PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bill Polian rumors start

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
ROFL

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Friday-Buzz-6686.html

*Look for former Colts executive Bill Polian to get back into the league after the season.

The grapevine says the Chiefs are the frontrunners for his services, should they part ways with Scott Pioli. Polian got his NFL start in Kansas City as a pro scout in 1978, so it would be fitting if he ended his career there. Getting back in the league will allow Polian to bring along son Chris Polian and give his career a boost.

The younger Polian became an area scout with the Falcons after being fired as general manager of the Colts. This time around though, look for Bill Polian’s role to be all football. He no longer wants to be involved in all aspects of an organization.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Depends who we hire as coach for me to hate the hiring of Polian.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Id be ok with it. At least you know he would take a 1st round QB.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Mecca would be happy.

Bowser
12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Depends who we hire as coach for me to hate the hiring of Polian.

If it does turn out to be Polian as GM, do our chances of getting a retread coach go up or down?

Molitoth
Yup. All depends on the coach.
The good thing about it is that Polian KNOWS the importance of the QB position.

Ace Gunner
Marvelous:D

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/uploadedimages/levy-06-04-09.jpg

nychief
12-07-2012, 01:10 PM
we'll have Polian and Mike Sherman... watch.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:11 PM
He will be 70 next year.

Soooo, yeah.

Not as much of a concern if he was HC obviously but, still a concern to me.

Ace Gunner
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
He will be 70 next year.

Soooo, yeah.

Not as much of a concern if he was HC obviously but, still a concern to me.

actually your concern should be anger management classes to prevent you from hurting folks after Piholi & RAC(!) draft Jarvis Jones:D

Deberg_1990
12-07-2012, 01:14 PM
If it does turn out to be Polian as GM, do our chances of getting a retread coach go up or down?

Welcome Dom Capers to KC!

Chief_For_Life58
12-07-2012, 01:14 PM
hopefully pioli and polian belcher themselves together so we can get someone better. polian and his son left the colts a big pile of dog sh#t

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Well I believe everywhere he's coached he's hired a retread.

chiefzilla1501
12-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Barf.

We go from a regime that idiotically believes we can win without a QB to a regime that believes they can with only a QB.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Barf.

We go from a regime that idiotically believes we can win without a QB to a regime that believes they can with only a QB.

Yeah that's not entirely true. See the Bills and Panthers.

Besides, the Colts had a very good offensive line, great receivers and an offense built to play with a lead during Manning's prime. It wasn't all him.

Flame away...we could do worse, that's for sure.

ptlyon
Sounds too much like Piloli for my taste

Chief_For_Life58
saying that, id still be down with polian he knows the nfl overall. hes no fraud

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Well I believe everywhere he's coached he's hired a retread.

How many of them were 2nd or 3rd-time coaches that hadn't won a Super Bowl?

Look, if you're playing the percentages, that that is EXACTLY the kind of coach you want.

The Buffalo Bills were Marv's 2nd job and he took them to the Super Bowl.

The Colts were Dungy's 2nd job and he took them to the Super Bowl.

Is that not what we want?

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-07-2012, 01:20 PM

Look, if you're playing the percentages, that that is EXACTLY the kind of coach you want.

So Haley is going to take us to the Superbowl! Sa-weeeet!

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:21 PM

This is why I keep pounding the desk for Andy Reid.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 01:23 PM

I'm not fired up for Reid but I wouldn't argue against it, either.

I am a big believer in historical trends, that is all.

Lex Luthor
12-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Sounds too much like Piloli for my taste
Exactly.

Bill Polian Was Fired Because Jim Irsay Wanted His Team Back

By Brad Wells on Jan 3, 11:37a

Why did Jim Irsay fire his longtime top personnel executive and friend Bill Polian? The truth is the Colts owner wanted control of his franchise back. It's really just that simple.

I've never had to fire someone under my employment for 14 years. I've never had to tell a friend I've known for 30 years that, sorry, we just can't hang out in public together anymore. I've also never had to fire the son of my friend of 30 years, a son I've likely watched grow up right before my eyes.

On Monday, to the shock of many in the NFL, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay did all those things, firing his longtime friend and team personnel executive, Bill Polian. Also sent packing was Polian's eldest son, Colts general manager Chris Polian.

Black Monday in the NFL is the Monday after the regular season finale, and the day is often reserved for teams and owners that wish to make changes within their organization as quickly as possible. This year, Black Monday began with two coaching terminations that many expected: Steve Spanuolo in St. Louis and Raheem Morris in Tampa Bay.

RELATED: The Colts Are Now Free To Move On From Peyton Manning
Then, the news started trickling out of Indianapolis' West 56th Street complex that there would be "significant change" within the Colts organization.

For people wired into the team, the general feeling was something would happen in Indianapolis on Black Monday, but no one could agree on what. What folks did agree on was that the futures of Bill Polian, Chris Polian, and head coach Jim Caldwell were tenuous in Indianapolis, with Caldwell being the most likely to get served his walking papers on Monday.

By the end of the day, it was Bill and Chris who were shown the door rather unceremoniously, leaving Jim Caldwell amazingly still employed by the Colts as the head coach.

Why? Why did Jim Irsay fire his longtime chief personnel executive and friend? Why did he seemingly dump the man who resurrected his franchise from the bowels of irrelevancy in 1998 and transformed it into a pillar of the NFL? Was it because the Colts just had a bad year? Had Irsay gotten so spoiled by nine straight years of playoff appearances that one 2-14 season was enough to make him go all Dan Synder on Polian?

The truth is Jim Irsay wanted control of his franchise back. It's really just that simple.

For 14 years, the executive-type that was most frequently associated with the Colts was Bill Polian, a man defined by genius-level gifts of intellect and gargoyle-level fits of paranoid megalomania, all at once. Polian was both respected and loathed in league circles. Everyone praised his draft record and the fact that he helped rebuild not one, not two, but THREE NFL franchises.

Everyone also rolled their eyes and sighed whenever they had to talk about "that time" they had to deal with Polian face-to-face.

All throughout his career, Bill Polian had a less than fuzzy relationship with the media, especially if they were local press wired into the team. Polian was obsessed with information control, and in the modern age of Twitter, Facebook, and websites like this one, being a freak about every little word uttered by anyone within your organization is a recipe for disaster. For Polian, he saw new communications technology, and the local media in general, as a threat to himself and his team.

Literally, a threat.

There are famous stories of him once telling the Buffalo media (back when he was the G.M. there) that if they didn't like the way he did things, they could get the hell out of the building. Seriously, a man working in a small market like Buffalo was actually so pissed off at their tiny media there that he wanted them kicked out of the building.

In Indianapolis, the stories were similar. Local media often spoke with me about Polian refusing to even speak with the Colts beat writer who worked for the only major newspaper in Indianapolis, The Indianapolis Star. This beat writer had covered the Colts since their move from Baltimore in 1984. For Polian, the writer was apparently to low-brow for his tastes. Polian refused to speak to the Star's columnist or even its featured online blogger. Polian would, however, talk to any one of his national media buddies, such as Chris Mortensen of ESPN (who broke the story yesterday of Polian's firing), S.I.'s Peter King, or anyone he was chummy with in major media outlets.

To Polian, these men weren't a threat because, unlike the local beat writers, they didn't track and follow his everyday nonsense around the Colts complex. They didn't know the times he publicly berated employees of the team for seemingly no reason at all. They weren't affected, as the beat writers often were, when Polian routinely blocked assistant coaches from speaking to the media. They weren't wired into his crass and belligerent behavior towards fans, often insulting them on his weekly call-in radio show.

Seriously, if you want to know just want kind of a crazy control freak Bill Polian was, the man had his own call-in radio show every Monday night after a game. He wanted to be the singlular voice for the team. Not his coach. Not his superstar, laser rocket-armed quarterback from Tennessee.

Him. And him alone.

And then there was Chris Polian, a man who rapidly ascended to the role of team general manager for reasons that many found baffling. Other than the fact that his last name was Polian, there was nothing about Chris that seemed ideally suited to take on the responsibilities of running a franchise. If anything, Chris was viewed as a toxic force within the organization, a person pressed upon people by his overbearing and odious father. It was Chris Polian who reportedly pushed several longtime, assistant coaches, scouts, and high-ranking personnel people out the door in Indianapolis, replacing them with friends and other trusted colleagues.

This had an affect on the team's draft performance in recent years. The Colts haven't had a hit in the first round since Jospeh Addai in 2006.

The true downfall of the Polians started then, and that downfall turned into an avalanche after the way they handled the now-infamous benching of starters during a Week 16 home game in 2009 against the New York Jets. The Colts were 14-0 at that time, and had sent out many mixed signals to fans and their own players about whether or not the team would go for a perfect season. Midway through the third quarter, Peyton Manning and several offensive players were pulled from the game. The Colts lost the lead, and a visibly frustrated Manning, his helmet still on, was often seen begging head coach Jim Caldwell and then-offensive coordinator Tom Moore to let him back in the game. Both said no. Both had gotten their marching orders from the Polians.

The crowd rained booes down on the Colts in their home stadium that day. Afterwards, on his Monday call-in radio show, Polian was confronted, live and on-air, by several angry fans determined to rip him a new one. One caller, a woman, berated Polian for the decision, especially considering how many fans had gotten tickets to that game as Christmas gifts.

Polian responded by questioning the woman's authenticity, suggesting she was either not a real fan, or a reporter pretending to be one.

Polian's attacks on fans that night made national news due, in some way, to people like me who listened to the show on the Internet and posted highlights of the program the day of. The day after the radio show fiasco, Bill Polian ordered the local station that streamed his call-in show to pull it from the website. Only local people in Indianapolis with local, standard radios were now allowed to hear him talk, not outsiders. I remember speaking with the then head of the radio station in Indianapolis, asking him why Polian had done this.

"He's just kind of a crappy boss," the station manager said.

Polian's meltdown that night on the radio mirrored other meltdowns he'd been a part of, such as his famous verbal freakout in 2001 on a radio show in Indianapolis that featured guest comedian Jay Mohr. This past year, Polian called Indianapolis Star columnist Bob Kravitz a "rat" after Kravitz wrote an article critical of both Bill and Chris.

Related: NFL Power Rankings | SI.com: Playoffs Primer | NFL Playoffs Schedule
Polian also seemed to have personal feuds and grudges against specific players. He made sure that his first round pick in 2007, wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez, was buried deep on the bench all season. No one knows the real reason why, but it's safe to assume it was because Gonalez was more vocal than others when it came to voicing his disapproval on things. Polian publicly chastised his punter, Pat McAfee, for not being better at directional punting. At the time, the rest of Bill's team was 0-13!

When you add all these up, Bill Polian's great record as a talent evaluator and his skill at roster building didn't justify keeping him when weighed against all the negativity the mere mention of his name would generate. Fans and media had taken to calling him NaPolian. For Jim, enough was probably enough.

At his press conference Monday, Irsay started off by conveying that things had run their course in Indy with the Polians, and that after 14 years, it was time for change:

"We’re moving in a different direction in regards to Bill and Chris Polian. It was a very tough decision for me. This is the tough part of this business. There is always a great loyalty in this business. It was time, it was the right decision to make. Fourteen years is a long time in this league. It’s an intuitive decision. A lot goes into it. This was a tough decision, and I made the decision this morning."

It's worth noting that, after 45 minutes of talking to reporters, and another 20 minutes as the featured guest on what would have been Bill Polian's regular Monday call-in radio show, Jim Irsay did not say one positive thing about Chris Polian.

He gushed about Bill.

Praised and talked-up Caldwell.

He even said encouraging words about Colts director of player personnel Tom Telesco, who was retained.

Nothing about Chris Polian.

In the end, Monday's firing was all about Irsay, not the Polians. Throughout the league, the perception had been growing that it was not Irsay who controlled the Colts. It was the Polians. This was best evidenced by how Chris Polian was thrust upon everyone within the organization, and how Chris used his new power to make some rather sweeping changes in 2011. He fired a longtime Irsay confidante in Clyde Powers, a man who'd worked in the Colts front office for more than 30 years. Chris Polian replaced Powers with his brother, Dennis Polian.

Chris demoted another longtime Irsay friend, public relations director Craig Kelley. Kelley was replaced by a friend of Chris Polian's, Avis Roper. Roper and the Polians worked together in Carolina back in the '90s.

It's long been speculated that Chris pushed coaches like offensive coordinator Tom Moore, running backs coach Gene Huey, and offensive line coach Howard Mudd out the door, replacing them with coaches that were more inclined to shut up and do what they are told.

These moves, coupled with a 2-14 regular season that saw the front office bungle all sorts of roster decisions (specifically at quarterback), compelled Irsay to take his team back. Adam Schefter of ESPN said as much when asked on SportsCenter, "Why were the Polians fired?" Schefter, a man who made a name for himself covering the Denver Broncos in the '80s and '90s, equated the moves to owner Pat Bowlen firing head coach Dan Reeves in 1991 after 14 years. When asked why he fired Reeves, Bowlen said, "I just wanted my team back."

Now, Jim Irsay has his team back. He also has the No. 1 overall pick which, if you were able to read through Irsay's language Monday, you'd know will be Stanford's Andrew Luck. Irsay said repeatedly that the pillars of a franchise were quarterback, head coach, and general manager. With the health of Peyton Manning still very much in question, the QB pillar is one Irsay, and Irsay himself, seems to want to address.

It's worth noting that, despite all the negative stories associated with Bill and Chris Polian, both men did great things for the Colts franchise and the NFL in general. Bill especially. Those achievements cannot, and should not, be ignored simply because they were jerks to the people they worked with. But, as Irsay stated, 14 years is a long time. Things had run their course.

And Jim Irsay simply wanted to take his team back and lead it into a new era.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/3/2678834/bill-polian-fired-jim-irsay-peyton-manning-colts

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 01:25 PM
First of all, lose the fucking hot pink font, Jesus H Christ!

Second, that was enough to put me in the "hell naw" camp.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2012, 01:26 PM

So we should keep Romeo then?

Frankie
12-07-2012, 01:27 PM
ROFL

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Friday-Buzz-6686.html

I'm a little weary of this choice. And here are the reasons why:

1- Pioli's resume? Tom Brady. Polians resume? (pretty much) Peyton Manning. I'm not sure I want a GM whose reputation was built on one all world QB.

2- He's older and if successful will probably retire fairly soon anyway. I'm more excited about younger guys like, Eric DeCosta, Tom Gamble, and Marc Ross who can bring long term stability to the Chiefs.

3- he also has a reputation of running a despotic FO not unlike Pioli. I read something about it recently and the article pictured him as unpopular with his employees. FO controversies was pretty much the theme of this article. Don't want any more of that shit.

4- Last but not least: His name shares too many letters with Pioli. ;)

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Depends on who that guy is.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 01:30 PM

No.

Every coach he has had a previous HC job isn't a retread, that's my point.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Depends on who that guy is.

Of course it does.

You're not going to go out and hire Mike Tice, just because it would be his 2nd HC job.

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Exactly.

Bill Polian Was Fired Because Jim Irsay Wanted His Team Back

By Brad Wells on Jan 3, 11:37a

Why did Jim Irsay fire his longtime top personnel executive and friend Bill Polian? The truth is the Colts owner wanted control of his franchise back. It's really just that simple.

I've never had to fire someone under my employment for 14 years. I've never had to tell a friend I've known for 30 years that, sorry, we just can't hang out in public together anymore. I've also never had to fire the son of my friend of 30 years, a son I've likely watched grow up right before my eyes.

On Monday, to the shock of many in the NFL, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay did all those things, firing his longtime friend and team personnel executive, Bill Polian. Also sent packing was Polian's eldest son, Colts general manager Chris Polian.

Black Monday in the NFL is the Monday after the regular season finale, and the day is often reserved for teams and owners that wish to make changes within their organization as quickly as possible. This year, Black Monday began with two coaching terminations that many expected: Steve Spanuolo in St. Louis and Raheem Morris in Tampa Bay.

RELATED: The Colts Are Now Free To Move On From Peyton Manning
Then, the news started trickling out of Indianapolis' West 56th Street complex that there would be "significant change" within the Colts organization.

For people wired into the team, the general feeling was something would happen in Indianapolis on Black Monday, but no one could agree on what. What folks did agree on was that the futures of Bill Polian, Chris Polian, and head coach Jim Caldwell were tenuous in Indianapolis, with Caldwell being the most likely to get served his walking papers on Monday.

By the end of the day, it was Bill and Chris who were shown the door rather unceremoniously, leaving Jim Caldwell amazingly still employed by the Colts as the head coach.

Why? Why did Jim Irsay fire his longtime chief personnel executive and friend? Why did he seemingly dump the man who resurrected his franchise from the bowels of irrelevancy in 1998 and transformed it into a pillar of the NFL? Was it because the Colts just had a bad year? Had Irsay gotten so spoiled by nine straight years of playoff appearances that one 2-14 season was enough to make him go all Dan Synder on Polian?

The truth is Jim Irsay wanted control of his franchise back. It's really just that simple.

For 14 years, the executive-type that was most frequently associated with the Colts was Bill Polian, a man defined by genius-level gifts of intellect and gargoyle-level fits of paranoid megalomania, all at once. Polian was both respected and loathed in league circles. Everyone praised his draft record and the fact that he helped rebuild not one, not two, but THREE NFL franchises.

Everyone also rolled their eyes and sighed whenever they had to talk about "that time" they had to deal with Polian face-to-face.

All throughout his career, Bill Polian had a less than fuzzy relationship with the media, especially if they were local press wired into the team. Polian was obsessed with information control, and in the modern age of Twitter, Facebook, and websites like this one, being a freak about every little word uttered by anyone within your organization is a recipe for disaster. For Polian, he saw new communications technology, and the local media in general, as a threat to himself and his team.

Literally, a threat.

There are famous stories of him once telling the Buffalo media (back when he was the G.M. there) that if they didn't like the way he did things, they could get the hell out of the building. Seriously, a man working in a small market like Buffalo was actually so pissed off at their tiny media there that he wanted them kicked out of the building.

In Indianapolis, the stories were similar. Local media often spoke with me about Polian refusing to even speak with the Colts beat writer who worked for the only major newspaper in Indianapolis, The Indianapolis Star. This beat writer had covered the Colts since their move from Baltimore in 1984. For Polian, the writer was apparently to low-brow for his tastes. Polian refused to speak to the Star's columnist or even its featured online blogger. Polian would, however, talk to any one of his national media buddies, such as Chris Mortensen of ESPN (who broke the story yesterday of Polian's firing), S.I.'s Peter King, or anyone he was chummy with in major media outlets.

To Polian, these men weren't a threat because, unlike the local beat writers, they didn't track and follow his everyday nonsense around the Colts complex. They didn't know the times he publicly berated employees of the team for seemingly no reason at all. They weren't affected, as the beat writers often were, when Polian routinely blocked assistant coaches from speaking to the media. They weren't wired into his crass and belligerent behavior towards fans, often insulting them on his weekly call-in radio show.

Seriously, if you want to know just want kind of a crazy control freak Bill Polian was, the man had his own call-in radio show every Monday night after a game. He wanted to be the singlular voice for the team. Not his coach. Not his superstar, laser rocket-armed quarterback from Tennessee.

Him. And him alone.

And then there was Chris Polian, a man who rapidly ascended to the role of team general manager for reasons that many found baffling. Other than the fact that his last name was Polian, there was nothing about Chris that seemed ideally suited to take on the responsibilities of running a franchise. If anything, Chris was viewed as a toxic force within the organization, a person pressed upon people by his overbearing and odious father. It was Chris Polian who reportedly pushed several longtime, assistant coaches, scouts, and high-ranking personnel people out the door in Indianapolis, replacing them with friends and other trusted colleagues.

This had an affect on the team's draft performance in recent years. The Colts haven't had a hit in the first round since Jospeh Addai in 2006.

The true downfall of the Polians started then, and that downfall turned into an avalanche after the way they handled the now-infamous benching of starters during a Week 16 home game in 2009 against the New York Jets. The Colts were 14-0 at that time, and had sent out many mixed signals to fans and their own players about whether or not the team would go for a perfect season. Midway through the third quarter, Peyton Manning and several offensive players were pulled from the game. The Colts lost the lead, and a visibly frustrated Manning, his helmet still on, was often seen begging head coach Jim Caldwell and then-offensive coordinator Tom Moore to let him back in the game. Both said no. Both had gotten their marching orders from the Polians.

The crowd rained booes down on the Colts in their home stadium that day. Afterwards, on his Monday call-in radio show, Polian was confronted, live and on-air, by several angry fans determined to rip him a new one. One caller, a woman, berated Polian for the decision, especially considering how many fans had gotten tickets to that game as Christmas gifts.

Polian responded by questioning the woman's authenticity, suggesting she was either not a real fan, or a reporter pretending to be one.

Polian's attacks on fans that night made national news due, in some way, to people like me who listened to the show on the Internet and posted highlights of the program the day of. The day after the radio show fiasco, Bill Polian ordered the local station that streamed his call-in show to pull it from the website. Only local people in Indianapolis with local, standard radios were now allowed to hear him talk, not outsiders. I remember speaking with the then head of the radio station in Indianapolis, asking him why Polian had done this.

"He's just kind of a crappy boss," the station manager said.

Polian's meltdown that night on the radio mirrored other meltdowns he'd been a part of, such as his famous verbal freakout in 2001 on a radio show in Indianapolis that featured guest comedian Jay Mohr. This past year, Polian called Indianapolis Star columnist Bob Kravitz a "rat" after Kravitz wrote an article critical of both Bill and Chris.

Related: NFL Power Rankings | SI.com: Playoffs Primer | NFL Playoffs Schedule
Polian also seemed to have personal feuds and grudges against specific players. He made sure that his first round pick in 2007, wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez, was buried deep on the bench all season. No one knows the real reason why, but it's safe to assume it was because Gonalez was more vocal than others when it came to voicing his disapproval on things. Polian publicly chastised his punter, Pat McAfee, for not being better at directional punting. At the time, the rest of Bill's team was 0-13!

When you add all these up, Bill Polian's great record as a talent evaluator and his skill at roster building didn't justify keeping him when weighed against all the negativity the mere mention of his name would generate. Fans and media had taken to calling him NaPolian. For Jim, enough was probably enough.

At his press conference Monday, Irsay started off by conveying that things had run their course in Indy with the Polians, and that after 14 years, it was time for change:

"We’re moving in a different direction in regards to Bill and Chris Polian. It was a very tough decision for me. This is the tough part of this business. There is always a great loyalty in this business. It was time, it was the right decision to make. Fourteen years is a long time in this league. It’s an intuitive decision. A lot goes into it. This was a tough decision, and I made the decision this morning."

It's worth noting that, after 45 minutes of talking to reporters, and another 20 minutes as the featured guest on what would have been Bill Polian's regular Monday call-in radio show, Jim Irsay did not say one positive thing about Chris Polian.

He gushed about Bill.

Praised and talked-up Caldwell.

He even said encouraging words about Colts director of player personnel Tom Telesco, who was retained.

Nothing about Chris Polian.

In the end, Monday's firing was all about Irsay, not the Polians. Throughout the league, the perception had been growing that it was not Irsay who controlled the Colts. It was the Polians. This was best evidenced by how Chris Polian was thrust upon everyone within the organization, and how Chris used his new power to make some rather sweeping changes in 2011. He fired a longtime Irsay confidante in Clyde Powers, a man who'd worked in the Colts front office for more than 30 years. Chris Polian replaced Powers with his brother, Dennis Polian.

Chris demoted another longtime Irsay friend, public relations director Craig Kelley. Kelley was replaced by a friend of Chris Polian's, Avis Roper. Roper and the Polians worked together in Carolina back in the '90s.

It's long been speculated that Chris pushed coaches like offensive coordinator Tom Moore, running backs coach Gene Huey, and offensive line coach Howard Mudd out the door, replacing them with coaches that were more inclined to shut up and do what they are told.

These moves, coupled with a 2-14 regular season that saw the front office bungle all sorts of roster decisions (specifically at quarterback), compelled Irsay to take his team back. Adam Schefter of ESPN said as much when asked on SportsCenter, "Why were the Polians fired?" Schefter, a man who made a name for himself covering the Denver Broncos in the '80s and '90s, equated the moves to owner Pat Bowlen firing head coach Dan Reeves in 1991 after 14 years. When asked why he fired Reeves, Bowlen said, "I just wanted my team back."

Now, Jim Irsay has his team back. He also has the No. 1 overall pick which, if you were able to read through Irsay's language Monday, you'd know will be Stanford's Andrew Luck. Irsay said repeatedly that the pillars of a franchise were quarterback, head coach, and general manager. With the health of Peyton Manning still very much in question, the QB pillar is one Irsay, and Irsay himself, seems to want to address.

It's worth noting that, despite all the negative stories associated with Bill and Chris Polian, both men did great things for the Colts franchise and the NFL in general. Bill especially. Those achievements cannot, and should not, be ignored simply because they were jerks to the people they worked with. But, as Irsay stated, 14 years is a long time. Things had run their course.

And Jim Irsay simply wanted to take his team back and lead it into a new era.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/3/2678834/bill-polian-fired-jim-irsay-peyton-manning-coltsWhat's with the gay-looking fuchsia? :)

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Of course it does.

You're not going to go out and hire Mike Tice, just because it would be his 2nd HC job.

Well then give me some names? Andy Reid? I think he needs atleast a year off.

Billick? He's been out of the game for awhile i'm wondering if theres a reason why.

Cowher? I'd take him.

Bump
12-07-2012, 01:35 PM
gonna go with no.

It sounds too much like Pioli. Polian, Pioli. That's just too close for comfort.

DaWolf
12-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Polian would be a huge mistake...

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Anyway, F Bill Polian.

The best part of this is it's the first national indication that Pioli is done.

Sounds good to me.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:41 PM

No, the idea is to go get a guy who's been a success somewhere else but hasn't won it all.

That perfectly describes:

Coughlin
Dungy
Gruden
Vermeil
Shula

htismaqe

Billick? He's been out of the game for awhile i'm wondering if theres a reason why.

Cowher? I'd take him.

Billick and Cowher have both won Super Bowls, there's a reason they're comfortable as analysts.

I think Hue Jackson deserves another shot at some point. He's a strong offensive mind and was unfairly treated in Oakland (who isn't?).

I don't really know the story with Raheem Morris. The Bucs were as good 2 years ago as they are this year. I don't think he flamed out, ala Haley, as much as the team wanted Schiano that badly.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

BigMeatballDave

Cowher? I'd take him.You contradicted yourself here.

GoChargers
Barf.

This. Having suffered through the years of horrible drafting and cheap quick-fixes from Polian's former right-hand man AJ Smith, it's pretty clear to me that any GM who doesn't really invest in the trenches (especially the O-line) will only create losing and mediocrity.

I'm not trying to hate or anything, I actually want the Chiefs to get better, because frankly, I'm tired of the AFC West being a joke. But Polian is not the best choice IMO.

Ace Gunner
Anyway, F Bill Polian.

The best part of this is it's the first national indication that Pioli is done.

Sounds good to me.

so you got a national "if" and that means Clark is gonna pull the trigger.

Fansy the Famous Bard
12-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Of course it does.

Haley :)

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:45 PM
so you got a national "if" and that means Clark is gonna pull the trigger.

AIDS, catch the fever.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 01:46 PM
You contradicted yourself here.

?

Brock
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Definitely not a favorite of mine.

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2012, 01:48 PM
?

Cowher has been out of coaching longer than Billick, yet you'd take Cowher.

Brock
12-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Good grief. First Jeff Fisher, now Andy Reid. You're terrible.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:52 PM

For all you know Andy Reid is the next Tom Coughlin.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Cowher has been out of coaching longer than Billick, yet you'd take Cowher.

Yes and so would 32 franchises.

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2012, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't hate Reid.

Certainly not one of my favorites.

Sorter
12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Ok w/ Reid.

Not okay with Polian. Yuck.

Brock

For all you know Andy Reid is the current Andy Reid.

Hammock Parties
Why is everyone so against the greatest GM of all time?

Just prepare yourself, because Clark might want to go with a safe play.

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes and so would 32 franchises.You said: He's been out of the game for awhile i'm wondering if theres a reason why. Yet, Cowher has been out longer.

GoChargers
12-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Andy Reid is the fat Norv Turner.

Sorter
12-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Why is everyone so against the greatest GM of all time?

Just prepare yourself, because Clark might want to go with a safe play.

Why?

Because on all accounts he treats people that work on staff and the media worse than Pioli ever could imagine.

He also is clearly a fan of nepotism and hiring under-qualified cronies.

Yes, I like some of his draft picks. Doesn't mean I would want him as a GM. He seems like a complete prick.

I'd like to see us find our own Grigson/Pagano (minus leukemia)

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Why?

Because on all accounts he treats people that work on staff and the media worse than Pioli ever could imagine.

I don't care if he's a dickbag.

He knows football.

If he's hired it won't be the end of the world.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Bill Cowher's picture is in the dictionary next to the word "retread".

GoChargers

You might not but players and agents do.

htismaqe
Why?

He also is clearly a fan of nepotism and hiring under-qualified cronies.

Yes, I like some of his draft picks. Doesn't mean I would want him as a GM. He seems like a complete prick.

Yep. This.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 02:01 PM
You said: Yet, Cowher has been out longer.

Yes Cowher has been out of the league longer by choice. Can you name a team where Billick was the leading candidate for the job?

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Yes Cowher has been out of the league longer by choice. Can you name a team where Billick was the leading candidate for the job?

No clue. For all we know, Billick is also out by choice.

mcaj22
12-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Why?

yea it is called Bruce Arians/whoever the ****. done deal

Sorter
12-07-2012, 02:07 PM

He knows football.

If he's hired it won't be the end of the world.

Don't care about the 2nd part? ROFL

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
You know i'm not 100% sold on Arians yet. He has the best rookie QB maybe ever, a team playing on emotion, and a pretty easy schedule.

mcaj22
12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
bill polian is 70

that means hes trying to get back on a NFL team gullible enough to hire him for like 2 or 3 years max so he can groom his rat pack under qualified idiot son to take over his spot

that's essentially what is. and i certainly dont want his kid being anywhere near my Chiefs.

Brock
12-07-2012, 02:09 PM
bill polian is 70

that means hes trying to get back on a NFL team gullible enough to hire him for like 2 or 3 years max so he can groom his rat pack under qualified idiot son to take over his spot

that's essentially what is. and i certainly dont want his kid being anywhere near my Chiefs.

Me either.

mcaj22
12-07-2012, 02:09 PM
You know i'm not 100% sold on Arians yet. He has the best rookie QB maybe ever, a team playing on emotion, and a pretty easy schedule.

he also had Peyton Manning as a rookie, Tim Couch, Big Ben, etc

so lets not act like Andrew Luck is the guys first rodeo.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 02:12 PM
bill polian is 70

Sure looks that way.

Cephalic Trauma
12-07-2012, 02:13 PM
BENCH BARKLEY FIRE POLIAN SOC.COM

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 02:14 PM
bill polian is 70

That's fair.

Everyone wants to ride that NFL gravy train as long as possible.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 02:14 PM
he also had Peyton Manning as a rookie, Tim Couch, Big Ben, etc

so lets not act like Andrew Luck is the guys first rodeo.

Manning threw 28 picks his rookie year, Tim Couch sucked, and he was the WR coach when Big Ben first got to Pittsburgh.

RealSNR
12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Isn't a big reason why Pioli is getting fucked by SOC because not only is he an incompetent fucktard, but he's a STUBBORN incompetent fucktard who has successfully pissed off every last Arrowhead employee around him?

It's not enough to just know football. That shit only works if the team is successful year in and year out. I really don't think Polian is that good.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Isn't a big reason why Pioli is getting ****ed by SOC because not only is he an incompetent ****tard, but he's a STUBBORN incompetent ****tard who has successfully pissed off every last Arrowhead employee around him?

It's not enough to just know football. That shit only works if the team is successful year in and year out. I really don't think Polian is that good.

No. People are pissed because the talented team is underachieving and Pioli refused to draft a QB.

Nobody gave a fuck about Pioli's ego or how he was secretive in 2010 when the team was winning.

RealSNR
12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
No. People are pissed because the talented team is underachieving and Pioli refused to draft a QB.

Nobody gave a fuck about Pioli's ego or how he was secretive in 2010 when the team was winning.

I know a lot of people that read Babb's "Arrowhead Anxiety" article and wanted Pioli fired instantly.

The shitfuckery that has gone on since this past offseason with the coaching hire, the terrible draft, Brandon Carr, and Peyton Manning only added about 10,000 gallons to an already blazing fire of hatred for the douchebag.

RUSH
12-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Polian is the last guy I'd want to come here. Another egotistical maniac? No thanks.

I remember reading an article from an Indy writer that just let loose on him and how much of an asshole he was. Employees feared their jobs, couldn't even acknowledge reporters, etc. Sound familiar? I'll take a look to see if I can find it.

And he also brings his son along with him who is supposedly a bigger douchebag than Bill? No thanks.

And I didn't even touch on how much he sucked at his job the last 5 years or so he was in Indy. That team had no talent outside of Peyton. His drafts were pathetic. Luckily for the Colts, Grigson had an amazing draft this year so Luck has some a little bit of help.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Billick and Cowher have both won Super Bowls, there's a reason they're comfortable as analysts.

I think Hue Jackson deserves another shot at some point. He's a strong offensive mind and was unfairly treated in Oakland (who isn't?).

I don't really know the story with Raheem Morris. The Bucs were as good 2 years ago as they are this year. I don't think he flamed out, ala Haley, as much as the team wanted Schiano that badly.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Mike Sherman?

Team Year Regular Season Post Season
Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
GB 2000 9 7 0 .563 3rd in NFC Central - - - -
GB 2001 12 4 0 .750 2nd in NFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to St. Louis Rams in NFC Divisional Game
GB 2002 12 4 0 .750 1st in NFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Atlanta Falcons in NFC Wild-Card Game
GB 2003 10 6 0 .625 1st in NFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to Philadelphia Eagles in NFC Divisional Game
GB 2004 10 6 0 .625 1st in NFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Minnesota Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game
GB 2005 4 12 0 .250 4th in NFC North - - - -

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Mike Sherman?

GB 2001 12 4 0 .750 2nd in NFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to St. Louis Rams in NFC Divisional Game
GB 2002 12 4 0 .750 1st in NFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Atlanta Falcons in NFC Wild-Card Game
GB 2003 10 6 0 .625 1st in NFC North 1 1 .500 Lost to Philadelphia Eagles in NFC Divisional Game
GB 2004 10 6 0 .625 1st in NFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Minnesota Vikings in NFC Wild-Card Game

Interesting... :hmmm:

Hammock Parties
It would suck if a guy who was responsible for two of the greatest dynasties in the last 25 years became our GM for sure.

We're talking 17 seasons of 10+ wins.

Sorter
Mike Sherman?

This actually intrigues me a bit...especially if he can steal Clements from GB to come be an OC who actually calls plays here.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 02:28 PM
This actually intrigues me a bit...especially if he can steal Clements from GB to come be an OC who actually calls plays here.

He was a disaster at Texas A&M. No thanks.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Interesting... :hmmm:

Oh....and John Fox fits your theory as well....he obviously has a nice shot to return to the SB again this season.

Sorter
12-07-2012, 02:30 PM

Really? Honestly, I have no idea.

Cephalic Trauma
12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
It would suck if a guy who was responsible for two of the greatest dynasties in the last 25 years became our GM for sure.

I can't get myself to support a hire that you are. Remember when you compared Cassel to Elway?

whoman69
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Polian was a great GM, but it looks like he left the Colts in the hands of his son towards the end. His son messed up the whole thing. How can you sign one guy to take a quarter of your cap money every year and expect to field a decent team, especially when you have other non-cap friendly vets on your team? If signing Polian means his son is really in charge, then no. I don't think at 70 he has the energy to start from scratch.

Deberg_1990

He was, not a complete disaster, but a disappointment. Some guys are better at the Pro Game, some better at the college level.

htismaqe
Really? Honestly, I have no idea.

Yeah, he was.

But in the end, how much does that matter.

When the "hot" college coaches come up, everybody says "college isn't the pros, don't want him".

Seems to me to be a double-standard.

Brock
12-07-2012, 02:33 PM
He was, not a complete disaster, but a disappointment. Some guys are better at the Pro Game, some better at the college level.

He was a disappointment at the pro level too.

Sorter
12-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah, he was.

But in the end, how much does that matter.

When the "hot" college coaches come up, everybody says "college isn't the pros, don't want him".

Seems to me to be a double-standard.

I think that is definitely true. Having to deal with recruiting, limitations, kids, is entirely different. NOt that most guys can't do both but they are entirely different animals.

I do think that Sherman is intriguing. I'll have to do some research.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 02:35 PM

They weren't good in the playoffs. Won a lot of games though.

Sounds like Marty, honestly.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Ultimately sure....but hes 57-39 at the Pro level.......yet guys like Romeo get hired again before him??????

mcaj22
12-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Mike Sherman makes Pioli look like a genious

you are talking about a guy who's best draft pick in like 5 years was crappy overrated Nick Barnett and he drafted Javon Walker

he had like 4 good players in 5 drafts, exactly like ole Fat Scott

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I can't get myself to support a hire that you are. Remember when you compared Cassel to Elway?

Not once did I make that comparison. :shake:

Sorter

you are talking about a guy who's best draft pick in like 5 years was crappy overrated Nick Barnett and he drafted Javon Walker

Sherman was in charge of PP in GB?

htismaqe

Sherman wasn't the GM.

Titty Meat
Ultimately sure....but hes 57-39 at the Pro level.......yet guys like Romeo get hired again before him??????

Thompson gave him a 2 year extension and fired him that same year saying how he wasn't a good fit for the future. I don't know sounds like theres something there.

mcaj22
12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Mike Sherman absolutely had full control when he was there

what the fuck you guys start watching football 2 years ago? lol

O.city
12-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Not sure bout Polian.

Had one of, if not the greatest QB in history and consistently underachieved.

Rumored to be as big a dicbag as our current GM. He has put together some pretty good rosters tho.

TBH, I'd rather go with a younger up and coming guy, with a great scouting eye who isnt' a huge dicbird, but we need stability.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 02:42 PM

what the **** you guys start watching football 2 years ago? lol

Not in 2005 he didn't.

mcaj22
Sherman succeeded Ron Wolf as General Manager of the Packers in 2001, taking on the dual role of Head Coach and General Manager. Although the promotion of Sherman to GM was made prior to the 2001 NFL Draft, Wolf handled the actual draft duty in 2001. Sherman brought in three of the core players that were on the Packers 2010 roster. He drafted Nick Barnett (2003 Rd 1 #29), Scott Wells, (2004 Rd 7 #251 - complimentary pick), and acquired Cullen Jenkins as a rookie free agent after the 2003 draft.

Sherman's first solo draft pick as GM and in charge of the draft was Javon Walker in 2002, who made the Pro Bowl in 2004, and was traded to the Denver Broncos in 2006.

In 2005 the Packers hired Ted Thompson from the Seattle Seahawks to take over Sherman's General Manager duties, although Sherman remained the Packers' head coach for one more season.

Deberg_1990

what the **** you guys start watching football 2 years ago? lol

No, we remember

mcaj22
Not in 2005 he didn't.

good thing nobody was talking about the 2005 draft and we were talking about Mike Shermans coaching years

Brock

what the fuck you guys start watching football 2 years ago? lol

He did have it for a few years, you're right about that.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Not sure bout Polian.

Had one of, if not the greatest QB in history and consistently underachieved.

So now we're blaming Manning's chokes on Polian?

Can't have it both ways.

Either Manning was a choker or Polian underachieved. Pick one.

Either way I'm not gonna blame them for losing to Brady. That's like turning up your nose at Elway for losing to Montana.

Come on, man.

DaWolf
If Bill Polian doesn't scare you, Chris Polian taking over in a couple of years should...

Brock
So now we're blaming Manning's chokes on Polian?

Can't have it both ways.

Either Manning was a choker or Polian underachieved. Pick one.

Can we blame his horrid, undersized defenses on him?

mcaj22
He did have it for a few years, you're right about that.

essentially 4 years, and they remind me exactly of Piolis talent evaluation in 4 years here

was my essentially my point

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 02:46 PM
good thing nobody was talking about the 2005 draft and we were talking about Mike Shermans coaching years

Your statement that Sherman had full control when he was there is incorrect.

htismaqe
12-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Sherman succeeded Ron Wolf as General Manager of the Packers in 2001, taking on the dual role of Head Coach and General Manager. Although the promotion of Sherman to GM was made prior to the 2001 NFL Draft, Wolf handled the actual draft duty in 2001. Sherman brought in three of the core players that were on the Packers 2010 roster. He drafted Nick Barnett (2003 Rd 1 #29), Scott Wells, (2004 Rd 7 #251 - complimentary pick), and acquired Cullen Jenkins as a rookie free agent after the 2003 draft.

Sherman's first solo draft pick as GM and in charge of the draft was Javon Walker in 2002, who made the Pro Bowl in 2004, and was traded to the Denver Broncos in 2006.

In 2005 the Packers hired Ted Thompson from the Seattle Seahawks to take over Sherman's General Manager duties, although Sherman remained the Packers' head coach for one more season.

Good catch, completely forgot about that.

Titty Meat
12-07-2012, 02:47 PM
If Bill Polian doesn't scare you, Chris Polian taking over in a couple of years should...

This franchise can't afford to fail again. Polian assures Clark 3-4 years of good football.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-07-2012, 02:49 PM

Yeah, but it seems the REST of the show always comes up short under this guy. I don't know man, I see a lot of "in the hunt" action with this fool, but not much else.

O.city
12-07-2012, 02:49 PM
This franchise can't afford to fail again. Polian assures Clark 3-4 years of good football.

This.

Clark is gonna have to shell out some real dough, but I could see and wouldn't mind to see

Polian at GM
Cowher as HC
Rex Ryan as the DC

Not sure on the OC yet.

wazu
12-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I would be all about hiring Polian. I think he's a start-up guy by nature. The beauty of hiring him is that he can get things rolling quickly in the right direction, and by the time he starts to lose interest and move on he'll be ready to retire anyway. His track record is unbelievable. You know he'll work his butt off to add a fourth success story to the list.

Sorter
12-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I would be all about hiring Polian. I think he's a start-up guy by nature. The beauty of hiring him is that he can get things rolling quickly in the right direction, and by the time he starts to lose interest and move on he'll be ready to retire anyway. His track record is unbelievable. You know he'll work his butt off to add a fourth success story to the list.

Yeah and then you're stuck with his idiot son.

Strongside
12-07-2012, 04:04 PM
This.

Clark is gonna have to shell out some real dough, but I could see and wouldn't mind to see

Polian at GM
Cowher as HC
Rex Ryan as the DC

Not sure on the OC yet.

I just threw up and popped a boner at the same time.

MahiMike
12-07-2012, 04:06 PM
anything > Peeoli

wazu
12-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah and then you're stuck with his idiot son.

That's a big assumption. Sometimes people learn from their mistakes. And even if Bill hasn't, if Clark is hiring Polian, his track record hiring GMs will be:

1. Scott Pioli (Consensus great decision at the time that ended as a massive failure, but action was taken in a timely manner.)
2. Bill Polian

He's not establishing a pattern of making hap-hazard decisions, so to me given Chris Polian's background it's hard to imagine him going that route.

Sorter
12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
GM: Tom Gamble/Russ Ball/Eric Ross
HC: David Shaw/Arians/Jay Gruden/Greg Roman/Mike Zimmer
OC: Tom Clements/Joe Lombardi/Kyle Caskey/Geep Chryst
DC: Rex Ryan/Jim Tomsula/??? Haven't looked at too many guys, so additions would be helpful

You know what, we should just make a poll for each one after the season is over.

O.city
Enough with this hiring someone assuming they learned from mistakes. Thats how we ended up with Romeo.

Whoever you hire, you accept what he brings.

Therefor, don't hire a dumbass who does something you don't like. Enough with that bull.

Sorter
That's a big assumption. Sometimes people learn from their mistakes. And even if Bill hasn't, if Clark is hiring Polian, his track record hiring GMs will be:

1. Scott Pioli (Consensus great decision at the time that ended as a massive failure, but action was taken in a timely manner.)
2. Bill Polian

He's not establishing a pattern of making hap-hazard decisions, so to me given Chris Polian's background it's hard to imagine him going that route.

No it fucking isn't. It's his fucking son. ROFL

O.city
12-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Gotta say, the more I read about Shaw the more I like.

Sorter, wouldn't Clements be making a lateral move by coming to be our OC? Isn't it pretty much known who is the brains behind the operation in GB?

Sorter
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Gotta say, the more I read about Shaw the more I like.

Sorter, wouldn't Clements be making a lateral move by coming to be our OC? Isn't it pretty much known who is the brains behind the operation in GB?

He doesn't have playcalling responsibilities in GB. So lateral yes but with much more responsibilities.

O.city
12-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm a little gunshy on guys who have potentially been propped up by other minds, after what we are going thru right now.

wazu
12-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm a little gunshy on guys who have potentially been propped up by other minds, after what we are going thru right now.

I'm assuming this is an argument for Polian, correct?

O.city
12-07-2012, 04:26 PM
At this point, I would be fine with Polian.

Statement more towards coaching.

wazu
12-07-2012, 04:27 PM
No it fucking isn't. It's his fucking son. ROFL

Yeah. Doesn't mean he's an idiot. Could be that it created uncomfortable roles in his personal life that he doesn't want to re-live.

Of course, he may still think hiring his son and trying to prop him up in that role was a great decision, in which case I think it's a good thing that he isn't the one who gets to hire his successor. Clark is.

ModSocks
12-07-2012, 04:30 PM
No

No

No

No

FUCK NO.

DO NOT WANT.

Indy has always had a shit roster aside from Peyton.

Sorter
12-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Yeah. Doesn't mean he's an idiot. Could be that it created uncomfortable roles in his personal life that he doesn't want to re-live.

Of course, he may still think hiring his son and trying to prop him up in that role was a great decision, in which case I think it's a good thing that he isn't the one who gets to hire his successor. Clark is.

I doubt it. I assume he wants his son to be an effective GM and will do whatever he can to help him reach that goal.

I don't want Chris Polian involved in any kind of scouting or football decisions. I don't think that is possible if Bill is hired.

ModSocks
12-07-2012, 04:31 PM
anything > Peeoli

anything > Peterson

/2009

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2012, 04:33 PM
anything > Peterson

/2009

LOL

ModSocks
12-07-2012, 04:35 PM

Peyton Manning and Jim Kelly.

Once again, QB means everything. None of these men are geniuses....just their QB's.

wazu
12-07-2012, 04:37 PM
No

No

No

No

FUCK NO.

DO NOT WANT.

Indy has always had a shit roster aside from Peyton.

Bills went to four Superbowls in a row under Polian.
Panthers went to NFC Championship their second year under Polian.
Colts went to two Superbowls, winning one under Polian.

The Chiefs could use one of his shit rosters right about now.

wazu
12-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Once again, QB means everything. None of these men are geniuses....just their QB's.

Yes, QB means everything. I'd kind of like to have a GM who realizes that and drafts accordingly.

O.city
12-07-2012, 04:38 PM

This is basically how you can evaluate every GM.

If he was highly successful, who was his QB?

Although, Polian has done it at multiple stops, so he has a pretty good record with that.

O.city
12-07-2012, 04:40 PM
The fact that he apparently knows how important a QB is, is refreshing.

ModSocks
12-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Jim Kelly & Peyton Manning.

How well did those teams do w/o them?

QB is everything.

If you wanna tell me the man knows how to identify a QB, then maybe you can sell me on that and you may have a case.

But that Indy roster was shit and was carried by Peyton. Everyone knew it and last year proved it.

ModSocks
12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
This is basically how you can evaluate every GM.

If he was highly successful, who was his QB?

Although, Polian has done it at multiple stops, so he has a pretty good record with that.

True.

Maybe you guys are right, maybe what Polian CAN do is identify and acquire a franchise QB. After all, that is what is most important. Maybe i can get on board with this.....but then again....he was only able to win one SB with arguably the greatest QB in the history of the game....

O.city
12-07-2012, 04:44 PM
True.

Maybe you guys are right, maybe what Polian CAN do is identify and acquire a franchise QB. After all, that is what is most important. Maybe i can get on board with this.....but then again....he was only able to win one SB with arguably the greatest QB in the history of the game....

Yeah, but he also had to continually play arguably a better QB (playoff wise) damn near every year.

If you take Brady out of the equation, how many do the Colts win?

saphojunkie
12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
You know, I was anti-Polian, but thinking back...

He wanted to keep Peyton and trade the rights to draft Luck.

Watching Manning torch defenses this year, it makes me think the man wasn't entirely crazy. I probably would have still taken Luck, but it isn't cut and dried.

ModSocks
Yeah, but he also had to continually play arguably a better QB (playoff wise) damn near every year.

If you take Brady out of the equation, how many do the Colts win?

Better QB or better team? Because NE always had the better team. The kicker and the defense made all the difference.

It's an interesting debate though.

TEX
True.

He is / was my first choice for GM. The Colts were always competitive. Didn't they win their division every year? He knew what the FIRST piece of the puzzel was.

wazu
Jim Kelly & Peyton Manning.

How well did those teams do w/o them?

QB is everything.

If you wanna tell me the man knows how to identify a QB, then maybe you can sell me on that and you may have a case.

But that Indy roster was shit and was carried by Peyton. Everyone knew it and last year proved it.

Yes, that's what I wanna to tell you. He did draft Manning, by the way. I know in hindsight that seems like a "well, duh" decision, but at the time there were tons of smart people talking up Leaf. The Chargers traded up to #2 and said they would be happy with Manning or Leaf. That was the atmosphere, and Polian didn't blow it.

That being said, I don't believe that the rest of the roster was shit for the Bills or Colts. Seems like he's pretty good at surrounding his QBs with talent on offense, and his defenses generate a pretty good pass rush.

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
But that Indy roster was shit and was carried by Peyton. Everyone knew it and last year proved it.Most likely. However, I wouldn't call all of his rosters shit. He drafted some very solid players.

They had shit for QBs last year. Look how well they are playing with a rookie.

Granted, Luck is not your average rookie QB, but he's no Peyton Manning at this point.

I'm not sure how I feel about Polian. I don't hate the idea, but I'm not infatuated, either.

MotherfuckerJones
12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I really dont care who the GM is. We got the hot name and its failing miserably. I want the right HC and QB. That will make it easy to build the roster around the QB because you dont have to hit on every pick because your QB can make decent guys great ie Peyton Manning and Garcon, Collie, Gonzalez, Clark..etc. I dont want a GM however that's like Pioli and his egomaniac ways. Be nice to you employees in the front office and building. A miserable work environment trickles down if you dont hit on the QB and HC

saphojunkie
12-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Does everyone here believe that the bigger sin is not drafting a bust at QB, but passing on a star?

MotherfuckerJones
He did hit on Manning picking him over Ryan LOL Leaf. Maybe he brings back Dungy i dont know. Wouldn't mind Andy Reid. He's a good coach, not great but good

Ebolapox
Yeah that's not entirely true. See the Bills and Panthers.

Besides, the Colts had a very good offensive line, great receivers and an offense built to play with a lead during Manning's prime. It wasn't all him.

Flame away...we could do worse, that's for sure.

jim kelly. kerry collins. yeah, he clearly doesn't give a shit about QB play (he inherited jim kelly, but still)

TEX

Exactly. How anyone wouldn't want this man for GM is beyond me.

Brock
12-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Exactly. How anyone wouldn't want this man for GM is beyond me.

Peyton Manning - 1 Super Bowl trophy.

1 colossal waste.

wazu
12-07-2012, 05:10 PM

1 colossal waste.

So, just to confirm, playing in 18 playoff games from 2000-2010 seasons, and winning 8 of them including going to two Superbowls and winning one...is a colossal waste that Polian is guilty of. (And a waste of a Hall of Fame QB that he himself drafted.)

Sign me up. I want to be bashing Polian for something similar in KC some day.

BigMeatballDave
12-07-2012, 05:13 PM

1 colossal waste.

No SB trophies in 43 yrs.

I'll take it.

Brock
12-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Is comparing the Colts near-complete waste of Manning's career to the Chiefs completely futile franchise existence the best argument you can come up with? Because, Jesus Christ, you could hire AJ Smith using that rationale.

I'd rather have a guy with zero history than the completely overrated Polian.

wazu
12-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Is comparing the Colts near-complete waste of Manning's career to the Chiefs completely futile franchise existence the best argument you can come up with? Because, Jesus Christ, you could hire AJ Smith using that rationale.

I'd rather have a guy with zero history than the completely overrated Polian.

If we hire a guy with zero history I'll most likely be on board with that, too.

But with Polian I feel like we know we are getting somebody who will come in and give us the best chance of delivering a franchise QB.

saphojunkie
12-07-2012, 05:54 PM

1 colossal waste.

It's not Polian's fault another AFC team found one of if not THE greatest postseason quarterback in NFL history in the sixth round.

Tom Brady and Belichick are the NFL's version of Michael Jordan. Many outstanding NBA teams with hall of fame coaches and players suffered because they happened to be contemporaries of the single most dominant championship hunter ever in Michael Jordan.

saphojunkie
12-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Actually, fuck all this. I still want DeCosta or Ross.

wazu
12-07-2012, 05:58 PM
I think it's fine if Polian isn't your top guy or you have something different in mind, but if on Black Monday we fire Pioli and then hire Polian on Tuesday, we should all be dancing in the streets. That is an upgrade of epic, insane proportions.

Easy 6
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Cowher? I'd take him.

Yeah, Reid needs some time off for sure, he's been through an emotional pressure cooking blast furnace for the last several years, he seems like one of those guys who doesnt know when to take a break in life and its driven him to distraction... do not want.

No big fan of Billick, give him an all world O and they'll play like it, give him an all world D and they'll play like it... but when has he ever truly developed a squad or done anything remotely groundbreaking. We've all heard of "game managing QB's", he's a game managing HC imo.

The Chin? yeah, i'd take that... but he wont take us.

Brock
12-07-2012, 06:10 PM
It's not Polian's fault another AFC team found one of if not THE greatest postseason quarterback in NFL history in the sixth round.

Tom Brady and Belichick are the NFL's version of Michael Jordan. Many outstanding NBA teams with hall of fame coaches and players suffered because they happened to be contemporaries of the single most dominant championship hunter ever in Michael Jordan.

It isn't Marty Schottenheimer's fault he coached in a division with Elway. My gosh, cut the guy some slack.

Fuck all these excuses.

Easy 6
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM

Fisher just beat the niners with a half baked team.

Brock
12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Fisher just beat the niners with a half baked team.

He'll have them up to his customary 8-8 in no time.

BossChief
12-07-2012, 06:16 PM
When will people just stop saying decosta?

The guy will be in Baltimore the next 20 years.

I wouldn't be pissed if we got Polian. He has built superbowl teams in multiple cities and his teams are always in it because he understands the importance of the qb and putting the pieces around him to ensure his success.

He is probably towards the top of my list.

King_Chief_Fan
12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I think it's fine if Polian isn't your top guy or you have something different in mind, but if on Black Monday we fire Pioli and then hire Polian on Tuesday, we should all be dancing in the streets. That is an upgrade of epic, insane proportions.

as was the story when Pioli was hired

Hootie
12-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Tom Brady hasn't won a super bowl in almost a decade...not quite sure how that's comparable to Jordan dominance

New World Order
12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
So it's settled, Bill Polian and Andy Reid next year.

Sounds good to me.

Marcellus
12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Tom Brady hasn't won a super bowl in almost a decade...not quite sure how that's comparable to Jordan dominance

If football was a QB and 4 other guys on the field playing each other Brady would have 10 rings by now.

You cant compare the 2 sports.

Hootie
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
If football was a QB and 4 other guys on the field playing each other Brady would have 10 rings by now.

You cant compare the 2 sports.

So Manning is a choker but Brady gets a pass because football is a team sport. Cool, got it.

GoChargers
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Tom Brady and Belichick are the NFL's version of Michael Jordan.

Horrible comparison. MJ never lost in the Finals. Belicheat and Brady have choked in their last two appearances to a far lesser team (and this was after cheating to win the first three).

And that's not even mentioning their AFC title game meltdown against the Colts, their blowout loss in Foxboro against the Ravens, and losing to Mark Sanchez in a playoff game.

Marcellus
12-07-2012, 06:34 PM
So Manning is a choker but Brady gets a pass because football is a team sport. Cool, got it.

I never called Manning a choker. Just responding to your question.

Got that?

Easy 6
12-07-2012, 06:35 PM
He'll have them up to his customary 8-8 in no time.

If his inability to find playmaking receivers holds up, thats right.

But you gotta admit, beating the upstart seahawks, tying the niners, then beating them, is a pretty neat trick for a team with holes all over it.

Marcellus
12-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Horrible comparison. MJ never lost in the Finals. Belicheat and Brady have choked in their last two appearances to a far lesser team (and this was after cheating to win the first three).

And that's not even mentioning their AFC title game meltdown against the Colts, their blowout loss in Foxboro against the Ravens, and losing to Mark Sanchez in a playoff game.

The whole comparison is stupid, you cant compare the 2 sports. BB is way more influenced by 1 player than football ever will be, even at QB.

BossChief
12-07-2012, 06:36 PM
GM: Tom Gamble/Russ Ball/Eric Ross
HC: David Shaw/Arians/Jay Gruden/Greg Roman/Mike Zimmer
OC: Tom Clements/Joe Lombardi/Kyle Caskey/Geep Chryst
DC: Rex Ryan/Jim Tomsula/??? Haven't looked at too many guys, so additions would be helpful

You know what, we should just make a poll for each one after the season is over.In order of preference.

Ross...Polian
Cowher...Arians
Norv...Lombardi...someone is slipping my mind here.
Rivera...Ryan

To be honest, I think Clark is gonna continue spending and will want to pay top dollar on a coaching staff.

Any combination of those guys would be exciting.

Marcellus
12-07-2012, 06:37 PM

But you gotta admit, beating the upstart seahawks, tying the niners, then beating them, is a pretty neat trick for a team with holes all over it.

He has shocked the shit out of me. Also people bashing him are basically figuring Fisher has no ability to change or improve. I don't know that that is true, I guess we will see.

BossChief
12-07-2012, 06:39 PM

Sounds good to me.

I don't think Reid will want to coach next year. He just seems completely burned out and exhausted. Emotionally spent.

And who can blame him?

Brock
12-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Marty used to do this kind of stuff all the time too. I'm not saying Fisher is a bad coach, just a very boring, uninspiring choice. Just like reid would be, IMO.

Marcellus
12-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't think Reid will want to coach next year. He just seems completely burned out and exhausted. Emotionally spent.

And who can blame him?

By that standard RAC and Pioli have to be gone. YES!

ct
12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Barf.

I don't believe this to be true. It was a different era to draft QB #1, with the salary cap burden that entailed. And the true killer was the [b]2nd[b/] contract, not even really the rookie contract. Today's NFL u start your young QB now and the window starts opening immediately if u get the right guy.

I'm cool w/ bill polian, not chris.

Easy 6
12-07-2012, 06:53 PM
He has shocked the shit out of me. Also people bashing him are basically figuring Fisher has no ability to change or improve. I don't know that that is true, I guess we will see.

Give him a solid QB and run game, a well stocked defense, and he can get you into the tournament more often than not.

Like Brock says, he isnt a sexy pick and is definitely old school stodgy like Marty in many ways... but he's always competitive, always tough in his division even in down years.

Oh well, i'm crushing on another teams wife... need to get my own, heh.

Marcellus
12-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Give him a solid QB and run game, a well stocked defense, and he can get you into the tournament more often than not.

Like Brock says, he isnt a sexy pick and is definitely old school stodgy like Marty in many ways... but he's always competitive, always tough in his division even in down years.

Oh well, i'm crushing on another teams wife... need to get my own, heh.

Tom Caughlin is much the same way.

Psyko Tek
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
So Haley is going to take us to the Superbowl! Sa-weeeet!

CRAZY TOOD TIME
briing him back turn him loose
we win 13 super bowls inna a row
and KC is retired from the leagues as all time champions

Jimmy the Greek
12-07-2012, 09:53 PM
I like it

DaWolf
12-07-2012, 09:54 PM

And let's not forget he inherited Jim Kelly, so he lucked out there...

tk13
12-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Bill Polian is a great GM. Great GM. It is jaw dropping to me that people here rip on him. The guy could build a team almost completely without free agency. But this is ChiefsPlanet where every great GM and coach got lucky.

That said... I think this is just a plan to try and squeeze Chris back into a GM job... not a good idea.

Setsuna
12-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Offer Nick Saban $5M and let's win some Nat'l Champ....I mean Supah Bowls!

teedubya
12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
WE DESERVE BETTER, #FIREPOLIAN SaveOurChiefs.com

okcchief
12-07-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm not super high on hiring Polian because of his age. I guess better old and proven than old and Romeo.

It would definitely be better than keeping Pioli.

okcchief
12-07-2012, 11:51 PM

Sounds good to me.

That combo I could live with.

Sorter
12-07-2012, 11:52 PM
I'd rather get a young GM.

cdcox
12-08-2012, 12:07 AM
That said... I think this is just a plan to try and squeeze Chris back into a GM job... not a good idea.

The nut may not have fallen very far from the tree, but it certainly did roll down the hill.

Sorter
12-08-2012, 12:10 AM
The nut may not have fallen very far from the tree, but it certainly did roll down the hill.

Yeah, I don't understand how you can be that incompetent given the level of training he's received. He must be retarded.

tk13
12-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Ego. He probably has Bill's ego except he didn't do anything to earn it. There's a reason why when Irsay whacked them he had nothing but great things to say about Bill and didn't say much of anything about Chris.

That's one of those things, people who hate Pioli will probably hate the Polians for the same reasons. Very controlling of information, probably even moreso than Pioli... and a bit condescending. But to his credit, there were times Bill made unpopular moves and turned out to be right. Not sure Pioli has done that once. Chris supposedly was the driving force in letting go the coaches and front office people the Colts lost over the last 4-5 years though.

Sorter
12-08-2012, 12:37 AM
While some might be inclined to disagree, it as to be ego due to the actual scouting systems that all teams use. There is a set standard and an actual formula for evaluating players (while different for each team). When you see teams draft poorly consistently, it is either because their formula is bad or they have someone overriding it.

bevischief
12-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Hell no. I rather have Carl back than this and I hate Carl too.

BigMeatballDave
12-08-2012, 09:22 AM

:spock:

Imon Yourside
12-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Carl Nero?

MotherfuckerJones
12-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Maybe you guys didn't read the last paragraph

milkman
12-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Bill Polian, in Buffalo, built a complete, well balanced team around Jim Kelly.

In Indy, he surrounded Manning with mediocre talent and used his influence on the competition committee to create rules to maximize Manning's effectiveness.

Buffalo Polian I'd take.
Carolina Polian I'd take.

Indy Poilian.
No thanks.

Bewbies
12-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I'd prefer someone getting their first shot to someone on #3, 4, 5....

I want a front office that wants to be innovators. Not retreads.

Chiefshrink
12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
hopefully pioli and polian belcher themselves together so we can get someone better. polian and his son left the colts a big pile of dog sh#t

Did Polian want to keep going with Manning but the owner Irsay didn't thus Polian was fired?

Chiefshrink
12-08-2012, 02:19 PM
In Indy, he surrounded Manning with mediocre talent and used his influence on the competition committee to create rules to maximize Manning's effectiveness.

So Manning should have more than 1 SB ring in your eyes because Polian drafted mediocre talent especially on D other than Bob Sanders and Freeney?

Mr_Tomahawk
12-08-2012, 02:20 PM
The ONLY thing I like about Polian as our GM is that it means Pioli would be gone...

O.city
12-08-2012, 02:28 PM
I'd prefer someone getting their first shot to someone on #3, 4, 5....

I want a front office that wants to be innovators. Not retreads.

I do too

But we need a proven guy right now to right the ship

milkman
12-08-2012, 02:31 PM
So Manning should have more than 1 SB ring in your eyes because Polian drafted mediocre talent especially on D other than Bob Sanders and Freeney?

I don't know that Manning could have gotten past teams in the playoffs that could bring consistent pressure.

It was in the regular season that he really benefitted from the rules changes.

milkman
12-08-2012, 02:34 PM
I do too

No we don't.

The right hire, regardless of experience, is what we need.

It's incumbent upon Clark Hunt, and whoever he relies on for help, to do their due diligence and make the right choice, not the most popular one.

The popular choice is how we ended up with Pioli.

Bewbies
12-08-2012, 02:39 PM
I do too

Past results do not guarantee future outcomes.

Hire the right guy and the ship is righted. Doesn't matter how much, or how little, prior GM experience they have.

O.city
12-08-2012, 02:43 PM
I was referring more towards the fans overall feeling.

The way this regime has gone, I think Clark looks to go conservative. Not that I necessarily think he should though

-King-
12-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Buffalo Polian I'd take.

Indy Poilian.
No thanks.

He put together good offensive talent around Manning in Indy. It's the defense that he failed at.

Sorter
12-08-2012, 03:01 PM
He put together good offensive talent around Manning in Indy. It's the defense that he failed at.

IDK about that. Bethea, Bob Sanders, Brackett, Freeny, Mathis are all great players.

I'd have to review his drafts but clearly they started drafting much worse once Chris took control.

I still don't want Piolian. LMAO

Hammock Parties
12-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Who cares if Indy's defenses had issues.

Those teams won. Every year.

I know Polian will make this team competitive at the very least. If he gets the right QB we'll be competing with the top teams.

Can't really ask for more.

O.city
12-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Who cares if Indy's defenses had issues.

Those teams won. Every year.

I know Polian will make this team competitive at the very least. If he gets the right QB we'll be competing with the top teams.

Can't really ask for more.

So did vermeils teams. Sort of

Just get the qb and build the best team around him both sides of the ball and to his strengths. That's why the colts were so good. Their defense was built pretty well for the offense.

Great pass rushers that could rush once they for te lead which they did alot

FloridaMan88
12-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Polian's draft record in Indy was mediocre and he was less active in free agency than Fat Scott/Dictator Carl combined.

No thanks.

chiefzilla1501
12-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Chiefs like to play it safe. We all know the problem, but a deeper look gets even more interesting.

Leadership:
-In the past 23 years, only 4.5 years were with a "first time" NFL head coach. 2 with Gunther, 2.5 with Haley.

QBs:
-No Kansas City drafted QB has ever led the Chiefs to a winning full season record. Ever.
-Chiefs' record behind a drafted QB? 26 Wins, 40 losses (Basically... 4 seasons)

I'm not interested in another retread. I want a first round QB, an up and comer head coach, and a GM who isn't going to rely on his network to hire a bunch of retreads.

spades
12-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Buffalo Polian I'd take.

Indy Poilian.
No thanks.

What rule did they create to help Manning?

BigMeatballDave
12-08-2012, 04:00 PM
What rule did they create to help Manning?

Not Manning specifically, but the passing game, in general.

The illegal contact rule.

spades
12-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Not Manning specifically, but the passing game, in general.

The illegal contact rule.

That rule never changed. It was always on the books. It was just never enforced.

No rules were created or changed

BigMeatballDave
12-08-2012, 04:18 PM
That rule never changed. It was always on the books. It was just never enforced.

No rules were created or changed

Yeah, looks like it was created in 94, but not strictly enforced until the 2004 season.

Titty Meat
12-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Bill Polians overall record of running teams is great but then you read shit like this....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/bill-polian-is-high-on-first-round-running-backs/

NJChiefsFan
12-08-2012, 06:21 PM
No we don't.

The right hire, regardless of experience, is what we need.

Exactly. It isn't about how it looks after the hire, but how it looks down the road. I don't need to be jumping for joy with the GM hire. Did that with Pioli and the fun went away real fast.