View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Racial Slurs

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:12 PM
That means half of the posters in this section will be banned ROFL

If posts are reported, perhaps.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Be pissed. I'm glad Phil has my back on this stuff, so needless to say I have his back on this one. And Vail knows that I like him personally. He's a funny dude. It's just time to stop some of this racist nonsense. It's 2012 for fuck's sake.

LiveSteam
11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
How was your vacation bitch? ROFL

I fired seven Mexicans last week if you must know. One for each day I was banned.
I kept two out the nine on. Just for shits & giggles & those two speak pretty good broken English.

KCUnited
11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
If you are wondering if your post could be insensitive, just pull filicide and ask him privately through a PM if it is ok.

Donger
11-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Did it offend you that I attended the US Grand Prix whilst you watched it on the telly?

No, of course not. I'm really glad that you got to see it in person.

So, did those words offend you?

Mr. Flopnuts
11-20-2012, 04:16 PM
I fired seven Mexicans last week if you must know. One for each day I was banned.
I kept two out the nine on. Just for shits & giggles & those two speak pretty good broken English.

I'm friends with this guy on Facebook. I'm the one that banned him. He's a good dude, we just can't have that shit here.

cosmo20002
11-20-2012, 04:16 PM
That means half of the posters in this section will be banned ROFL

Well, the ones stupid enough not to have common sense.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Your posts aren't even grief at this point. You've cried wolf for so long they're just part of the landscape.

It's not crying wolf when it's true.

Donger
11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Be pissed. I'm glad Phil has my back on this stuff, so needless to say I have his back on this one. And Vail knows that I like him personally. He's a funny dude. It's just time to stop some of this racist nonsense. It's 2012 for ****'s sake.

Hispanic isn't a race. It's an ethnic group (loosely).

patteeu
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I doubt they offended him. A better question is, would a typical Latino consider them to be slurs.

The guys who compiled that huge database didn't recognize either of those as slurs. What makes you think your judgment is better than theirs? And if KC Native didn't report it, why did you feel the need to jump in?

cosmo20002
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM

I bet you were rock hard the whole time.

LiveSteam
11-20-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm friends with this guy on Facebook. I'm the one that banned him. He's a good dude, we just can't have that shit here.

I get it Flops.& I understand the ban. It's time for me to use the ignore option for the first time ever.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-20-2012, 04:23 PM
I get it Flops.& I understand the ban. It's time for me to use the ignore option for the first time ever.

Appreciate it man. I don't want my friendships off of here affected over my job to moderate the board in the way it was described to me, and the way I believe it should be done in regards to the leeway I have. So, thanks! :thumb:

LiveSteam
11-20-2012, 04:24 PM
I bet you were rock hard the whole time.

Im always rock hard. Thats why the girls like me Poser

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:26 PM
If you are wondering if your post could be insensitive, just pull filicide and ask him privately through a PM if it is ok.

Hilarious. Rep.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Might I recommend the "total ignore"add on for firefox. They just disappear. Unlike the ignore, when someone quotes BEP it says

Totally Ignored

where her words were.

loochy
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Might I recommend the "total ignore"add on for firefox. They just disappear. Unlike the ignore, when someone quotes BEP it says

where her words were.

I'll just manually retype everything he says so livesteam can see it

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Power trips here are the funniest part of this place.

LiveSteam
11-20-2012, 04:28 PM

where her words were.

So im still going to see KC native post's?

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:28 PM
The guys who compiled that huge database didn't recognize either of those as slurs. What makes you think your judgment is better than theirs? And if KC Native didn't report it, why did you feel the need to jump in?

IT WAS reported. Why do you feel the need to jump in to every. single. ban. in. the. history. of. this. site. with. your. obtuse. bullshit?

loochy
11-20-2012, 04:30 PM
IT WAS reported. Why do you feel the need to jump in to every. single. ban. in. the. history. of. this. site. with. your. obtuse. bullshit?
offensive

ban

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Dear say, Donger. Are you suggesting that it's better to bag on someone for their ethnicity then their race?

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
offensive

ban

Perhaps old pal, if you'd turn your language filter on, then you wouldn't see all that naughty language. That's why it is there. If you don't know how, I'd be more than happy to help you.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 04:34 PM

If you have him ignored, you will see them when someone quotes him. That's the only time. With total ignore, it works off the site and blocks that too.

cosmo20002
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM

You really have that little self control?

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Hell they said George Zimmerman was white ... WTF

patteeu
11-20-2012, 04:42 PM

I didn't say a thing when Flopnuts banned Livestream because he violated a clear rule (filter evasion). I jumped into this one, not because I oppose banning people for racial slurs, but because I support establishing clear rules and defining what is bannable even if what is bannable evolves over time. I even gave Flopnuts credit for warning Roy instead of banning him since this is the first time that I know of that "raghead" has resulted in moderator action.

Of course, identifiable and measurable rules would make you more accountable for your actions and I've learned how sensitive you get when your actions are scrutinized.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Perhaps old pal, if you'd turn your language filter on, then you wouldn't see all that naughty language. That's why it is there. If you don't know how, I'd be more than happy to help you.

Bullshit is not filtered on this site. But individual accounts are empowered to add a custom filter.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 04:43 PM

Oh, and I didn't say anything about it not being reported. Just like you didn't bother to address my question about why you think your judgment about what constitutes a slur is better than the people who compiled the extensive database of racial slurs you praised earlier in the thread.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 04:45 PM
I'll be honest with you pat. The reason I don't answer most of your questions during these instances is because I don't read most of them. If I read and answered each of your questions to your satisfaction any time mod action was taken on this site, it would be a fulltime job.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 04:47 PM
I'll be honest with you pat. The reason I don't answer most of your questions during these instances is because I don't read most of them. If I read and answered each of your questions to your satisfaction any time mod action was taken on this site, it would be a fulltime job.

Have you ever ignored a poster before?

WoodDraw
11-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Go ahead and propose a clear racism rule for us, Pat. I'm sure the mods would appreciate the help

patteeu
11-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I get it. A list of 2000+ racial slurs in the racial slur database you praised and not a single one in that Vailpass post. But somehow people are supposed to anticipate when you're going to decide something is a slur.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Go ahead and propose a clear racism rule for us, Pat. I'm sure the mods would appreciate the help

I've already done that. I proposed keeping a list of bannable slurs and each time a new bannable slur is identified, warn the user and add it to the list. Much like Flopnuts did with Roy except that there's no list so the next time someone uses "raghead" around here, there's a good chance that he/she didn't see the Roy reprimand and there's no chance that he can consult a list of off-limit words.

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 04:56 PM
i GOT AN iDEA,

There is a setting to moderate all posts... Just turn it on :)

Phobia
11-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Vailpass has been both warned and banned for thinly veiled racial slurs in the past. Then he decided to use them in a thread discussing racial slurs against a known Latino. That post was reported by a third party and I responded by banning him for a couple more days than his ban lasted the last time. I really don't know how to handle it any better than that.

I would suggest that the previously invoked racial slur website is a pretty good reference if you're unsure but it's not a catch-all. Would any of you walk up to a Latino on the street and call him a greaseball? Vailpass knows what he did and I'm sure he accepts his lumps gracefully. He probably disagrees that his choice of words were slurs but he knows he was pushing his luck.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 05:03 PM
i GOT AN iDEA,

There is a setting to moderate all posts... Just turn it on :)

Indeed. That would provide a very healthy sense of power for someone who may be seeking that kind of power.

LiveSteam
11-20-2012, 05:03 PM
You really have that little self control?

It really has nothing to do with self control. Their are no winners in DC. Everyone losses. Even when you think you won. YOU LOST!

BigRedChief
11-20-2012, 05:15 PM
So out of the blue, in the middle of a conversation about whether or not something Donger said was a racial slur, you felt the need to point out that Vailpass is a dick? I'm pretty sure it's intentional, but it just seemed like your comment was gratuitous to me.For no apparent reason and out of the blue vailpass was a big time dick to me also. Thats not kosher but, not bannable.

I'm sure he is a big time racist. but as long as he keeps those opinions to himself and off that board. Thats not bannable.

BigRedChief
11-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Indeed. That would provide a very healthy sense of power for someone who may be seeking that kind of power.I have been so pissed at guys in here I've been tempted for a brief millisecond to use mod powers but alas I decided it wasn't worth it. Wouldn't prove a thing and they wouldnt behave differently anyway.

Why really be upset with someone you don't even respect. It makes no sense.

WoodDraw
11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I've already done that. I proposed keeping a list of bannable slurs and each time a new bannable slur is identified, warn the user and add it to the list. Much like Flopnuts did with Roy except that there's no list so the next time someone uses "raghead" around here, there's a good chance that he/she didn't see the Roy reprimand and there's no chance that he can consult a list of off-limit words.

I don't know what world you live in where saying "Holy whatever, greaseball" isn't racist. If you're too thick to figure that out...

Your proposal is to have someone hold your hand through every post, saying what is okay and not. I think common sense works.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Power trips here are the funniest part of this place.

Do you think I'm a power tripper here? Be honest. I can take it.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Yeah - go yell this at 10 random Latinos off the street and report your hospital bills back to us, "Holy Frijole! Look at the greaseball".

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 05:29 PM

No, I think Phobia trips more than you but that doesn't mean I don't like him.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I get accused of being on a power trip every single time I have to put a mod hat on. I like this site. It's been a part of my life for 12 years, even when I mistakenly thought there were greener pastures elsewhere. I'm not going to watch it go the way of so many other sites which were abandoned when everybody looked around and there were more assholes than decent folks with whom you enjoy debating. If everybody has a problem with that, hit AustinChief up. He is empowered to shut me down at his whimsy.

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I get accused of being on a power trip every single time I have to put a mod hat on. I like this site. It's been a part of my life for 12 years, even when I mistakenly thought there were greener pastures elsewhere. I'm not going to watch it go the way of so many other sites which were abandoned when everybody looked around and there were more assholes than decent folks with whom you enjoy debating. If everybody has a problem with that, hit AustinChief up. He is empowered to shut me down at his whimsy.

I don't have a problem with anything you have done to me because I am basically a novelty on this site, I come here to cut up and aggravate people that are already aggravated because we all do it when we have competing teams. I don't get upset at people that hate me for being a Raiderfan.

I think you do a good job if it matters.

go bowe
11-20-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't have a problem with anything you have done to me because I am basically a novelty on this site, I come here to cut up and aggravate people that are already aggravated because we all do it when we have competing teams. I don't get upset at people that hate me for being a Raiderfan.

I think you do a good job if it matters.

brown-noser! :p

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 05:49 PM
brown-noser! :p

It ain't working, I get banned about 4 times a year LMAO

Donger
11-20-2012, 05:50 PM

Yes.

Donger
11-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Dear say, Donger. Are you suggesting that it's better to bag on someone for their ethnicity then their race?

Better? No.

3rd&48ers
This site is kinda unique ...

It has some of the nicest internet people I have ever met and some of the biggest scumbags shit stains I have ever met but they like each other... Go Figure huh

BucEyedPea

Not at all!

Bearcat
11-20-2012, 06:04 PM

You need a list?

It's one thing to say it wasn't enforced before, but then there's this thread warning people... and maybe it needs to be clearer in the FAQ as far as general leniency, warnings, length of bans, etc.... but, come on...

I'm going to ask an HR rep for a list when I get to work tomorrow. I know, I know, this isn't work, but if you people seriously need a master list of slurs to refer to while you're attacking each other.... :facepalm:

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah - go yell this at 10 random Latinos off the street and report your hospital bills back to us, "Holy Frijole! Look at the greaseball".

Let's see native call LS a bitch on the street and see what happens. If you say something that would provoke a stranger, you're banned, but only if it's offensive to their race, ethnicity, heritage, or their sexual attraction towards children. It's okay to call a man a bitch. It may or may not be okay to attack based on sexual orientation. Weight based insults are okay, as are attacks based on economic class. You can insult the city a person is from, but you can't attack the country unless it's Canada or Britain.

What's not to get?

Phobia
11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Let's see native call LS a bitch on the street and see what happens. If you say something that would provoke a stranger, you're banned, but only if it's offensive to their race, ethnicity, heritage, or their sexual attraction towards children. It's okay to call a man a bitch. It may or may not be okay to attack based on sexual orientation. Weight based insults are okay, as are attacks based on economic class. You can insult the city a person is from, but you can't attack the country unless it's Canada or Britain.

What's not to get?

If you think this site needs a "don't call others a bitch" rule then put it out there. I'm enforcing the rules for this site, not my rules or my mother's rules. These are rules the community decided upon long, long ago. If you don't like them then propose a change.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Better? No.

Then sir what does it matter if it is ethnic bashing or racism?

BigRedChief
11-20-2012, 06:31 PM
You need a list?

It's one thing to say it wasn't enforced before, but then there's this thread warning people... and maybe it needs to be clearer in the FAQ as far as general leniency, warnings, length of bans, etc.... but, come on...

I'm going to ask an HR rep for a list when I get to work tomorrow. I know, I know, this isn't work, but if you people seriously need a master list of slurs to refer to while you're attacking each other.... :facepalm:Yep. like this is a court of law or we need to involve HR to sort this out.LMAO

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
If you think this site needs a "don't call others a bitch" rule then put it out there. I'm enforcing the rules for this site, not my rules or my mother's rules. These are rules the community decided upon long, long ago. If you don't like them then propose a change.

I'm not proposing that. Your "don't say it here if you wouldn't say it in public" rule of thumb doesn't exactly stand up to even the most basic level of scrutiny.

I really don't give a shit either way. I just think it's funny that you're so bad at articulating standards. That's not meant to be a swipe at you (or maybe just one that's so soft that it couldn't possibly matter). It's really not your strong suit, though, and I find it entertaining.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Many times. And at least temp ban.

Then I have no problems.

And I will say for the record I like vailpass and think he is a pretty decent guy but I think everyone will agree (I think vailpass would agree as well) that he walks very close to the line and when you do that sometimes you get burned.

Donger
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Then sir what does it matter if it is ethnic bashing or racism?

Because one is accurate. The other is not.

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Then I have no problems.

And I will say for the record I like vailpass and think he is a pretty decent guy but I think everyone will agree (I think vailpass would agree as well) that he walks very close to the line and when you do that sometimes you get burned.

Errybody who walks close to the line on anything knows it :)

Donger
11-20-2012, 06:43 PM
The whole "bitch" thing is interesting. That's implying that the person on the receiving end (presuming that person is male) has been copulated with anally, yes?

Phobia
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm not proposing that. Your "don't say it here if you wouldn't say it in public" rule of thumb doesn't exactly stand up to even the most basic level of scrutiny.

I really don't give a shit either way. I just think it's funny that you're so bad at articulating standards. That's not meant to be a swipe at you (or maybe just one that's so soft that it couldn't possibly matter). It's really not your strong suit, though, and I find it entertaining.

Well, herein lies the confusion. The rule of thumb doesn't have anything to do with "in public" and it's not a standard or even in our FAQ. It's a general guideline under which you'll have virtually zero problems here if you follow it.

The guideline is, "If you can't stand on top of a table at a bar and say it, then don't say it here". My challenge to use vailpass's statement on the street doesn't have anything to do with this guideline. I don't think a smart person is going to call a Latino "greaseball" on the street.

The problem here is that you are scrutinizing a rule that doesn't actually exist. It's just something that has been said for 12 years on this site to simplify things. Most people just nod in agreement and understand. It's only the obtuse idiots who debate politics every day who try to over-analyze a general rule of thumb.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Then I have no problems.

Of course. Vail likes to poke his antagonists where it causes them to react. Many of those same people do the same thing. The difference is that they like to hide behind the skirts of the mods because they are "fortunate" enough that their hot buttons receive special protection for some arbitrary reason (not just here, but in our society in general).

seclark
11-20-2012, 06:52 PM
The whole "bitch" thing is interesting. That's implying that the person on the receiving end (presuming that person is male) has been copulated with anally, yes?

i think that's called getting "cornholed".
sec

Donger
11-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, herein lies the confusion. The rule of thumb doesn't have anything to do with "in public" and it's not a standard or even in our FAQ. It's a general guideline under which you'll have virtually zero problems here if you follow it.

The guideline is, "If you can't stand on top of a table at a bar and say it, then don't say it here". My challenge to use vailpass's statement on the street doesn't have anything to do with this guideline. I don't think a smart person is going to call a Latino "greaseball" on the street.

The problem here is that you are scrutinizing a rule that doesn't actually exist. It's just something that has been said for 12 years on this site to simplify things. Most people just nod in agreement and understand. It's only the obtuse idiots who debate politics every day who try to over-analyze a general rule of thumb.

I'm relatively sure that if I stood on a bar table and called a bunch of heterosexual men "bitches," I wouldn't have a very nice rest of the day.

What's the difference?

mlyonsd
11-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Where do we stand on 'crackers'?

I've used that one before and don't want to piss off the weak minded.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Of course. Vail likes to poke his antagonists where it causes them to react. Many of those same people do the same thing. The difference is that they like to hide behind the skirts of the mods because they are "fortunate" enough that their hot buttons receive special protection for some arbitrary reason (not just here, but in our society in general).

Lol, yep that's it.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Where do we stand on 'crackers'?

I've used that one before and don't want to piss off the weak minded.

Good with soup, bad in an argument.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm relatively sure that if I stood on a bar table and called a bunch of heterosexual men "bitches," I wouldn't have a very nice rest of the day.

What's the difference?

I got $20 on your hospital bill if you try it.

Donger
11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I got $20 on your hospital bill if you try it.

LMAO

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 07:01 PM

He may do that but his reputation is the same in the Lounge as it is over here with a different group of people.

As far as hiding behind the mods are you suggesting there is a political bias going on?

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:07 PM
The guideline is, "If you can't stand on top of a table at a bar and say it, then don't say it here".By that reasoning, calling someone a bitch should be bannable.

I absolutely can stand on top of a table at a bar and belt out any racial epithet I please, and the reaction would likely be the same as if KC native stood on a table at a bar and called Livesteam a bitch. Actually, having seen pictures of both KC native and Livesteam, I would probably stand a much better chance of winning a fight against whatever random patron took offense than native would against LS. I mean, native is a little rolly poly, and LS looks like a pretty big dude.

Of course, the bars I go to would toss someone out for standing on top of a table and saying that they are having a wonderful time, so the standard is kind of a non-starter in that regard.

Now, if you want to have a guideline along these lines that actually makes sense, you could say something along the lines of: "There are certain hot-buttons that are not to be pushed. These include insulting of posters' race, ethnicity, etc. The moderators will use their judgement in responding to posts flagged as being offensive. If a mod wouldn't feel comfortable saying your remark to a group of strangers in a bar, expect a ban/warning/whatever."

I'm just riffing here. I really don't give a shit about this, but my boxing coach just canceled on me tonight, and I'm sitting on a bunch of energy that I was planning on blowing through.

WoodDraw
11-20-2012, 07:10 PM
You guys are fucking morons.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 07:13 PM

What's the difference?

One is a rule. One is not. Haven't I answered this 7 times already?

cosmo20002
11-20-2012, 07:14 PM

His antagonists, yeah right.

So what you're saying is that poor vailpass unfortunately likes to throw around the ethnic/racial slurs--he just can't help it. So, its just an unfortunate thing, and its not his fault if ethnic/racial slurs aren't acceptable to most people.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
He may do that but his reputation is the same in the Lounge as it is over here with a different group of people.

As far as hiding behind the mods are you suggesting there is a political bias going on?

He does the same thing to everyone on this board. I wouldn't expect the Lounge to be any different. I'm certainly not suggesting a political bias. My perception is that BRC is liberal, Phobia is conservative, Flop is liberal, Austin is conservative, and DaFace is liberal.

People just tend to get hypersensitive about certain issues. Vail knows this, and he picks at scabs. I'm not defending him. I'm not particularly sensitive to this type of insult, and I think that blacks, hispanics, etc. are fully capable of defending themselves when it comes to mild "racial" jabs on an anonymous message board, but I recognize what he's doing all the same.

The mods have decided to nip it in the bud, and I have no beef with that.

Donger
11-20-2012, 07:16 PM
One is a rule. One is not. Haven't I answered this 7 times already?

Yes, you have. And I think that, based on your criteria, a no-calling-a-heterosexual-man-a-bitch rule should be implemented.

It's offensive.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 07:16 PM
By that reasoning, calling someone a bitch should be bannable.

I absolutely can stand on top of a table at a bar and belt out any racial epithet I please, and the reaction would likely be the same as if KC native stood on a table at a bar and called Livesteam a bitch. Actually, having seen pictures of both KC native and Livesteam, I would probably stand a much better chance of winning a fight against whatever random patron took offense than native would against LS. I mean, native is a little rolly poly, and LS looks like a pretty big dude.

Of course, the bars I go to would toss someone out for standing on top of a table and saying that they are having a wonderful time, so the standard is kind of a non-starter in that regard.

Now, if you want to have a guideline along these lines that actually makes sense, you could say something along the lines of: "There are certain hot-buttons that are not to be pushed. These include insulting of posters' race, ethnicity, etc. The moderators will use their judgement in responding to posts flagged as being offensive. If a mod wouldn't feel comfortable saying your remark to a group of strangers in a bar, expect a ban/warning/whatever."

I'm just riffing here. I really don't give a shit about this, but my boxing coach just canceled on me tonight, and I'm sitting on a bunch of energy that I was planning on blowing through.

You don't have to follow a guideline. It's me offering you advice. You do have to follow a rule or you might not be here. Is that still confusing?

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:17 PM
His antagonists, yeah right.

So what you're saying is that poor vailpass unfortunately likes to throw around the ethnic/racial slurs--he just can't help it. So, its just an unfortunate thing, and its not his fault if ethnic/racial slurs aren't acceptable to most people.

I'm not saying that at all. He knows exactly what he's doing. I think he gets a kick out of seeing liberals swell up with phony outrage. I recognize it when vailpass is trying to get a reaction by using thinly-veiled racial taunts, and I recognize it when those who don't like him express phony outrage.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Yes, you have. And I think that, based on your criteria, a no-calling-a-heterosexual-man-a-bitch rule should be implemented.

It's offensive.

Should we lock down most uncivil exchanges or just "bitch"?

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
You don't have to follow a guideline. It's me offering you advice. You do have to follow a rule or you might not be here. Is that still confusing?

I was never confused by any of this.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Well that depends. Are attacks on sexual orientation against the rules, or is that kosher?

Donger
11-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Apparently any slur that one finds offensive. I'd like to add slurs of nationality to the list, actually. I know that I crawl into a corner and cry whenever someone makes fun of my teeth or calls me a limey.

Brock
11-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Apparently any slur that one finds offensive. I'd like to add slurs of nationality to the list, actually. I know that I crawl into a corner and cry whenever someone makes fun of my teeth or calls me a limey.

Your food is shit too.

Donger
11-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Your food is shit too.

LMAO

listopencil
11-20-2012, 07:23 PM

You seem to be fairly intelligent. I'm surprised to see you make this mistake. The term "race", when it is applied to human beings in this context, means nothing scientific whatsoever. It has no basis in biology. It has no basis in anthropology. It's a product of pseudoscience, created to justify slavery and general mistreatment of the powerless. It means nothing other than "group", and only carries that meaning due to common usage. That's it. The term "ethnicity" actually does have a meaning. It refers to a group of people with a common national or cultural tradition. The only correct statement here would be:

Race is a misnomer. We use the term "racism" to acknowledge negative expressions towards, among other things, ethnic groups.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Well that depends. Are attacks on sexual orientation against the rules, or is that kosher?

We don't have any rules against that other than filtering a couple of offensive slurs which we've found to be sufficient to the best of my knowledge.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:25 PM
You seem to be fairly intelligent. I'm surprised to see you make this mistake. The term "race", when it is applied to human beings in this context, means nothing scientific whatsoever. It has no basis in biology. It has no basis in anthropology. It's a product of pseudoscience, created to justify slavery and general mistreatment of the powerless. It means nothing other than "group", and only carries that meaning due to common usage. That's it. The term "ethnicity" actually does have a meaning. It refers to a group of people with a common national or cultural tradition. The only correct statement here would be:

Race is a misnomer. We use the term "racism" to acknowledge negative expressions towards, among other things, ethnic groups.

Soooo, where was this mistake?

Donger
11-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Take it up with the United States' government. They don't think that Hispanic is a race either.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
We don't have any rules against that other than filtering a couple of offensive slurs.

Fantastic. So if vail comes back and makes some insensitive comments towards UP, he doesn't have to worry about getting banned again?

listopencil
11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Take it up with the United States' government. They don't think that Hispanic is a race either.

Are you referring to documents meant for general consumption?

listopencil
11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Soooo, where was this mistake?

The term "race" is meaningless. It only survives due to common usage.

King_Chief_Fan
11-20-2012, 07:33 PM
We're having some posts being reported for the use of racial slurs in this forum. While it is widely known that there is some racism that goes on in this forum, those users have found a way to dance around the issue enough that the majority of moderators of this website have deemed the behavior fine for now.

It's really not okay to me at all. I don't believe that people of color should be subjected to that shit over political affiliations. That said, I'm a firm believer in a majority consensus so it is what it is at this point.

That said, overtly racial slurs will result in bannings. It is a bullet point in the TOS of this website, and not much is out of bounds. One user has already been banned, and another one has been warned. If you insist on trying to dance around racist comments, please be prepared for a vacation if you use a term that is deemed racist by the moderators. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

There is no excuse for racial slurs at all. Is there any excuse for any slurs?

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 07:34 PM
He does the same thing to everyone on this board. I wouldn't expect the Lounge to be any different. I'm certainly not suggesting a political bias. My perception is that BRC is liberal, Phobia is conservative, Flop is liberal, Austin is conservative, and DaFace is liberal.

People just tend to get hypersensitive about certain issues. Vail knows this, and he picks at scabs. I'm not defending him. I'm not particularly sensitive to this type of insult, and I think that blacks, hispanics, etc. are fully capable of defending themselves when it comes to mild "racial" jabs on an anonymous message board, but I recognize what he's doing all the same.

The mods have decided to nip it in the bud, and I have no beef with that.

I agree with your post so you know, I know, the mods know, and vail knows what he is doing so there shouldn't be any huge outcry or gnashing of teeth when people like vail get banned.

I will add that I think the mods here do a fantastic job and people need to chill the fuck out when they do take action. There is no reason for people to freak out when someone gets banned for a week etc..it is just the Internet

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:36 PM
The term "race" is meaningless. It only survives due to common usage.

And yet it is an actual word with an actual definition, and donger used it correctly.

cosmo20002
11-20-2012, 07:39 PM
There is no excuse for racial slurs at all. Is there any excuse for any slurs?

Not using racial slurs is letting the terrorists win.

Donger
11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Are you referring to documents meant for general consumption?

If you consider the US census to be a general document, yes.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Great point. Sad thing is I took a test today on taxonomy.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:45 PM
I agree with your post so you know, I know, the mods know, and vail knows what he is doing so there shouldn't be any huge outcry or gnashing of teeth when people like vail get banned.

I will add that I think the mods here do a fantastic job and people need to chill the fuck out when they do take action. There is no reason for people to freak out when someone gets banned for a week etc..it is just the Internet

I'm certainly not freaking out over it. I'm not even mildly bothered by it. That said, there have been numerous examples of mods letting personal biases steer their decisions when it comes to banning/not banning posters, and the board is worse off for it IMO. Because of this, I understand why people get up in arms over bannings.

Of course, if this were MY board, the over-arching rule would be "I will do whatever the fuck I please, and I won't always be fair or consistent, so go fuck yourselves if you have a problem with it." I think that phobia would like to have that rule, but it's not his board (and that burns him up sometimes). I think that Flop would LOVE to have that rule (mostly so he could stir up drama, and credit him for owning up to it), but it's not his board either.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 07:47 PM
And yet it is an actual word with an actual definition, and donger used it correctly.

the definition of race is a subdivision of humans

According to biological taxonomy it is not divided further than Homo sapiens.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm certainly not freaking out over it. I'm not even mildly bothered by it. That said, there have been numerous examples of mods letting personal biases steer their decisions when it comes to banning/not banning posters, and the board is worse off for it IMO. Because of this, I understand why people get up in arms over bannings.

Of course, if this were MY board, the over-arching rule would be "I will do whatever the **** I please, and I won't always be fair or consistent, so go **** yourselves if you have a problem with it." I think that phobia would like to have that rule, but it's not his board (and that burns him up sometimes). I think that Flop would LOVE to have that rule (mostly so he could stir up drama, and credit him for owning up to it), but it's not his board either.

Kind sir. Are you implying that Kyle keeps them on a leash?

Direckshun
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
haha

I knew when I opened a page or two of this thread, that I'd probably hate it.

I was right.

Kudos to the mods for erring on the side against boorish behavior.

And now I'm off.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:50 PM

According to Merriam-Webster, it's "a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics".

3rd&48ers
11-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Sadly, every country on earth has racism and it's never going to end

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Kind sir. Are you implying that Kyle keeps them on a leash?

gay

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
haha

I knew when I opened a page or two of this thread, that I'd probably hate it.

I was right.

Kudos to the mods for erring on the side against boorish behavior.

And now I'm off.

gay

Mr. Flopnuts
11-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Of course, if this were MY board, the over-arching rule would be "I will do whatever the fuck I please, and I won't always be fair or consistent, so go fuck yourselves if you have a problem with it." I think that phobia would like to have that rule, but it's not his board (and that burns him up sometimes). I think that Flop would LOVE to have that rule (mostly so he could stir up drama, and credit him for owning up to it), but it's not his board either.

:spock: Stir up drama? That's what you see from me? You're a fucking retard, and the only one. I mean the only one.

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
retard

I need a ruling here. Mods?

listopencil
11-20-2012, 07:55 PM
If you consider the US census to be a general document, yes.

Yes, I do. I have read it. My wife did census work in the past. Those documents were meant to provoke a response. They contain many examples of common usage in order to amass as much data as is possible. That's why some of those categories appear to be almost ridiculous.

Here are two statements from the American Anthropological Association:

From 1996: http://www.physanth.org/association/position-statements/biological-aspects-of-race/

From 1998: http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

The example from 1998 is a living statement. It is open to peer review and subject to continual update as necessary.

Direckshun
11-20-2012, 07:56 PM
gay

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wXw6znXPfy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 07:56 PM
:spock: Stir up drama? That's what you see from me? You're a fucking retard, and the only one. I mean the only one.

FTR, I don't think you're trying to stir up drama here. That was more of a general statement. You love soap operas on this board, and you know it. Hell, you've admitted it.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Yup, that's pretty much it. The term "race" is equal to "group."

Donger
11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Homo

Reported.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Reported.

Reported.

listopencil
Sorry. I just got caught up in the moment.

Donger
Reported.

Damnit.

LMAO

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 08:00 PM
According to Merriam-Webster, it's "a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics".

Yes sir. It sure does. The next thing is false which is where I get my meaning in terms of taxonomy.

an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group

Merriam webster is the only dictionary I've found that defines it that way.
Whose definition, by the way, also strips Donger's assertion that Mexicans are not a race.

That being said, I can't say that is the most accepted definition.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Vailpass has been both warned and banned for thinly veiled racial slurs in the past. Then he decided to use them in a thread discussing racial slurs against a known Latino. That post was reported by a third party and I responded by banning him for a couple more days than his ban lasted the last time. I really don't know how to handle it any better than that.

I would suggest that the previously invoked racial slur website is a pretty good reference if you're unsure but it's not a catch-all. Would any of you walk up to a Latino on the street and call him a greaseball? Vailpass knows what he did and I'm sure he accepts his lumps gracefully. He probably disagrees that his choice of words were slurs but he knows he was pushing his luck.

Would anyone walk up to a Latino (the word "Latino" isn't without it's controversies either, btw) on the street and call him a pillowbiter or bitch?

Your common sense test still doesn't make much sense.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:01 PM

I wasn't saying you were just in general. It just seems everytime someone gets banned there is a fight about it when most times it shouldn't be. Some of that is the mods fault because they try to be nice and come explain it when they should really just not say anything and let their actions speak for themselves.

And I will admit I am not above bitching about some of their decisions . For example I think Hootie should be able to come back just like they let shtsprayer come back.

Donger
Yes sir. It sure does. The next thing is false which is where I get my meaning in terms of taxonomy.

an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group

Merriam webster is the only dictionary I've found that defines it that way.
Whose definition, by the way, also strips Donger's assertion that Mexicans are not a race.

That being said, I can't say that is the most accepted definition.

Oh, please, please let British be a race. Please.

dirk digler
Sadly, every country on earth has racism and it's never going to end

true

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Oh, please, please let British be a race. Please.

According to the definition on Merriam Webster's it is.

: a breeding stock of animals
a : a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock
b : a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
a : an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group
b : breed
c : a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

patteeu
11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't know what world you live in where saying "Holy whatever, greaseball" isn't racist. If you're too thick to figure that out...

Your proposal is to have someone hold your hand through every post, saying what is okay and not. I think common sense works.

I live in a world where "greaseball" isn't an ethic slur for Hispanics and even though you've never heard it used that way you've convinced yourself that it is. That's why a list is so useful. It prevents morons like you from letting your imaginations run wild.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 08:11 PM
I live in a world where "greaseball" isn't an ethic slur for Hispanics and even though you've never heard it used that way you've convinced yourself that it is. That's why a list is so useful. It prevents morons like you from letting your imaginations run wild.

Sir, I've no idea why you are so terribly upset about this.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:12 PM

wikipedia disagrees with you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 08:14 PM

and a more reliable source-- the dictionary:
grease·ball/ˈgrēsˌbôl/
Noun:
offensive. A foreigner, esp. one of Mediterranean or Latin American origin.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:15 PM
grease·ball/ˈgrēsˌbôl/
Noun:

What's a dictionary? I have never heard of one

patteeu
11-20-2012, 08:16 PM
You need a list?

I'm going to ask an HR rep for a list when I get to work tomorrow. I know, I know, this isn't work, but if you people seriously need a master list of slurs to refer to while you're attacking each other.... :facepalm:

I was thinking the list was more for you and the other mods. Then you wouldn't have to make up these laughably nonsensical "common sense" rules to justify inconsistent application of some fine sounding principles.

When you ask your HR person for that list, try addressing him/her as "bitch" and see how that goes over.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 08:19 PM
What's a dictionary? I have never heard of one

LMAO

Saul Good
11-20-2012, 08:23 PM
When you ask your HR person for that list, try addressing him/her as "bitch" and see how that goes over.

Also, stand on a table.

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 08:23 PM
It's all stupid. You know what's even more ridiculous? Babysitting grown people and telling them shit they should have learned 20 years ago.

You're right. It's damned near as dumb as protecting grown people from words that they should have been taught to shrug off 20 years ago.

Seriously, man. You're protecting people from strings of letters and nothing more. Your efforts are meaningless, shallow and empty.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Sir, I've no idea why you are so terribly upset about this.

I think he has a cracker up his butt

Phobia
11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I think that phobia would like to have that rule, but it's not his board (and that burns him up sometimes).
Except that I co-owned this board with Kyle for many years and I don't operate any differently today than when I was a 50/50 partner.

I think that Flop would LOVE to have that rule (mostly so he could stir up drama, and credit him for owning up to it), but it's not his board either.

Yeah. Flop is such drama queen.

cosmo20002
11-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Game changer.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 08:35 PM
You're right. It's damned near as dumb as protecting grown people from words that they should have been taught to shrug off 20 years ago.

Seriously, man. You're protecting people from strings of letters and nothing more. Your efforts are meaningless, shallow and empty.

I couldn't agree with you more. Really, I 100% agree with what you're saying. Except we have the rules and I'm supposed to enforce them. I've turned many a blind eye but when it's reported I'm obligated to respond. If you want to champion a more reasonable rule, I'm behind it.

cosmo20002
11-20-2012, 08:36 PM
grease·ball/ˈgrēsˌbôl/
Noun:

Devastating. I think its over, pat. I've been in dictionary wars with you and I know you treat them as gospel.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Also, stand on a table.

LOL

ROFL

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:38 PM

You think black people should shrug their shoulders if a white person calls them a nigger?

patteeu
11-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Devastating. I think its over, pat. I've been in dictionary wars with you and I know you treat them as gospel.

I concede this point. Greaseball is indeed Hispanic slur.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 08:40 PM
You think black people should shrug their shoulders if a white person calls them a ****er?

Where are they standing?

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:41 PM

HOLY CRAP I think this is a first.

Someone better print screen this post quick

:p

Phobia
And I will admit I am not above bitching about some of their decisions . For example I think Hootie should be able to come back just like they let shtsprayer come back.

Ummmm - Hootie IS back JUST LIKE shtsprayer came came. They both circumvent bans by registering new accounts.

LiveSteam

I thought that Greaseball was a slur for an outlaw biker type.

cosmo20002
11-20-2012, 08:42 PM
I was thinking the list was more for you and the other mods. Then you wouldn't have to make up these laughably nonsensical "common sense" rules to justify inconsistent application of some fine sounding principles.

Really, isn't it just a little ridiculous to expect a complete list of words and word combinations, especially when the context is also important?

Do you have kids? Did you have a definitive written list of rules or did you expect some exercise of common sense?

BigRedChief
11-20-2012, 08:44 PM

:pCheck the signature

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Ummmm - Hootie IS back JUST LIKE shtsprayer came came. They both circumvent bans by registering new accounts.

See this is what I don't understand. You have a long time rule yet you don't enforce it why is that? I am honestly just curious and I don't want you to ban shtsprayer or Hootie.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 08:46 PM

I don't know about that, but (a) I don't think bikers are a CP protected class so slurs agains them are probably OK even if they'd kick your ass in real life for using them, and (b) I always thought of "greaseball" as being a slur against Italians (my ethnicity) which means if anyone calls me one, Phobia and Flopnuts are going to rush to my rescue.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Where are they standing?

LMAO

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 08:48 PM

:p

Lol I did.

dirk digler
Check the signature

Shit I didn't even notice that. Very nice.

cosmo20002
I don't know about that, but (a) I don't think bikers are a CP protected class so slurs agains them are probably OK even if they'd kick your ass in real life for using them, and (b) I always thought of "greaseball" as being a slur against Italians (my ethnicity) which means if anyone calls me one, Phobia and Flopnuts are going to rush to my rescue.

I'm guessing that it was the preceding phrase, along with greaseball, and the overall context, that added up to the ruling.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 08:49 PM

AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 08:49 PM
You think black people should shrug their shoulders if a white person calls them a ****er?

Yep.

Seems to me that unless that's exactly how you feel about yourself, then you go on with your day, because that guy obviously wasn't speaking to you. He was just spewing in your general direction.

If that is how you feel about yourself, then you've obviously met a very perceptive person and you ought to try to get to know him. He might have some other important truths to pass on.

Look, I can choose to walk in that pile of shit right there or go around it. It's my day, it's my nose and it's my choice.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Yep.

Seems to me that unless that's exactly how you feel about yourself, then you go on with your day, because that guy obviously wasn't speaking to you. He was just spewing in your general direction.

If that is how you feel about yourself, then you've obviously met a very perceptive person and you ought to try to get to know him. He might have some other important truths to pass on.

Look, I can choose to walk in that pile of shit right there or go around it. It's my day, it's my nose and it's my choice.

Interesting take. What if your kids were with you and he called your kids that? Same thing?

I don't know at some point there is certain things you can't walk away from unless they are holding a gun and you are not.

patteeu
11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Really, isn't it just a little ridiculous to expect a complete list of words and word combinations, especially when the context is also important?

Do you have kids? Did you have a definitive written list of rules or did you expect some exercise of common sense?

No, because the rule used to only be (or be enforced) that the most obvious of slurs drew a ban (e.g. Nigger). At one point beaner was added after a dustup between Otter and Taco John. Keeping a list keeps overzealous mods from going wild while still preventing serious breaches of civility.

Now that we have easy anonymous reporting coupled with mods who have grown more activist, we see an expansion of the rule against racial slurs that exaggerates the disconnect between that rule and other forms of incivility (e.g. bitch, cunt, pillowbiter, shitstain, and on and on).

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Interesting take. What if your kids were with you and he called your kids that? Same thing?

I don't know at some point there is certain things you can't walk away from unless they are holding a gun and you are not.

My kids are Latinos. Give it your best shot. They know exactly what they are and exactly what they aren't.

La literatura
11-20-2012, 08:58 PM
What kind of frustration makes people go crazy with this standard of decency on this board?

Phobia
11-20-2012, 08:59 PM
See this is what I don't understand. You have a long time rule yet you don't enforce it why is that? I am honestly just curious and I don't want you to ban shtsprayer or Hootie.

We have dozens of everyday participants on this site who were banned at one time. Some people learn their lesson and some people get more adept at just staying under the radar. Either way is a win for the mods. It's pretty tough to lock the fort down for somebody who really, really wants to be here. Clay is a pretty good example of that. So if they learn and improve, we could really care less. But if they continue the same behaviors that got them banned in the first place, they're gone again and we don't even really have to justify it to anybody because our TOS says that if you've been banned then we can ban you at any time for any reason we choose.

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 09:03 PM
What kind of frustration makes people go crazy with this standard of decency on this board?

You seem to be the frustrated one. The rest of us are having a discussion here.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 09:03 PM
My kids are Latinos. Give it your best shot. They know exactly what they are and exactly what they aren't.

So you just ignore it huh? You are better man than I would probably be.

dirk digler
11-20-2012, 09:04 PM
We have dozens of everyday participants on this site who were banned at one time. Some people learn their lesson and some people get more adept at just staying under the radar. Either way is a win for the mods. It's pretty tough to lock the fort down for somebody who really, really wants to be here. Clay is a pretty good example of that. So if they learn and improve, we could really care less. But if they continue the same behaviors that got them banned in the first place, they're gone again and we don't even really have to justify it to anybody because our TOS says that if you've been banned then we can ban you at any time for any reason we choose.

Makes sense and thank you for responding.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 09:05 PM
No, because the rule used to only be (or be enforced) that the most obvious of slurs drew a ban (e.g. ****er). At one point person of Hispanic heritage was added after a dustup between Otter and Taco John. Keeping a list keeps overzealous mods from going wild while still preventing serious breaches of civility.

Now that we have easy anonymous reporting coupled with mods who have grown more activist, we see an expansion of the rule against racial slurs that exaggerates the disconnect between that rule and other forms of incivility (e.g. bitch, ****, pillowbiter, shitstain, and on and on).

You're mistaken on all counts. We haven't cracked down on less obvious slurs. They're just reported less often. We don't run around looking for infractions on this site. With 3000+ posts per day, there's no way we can traffic cop them all and we've specifically tried to avoid that perception. If our users have a problem with something that appears on this site, they are supposed to report it so we have a trail, we know what happened, and what was done to resolve it.

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Saltine motherfuckers

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Saltine mother****ers

Take his ass out back, Literature.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't like this. I still want to be able to occasionally call guys bitches.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 09:14 PM
How about French people? Can I still make fun of French people?

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 09:16 PM
How about French people? Can I still make fun of French people?

I was banned from a hockey board for suggesting that the French were utterly worthless except for those that had been relocated to North America for a few generations and taught to tend goal.

Watch yourself.

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Say if I was having a discussion about immigration and someone brought up the 1954 Operation person of Hispanic heritage in the discussion. We all know now that the word " person of Hispanic heritage " is known as a racial slur, yet why does the government & historians still reference this yet we shouldn't use it in today's way of communications ?

Even in the 50's, during a time of when racial remarks and racism was running amok, it wasn't a good idea for then POTUS Eisenhower to use a word that is know as a slur, but he did or his administration did.

Why did they /he do this ?

La literatura
11-20-2012, 09:17 PM
You seem to be the frustrated one. The rest of us are having a discussion here.

I am frustrated, but I usually take it out on other posters, not the rules of the forum.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Yep.

Love the attitude. But you're the exception rather than the rule. Most the rules on this site were created because we've had issues at one time or another. We don't get off running around creating more rules to shove down everybody's throat. We generally respond to complaints and since we're among the most active users of this site, we want it to be a cool as everybody else wants it to be.

La literatura
11-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Say if I was having a discussion about immigration and someone brought up the 1954 Operation person of Hispanic heritage in the discussion. We all know now that the word " person of Hispanic heritage " is known as a racial slur, yet why does the government & historians still reference this yet we shouldn't use it in today's way of communications ?

Even in the 50's, during a time of when racial remarks and racism was running amok, it wasn't a good idea for then POTUS Eisenhower to use a word that is know as a slur, but he did or his administration did.

Why did thy /he do this ?

Standards vs. bright line rules. Like N***** Jim in Huck Finn.

WoodDraw
11-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Say if I was having a discussion about immigration and someone brought up the 1954 Operation Wetback in the discussion. We all know now that the word " wetback " is known as a racial slur, yet why does the government & historians still reference this yet we shouldn't use it in today's way of communications ?

Why did thy /he do this ?

So you want to be able to call someone a wetback?

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I am frustrated, but I usually take it out on other posters, not the rules of the forum.

I guess you've managed to figure out how to take your frustration out on others in a far more enlightened way.

Bully for you, young man.

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Italian

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Love the attitude. But you're the exception rather than the rule. Most the rules on this site were created because we've had issues at one time or another. We don't get off running around creating more rules to shove down everybody's throat. We generally respond to complaints and since we're among the most active users of this site, we want it to be a cool as everybody else wants it to be.

Dude, if I were in your shoes I'd want to dial down the noise in the kindergarten classroom too.

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
So you want to be able to call someone a person of Hispanic heritage?

Where did I say I wanted to ?

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 09:26 PM

I thought it was reserved for those who had been awarded a J.D.

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:27 PM
WOW, see, the word is already filtered here and I didn't know this.

But to the Hispanic race, it's a slur yet our POTUS in 1954 was able to use it and it is still in the history books

WoodDraw
11-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Where did I say I wanted to ?

You brought it up. How is this so fucking hard to understand?

Okay: In 1954, The US Government launched Operation Wetback.

Not Okay: "Fuck off, you wetback."

go bowe
11-20-2012, 09:31 PM

i can't give you rep again so let me just say

right on, motherfucker!! right on!! :Pimp: :Peace: :jester: PBJ PBJ PBJ

Phobia
Operation Person Of Hispanic Heritage is probably the best they could do back then. I'm surprised it wasn't something more slurry.

La literatura

But to the Hispanic race, it's a slur yet our POTUS in 1954 was able to use it and it is still in the history books

President Eisenhower would be banned from chiefsplanet.

go bowe
11-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Good with soup, bad in an argument.

LMAO

Phobia
11-20-2012, 09:34 PM

He actually is banned. We don't want him here.

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:36 PM
You brought it up. How is this so ****ing hard to understand?

Okay: In 1954, The US Government launched Operation person of Hispanic heritage.

Not Okay: "**** off, you person of Hispanic heritage."

I never said I wanted to use the word .... read it again. But if the topic of the 1954 operation came up, why allow it to be used today knowing the word is a racial slur in today's world of being politically correct.

Say if a politician was discussing immigration and had a slip of the tongue and reference the 1954 act, can you imagine the public outcry? Instant kill of a political campaign just buy referencing something from within the act.

That would be , Not Okay, what say you?

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Didn't like him anyways.

La literatura
11-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I never said I wanted to use the word .... read it again. But if the topic of the 1954 operation came up, why allow it to be used today knowing the word is a racial slur in today's world of being politically correct.

Say if a politician was discussing immigration and had a slip of the tongue and reference the 1954 act, can you imagine the public outcry? Instant kill of a political campaign just buy referencing something from within the act.

I know I have a slip of the tongue and reference Operation W****** quite often.

BTW, no one would be mad about that.

WoodDraw
11-20-2012, 09:40 PM

I have no problem, what so ever, with people using racist language or curse words, as long as it's not meant in a harmful way. And actually curse words, I don't give a shit about.

It actually drives me crazy when a newspaper edits out words like nigger, etc.

These are easy lines. We're not talking about politicians, we're talking about this forum. If you want to talk about something, do it. Just don't be a racist.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 09:40 PM

It's part of our history. It wasn't considered offensive then.

If you're discussing the 1954 Operation then nobody can be upset. I've seen it printed in newspapers. If you're bitching at your neighbor you can't use it. What's so hard to understand?

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:47 PM
I know I have a slip of the tongue and reference Operation W****** quite often.

BTW, no one would be mad about that.

Don't kid yourself, there would be some hispanics, latino voters would be livid. By the time the liberal left got done with it if it was an I or and R, it would be political suicide.

Mr WoodDraw ....... please do not look upon me as racist. That would be one of the last things on the face of the earth you could label me.

go bowe
11-20-2012, 09:47 PM

obviously, you need to get out more... :p

WoodDraw
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Mr WoodDraw ....... please do not look upon me as racist. That would be one of the last things on the face of the earth you could label me.

I have not. I just don't understand why the distinction between the two uses of the term is so hard to understand.

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM

If you're discussing the 1954 Operation then nobody can be upset. I've seen it printed in newspapers. If you're bitching at your neighbor you can't use it. What's so hard to understand?

Oh come on Phil, you know public outcry can start with just a small group. It doesn't have to offend the majority, just a few select people and let the media blow it out of proportions and it's a movement.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Oh come on Phil, you know public outcry can start with just a small group. It doesn't have to offend the majority, just a few select people and let the media blow it out of proportions and it's a movement.

I've seen it used by politicians. It's the technical name of an operation. What else are you supposed to call it. Nobody is going to make something of it. It is what it is.

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Guys, calm down, I understand what you are saying. Majority of the people would understand just this.

But look at how many voters that never pay attention to the candidates and take what the media throws out there on the boob tube.

To say that it would offend no one is asinine.

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 09:54 PM
He actually is banned. We don't want him here.

Nah. He's a mult.

ROYC75
11-20-2012, 09:55 PM
I've seen it used by politicians. It's the technical name of an operation. What else are you supposed to call it. Nobody is going to make something of it. It is what it is.

OK, I have never seen it or heard it, why I thought of it, I dunno.

Obviously you can't call it something else, but I think I would have to give it a 2nd thought before saying it if running a campaign.

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 09:58 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/07/christian_sites_ban_on_g_word.html

Christian Site's Ban on 'G' Word Sends Homosexual to Olympics

The American Family Association obviously didn't foresee the problems that might arise with its strict policy to always replace the word "gay" with "homosexual" on the Web site of its Christian news outlet, OneNewsNow. The group's automated system for changing the forbidden word wound up publishing a story about a world-class sprinter named "Tyson Homosexual" who qualified this week for the Beijing Olympics.

The problem: Tyson's real last name is Gay. Therefore, OneNewsNow's reliable software changed the Associated Press story about Tyson Gay's amazing Olympic qualifying trial to read this way:

Tyson Homosexual was a blur in blue, sprinting 100 meters faster than anyone ever has.

His time of 9.68 seconds at the U.S. Olympic trials Sunday doesn't count as a world record, because it was run with the help of a too-strong tailwind. Here's what does matter: Homosexual qualified for his first Summer Games team and served notice he's certainly someone to watch in Beijing.

"It means a lot to me," the 25-year-old Homosexual said. "I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me."

Wearing a royal blue uniform with red and white diagonal stripes across the front, along with matching shoes, all in a tribute to 1936 Olympic star Jesse Owens, Homosexual dominated the competition. He started well and pulled out to a comfortable lead by the 40-meter mark. This time, he kept pumping those legs all the way through the finish line, extending his lead. In Saturday's opening heat, Homosexual pulled way up, way too soon, and nearly was caught by the field, before accelerating again and lunging in for fourth place.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 10:04 PM

I'm not so sure it wasn't considered offensive then. I know that it was considered offensive in the early 70's.

go bowe
11-20-2012, 10:06 PM
i can't remember what word is filtered to person of hispanic heritage...

can someone pm me with a filter-evading version of what the hell you all are talking about?

listopencil
11-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Not like our government was above using overtly racist images and terminology in the past.

http://media.brainz.org/uploads/2010/03/propaganda/Anti-Jap8.jpg

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 10:08 PM

can someone pm me with a filter-evading version of what the hell you all are talking about?

Maybe it's person of Hispanic heritage.

EDIT: Hey, it is!

Okay. It starts with a "W," and it should end with a deportation, but it usually doesn't.

Ben N 58men
11-20-2012, 10:09 PM
People got so sensitive after 9/11, thanks a lot Bin Laden.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM

If you swim through a body of water there is broad, flat part of your body that tends to become moist.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not so sure it wasn't considered offensive then. I know that it was considered offensive in the early 70's.

I will defer to anybody who may be 30 years older than me on that issue.

listopencil
11-20-2012, 10:20 PM

You're a 15 year old?

go bowe
11-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Maybe it's person of Hispanic heritage.

EDIT: Hey, it is!

Okay. It starts with a "W," and it should end with a deportation, but it usually doesn't.

president bush? :shrug:

j/k, thanks, the curiosity was killing me...

go bowe
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM

that's me...

yep, it's been offensive since before wwII based on the way it was used by my dad in the 50's when i was a kid...

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey, it worked on Kotter. He pussied out after his words broke through his alcoholic haze.

go bowe
11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
alcoholic haze???

sounds good, brb... :BLVD:

Phobia
11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
You're a 15 year old?

I thought we were talking about 1954 but yes. I am 15 years old. That's the only reason I can get away with driving this around....

La literatura
11-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Mr. Kotter
This message has been deleted by Mr. Kotter. Reason: Ah....nevermind....heh

LMAO

listopencil
11-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I thought we were talking about 1954 but yes. I am 15 years old. That's the only reason I can get away with driving this around....

Bitchin' ride. I bet you score like crazy. Wait. Am I still allowed to say bitchin'? I'll report myself just to be safe.

go bowe
11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Bitchin' ride. I bet you score like crazy. Wait. Am I still allowed to say bitchin'? I'll report myself just to be safe.

reported...

listopencil
11-20-2012, 10:49 PM
reported...

Is score racist now? I need a list.

go bowe
11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Is score racist now? I need a list.

not score, crazy...

are you new at this or something? :p

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 11:31 PM
not score, crazy...

are you new at this or something? :p

Crazy is offensive to those who have had to deal with dementia or have recently argued the merits of the state intervening on elderly folks on their behalf.

Reported.

go bowe
11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Crazy is offensive to those who have had to deal with dementia or have recently argued the merits of the state intervening on elderly folks on their behalf.

Reported.

and it's offensive to wing-tards of both parties and various dc denizens hereabouts...

and as for dementia, reported...

ClevelandBronco
11-20-2012, 11:46 PM

Reported.

Just what the hell do you mean by "elderly"?

go bowe
11-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Just what the hell do you mean by "elderly"?

good point... :skip:

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 05:29 AM
FTR, I don't think you're trying to stir up drama here. That was more of a general statement. You love soap operas on this board, and you know it. Hell, you've admitted it.

Oh, sorry. Yeah. I love the drama that goes on around here. I like watching though, not reading from a script.

BucEyedPea
11-21-2012, 06:39 AM

Hispanic is not a race.

mlyonsd
11-21-2012, 07:05 AM
So you just ignore it huh? You are better man than I would probably be.

JMO, but if someone is called a racial slur and gets offended by it they have fallen to the same level as the one saying it.

They're just words.

patteeu
11-21-2012, 07:20 AM
You're mistaken on all counts. We haven't cracked down on less obvious slurs. They're just reported less often. We don't run around looking for infractions on this site. With 3000+ posts per day, there's no way we can traffic cop them all and we've specifically tried to avoid that perception. If our users have a problem with something that appears on this site, they are supposed to report it so we have a trail, we know what happened, and what was done to resolve it.

I'm not sure whether you actually believe your bullshit or not, but you aren't a noob here so you shouldn't be completely oblivious to the history of this site.

Here are a couple of moderators from days gone by using/discussing the slur that got this thread started:

I remember deep and abiding anger, I still feel it.

Bless our mens in arms who are doing there duty as US men have done for generations.

Bless the families who have suffered loss due to the tragedy and the aftermath.

And damn the raghead terrorists and their supporting bretheren, may they rot in hell forever.

No that should been your response regardless of whether I may have made an error. You were caught being an ass and exposed as a negatively biased bigot through the use of the perjorative of 'broad'.

ROFL I can't wait to read the rest of this.

I've really gotta keep a tally of who allows which deragatory terms.

Jim's [aka Logical, for those who don't know] List: raghead, redskin = ok; broad = not ok.

Which is humorous, because mine is flip-flopped.

And here is Endelt and his buddy Boozer talking about the degree of vagueness in the Chiefsplanet rule on slurs and the extent to which enforcement was focused on a limited subset and applied capriciously:

It seems to be mainly N-I-G-G-E-R and person of Hispanic heritage that are taboo. pillowbiter and Homo are pretty acceptable, and I've noticed Raghead go unchecked before. Mick and Paddy are fine. I wonder about K1ke, Dago, Wop, Gook, Slant, porch monkey, Redskin, injun, spic, and limey, though.

person of Hispanic heritage is only taboo for some. Others can use it with impunity.

patteeu
11-21-2012, 07:27 AM
obviously, you need to get out more... :p

LOL, yeah maybe so. But that's an example of why a list would benefit the community. Sheltered people like me would have a resource from which we could educate ourselves on the current state of affairs with respect to slurs since it is obviously changing over time here.

Gonzo
11-21-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm not sure whether you actually believe your bullshit or not, but you aren't a noob here so you shouldn't be completely oblivious to the history of this site.

Here are a couple of moderators from days gone by using/discussing the slur that got this thread started:

And here is Endelt and his buddy Boozer talking about the degree of vagueness in the Chiefsplanet rule on slurs and the extent to which enforcement was focused on a limited subset and applied capriciously:

LMAO
Do you have a job? If not, you should get into research for a news outlet. Put me down as a reference.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 07:40 AM
LMAO
Do you have a job? If not, you should get into research for a news outlet. Put me down as a reference.

Dude. Really? You came in here? I only stayed because I realized that even after days, I couldn't wash the stench off. You're fucked!

dirk digler
11-21-2012, 07:41 AM
JMO, but if someone is called a racial slur and gets offended by it they have fallen to the same level as the one saying it.

They're just words.

I think that is easy to say for us pasty white guys. If someone were to call me a cracker or honky that is more humorous than anything.

I am not a minority and haven't walked in their shoes to adequately answer that question.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 07:42 AM
I think that is easy to say for us pasty white guys. I am not a minority and haven't walked in their shoes to adequately answer that question.

You said it a lot nicer than I thought it. I chose not to respond because I didn't want him to feel put down.

BucEyedPea
11-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, gee my last name is Spanish but I'm Sicilian. (Dutch on my mother's) Does that make me a Latino. Or just someone who's ancestor's were conquered by the Spanish?

patteeu
11-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Well, gee my last name is Spanish but I'm Sicilian. (Dutch on my mother's) Does that make me a Latino. Or just someone who's ancestor's were conquered by the Spanish?

The good news that I've learned from this thread is that "greaseball" covers both major bases.

patteeu
11-21-2012, 08:05 AM
I think that is easy to say for us pasty white guys. If someone were to call me a cracker or honky that is more humorous than anything.

I am not a minority and haven't walked in their shoes to adequately answer that question.

That elevates an ideology of paternalism over the ideology of equality.

mlyonsd
11-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Like I said, JMO. But I bet this guy would agree with me.

"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend".
MLK

Saul Good
11-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Having owned both Jordans and Timberlands in my younger years, I would be happy to offer you my insights.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Like I said, JMO. But I bet this guy would agree with me.

"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend".
MLK

My following post was TIC btw. Dirk sent me some rep saying you were a good dude, but I already knew it and didn't want you to mistake the post.

mlyonsd
11-21-2012, 08:25 AM
My following post was TIC btw. Dirk sent me some rep saying you were a good dude, but I already knew it and didn't want you to mistake the post.

Naw, we're good. Like I said these were jmo's.

Being a Saltine I've rarely been in other shoes.

J Diddy
11-21-2012, 08:58 AM

This really is funny how this bothers you so.

ROYC75
11-21-2012, 09:04 AM

I know in the mid 60's, it was. Reason I don't understand why Ike used it, but hey,it was 10 years before, ahead of my time. I wasn't born until 57.

ROYC75
11-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Hispanic is not a race.

You missed the word that was filtered .....

ROYC75
11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
that's me...

yep, it's been offensive since before wwII based on the way it was used by my dad in the 50's when i was a kid...

I was a wondering this last night. I knew you would have a better feel for this.

When I lived in So. Texas in the early 80's, you had to have BIG BALLS to use it.

BucEyedPea
11-21-2012, 09:08 AM
The good news that I've learned from this thread is that "greaseball" covers both major bases.

ROFL :LOL:

J Diddy
11-21-2012, 09:08 AM
I know in the mid 60's, it was. Reason I don't understand why Ike used it, nut hey,it was 10 years before, ahead of my time. I wasn't born until 57.

Wait you're only 55?

BucEyedPea
11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
You missed the word that was filtered .....

No I surmised what the word was. That doesn't change what I was referring to in that post.

ROYC75
11-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Wait you're only 55?

Hey now ...... I may feel like I am ready for the grave, but not ready to surrender the fight..

ROYC75
11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
No I surmised what the word was. That doesn't change what I was referring to in that post.

OK, shoot me, it was a metaphor to speak, I basically threw all the Hispanics, Latinos, etc together to make it a catch all.:rolleyes:

Bob Dole
11-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Why are you limiting that to just colored people? Are slurs against non-colored people (e.g., White) acceptable?

What do you think, Casper?

BucEyedPea
11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
OK, shoot me, it was a metaphor to speak, I basically threw all the Hispanics, Latinos, etc together to make it a catch all.:rolleyes:

That's not what I was referring to either. Many Hispanics are white. Some are mixed race. The word simply means a relationship to Spain or the Iberian peninsula. So it means a historic and cultural relationship to Spain or Hispania. It has nothing to do with race.

ROYC75
11-21-2012, 09:45 AM
That's not what I was referring to either. Many Hispanics are white. Some are mixed race. The word simply means a relationship to Spain or the Iberian peninsula. So it means a historic and cultural relationship to Spain or Hispania. It has nothing to do with race.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race". The 2010 Census asked if the person was "Spanish/Hispanic/Latino". The United States Census uses the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."

BucEyedPea
11-21-2012, 09:49 AM
The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race". The 2010 Census asked if the person was "Spanish/Hispanic/Latino". The United States Census uses the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."

I don't know what your point is here. But that agrees with what I said, just using different words and evidence.