PDA

View Full Version : Economics Fiscal cliff:What are you willing to sacrifce as an individual?

BigRedChief
11-17-2012, 09:13 AM
With the fiscal cliff looming and both sides talking about more than a band aid approach but real long term solutions. For that to happen, there is going be some pain and its going to have to be painful to everyone.

If every segment, group and social/economic part of America is going to chip in something to get out of this deficit/debt, what will you be willing to chip in as an individual? Again, this is only if everyone is having to chip in something.

I'd be willing to give up the medical/dental insurance being deducted from my paycheck before taxes are taken out. That pre-tax break that I get from the government will increase my tax bill around $1000 - $1,500 every year.

BucEyedPea
11-17-2012, 10:14 AM
I will give up being kept safe by our military overseas.

Then I'm going to contribute by keeping my hours and income low. So I don't have to fund a "gang of criminals writ large."

Bowser
11-17-2012, 10:16 AM
My free cell phone. Must have gotten lost in the mail, anyway.

Donger
11-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Without a balanced budget amendment? Nothing. I already "sacrifice" plenty and I don't trust these idiots to be fiscally-sound.

texaschiefsfan
11-17-2012, 10:29 AM

Then I'm going to contribute by keeping my hours and income low. So I don't have to fund a "gang of criminals writ large."

I agree with this.

BigRedChief
11-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Yeah, isolationism will make us safer.:facepalm:

theelusiveeightrop
11-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Stop protecting Japan, large parts of Europe and other areas. Stop policing the world.

Brock
11-17-2012, 11:54 AM
If you're really going to deliberately pay more taxes when you don't have to, you're a moron.

theelusiveeightrop
11-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I like paying more taes to our corrupt and inept government.

stevieray
11-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm willing to sacriifice career politicans and their 100,000k plus salaries.

fuckin crooks.

BucEyedPea
11-17-2012, 12:10 PM

That's not isolationism, since I am willing to trade, visit their countries and engage in discourse with them.
Get it right, I said military as in military intervention. It's escalating the jihadi movement.

Then again, I would be safer if we were isolated. Just like Switzerland—who has not been attacked in the modern era.
And they still manage to be peace negotiators. You drink the progressive govt KoolAid.

Psyko Tek
11-17-2012, 12:18 PM
pensions for congressmen and presidents( they are already rich)
tax cuts
oil company subsidies
corporate taxes when they out source jobs
bail outs for the next wallstreet fuck up
ask the guys in the military what they need not people in the defense industy

and
kill all the lawyers

mlyonsd
11-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Obama wins and now is ok to raise taxes on the middle class?

BucEyedPea
11-17-2012, 12:43 PM
pensions for congressmen and presidents( they are already rich)
tax cuts
oil company subsidies
corporate taxes when they out source jobs
bail outs for the next wallstreet **** up
ask the guys in the military what they need not people in the defense industy

and
kill all the lawyers

The thread question is what are you willing to sacrifice as an individual.
What do you want to give up.

Kill all the lawyers? I am used to hearing that from communists.

CoMoChief
11-17-2012, 12:43 PM

When's the last time this country was attacked when we didn't already know it was going to happen?

FD
11-17-2012, 01:02 PM
The "fiscal cliff" refers to an oncoming wall of deficit cutting measures that will create a recession. Solving it is not about sacrifice, its about stopping or delaying unnecessary deficit reduction.

Calcountry
11-17-2012, 01:07 PM
With the fiscal cliff looming and both sides talking about more than a band aid approach but real long term solutions. For that to happen, there is going be some pain and its going to have to be painful to everyone.

If every segment, group and social/economic part of America is going to chip in something to get out of this deficit/debt, what will you be willing to chip in as an individual? Again, this is only if everyone is having to chip in something.

I'd be willing to give up the medical/dental insurance being deducted from my paycheck before taxes are taken out. That pre-tax break that I get from the government will increase my tax bill around $1000 - $1,500 every year.That's so generous of you.

Calcountry
11-17-2012, 01:09 PM
If you're really going to deliberately pay more taxes when you don't have to, you're a moron.No, they are devout and true believers in government.

BucEyedPea
11-17-2012, 01:25 PM
The "fiscal cliff" refers to an oncoming wall of deficit cutting measures that will create a needed market correction which will lead to recovery sooner. It should be welcomed—not solved.

FYP

HonestChieffan
11-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Id rather hear how people plan to work in more cash and barter efforts in order to not be subject to more confiscation of our income

BucEyedPea
11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Id rather hear how people plan to work in more cash and barter efforts in order to not be subject to more confiscation of our income

I'm sure the underground economy will continue to grow, as it did in the Iron Curtain countries, as the govt grows and needs more and more money. IRS already knows it's been growing. The market always has the last say—why lefties hate markets so much.

J Diddy
11-17-2012, 01:44 PM

FWIW, I do not intend to trade Hog Farmer for any of his wares.

BucEyedPea
11-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I'd buy some pork from Hog Farmer.

alpha_omega
11-17-2012, 03:18 PM
If you're really going to deliberately pay more taxes when you don't have to, you're a moron.

1% agrees with you.

Chocolate Hog
11-17-2012, 03:20 PM

I'd be willing to give up the medical/dental insurance being deducted from my paycheck before taxes are taken out. That pre-tax break that I get from the government will increase my tax bill around $1000 - $1,500 every year.

Nothing. My money is for me and doesn't belong to the government.

BigRedChief
11-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I am so disappointed in the responses. Don't ask me for one red cent. Ask someone else. When you ask someone else, they say go ask you.

This was about what you personally would give up to help balance the budget. Not what the government should cut. Stop protecting Japan, pensions for congressman etc. Anything but what would effect you personally.

I've got news for you. We cant cut our way out of this mess. Revenues have to be raised. You are going to give something back whether you want to or not.

BucEyedPea
11-17-2012, 03:57 PM
What? I gave up safety....and I was sincere.

HonestChieffan
11-17-2012, 04:33 PM
I am so disappointed in the responses. Don't ask me for one red cent. Ask someone else. When you ask someone else, they say go ask you.

This was about what you personally would give up to help balance the budget. Not what the government should cut. Stop protecting Japan, pensions for congressman etc. Anything but what would effect you personally.

I've got news for you. We cant cut our way out of this mess. Revenues have to be raised. You are going to give something back whether you want to or not.

Start with cuts to spending across the board 5%. And take the highest paid wo currently pay no federal income tax and slap a 10 minimum on those. Dont expect those who already carry a load to do more while other do none.

J Diddy
11-17-2012, 05:22 PM

I'm surprised you didn't expect it. Every piece of legislation that impacts in a negative way to the individual is the devil and the other guy's is unnecessary entitlements. That's the reason why we are in the mess that we are in. That's why I say let the sequester go through.

bsp4444
11-17-2012, 05:32 PM
I'd forego the mortgage interest deduction. And to the people who say "my money is for me" are they not benefitting from the things their taxes are spent on? Maybe these things can be done beter and more efficiently, but they do exist.

mlyonsd
11-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm surprised you didn't expect it. Every piece of legislation that impacts in a negative way to the individual is the devil and the other guy's is unnecessary entitlements. That's the reason why we are in the mess that we are in. That's why I say let the sequester go through.

That's the smartest thing you've ever posted.

JASONSAUTO
11-17-2012, 06:02 PM
I feel taxed plenty.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
11-17-2012, 06:25 PM
I feel taxed plenty.
Posted via Mobile DeviceWhat you should "feel" is the tax load that is the lowest since the 50's?

petegz28
11-17-2012, 06:33 PM
What you should "feel" is the tax load that is the lowest since the 50's?

And the spending is the highest

|Zach|
11-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I will just keep working and creating my own success. Everything is what you make of it. If you depend on the government or blame the government then do better.

Buehler445
11-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a plan that qualifies for pretax withholdings. So I'd definitely be willing to give that up :D.

I'd be willing to give up virtually anything, as long as I'm not the only jackass that gets poked.

I'd be more than willing to give up any social security/medicare/medicaid program. The likelihood is that they won't be around when I'm retirement age anyway. However, I would think that anybody over 55 would be grandfathered in. I do have some people I care about that would be adversely affected by a complete shut off.

As far as the farm bill, I'd be willing to give up every farm program save crop insurance subsidies. I'd especially be in favor of most anything the NRCS does. They're fairly worthless. I would especially LOVE to eliminate the other 83% of the farm bill that is Food stamps, WIC, and school lunches.

From a tax perspective, I'd be willing to do away with Standard Deduction as long as everybody else is too. I think the medical, at least should remain in Schedule A. I would be willing to do away with Section 179. I would be willing to give up my 1/2 SE Medical Insurance. However, if they shitcan SS, medicare, medicaid, they better get rid of SE tax. Also, I am completely unwilling to be taxed on gross business earnings. I will shut my business down the day it gets taxed on gross earnings.

That's pretty much all the breaks I can think of that I get.

Buehler445
11-17-2012, 06:56 PM
What you should "feel" is the tax load that is the lowest since the 50's?

Because he's self employed. I echo that. Federal income taxes are WAYYYY to big of a line item on my P&L.

listopencil
11-17-2012, 07:27 PM
I'd buy some pork from Hog Farmer.

Pulled pork?

BigRedChief
11-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a plan that qualifies for pretax withholdings. So I'd definitely be willing to give that up :D.

I'd be willing to give up virtually anything, as long as I'm not the only jackass that gets poked.

I'd be more than willing to give up any social security/medicare/medicaid program. The likelihood is that they won't be around when I'm retirement age anyway. However, I would think that anybody over 55 would be grandfathered in. I do have some people I care about that would be adversely affected by a complete shut off.

As far as the farm bill, I'd be willing to give up every farm program save crop insurance subsidies. I'd especially be in favor of most anything the NRCS does. They're fairly worthless. I would especially LOVE to eliminate the other 83% of the farm bill that is Food stamps, WIC, and school lunches.

From a tax perspective, I'd be willing to do away with Standard Deduction as long as everybody else is too. I think the medical, at least should remain in Schedule A. I would be willing to do away with Section 179. I would be willing to give up my 1/2 SE Medical Insurance. However, if they shitcan SS, medicare, medicaid, they better get rid of SE tax. Also, I am completely unwilling to be taxed on gross business earnings. I will shut my business down the day it gets taxed on gross earnings.

That's pretty much all the breaks I can think of that I get.This is the ideas I was looking for.

And all of these individual posts that people say they are willing to give up are all based on the premise that everybody will be feeling the pain.

JASONSAUTO
11-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Because he's self employed. I echo that. Federal income taxes are WAYYYY to big of a line item on my P&L.

Thank you.

They fuck me over at every turn.
Posted via Mobile Device

HonestChieffan
11-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Thank you.

They **** me over at every turn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Love sending those quarterly checks dont you? And we should want to send more

JASONSAUTO
11-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Love sending those quarterly checks dont you? And we should want to send more

Oh yeah, that's the last thing I want. To send more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
11-17-2012, 08:53 PM

If you're expecting anybody to volunteer to give these boobs any more of our hard earned money and then have the nerve to be "disappointed":sulk:, you're a fool. They've misspent what they've confiscated year after year, decade after decade.