PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Racial Slurs

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

patteeu
11-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Why should it be simple? Some issues fit better with a standard, rather than a bright line rule. With standards, we can have room for the acceptance of N****r Jim in "Huck Finn" but the prohibition of say, "Shut up, you stupid n****r."

I'll never understand why some people think standards are so difficult to cope with.

Having a list doesn't prevent you from allowing people to use ****er in the context of huck finn. In fact, the word ****er is already one of the few explicitly bannable words here, but that didn't prevent either of us from using it in a clinical context.

Having a list does prevent people from saying they had no notice, though. There's simply no justification for preserving this level of vagueness.

La literatura
11-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Having a list doesn't prevent you from allowing people to use ****er in the context of huck finn. In fact, the word ****er is already one of the few explicitly bannable words here, but that didn't prevent either of us from using it in a clinical context.

Having a list does prevent people from saying they had no notice, though. There's simply no justification for preserving this level of vagueness.

Right, that was a good example of the standard in action. Under the standard, everyone should be able to come up with a partial list in their head of things that would be considered racial slurs when used in context. If you can't work with the standard of not using racial slurs (in a derogatory manner), then you're probably not responsible enough to use the internet, anyway.

The list of racial slurs is long and unbearable to detail for these purposes; if the moderators were to set out a detailed guide with a list, they are bound to miss some. And then the argument becomes "Well, you didn't list [porch monkey, mud shark, someother vailpass favorite, etc.], therefore, I didn't have notice."

Let common sense be your guide. Anyway, there's no vagueness doctrine to chiefsplanet rules. We aren't interpreting your Constitution. If someone has trouble with this, perhaps a different forum will suit their purposes.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Right, that was a good example of the standard in action. Under the standard, everyone should be able to come up with a partial list in their head of things that would be considered racial slurs when used in context. If you can't work with the standard of not using racial slurs (in a derogatory manner), then you're probably not responsible enough to use the internet, anyway.

No, it's an example of an explicit list not being the impediment to a standard that you're claiming it would be. It's got the benefit of being a standard PLUS the benefit of being an explicitly disapproved word.

The list of racial slurs is long and unbearable to detail for these purposes; if the moderators were to set out a detailed guide with a list, they are bound to miss some. And then the argument becomes "Well, you didn't list [porch monkey, mud shark, someother vailpass favorite, etc.], therefore, I didn't have notice."

Let common sense be your guide. Anyway, there's no vagueness doctrine to chiefsplanet rules. We aren't interpreting your Constitution. If someone has trouble with this, perhaps a different forum will suit their purposes.

As offensive words are identified, people can be warned and the words can be added to the list. Roy was warned about raghead and the word can be added to the list. You don't have to anticipate every word in advance because you're not suffering any serious harm by having to issue a warning the first time the issue comes up instead of being instantly able to drop the ban hammer. And, of course, if the message is offensive enough, you can ban someone the first time anyway (although IMO that wouldn't have been at all justified in Roy's case).

Common sense can't be your guide when words like pillowbiter, redneck and whore are allowed. There's no real rhyme or reason involved. It's all based on moderator whim at this point (except for words like ****er, pillowbitergot, person of Hispanic heritage, and to a lesser extent raghead which have been identified).

La literatura
11-19-2012, 08:59 AM
As offensive words are identified, people can be warned and the words can be added to the list.

That's operating on someone's standard. It just gives the benefit of a warning. I'm okay with a warning for questionable uses. And words like whore and pillowbiter aren't racial slurs. Redneck isn't derogatory.

I bet the moderators wouldn't have a problem if you kept track of every single instance someone used a racial slur and got the handslap. It sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate for Official CP Racial Slur Tracker.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 09:04 AM
That's operating on someone's standard. It just gives the benefit of a warning. I'm okay with a warning for questionable uses. And words like whore and pillowbiter aren't racial slurs. Redneck isn't derogatory.

So are you suggesting that slurs against gay people, women, and country hicks are OK in a way that racial slurs are not or are you being hypertechnical about the thread topic?

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Common sense can't be your guide when words like pillowbiter, redneck and whore are allowed. There's no real rhyme or reason involved. It's all based on moderator whim at this point (except for words like ****er, pillowbitergot, person of Hispanic heritage, and to a lesser extent raghead which have been identified).

I have advocated for a while that they should have a list that way everyone knows upfront and no excuses.

Of course on the other hand there is a lot of posters on here that are pretty creative to get around using those words while still saying something racist or offensive.

I can see both sides to this argument...

patteeu
11-19-2012, 09:09 AM
I have advocated for a while that they should have a list that way everyone knows upfront and no excuses.

Of course on the other hand there is a lot of posters on here that are pretty creative to get around using those words while still saying something racist or offensive.

I can see both sides to this argument...

Yes. The moderators shouldn't be so handcuffed by a list that they can't ban someone who's going way over the top but somehow avoiding all listed words, but it's really not too much to ask to have clearly identified words (like nigger, beaner, raghead, and faggot) added to a list so that there's no excuse for their usage in an offensive manner).

La literatura
11-19-2012, 09:09 AM
So are you suggesting that slurs against gay people, women, and country hicks are OK in a way that racial slurs are not or are you being hypertechnical about the thread topic?

I'm being hypertechnical about the thread topic? Did you just not ask for an exhaustive and continually updated list from the moderators of offensive words?

patteeu
11-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm being hypertechnical about the thread topic? Did you just not ask for an exhaustive and continually updated list from the moderators of offensive words?

You didn't answer my question.

La literatura
11-19-2012, 09:11 AM
You didn't answer my question.

No, I don't think I'm being hypertechnical about this. I'm against calling a woman a whore in principle, but the word is not socially condemned like derogatory racial slurs used against minorities. It's often used in a non-derogatory fashion. Redneck isn't derogatory at all. F****t is, which is why the filter bans it.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Yes. The moderators shouldn't be so handcuffed by a list that they can't ban someone who's going way over the top but somehow avoiding all listed words, but it's really not too much to ask to have clearly identified words (like ****er, beaner, raghead, and pillowbitergot) added to a list so that there's no excuse for their usage in an offensive manner).

I agree. Right now I think it is all ambiguous.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 09:18 AM
No, I don't think I'm being hypertechnical about this. I'm against calling a woman a whore in principle, but the word is not socially condemned like derogatory racial slurs used against minorities. It's often used in a non-derogatory fashion. Redneck isn't derogatory at all. F****t is, which is why the filter bans it.

So you do think it's more OK to call a woman a whore or a poor rural person a redneck. I disagree.

You also seem to be able to live with the fact that faggot is an explicitly listed word, which seems to undermine your fear of the list.

BTW, someone should report you for filter evasion.

La literatura
11-19-2012, 09:19 AM
So you do think it's more OK to call a woman a whore or a poor rural person a redneck. I disagree.

You also seem to be able to live with the fact that pillowbitergot is an explicitly listed word, which seems to undermine your fear of the list.

BTW, someone should report you for filter evasion.

I don't have a fear of certain words being filtered. That's a separate issue, really. I think it's nonsense that we demand moderators come up with a continually updated list of prohibited racial slurs, and constantly play catch-up to the vailpasses of this forum.

cosmo20002
11-19-2012, 09:20 AM
It seems to me that you moderators have a duty, especially in this supposedly lightly moderated forum, to account for the fact that one side (the politically correct side) is going to report a lot of... let's call it borderline stuff... that the other side (the speech tolerance side) wouldn't report in reverse. If you only take action when posts are reported, especially in the absence of any clearly defined rules as to what words will trigger action, you're inevitably going to be acting in a biased manner.

That term is pretty much meaningless. 95% of complaints about "political correctness" are really just complaints about being able to be an obnoxious a-hole. Discouraging racial/ethnic slurs is not being "politically correct."

Also, we're on a message board. Its not like this is some noble 1st Amendment cause. Sticking up for people like vailpass (who sure is mentioned a lot on this topic) and Livesteam--why? You're really that concerned about someone being banned for some petty comment?

patteeu
11-19-2012, 09:22 AM
That term is pretty much meaningless. 95% of complaints about "political correctness" are really just complaints about being able to be an obnoxious a-hole. Discouraging racial/ethnic slurs is not being "politically correct."

Also, we're on a message board. Its not like this is some noble 1st Amendment cause. Sticking up for people like vailpass (who sure is mentioned a lot on this topic) and Livesteam--why? You're really that concerned about someone being banned for some petty comment?

Read Reaper's posts in this thread to see the shamefulness that is PC.

cosmo20002
11-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Read Reaper's posts in this thread to see the shamefulness that is PC.

Yeah, not seeing it there.

Its really pretty ridiculous to attach a negative connotation ("PC") to the 'act' of not using racial/ethnic slurs.

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Its really pretty ridiculous to attach a negative connotation ("PC") to the 'act' of not using racial/ethnic slurs.

If you look, it was his reasoning. Particularly, on why it's okay to do to whites.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 09:42 AM
If you look, it was his reasoning. Particularly, on why it's okay to do to whites.

What words do you find offensive in regards to white people?

Cracker?
Honky?
white trash?

patteeu
11-19-2012, 09:47 AM

I'm not against banning racial slurs at all. I'm not sure why you have that impression. One of the few clear rules we've had on this site forever is that obvious racial slurs aren't tolerated. I have no problem with that. I just want them to be made as obvious as possible as we creep toward prohibiting more and more of them. And I don't think we should ban marginal slurs for one group if we aren't doing it across the board.

The PC part comes into play when people assume racism where it's not explicitly present and when people have a lower tolerance threshold for words that aren't clearly the types of racial slurs that we ban here. For example, we clearly ban people for abusive use of the word ****er (aka the n-word, in case you don't know what the filtered result means). But it's not so clear that we'd ban someone for use of the word "injun" (unless maybe if it was abusively directed at oldandslow or one of our other known American Indian / Native American posters, but even then I'm not sure).

vailpass
11-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I have posted a lot about the unnecessary personal attacks on this board. Just because its DC doesn't mean you are allowed to insult to just insult.

We can get in peoples faces, tell them their ideas or opinions are really stupid, idiotic etc be as harsh as you desire. But IMHO we can and should refrain from personal attacks. Attack the idea/position, not the person.

Thank you for representing the platform of the Calorically Challenged party. You may now take your seats.

vailpass
11-19-2012, 10:45 AM
So vailpass is on notice.

And now we get to read endless posts from people pretending the rules around here are just too abstract for them to fully comprehend. They think they are being clever and subtle about getting all butthurt.

Negro please. Why do you single me out?

vailpass
11-19-2012, 10:47 AM
The game is up, vailpass.

What game is that?

vailpass
11-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Could you please show me the rule that was made making it okay to use a racist tone, just as long as you don't actual use name calling to do it? I didn't get to vote on that one and I've been here just as long as you.

Could you please define "racist tone"?

Donger
11-19-2012, 10:50 AM

Cracker?
Honky?
white trash?

The first two.

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Cracker?
Honky?
white trash?

You're asking me personally? None of those offend me. I was just commenting on his reasoning for it.

Oh, and not all whites are white trash.

Garcia Bronco
11-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Personal attacks are subjective and race is defined as geography and political borders as well as group membership.

So how far do you want to go?

Redneck is a racist term
Donks can be a racist term
Mexican can be racist term...

So what are we really talking about here? Limiting free speech.

You either support the ideals of free speech, or you do not. Supporting free speech means reading and hearing things you would rather not and exercising tolerance for ideas you would spend your life defeating. It's not easy. Most do not have the intestinal fortitude to actually support free speech even though they say otherwise.

So if you want to change the rules...fine. However I doubt any mod has the actual commitment to enforce the policy evenly over the message board using populace.

vailpass
11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Personal attacks are subjective and race is defined as geography and political borders as well as group membership.

Redneck is a racist term

You either support the ideals of free speech, or you do not. Supporting free speech means reading and hearing things you would rather not and exercising tolerance for ideas you would spend your life defeating. It's not easy. Most do not have the intestinal fortitude to actually support free speech even though they say otherwise.

It's a private BB. The mods are free to enforce as they choose so long as they have Kyle's approval.

Not that your points are any less valid because of that.

Garcia Bronco
11-19-2012, 10:58 AM
It's a private BB. the mods are free to enforce as they choose so long as they have Kyle's approval.

I wasn't making a US Constitutional argument. I clearly qualified the "ideals" of free speech.

vailpass
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I wasn't making a US Constitutional argument. I clearly qualified the "ideals" of free speech.

Got ya'. Thanks. It seems the group who claim tolerance as their highway to the future have decided to try and make it a one-way street.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 11:08 AM
The first two.

why?

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 11:14 AM
I thought race was biology. At least that's what I've read in anthro. People have moved around too much to determine by geography. But politics? Hmmmm.....I dunno about that one.

Donger
11-19-2012, 11:21 AM
why?

Because they are racial slurs.

3rd&48ers
11-19-2012, 11:25 AM

Redneck is pretty offensive to me actually

Baby Lee
11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Nope, I am going to pester you until you finally act like a man and answer the questions. For several years I have pretty much tried to ignore your arrogance towards me. I have had enough, you can't handle somebody calling you out. I found this out several years ago. But you see ZACH, I let it go until now. You love to have your cake and eat it too.

You are find with getting your questions answered so that you can spin your arrogance & liberalism on it.

But the facts are, you do not have the balls to answer the questions honestly from anybody in return, instead you oil yourself up like a worm and wiggling yourself out of it.

You do a good job there Slick Willie. Come clean, No nuts !

From the pics I've seen, he likes to eat his cake and eat it too.

;)

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Because they are racial slurs.

how so?

Baby Lee
11-19-2012, 11:35 AM

One of the more blatant [and hilarious] slurs was in Royal Tennenbaums, when Royal [Hackman] called Henry [Glover] 'Coltraine' with all the venom he could muster

Donger
11-19-2012, 11:40 AM
how so?

For the same reason as the "N" word is a racial slur. The purpose of those words is a reference to the person on the receiving end's race in a derogatory way.

WilliamTheIrish
11-19-2012, 11:41 AM
From the pics I've seen, he likes to eat his cake and eat it too.

;)

LMAO

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
For the same reason as the "N" word is a racial slur. The purpose of those words is a reference to the person on the receiving end's race in a derogatory way.

what's derogatory?

Donger
11-19-2012, 12:12 PM
what's derogatory?

Before I answer that, what's derogatory about calling a Black person the "N" word?

3rd&48ers
11-19-2012, 12:22 PM
That isn't true.

You have spent countless posts seeking validation from other people on this board.

Go buy a self help book or something...the more you try the worse you look.

What are you gonna do now that Hostess went out of business?

|Zach|
11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
What are you gonna do now that Hostess went out of business?

Not drive a truck.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Before I answer that, what's derogatory about calling a Black person the "N" word?

I asked you first

Donger
11-19-2012, 12:57 PM
I asked you first

Because in common usage, cracker is a pejorative. For example, when a Black person uses that word in the direction of a White person, it is usually both racial in connotation and a slur.

Think Chris Rock.

Now, my answer, please.

Garcia Bronco
11-19-2012, 12:57 PM
I thought race was biology. At least that's what I've read in anthro. People have moved around too much to determine by geography. But politics? Hmmmm.....I dunno about that one.

Political Borders is another way of saying a country. Like. "the Political Borders of the US extend further than just North America."

Technically speaking were are all the same race because we are all in the same species. If we look at it that way the whole "you offended me because you denoted my race" is nonsense and really more about that person being offended as an individual. So what the OP is suggesting is that no one here as the right to offend anyone. And that anyone offended has the right to complain and have a trial of said offender relative to their communication style.

3rd&48ers
11-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Not drive a truck.

That ain't no truck tons of fun, thats a land Yacht
AM/FM/CD and my own XM
AC/PS/Anti-Lock brakes/Cruise/Tilt/Jake Brake /SRS/
Automatic Fifth Wheel Release, Air Ride Suspension

http://www.handyshippingguide.com/_uploads/images/news/250239414_SANY0040.JPG

3rd&48ers
11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Not drive a truck.

Let's me and you bury the hatchet...

I will take you to McDonalds and watch the numbers change on the sign.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Because in common usage, cracker is a pejorative. For example, when a Black person uses that word in the direction of a White person, it is usually both racial in connotation and a slur.

Think Chris Rock.

Now, my answer, please.

Because in common usage, nigger is a pejorative. For example, when a white person uses that word in the direction of a black person, it is usually both racial in connotation and a slur.

Think Tea Party. ;)

But many black people think it is ok to call each other nigger just like us white people don't mind calling each other cracker, honky or redneck.

3rd&48ers
11-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Because in common usage, ****er is a pejorative. For example, when a white person uses that word in the direction of a black person, it is usually both racial in connotation and a slur.

Think Tea Party. ;)

But many black people think it is ok to call each other ****er just like us white people don't mind calling each other cracker, honky or redneck.

Filter Evasion, Reported

|Zach|
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
That ain't no truck tons of fun, thats a land Yacht
AM/FM/CD and my own XM
AC/PS/Anti-Lock brakes/Cruise/Tilt/Jake Brake /SRS/
Automatic Fifth Wheel Release, Air Ride Suspension

http://www.handyshippingguide.com/_uploads/images/news/250239414_SANY0040.JPG

You really shouldn't need me to validate to you how cute your truck is.

But here you are...

....again.

Donger
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Because in common usage, ****er is a pejorative. For example, when a white person uses that word in the direction of a black person, it is usually both racial in connotation and a slur.

Think Tea Party. ;)

But many black people think it is ok to call each other ****er just like us white people don't mind calling each other cracker, honky or redneck.

Right, so when a Black person calls a White person a cracker, it's a racial slur.

I'm glad we agree.

3rd&48ers
11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
You really shouldn't need me to validate to you how cute your truck is.

But here you are...

....again.

Hey this one runs on Liquefied Natural Gas, I bet you have alot of that natural gas being a big old fat fuck huh?

http://fleetowner.com/site-files/fleetowner.com/files/imagecache/medium_img/uploads/2012/11/fedex-freight-lng-tractor.jpg

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Right, so when a Black person calls a White person a cracker, it's a racial slur.

I'm glad we agree.

Saltine

Donger
11-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Saltine

LMAO

Garcia Bronco
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM

I'm glad we agree.

And this is the part I think the mods would have a hard time policing.

VAChief
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM

I'm glad we agree.

I think everyone could agree Cracker is not implied in a complimentary way. However, no one in my family or generations of family were persecuted for the color of my skin.

It is silly to compare the plight of the poor downtrodden white male with sand in his vagine over getting called a cracker and someone who knowingly uses the n word and all that history implies with that word.

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Think Tea Party. ;)

What about Tea Bagger? That's definitely a slur.

3rd&48ers
11-19-2012, 01:16 PM
A tea bagger is the one hovering his ballsack over the teabagees mouth

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:18 PM

you love tea bagging so why is it a slur?

Garcia Bronco
I think everyone could agree Cracker is not implied in a complimentary way. However, no one in my family or generations of family were persecuted for the color of my skin.

If your ancestry is in Virginia, they may not be true. We landed in Jamestown in 1635 and mated with the local Indians. Those offspring were subjected to disadvantages due to their color of skin and/or origin. My point is, you never know.

But...

WTF does that have to do with today?

BucEyedPea
Yes I know. That's why it's derogatory.

patteeu

It is silly to compare the plight of the poor downtrodden white male with sand in his vagine over getting called a cracker and someone who knowingly uses the n word and all that history implies with that word.

:facepalm: It's silly to think that your family should be the measuring stick for this or to think that treating races differently is a good way to bring us all together in a spirit of equality.

BucEyedPea
you love tea bagging so why is it a slur?

I'm talking about a political group. Not sex. You're being sexist. Besides, you don't know that.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm talking about a political group. Not sex. You're being sexist. Besides, you don't know that.

It is entirely sexual and yes I do know.

VAChief
11-19-2012, 01:23 PM
If your ancestry is in Virginia, they may not be true. We landed in Jamestown in 1635 and mated with the local Indians. Those offspring were subjected to disadvantages due to their color of skin and/or origin. My point is, you never know.

But...

WTF does that have to do with today?

I'm just saying it is silly to equate the same depth of feeling to Cracker as the n word. I don't know if any white male with his own set of balls who could give a rat's ass about that word or its usage. We have never been the oppressed in this country in the same way that the blacks and that word's association with that oppression.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm just saying it is silly to equate the same depth of feeling to Cracker as the n word. I don't know if any white male with his own set of balls who could give a rat's ass about that word or its usage. We have never been the oppressed in this country in the same way that the blacks and that word's association with that oppression.

Yep. OH NOES he called me cracker let's fight yo

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
It is entirely sexual and yes I do know.

Not in this context. This context makes it sexual to make it a slur.

No you don't know.

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 01:27 PM

It doesn't have the same depth but some will take offense to it because they don't themselves as one.

VAChief
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
:facepalm: It's silly to think that your family should be the measuring stick for this or to think that treating races differently is a good way to bring us all together in a spirit of equality.

Who said anything about treating them differently? I am saying the n word is a much uglier and offensive word to use. I find it odd when I hear those seemingly upset that they can't use it "but Eddie Murphy" can use it. What does it matter, unless you feel that way?

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Not in this context. This context makes it sexual to make it a slur.

No you don't know.

Yes it is.

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Nope

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Nope

Then explain your reasoning.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 01:37 PM

At some point, that excuse has to go by the wayside.

cosmo20002
11-19-2012, 01:37 PM

Did the mods also ban common sense?

patteeu
11-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Who said anything about treating them differently? I am saying the n word is a much uglier and offensive word to use. I find it odd when I hear those seemingly upset that they can't use it "but Eddie Murphy" can use it. What does it matter, unless you feel that way?

You did. You're treating them differently to say that one is much uglier and more offensive.

cosmo20002
11-19-2012, 01:40 PM

If you choose to join a dipshit political movement based on ignorance, then you get the negative names associated with it as well.

Donger
11-19-2012, 01:42 PM

None of which has anything to do with whether or not cracker (or equivalent) is a racial slur.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
If you choose to join a dipshit political movement based on ignorance, then you get the negative names associated with it as well.

The tea party movement is based on common sense.

Donger
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM

I don't see anyone trying to equate them.

Donger
11-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Wait, so BEP likes teabagging?

Garcia Bronco
11-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Every group in one way or another has been oppressed at some point in history, including "white" people, but one must have a complete understanding of history to know. For example, even going back as far as we can in recorded history there have been economies built on slavery. What were talkng about in this vein is equality and regardless of the past, moving forward, we can't single out some behaviors of the same stimulus and not others in the name of equality when it's clearly not equal.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
The tea party movement is based on common sense.

Tea Bagger

Swanman
11-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Alonzo Bodden doing some great comedy about both black and white sterotypes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q5GXcRPbrC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Wait, so BEP likes teabagging?

She loves ATM as well

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
It caught Donger's attention because he thinks with his dong.

Phobia
11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
And now we see why Mods ignore most of the crap in D.C. We pick the top 1% of obtuse people and put them in a room designed for political fighting and we're supposed to referee that stuff? Nah. Not my cup of tea.

BucEyedPea
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Not my cup of tea.

Do you use a bag? Or do you brew it loose? :p

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
And now we see why Mods ignore most of the crap in D.C. We pick the top 1% of obtuse people and put them in a room designed for political fighting and we're supposed to referee that stuff? Nah. Not my cup of tea.

Tea bagger

mlyonsd
11-19-2012, 02:00 PM

I might have suggested just using the ban hammer when necessary as opposed to an editorial thread that would do nothing but fan the flames.

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
I might have suggested just using the ban hammer when necessary as opposed to an editorial thread that would do nothing but fan the flames.

Where is the fun in that?

Garcia Bronco
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
The ban hammer must be applied evenly and the same way every time, otherwise you're no different than a tyrant imposing your will on everyone else.

VAChief
11-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Every group in one way or another has been oppressed at some point in history, including "white" people, but one must have a complete understanding of history to know. For example, even going back as far as we can in recorded history there have been economies built on slavery. What were talkng about in this vein is equality and regardless of the past, moving forward, we can't single out some behaviors of the same stimulus and not others in the name of equality when it's clearly not equal.

Of course that is true, I've seen Spartacus too!

Racism and slavery is bad no matter who perpetrates it. My main point was that using the n word carries with it the fairly recent attachment of human degradation in a way that cracker doesn't. Is cracker offensive? Maybe to some, I don't know anyone, but I am willing to stipulate there are some genuinely who are offended. Historically, though we know why the n word is offensive to blacks when whites use it. We are still just a generation away from some pretty horrific abuses.

If someone's vocabulary is so stunted from the lack of access to the n word, then being a racist is the least of their problems.

Garcia Bronco
11-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Racism and slavery is bad no matter who perpetrates it. My main point was that using the n word carries with it the fairly recent attachment of human degradation in a way that cracker doesn't. Is cracker offensive? Maybe to some, I don't know anyone, but I am willing to stipulate there are some genuinely who are offended. Historically, though we know why the n word is offensive to blacks when whites use it. We are still just a generation away from some pretty horrific abuses.

If someone's vocabulary is so stunted from the lack of access to the n word, then being a racist is the least of their problems.

Perhaps. But if we're talking equality, then we can't use any of them and as a community we have to address each use if we address even one. Otherwise we are no different than those who we lament.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 02:15 PM

But the lack of access to the word cracker leads to an unacceptable stunting of vocabulary?

Swanman
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b0R3OjMcOqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

durtyrute
11-19-2012, 02:33 PM
That sums up this thread perfectly.

RedNeckRaider
11-19-2012, 02:36 PM

Redneck is a racist term

So if you want to change the rules...fine. However I doubt any mod has the actual commitment to enforce the policy evenly over the message board using populace.

Here we go with the redneck bashing again :banghead: I am now forced to report myself for calling myself a racist name. RedNeckRaider is a nickname I picked up years ago. I see nothing offensive about it at all. I also use the term peckerwood with guys I grew up with. Tensions were high when I went to school. Blacks and whites fighting was very common. The blacks would call us peckerwoods. It became a term we embraced and made it known we were peckerwoods who stood their ground. The funny thing is the guys we fought with the hardest later became friends. I guess we just got tired of hitting each other lol also several of us played ball together. Anyway long story short it is impossible not to offend someone who wishes to be offended. Why allow someone to have the power to offend you when they are hidden by a username and a keyboard?

go bowe
11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Here we go with the redneck bashing again :banghead: I am now forced to report myself for calling myself a racist name. RedNeckRaider is a nickname I picked up years ago. I see nothing offensive about it at all. I also use the term peckerwood with guys I grew up with. Tensions were high when I went to school. Blacks and whites fighting was very common. The blacks would call us peckerwoods. It became a term we embraced and made it known we were peckerwoods who stood their ground. The funny thing is the guys we fought with the hardest later became friends. I guess we just got tired of hitting each other lol also several of us played ball together. Anyway long story short it is impossible not to offend someone who wishes to be offended. Why allow someone to have the power to offend you when they are hidden by a username and a keyboard?

COMMUNIST HIPPY!!!!

J Diddy
11-19-2012, 04:37 PM
At some point, that excuse has to go by the wayside.

I would say that time will be about the time the people alive before 1970 pass.

J Diddy
11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Yep. OH NOES he called me cracker let's fight yo

If you have any nieces or nephews then you would be Uncle Cracker. This would mean you have to make gay love to kenny chesney.

Stay away from nieces or nephews.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Why? Hasn't anyone used a racial slur or committed a violent crime based on racism since then? What's so special about 1970?

VAChief
11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Perhaps. But if we're talking equality, then we can't use any of them and as a community we have to address each use if we address even one. Otherwise we are no different than those who we lament.

While I agree in principle, I think there are degrees of offensiveness where crossing those lines leaves no doubt of your intent. I don't however see a reason to censor anyone on here personally. If someone wants to act like an ignorant fool you let them. Their actions speak for themselves.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
If you have any nieces or nephews then you would be Uncle Cracker. This would mean you have to make gay love to kenny chesney.

Stay away from nieces or nephews.

Are we allowed to joke about pedophilia or is this a reportable offense? Is it only allowed if Dane's not involved or is it OK at any time?

go bowe
11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Are we allowed to joke about pedophilia or is this a reportable offense? Is it only allowed if Dane's not involved or is it OK at any time?

reported :p

RedNeckRaider
11-19-2012, 04:59 PM

I was born before 1970. I live by the old school code of owning my honesty, integrity, and honor knowing they cannot be taken from me and can only be given away. I still own them. I judge people in my life by that standard. I also broke the 1970 rule by raising my kids with the same standard and I am proud that they hold these values to this day~

go bowe
11-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Why? Hasn't anyone used a racial slur or committed a violent crime based on racism since then? What's so special about 1970?

he said people who were born before 1970 tend to be racists and people younger are post-racial...

while there's some truth to that, there are obviously many exceptions...

for example, i know more than a few young republicans... :p

LiveSteam
11-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Well poop

Phobia
11-19-2012, 07:09 PM

Use your best judgment. If you're actively involved in a feud with somebody, your jokes aren't going to go over as jokes.

J Diddy
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM

It would only be pedophilia if kenney chesney was your nephew. Which most likely wouldn't be what I was implying because I said "nieces or nephews"

Saul Good
11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
What about using code? For example, I'm thinking of some really offensive things right now. I will express them by using the word "zombie" to symbolize my racist, homophobic, misogynistic, xenophobic, etc. intent of the moment. It's kind of like saying "smurf" only with a distinct intolerance of people different than (inferior to) me.

ClevelandBronco
11-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Here's the thing: If you want me to respect you as a man, that's cool. It's my default position and you'd have to work your way into a state of disrespect.

However, if you want me to respect you as a white man, or a black woman, or a Latino child or any other fucking thing, you can go pound sand, cracker (or whatever). By demanding my respect for such foolishness, you just lost my respect. And you know what? I don't care how that makes you feel or not feel. You don't fucking matter to me.

J Diddy
11-19-2012, 07:25 PM

I was thinking more about the time frame as to after civil rights legislation was signed and affirmative action enforced. After all that things did change. Sure bad things did happen still, but law suits enforcing those acts have made businesses very conscious to the policies. As to specifically 1970, it was more an arbitrary number.

J Diddy
11-19-2012, 07:29 PM
I was born before 1970. I live by the old school code of owning my honesty, integrity, and honor knowing they cannot be taken from me and can only be given away. I still own them. I judge people in my life by that standard. I also broke the 1970 rule by raising my kids with the same standard and I am proud that they hold these values to this day~

See my patteeu post. I was talking about the country wide oppression of the negro. Obviously, not all felt that way or the civil rights act, etc. wouldn't have been signed.

J Diddy
11-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Use your best judgment. If you're actively involved in a feud with somebody, your jokes aren't going to go over as jokes.
It wasn't a pedo joke. It was an Uncle Kracker-Chesney joke.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 07:53 PM

I always use my best judgment. But when a moderator judgment was issued a while back, there wasn't much guidance offered and my reasonable questions went unanswered, so there isn't a lot to go on.

What do jokes have to do with feuds? Are you willing to explain the pedophilia rule?

patteeu
11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
It would only be pedophilia if kenney chesney was your nephew. Which most likely wouldn't be what I was implying because I said "nieces or nephews"

Ok. I was flashing back to the time someone complained when I told them to stay away from my kids.

J Diddy
11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
I always use my best judgment. But when a moderator judgment was issued a while back, there wasn't much guidance offered and my reasonable questions went unanswered, so there isn't a lot to go on.

What do jokes have to do with feuds? Are you willing to explain the pedophilia rule?

Jesus, do you have to bitch about everything?

dirk digler
11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I thought this was funny considering the topic. Took this tonight on the way home from work.

patteeu
11-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Jesus, do you have to bitch about everything?

No, and my name's not Jesus.

KC native
11-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Well poop

How was your vacation bitch? ROFL

KC native
11-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Keep carrying the water for the board's racists patt. One day, just maybe, someone other than dildo will agree with you.

WoodDraw
11-19-2012, 10:59 PM
This thread is ridiculous. The entire idea that people need guidance on how to act boggles my mind. Is there an epidemic of people being called "cracker" around here that I'm not aware of? With the massive black involvement in this forum, I'm sure there is and I just missed it.

There's a select group of people here, and everyone knows who they are, that are consistently racist. It doesn't bother me much, because I see their names and just skip the post. That doesn't make it acceptable.

|Zach|
11-19-2012, 11:03 PM
This thread is ridiculous. The entire idea that people need guidance on how to act boggles my mind. Is there an epidemic of people being called "cracker" around here that I'm not aware of? With the massive black involvement in this forum, I'm sure there is and I just missed it.

There's a select group of people here, and everyone knows who they are, that are consistently racist. It doesn't bother me much, because I see their names and just skip the post. That doesn't make it acceptable.

:thumb:

Phobia
11-19-2012, 11:20 PM

Here's the pedophile rule in a nutshell. If you're hanging out with your friends and they're okay with being called pedophile or child molester down at the bar, then have at it. If you're not friendly with somebody on here and in the course of your disagreement you decide that calling them a pedophile strengthens your position then you will probably be banned for a while if that post is reported. This little site we have here isn't all that difficult. Most reasonable people are able to survive without even looking at the rules. It's just common sense. If you can't say it standing on top of a table in a crowded bar without fear for your safety then don't say it here.

listopencil
11-19-2012, 11:25 PM
he said people who were born before 1970 tend to be racists and people younger are post-racial...

while there's some truth to that, there are obviously many exceptions...

for example, i know more than a few young republicans... :p

go bowe
11-19-2012, 11:39 PM

young pup...

i would have gone with 64 when the civil rights act was passed instead of 70 though...

listopencil
11-20-2012, 12:02 AM
young pup...

i would have gone with 64 when the civil rights act was passed instead of 70 though...

It's hard to pin down, really. Certainly there were people who were born (and raised) here before 1970 that you wouldn't consider racist. And it's not like a gigantic anti-racist wave magically spread over the entire country at some point in the past, it just became less and less acceptable over the decades.

My dad was born in 1938. When he was very young he met another boy in his neighborhood and quickly became friends with him. They played for hours in front of my dad's house the first day they met. When my dad came inside, his (very pissed off) dad told him, "I don't ever want to see you playing with that nigger boy again."

My dad was crushed. He walked into the kitchen and sat at the table near his mom. He started to complain and his mom said, "You heard your dad. He doesn't ever want to see you play with that boy again." So after that they always left the neighborhood to play and remained good friends for years until they lost track of each other. This was in the 40's. It made enough of an impression that my dad told me that story about forty years later.

My dad wasn't Politically Correct by any means. He knew the crappiest racist jokes and would tell them just to see how you'd react. I remember him saying once, in his own living room, "Black people are great, everybody should own one." And yet he never failed to treat people with respect who were different than him...unless they lost his respect. He'd tell jokes or make comments about gay people but I found out after he died that not only did he know that my step uncle (unrelated to him) was gay (big family secret), but treated him with dignity and respect. Uncommon in that time period and in that location.

I think, for the most part, people who weren't dicks knew that racism was wrong well before our magic enlightenment. It was socially acceptable though. So that just made it easier to be a dick. I think the mods are just trying to make sure that it doesn't become socially acceptable here.

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 04:24 AM
:thumb:+http://www.todayifoundout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/hostess-twinkies.jpg

go bowe
11-20-2012, 04:45 AM
It's hard to pin down, really. Certainly there were people who were born (and raised) here before 1970 that you wouldn't consider racist. And it's not like a gigantic anti-racist wave magically spread over the entire country at some point in the past, it just became less and less acceptable over the decades.

My dad was born in 1938. When he was very young he met another boy in his neighborhood and quickly became friends with him. They played for hours in front of my dad's house the first day they met. When my dad came inside, his (very pissed off) dad told him, "I don't ever want to see you playing with that ****er boy again."

My dad was crushed. He walked into the kitchen and sat at the table near his mom. He started to complain and his mom said, "You heard your dad. He doesn't ever want to see you play with that boy again." So after that they always left the neighborhood to play and remained good friends for years until they lost track of each other. This was in the 40's. It made enough of an impression that my dad told me that story about forty years later.

My dad wasn't Politically Correct by any means. He knew the crappiest racist jokes and would tell them just to see how you'd react. I remember him saying once, in his own living room, "Black people are great, everybody should own one." And yet he never failed to treat people with respect who were different than him...unless they lost his respect. He'd tell jokes or make comments about gay people but I found out after he died that not only did he know that my step uncle (unrelated to him) was gay (big family secret), but treated him with dignity and respect. Uncommon in that time period and in that location.

I think, for the most part, people who weren't dicks knew that racism was wrong well before our magic enlightenment. It was socially acceptable though. So that just made it easier to be a dick. I think the mods are just trying to make sure that it doesn't become socially acceptable here.

great post...

i lived through the change from socially acceptable to not, in most circles...

it was a wild time filled with desperation and promise all at the same time...

i was almost a pariah in junior high school because i had so many black friends and wasn't bashful about it, but i didn't care...

friends are friends, regardless of race or other circumstances...

it just took some people longer to figure it out...

and some still haven't...

vailpass
11-20-2012, 11:34 AM

An adult male that refers to other males as "bitch" on a regular basis is at the bottom rung of the societal ladder.
Thanks for your support.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 11:35 AM

Thuper!!!!

KC native
11-20-2012, 11:39 AM
An adult male that refers to other males as "bitch" on a regular basis is at the bottom rung of the societal ladder.
Thanks for your support.

Treading lightly these days huh bitch?

vailpass
11-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Holy Frijole! Look at the greaseball that thinks anything is different today than it was last week or last year.
You are still the same dead-end loser you ever were; don't let a few limp wristed sally-boys on an internet BB get you to thinking you are anything more.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Here's the pedophile rule in a nutshell. If you're hanging out with your friends and they're okay with being called pedophile or child molester down at the bar, then have at it. If you're not friendly with somebody on here and in the course of your disagreement you decide that calling them a pedophile strengthens your position then you will probably be banned for a while if that post is reported. This little site we have here isn't all that difficult. Most reasonable people are able to survive without even looking at the rules. It's just common sense. If you can't say it standing on top of a table in a crowded bar without fear for your safety then don't say it here.

I was warned and my post was quoted by a mod for speaking of pedophilia in the middle of an argument with Dane after he had broached the subject of sex with minors including my own daughter, but as far as I know he received no warning and he had none of his posts quoted. I didn't call him a pedophile so it doesn't fit into that rule. Does Dane have a special treatment clause in his membership agreement? Do moderators have a duty to evaluate both sides of a dispute or should we just expect them to swoop in on a reported post and pass judgment without bothering to understand the context and without weighing it against a defense from the accused poster?

People tell other people to die in an aids fire or drink antifreeze here. In the heat of arguments they call people cunts, pillowbiters or worse. It sounds good to say people just need to use common sense, but when you have a special rule for calling someone a pedophile that doesn't match up with rules about other forms of namecalling, it really leaves the realm of common sense.

And what happens if we really believe a guy might be a pedophile? Dane's weird reaction to that subject makes me wonder if there's not some fire creating all that smoke. Like maybe he's been accused in the past or something (pure speculation). Obviously I don't know him so I don't have any idea other than the really weird vibe so I'm not making an accusation. But I still wouldn't let him hang around my kids.

HemiEd
11-20-2012, 11:51 AM

I hope I never go into a bar unarmed where it is allowable to say 20% of the stuff posted on this board.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
[/B]

I hope I never go into a bar unarmed where it is allowable to say 20% of the stuff posted on this board.

Yeah it's pretty unrealistic to think the same rules apply on the intertubes and in real life.

Inspector
11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
IMO...power trips and double standards are an interesting study of our humanity.

Outstanding to see it on display for our analysis.

Cool stuff - carry on.

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
I was warned and my post was quoted by a mod for speaking of pedophilia in the middle of an argument with Dane after he had broached the subject of sex with minors including my own daughter, but as far as I know he received no warning and he had none of his posts quoted. I didn't call him a pedophile so it doesn't fit into that rule. Does Dane have a special treatment clause in his membership agreement? Do moderators have a duty to evaluate both sides of a dispute or should we just expect them to swoop in on a reported post and pass judgment without bothering to understand the context and without weighing it against a defense from the accused poster?

People tell other people to die in an aids fire or drink antifreeze here. In the heat of arguments they call people ****s, pillowbiters or worse. It sounds good to say people just need to use common sense, but when you have a special rule for calling someone a pedophile that doesn't match up with rules about other forms of namecalling, it really leaves the realm of common sense.

And what happens if we really believe a guy might be a pedophile? Dane's weird reaction to that subject makes me wonder if there's not some fire creating all that smoke. Like maybe he's been accused in the past or something (pure speculation). Obviously I don't know him so I don't have any idea other than the really weird vibe so I'm not making an accusation. But I still wouldn't let him hang around my kids.

Damn, that guy did that shit to you too?

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 12:17 PM

That's an amazing rule there when people can talk that shit about 14 yr old girls and you can't call them what you think they are. others can wish kids get raped by 400lb men, others can call children with learning disabilities retards but if you cross that line and call someone a ped after they just started talking about screwing your 14 yr old, you ass is outta here.

Sounds about right...

vailpass
11-20-2012, 12:26 PM
That's an amazing rule there when people can talk that shit about 14 yr old girls and you can't call them what you think they are. others can wish kids get raped by 400lb men, others can call children with learning disabilities retards but if you cross that line and call someone a ped after they just started talking about screwing your 14 yr old, you ass is outta here.

Sounds about right...

Yep. In the interest of full disclosure I'd like to see the names of all who report posts for racist content, and the posts in question, made public. Let's see what is flying and what is not.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Yep. In the interest of full disclosure I'd like to see the names of all who report posts for racist content, and the posts in question, made public. Let's see what is flying and what is not.

It would be interesting if we could see what posts are reported. I think the reporting process itself should be anonymous, but some kind of graphic at the bottom of the post that displays a red "R" with a number next to it would be fun.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Something like a little version of this...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vVJwKahwH3E/TffHyh4OkcI/AAAAAAAAA5o/1gi5RR_2uUA/s1600/red-solid-capital-r-block-just-like-a-rolling-dice.jpg

...with a little number next to it. In front of the rep button.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Maybe make it blink on and off.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 12:32 PM
It would be interesting if we could see what posts are reported. I think the reporting process itself should be anonymous, but some kind of graphic at the bottom of the post that displays a red "R" with a number next to it would be fun.

Oh I'd be interested to see the names of those reporting as well, and the frequency with which they report.

Too, publishing the names acts as a deterrent to frivolous reports.

La literatura
11-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Yeah, we can start with you. You report posts.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah, we can start with you. You report posts.

Yep, and proud of it. By all means, make my report public as long as we make all reports public.

I have reported one post in the entire time that I have been here.

I reported you for bypassing the filter to make it look like people were saying the N word.

I did it not because I was concerned but because I wanted to **** with you.

There were multiple other reports of your posts.

Immediately after I reported your post I said I did so in a public post to you .

I enjoy the fact that a year later it still causes you diaper rash and would do it again in a minute for the amusement of it all.

La literatura
11-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Yep, and proud of it.

Truly, generations from now, we will look back and know that this was vailpass's finest moment.

KC native
11-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Holy Frijole! Look at the greaseball that thinks anything is different today than it was last week or last year.
You are still the same dead-end loser you ever were; don't let a few limp wristed sally-boys on an internet BB get you to thinking you are anything more.

Says the angry, old racist ROFL

KC native
11-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Yep, and proud of it. By all means, make my report public as long as we make all reports public.

I have reported one post in the entire time that I have been here.

I reported you for bypassing the filter to make it look like people were saying the N word.

I did it not because I was concerned but because I wanted to **** with you.

There were multiple other reports of your posts.

Immediately after I reported your post I said I did so in a public post to you .

I enjoy the fact that a year later it still causes you diaper rash and would do it again in a minute for the amusement of it all.

You are a petty little bitch. I bet you're the type to call code compliance on your neighbors rather than knock on their door and talk to them.

Donger
11-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Cool. Speedy shows up.

KC native
11-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Cool. Speedy shows up.

Yea, I went down for the F1 race so I wasn't around for the beginning of this thread.

Glad to see you're still a sore bitch when it comes to Hispanics.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Cool. Speedy shows up.

My bad.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:03 PM

People tell other people to die in an aids fire or drink antifreeze here. In the heat of arguments they call people ****s, pillowbiters or worse. It sounds good to say people just need to use common sense, but when you have a special rule for calling someone a pedophile that doesn't match up with rules about other forms of namecalling, it really leaves the realm of common sense.

:spock:

I suppose if the circumstances were so unbearable you could just log off.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Cool. Speedy shows up.

Please tell me how that isn't a racial slur.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
You are a petty little bitch. I bet you're the type to call code compliance on your neighbors rather than knock on their door and talk to them.

You poor bastard. You really don't get it.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Please tell me how it is.
Oh my. Are you one of them?

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh my. Are you one of them?
By one do you mean one who thinks its wrong to call names based on race?

Yeah, guess it was my upbringing. If it offends, I try to not repeat it. I prefer to go after their intellect.

Donger
11-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Yea, I went down for the F1 race so I wasn't around for the beginning of this thread.

Glad to see you're still a sore bitch when it comes to Hispanics.

Cool. I didn't get to go but I watched it on Speed. Looked like a great venue.

I'm only sore about illegal Hispanics and those legal Hispanics who support illegal immigration. But you knew that.

Donger
11-20-2012, 01:09 PM

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:11 PM
By one do you mean one who thinks its wrong to call names based on race?

Yeah, guess it was my upbringing. If it offends, I try to not repeat it. I prefer to go after their intellect.

One who feels the need to cry unnecessarily. One who is looking to get offended.
One who makes themselves a pain in the ass so people are glad when they leave the party.
That one.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 01:12 PM

You're probably right. Everything is a racial slur. :spock:

On second thought, it's not. According to the Racial Slur Database (http://www.rsdb.org/full), which has such an exhaustive list of "slurs" that the word "Chief" is included (uh oh, now we're in trouble), that does not qualify. There are well over 2000 entries in that database, btw.

J Diddy

Please tell me how you define it.

patteeu

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:13 PM
You're probably right. Everything is a racial slur. :spock:

On second thought, it's not. According to the Racial Slur Database (http://www.rsdb.org/full), which has such an exhaustive list of "slurs" that the word "Chief" is included (uh oh, now we're in trouble), that does not qualify. There are well over 2000 entries in that database, btw.

Don't you have someone to cry to over your injustices?

Donger
11-20-2012, 01:13 PM

I already defined it in this thread.

You made the statement. Back it up or retract it, please.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:14 PM

yep that's similar.

You: Crying about mods mistreating poor old you
Me: Asking the poster who said something to explain.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Burden is on the accuser here in America.
You made the accusation. Have the courage of your convictions and back it up.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 01:17 PM
yep that's similar.

You: Crying about mods mistreating poor old you
Me: Asking the poster who said something to explain.

You: Whining about a so-called slur that even the whackos who think "Chief" is a slur don't think is a slur.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:18 PM
I already defined it in this thread.

You made the statement. Back it up or retract it, please.

With all due respect, I made no statement I made a request.
Correct?
I said "please tell me how that's not a racial slur."

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:20 PM
You: Whining about a so-called slur that even the whackos who think "Chief" is a slur don't think is a slur.

How did I whine?

patteeu
11-20-2012, 01:20 PM
How did I whine?

How didn't you whine?

Donger
11-20-2012, 01:21 PM
With all due respect, I made no statement I made a request.
Correct?
I said "please tell me how that's not a racial slur."

Heh. Yes, it's a request with a strongly implied suggestion that you think what I wrote WAS and IS a racial slur.

If that is correct, why do you think it is racial at all?

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Burden is on the accuser here in America.
You made the accusation. Have the courage of your convictions and back it up.

Lol, you guys are great. I made no accusation, just a request. An accusation would be "That's is racist! You take that back!" I said no such thing. Unless you think I implied it and that's where this 3 partied outrage comes from, however, I have found implications don't count.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Heh. Yes, it's a request with a strongly implied suggestion that you think what I wrote WAS and IS a racial slur.

If that is correct, why do you think it is racial at all?

No, no, no. You sir are too wise to think up such an implication from such an innocent statement. Besides, implications don't count.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Lol, you guys are great. I made no accusation, just a request. An accusation would be "That's is racist! You take that back!" I said no such thing. Unless you think I implied it and that's where this 3 partied outrage comes from, however, I have found implications don't count.

It is your position that by saying"tell me how that isn't racist" you were not in any way indicating that you thought what was said was racist?

That you were, in fact, on some sort of neutral fact gathering mission where you randomly selected a post on this board to dissect and review?

I respect you for what you do and will not call you a liar if you say so but it appears otherwise at first glance.

Donger
11-20-2012, 01:27 PM
No, no, no. You sir are too wise to think up such an implication from such an innocent statement. Besides, implications don't count.

Are you aware that Speedy Gonzales is a Mexican character?

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:27 PM
How didn't you whine?

I was told the burden of proof was on the accuser in this country. You made the accusation. I have already proved your whining. Please, kind man with infinite knowledge, prove mine.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Are you aware that Speedy Gonzales is a Mexican character?

I have heard this. However, he is not my favorite. I prefer slow poke rodriguez. Why do you ask?

patteeu
11-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Since I answered your question about why it's not a slur, why do you keep talking?

Donger
11-20-2012, 01:30 PM
I have heard this. However, he is not my favorite. I prefer slow poke rodriguez. Why do you ask?

I asked because I wanted to ascertain whether or not you were aware that Speedy is a Mexican mouse. I see that you are. Bueno.

VAChief
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
It is your position that by saying"tell me how that isn't racist" you were not in any way indicating that you thought what was said was racist?

That you were, in fact, on some sort of neutral fact gathering mission where you randomly selected a post on this board to dissect and review?

I don't know if you are a racist or not, but I think you enjoy being a dick. Many of those who are online take on personas they wouldn't in real life. Only you know what you intend to project to others.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM

I respect you for what you do and will not call you a liar if you say so but it appears otherwise at first glance.

I'm a college student, sir. Simply on a mission to find the facts from some obviously superior intellects.

I wouldn't call it a dissection and a review. More of a please explain to me.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't know if you are a racist or not, but I think you enjoy being a dick. Many of those who are online take on personas they wouldn't in real life. Only you know what you intend to project to others.

What does this have to do with Vailpass?

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Since I answered your question about why it's not a slur, why do you keep talking?

Quite simply, because you didn't say it and I wasn't talking to you. Not that I don't value your input, not to mention the one problem I posed for you, you still have yet to answer.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm a college student, sir. Simply on a mission to find the facts from some obviously superior intellects.

I wouldn't call it a dissection and a review. More of a please explain to me.

Fair enough, fair enough. With the first Thanksgiving cocktail just a couple hours away it's good to appreciate what we have.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Uhhh, ok. This is apropos of absolutely nothing but thanks just the same.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I asked because I wanted to ascertain whether or not you were aware that Speedy is a Mexican mouse. I see that you are. Bueno.

Are you sure that he is a Mexican mouse? I know he speaks Spanish but I've always wondered if he was Mexican.

So you called him Speedy because you feel he's a Mexican mouse?

Donger
11-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Are you sure that he is a Mexican mouse? I know he speaks Spanish but I've always wondered if he was Mexican.

Yes, I'm sure.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 01:41 PM

He is the fastest mouse in all Mexico.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Yes, I'm sure.

How can you be sure? It's always claimed that he's the fastest mouse in all of Mexico, but it shows all the other mice in Mexico to be much slower and fatter. I think it is safe to assume that it is possible that he isn't from there.

Oh, here's something else I found out about Speedy from Wikipedia:

According to William Anthony Nericcio, the name derives from a joke about a Mexican man nicknamed "Speedy" either because of his premature ejaculation or quick copulation, though the name of the character was not intended to be derogatory.[1]

Nice tidbit of info. there.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:43 PM
He is the fastest mouse in all Mexico.

That doesn't mean he's from Mexico. Usain Bolt is the fastest guy in a lot of places, that doesn't mean he's from there.

mikey23545
11-20-2012, 01:46 PM

"Speedy Gonzales (commonly shortened to just Speedy) is an animated caricature of a mouse in the Warner Brothers Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series of cartoons. He is portrayed as "The Fastest Mouse in all Mexico" with his major traits being the ability to run extremely fast and speaking with an exaggerated Mexican accent. He usually wears an oversized yellow sombrero, white shirt and trousers (Which is a common traditional outfit worn by men and boys of rural Mexican villages), and a red kerchief, similar to that of a reveler in the San Fermin festival. To date there have been 46 cartoons made either starring or featuring this character."

listopencil
11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
That doesn't mean he's from Mexico. Usain Bolt is the fastest guy in a lot of places, that doesn't mean he's from there.

He has a long history of being a Mexican freedom fighter and lived in rural Mexican villages. He also has a cousin in Mexico, and speaks Spanish. It's not definitive but I think it is implied.

VAChief
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
What does this have to do with Vailpass?

I won't say he is racist, but I think he is often a dick. Whether it is intentional or not only he can answer.

VAChief
11-20-2012, 01:49 PM

Did you hear about the Englishman with an inferiority complex? He thought he was the same as everyone else.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:49 PM
"Speedy Gonzales (commonly shortened to just Speedy) is an animated caricature of a mouse in the Warner Brothers Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series of cartoons. He is portrayed as "The Fastest Mouse in all Mexico" with his major traits being the ability to run extremely fast and speaking with an exaggerated Mexican accent. He usually wears an oversized yellow sombrero, white shirt and trousers (Which is a common traditional outfit worn by men and boys of rural Mexican villages), and a red kerchief, similar to that of a reveler in the San Fermin festival. To date there have been 46 cartoons made either starring or featuring this character."

I'm sorry guys but I need to see a birth certificate. He could be Kenyan for all I know.

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I won't say he is racist, but I think he is often a dick. Whether it is intentional or not only he can answer.

The hell you say.

mikey23545
11-20-2012, 01:52 PM
We already have one Kenyan rodent in the country.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 01:53 PM

So out of the blue, in the middle of a conversation about whether or not something Donger said was a racial slur, you felt the need to point out that Vailpass is a dick? I'm pretty sure it's intentional, but it just seemed like your comment was gratuitous to me.

BTW, I'm not sure whether J Diddy is a racist, fwiw.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:53 PM

I found great joy into walking it into that.

LMAO

vailpass
11-20-2012, 01:54 PM

The San Diego Zoo and the White House have something in common.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 01:54 PM
"Speedy Gonzales is a cartoon character from the Looney Tunes. He is a Mexican mouse."

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0030553/bio

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
"Speedy Gonzales is a cartoon character from the Looney Tunes. He is a Mexican mouse."

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0030553/bio

We're going to see the long form on that.

I think that's just an assumption.

VAChief
11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
So out of the blue, in the middle of a conversation about whether or not something Donger said was a racial slur, you felt the need to point out that Vailpass is a dick? I'm pretty sure it's intentional, but it just seemed like your comment was gratuitous to me.

BTW, I'm not sure whether J Diddy is a racist, fwiw.

I don't really care what you think.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
The San Diego Zoo and the White House have something in common.

gardens?

:shrug:

patteeu
11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't really care what you think.

Now you're being a dick.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Sure wouldn't want to offend native's delicate sensibilities.

Donger
11-20-2012, 02:31 PM
LMAO

vailpass
11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
gardens?

:shrug:

African lion

listopencil
11-20-2012, 02:38 PM
We're going to see the long form on that.

I think that's just an assumption.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/10742718?badge=0" width="500" height="331" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/10742718">Speedy Bio</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/carloolivaresp">Carlo Olivares Paganoni</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

vailpass
11-20-2012, 02:39 PM

:clap:

Phobia
11-20-2012, 03:15 PM

Here is a perfect example of racial slurs getting somebody a ban. Perfectly acceptable words used in normal context but when you're debating somebody of Hispanic heritage, they're over the line.

Just an example for people who are so confused by this.

Thanks to whomever posted the racial slur dictionary. I think that's a pretty good reference. I've used it before and if you are confused, feel free to consult it.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Here is a perfect example of racial slurs getting somebody a ban. Perfectly acceptable words used in normal context but when you're debating somebody of Hispanic heritage, they're over the line.

Thanks to whomever posted the racial slur dictionary. I think that's a pretty good reference. I've used it before and if you are confused, feel free to consult it.

You all are staggering goddamn hypocrites, you know that?

Get called a bitch - Who cares? Get called a greaseball and suddenly the world stops.

Whatever. Phobia's a whiny cocksucker, but I mean cocksucker in the sense that he's just a prick with a power issue, and not that he actually chugs man-seed.

I hope this is all above board, seeing as how we both agree that you're a Caucasian whiny cocksucker and that this doesn't make you any better than any other ethnicity of whiny baby cocksuckers.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Don't really care how you feel about it, DJLN. I like vailpass. He's always been kind to me. You guys asked for examples and I gave you one. The power at ChiefsPlanet is incredibly important to me, you're right about that. Sometimes I can't wait to get on here to figure out who to ban next.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 03:31 PM

:rolleyes: It's a ridiculous reference and you will inevitably apply it inconsistently.

BTW, what happened to your obviously bogus "common sense" rule about not saying things that would cause fear for your safety if you said them while standing on top of a table in a crowded bar? Doesn't this qualify?

Or how about this?

I had my lady do it and she said he's a homersexerual lunatic with a borderline average IQ which makes him susceptible to boughts of depression and violent tendencies with his lovers.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't really care how you feel about it, DJLN. I like vailpass. He's always been kind to me. You guys asked for examples and I gave you one. The power at ChiefsPlanet is incredibly important to me, you're right about that. Sometimes I can't wait to get on here to figure out who to ban next.

No one asked for examples.

But I did ask you some questions about where lines are drawn. You don't like to draw lines though. You like to wave your hands about common sense rules instead even though those are really just words.

KC native
11-20-2012, 03:34 PM
You all are staggering goddamn hypocrites, you know that?

Get called a bitch - Who cares? Get called a greaseball and suddenly the world stops.

Whatever. Phobia's a whiny cocksucker, but I mean cocksucker in the sense that he's just a prick with a power issue, and not that he actually chugs man-seed.

I hope this is all above board, seeing as how we both agree that you're a Caucasian whiny cocksucker and that this doesn't make you any better than any other ethnicity of whiny baby cocksuckers.

Yea, just ignore his history with me. :rolleyes:

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Was vailpass previously warned?

KC native

FTR I haven't reported any of these posts that have gotten people banned.

Donger
Greaseball? Really?

KC native
11-20-2012, 03:37 PM
:rolleyes: It's a ridiculous reference and you will inevitably apply it inconsistently.

BTW, what happened to your obviously bogus "common sense" rule about not saying things that would cause fear for your safety if you said them while standing on top of a table in a crowded bar? Doesn't this qualify?

Or how about this?

Again, FTR, I have no problem calling people a bitch to their face. I've never been afraid of an ass whooping. If someone acts like a bitch, then they get called a bitch.

durtyrute
11-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Can I say ******* yet?

Donger
11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Heck, I thought greaseball was an insult specific to Italians. I had no idea that Mexicans were so greasy.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Greaseball? Really?

None of the words in that post are in the Racial Slur Database that I posted, so I don't know what phobia was talking about.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
If it's reported, it's dealt with one way or another. Vailpass has been warned and banned for racial slurs more than once in the past. Then he's ballsy enough to do it IN THIS THREAD, of all places? I don't feel sorry for him.

There's no rule against calling somebody a bitch and the bar metaphor is a common sense guideline. I want to be clear, if you get called a bitch, it is not okay to launch into a racially charged tirade.

Or how about this?

I'm not sure what your complaint is there. Do you see a rules infraction.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Again, FTR, I have no problem calling people a bitch to their face. I've never been afraid of an ass whooping. If someone acts like a bitch, then they get called a bitch.

I'm not trying to get you banned, dude. But that's just another reason why phobia's "common sense" rule is stupid. Because badasses like you just might be willing to get up on that table and call a black guy a nigger, an italian a calazone or a guy like me a bean dipper.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Yea, just ignore his history with me. :rolleyes:

Don't care.

It's a goddamn internet chatboard, DC no less. If you don't like it, stop baiting him and/or posting here.

There's nothing he can say/do on here to cause you legitimate harm. You don't know who he is, nor does he know who you are.

But hey, at least we got that damn faceless internet poster to stop calling you a greaseball. Because lord knows I'm sure you were losing sleep over it.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Was vailpass previously warned?

Many times. And at least temp ban.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm not trying to get you banned, dude. But that's just another reason why phobia's "common sense" rule is stupid. Because badasses like you just might be willing to get up on that table and call a black guy a ****er, an italian a calazone or a guy like me a bean dipper.

It's all stupid. You know what's even more ridiculous? Babysitting grown people and telling them shit they should have learned 20 years ago.

KC native
11-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Don't care.

It's a goddamn internet chatboard, DC no less. If you don't like it, stop baiting him and/or posting here.

There's nothing he can say/do on here to cause you legitimate harm. You don't know who he is, nor does he know who you are.

But hey, at least we got that damn faceless internet poster to stop calling you a greaseball. Because lord knows I'm sure you were losing sleep over it.

You barking up the wrong tree. I didn't report any of those posts and came to this thread last night. I've never pushed to have anyone banned. But carry on with your hissy fit though.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 03:51 PM
If it's reported, it's dealt with one way or another. Vailpass has been warned and banned for racial slurs more than once in the past. Then he's ballsy enough to do it IN THIS THREAD, of all places? I don't feel sorry for him.

There's no rule against calling somebody a bitch and the bar metaphor is a common sense guideline. I want to be clear, if you get called a bitch, it is not okay to launch into a racially charged tirade.

I'm not sure what your complaint is there. Do you see a rules infraction.

So saying things that a reasonable person would not say on a bar table for fear of his/her safety isn't against the rules unless it's about pedophilia? I thought you called it a "common sense" rule?

And what was Vailpass's violation anyway? You said it was something listed in a racial slur dictionary, but it's not in the one I posted so what were you talking about?

DJ's left nut
11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
You barking up the wrong tree. I didn't report any of those posts and came to this thread only today. I've never pushed to have anyone banned. But carry on with your hissy fit though.

Which is my point exactly.

If you don't care (and you shouldn't), why the hell should Phobia care?

It's an asinine and wholly arbitrary 'guideline' that serves no legitimate purpose.

KC native
11-20-2012, 03:53 PM
So saying things that a reasonable person would not say on a bar table for fear of his/her safety isn't against the rules unless it's about pedophilia? I thought you called it a "common sense" rule?

And what was Vailpass's violation anyway? You said it was something listed in a racial slur dictionary, but it's not in the one I posted so what were you talking about?

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/2/2d/Trollface_HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png.

durtyrute
11-20-2012, 03:53 PM
This is by far the most ridiculous thread in the history of threads. If you are racist, who cares, just don't say racists shit on here. If you are not a racist, then you probably are not going to say racist shit, so you have nothing to worry about.

KC native
11-20-2012, 03:55 PM

It's an asinine and wholly arbitrary 'guideline' that serves no legitimate purpose.

I have thick skin and learned long ago that racism towards Hispanics is tolerated on this board as long as you don't go all out with slurs.

I don't care because I know it's the internet.

The mods should care because if you don't repudiate behavior like fail's then it comes across as an endorsement which I doubt the mods would want for a Chiefs based BB.

BucEyedPea
11-20-2012, 03:55 PM
This is by far the most ridiculous thread in the history of threads. If you are racist, who cares, just don't say racists shit on here. If you are not a racist, then you probably are not going to say racist shit, so you have nothing to worry about.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2012, 03:57 PM
I have thick skin and learned long ago that racism towards Hispanics is tolerated on this board as long as you don't go all out with slurs.

I don't care because I know it's the internet.

The mods should care because if you don't repudiate behavior like fail's then it comes across as an endorsement which I doubt the mods would want for a Chiefs based BB.

Sure it does.

Because clearly we are all in favor of all those things we don't openly condemn.

KC native
11-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Sure it does.

Because clearly we are all in favor of all those things we don't openly condemn.

Back to hyperventilating again?

patteeu
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
It's all stupid. You know what's even more ridiculous? Babysitting grown people and telling them shit they should have learned 20 years ago.

You guys stir up your own messes with these ridiculous failures to establish clear rules. You don't get grief for the rule about filter evasion because that's a clear rule. You get grief when your rules are inconsistent and applied capriciously.

KC native
11-20-2012, 04:00 PM
You guys stir up your own messes with these ridiculous failures to establish clear rules. You don't get grief for the rule about filter evasion because that's a clear rule. You get grief when your rules are inconsistent and applied capriciously.

ROFL I love it when patty gets indignant. Please keep trollin' teh m0dZ.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM

I don't care. I use racial slurs and stereotypes with my minority friends all the time. Point being, we're friends. They're okay and I'm okay. It was reported and I dealt with it. Repeat offender. There's never going to be a perfect set of rules that is right in everybody's wheelhouse but we've been doing this 12 years and we're a close as we're going to get. I'm very sorry that these rules aren't acceptable to you. If you don't like them being enforced then convince your cohorts to never report anything and then I'll never come in to D.C.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/10742718?badge=0" width="500" height="331" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/10742718">Speedy Bio</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/carloolivaresp">Carlo Olivares Paganoni</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

LMAO

Okay I have been converted. rep on your research

Donger
11-20-2012, 04:03 PM
I have thick skin and learned long ago that racism towards Hispanics is tolerated on this board as long as you don't go all out with slurs

Did the greaseball comment or Fijole (sp?) thing offend you?

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:03 PM

Your posts aren't even grief at this point. You've cried wolf for so long they're just part of the landscape.

KC native
11-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Did it offend you that I attended the US Grand Prix whilst you watched it on the telly?

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:05 PM

I doubt they offended him. A better question is, would a typical Latino consider them to be slurs.

DJ's left nut
11-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Back to hyperventilating again?

Because I'm the one claiming that an omission constitutes a tacit acceptance. Hell, not even a tacit acceptance, an outright endorsement.

Hyperventilating indeed...

DJ's left nut
11-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I doubt they offended him. A better question is, would a typical Latino consider them to be slurs.

A typical human being wouldn't find joking about an infant being eaten by dogs to be kosher either.

The 'typcal X' argument doesn't fly here because that is never the standard that has been enforced on CP.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
A typical human being wouldn't find joking about an infant being eaten by dogs to be kosher either.

The 'typcal X' argument doesn't fly here because that is never the standard that has been enforced on CP.

There are no rules about distasteful baby jokes. For the record, if I were sitting in a bar and the story about the zoo incident came on the tube, I'd have thrown down half a dozen zingers.

Racial slurs have always been enforced here, especially when they're accompanied by a report or complaint. ALWAYS.

Chocolate Hog
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
That means half of the posters in this section will be banned ROFL