PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I know I am probably screwed but need advice

synthesis2
12-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Make the situation quick, wanted my deck redecked and found a guy on craigslist that does it. His companies name is "brown can do" and he had been around for a long time and had done work for a family member several years ago. Anyway everything seemed legit.

With that said he came out to the house, he was a little rough dress wise but seemed to have his stuff together and at least talked the talk to make you feel better about it.

Said he would order the composite boards but needed a deposit for the materials ($2500)

I gave him the money and let me know a few days later than those boards were on backorder so I gave some other ideas and he has since not got back to me.

Here is the question ( I know I was a dumb ass for even giving him a deposit I get it) but I intentially didn't sign the check as my safety net and if he would have asked me about it I was going to tell him that as soon as I see an order I will sign it.

Needless to say he signed my check and cashed it and I have not hear from him since and its been a month.

Here is the question should I

1) Go to small claims court? he may not have a penny to piss in and would loose in a landslide

2) Go to my bank and tell them I didn't sign the check and see what happens from there?

Just curious which was would be better to go.

ferrarispider95
12-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Go to the police first, he has committed forgery. Then take the police report to the bank and see what options you have. Unfortunately, I don't think the bank can do anything for you.

Bugeater
12-06-2012, 10:38 PM
You're not screwed. You're fucked.

Frazod
12-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Go to the police first, he has committed forgery.

This.

Did he actually try to duplicate your signature, or just write something in?

Deberg_1990
Wow, $2500 before he even did a lick of work. Who does that?
Posted via Mobile Device

BCD
Yeah, forgery.

cdcox
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Antifreeze.

CrazyPhuD
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Go to the police first, he has committed forgery.

This....and if you're in the KC area and he happened to cross state lines then it can be a federal offense....

You should be able to get a copy of the check from your bank which will clearly show the non-matching signatures.

JonesCrusher
12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Part that scumbag out. Organs are gettin some major bank on E-bay.

-King-
12-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Should be easy to prove fraud.

listopencil
12-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Go to the police first, he has committed forgery. Then take the police report to the bank and see what options you have.

^

Do it now.

Pushead2
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
:popcorn:

Raiderhader
12-06-2012, 10:50 PM
^

Do it now.

Yep, don't waste time.

Unsmooth-Moment
12-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Use a particular set of skills to track the guy down and kill him. Or go to the police.

FAX
12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Go buy a framing hammer with your last 20 dollars and smack yourself in the head with it.

FAX

BossChief
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Now you know what brown can do for you.

La literatura
12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Whoops. State law gives construction guys mechanics liens in case they don't get paid, so never give them an advance.

Okay, but lesson learned. Good luck. I would think you would get a default judgment in the county, then spend some time with the cops looking for forger. Then file your judgment in his county and attach his property. I would expect it to take time and probably not get full return, but you never know.

Phobia
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
1. Don't do business on craigslist.
2. If you do business on craigslist, don't advance any money.
3. If you're on a site with one of the best deck builders in the metro, call him first.

bevischief
12-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Dumbass never pay up front.

Willie Lanier
12-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Go buy a framing hammer with your last 20 dollars and smack yourself in the head with it.

FAX

ROFL

Really? How do you trust anyone in that particular sector of business? No disrespect to anyone in that industry, but if I'm doing anything on the house, I don't write a check before work is done...

Unless it's family...

ClevelandBronco
12-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Yeah. This is a matter for the police now.

Next time a guy wants you to pay for materials up front, have the materials delivered to your site in your name and pay the supplier yourself upon delivery. Then it won't matter if the contract labor flakes out on you.

This guy either wanted to rip you off from the get-go, or he wanted you to become the banker for his business. Either situation is bullshit.

Phobia
12-06-2012, 11:48 PM
ROFL

Really? How do you trust anyone in that particular sector of business? No disrespect to anyone in that industry, but if I'm doing anything on the house, I don't write a check before work is done...

Unless it's family...

You wouldn't do business me then. We make and agree upon a sensible payment schedule before work commences. That way if you get hit by a bus or are trying to take advantage of me, I don't lose my house. If I get hit by a bus or am trying to take advantage of you, you're not hurt too badly either. I can't buy $5k worth of material and then float you a loan while paying for the labor to have it all installed. There's a reasonable compromise and if you do business with reputable people who have real businesses your risk is minimal. If you do business with people from craigslist or want ads, you're going to be screwed more often than not. I've been hurt a whole lot worse by deadbeat clients than this guy was screwed by a scam artist.

ClevelandBronco
12-06-2012, 11:55 PM
You wouldn't do business me then. We make and agree upon a sensible payment schedule before work commences. That way if you get hit by a bus or are trying to take advantage of me, I don't lose my house. If I get hit by a bus or am trying to take advantage of you, you're not hurt too badly either. I can't buy $5k worth of material and then float you a loan while paying for the labor to have it all installed. There's a reasonable compromise and if you do business with reputable people who have real businesses your risk is minimal. If you do business with people from craigslist or want ads, you're going to be screwed more often than not. I've been hurt a whole lot worse by deadbeat clients than this guy was screwed by a scam artist.

The way I see it, you want your client to lend you money to pay for your employees. If your client is paying your expenses throughout the job, what exactly do they need you for?

Phobia
12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
The way I see it, you want your client to lend you money to pay for your employees. If your client is paying your expenses throughout the job, what exactly do they need you for?

No. Not at all. I want paid for materials as they're delivered. I want paid for a half-done job when it's half done. I can't do a $50k job and wait a month to get paid on it. Some guys can and do.

I lost $15k to a lady when I first moved to KC. That will never happen again. Ever.

They need me for my expertise, resources and labor. I don't need a grocery store. I can create everything they sell there. I just don't have time, tools, nor expertise.

jjjayb
12-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Call these guys:

http://www.jmorganmarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/a-team.jpg

La literatura
12-07-2012, 12:04 AM
No. Not at all. I want paid for materials as they're delivered. I want paid for a half-done job when it's half done. I can't do a $50k job and wait a month to get paid on it. Some guys can and do.

I lost $15k to a lady when I first moved to KC. That will never happen again. Ever.

here's where the theory hits the street, I suppose. My understanding is that the mechanics lien attaches whatever you built or improved upon. But there's no protection for all the lost hours spent, huh.

Phobia
12-07-2012, 12:09 AM
here's where the theory hits the books, I suppose. My understanding is that the mechanics lien attaches whatever you built or improved upon. But there's no protection for all the lost hours spent, huh.

Mechanics liens are awesome for new construction. Because the title can't be transferred without the lien being paid. They're worthless for an existing home because you're out the materials and labor you put in plus the filing costs of renewing the lien. My mistake was working on a rental for a lady that won't transfer title until she dies. There's no way I'm throwing $50 a year at that for 40 years until she's dead. I'm already out $15k. Live and learn. I learned.

ClevelandBronco
12-07-2012, 12:09 AM

They need me for my expertise, resources and labor. I don't need a grocery store. I can create everything they sell there. I just don't have time, tools, nor expertise.

I've never had a grocery store just disappear with my money, and except for Costco, they've never asked me to pay in advance.

I understand your position, and we might be able to come to an agreement only if I knew and trusted your reputation.

Phobia
12-07-2012, 12:14 AM
I've never had a grocery store just disappear with my money, and except for Costco, they've never asked me to pay in advance.

I understand your position, and we might be able to come to an agreement only if I knew and trusted your reputation.

We're on the same page. Reputation is 60% of closing for me.

ClevelandBronco
12-07-2012, 12:17 AM
We're on the same page. Reputation is 60% of closing for me.

It's a joy to find people who have that kind of reputation. It's a relatively rare and valuable asset.

nstygma
12-07-2012, 12:27 AM
His companies name is "brown can do" and he had been around for a long time and had done work for a family member several years ago. Anyway everything seemed legit.
these guys?
http://www.browncandoetc.com/index.html

http://www.bbb.org/kansas-city/business-reviews/construction-and-remodeling-services/cbia-inc-in-oak-grove-mo-1000001253/

ClevelandBronco
12-07-2012, 12:42 AM
these guys?
http://www.browncandoetc.com/index.html

http://www.bbb.org/kansas-city/business-reviews/construction-and-remodeling-services/cbia-inc-in-oak-grove-mo-1000001253/

Son of a gun. Those guys at 816-878-2051 and 816-878-1884?

That's 816-878-2051 and 816-878-1884.

Once again, those numbers are 816-878-2051 and 816-878-1884.

Operators are standing by.

btlook1
12-07-2012, 03:41 AM
I would be happy to make you a better deal. I can pm you my address and you can send me a check for 2K. I will show up and get it done after your check clears...LOL.

3rd&48ers
12-07-2012, 04:14 AM
If anybody here needs their Deck redone... PM Me

Mr. Flopnuts
12-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Former credit manager here. You're not screwed at all. If you didn't sign that check, it's not a legal instrument, and therefore could not be cashed legally. Contact the fraud department within your bank first. Second call the police and file a criminal report if your bank tells you there is a signature on your check. Third call Phobia and have a professional job done at reasonable rates. Fourth ?????????????. Fifth profit!

memyselfI
12-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Former credit manager here. You're not screwed at all. If you didn't sign that check, it's not a legal instrument, and therefore could not be cashed legally. Contact the fraud department within your bank first. Second call the police and file a criminal report if your bank tells you there is a signature on your check. Third call Phobia and have a professional job done at reasonable rates. Fourth ?????????????. Fifth profit!

Did OP happen to take a copy of the unsigned check before he tendered it? If so, I think he's in better shape than if he didn't.

notorious
12-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Nearly every contractor I know. I have been screwed by not receiving down money before.

Edit: I should specify that the down is for material only, never labor.

Saulbadguy
12-07-2012, 06:04 AM
Staple his scrotum to a fence post.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Did OP happen to take a copy of the unsigned check before he tendered it? If so, I think he's in better shape than if he didn't.

Doesn't matter. If he didn't sign it he is not responsible. His bank has it now and forgery paperwork is all that's required for his bank to refund him immediately.

memyselfI
12-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Doesn't matter. If he didn't sign it he is not responsible. His bank has it now and forgery paperwork is all that's required for his bank to refund him immediately.

Good to know.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Nearly every contractor I know. I have been screwed by not receiving down money before.

Edit: I should specify that the down is for material only, never labor.

Correct.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 06:29 AM

And correct.

Bwana
12-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Not cool, do you know where the dudes house is?

ZepSinger
12-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Craigslist is rife with scam artists. I sell alot of music gear on it, but cash only. They don't like it, they can f**k off.

Z

Bwana
12-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Craigslist is rife with scam artists. I sell alot of music gear on it, but cash only. They don't like it, they can f**k off.

Z

Yep, everthing I have sold on Craigslist has been CASH ONLY. I always love it when I have that stated in the advertisement and some strokestick will ask, "will you take a check?"

synthesis2
12-07-2012, 06:58 AM
On the check I was uncomfortable with giving him money up front so I filled out the check and did everything but sign it. I did sign his "contract" talking about the work.

My best guess is that he took my signature from my contract and copied it over to my check because it looks very close to my signature.

How can they verify that it isn't my signature if it looks very close?

I hvae to give the guy credit, he is slick..

Just don't know if I go that route or go the small claims court route?

blaise
12-07-2012, 07:01 AM
I'd call him and say he'd better have the money at my house by noon, in cash, or expect a visit from the cops.
Then I'd call my bank to get the wheels in motion on a fraud claim.

Bwana
12-07-2012, 07:02 AM
On the check I was uncomfortable with giving him money up front so I filled out the check and did everything but sign it. I did sign his "contract" talking about the work.

My best guess is that he took my signature from my contract and copied it over to my check because it looks very close to my signature.

Once again, do you know where the guy lives? If it were me, I would be knocking on his door.

FRCDFED
12-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Just playing devils advocate here..........I agree with what everyone is saying about filing a forgery report with the local police and contacting your bank.

However, is it possible that the materials truly are on backorder and he had to put money down with the supplier to place the order? Is it possible that he is just unreliable at getting back to you but is waiting on the materials?

I would also consider asking him who the supplier is and attempt to verify that the materials have been ordered. I have seen some items take a long time to come in. My co-worker recently replaced his deck with composite materials and had to wait for an extended period to get them in.

Good luck!

Dayze
12-07-2012, 07:11 AM
find him, and break his knees with a baseball bat. $2500 well spent.

Swanman
12-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Who takes a check that isn't signed? Besides that guy of course. Although the forgery was made easier by giving him a signature to copy onto the check.

Gonzo
12-07-2012, 07:25 AM
There once was a guy named synthesis 2.
Who payed for a deck before the work was thru.
He should've called Phil.
Before paying that bill.
But now he's most definitely screwed.

Frazod
12-07-2012, 07:29 AM

I don't know how complex your signature is, but a handwriting analyst should be able to determine if it is a fake. Personally, I have an extremely intricate and almost completely illegible signature. Good luck to anybody who'd try to copy it.

OTOH, if it's a 100% spot-on reproduction of the signature from your contract, then he probably copied it from the contract and used a printer to put it on the check. It should be easy to determine whether or not it was written in ink. In any event, you should consult the police immediately.

LiveSteam
12-07-2012, 07:33 AM

Listen to Flopnuts on this. Deal with the fraud department of your bank. If the police need to be involved the fraud department will let you know.
Small claims court IMO & experience is a big F-ing waist of time.

Iowanian
12-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Uh oh. You're going to get sued for this thread for disparaging online comments.

durtyrute
12-07-2012, 07:37 AM
There once was a guy named synthesis 2.
Who payed for a deck before the work was thru.
He should've called Phil.
Before paying that bill.
But now he's most definitely screwed.

:clap:ROFLROFLROFL

ChiTown
12-07-2012, 07:38 AM
SMH

Seriously?

Iowanian
12-07-2012, 07:38 AM
On the bright side, you could probably get someone from craigslist to break his leg for $500.

notorious
12-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Who takes a check that isn't signed? Besides that guy of course. Although the forgery was made easier by giving him a signature to copy onto the check.

This.

Why even take the check if he has to come back to you to get it signed? He must be an idiot.

I would have told you to take your business elsewhere if you didn't want to put money down, though. Way to much liability on me if you back out.

Dr. Gigglepants
12-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Seems like for every 1 Phobia there are 2 or 3 of these guys. Sorry, but there isn't a profession with a more earned bad reputation than contractors/construction guys. I'd say every homeowner out there has at least 1 bad experience with them. But, yes, a deposit is pretty standard to those who think otherwise. I had my deck redone this spring, the guy wasn't perfect but I would recommend him bc at least he delivered what he promised in the end. It was touch and go for a while, though, and rife with many of the classic excuses homeowners hear all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

fan4ever
12-07-2012, 08:33 AM
I had a friend here in AZ who got his checkbook stolen out of his car...guy ran around signing checks all over town...and then screwed up by accidentally signing his OWN NAME to one of the checks...police wouldn't do squat.

CLX
12-07-2012, 08:34 AM

When I've done work with contractors that needed material and wanted a deposit we always had paperwork to cover ourselves. I should note here that I've never done business on craigslist. A reputable contractor shouldn't ask for money without some kind of paperwork. I might give a repeat contractor an advance, but that would be a situation where you've developed a trust with the guy. I would like to think that in a bigger metropolitan area than I'm in the contractor would be bonded.

Phobia
12-07-2012, 08:39 AM
When I've done work with contractors that needed material and wanted a deposit we always had paperwork to cover ourselves. I should note here that I've never done business on craigslist. A reputable contractor shouldn't ask for money without some kind of paperwork. I might give a repeat contractor an advance, but that would be a situation where you've developed a trust with the guy. I would like to think that in a bigger metropolitan area than I'm in the contractor would be bonded.

Yeah. All that. It's really not all that difficult to figure out if you're working with a scammer or not.

BCD
12-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I had a friend here in AZ who got his checkbook stolen out of his car...guy ran around signing checks all over town...and then screwed up by accidentally signing his OWN NAME to one of the checks...police wouldn't do squat.
LMAO

BCD
12-07-2012, 08:48 AM
I cannot remember the last time I wrote a check.

Probably 7 yrs.

Dayze
12-07-2012, 08:48 AM
when I was a project controller, we would have various Ts&Cs; like maybe a 20/60/20 plan (or somethin similar).
we would award them 20% of the lump sum to begin work, and as they complete certain milestones. as they work on the next 60%, they would invoice at agreed upon intervals with progress payment releases. the final 20 is witheld until final punchlist items are resolved etc.

granted, that's a lump sum purchase order, not time and materials etc. I worked primarily with cost management in constructing cellular towers/equipment etc. I still use some of the same scope of work, and contract details when I have work done as a CYA for both contractor and customer.

Pushead2
12-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah. All that. It's really not all that difficult to figure out if you're working with a scammer or not.

ehem....see OP. :D

KCHawg
12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
1. Don't do business on craigslist.
2. If you do business on craigslist, don't advance any money.
3. If you're on a site with one of the best deck builders in the metro, call him first.

:hmmm: I wonder who that could be? :hmmm:

Lepht
12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
OMG I have the exact same scenario with the guy!. He bid a fence project for me and I gave him a deposit. He hasn't made contact or returned calls for 3wks now. Maybe a combined effort can get some results. I've gone from bothered to pissed since I saw your post...which I found after i googled the guys phone number.

nstygma
12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
OMG I have the exact same scenario with the guy!. He bid a fence project for me and I gave him a deposit. He hasn't made contact or returned calls for 3wks now. Maybe a combined effort can get some results. I've gone from bothered to pissed since I saw your post...which I found after i googled the guys phone number. this (http://goo.gl/maps/MQr79) may be his residence

Phobia
12-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Wow. Don't work with craigslist contractors. Call 816-665-1208 if you need help on your project.

Bugeater
12-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Or call me if you're fine with giving your money away.

Tombstone RJ
12-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Make the situation quick, wanted my deck redecked and found a guy on craigslist that does it. His companies name is "brown can do" and he had been around for a long time and had done work for a family member several years ago. Anyway everything seemed legit.

With that said he came out to the house, he was a little rough dress wise but seemed to have his stuff together and at least talked the talk to make you feel better about it.

Said he would order the composite boards but needed a deposit for the materials ($2500)

I gave him the money and let me know a few days later than those boards were on backorder so I gave some other ideas and he has since not got back to me.

Here is the question ( I know I was a dumb ass for even giving him a deposit I get it) but I intentially didn't sign the check as my safety net and if he would have asked me about it I was going to tell him that as soon as I see an order I will sign it.

Needless to say he signed my check and cashed it and I have not hear from him since and its been a month.

Here is the question should I

1) Go to small claims court? he may not have a penny to piss in and would loose in a landslide

2) Go to my bank and tell them I didn't sign the check and see what happens from there?

Just curious which was would be better to go.

This. Unfortunately most banks don't ever look at the sig but they should have a copy of the check. If they bank honored the check with no sig, you can blame the bank. If the check was honored with a forged name, you should be able to prove it's a false signature and the bank should be able to see the difference.

DonkyPuncher
12-10-2012, 09:47 PM
ROFL

Unless it's family...

Yea right family is the worst to pay in advance

Bugeater
12-10-2012, 09:47 PM
this (http://goo.gl/maps/MQr79) may be his residence
That's some shack there. The dude obviously does quality work, you can't even tell where he has added on to the house twice.

Frazod
12-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Holy crap. I guess we know what Little Bill's house in Unforgiven would have looked like had he lived to finish it. LMAO

ClevelandBronco
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Pretty safe assumption that it's not a covenant-controlled community. Turn this thing around and check out the view from his front porch.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D18&q=2226+overhill+rd,+oak+grove,+mo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87c117a6c27262a9:0x56fe430d32813e98,2226+Overhill+Rd,+Oak+Grove,+MO+64075&gl=us&sa=X&ei=q7zGUIXzBYiTqQH8nIGIAg&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAA

Bugeater
12-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Pretty safe assumption that it's not a covenant-controlled community. Turn this thing around and check out the view from his front porch.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D18&q=2226+overhill+rd,+oak+grove,+mo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87c117a6c27262a9:0x56fe430d32813e98,2226+Overhill+Rd,+Oak+Grove,+MO+64075&gl=us&sa=X&ei=q7zGUIXzBYiTqQH8nIGIAg&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAA
Sweet, a mobile home with a fireplace added on. I bet that is one of his designs.

nstygma
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
yeah that's in unincorporated Jackson county, not many regulations out there.

well, looks like the guy probably doesn't live there. the house foreclosed since that document was filed and has switched owners. look at the price difference: $120k to $25k!!

Sale History

1) Sale Date: 2006-03-23
Recorded Date: 2006-03-30
Type of Sale: AA (Valid Sale)
Grantor: LLOYD RUSTY & JENNIFER
Grantee: BROWN FLOYD C
Sale Price: $120,000.00
Document Number: 2006E0002906

2) Sale Date: 2009-10-20
Recorded Date: 2009-11-16
Type of Sale: NV (Not Valid-Multiple Reasons)
Grantor: BROWN FLOYD C
Grantee: US BANK NA AS TRUSTEE
Sale Price: $66,300.00
Document Number: 2009E0115591

3) Sale Date: 2010-04-16
Recorded Date: 2010-04-22
Type of Sale: NV (Not Valid-Multiple Reasons)
Grantor: US BANK NA AS TRUSTEE
Grantee: MCDONALD WILLIAM J & DOROTHY C TRUST
Sale Price: $25,500.00
Document Number: 2010E0038112

Lepht
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Got it already from the state website as well as a secondary in the same vicinity. He's advertised himself as licensed, but his business was dissolved according to robin carnahan. I'm going on a field trip tomorrow if my call isn't returned.

T-post Tom
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Track him down & taser him in the nutsack until he gives you the money.

Lepht
12-10-2012, 10:53 PM
The other address I have is 2302
Beach drive, oak grove mo

Phobia
12-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Hope you're willing to take meth instead of cash.

Prison Bitch
12-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Craigs has been great for me, lots of great experiences. My brother cut down so many limbs from my trees that my entire drive way was covered - literally - 5 feet high with debris. Some dude from Louisburg came with his 2 middle school boys. They worked the entire day. Then refused payment! I said no take $75 at least, so he sheepishly did. I think he wanted to teach his boys to work.

Anyway I did have a douchebag come by to paint my trim. QUoted me $500. D(cked around for parts of 3 days then demanded payment when he was about 1/3 done. I said, what is this? He said "Well I charge $30/hour and my hours are up. In fact I gave you 20 hours so it should be $600 but I'll cut you a break" We argued for about 45 min on my back deck and I finally gave him $375. And he was mad! I then hired college kids to finish it and they were great.

arrwheader
12-11-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm a banker and what you need to do is and I apologize if this was already said in the thread I'm not gonna read through it all you fucks anyways file the police report go to the bank with the case number fill out an affidavit for fraud they may reimburse you since the signature was actually forged all this depends on your bank and their fraud liability policies. If the signature was forged and he cashed the check at YOUR bank then the bank is partially responsible because the teller didn't check the signature fully. I also doubt you write many 2500 checks their should have been warning signs all over it. If he cashed it at his bank then they will have all his info

Prison Bitch
12-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Cops don't care about check fraud. I had a renter bounce a $1700 check to me. I called the cops and they said it was a personal issue and they don't get involved in rent disputes. I asked what check disputes they get into, they didn't really answer. I don't think they really care. Told me to go to small claims court.

Funny thing: a month later the state of Kansas is calling me asking for his phone #. Said he bounced $300 for his car tags. Wanted me to assist finding him. I suggested this wasn't really a criminal issue, and that the best course for them was to go to Small Claims court.....:)

arrwheader
12-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Hahaha nice but yea cops won't do shit you just need the case number for the bank to legally be able to do anything about it

HMc
12-11-2012, 01:46 AM
checks are so old school

crazycoffey
12-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Cops don't care about check fraud. I had a renter bounce a $1700 check to me. I called the cops and they said it was a personal issue and they don't get involved in rent disputes. I asked what check disputes they get into, they didn't really answer. I don't think they really care. Told me to go to small claims court.

Funny thing: a month later the state of Kansas is calling me asking for his phone #. Said he bounced $300 for his car tags. Wanted me to assist finding him. I suggested this wasn't really a criminal issue, and that the best course for them was to go to Small Claims court.....:)

rental issues are civil issues, cops can't do anything. this situation is close too, that makes it all the more frustrating. the forging his name makes it stand out as a criminal act.

memyselfI
12-11-2012, 07:22 AM

When my husband was a contractor, he did this with a repeat client who then focked him. Turned out she had a pattern of doing this to contractors. 25 years ago it was alot easier to pull of than it is now.

PGM
12-11-2012, 07:25 AM
He started a thread here looking for you herpateederp!!!

jspchief
12-11-2012, 07:32 AM
You aren't gonna get money from the guy. Your best bet is hoping your bank has some fraud protection.

And don't give advances to contractors. If they say they need materials, go to their supplier and pay for materials. But the reality is, good contractors will already have a line of credit with their supplier. If they weren't able to establish a good relationship with their supplier for credit, what does that say about how they operate their business?

Prison Bitch
12-11-2012, 08:48 AM
rental issues are civil issues, cops can't do anything. this situation is close too, that makes it all the more frustrating. the forging his name makes it stand out as a criminal act.

And yet, there was the STate of Kansas, trying to track down the fraudster when THEY got burnt by his bad checks. Seemed like bullsht that they could use all their resources (incl a cop who phoned me no less!) but I couldn't rely on the same despite being owed 6x the amount.

ChiefButthurt
12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Wow. Don't work with craigslist contractors. Call 816-665-1208 if you need help on your project.

How about if we all call you and ask you if your refrigerator is running?

Phobia
12-11-2012, 11:24 AM
How about if we all call you and ask you if your refrigerator is running?

Crank calls are $50.

Phobia
12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
You aren't gonna get money from the guy. Your best bet is hoping your bank has some fraud protection.

And don't give advances to contractors. If they say they need materials, go to their supplier and pay for materials. But the reality is, good contractors will already have a line of credit with their supplier. If they weren't able to establish a good relationship with their supplier for credit, what does that say about how they operate their business?

I have good credit with my suppliers but if I install $2k worth of material and then a client decides not to pay or that other bills are more important I'm left holding the bag. That's why I bill as we go. I'm waiting on $1800 from a project we completed in August for a friend. They decided to spend their money on some other family emergency and figured that since we were friends that I wouldn't mind waiting a few months. I don't always buy stuff from suppliers either. For example, I'm doing a $7k bathroom right now for a client who only has $4k. That means I have to buy his stuff from auctions, Habitat, or craigslist to find some bargains and compete the work when we have available holes in our schedule. I don't always work on half million dollar homes where clients have $20k sitting in their bank account to pay me. Sometimes I have to take risks with clients and no matter how well we know each other, I'm going to make every effort to cover my ass and let you cover your ass as well.

Old Dog
12-11-2012, 11:51 AM
On the bright side, you could probably get someone from craigslist to break his leg for $500.

Once again, why use craislist when you could likely find same on this very site and know the job would be done right?

memyselfI
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
And yet, there was the STate of Kansas, trying to track down the fraudster when THEY got burnt by his bad checks. Seemed like bullsht that they could use all their resources (incl a cop who phoned me no less!) but I couldn't rely on the same despite being owed 6x the amount.

Hopefully you seized this opportunity to say 'if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours...'

Saul Good
12-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Once again, why use craislist when you could likely find same on this very site and know the job would be done right?

...especially when you figure that everyone on this site is 6'4, 220 and runs a 4.45.

jettio
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
If you are in Missouri, the Attorney General has a very good consumer fraud division, which might be interested if there is reason to believe he has scammed enough people. You could report it rather easily with a phone call or go to the AG website.

burt
12-11-2012, 12:37 PM
...especially when you figure that everyone on this site is 6'4, 220 and runs a 4.45.

6'0....223......44.5......

kennyah123
05-18-2013, 08:26 AM
I think this guy has screwed me over too. I just gave him $800 to build a wrought iron fence several weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since. What ever happened with your situation? Please contact me, I'd like to get the MO Atty general involved in this matter.

Thig Lyfe
05-18-2013, 08:36 AM
I think this guy has screwed me over too. I just gave him $800 to build a wrought iron fence several weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since. What ever happened with your situation? Please contact me, I'd like to get the MO Atty general involved in this matter.

Before we can assist you, we need to know your opinion on Alex Smith.

3rd&48ers
05-18-2013, 09:19 AM
What kind of dumbass gives money to people out of the blue...

No money until the job is done...

KC Tattoo
05-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Hey I will help you out just send me a money order for the $800 my name is Cash. I will be right over..

ChiliConCarnage
05-18-2013, 09:30 AM

They never came back. I assume they went to look for him and he has them locked up in his basement for rape time.

It's amazing this guy can do this over and over.

Phobia
05-18-2013, 10:58 AM

What kind of dumbass will buy thousands of dollars of materials and spend weeks of labor without money up front? That knife cuts both ways.

Phobia
05-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Sorry you got screwed. Don't hire craigslist contractors.

Mr. Laz
05-18-2013, 11:02 AM
What kind of dumbass will buy thousands of dollars of materials and spend weeks of labor without money up front? That knife cuts both ways.

true ... but you know where they live, they can disappear.

Phobia
05-18-2013, 11:05 AM
true ... but you know where they live, they can disappear.

Every single one of my clients knows where my shop is and most of them got my number from a friend. I agree with the premise that you don't give a nickel to some idiot off the internet but if you want a big project done, you have to give money to a legitimate contractor or you won't be able to do business with him. I know where a couple of my clients live... One owes me $2k and another owes me over $15k. If they're not moving or selling anytime soon, I can't do anything about it.

boogblaster
05-18-2013, 11:06 AM
12 gauge pump ....

Mr. Laz
05-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Every single one of my clients knows where my shop is and most of them got my number from a friend. I agree with the premise that you don't give a nickel to some idiot off the internet but if you want a big project done, you have to give money to a legitimate contractor or you won't be able to do business with him. I know where a couple of my clients live... One owes me $2k and another owes me over $15k. If they're not moving or selling anytime soon, I can't do anything about it.
not really talking about you ... just in general.

3rd&48ers
05-18-2013, 11:10 AM

I will buy the supplies and sit them in my yard... You will be working for me, you will either do business my way or go work for someone else ... Savvy?

jspchief
05-18-2013, 11:11 AM

You have the protection of mechanics liens and court.

Obviously the scale of the job plays a big role, and money up front or draws are necessary at times. But do you really see yourself asking for money up front for either of the two jobs mentioned in this thread? $2500 of lumber or $800 of fencing?

As I said on my previous post in this thread, if the contractor asks for money for materials. Go to the supplier and buy the materials yourself.

3rd&48ers
05-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Obviously the scale of the job plays a big role, and money up front or draws are necessary at times. But do you really see yourself asking for money up front for either of the two jobs mentioned in this thread? $2500 of lumber or $800 of fencing?

As I said on my previous post in this thread, if the contractor asks for money for materials. Go to the supplier and buy the materials yourself.

BINGO... Unless they want to put a lien on the title to their truck or boat or whatever...

Phobia
05-18-2013, 11:12 AM
not really talking about you ... just in general.

I'm just saying that in general, a contractor has limited recourse if a client chooses not to pay him. He can take a lien out on their house and renew it every year until they die and the house is sold but who wants to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees chasing money they may or may not get 30 years down the road? I suppose a contractor could get violent or vindictive if that's the kind of person that they are but I'm not really willing to risk my freedom for any amount of money.

3rd&48ers
05-18-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm just saying that in general, a contractor has limited recourse if a client chooses not to pay him. He can take a lien out on their house and renew it every year until they die and the house is sold but who wants to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees chasing money they may or may not get 30 years down the road? I suppose a contractor could get violent or vindictive if that's the kind of person that they are but I'm not really willing to risk my freedom for any amount of money.

I know exactly where you are coming from... Brother in laws have been contractors for years... Pay as you go is a good practice ...

Phobia
05-18-2013, 11:17 AM

I doubt I'd be asking for money up front on an $800, one-day job. But I'd ask for money if I was spending a couple grand on materials and not going to finish the job for a couple weeks. That's fair. If my materials are sitting on a client's job site and either one of us gets hit by a bus, we are both protected if they're paid for and sitting on their property. I make sure my clients are comfortable with the money they've paid out and the progress of their job. If they go nuts and decide they're not paying, I don't want to get hurt and if I go nuts and ditch their job, I don't want them to get hurt either.

BigRedChief
05-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Posted via Mobile DeviceWe gave $1,200 to the guys doing work at our house. They would start the next day. But, we knew them and hired them because they had done a 3 month job across the street from our old house.

We are real happy with their work. We were definitely concerned that we didn't know someone and wish we would have Phobia to do it but its a new neighborhood.

But giving someone off craigslist without knowing them................They have committed two felonies. The police should take it seriously. You will get your money back if the catch them.

Phobia
05-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I will buy the supplies and sit them in my yard... You will be working for me, you will either do business my way or go work for someone else ... Savvy?

That's fine with me. But I'd say you're a very unique person. Most of my clients don't want anything to do with any of the process. They just want it to look like the picture when we're done and they don't care how it gets that way.

BigRedChief
05-18-2013, 11:25 AM
I know exactly where you are coming from... Brother in laws have been contractors for years... Pay as you go is a good practice ...Yeah they divided the project into 4 phases. They finish one phase and we pay them. Here thats standard down here for a project lasting more than a week or two.

3rd&48ers
05-18-2013, 11:27 AM
That's fine with me. But I'd say you're a very unique person. Most of my clients don't want anything to do with any of the process. They just want it to look like the picture when we're done and they don't care how it gets that way.

I have been fucked before (when I was young and dumb) .... Never again...

Also the job gets done a helluva lot faster when you are waiting to pay them.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the hard work of contractors and I will not nitpik on a dollar here or there..

I am not concerned with a well known contractor btw... If you have a good rep with my people, I will pay you up front...

These mofos were going around telling businesses they had extra asphalt left over and will fix their lot... sure they put an inch of asphalt on their lot, got paid and left then the first vehicle that drove over it peeled it up like a banana .... Scammers long gone...

3rd&48ers
05-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Yeah they divided the project into 4 phases. They finish one phase and we pay them. Here thats standard down here for a project lasting more than a week or two.

Yes sir.....

3rd&48ers
05-18-2013, 11:29 AM
sad part is the law is on the side of the customer...

A contractor can come in and do excellent work and still not get paid if the homeowner files bankruptcy ... The contractor can't even go back and undo what he done.

I see both sides

stevieray
05-18-2013, 12:46 PM

I've always received half down and balance upon completion.

....that said, I can see where there would be exceptions, depending on the job, etc.

DanT
05-18-2013, 12:55 PM
This.

Why even take the check if he has to come back to you to get it signed? He must be an idiot.

I would have told you to take your business elsewhere if you didn't want to put money down, though. Way to much liability on me if you back out.

Yeah, that's what I don't get, giving someone an unsigned check. If I were a judge and someone told me that they paid for something and then said that they paid for it with an unsigned check, my gut would tell me that they must have paid for something with a signed check and that the signature on the check is not fake. Of course, it's possible to get evidence from a handwriting expert to speak to whether the signature is forged.

jspchief
05-18-2013, 01:10 PM
sad part is the law is on the side of the customer...

A contractor can come in and do excellent work and still not get paid if the homeowner files bankruptcy ... The contractor can't even go back and undo what he done.

I see both sidesBankruptcy doesn't typically absolve lien holder's rights. Mechanics Lien's aren't ironclad, but it's a pretty reasonable protection for contractors.

If I needed a customer to pay for materials in advance, I would send them to my supplier with a order # and have them pay the supplier directly. That way at the very least they have the assurance of knowing that the money went to a tangible thing. If I flake out as a contractor, they at least have the materials on hand for the replacement they hire.

As for the risk contractors expose themselves to, it's the nature of the business. At the very least you should have a nose for customers that may be shady and act accordingly.

Halfcan
05-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Go to the poilice station and file a report. Then you can take that to your bank and have your money returned to you. They will most likely put a temporary deposit back in your account. You will have to sign some paperwork explaining your side of it. pics of the deck ect. wouldnt hurt your cause. The bank will investigate and then turn it over for bank fraud and file charges.

Not sure why you waited a month when you saw the check go through- but i wouldnt wait any longer.

If you still need work done PM Phobia. He does excellent work and has Many references including myself.

DanT
05-18-2013, 01:35 PM
I googled "unsigned check". Based on the results, it looks like giving someone an unsigned check is not all that unusual. Here's what one law firm has on their web page about them:

Unsigned Check
BY JAY AND ARTHUR WINSTON, WINSTON & WINSTON, P.C.

A check that is unsigned may be deposited by the recipient by endorsing on the reverse side of the check the payeeís signature and guaranteeing to the bank the signature of the maker of the check. When the check is presented to the makerís bank, the bank accepts the check and transfers the funds. The maker who receives the debit on the bank statement will not contact the bank since he or she believed the check was signed. The maker who did not sign the check deliberately will contact the bank which, in turn, will contact the depositorís bank and assert no signature. The bank will charge the depositorís account and the depositor will be in no worse or better position than if the check was returned to the maker for signature. The only expense incurred is the charge of the bank for returning the check.
If the unsigned check is returned by mail to the debtor for signature, the debtor may never sign the check and send it back to the creditor. Sometimes the debtor does not sign the check intentionally as a ploy to stall for time. For this reason, we recommend guaranteeing the signature and depositing the check, as described above.

Copyright © 2000, 2001 Winston & Winston P.C. All rights reserved.
Revised: July 29, 2003

DanT
05-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Here's what eHow said while answering the question "Can a Bank Process an Unsigned Check?":

Unsigned Checks
In many cases, a bank will process an unsigned check. They may require the bearer to write "Over" in the signature line, and "Lack of Signature Guaranteed" on the back, above the bearer's signature. Some banks may even process an unsigned check without verifying signature. If you wrote an unsigned check, which you didn't wish cashed, you must contact the bank immediately, typically within 30 days. In some cases, banks will not honor checks which have not been signed by the maker.

Read more: Can a Bank Process an Unsigned Check? | eHow http://www.ehow.com/facts_7639487_can-bank-process-unsigned-check.html#ixzz2Tftw2NhG

go bowe
05-18-2013, 04:54 PM

pshaww!

i'm 6'9", 330 lbs of pure muscle and run a 4.0 40!!

and 109 reps with the weights at the combine before i decided to be an nfl gm...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-18-2013, 04:56 PM
pshaww!

i'm 6'9", 330 lbs of pure muscle and run a 4.0 40!!

and 109 reps with the weights at the combine before i decided to be an nfl gm...

But, you're a known CP legend. We couldn't count you because you threw off the curve. :evil:

Sully
05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
If you still need work done PM Phobia. He does excellent work and has Many references including myself.

This
A few years back, someone close to me needed some work done relatively quickly, and relatively cheaply. I had heard enough about Phil on here that I got in contact with him. I had to explain that this person was very difficult to deal with, and what she needed done. He explained exactly what his plan was, and followed through. He knew which shortcuts would make the bill cheaper, but also look good.
I dropped out of the process after that, but in asking, I heard the job was done well, except for her typical bitching about everything in life.

Phobia
05-18-2013, 05:36 PM
This
A few years back, someone close to me needed some work done relatively quickly, and relatively cheaply. I had heard enough about Phil on here that I got in contact with him. I had to explain that this person was very difficult to deal with, and what she needed done. He explained exactly what his plan was, and followed through. He knew which shortcuts would make the bill cheaper, but also look good.
I dropped out of the process after that, but in asking, I heard the job was done well, except for her typical bitching about everything in life.

Thanks for the kind words. She was fine. She was just far too kind for her own good and got screwed by her tenants. I wish we could have fixed all that stuff perfectly but hopefully the lipstick we put on the pig helped it sell. That was a real mess for all of us.

Bob Dole
05-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Bob Dole had a project and it just went to shit after Phobia left.

And Bob Dole's wife got fat.

go bowe
05-18-2013, 06:42 PM
But, you're a known CP legend. We couldn't count you because you threw off the curve. :evil:

:LOL: have one on me :BLVD: :thumb:

go bowe
05-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Bob Dole had a project and it just went to shit after Phobia left.

And Bob Dole's wife got fat.

i didn't know bob dole had a wife...

oh wait, elizabeth something or other...

go bowe
05-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the kind words. She was fine. She was just far too kind for her own good and got screwed by her tenants. I wish we could have fixed all that stuff perfectly but hopefully the lipstick we put on the pig helped it sell. That was a real mess for all of us.

let me put in another good word...

phobia has dome relatively minor work for me but i would vouch for his work anytime...

one of the good guys out there, really...

bringbackmarty
05-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Phil's good people, does great work, he's a good boss too. Fun guy to be around while you work, easygoing, tells jokes, only an asshole when it's absolutely necessary, and he always keeps his word. Taught me more than a few things about light construction, decks, remodeling. Gives good advice to me whenever I need it. Plus he and CP hired me to play some jazz for a CP get together right when I moved back here in '05. Thanks Phil!
Edit - (to clarify: I worked for Phil on a couple of projects, not currently one of his employees)

Jewish Rabbi
05-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Can we get a mod to change the title to "Phobia bukkake thread"?

Phobia
05-18-2013, 09:05 PM
This should probably be stuck to the top of the forum for a few months too.

pkane
05-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Since the topic took a turn into stroking Phobia's ego, I'll join in. I heard about his work through CP and figured I give him a call to do some work at my house. He does very good work at an affordable price. I was pleased with what was done and referred him to my parents with similar results. I can't say a bad word about him. Definitely worth a call to get a quote or even to bounce ideas off to. He gave me a few ideas on things that I would not of thought of myself. Really knowledgeable about his line of work.

While we are out giving recommendations on people. If you are looking to buy or sell a house I couldn't give a big enough recommendation to doomy3. He works his ass off and keeps you updated with everything going on. Another guy really knowledgable in his line of work and very honest.

Phobia
05-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Phil's good people, does great work, he's a good boss too. Fun guy to be around while you work, easygoing, tells jokes, only an asshole when it's absolutely necessary, and he always keeps his word. Taught me more than a few things about light construction, decks, remodeling. Gives good advice to me whenever I need it. Plus he and CP hired me to play some jazz for a CP get together right when I moved back here in '05. Thanks Phil!
Edit - (to clarify: I worked for Phil on a couple of projects, not currently one of his employees)

Remember when we had like 8 guys on that one project named some iteration of "Mike"? Even the concrete truck driver was named Mike.

Dick Bull
05-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Phobia has rotten wood and his hammer doesn't work anymore.

:evil:

I had to break up the love fest.

KCSLC2008
05-19-2013, 12:56 AM

Synthesis2 does, pay attention. ;)

Buehler445
05-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Be careful if you provide too much. There is a tax form that the contractor can fill out saying that you should have have provided him W-2 Wages instead of a 1099. Then you're on the hook for his SE tax.

I don't know what the rules are though. But if you're providing everything, it sounds a lot like an employee than a contractor.

Prison Bitch
05-19-2013, 11:21 AM
This scam is becoming quite popular. I never, ever ever give money for materials. If the company can't float the money for materials they should not be in business.

Phobia
05-19-2013, 12:23 PM
This scam is becoming quite popular. I never, ever ever give money for materials. If the company can't float the money for materials they should not be in business.

Depends on how much for how long. Home Depot can afford to float the cost of materials but if you special order something, you pay for it in advance. There's no absolute answer on it. I've deviated from my policies to make a client comfortable. But the real answer is that you don't do business with random idiots you found on the internet. Get a referral from a friend or pick somebody you know to be local and established.

Prison Bitch
05-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Depends on how much for how long. Home Depot can afford to float the cost of materials but if you special order something, you pay for it in advance. There's no absolute answer on it. I've deviated from my policies to make a client comfortable. But the real answer is that you don't do business with random idiots you found on the internet. Get a referral from a friend or pick somebody you know to be local and established.

I've used Craigslist and it normally works out fairly well, you can screen people on their emails and their phone calls when you talk with them. Plus you can look up arrest records online if you want to.

I had a guy want money up front to paint my house, needed $500 for paint. I said, "Oh that's great! I have $200 in Home Depot gift cards and I can use them to go grab it today. When can you start?" One guy sulked on the phone saying he wasn't sure what his schedule was and that he'd have to call me back. Instantly I knew he was trying to scam.

bringbackmarty
05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Remember when we had like 8 guys on that one project named some iteration of "Mike"? Even the concrete truck driver was named Mike.
Yeah that was pretty funny. "Hey Mike." - four guys all say "what". Jim and Barbara's new house as I recall.
"G@# d*#$&^t Barbara!" I still say that while impersonating him when I'm joking with the wife.

Phobia
05-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I've used Craigslist and it normally works out fairly well, you can screen people on their emails and their phone calls when you talk with them. Plus you can look up arrest records online if you want to.

I had a guy want money up front to paint my house, needed $500 for paint. I said, "Oh that's great! I have $200 in Home Depot gift cards and I can use them to go grab it today. When can you start?" One guy sulked on the phone saying he wasn't sure what his schedule was and that he'd have to call me back. Instantly I knew he was trying to scam.

Heh. I wouldn't let somebody without a shingle paint my house. I've fixed dozens of craigslist contractor jobs. A craigslist painter is going to slap a board up over your wood rot instead of taking the time to cut it out and stop the problem. A craigslist contractor isn't trying to build a business because he's always going to have unlimited idiots on craigslist. I'm fixing a lady's house this week who paid $1500 to a craigslist guy a couple years back. She gets to spend about $7k instead of $3k like normal houses of her size because she hired an asshole who was more worried about getting paid than fixing her house the right way the first time.

Prison Bitch
05-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Well I wanted my deck powerwashed an several companies on Craig's gave me $3-500 quotes. On guy said $50. Brought it over, did it in an hour an it looks great.

gomer900
10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Hey all you guys that got ripped off by Mr. "Brown Can Do", I have good news for you! I got ripped off too and reported him to the police. They stuck him with felony theft and deceptive business practices. They issued a warrant for his arrest -- it took a few months but he eventually got picked up. Court is tomorrow!

I have accumulated A LOT of info on this scammer, so if you need any info to go after him, feel free to PM me.

Phobia
10-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Good job, Gomer.

Superturtle
10-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Hey all you guys that got ripped off by Mr. "Brown Can Do", I have good news for you! I got ripped off too and reported him to the police. They stuck him with felony theft and deceptive business practices. They issued a warrant for his arrest -- it took a few months but he eventually got picked up. Court is tomorrow!

I have accumulated A LOT of info on this scammer, so if you need any info to go after him, feel free to PM me.
Great job, Pyle! Looks like you're not a complete waste of shit after all!

Rain Man
10-14-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm sorry you got ripped off, but I'm glad the guy is being prosecuted. Nice work.

|Zach|
10-14-2013, 04:04 PM

LMAO

|Zach|
10-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Hope this ends well for some folks that have come on to this thread.

NewChief
10-14-2013, 04:12 PM

If I were dealing with a contractor who didn't have the operating capital to special order stuff, I think I'd do his special ordering for him.

"You need doohickey #4? Great, I'll cut Home Depot a check and have them order it for you. If you want to tack on a contractor fee next draw to that then that's fine, but I'll place the order."

Phobia
10-14-2013, 04:27 PM
If I were dealing with a contractor who didn't have the operating capital to special order stuff, I think I'd do his special ordering for him.

"You need doohickey #4? Great, I'll cut Home Depot a check and have them order it for you. If you want to tack on a contractor fee next draw to that then that's fine, but I'll place the order."

Yeah - whatever is needed to make all parties comfortable on a transaction. I have operating capital variances throughout the year. My cash flow is gonna be a little tight in the winter though. Tough times.

NewChief
10-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Yeah - whatever is needed to make all parties comfortable on a transaction. I have operating capital variances throughout the year. My cash flow is gonna be a little tight in the winter though. Tough times.

We are the opposite. Summer was tight. Though cash flow can be an issue because of the amount of product turnover and volume of orders to vendors.

Phobia
10-14-2013, 04:41 PM
I get jacked up when I do insurance work. Some of them take a little while to pay.

jspchief
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
I get jacked up when I do insurance work. Some of them take a little while to pay.

Yeah. Insurance companies are a pain in the ass. And half the time the customer thinks you should want to "work out a deal" as if insurance companies are suckers that overpay.

Simply Red
10-14-2013, 04:53 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/wbdzy1.gif

JASONSAUTO
10-14-2013, 04:59 PM

This
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
10-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah. Insurance companies are a pain in the ass. And half the time the customer thinks you should want to "work out a deal" as if insurance companies are suckers that overpay.
And this

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device