PDA

View Full Version : Economics Warren Buffets solution to the permanently fix the deficit.

BigRedChief
11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
On CNBC panel:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just
pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more
than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible
for re-election.

Good idea or not?

ROYC75
11-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Congress would be a turnstile every election.

headsnap
11-19-2012, 09:41 PM
that's cute

go bowe
11-20-2012, 12:32 AM
has a certain common-sense appeal to it...

A Salt Weapon
11-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Sounds good to me, good luck getting the congress critters to enact such a thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

La literatura
11-20-2012, 02:44 AM
So much for leaving forever, huh, sportsshrink?

Direckshun
11-20-2012, 03:39 AM
So much for leaving forever, huh, sportsshrink?

Ha!

I guess we didn't say anything about voting.

FD
11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
It would need to be an amendment, and there would probably be ways to skirt it with accounting tricks, but in principle I support it.

Radar Chief
11-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I think itís ridiculous that there arenít term limits on those seats anyway so Iím in.

Bump
11-20-2012, 12:14 PM
and put those fucks on the same health care plan as us

alpha_omega
11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
pretty sure that wouldn't really end it in 5 minutes, but nice drama though.

FishingRod
11-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately it is kind of like saying people should be happy and no one should go hungry. Well Thanks Warren. I’m beginning to think he is a lot more like Trump than I would have ever beloved.

Another Billionaire attention whore. Yippee.

Radar Chief
11-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately it is kind of like saying people should be happy and no one should go hungry. Well Thanks Warren. Iím beginning to think he is a lot more like Trump than I would have ever beloved.

Another Billionaire attention whore. Yippee.

So youíre really that close?

fan4ever
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Ha!

I guess we didn't say anything about voting.

Oh, so you held him to his bet? I was hoping you were a bit more benevolent than that. Color me disappointed...not because I like his posts, It's just too bad someone as tolerant as yourself couldn't find it in your heart.

La literatura
11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh, so you held him to his bet? I was hoping you were a bit more benevolent than that. Color me disappointed...not because I like his posts, It's just too bad someone as tolerant as yourself couldn't find it in your heart.

LMAO

J Diddy
11-20-2012, 02:47 PM
tbh, I would think stopping him from copying and pasting crap on new threads would be sufficient, but not my call to make.

fan4ever
11-20-2012, 03:47 PM
tbh, I would think stopping him from copying and pasting crap on new threads would be sufficient, but not my call to make.

Obviously the guy liked being here; we all piss each other off from time to time, and some are more annoying than others, but I wouldn't want anyone banned or whatever. Kind of childish IMO. I wonder who offered up the bet; SS or Direckshun.

By the way, I'm sparatic around here; what happened to Frankie? Miss him.

Chocolate Hog
11-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Warren Buffett should retire from talking about politics. The guy has never proposed 1 good idea.

Stewie
11-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Hey Warren. How about taking the first step and paying the $1 billion in taxes Berkshire owes and have been fighting for years.

FishingRod
11-20-2012, 04:53 PM
So youíre really that close?

kannntt tpppe LOL

RINGLEADER
11-20-2012, 05:09 PM
He's presuming Congress wants to balance the budget or reduce the deficit...

BucEyedPea
11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
That's worse than a Tea Bagger.

Just wow! Look at this:

Berkshire-Hathaway is like Goldman-Sachs by buying Wall Street firms and banks after things started melting down. Afterwards, Buffett lobbied hard for those very firms to get lots bailout money. Crony capitalism is alive and well on the Democrat side of the aisle.

A Few Questions (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/126766.html)

BucEyedPea
11-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey Warren. How about taking the first step and paying the $1 billion in taxes Berkshire owes and have been fighting for years.

:thumb:

BigRedChief
11-27-2012, 08:43 PM
On November 26, 2012, Warren Buffett recommended that the cutoff point in the President’s tax proposal plan which would and the Bush era tax cuts to increase from $250,000 to $500,000.

“I support President Obama’s proposal to eliminate the Bush tax cuts for high income taxpayers,” the philanthropist, investor and business magnate wrote in a piece published in the New York Times this past Monday. “However, I prefer a cutoff point somewhat above $250,000 – maybe $500,000 or so.”

He also said to Congress, “right now, to enact a minimum tax on high incomes.
“I would suggest 30% of taxable income between $1 million and $10 million, and 35% of amounts above that,” wrote Buffett.

“A plain and simple rule like that will block the efforts of lobbyists, lawyers and contribution-hungry legislators to keep the ultra-rich paying rates well below those incurred by people with income just a tiny fraction of ours. Only a minimum tax on very high incomes will prevent the stated tax rate from being eviscerated by these warriors for the wealthy.
“Above all, we should not postpone these changes in the name of ‘reforming’ the tax code. We can’t let those who want to protect the privileged get away with insisting that we do nothing until we can do everything.”

He mentions that the wealthy will not stop investing their money if there is a raising taxes, even though conservatives argue that investments will cease.
Buffett also mentioned that between 1956 to 1969, the marginal tax rate on dividends was a very large 70%, when you compare that to the current 35%. Also at that time, capital gains tax was 27.5%, which you can compare to the current maximum of 15%.

“Never did anyone mention taxes as a reason to forgo an investment opportunity that I offered,” he also mentioned in the article.

“Under those burdensome rates, moreover, both employment and the gross domestic product… increased at a rapid clip. The middle class and the rich alike gained ground.

“So let’s forget about the rich and ultra rich going on strike and stuffing their ample funds under their mattresses if – gasp – capital gains rates and ordinary income rates are increased. The ultra rich, including me, will forever pursue investment opportunities.”

Buffett also mentioned that more than 25% of the 400 richest people in the US “paid a less than 15% of their take in combined federal income and payroll taxes,” he said while citing figures from 2009, which is the latest year reported during the study. “Half of this crew paid less than 20%. And – brace yourself – a few actually paid nothing.”

The people in question earned an average of $202 million during 2009 – “which works out to a wage of $97,000 per hour, based on a 40 hour work week,” said Buffett. “I’m assuming they’re paid during lunch hours,” he wrote in parentheses.