PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sleeper HC candidate

Count Zarth
12-09-2012, 05:09 PM
http://www.cardinalsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ken-whisenhunt1.jpg

If Arizona makes the mistake of firing Ken Whisenhunt, would he be a good guy to hire?

I wouldn't judge anyone on anything that happened in Arizona.

Ben N 58men
12-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Respectfully pass.

-King-
12-09-2012, 05:11 PM
ROFL The guy losing 51-0 right now? I'm good.

lewdog
12-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Do not want.

kcpasco
12-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Only if he likes drafting qb's

Count Zarth
12-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Jimmy Johnson got beat 62-7 once.

It happens.

Ben N 58men
This thread is obviously sarcasm lol.

Bowser
I'd take him as a coordinator at the very least.

dannybcaitlyn
12-09-2012, 05:14 PM
I would like to think he's a good coach but he hasn't done crap since kurt Warner left!

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 05:18 PM
the more I read, and I realize it would never happen because of the name, the more I like Kyle Shanahan

milkman
12-09-2012, 05:22 PM
My first choice would be David Shaw.

My sleeper candidate might be Marc Trestman.

RunKC
JFC NO!

He whiffed on Leinart, he whiffed on Kolb, he whiffed on Skelton.

He whiffed on Levi Brown and sucks at building an OL.

The defense is the only thing holding that team together (minus today).

There's a reason why Ray Horton might/probably will take his job.

-King-
the more I read, and I realize it would never happen because of the name, the more I like Kyle Shanahan

Hell to the fuck no.

Rams Fan
12-09-2012, 05:24 PM
JFC NO!

He whiffed on Leinart, he whiffed on Kolb, he whiffed on Skelton.

He whiffed on Levi Brown and sucks at building an OL.

The defense is the only thing holding that team together (minus today).

There's a reason why Ray Horton might/probably will take his job.

He wasn't in AZ when Leinart was picked.

BJ2K
58-0.

Holy shit that's fail.

unnecessary drama
Hell to the fuck no.

Why? He's done a fantastic job with RGIII...isn't that what we'd want with Geno?

Chief Roundup
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
I would like to think he's a good coach but he hasn't done crap since kurt Warner left!

Yeah I understand that and all but where has Andy Reid been since McNabb. Jimmy Johnson without Aikman. Fisher since McNair and so on.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM

He's like, your age, dude. He's not ready yet.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nzuSGbDN3Xc/UGSmmstfwbI/AAAAAAAAARA/OEgyI2onnBM/s1600/kyle-shanahan-op5p-35571.jpg

RunKC
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
He wasn't in AZ when Leinart was picked.

My bad. His QB choices still speak for themselves.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Personally I want a young, hungry offensive minded head coach. Just my preference

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Especially one who'd be obsessed with developing a QB

BJ2K
12-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Arizona is trying to do their best Chiefs impression, I see.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Good points, I just think he's going to be another 2-3 years out. He's already developing a QB.

-King-
12-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Why? He's done a fantastic job with RGIII...isn't that what we'd want with Geno?

I don't think he's ready at all to handle being an NFL coach. RGIII was going to be successful with or without Kyle Shanahan. He'd be like McDaniels at head coach.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Kyle Shanahan for the win.

-King-

If you want that...then how about Bruce Arians?

unnecessary drama
True...just a little personal preference I have...young guy with an offensive (lol) background

RUSH
I'd gladly take Whisenhunt. Real solid coach.

That team is very competitive (aside from this week) with a pathetic QB situation.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Personally I want a young, hungry offensive minded head coach. Just my preference

What does hungry have to do with anything? Any NFL coordinator or college head coach is earning $500k - $3.5 million currently.

That's a terrible reason to hire a head coach.

A Head Coach's job is create the vision for the football team, then hire like-minded coordinators and position coaches.

The Head Coach needs to be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a plan in place not only for the offense but for the defense and special teams.

Hiring a Head Coach for a team with a rookie Top 3 Quarterback require patience from the head coach and an understanding of his strengths and weaknesses.

An offensive coordinator should be able to game plan for the strengths of the QB, while the QB coach spends time helping the rookie QB develop, i.e. footwork, throwing motion, check downs, correcting mistakes, etc.

The Head Coach shouldn't be in every QB film session nor should he be spending all of his time developing the QB. That's the QB coach's job.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd gladly take Whisenhunt. Real solid coach.

That team is very competitive (aside from this week) with a pathetic QB situation.

Whisenhunt was a solid NFL coordinator with the Steelers and Rothlisberger. He was a good enough NFL head coach to get to the Super Bowl and subquently, the playoffs, with Kurt Warner at the helm.

Since then, he's struggled as a head coach because the Cardinals can't find a running game and can't find a quarterback. Their offensive line has been horrible (scheme) and the team is a mess.

If he's fired, I wouldn't discount him as a head coach down the line but how do you sell the fans of Kansas City (or anywhere, for that matter) on a guy that won 4 games in 2012?

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Meh.

Just my personal opinion. I may be wrong. I think Mike Shanahan is a great coach and I have no reason to think Kyle would be any less of a great head coach.

Personally, I'd prefer my head coach to be the guy calling the plays like Sean Payton.

But that's just me as a guy who prefers offense and thinks offense wins championships. I don't disagree with anyone who disagrees with me.

saphojunkie
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I want an offensive coach that values excellent quarterback play and get develop skill players. Also, I'm tired of this players' coach crap. Gimme a hard ass.

I do like the Arizona connection, though. Like Ken Whisenhunt if he were an offensive guy!

Oh wait...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/218902/thumbs/s-TODD-HALEY-large.jpg

The Bad Guy
12-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm not a Wisenhut fan. Unless he has a HOF QB at his disposal, he sucks and sucks hard.

milkman
12-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Meh.

Just my personal opinion. I may be wrong. I think Mike Shanahan is a great coach and I have no reason to think Kyle would be any less of a great head coach.

Personally, I'd prefer my head coach to be the guy calling the plays like Sean Payton.

But that's just me as a guy who prefers offense and thinks offense wins championships. I don't disagree with anyone who disagrees with me.

I've said this numerous times through the years.

Give me a franchise QB and a top 10 defense, and I'll take my chances against the rest of the league.

SBs are won by the teams that have the best balance of QB and defense.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't know why people are so obsessed with hiring an offensive head coach.

In many ways, hiring a defensive or special teams coach who gives free reign to a strong offensive coordinator is much better.

The Bad Guy
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Meh.

I hear you with the offensive HC that calls plays.

I think that's the best formula in today's league.

However, Kyle Shanahan isn't it. He reminds me a lot of McDaniels' cockiness and I wonder how well he'd do without his dad.

jspchief
12-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Wisenhunt is garbage. Fuck no.

RUSH
12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Whisenhunt was a solid NFL coordinator with the Steelers and Rothlisberger. He was a good enough NFL head coach to get to the Super Bowl and subquently, the playoffs, with Kurt Warner at the helm.

Since then, he's struggled as a head coach because the Cardinals can't find a running game and can't find a quarterback. Their offensive line has been horrible (scheme) and the team is a mess.

If he's fired, I wouldn't discount him as a head coach down the line but how do you sell the fans of Kansas City (or anywhere, for that matter) on a guy that won 4 games in 2012?

Prior success is how they could sell it.

It's similar to John Fox and Denver. Fox proved that he was a good coach throughout his years in Carolina, but only won 1 game the year he was fired. I think Whisenhunt falls into that category as well.

Hunt really needs to nail this hire so why not go after a guy with a proven track record?

He wouldn't be my first choice but I also wouldn't be mad if he was hired.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I hear you with the offensive HC that calls plays.

I think that's the best formula in today's league.

However, Kyle Shanahan isn't it. He reminds me a lot of McDaniels' cockiness and I wonder how well he'd do without his dad.

He did well in Houston. I don't know, I hear ya...I just think the Dungy's and Herm's and Crennel's are terrible head coaches.

jspchief
12-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Prior success is how they could sell it.

It's similar to John Fox and Denver. Fox proved that he was a good coach throughout his years in Carolina, but only won 1 game the year he was fired. I think Whisenhunt falls into that category as well.

Hunt really needs to nail this hire so why not go after a guy with a proven track record?Fox tripped dick first into Peyton Manning.

unnecessary drama
in my perfect world...we hire a "Sean Payton" as HC and then hire a coordinator that is basically the "head coach" of the defense.

That's just what I prefer.

unnecessary drama
Look, Peyton is a whole different beast.

I could be the "head coach" of Denver and we'd be 10-3. Peyton made Dungy a "hall of fame" coach and Dungy was terrible IMHO.

RUSH
12-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Fox tripped dick first into Peyton Manning.

He took a Tim Tebow led team into the playoffs. Also won a game there as well.

The guy is a good coach.

kcpasco
You could hire a monkey as your head coach and be successful with Peyton Manning as your Qb.

unnecessary drama
Here's what I'd do as the head coach of Peyton.

"Welp, ok...Peyton you go out there and run the offense...let me know if you need anything!"

Welp! Now I'm a hall of fame coach!

tk13
12-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Look, Peyton is a whole different beast.

I could be the "head coach" of Denver and we'd be 10-3. Peyton made Dungy a "hall of fame" coach and Dungy was terrible IMHO.

I never would call him Bill Walsh... but the Buccaneers had 2 complete decades of total failure before Dungy got there. He's certainly not terrible. There's probably hundreds of coaches you could rank below him.

milkman
12-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Here's what I'd do as the head coach of Peyton.

"Welp, ok...Peyton you go out there and run the offense...let me know if you need anything!"

Welp! Now I'm a hall of fame coach!

He went to a SB with Jake Delhomme at QB.

He went to the playoffs last year with Tim TeBow at QB.

These Donkeys are one of only two teams with a top 10 offense and top 10 defense.

Manning is, without question, making his job easier, but Fox is a hell of a coach.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Wiz with Warner, Boldin, Breaston, and Fitz was a pretty good combination IIRC...

Mr. Flopnuts
12-09-2012, 06:02 PM
I like Bruce Arians.

chiefzilla1501
19 of the past 23 years, we've had a retread head coach. Let's try something new.

I still want to go with a young, under-the-radar guy, especially if we're not able to land some of the top guys on our list like Chip Kelly or David Shaw. And I don't want the candidate who's sexy only because he's great with X's and O's.

Pick a guy who, even if he doesn't have a flashy X's and O's track record, has a great reputation for being well respected in the locker room, especially from a disciplinary standpoint.

Sweet Daddy Hate

These Donkeys are one of only two teams with a top 10 offense and top 10 defense.

Manning is, without question, making his job easier, but Fox is a hell of a coach.

Yep, Fox is, unfortunately, not a complete bag o' peeholi...:shake:

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I like Bruce Arians.

Bruce Arians is overrated, even as a Coordinator. Any Steelers' fan will tell you that. The only reason he kept his job was because Big Ben lobbied for him.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Yeah, perhaps.

I'm not a fan. I don't like defensive minded head coaches. I'm stubborn.

All I'm saying is...Manning by himself, regardless of coach, is worth 10 wins.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Bruce Arians is overrated, even as a Coordinator. Any Steelers' fan will tell you that. The only reason he kept his job was because Big Ben lobbied for him.

Ok well, not sure about this.

The Colts are 9-4. He has to get some credit for this.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-09-2012, 06:06 PM

:spock: He's doing just fine in Indy as well. He's never been a head coach, and discipline will not be an issue. Oh, and he's a Steelers way guy. Clark would love him. I could see him and Polian in KC within the next couple of months. I don't think I'd cry and I'm not a fan of Polian.

tk13
12-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Ok well, not sure about this.

The Colts are 9-4. He has to get some credit for this.

He does... but that team is also playing for Pagano too. Really impossible to say what would happen if this wasn't the situation.

The Bad Guy
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM
ChiefZilla still beating the hilarious "Arians is overrated" tripe.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM
He does... but that team is also playing for Pagano too. Really impossible to say what would happen if this wasn't the situation.

That's all conjecture. The numbers indicate he's pretty good.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I think it's quite clear...

It doesn't matter if you're Lombardi or Belichick...

if you don't have a franchise QB, you're just going to be fucked...one way or the other

Arians = franchise QB
Fox = franchise QB
Whisenhunt = Ryan Lindley/John Skelton

who fucking knows

I think the most important thing to any football franchise...it's not owner, it's not GM, it's not coach...it's not LT, RT or DT

it's a god damn elite QB

-King-
12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Meh.

I'd prefer a head coach that DOESN'T call his own plays. More of those types of guys fail than succeed.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I'd prefer a head coach that DOESN'T call his own plays. More of those types of guys fail than succeed.

Fair enough.

Just my preference as a Madden guru/offense guy.

I've been known to be wrong before.

crazycoffey
12-09-2012, 06:10 PM

I hate agreeing with you.... but I like it, as an OC, as long as we get a strong HC, John mutherfoucking grueden ish.

-King-
12-09-2012, 06:11 PM
He did well in Houston. I don't know, I hear ya...I just think the Dungy's and Herm's and Crennel's are terrible head coaches.

He only called plays in 2009.

Brock
12-09-2012, 06:11 PM

Emotion doesn't win 9 games.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I'd much rather have a former defensive coordinator @ HC, and a brilliant offensive mastermind at OC whom the HC leaves the fuck alone.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Kyle Shanahan isn't leaving anywhere to be anything other than a HC.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 06:15 PM
the league is about offense

I want a GM that realizes that, a coach that specializes in that, and a separate guy who runs the defense.

-King-
12-09-2012, 06:16 PM
I'd much rather have a former defensive OC @ HC, and a brilliant offensive mastermind at OC whom the HC leaves the fuck alone.

:spock: The fuck is this shit?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-09-2012, 06:17 PM
:spock: The fuck is this shit?

LMAO
Yeah, I had to correct that...

Chief Roundup
12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Fair enough.

Just my preference as a Madden guru/offense guy.

I've been known to be wrong before.

A video game influences your real life thoughts about football?

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Sure.

It has also made me a better clock manager than just about any coach in the NFL.

tk13
Emotion doesn't win 9 games.

That's true. The AFC is terrible too. That's part of it. But still it's a unique situation. He's not a bad coach but I don't understand how this board became so obsessed with him. Andrew Luck doesn't come with him if we hire him.

kcpasco
McCarthy does just fine at calling his own plays

tk13
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM

How long have you been on ChiefsPlanet?

Sweet Daddy Hate
Sure.

It has also made me a better clock manager than just about any coach in the NFL.

ROFL

milkman
the league is about offense

I want a GM that realizes that, a coach that specializes in that, and a separate guy who runs the defense.

Wjen it comes down to the biggest game, the team in the SB with the best defense wins it.

The league isn't all about offense when the playoffs start.

This is why the Giants have won two SBs.

This is why the Saints won against the Colts.

This is why the Patriots beat the Rams.

The list goes on and on.

Chief Roundup
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Sure.

Can't tell if serious. Surely not.

Chief Roundup
12-09-2012, 06:23 PM
How long have you been on ChiefsPlanet?

ROFL

Evidently there is some inside info that I missed out on.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
:spock: He's doing just fine in Indy as well. He's never been a head coach, and discipline will not be an issue. Oh, and he's a Steelers way guy. Clark would love him. I could see him and Polian in KC within the next couple of months. I don't think I'd cry and I'm not a fan of Polian.

Arians has only beaten one team over .500. A Green Bay team that was struggling at the time. It's funny, because when the Chiefs did the same exact thing in 2010, we did everything we could to say it was all because of the easy schedule. Still say that to this day.

The fact is, Arians has been unbelievably lucky to have been OC for two of the best QB talents in the game. Big Ben and Luck were going to make an OC a star regardless of who that person was.

He's likely not going to have that kind of special talent in KC. And there are plenty of red flags about the way he coached Pittsburgh that say absolutely no way.

He's a 60 year old coach that is getting mad props for coaching his way out of a tough emotional situation, but all the while has won a lot of games behind a weak schedule and a once-in-a-generation QB. Good for him. He's going to be an average coach in a different situation.

tk13
12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Evidently there is some inside info that I missed out on.

It was a joke. There are a ton of half brained ideas that get spit out on message boards that would be better off on Madden.

unnecessary drama
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Wjen it comes down to the biggest game, the team in the SB with the best defense wins it.

The league isn't all about offense when the playoffs start.

This is why the Giants have won two SBs.

This is why the Saints won against the Colts.

This is why the Patriots beat the Rams.

The list goes on and on.

I just simply disagree. Maybe 10 years ago.

The league is all about offense now. Defense didn't make Welker drop that ball that lost the game for the Pats last year.

tk13
12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Maybe 10 years from now it'll be total arena ball, but defense still has importance in the playoffs. Look at how last year everyone was all up on the Packers and Saints jock because of their record offenses and they both didn't even make it to the NFC title game. The teams that could play defense and rush the passer took them out.

Mainly because you get down to the end and both teams have franchise QBs. It helps to be able to rush the passer to neutralize the other guy.

Easy 6
12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Before commenting, i just want to digest what seattle did today.

That was a Clubber Lang-like beating, O fight left.

But Cowher + Whiz... i could maybe deal with that.

milkman
12-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Before commenting, i just want to digest what seattle did today.

That was a Clubber Lang-like beating, O fight left.

But Cowher + Whiz... i could maybe deal with that.

I'd rather have Chan Gailey back at OC than Whizenhunt.

unnecessary drama
Maybe 10 years from now it'll be total arena ball, but defense still has importance in the playoffs. Look at how last year everyone was all up on the Packers and Saints jock and they both didn't even make it to the NFC title game. The teams that could play defense and rush the passer took them out.

Sure.

I don't necessarily disagree.

I think it's 50/50. Last year our final four was the Pats, Ravens, Giants and 49ers.

50/50

Personally...I think the league is definitely swinging towards offense though.

chiefzilla1501
ChiefZilla still beating the hilarious "Arians is overrated" tripe.

Talk to any Steelers' fan who knows their shit. The Steelers succeeded because of Big Ben a lot more than because of Arians.

We want a head coach who is tough and will hold our players accountable. Nobody can look at the way he handled Big Ben and think that's the model for how we want all 53 of our players to be handled. Big Ben became a prima donna and everyone from the owner to the coaches to his teammates wanted Arians out because of the way he enabled it.

-King-
12-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Talk to any Steelers' fan who knows their shit. The Steelers succeeded because of Big Ben a lot more than because of Arians.

We want a head coach who is tough and will hold our players accountable. Nobody can look at the way he handled Big Ben and think that's the model for how we want all 53 of our players to be handled. Big Ben became a prima donna and everyone from the owner to the coaches to his teammates wanted Arians out because of the way he enabled it.

Link.

tk13
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Arians is actually a pretty straight shooter. The Colts players have complimented him about how straightforward he is. If you suck, he will tell you that you suck. I don't think he's really much of an enabler.

milkman
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I just simply disagree. Maybe 10 years ago.

The league is all about offense now. Defense didn't make Welker drop that ball that lost the game for the Pats last year.

One play.

The Patriot offense, that was scoring points at a pinball machine pace in the regular season was held to 17 points in the SB.

-King-
12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported after the regular season that Mike Tomlin wanted to retain offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

The Steelers and Tomlin never denied these reports. Two weeks later, the Steelers forced Arians to “retire.” Arians quickly found work with the Colts.
LMAO

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/did-mike-tomlin-want-to-hire-todd-haley/

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Link.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118613-ed-hines-ward-explains-arians-firing
Direct quote from Hines Ward:
"Well, sometimes I think when you get so close, partiality sets it, and you don't know if Bruce Arians is doing what's best for the Steelers or if he's doing what's best for Ben Roethlisberger. And I think that set in. And they had to part ways, because when you go out there and you can't decide what's best for the team, and you're doing what's best for the player, sometimes it can be a problem."

And it was no secret that Rooney and Tomlin wanted Arians out, but that Big Ben pleaded to let Arians stay.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 06:37 PM
LMAO

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/did-mike-tomlin-want-to-hire-todd-haley/

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/03/coach-tomlin-says-he-made-steelers-calls-on-firinghiring/1#.UMU8uGB22k0
"Football is about change. He (Arians) served us well, and he's a really good football coach. I thought it was time for a change," said Tomlin.

Did Rooney II tell him to make the change, as has been speculated?

"He didn't," said Tomlin. "I don't know where some of these perceptions come from. I don't break my neck and try to combat them in any way. I don't know where they come from, I don't. And I hired Todd Haley as well. Was that your next question?"

Easy 6
12-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I'd rather have Chan Gailey back at OC than Whizenhunt.

It IS very hard to make a case for him beyond his steeler years.

The cards flat quit on him and their QB X.

Hmm, somehow sounds familiar...

-King-
12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118613-ed-hines-ward-explains-arians-firing
"Well, sometimes I think when you get so close, partiality sets it, and you don't know if Bruce Arians is doing what's best for the Steelers or if he's doing what's best for Ben Roethlisberger. And I think that set in. And they had to part ways, because when you go out there and you can't decide what's best for the team, and you're doing what's best for the player, sometimes it can be a problem."

And it was no secret that Rooney and Tomlin wanted Arians out, but that Big Ben pleaded to let Arians stay.

That quote doesn't say shit about the players wanting him out or the coaches wanting him out.

I agree Rooney wanted him out, but other than that...

milkman
12-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Did you see the post just before this one.

Just stfu dumbass.

I don't even want Arian.

But you are a fucking clueless mutherfucker.

Brock
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Right, and Todd haley was brought in so Ben wouldn't get hurt.

Sorter
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM
If Pioli's retained, our "sleeper" is McD.

:(

milkman
12-09-2012, 06:41 PM
It IS very hard to make a case for him beyond his steeler years.

The cards flat quit on him and their QB X.

Hmm, somehow sounds familiar...

Gailey actually got something out of a sorryass QB named Tyler Thigpen.

I would love to see what he could accomplish with Geno Smith.

mcaj22
12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
if Arians is an enabler to a QB by giving him a big head/massive ego and that gets us to Super Bowls like the Steelers did then I dont care what coach or owner hates, as a Chiefs fan, Ill take it.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
That quote doesn't say shit about the players wanting him out or the coaches wanting him out.

I agree Rooney wanted him out, but other than that...

Hines Ward's comments are pretty powerful given that he has no incentive to hide the truth. And it's not like it was a secret that Big Ben was growing increasingly unpopular in the locker room. And it was also no secret how close Arians and Big Ben were -- that's the most obvious of them all. Not just close friends, they were BFFs.

You might be right on Tomlin. But the Rooneys and the players... The players were growing sour on Big Ben and it was largely because of what a diva he was becoming. And it's because Arians gave Big Ben everything he asked for.

Brock
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
LOL at Hines Ward implying that any other player is a prima donna.

mcaj22
12-09-2012, 06:53 PM
yea Hines Ward the guy that went on Dancing with the Stars to boost his own brand and then cried when the team was going to cut/trade him so he retired to save face

yea ultimate team guy that Hines Ward.

Chief77
12-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Couple sleepers i would consider Mike McCoy and Will Muschamp. McCoy would that young offensive mind, and would have a good knowledge of the best team in the divisions roster. Muschamp has done a good job at Florida.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 06:54 PM
if Arians is an enabler to a QB by giving him a big head/massive ego and that gets us to Super Bowls like the Steelers did then I dont care what coach or owner hates, as a Chiefs fan, Ill take it.

The Steelers offense was much more about Big Ben than Arians. Lots of OCs could have coordinated a terrific Steelers offense behind Big Ben. Haley isn't even a mastermind, and he's getting a lot more production out of his offense than Arians with less talent (even if the record doesn't show it).

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Whines Hard has the inside scoop on prima donnas!!!!

mcaj22
12-09-2012, 06:55 PM
The Steelers offense was much more about Big Ben than Arians. Lots of OCs could have coordinated a terrific Steelers offense behind Big Ben. Haley isn't even a mastermind, and he's getting a lot more production out of his offense than Arians with less talent (even if the record doesn't show it).

but the record DOESNT show it. They are terrible for a reason, because at the end of the day it comes down to wins. So your argument is invalid.

Brock
12-09-2012, 06:56 PM
"Bruce Arians has informed me he will retire from coaching" - Mike Tomlin

But yeah, let's listen to anything the steelers have to say about him.

NJChiefsFan
12-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Can't tell if serious. Surely not.

There are actually some coaches in the league that need some major work on clock management. Like high school level bad. Madden would actually do them some good I think. I wouldn't say I know more than most NFL coaches, but I don't think its that insane to think that it really helps. Either way NFL coaches make some pretty damn stupid decisions sometimes. I still can't get over Fisher calling the timeout in the SF game. Cost them the win.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 07:03 PM
but the record DOESNT show it. They are terrible for a reason, because at the end of the day it comes down to wins. So your argument is invalid.

The Steelers' defense is a shell of what it once was. They've played with injuries to as many as three of their top RBs. They played three games without their elite QB. And they've been playing with usually about 2-3 offensive linemen out or banged up.

In spite of that, Big Ben was on pace to have the most productive season of his career until the Chiefs game, when he got hurt. And the Steelers' arrow pointing up.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Whines Hard has the inside scoop on prima donnas!!!!

I don't know how it could possibly be a hard sell that Big Ben had become a diva in Pittsburgh. Do I seriously have to build this case?

milkman
12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't know how it could possibly be a hard sell that Big Ben had become a diva in Pittsburgh. Do I seriously have to build this case?

Please don't.

You're wasting our time.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I duno if it's a Q...but if Pioli is retained and Crennel resigns, prepare yourselves...

-PFT-

Josh McDaniels could be closing in on his second chance as a head coach

Posted by Mike Florio on December 9, 2012, 6:45 PM EST

AP
In his first stint as a head coach, things didn’t go very well for Josh McDaniels. Hired by the Broncos in 2009, he was fired during the 2010 season.

At first, things were looking good for McDaniels, leading the team to a 6-0 start that included a fist-pumping win over his mentor, Bill Belichick.

Unlike other Belichick pupils who went elsewhere and failed, McDaniels’ road led back to Foxboro, where he is serving as offensive coordinator a year after having that same job in St. Louis. Now, as the 2013 coaching carousel approaches, McDaniels’ name is bubbling back onto the list of potential head-coaching candidates.

The first rumor that has landed on our radar screen links McDaniels to Cleveland. Coincidentally, that’s where Belichick ultimately failed as a first-time NFL head coach, before becoming regarded as one of the best ever in New England. As the rumor goes, McDaniels and G.M. Mike Lombardi would come to the Browns as a package deal.

A native of nearby Canton, it’s unclear how McDaniels would be received by Browns fans. The local media already has been bristling at the notion that Lombardi could supplant G.M. Tom Heckert.

And with plenty of coaching jobs expected to be available this season, McDaniels could be lured elsewhere. Perhaps he’d be interested in coaching up Cam Newton, if the Carolina job is open. Or perhaps McDaniels would be willing to work with likely front-office chiefs Jimmy Raye and John Spanos in San Diego, if that also means working with Philip Rivers.

Jacksonville remains an intriguing possibility for McDaniels, given that he could then try to reunite with the quarterback he selected in the first round of the 2010 draft. (You know, the guy in the picture with McDaniels?)

Either way, McDaniels could soon be once again in demand as a head coach, which would make him one of the few members of the FFCA for whom NFL owners may clamor.

milkman
12-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I duno if it's a Q...but if Pioli is retained and Crennel resigns, prepare yourselves...

-PFT-

Posted by Mike Florio on December 9, 2012, 6:45 PM EST

AP
In his first stint as a head coach, things didn’t go very well for Josh McDaniels. Hired by the Broncos in 2009, he was fired during the 2010 season.

At first, things were looking good for McDaniels, leading the team to a 6-0 start that included a fist-pumping win over his mentor, Bill Belichick.

Unlike other Belichick pupils who went elsewhere and failed, McDaniels’ road led back to Foxboro, where he is serving as offensive coordinator a year after having that same job in St. Louis. Now, as the 2013 coaching carousel approaches, McDaniels’ name is bubbling back onto the list of potential head-coaching candidates.

The first rumor that has landed on our radar screen links McDaniels to Cleveland. Coincidentally, that’s where Belichick ultimately failed as a first-time NFL head coach, before becoming regarded as one of the best ever in New England. As the rumor goes, McDaniels and G.M. Mike Lombardi would come to the Browns as a package deal.

A native of nearby Canton, it’s unclear how McDaniels would be received by Browns fans. The local media already has been bristling at the notion that Lombardi could supplant G.M. Tom Heckert.

And with plenty of coaching jobs expected to be available this season, McDaniels could be lured elsewhere. Perhaps he’d be interested in coaching up Cam Newton, if the Carolina job is open. Or perhaps McDaniels would be willing to work with likely front-office chiefs Jimmy Raye and John Spanos in San Diego, if that also means working with Philip Rivers.

Jacksonville remains an intriguing possibility for McDaniels, given that he could then try to reunite with the quarterback he selected in the first round of the 2010 draft. (You know, the guy in the picture with McDaniels?)

Either way, McDaniels could soon be once again in demand as a head coach, which would make him one of the few members of the FFCA for whom NFL owners may clamor.

Any team that would hire Mike Lombardi as GM should be blackballed by it's fans.

Chief Roundup
12-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Gailey actually got something out of a sorryass QB named Tyler Thigpen.

I would love to see what he could accomplish with Geno Smith.

Gailey ran the pistol option spread offense here similar to what the Shanahan duo is running in Washington with RG3.

There were definitely things to like about Gailey. He could make chicken salad out of chicken shit that is for sure.

O.city
12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
The more I read about him, the more I like David Shaw and the DC from SF whose name escapes me.

But, I feel like Clark is gonna go get someone to try and reel the fans back in quick.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-09-2012, 07:27 PM
The more I read about him, the more I like David Shaw and the DC from SF whose name escapes me.

But, I feel like Clark is gonna go get someone to try and reel the fans back in quick.

http://chiefconcerns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Marty-Coach.jpg

O.city
12-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Scary as it is, I could see Clark reaching and hiring Marty as the GM. Hopefully the hell not, but crazier things have happened.

Hell at this point I really wouldn't care for things to go back to the way they were in the 90's. It sucked getting your heart ripped out like we seemed to always do, but atleast we were competitive.

I can't/don't even enjoy watching the Chiefs anymore. It's a circus.

milkman
12-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Clark is going to hire a GM first, who will then hire the next HC.

I think he (Clark) did that "reel the fans back in" hire last time with Pioli.

I think he's going to spend more time researching the next hire.

notorious
12-09-2012, 07:31 PM

-PFT-

Hell, there were a few of us saying this last year.

JohnnyHammersticks
12-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Whisenhunt's terrible weakness is that he can't evaluate talent. He can coach a team if somebody builds a good one for him, he just can't build a team. He made it to the SB with talent that had been assembled by Dennis Green, who was way underrated when it came to evaluating talent. He might have been kind of a trainwreck as HC, but not many can evaluate talent like Dennis Green.

O.city
12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Clark is going to hire a GM first, who will then hire the next HC.

I think he (Clark) did that "reel the fans back in" hire last time with Pioli.

I think he's going to spend more time researching the next hire.

I just can't believe how bad things have gotten. Here in KC, people don't give two shits anymore about the Chiefs.

Pioli was obviously the wrong choice. Nothing the guy has done has been the right move.

I hope we get this next hire correct, because it's an even bigger hire than the 09 choices were.

notorious
12-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Fuck it. We've hit rock bottom.

Might as well swing for the fences, because if we fail on the next GM/HC at least we will have some talent on the team from high draft picks. (Hopefully)

crazycoffey
12-09-2012, 07:43 PM

so only offense wins games?

Rausch
12-09-2012, 08:02 PM
so only offense wins games?

You look over the last 10 years and defense doesn't win super bowls - QB's do.

And I'm as big a defense homer as there is...

crazycoffey
12-09-2012, 08:30 PM
You look over the last 10 years and defense doesn't win super bowls - QB's do.

And I'm as big a defense homer as there is...

But his debate was that the difference between a good steeler's season and a bad season rested wholly on Ben's performance and what the OC got from Ben. I agree the final edge is going to go to the QB, but it's a team sport, and Manning is a prime example. OC on the field, one of the best QBs ever and only one Superbowl. QBs don't win alone, a solid team with a great QB can win, but it's still a team sport.

Rausch
12-09-2012, 08:35 PM
But his debate was that the difference between a good steeler's season and a bad season rested wholly on Ben's performance and what the OC got from Ben.

I hate to make excuses but they've been decimated by injuries.

S, CB, QB, HB, OL, you name it.

crazycoffey
12-09-2012, 08:40 PM
I hate to make excuses but they've been decimated by injuries.

S, CB, QB, HB, OL, you name it.

again, not just on Ben's or the OC shoulders.

KCChiefsFan88
12-09-2012, 10:25 PM
My first choice would be David Shaw.

My sleeper candidate might be Marc Trestman.

JFC you are a dumbshit. Die already you old piece of shit.

Marc Trestman? Seriously?

KCChiefsFan88
12-09-2012, 10:28 PM

Kyle Shanahan would be a great choice.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Kyle Shanahan would be a great choice.

He's 32 years old. The Texans offense has improved since he left.

:shake:

O.city
12-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Speaking of the Texans, who makes most of their personnel decisions? Scouting wise?

something cooler
12-09-2012, 10:33 PM
I actually do like whisenhunt as our HC.

KCChiefsFan88
12-09-2012, 10:37 PM
He's 32 years old. The Texans offense has improved since he left.

:shake:

What does 32 years old have anything to do with it?

Do you agree with Milkjizz's sentiment for hiring a washed up CFL coach in Trestman?

KCChiefsFan88
12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Speaking of the Texans, who makes most of their personnel decisions? Scouting wise?

Rick Smith

Ben N 58men
12-09-2012, 10:38 PM

ROFL

Milkman is fucking losing it.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2012, 10:41 PM
What does 32 years old have anything to do with it?

Do you agree with Milkjizz's sentiment for hiring a washed up CFL coach in Trestman?

He's too young and inexperienced to lead a football team. He hasn't shown to be anything special when he had some nice weapons in Texas (Schaub, Johnson, etc.) and last years Redskins offense was remarkably average. If he needs a superstar like RGIII to succeed, he's not ready, IMO.

I've never been a fan of Trestman. But I have not watched his teams in the CFL, so he may have grown exponentially during his stint, so my opinion of him at this point is neutral.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
ROFL

Milkman is fucking losing it.

What wrong with Trestman, in your opinion?

JCharles1981
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Teams the Chiefs should NO LONGER look to for personnel:

Arizona Cardinals
San Francisco 49ers
Cleveland Browns
New York Jets

Ben N 58men
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM
What wrong with Trestman, in your opinion?

Go look at his history. There's a reason why he's not in the NFL anymore.

JCharles1981
12-09-2012, 11:07 PM
CFL for a new HC? LOL. We tried using a CFL placekicker named Lawrence Tynes last decade. He became mediocre after 3 seasons.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Go look at his history. There's a reason why he's not in the NFL anymore.

I know his history, hence my comments.

What's your problem with Trestman?

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2012, 11:08 PM
CFL for a new HC? LOL. We tried using a CFL placekicker named Lawrence Tynes last decade. He became mediocre after 3 seasons.

Yeah. Those two Super Bowl rings must suck.

Chief Roundup
12-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Teams the Chiefs should NO LONGER look to for personnel:

Arizona Cardinals
San Francisco 49ers
Cleveland Browns
New York Jets

The 49ers have one of the best rosters in the league.

Chief Roundup
12-09-2012, 11:13 PM

Yeah wasn't good enough for some Chiefs fans but he is good enough for a multiple winning SB team to keep.

JCharles1981
12-09-2012, 11:13 PM
The 49ers have one of the best rosters in the league.

All the more reason why the Chiefs won't go after anyone from that team currently unless they are second stringers. The Chiefs tried 3 QB's from SF in the 90's, and two of them did jack squat because they were career backups. Signing Montana was a mistake because in his final season, he went out with a mid-season ending injury.

Sorter
12-09-2012, 11:15 PM
All the more reason why the Chiefs won't go after anyone from that team currently unless they are second stringers. The Chiefs tried 3 QB's from SF in the 90's, and two of them did jack squat because they were career backups. Signing Montana was a mistake because in his final season, he went out with a mid-season ending injury.

http://i49.tinypic.com/287k9le.jpg

JCharles1981

Well, considering that Tynes wasn't the key factor in the 2 SB's the Giants ended up winning with Eli Manning as QB, I wouldn't give him too much credit.

ChiefsCountry
Signing Montana was a mistake because in his final season, he went out with a mid-season ending injury.

Must have been a ghost of Montana that played in that playoff game against Miami in 1994 then.

Please quit posting here you are a total idiot.

NJChiefsFan
12-09-2012, 11:16 PM

Interdasting.

DaneMcCloud
12-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Well, considering that Tynes wasn't the key factor in the 2 SB's the Giants ended up winning with Eli Manning as QB, I wouldn't give him too much credit.

The Giants won Super Bowl 41 by THREE POINTS.

The Giants won Super Bowl 46 by four points. Tynes not only made all of his extra point attempts, he hit two field goals in the third quarter, which accounted for six point.

Sorter
12-09-2012, 11:27 PM

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y364/bauer1987/joshrayperson.gif

Brock
12-09-2012, 11:29 PM

The fuck? He kicked a long field goal to win the playoff game in Green Bay.

Chocolate Hog
12-09-2012, 11:56 PM
It's going to be hard to get Shaw since Stanford is his alma mater.

If we're going for a guy who hasn't been a NFL HC Shaw is my first choice but Mike McCoy wouldn't be a bad choice either. I really like how he's been able to adjust offenses plus he's a disciplinarian. Two things this team is sorely lacking.

crazycoffey
12-09-2012, 11:58 PM

hey, he's like the bill belichick of canadian football. That's a step up from the Arena football we used to be accustomed to.

Crush
12-10-2012, 01:48 AM

There is so much fucking FAIL in this post, I don't know where to begin. JFC. Go back in time and have your mom cock-guzzle some antifreeze.

Predarat
12-10-2012, 08:12 AM
the first thing they need to do is get polly outta there, without that everything else is just Bantha Fodder.

King_Chief_Fan
12-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Wisenhunt? seriously?

There is no reason to think anyone will coach the team next year other than Crennel. Wait and see.....Crennel, Daboll, Pioli and Quinn, all are Chiefs next year

Brock
12-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Wisenhunt? seriously?

There is no reason to think anyone will coach the team next year other than Crennel. Wait and see.....Crennel, Daboll, Pioli and Quinn, all are Chiefs next year

ROFL

Pestilence
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
GM = http://www.footballnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tom_gamble.jpg

HC = http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/788/061/124637658_display_image.jpg?1326301012