PDA

View Full Version : Religion Notice how many gods you reject.

Pages : [1] 2

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Proof #28 - Notice how many gods you reject

There are literally thousands of religions being practiced today. Here are 20 of the most popular, along with an estimate of the number of followers:

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand

[Source: Encyclopedia Britannica]

If you believe in God, you have chosen to reject Allah, Vishnu, Budda, Waheguru and all of the thousands of other gods that other people worship today. It is quite likely that you rejected these other gods without ever looking into their religions or reading their books. You simply absorbed the dominant faith in your home or in the society you grew up in.

In the same way, the followers of all these other religions have chosen to reject God. You think their gods are imaginary, and they think your God is imaginary.

In other words, each religious person on earth today arbitrarily rejects thousands of gods as imaginary, many of which he/she has never even heard of, and arbitrarily chooses to "believe" in one of them.

The following quote from Stephen F. Roberts sums up the situation very nicely:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

A rational person rejects all human gods equally, because all of them are equally imaginary.

How do we know that they are imaginary? Simply imagine that one of them is real.

If one of these thousands of gods were actually real, then his followers would be experiencing real, undeniable benefits. These benefits would be obvious to everyone. The followers of a true god would pray, and their prayers would be answered. The followers of a true god would therefore live longer, have fewer diseases, have lots more money, etc.

There would be thousands of statistical markers surrounding the followers of a true god.

Everyone would notice all of these benefits, and they would gravitate toward this true god. And thus, over the course of several centuries, everyone would be aligned on the one true god. All the other false gods would have fallen by the wayside long ago, and there would be only one religion under the one true god.

When we look at our world today, we see nothing like that. There are two billion Christians AND there are more than one billion Muslims, and their religions are mutually exclusive. There are thousands of other religions. When you analyze any of them, they all show a remarkable similarity -- there is zero evidence that any of these gods exist.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Would you like to be a moderator on Chiefsplanet? You'll fit in just fine. #I'msuperbutthurt

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 04:58 AM
yup.

jspchief
11-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Unless you believe that they are all just different interpretations of the same god.

okoye35chiefs
11-24-2012, 06:04 AM
Unless you believe that they are all just different interpretations of the same god.

yes! I like that!

or does the GOD that you believe in tell you to kill off everyone who does not believe in "your" god?

it all comes down to extremists no matter what you follow...

AussieChiefsFan
11-24-2012, 06:05 AM
yes! I like that!

or does the GOD that you believe in tell you to kill off everyone who does not believe in "your" god?

it all comes down to extremists no matter what you follow...sad truth

blaise
11-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Atheists here spend more time trying to convince people there is no God than religious people spend trying to convince people there is.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Atheists here spend more time trying to convince people there is no God than religious people spend trying to convince people there is.

LMAO bullshit~

blaise
11-24-2012, 09:09 AM
LMAO bullshit~

No, it's not bullshit.

BucEyedPea
11-24-2012, 09:11 AM

Spot-on observation. Atheist evangelists.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Yes, really.

First off I don't identify myself as an atheist. However the believers spent just as much time arguing as the nonbelievers do~

BucEyedPea
11-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Proof #28 - Notice how many gods you reject
Buddhism: 376 million

Buddhism doesn't believe in a god or deity.

Don't know about some of those other eastern/new age ones do though?

La literatura
11-24-2012, 09:19 AM
I have a very good reason for rejecting Vishnu. I once prayed to him the night before I had to give a speech in high school. I ended up dry-heaving during the speech and developing a skin rash shortly afterward.

blaise
11-24-2012, 09:20 AM
First off I don't identify myself as an atheist. However the believers spent just as much time arguing as the nonbelievers do~

I seldom see pro-religion threads, or pro-Christianity threads started here. I see anti-religion and anti-Christian threads started fairly often. I would say at the least the atheist crowd is doing more to start the debates.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 09:26 AM

I seldom see pro-religion threads, or pro-Christianity threads started here. I see anti-religion and anti-Christian threads started fairly often. I would say at the least the atheist crowd is doing more to start the debates.

So why have I received no such visits at my house from Atheists but continue to get weekly visits from Catholics, Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses?

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 09:31 AM

That could be true. Atheists and agnostics are growing in numbers and becoming more vocal~

blaise
11-24-2012, 09:32 AM
So why have I received no such visits at my house from Atheists but continue to get weekly visits from Catholics, Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses?

Maybe you don't actually live on the message board.

BucEyedPea
11-24-2012, 09:56 AM

If there were, can you imagine the rabid attacks calling those who start the nuts with the subsequent piling on? Oh my! Such tolerance we would see respecting people of faith.

BigCatDaddy
11-24-2012, 09:59 AM

LMAO That was quite the jump he made there.

Dave Lane
11-24-2012, 10:01 AM
The God project currently estimates there are 100,000 different gods that have been worshipped at one point or another on earth. You just worship 1 while reject 99,999. Why is yours right?

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 11:14 AM
True. I'm damned near an atheist except for worshiping that one true God that I do.

Hell, I was totally on the atheism wagon until he revealed himself to me and invited me to follow. Now I'm not going to pretend to know why he did that when he did that, but once he called my name I'd have been a fool not to come.

Pitt Gorilla
11-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Atheists here spend more time trying to convince people there is no God than religious people spend trying to convince people there is.I'd love to see your corpus of data for quantification.

patteeu
11-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I believe in all of them except Juche and Obama.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
True. I'm damned near an atheist except for worshiping that one true God that I do.

Hell, I was totally on the atheism wagon until he revealed himself to me and invited me to follow. Now I'm not going to pretend to know why he did that when he did that, but once he called my name I'd have been a fool not to come.

Tell him to give me a call sometime, I would like to ask him some questions~

patteeu
11-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Way more time based on my observation.

Chiefspants

I think believers begin to tune out the efforts of fellow believers as they grow around such an environment, the reason atheists may seem more boisterous is because the few who do speak up attract a lot of attention.

Chiefspants
Way more time based on my observation.

False.

patteeu
11-24-2012, 11:23 AM

Sure you do. Do you spend a lot of time in soup lines?

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Tell him to give me a call sometime, I would like to ask him some questions~

No fair. I was in line first and I have a really long list.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 11:27 AM

There's no accounting for being batshit insane.

patteeu
11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
False.

Can you link me to the last thread started by a believer who was trying to convince non-believers that they were wrong?

lewdog
11-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I just ignored a ringing doorbell pushed by two guys in white shirts and ties who were probably here to tell me why their God is superior and why I should follow all the rules. I sure hope I didn't miss my first visit from an Atheist!

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 11:35 AM
There's no accounting for being batshit insane.

I know, right?

stevieray
11-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Can you link me to the last thread started by a believer who was trying to convince non-believers that they were wrong?

this should be good.....

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 11:37 AM
I know, right?

People believe in aliens because of hallucinations too, you know.

Ever heard of sleep paralysis?

lewdog
11-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265434&highlight=tebow

patteeu
11-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265434&highlight=tebow

No. Is that the same level of discernment you use to spot these armies of evangelizing missionaries who you think are assaulting your front door in waves? Maybe it's just the FedEx guy or the Terminix man.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 11:43 AM
No fair. I was in line first and I have a really long list.

LMAO fair enough~

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 11:57 AM
People believe in aliens because of hallucinations too, you know.

Ever heard of sleep paralysis?

That's probably it. Thanks, man.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 11:58 AM
No. Is that the same level of discernment you use to spot these armies of evangelizing missionaries who you think are assaulting your front door in waves? Maybe it's just the FedEx guy or the Terminix man.

I guess some people really don't have a sense of humor. Wow, boring life you must lead.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 11:59 AM
That's probably it. Thanks, man.

That's absolutely it.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 12:00 PM
That's absolutely it.

Next...

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 12:02 PM

I have had a half dozen knocks on my door here in NC only to answer it and find an unwanted solicitation from one church or another. I can not count the times I have come home to find a leaflet from some church. I have never heard of atheists or agnostics doing this.

La literatura
11-24-2012, 12:10 PM

This doesn't happen.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 12:10 PM
I have had a half dozen knocks on my door here in NC only to answer it and find an unwanted solicitation from one church or another. I can not count the times I have come home to find a leaflet from some church. I have never heard of atheists or agnostics doing this.

And it is still baffling what these people think they are going to accomplish with such talks? It is right up there with political posts that you think will sway someone's opinion on a political matter.

I don't really give a shit if you want to believe or don't want to. I only ask you to not try to tell me why you believe what you believe...my mind is already made up just like everyone else's.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 12:12 PM
This doesn't happen.

I would actually say it does, albiet not weekly visits, only once. They built a new Catholic Church a few months ago and some of them were coming around the neighborhood with flyers and letting people know it was ready.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 12:16 PM
And it is still baffling what these people think they are going to accomplish with such talks? It is right up there with political posts that you think will sway someone's opinion on a political matter.

I don't really give a shit if you want to believe or don't want to. I only ask you to not try to tell me why you believe what you believe...my mind is already made up just like everyone else's.

Put out a sign that explains your position. I'd think that most but the densest of religious folk would respect your decision. They might even be grateful that you'd be freeing up time that could be spent with people who are more open minded on the matter.

You could be doing God's work by putting up a simple cross with a red line through it and the words, "I don't want to hear it. Move along."

RedNeckRaider
This doesn't happen.

Several third world countries disagree~

patteeu
This doesn't happen.

That was my main problem with his post. It's hard to believe he has weekly visits from Mormons and JWs, but at least it's something they do. Sticking Catholics in the list calls the whole claim into doubt though.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Put out a sign that explains your position. I'd think that most but the densest of religious folk would respect your decision. They might even be grateful that you'd be freeing up time that could be spent with people who are more open minded on the matter.

You could be doing God's work by putting up a simple cross with a red line through it and the words, "I don't want to hear it. Move along."

I should not need to~

La literatura
11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
I would actually say it does, albiet not weekly visits, only once. They built a new Catholic Church a few months ago and some of them were coming around the neighborhood with flyers and letting people know it was ready.

I hope you called the cops on those creeps.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I should not need to~

I'm not trying to identify what's right and wrong here. I'm simply offering a solution to an annoyance.

La literatura
11-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Several third world countries disagree~

The key to evangelism in the third world is not knocking on doors. It's Hershey chocolate bars.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Haha I guess. I use to talk to most of them but I have since stopped at they come at least once a weekend and I never have much to say. I suppose I could argue with them about shit but I don't feel the need, as I try not to put my opinion on them. I have no bad feelings for people who worship whatever God they want to. Would be nice if they respected me the same as I do them.

Again, I have no idea what they want to accomplish. If it is solely to talk about God, that is what church is for. If it is to persuade someone to join their religion, that is just plain stupid for thinking that will work. I think it might just be that it helps them sleep at night to know they spread God's word.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 12:25 PM
I hope you called the cops on those creeps.

I think you are missing the point, which is probably too long to explain to you.

But yes, next time I will try the cops. Thanks.

Dave Lane
11-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Ummmm...

Heres a recent one. There's lots more too.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262893

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 12:31 PM
The key to evangelism in the third world is not knocking on doors. It's Hershey chocolate bars.

LMAO

La literatura
11-24-2012, 12:32 PM
I think you are missing the point, which is probably too long to explain to you.

But yes, next time I will try the cops. Thanks.

Atta boy!

Dave Lane
11-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Heres the last one. There's lots more too.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Ummmm...

Heres a recent one. There's lots more too.

Don't know how you found those through all the Atheists threads cluttering this board!?

La literatura
11-24-2012, 12:39 PM
That's the same thread in each post.

La literatura
11-24-2012, 12:45 PM
It's not a sure-fire way, but you can click on the Religion icon (and then adjust the timeframe) to view many threads that have focused on religion. Compare the titles. In my brief review, there are a few hostile to religious beliefs, most about current events dealing with religion in the news, and some genuine religious questions. There are very few that could be described as religious evangelization.

ROYC75
11-24-2012, 12:47 PM
:shake:

Not worth the argument!! One here on earth can not argue with a true atheist, only one true man has ever argued and won, he ascended to heaven.

cosmo20002
11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
:shake:

Not worth the argument!! One here on earth can not argue with a true atheist, only one true man has ever argued and won, he ascended to heaven.

Nope. I'm undefeated and I'm still here.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks for showing up, Mr. Cassel. The bench is over there.

ROYC75
11-24-2012, 12:54 PM

You are one of a kind.LMAO

mnchiefsguy
11-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Nope. I'm winless and I'm still here.

FYP.

ROYC75
11-24-2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.leaderu.com/wri-table2/God.html

go bowe
11-24-2012, 01:04 PM

the election is over and richie rich lost...

it's time for a new sig for you... :spank:

whoman69
11-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Christianity, Judaism and Islam have the same God. That makes up about half the people on the planet.

ROYC75
11-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Christianity, Judaism and Islam have the same God. That makes up about half the people on the planet.

There is a lot of people who feel this way, they just have a different interpretation it.

ISLAM
God
Allah means "the God"-- indicating the radical monotheism of Islam. "We shall not serve anyone but God, and we shall associate none with Him" (Koran 3.64). Any division of God is rejected, including the Christian doctrines of the Trinity and the divinity of Christ.

The majesty and might of Allah is often portrayed in the Koran, and it is emphasized that his purposes are always serious. Justice is Allah's most important feature for Muslims.

Allah is also merciful and compassionate, but that mercy is shown mainly in his sending messengers who proclaim the truth of man's responsibility to live according to Allah's dictates.

JUDAISM
God
The complete unity of God--both as a powerful, just ruler and as a merciful, loving deliverer--is central to Judaism. That means that Jews do not flinch from confronting the problem of the existence of pain and suffering, although they freely admit that it is a mystery. Somehow God is Lord even in the midst of a painful and evil world.

God is not merely some supreme force but is a person, one with emotions of anger, sadness, and joy. He is above all a person with whom one can have a relationship; He desires to share the full gamut of emotions with men.

At the same time God has a certain remoteness. He is above the world, and His ways are often inscrutable to man. The tension between God's nearness and farness is a recurring theme of Judaism, leading to passionate appeals by Jews for communication with Him.

God is seen as continually active in a creative way, constantly working in the world to offer men the opportunity to fulfill their obligations toward Him and toward fellow men.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Jesus Christ is one person of my God. I think that I and more than a billion Muslims and Jews disagree with you.

ROYC75
11-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Jesus Christ is one person of my God. I think that I and more than a billion Muslims and Jews disagree with you.

This I agree with and will live by.

To each their own.

ROYC75
11-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Islam does not speak as Jesus as God's son.....

patteeu
11-24-2012, 01:16 PM

That thread doesn't seemed to be about convincing atheists that God exists. I read through the first several posts and I couldn't identify any call-outs or challenges coming from the believer side.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 01:21 PM
That thread doesn't seemed to be about convincing atheists that God exists. I read through the first several posts and I couldn't identify any call-outs or challenges coming from the believer side.

Geology, theology. I think the rhyming tripped Dave Lane up.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Haha I guess. I use to talk to most of them but I have since stopped at they come at least once a weekend and I never have much to say. I suppose I could argue with them about shit but I don't feel the need, as I try not to put my opinion on them. I have no bad feelings for people who worship whatever God they want to. Would be nice if they respected me the same as I do them.

Again, I have no idea what they want to accomplish. If it is solely to talk about God, that is what church is for. If it is to persuade someone to join their religion, that is just plain stupid for thinking that will work. I think it might just be that it helps them sleep at night to know they spread God's word.

I have always responded the same here in North Carolina as I did in Kansas. I am friendly and cut the conversation very short by saying I am not interested, have a nice day goodbye. The only church I have been rude to was Jehovah Witnesses. That is because I told them I was not interested and the sneaky shitbags came back when I was not home. I guess the truck not parked in the driveway is an easy hint. This happened twice once in Wichita and once in Haysville. In Wichita the I found some of their propaganda on the kitchen table and asked the wife about it. She said they were nice guys and did not want to hurt their feelings. It worked out because a few weeks later I had my truck in the shop and was home when I normally would be at work. I heard a knock at the door and answered standing in front of me was the clowns I had run off, they were very surprised and clearly nervous. I walked out on the porch as they retreated off of it. I told them to get the **** off my property and if they returned they would catch a beating.

The 2nd time was the same deal only that time when I saw the same type propaganda I found out my daughter was their target as the wife and I both worked during the day at that point. She like her mother is too nice to tell them to **** off, although both should have mentioned I would become a problem if they did not go away. In this case I knew where their cult headquarters were located at. I lived on the very west side of Haysville and they have a cult compound just north of 71st and Meridian. I took the paperwork to their building and tried to walk in but the doors were locked, there were a half dozen or more cars in the parking so I knocked on the door several times with no answer. I took the leaflets and wrote them a note saying I lived at xxx Ranger st and if they returned my response would not be friendly so stay the **** away from my house and placed it in their mailbox. Both times after facing the idea of consequences for their stupidity they never returned. At this point It needs to be said that my daughter and her mom both still believe, the daughter was close to my mother and holds the Irish catholic line while her mom chooses the nondenominational path. I have had the same conversation with them I am not interested~

stevieray
11-24-2012, 01:41 PM

nope, but that agenda will soon be front and center...look for the catholics and muslims to unite under that banner.

La literatura
11-24-2012, 01:43 PM
nope, but that agenda will soon be front and center...look for the catholics and muslims to unite under that banner.

Why do you say that?

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 01:49 PM

How much are the tickets for this? Can I attend with a Jewish friend?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Islam, Judaism, and Christianity all acknowledge Abraham as the earthly father of thier respective faiths.

stevieray
11-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Islam, Judaism, and Christianity all acknowledge Abraham as the earthly father of thier respective faiths.

...and yet, only one recognizes Jesus as the the Son of God.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-24-2012, 02:30 PM
...and yet, only one recognizes Jesus as the the Son of God.

True.

blaise
11-24-2012, 02:32 PM
I'd love to see your corpus of data for quantification.

Glad to hear it.

Rams Fan
11-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Um. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all have the same God.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Scientology: 500 thousand

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Actually, Islam has been projected to outgrow Christianity within 20 years.

stevieray
11-24-2012, 02:35 PM

you always late to the party?

Rams Fan
11-24-2012, 02:36 PM
you always late to the party?

Yes.

Too busy reading my Hebrew text. ;)

BucEyedPea
11-24-2012, 02:51 PM

It's the area you live in. I rarely get anything.

Rain Man
11-24-2012, 02:53 PM

There's no money in atheism.

I wonder if I could start an atheist church. People show up on Sundays, I pass around the collection plate, and then we all watch football.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 02:59 PM
It's the area you live in. I rarely get anything.

I have had them in Kansas and North Carolina~

Saulbadguy
11-24-2012, 03:01 PM
There's no money in atheism.

/thread

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Next...

It's scientifically proven, you dipshit.

Sleep paralysis is the basis for almost every kind of "creepy night time visitor" in the history of fucking mankind.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 03:06 PM

In theory, not in practice, and certainly not if you were to poll the modern clueless generations of each religion.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 03:10 PM
It's scientifically proven, you dipshit.

Sleep paralysis is the basis for almost every kind of "creepy night time visitor" in the history of ****ing mankind.

Thanks. Please step through the turnstile.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks. Please step through the turnstile.

LMAO

Bump
11-24-2012, 03:12 PM
whenever someone says they are religious, I immediately think of them as less intelligent.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 03:14 PM
whenever someone says they are religious, I immediately think of them as less intelligent.

:popcorn:

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Anytime you and I agree I fear those who disagree with me feel the same~

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 03:18 PM
What's interesting is I know intelligent people who are also religious.

Including ClevelandBronco.

The need to be religious defies logic in some people. It's an incredible phenomenon.

In the end it's a social crutch for many.

Bump
11-24-2012, 03:20 PM

The need to be religious defies logic in some people. It's an incredible phenomenon.

as do I, it just tells me that they are susceptible to having their minds controlled easily, which makes them less intelligent than they could be.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 03:20 PM

Hit the bong again. Everything will seem to make sense temporarily.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Reason is often overcome by emotion.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 03:23 PM

It not only defies logic. It supercedes logic. It dwarfs logic. It reveals logic to be an inferior tool that is, unfortunately, widely used for tasks it was not designed to handle.

|Zach|
11-24-2012, 03:25 PM
as do I, it just tells me that they are susceptible to having their minds controlled easily, which makes them less intelligent than they could be.

Are you actually going to leave the country or are you just a big talker?

BigCatDaddy
11-24-2012, 03:25 PM
whenever someone says theory of gravity, I immediately think of them as less intelligent.

FYP

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
It not only defies logic. It supercedes logic. It dwarfs logic. It reveals logic to be an inferior tool that is, unfortunately, widely used for tasks it was not designed to handle.

GOD IS LOVE, BROTHER

WORSHIP HIM OR DIE HORRIBLY FOREVER

Bump
11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Hit the bong again. Everything will seem to make sense temporarily.

in the whole of human history, there has never been a single case when the supernatural explanation turned out to be the right one. Betting on science, when it conflicts with religious belief, is a pretty sure bet.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 03:29 PM
in the whole of human history, there has never been a single case when the supernatural explanation turned out to be the right one. Betting on science, when it conflicts with religious belief, is a pretty sure bet.

I'm not religious, so you'd probably be better off having that conversation with someone who is.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 03:30 PM
GOD IS LOVE, BROTHER

WORSHIP HIM OR DIE HORRIBLY FOREVER

That's a pretty twisted take on it. Not unpopular necessarily, but pretty twisted.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 03:38 PM
That's a pretty twisted take on it. Not unpopular necessarily, but pretty twisted.

Pretty accurate however~

Fish
11-24-2012, 03:39 PM

What tasks do you feel logic is not designed to handle?

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 03:41 PM

Defense of religious belief, for one.

Religion appeals to different centers of the brain. It satisfies a need in some people, much like lust or hunger. It's almost primal.

Rain Man
11-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I lost religion in 1972. I was nine years old and my parents made me go to church, and I had to ride home on the church bus. I would never get home until the first quarter of the Chiefs game was over, and sometimes even missed an entire half. I decided that I could not worship a god who would let that happen.

These days, I'm starting to rethink it, though.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 03:45 PM
I lost religion in 1972. I was nine years old and my parents made me go to church, and I had to ride home on the church bus. I would never get home until the first quarter of the Chiefs game was over, and sometimes even missed an entire half. I decided that I could not worship a god who would let that happen.

The Chiefs always provided me with a more rewarding emotional outlet than anything else, hence they superseded any religious (and sexual) needs.

Makes a lot of sense looking back.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Most that regard faith, most emotional responses, many aspects of creativity, very often humor, certainly selflessness. Do you have something specific in mind?

Pitt Gorilla
11-24-2012, 04:00 PM
It not only defies logic. It supercedes logic. It dwarfs logic. It reveals logic to be an inferior tool that is, unfortunately, widely used for tasks it was not designed to handle.Logic is an inferior tool? I assume you aren't being serious.

Fish
11-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Most that regard faith, most emotional responses, many aspects of creativity, very often humor, certainly selflessness. Do you have something specific in mind?

No, I was simply curious.

A logical person would probably reply that faith and emotion aren't really necessary, and are usually more trouble than they're worth. I don't really understand how logic would not apply to creativity or selflessness though.

Rain Man
11-24-2012, 04:01 PM
The Chiefs always provided me with a more rewarding emotional outlet than anything else, hence they superseded any religious (and sexual) needs.

Makes a lot of sense looking back.

It's all about what brings us comfort and helps us through life's travails.

In my theofootbology, it's as if God has become Satan.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 04:07 PM
No, I was simply curious.

A logical person would probably reply that faith and emotion aren't really necessary, and are usually more trouble than they're worth. I don't really understand how logic would not apply to creativity or selflessness though.

Logic informs creativity to a great degree. You'll get no argument from me about that. And Ayn Rand would probably agree that acts that appear to be selfless are usually (if not always) not selfless at all, but rather acts of enlightened self interest. Personally, I think she goes too far.

Bump
11-24-2012, 04:07 PM

I lost mine when I was 13 years old. I went to a week long church camp that showed me everything I needed to see to get the fuck away from religion. Sleep deprivation was their main mind control tactic and I remember trying to run off and sleep and they caught me and they were like YOU WANT ME TO CALL YOUR PARENTS AND HAVE THEM COME AND GET YOU and I was like HELL YES get me the fuck out of here. Then they wouldn't call my parents once I said that and I had to tough it out.

stevieray
11-24-2012, 04:08 PM

yup, pretty much.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Logic is an inferior tool? I assume you aren't being serious.

I am.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 04:09 PM
I rebelled by lying about needing to do homework on Sundays and then watching football.

God never punished me so I assumed he didn't exist.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 04:10 PM
It's all about what brings us comfort and helps us through life's travails.

In my theofootbology, it's as if God has become Satan.

Perhaps there is a God and he's punishing me through the Chiefs.

Sorry everyone.

My heathen nature has doomed us all.

Rain Man
11-24-2012, 04:10 PM
I lost mine when I was 13 years old. I went to a week long church camp that showed me everything I needed to see to get the **** away from religion. Sleep deprivation was their main mind control tactic and I remember trying to run off and sleep and they caught me and they were like YOU WANT ME TO CALL YOUR PARENTS AND HAVE THEM COME AND GET YOU and I was like HELL YES get me the **** out of here. Then they wouldn't call my parents once I said that and I had to tough it out.

Did you also do archery? Sleep deprivation and archery at the same camp is just asking for trouble.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 04:12 PM

It might be a simple response to adversity. Sometimes people seek deeper meaning when tragedies such as a death in the family or a natural disaster or a Romeo/Pioli/Cassel event affects them.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 04:20 PM

You had me at faith...cherish it, enjoy it, just do not be offended when the subject is taken up and faith means nothing in the arena of discussion. I am happy that you found peace of mind just do not offer it up as something to be taken seriously and save the threats of me being tortured for eternity if I do not buy into your superstition~

Bump
11-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Did you also do archery? Sleep deprivation and archery at the same camp is just asking for trouble.

nope, no fun activities like that. They let us swim in a lake though. Church was from 7am - 5pm every single day and they forced us to stay up past 2am. It was definitely a tactic, people's brains are definitely easier to manipulate with no sleep after several days.

Rain Man
11-24-2012, 04:22 PM
nope, no fun activities like that. They let us swim in a lake though. Church was from 7am - 5pm every single day and they forced us to stay up past 2am. It was definitely a tactic, people's brains are definitely easier to manipulate with no sleep after several days.

Dude, that wasn't a swim in the lake. They baptized you.

patteeu
11-24-2012, 04:22 PM

Dealing with a woman.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 04:24 PM
You had me at faith...cherish it, enjoy it, just do not be offended when the subject is taken up and faith means nothing in the arena of discussion. I am happy that you found peace of mind just do not offer it up as something to be taken seriously and save the threats of me being tortured for eternity if I do not buy into your superstition~

Okay. Thanks, I guess.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Dude, that wasn't a swim in the lake. They baptized you.

That is one of the reasons the Catholics claim such large numbers. As an infant they sprinkle water on your head and claim you as a catholic. I like millions of others have never endorsed or agreed to this contract but the catholic church still claims us as members~

stevieray
11-24-2012, 04:30 PM

wow, quite the conundrum...don't be offended when it's not taken seriously vs. don't offer it up as something to be taken seriously.

it really is amazing how much some people can't get past it.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Okay. Thanks, I guess.

I like you and I am serious that I am glad you found comfort in your beliefs. I am just as serious about the rest of that post, but that does not change the first part of my post~

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 04:34 PM
wow, quite the conundrum...don't be offended when it's not taken seriously vs. don't offer it up as something to be taken seriously.

it really is amazing how much some people can't get past it.

Steve you are my friend and I would rather not go to battle with you on this. I will but not by choice~

HonestChieffan
11-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Negotiations with a wife comes immidiately to mind. Also using logic with a person who is emotional or mad as hell will not go well for you

stevieray
11-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Steve you are my friend and I would rather not go to battle with you on this. I will but not by choice~
and you are my friend....:thumb:

just so you know, you don't find peace and comfort, peace and comfort finds you.

I think this is why it's so hard for some to grasp....it isn't about us....it's about Him.

whoman69
11-24-2012, 04:42 PM

They can disagree all they like. Islam and Christianity are all off shoots of Judaism. Just because they don't agree doesn't change facts.

Saulbadguy
11-24-2012, 04:46 PM
They can disagree all they like. Islam and Christianity are all off shoots of Judaism. Just because they don't agree doesn't change facts.

It's all the same shit.

stevieray
11-24-2012, 04:50 PM
that's not what you said...you said they ALL believe in the same God.

....and they don't. The Jews ignored the prophets and the prophecy of the OT being fulfilled through Christ....hence their temple being destroyed in 70 AD..... the Muslims, like the Jews, don't believe Christ is the Son of God.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 04:57 PM
and you are my friend....:thumb:

just so you know, you don't find peace and comfort, peace and comfort finds you.

I think this is why it's so hard for some to grasp....it isn't about us....it's about Him.

Live well my friend~

stevieray
11-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Live well my friend~

you too my brother..tell your son I said hey!

LiveSteam
11-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Was Mary Magdalene a whore or the wife of Christ?
Maybe Jesus liked dirty girls to ?

Brock
11-24-2012, 05:01 PM

....and they don't. The Jews ignored the prophets and the prophecy of the OT being fulfilled through Christ....hence their temple being destroyed in 70 AD..... the Muslims, like the Jews, don't believe Christ is the Son of God.

Nah, it's the same god. The jews didn't ignore the prophets, they were the prophets. They just don't think Jesus was the messiah. Their temple being destroyed in 70 had nothing to do with anything. Whether the Muslims believe in Jesus or not, they're all worshipping the same god.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Nah, it's the same god. The jews didn't ignore the prophets, they were the prophets. They just don't think Jesus was the messiah. Their temple being destroyed in 70 had nothing to do with anything. Whether the Muslims believe in Jesus or not, they're all worshipping the same god.

Those Muslim are going to be so pissed when they find out.

Brock
11-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Those Muslim are going to be so pissed when they find out.

They appear to be pissed off either way.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 05:04 PM
ALL WORSHIP SAME GOD

BUT WANT TO KILL EACH OTHER

HOW POSSIBLE?

MAYBE RELIGION WRONG?

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 05:05 PM
ALL WORSHIP SAME GOD

HOW POSSIBLE?

MAYBE RELIGION WRONG?

Maybe people idiots. Make religions that are certainly wrong.

lewdog
11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I was raised Catholic from the time of birth until I was 15 when all that Catholic shit about priests molesting boys came out. I would go to church every Sunday and go to Catholic classes every Wednesday. The people at our church, like many in all religions, preach accepting while really throwing those who do not follow under a judgmental microscope. The judgmental natural, strict rule following of rules that really don't make a ton of sense, is what drives me away. As I became more educated, my acceptance of a tolerable religion because even less. Too many religious people use faith to make decisions, instead of going by things science has proven.

I am accepting of those who choose to practice religion if they remain within reason of their expectations of faith, show common sense about these many "rules" and don't preach to me. I have a good friend who prays everyday and has a strong faith in God, but he also lives with his girlfriend (tsk, tsk) and uses birth control. He has used religion to get him though difficult times, is one of the least judgmental people I have ever met but realizes the difference between science and religion. He has not taken the "literal" meaning of the bible and believes in using religion to make him a better person, while not having to follow all these "rules", like (gasp) protected pre-marital sex and building a relationship with a person before legally giving your life them. So while I myself do not have a place for religion in my life, I respect those who incorporate it into their life while not making it their ENTIRE life.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 05:06 PM

Will do! I will send you my facebook info, I do not get on much but there are some pictures from today~

Brock
11-24-2012, 05:08 PM
ALL WORSHIP SAME GOD

HOW POSSIBLE?

MAYBE RELIGION WRONG?

Because God is not without a sense of humor.

OH BTW GUYZ - I PUT THE MOST IMPORTANT COMMODITY ON EARTH RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL THE CRAZINESS SORRY LOL

blaise
11-24-2012, 05:09 PM

Here's the thing - you don't seem intelligent.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Dude clean out your mail box so I can give you my facebook info~

Saulbadguy
11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
ALL WORSHIP SAME GOD

HOW POSSIBLE?

MAYBE RELIGION WRONG?

They don't even kill each other over religion anymore. That's just an excuse.

whoman69
11-24-2012, 05:27 PM

That doesn't mean that they don't have the same God. They do.

ClevelandBronco
11-24-2012, 05:30 PM

You don't really have much to say on this subject, do you?

stevieray
11-24-2012, 05:33 PM

uh, ya they did...Herod, Caaipphus etc were not prophets....and Christ himself foretold that the temple would be torn down.

Not only do Muslims not believe that Christ was the Son of God, they don't believe you can even have a relationship with God.

and this takes me back to my first point to whoman69...that banner is going to be front and center for peace and security.

stevieray
11-24-2012, 05:35 PM

No, they don't.

Count Zarth
11-24-2012, 05:36 PM
and this takes me back to my first point to whoman69...that banner is going to be front and center for peace and security.

Which is the cycle of religion existing to control people repeating itself.

stevieray
11-24-2012, 05:37 PM
They don't even kill each other over religion anymore. That's just an excuse.

...you're Jewish, go to SA with a Bible and see how it works out for you.

stevieray
11-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Which is the cycle of religion existing to control people repeating itself.

no, it's coming, but it isn't here yet.

HonestChieffan
11-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Im always interested in these threads. I was raised Episcopalian and changed to Methodist when i got married and have been through a cursillo in the Catholic church in the Peoria illinois area.

It always amazes me how non believers seem so loud in their claims of disbelief and those who do have faith seem so confident in faith that we just listen to them. My faith strenghthened with birth of my son and continues to grow over time

We Methodists in my community have those crazy Catholics next door and on occasion we use each others parking lots. Across the road are Lutherans but they dont use our parking lot. Any thought of a fatwa against either of them is usually wiped out. When we plan a dinner, the mens ham and bean supper or the catholics having a chili supper

Christians of all faiths seem to get along. We even accept jews, Mormans, and baptists (they cook some kick ass stuff). Why do muslims seem more prone to kill their own who are in different tribes?

BigMeatballDave
11-24-2012, 05:55 PM

LMAO Okay...

Brock
11-24-2012, 06:02 PM
uh, ya they did...Herod, Caaipphus etc were not prophets....and Christ himself foretold that the temple would be torn down.

Not only do Muslims not believe that Christ was the Son of God, they don't believe you can even have a relationship with God.

No, not really. Isaiah, Micah, Zechariah, etc. were all Jews, they aren't ignored they were Jews. Jesus predicting the temple would be torn down wasn't really much of a prediction, given what was going on in Israel at the time. Muslims do not believe that Christ was the son of God, which doesn't mean anything with regard to what I said, but they do believe you can have a relationship with God:

I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm’s length, I draw near to him a fathom’s length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

Brock
11-24-2012, 06:03 PM
...you're Jewish, go to SA with a Bible and see how it works out for you.

What is it you imagine would happen?

stevieray
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
No, not really. Isaiah, Micah, Zechariah, etc. were all Jews, they aren't ignored they were Jews. Jesus predicting the temple would be torn down wasn't really much of a prediction, given what was going on in Israel at the time. Muslims do not believe that Christ was the son of God, which doesn't mean anything with regard to what I said, but they do believe you can have a relationship with God:

the Jews in Jesus' time chose to ignore that prophecy being fulfilled was at hand...they saw him as nothing more than a blasphemer, a false prophet, and someone who was gaing traction among their people., and understandably, felt that upheaval would put them in danger under Roman rule.

He not only foretold of the destruction, he even gave the detail that no stone would be standing...you can marginalize it all you want.

muslims do not believe in a personal relationship with God, to claim so would be as dangerous as what Christ procliamed.

lots of ifs in your quote.

HonestChieffan
11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Stevie id love your facebook info

Brock
11-24-2012, 06:30 PM
the Jews in Jesus' time chose to ignore that prophecy being fulfilled was at hand...they saw him as nothing more than a blasphemer, a false prophet, and someone who was gaing traction among their people., and understandably, felt that upheaval would put them in danger under Roman rule.

He not only foretold of the destruction, he even gave the detail that no stone would be standing...you can marginalize it all you want.

muslims do not believe in a personal relationship with God, to claim so would be as dangerous as what Christ procliamed.

They didn't ignore the prophecies. They simply didn't, and don't, recognize Jesus as fulfilling them.

Destroyed is destroyed, if you want to seize on "the detail that no stone would be standing", even though a stone was left standing when the Romans destroyed it, be my guest.

Muslims can and do have a personal relationship with god. You're simply wrong about that.

There were no ifs in my quote.

ROYC75
11-24-2012, 06:34 PM

What about Jesus ?

Ebolapox
11-24-2012, 06:39 PM
What about Jesus ?

he does a great job mowing the lawn, but his work with a weed-eater leaves a bit to be desired... he must be preoccupied by the orange sales by the side of the road that his brother james is working on, or trying to figure out how his wife is going to get picked up from her maid's job.

whoman69
11-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Jesus was Jewish. His followers split off to form their own church. They both believe in Jehovah, the one true God.

Muslims believe that when God asked Abraham to sacrifice one of his sons that it was Ishmael who was to be sacrificed while the Jews believe it was Isaac. God at the last minute told Abraham to sacrifice a goat instead. The Muslims believe that Abraham then went to Saudi Arabia with Ishmael where they remade the Kabah, the holiest artifact in Islam. Ishmael became first of the Arab race. The Jews believe Abraham went with Isaac to found the nation of Israel. Islam does not mention what happened to Isaac.

Despite the fact that they believe different things, they are all worshiping the same monotheistic God, whether he is called Jehovah, God or Allah.

Brock
11-24-2012, 06:41 PM
What about Jesus ?

The addition of an intercessor between god and man doesn't change the identity of god.

blaise
11-24-2012, 06:56 PM
LMAO Okay...

Glad to see you agree.

Dave Lane
11-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Now I know you are insane.

Im always interested in these threads. I was raised Episcopalian and changed to Methodist when i got married and have been through a cursillo in the Catholic church in the Peoria illinois area.

It always amazes me how non believers seem so loud in their claims of disbelief and those who do have faith seem so confident in faith that we just listen to them. My faith strenghthened with birth of my son and continues to grow over time

We Methodists in my community have those crazy Catholics next door and on occasion we use each others parking lots. Across the road are Lutherans but they dont use our parking lot. Any thought of a fatwa against either of them is usually wiped out. When we plan a dinner, the mens ham and bean supper or the catholics having a chili supper

Christians of all faiths seem to get along. We even accept jews, Mormans, and baptists (they cook some kick ass stuff). Why do muslims seem more prone to kill their own who are in different tribes?

Dave Lane
11-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Jesus predicting the temple would be torn down wasn't really much of a prediction,

Especially since the books were written AFTER the temple had already been torn down. LMAO

The predicting business is much easier after the fact.

As a matter of fact I predict that 2012 will be a disappointing season for the KC Chiefs.

Rain Man
11-24-2012, 07:26 PM
As a matter of fact I predict that 2012 will be a disappointing season for the KC Chiefs.

Oh, ye of little faith.

go bowe
11-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Especially since the books were written AFTER the temple had already been torn down. LMAO

The predicting business is much easier after the fact.

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

HonestChieffan
11-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Now I know you are insane.

Ok.

listopencil
11-24-2012, 07:41 PM
muslims do not believe in a personal relationship with God

“Truly in the heart there is a void that cannot be removed except with the company of Allah.

And in it there is a sadness that cannot be removed except with the happiness of knowing Allah and being true to Him.

And in it there is an emptiness that can not be filled except with love for Him and by turning to Him and always remembering Him.

And if a person were given all of the world and what is in it, it would not fill this emptiness.”

- ibn al Qayyim al Jawziyyah

Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr (more commonly known as Ibn Qayyim or Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah) (1292-1350CE / 691 AH- 751 AH) was a famous Sunni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunni) Islamic jurist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faqih), commentator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafsir) on the Qur'an (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur%27an), astronomer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_astronomy), chemist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy_and_chemistry_in_Islam), philosopher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_philosophy), psychologist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_psychological_thought), scientist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_science) and theologian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalam). Although he is commonly referred to as "the scholar of the heart,"<sup class="Template-Fact" title="This claim needs references to reliable sources from February 2011" style="white-space:nowrap;">[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]</sup> given his extensive works pertaining to human behavior and ethics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_ethics),<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Qayyim_Al-Jawziyya#cite_note-4)</sup> Ibn Qayyim's scholarship was focused on the sciences of Hadith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_of_hadith) and Fiqh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiqh).

-snip-

Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah's contributions to the Islamic library are extensive, and they particularly deal with the Qur'anic commentaries, and understanding and analysis of the prophetic traditions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Qayyim_Al-Jawziyya

BucEyedPea
11-24-2012, 08:23 PM
I have had them in Kansas and North Carolina~

Same thing. I got none in New England that I can recall.

RedNeckRaider
11-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Same thing. I got none in New England that I can recall.

That is how it should be~

BucEyedPea
11-24-2012, 08:39 PM
That is how it should be~

My point was simply that different regions have more to much more of that kind of activity.
My kid was heavily evangelized her first semester at FSU where she lived. It's the Bible Belt.

Pawnmower
11-25-2012, 10:02 AM

Oh it isn't just here...

Strong Atheists (as opposed to Agnosts / Weak Athiests ) are more pushy than any Jehova, Mormon or Vegan I have ever encountered...

KILLER_CLOWN
11-25-2012, 10:03 AM

/THREAD OVAH!

I don't even try to convince people, just putting it out there so on judgement day no one can say.. Well Lord I didn't know. GOD has a really nice recording system to replay any part of your life. ;)

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Oh it isn't just here...

Strong Atheists (as opposed to Agnosts / Weak Athiests ) are more pushy than any Jehova, Mormon or Vegan I have ever encountered...

How many have knocked on your door?

Bump
11-25-2012, 10:50 AM
/THREAD OVAH!

I don't even try to convince people, just putting it out there so on judgement day no one can say.. Well Lord I didn't know. GOD has a really nice recording system to replay any part of your life. ;)

yeah....no

Bowser
11-25-2012, 10:59 AM
/THREAD OVAH!

*insert gif of young folks at a religious retreat where one has a dinosaur head gif here*

Brainiac
11-25-2012, 11:07 AM
How many have knocked on your door?

Exactly what I was thinking. I've never had an atheist knock on my door and pass out pamphlets, but it happens on a regular basis with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Bump
11-25-2012, 11:09 AM
*insert gif of young folks at a religious retreat where one has a dinosaur head gif here*

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/n00YK.gif

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. I've never had an atheist knock on my door and pass out pamphlets, but it happens on a regular basis with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Knock knock...door opens to a smiling atheist holding out some pamplets, he then asks...have you rejected your god today?

BucEyedPea
11-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Instead, atheists, act as activists by using the force and violence of the federal govt or its courts to remove vestiges of religion—even in local areas.

They do it differently—but they do it too.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Instead, atheists, act as activists by using the force and violence of the federal govt or its courts to remove vestiges of religion—even in local areas.

:spock:

Brock
11-25-2012, 12:42 PM

If you don't like the constitution, change it.

BucEyedPea
11-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Atheist Family Loses Lawsuit to Have ‘Under God’ Removed From the Pledge of Allegiance

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/atheist-family-loses-lawsuit-to-have-under-god-removed-from-the-pledge-of-allegiance/

Some have tried to get "In God We Trust" off of our money too.

BucEyedPea
11-25-2012, 12:47 PM
And what about this:

I once had a committed atheist ask me this question:
“How can a person who is as intelligent as you are believe in God?”

The arrogance implied in that question is typical of the committed atheist. In their eyes, believer = stupid and committed atheist = brilliant.
[I see this around here quite a lot. Even on people who just consider themselves spiritual.]

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/opinion/columns/nothing-more-tedious-than-the-committed-atheist/article_8c5a2879-72da-578e-b038-e8311bb897e5.html

dmahurin
11-25-2012, 01:03 PM

I tr to not jump into religious conversations and to be respectful of people of faith but my mind is to far in the gutter not to laugh at things like this.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Atheist Family Loses Lawsuit to Have ‘Under God’ Removed From the Pledge of Allegiance

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/atheist-family-loses-lawsuit-to-have-under-god-removed-from-the-pledge-of-allegiance/

Some have tried to get "In God We Trust" off of our money too.

Under God was added to our pledge of allegiance in 1954, it was added to our currency around the same time, however it made appearances on coins well before that yet still over a hundred years after our birth as a nation. These changes were driven at the same time as the McCarthyism movement. It does not belong there and should be removed. The 10 commandments and other religious language should be removed from all government buildings. You claim to stand for what the founding fathers intended and not understand how this is a complete contradiction to their intentions amazes me. I have several friends and loved ones who believe in one variation of Christianity or another. If their right to hold these beliefs is ever challenged I will stand among them and all others who hold those beliefs to defend that right.

Every year I post a Merry Christmas thread here and will do the same this year and if anyone is offended by it, good fuck them. It pisses me off when people try to pressure non government companies to not recognize this holiday. I could go into how this date is fabricated in Christianity but I digress. I respect the owner of Chic Filet as he makes his views known and sticks by them. Some who disagree with his beliefs tried to punish him with protests. It back fired and he made a mint from those who share his beliefs. I do not but I respect his conviction and courage and good for him. I have no problem doing business with him because I enjoy his food. If he refused service to those who do not share his beliefs I would have a huge problem with him, he does not and good for him. We need to re-establish separation of church and state and it is way overdue~

Saulbadguy
11-25-2012, 02:35 PM

lots of ifs in your quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism

Saulbadguy
11-25-2012, 02:36 PM
What about Jesus ?

Moses, Muhammad, etc. Just a bunch of sketchy individuals.

BucEyedPea
11-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Under God was added to our pledge of allegiance in 1954, it was added to our currency around the same time, however it made appearances on coins well before that yet still over a hundred years after our birth as a nation. These changes were driven at the same time as the McCarthyism movement. It does not belong there and should be removed. The 10 commandments and other religious language should be removed from all government buildings. You claim to stand for what the founding fathers intended and not understand how this is a complete contradiction to their intentions amazes me. I have several friends and loved ones who believe in one variation of Christianity or another. If their right to hold these beliefs is ever challenged I will stand among them and all others who hold those beliefs to defend that right.

Every year I post a Merry Christmas thread here and will do the same this year and if anyone is offended by it, good **** them. It pisses me off when people try to pressure non government companies to not recognize this holiday. I could go into how this date is fabricated in Christianity but I digress. I respect the owner of Chic Filet as he makes his views known and sticks by them. Some who disagree with his beliefs tried to punish him with protests. It back fired and he made a mint from those who share his beliefs. I do not but I respect his conviction and courage and good for him. I have no problem doing business with him because I enjoy his food. If he refused service to those who do not share his beliefs I would have a huge problem with him, he does not and good for him. We need to re-establish separation of church and state and it is way overdue~
That has nothing to do with establishing a church. George Washingtons Thanksgiving Proclamation contradicts this. But thank you for proving my point.

King_Chief_Fan
11-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Psalm 14:1
Psalm 53:1

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 03:51 PM
That has nothing to do with establishing a church. George Washingtons Thanksgiving Proclamation contradicts this. But thank you for proving my point.

LMAO see Jefferson and Madison and get back with me~

donkhater
11-25-2012, 04:29 PM
If you don't like the constitution, change it.

Freedom of religion is not the same as freedom from religion. This is a subtle difference that escapes most atheists. Large intellect, indeed.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Freedom of religion is not the same as freedom from religion. This is a subtle difference that escapes most atheists. Large intellect, indeed.

LMAO where does separation of church and state fit into your subtle world?

Brock
11-25-2012, 04:41 PM

wow, you really showed me. I'm not an atheist, I just realize that if you apply the constitution's prohibition of endorsing any religion, then you may have a problem when religious imagery appears on government properties. Of course, dumbbells like yourself spin that into some kind of imaginary war on christians.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 04:43 PM
wow, you really showed me. I'm not an atheist, I just realize that if you apply the constitution's prohibition of endorsing any religion, then you may have a problem when religious imagery appears on government properties. Of course, dumbbells like yourself spin that into some kind of imaginary war on christians.

Nails on~

donkhater
11-25-2012, 04:47 PM
LMAO where does separation of church and state fit into your subtle world?

Not in the Constitution as far as I'm aware.

But...

In a society of laws, there is a basis in morality and justice that has its roots from somewhere. Just where might that be? What gives us the guidance to know that murder, theft, rape, and fraud are wrong and subject to consequences? Shouldn't we all just be beholden by the rule of nature? Are other beasts judged as we are? Why not?

To ignore the uniqueness of human existance is to ignore its creator. For if there is no creator, why all the laws that bind us? By following the letter of the law you are already acknowledging a moral code that did not evolve from the primordial ooze.

donkhater
11-25-2012, 04:49 PM

There is no prohibition in endorsing a religion. Only prohibition in preventing the practice of religion.

Brock
11-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Not in the Constitution as far as I'm aware.

But...

In a society of laws, there is a basis in morality and justice that has its roots from somewhere. Just where might that be? What gives us the guidance to know that murder, theft, rape, and fraud are wrong and subject to consequences? Shouldn't we all just be beholden by the rule of nature? Are other beasts judged as we are? Why not?

To ignore the uniqueness of human existance is to ignore its creator. For if there is no creator, why all the laws that bind us? By following the letter of the law you are already acknowledging a moral code that did not evolve from the primordial ooze.

LMAO Are you seriously going to lay out the case that murder is illegal only because it's prohibited by the bible? Does this mean that atheists cannot recognize that murder is reprehensible and wrong? :facepalm:

Brock
11-25-2012, 04:53 PM
There is no prohibition in endorsing a religion. Only prohibition in preventing the practice of religion.

LMAO

I think you'd better read this again:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

donkhater
11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
LMAO Are you seriously going to lay out the case that murder is illegal only because it's prohibited by the bible? Does this mean that atheists cannot recognize that murder is reprehensible and wrong? :facepalm:

No I'm not. But aren't you the least bit curious where those feelings of right and wrong originate?

Brock
11-25-2012, 04:58 PM
No I'm not. But aren't you the least bit curious where those feelings of right and wrong originate?

Who says they "originate" from anywhere but inside the person who feels them?

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Seriously hold to your beliefs if they make you happy, however please avoid trying to revise our history to validate those beliefs~

donkhater
11-25-2012, 05:05 PM
LMAO

I think you'd better read this again:

Perhaps you should.

To be clear, I also agree there should be a separation of church and state, mainly because I don't want the state to have anything to do with how I practice my faith, which is the clear intent of the first amendment.

Using the state to dictate how, where and when someone practices their faith is nowhere to be found in that document.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Perhaps you should.

To be clear, I also agree there should be a separation of church and state, mainly because I don't want the state to have anything to do with how I practice my faith, which is the clear intent of the first amendment.

Using the state to dictate how, where and when someone practices their faith is nowhere to be found in that document.

You are dick dancing and nothing more. From your post above where have I said anything false?

listopencil
11-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Perhaps you should.

He doesn't need to. He understands the amendment. You were wrong.

donkhater
11-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Who says they "originate" from anywhere but inside the person who feels them?

I refuse to believe you aren't a deeper thinker than that. Where do you think your feelings and sense of right and wrong come from? Randomly organized molecules? Why don't every other animal species on earth have that same feeling? How is THAT encoded in our DNA?

Brock
11-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Perhaps you should.

You're going off the rails here. The state is prohibited from endorsing any religion. That's a statement of fact. All else is irrelevant to what i'm saying.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 05:12 PM
He doesn't need to. He understands the amendment. You were wrong.

Yes he is as are all that take his side are. It is amazing the effort these people will go to trying to avoid accepting the simple truth~

Brock
11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
I refuse to believe you aren't a deeper thinker than that. Where do you think your feelings and sense of right and wrong come from? Randomly organized molecules? Why don't every other animal species on earth have that same feeling? How is THAT encoded in our DNA?

Perhaps it comes from my ability for abstract thought and empathy for other people, which animals do not have because they don't have a brain that operates on that level. I don't need religion to give me that.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 05:14 PM

What the fuck does that have to do with the subject? I know what you think you know but it has nothing to do with the subject we are discussing~

listopencil
11-25-2012, 05:18 PM

No, it's encoded in your RNA. That's still not the point.

donkhater
11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
What the **** does that have to do with the subject? I know what you think you know but it has nothing to do with the subject we are discussing~

As it pertains to a specific religion, then, yes, a separation of church and state is appropriate. I don't believe I've denied that. I'm just merely suggesting that the laws of our society did not just evolve with us. Feelings of empathy and justice are not the result of random chance.

The absolute wall between the state and religion (in general, not a specific religion) is hard to achieve and I dare say impossible.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
As it pertains to a specific religion, then, yes, a separation of church and state is appropriate. I don't believe I've denied that. I'm just merely suggesting that the laws of our society did not just evolve with us. Feelings of empathy and justice are not the result of random chance.

The absolute wall between the state and religion (in general, not a specific religion) is hard to achieve and I dare say impossible.

It is as long as people chose to ignore it~

listopencil
11-25-2012, 05:35 PM
(1)As it pertains to a specific religion, then, yes, a separation of church and state is appropriate. I don't believe I've denied that.(2) I'm just merely suggesting that the laws of our society did not just evolve with us. (3)Feelings of empathy and justice are not the result of random chance.

(4)The absolute wall between the state and religion (in general, not a specific religion) is hard to achieve and I dare say impossible.

1) No, that's not what the Constitution says.
2) They were derived from many sources, including the (Native American) Iroquois.
3) Morals and ethics are not dependent upon religion.
4) It's far from impossible, and it's necessary to a free society.

something cooler
11-25-2012, 05:39 PM

There's nothing wrong with that. Creationism is holding the world back.

donkhater
11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
1) No, that's not what the Constitution says.
2) They were derived from many sources, including the (Native American) Iroquois.
3) Morals and ethics are not dependent upon religion.
4) It's far from impossible, and it's necessary to a free society.

I think there is some confusion here based on my poor choice of words. I've been using religion as a catch all word to mean a belief in a creator, not an institution created by man, which is how i believe you are reading it. So to your points:

1) When I said 'specific' I was referring to an institutional belief system, not a moral code, which has its roots in a creator (I contend).
2)by 'us' I mean us as humans not us as Americans
3)agreed, but they don't just happen
4)for each religion, yes. Our system of laws is not entirely the result of evolution, however.

listopencil
11-25-2012, 05:57 PM
I think there is some confusion here based on my poor choice of words. I've been using religion as a catch all word to mean a belief in a creator, not an institution created by man, which is how i believe you are reading it. So to your points:

1) When I said 'specific' I was referring to an institutional belief system, not a moral code, which has its roots in a creator (I contend).
4)for each religion, yes. Our system of laws is not entirely the result of evolution, however.

1) OK, I was just pointing out that the amendment was not intended only to discourage a specific state religion.
2) Our laws did evolve with us humans. We created them. If you choose to believe that divine inspiration moved men to create law then of course you are free to hold that belief.
3) Sure. I was teasing you with my RNA comment.
4) As long as we keep the authority of the Church away from the power of the State we have a chance.

RedNeckRaider
11-25-2012, 06:01 PM

What is it about separation or church and state that confuses you? Reword your beliefs, explain them all you wish. It does not change the fact this country was founded giving you the right to believe how you wish. However the government was not designed to endorse, condone or reject any belief. As in neutral~

donkhater
11-25-2012, 06:26 PM
2) Our laws did evolve with us humans. We created them. If you choose to believe that divine inspiration moved men to create law then of course you are free to hold that belief.

I'm curious. How did men create law if not by some form of divine inspiration? At what point in our biological evolution did we diverge from all other animals in this regard?

I'm really not asking this to instigate anything, I just wonder what your view on it is.

donkhater
11-25-2012, 06:31 PM
What is it about separation or church and state that confuses you? Reword your beliefs, explain them all you wish. It does not change the fact this country was founded giving you the right to believe how you wish. However the government was not designed to endorse, condone or reject any belief. As in neutral~

I'm not a theocrat. I just recognize the role of divine inspiration ( thank you listopencil) in everything inherently human, including government.

mr. tegu
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM

And you would be wrong.

Yay for in the 12th year of the second millennia the reign of terror which had cast a shadow over the kingdom of Arrowhead for four years came to an end. The architect of destruction and tyranny became detached from the people and met his demise from his own doings of arrogance and ego. Along with his puppets, they were removed from power because of the bravery and determination which encompassed the uprising and rebellion of the people. Then upon season's end the table will be set and the savior will come forth through the established rituals of selection. He will lead the kingdom out of darkness and into the light and promise of success that comes from his abilities. And it will be good.

King_Chief_Fan
11-25-2012, 07:10 PM
consider this:

http://www.exploringgod.com/questions/is-there-a-god

listopencil
11-25-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm curious. How did men create law if not by some form of divine inspiration? At what point in our biological evolution did we diverge from all other animals in this regard?

I'm really not asking this to instigate anything, I just wonder what your view on it is.

We didn't diverge from all animals in this. Here's and easy example. Your dog knows that it's not supposed to get into the trash can. You come home from work and your dog has knocked it over. Big mess in the kitchen. Look at your dog. Some dogs are stupid and will just look at back at you with a "Derp?" face. Otherwise you will see remorse, guilt and fear. The dog knows it has done something wrong. If you treat it in a certain way you can train it (most dogs) not to knock over the can anymore. In effect you instituted morals in your dog. He knows right from wrong and makes the decision not to "commit evil."

I could give you a lot of examples of moral/ethical behavior in animals but I have to go to bed. Work in the AM. I'll be back tomorrow.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-26-2012, 12:36 AM
We didn't diverge from all animals in this. Here's and easy example. Your dog knows that it's not supposed to get into the trash can. You come home from work and your dog has knocked it over. Big mess in the kitchen. Look at your dog. Some dogs are stupid and will just look at back at you with a "Derp?" face. Otherwise you will see remorse, guilt and fear. The dog knows it has done something wrong. If you treat it in a certain way you can train it (most dogs) not to knock over the can anymore. In effect you instituted morals in your dog. He knows right from wrong and makes the decision not to "commit evil."

I could give you a lot of examples of moral/ethical behavior in animals but I have to go to bed. Work in the AM. I'll be back tomorrow.

Great example for GOD in there, a teaching moment for sure.

La literatura
11-26-2012, 01:21 AM

Two issues come to mind. 1) Supposing the dog knows he does wrong, that feeling is still taught to him by humans. Had it not been for training, that dog would have made a mess in the kitchen and gone about his day no matter how intelligent of a dog he is. 2) The dog knows he did wrong because of the reaction from the human and the poor consequences that follow. Human gets angry; dog gets put in kennel or outside or hit w/ newspaper or whatever standard dog training is; kennel/outside is not comfortable, human angry voice is disturbing, and hit w/ newspaper feels bad.

But a dog cannot tell you why it is bad to make the mess in the kitchen. He has no idea the values that are associated with whatever it is humans think bad, whether it be making a mess in the kitchen or eating the 2 mo old child.

La literatura
11-26-2012, 01:31 AM
Jesus was Jewish. His followers split off to form their own church. They both believe in Jehovah, the one true God.

Muslims believe that when God asked Abraham to sacrifice one of his sons that it was Ishmael who was to be sacrificed while the Jews believe it was Isaac. God at the last minute told Abraham to sacrifice a goat instead. The Muslims believe that Abraham then went to Saudi Arabia with Ishmael where they remade the Kabah, the holiest artifact in Islam. Ishmael became first of the Arab race. The Jews believe Abraham went with Isaac to found the nation of Israel. Islam does not mention what happened to Isaac.

Despite the fact that they believe different things, they are all worshiping the same monotheistic God, whether he is called Jehovah, God or Allah.

I used to think the same thing. And historically, the sentiment rings true. This is what Peter says in Acts 3, when he references the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And of course, the Christian and New Testament ties to the Hebrew Scriptures are innumerable.

However, theologically, it is not true. There are fundamental differences in the conception of this God that they cannot be the same. Jews, Muslims, and Christians cannot all be correct about the particularly important facets of God. Each religion sees their God through their prism, looking back to the Hebrew Scriptures and seeing their God. But looking forward and presently, they each worship a God that has important differences from the others' formation of God.

La literatura
11-26-2012, 01:52 AM
That is one of the reasons the Catholics claim such large numbers. As an infant they sprinkle water on your head and claim you as a catholic. I like millions of others have never endorsed or agreed to this contract but the catholic church still claims us as members~

There's no contract. There's no official Catholic Member Directory where the Church claims people. The Catholic Church doesn't claim members, and unless you've registered through a parish, you don't officially count for much. It does claim, however, that your baptism was a nice little deal your parents gave you whether you realize it or not.

BigCatDaddy
11-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Defense of religious belief, for one.

Religion appeals to different centers of the brain. It satisfies a need in some people, much like lust or hunger. It's almost primal.

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing" - Blaise Pascal

BucEyedPea
11-26-2012, 07:36 AM
What is it about separation or church and state that confuses you?

Where are the words "separation or church and state " in the Constitution anyways? The simple truth is, it's not there.

Reword your beliefs, explain them all you wish. It does not change the fact this country was founded giving you the right to believe how you wish. However the government was not designed to endorse, condone or reject any belief. As in neutral~

The govt is NOT forcing you to believe in God either. The Constitution does NOT guarantee freedom from religion either. It's supposed to restrain the federal govt—not local values. Many state's still had official state churches at the time of ratification and well into the 19th century. Some of those issues got mixed in because of the abuse of the 14th amendment using incorporation.

And the Pledge is a declaration of allegiance to the state. No wonder a socialist wrote the original version. That's their higher authority who grants rights.

BucEyedPea
11-26-2012, 07:40 AM
LMAO see Jefferson and Madison and get back with me~

Already have....you missed a LOT of earlier debates. All I need are the final written words of the document that matters though.

BucEyedPea
11-26-2012, 07:41 AM

I agree. They want to push it in a closet where it's never heard from. They want to impose their atheism. Like I said their arguments prove my original point. Atheists use the state and it doesn't just end with removing any words referring to a higher power. The curriculums in schools push atheistic humanism on other people's children, replacing it with statism. They're guilty of what they accuse religious folks of doing.

blaise
11-26-2012, 07:48 AM
I agree. They want to push it in a closet where it's never heard from.

Well, I think you have some people who legitimately want a clear separation of church and state and then you have a group of people who are borderline bigoted against Christians and just use any opportunity to try and ridicule, or demean anything about religion or churches. For some people the agenda isn't to protect the constitution, but some personal crusade against religion. I think a lot of that is motivated by simple bigotry.

BucEyedPea
11-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Well, I think you have some people who legitimately want a clear separation of church and state and then you have a group of people who are borderline bigoted against Christians and just use any opportunity to try and ridicule, or demean anything about religion or churches. For some people the agenda isn't to protect the constitution, but some personal crusade against religion. I think a lot of that is motivated by simple bigotry.

I agree there are some people with legitimate concerns about the federal govt establishing a state religion. I also agree with the rest of what you posted.

Fish
11-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Of course they have. Barely 200 years ago, I could have owned an African American. Modern Christianity had existed for nearly 2000 years, yet I could legally own another person. If social laws don't evolve, then why am I unable to own another person today? Why have we let women vote? How do you explain changes like that to our laws?

We can point to things in the Bible itself, that were perfectly acceptable in the time it was written, but yet would be condemned and punishable by imprisonment or even death under today's laws. For that to exist, either the omnipotent all knowing God changed his mind, or our laws have changed independently of religion.

Feelings of empathy and justice are absolutely visible in nature. Countless non human species have visible hierarchies of order, and can observably tell "Right from wrong".

Read this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/5373379/Animals-can-tell-right-from-wrong.html

How would you explain observations such as the above?

BucEyedPea
11-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Of course they have. Barely 200 years ago, I could have owned an African American. Modern Christianity had existed for nearly 2000 years, yet I could legally own another person. If social laws don't evolve, then why am I unable to own another person today? Why have we let women vote? How do you explain changes like that to our laws?

It's the people's attitude and mentalities that have to change before law changes. Laws that stem from the values of the people are easier to enforce. Slavery was very, very common for thousands of years until questioned during the Enlightenment. It wasn't just Christians...it was just accepted by most. It died out in most places with the stroke of a pen. It would have died out eventually among the southern plantation owners too. That was the direction things were moving in.

Until then, there would have been no possibility of even having the new national govt—a Constitutional republic, because some of the minds at the original convention were not ready to let go of it. There was a compromise to get the new govt. So, this argument is sorta bogus, because essentially it's tantamount to saying we should have remained under the Articles of Confederation. In a way, I do think we would have been better off in the sense we'd be a freer people because the anti-Federalists turned out to be correct. However, the slavery point, is overplayed as a point as it was dying out anyway. Though, today, it's returning by making us all slaves to the state.

La literatura
11-26-2012, 09:23 AM
It's the people's attitude and mentalities that have to change before law changes. Laws that stem from the values of the people are easier to enforce. Slavery was very, very common for thousands of years until questioned during the Enlightenment. It wasn't just Christians...it was just accepted by most. It died out in most places with the stroke of a pen. It would have died out eventually among the southern plantation owners too. That was the direction things were moving in.

Until then, there would have been no possibility of even having the new national govt—a Constitutional republic, because some of the minds at the original convention were not ready to let go of it. There was a compromise to get the new govt. So, this argument is sorta bogus, because essentially it's tantamount to saying we should have remained under the Articles of Confederation. In a way, I do think we would have been better off in the sense we'd be a freer people because the anti-Federalists turned out to be correct. However, the slavery point, is overplayed as a point as it was dying out anyway. Though, today, it's returning by making us all slaves to the state.

How is this relevant to this discussion and KC Fish's underlying point? His argument is not "sorta bogus." It's a good point.

Fish
11-26-2012, 09:28 AM

That still supports my point. It shows that our laws and our moral stances changed over time without divine influence. Man changed its own laws because man realized its previous beliefs were wrong. Despite the fact that the Bible supported or even encouraged the practices.