PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you get a Christmas bonus?

mr. tegu
12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
I just got a pretty decent Christmas bonus that I was not expecting. So I am wondering how many of you get those. If not, did you used to get one?

bevischief
12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Nope never got one.

listopencil
12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Yup.

HolyHat
12-13-2012, 11:29 AM
http://cdn1.hark.com/images/000/441/542/441542/original.jpg

Rain Man
12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
We have a regular quarterly bonus system, of which one is in December. The size depends on how well the company did the previous quarter. It could be zero, or it could be large.

GloryDayz
Yep... But it's MINE!!!

Oh shit, no it's not! GDI!!

Grim
We used to get annual bonuses and they'd also give us a couple hundred bucks for XMas but that stopped years ago. I doubt we'll see them again here.

King_Chief_Fan
12-13-2012, 11:32 AM
no Christmas bonus but a very nice annual bonus tied to business results and indivdual effort to help achieve results.

It is big enough I don't need a Christmas bonus

mr. tegu
12-13-2012, 11:33 AM

That is the gift that keeps on giving.

Bweb
12-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Nope...work in education.

However, I do consider the 3 weeks off at christmas a "bonus"! :)

BigCatDaddy
12-13-2012, 11:34 AM
1 weeks pay.

mr. tegu
12-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Nope...work in education.

However, I do consider the 3 weeks off at christmas a "bonus"! :)

Yeah that is pretty sweet, especially if you get paid for it.

DJ's left nut
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
We just approved ours.

The damn things are expensive. This is the first year where I've been part of deciding what it will be and had full knowledge of our expenses, etc... and as it turns out we're going to drop 1/3 of a payroll period on these bonuses. And that's with none of our part-time staff getting one (just the full-time staff).

I was the asshole in the room trying to dial them back a bit. For a small business, dropping $15K just for grins is a hell of a hit, especially when we also spend another 10K on the annual Christmas party.

Oh well. It was over my objection, but I still get one. So by God, I'm getting my damn Beretta.

Dartgod
12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Nope. We get an annual bonus right around Thanksgiving though.

ModSocks
12-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I use to. It's been about 3 years since ive seen one. It's hard enough just to pay the bills at the shop, let alone any bonuses.

luv
12-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Depends on how well the attorneys in the office are doing. One attorney (that I don't work for a whole lot) got a huge payment in from a long running probate estate client. His paralegal got a cut of that as an incentive bonus for doing most of the legwork on it. However, it doesn't appear that we will be getting Christmas bonuses. I did get one last year, though.

tooge
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't, but I give each one of my employees $100 at the Christmas party

A Salt Weapon
12-13-2012, 11:48 AM
We get a Christmas bonus right after Thanksgiving. It's fairly substantial ( about 10-15% of my annual salary) It cover's all of our families costs for the month of December, including Christmas presents and standard monthly expenses as well.

SAUTO
12-13-2012, 12:01 PM
only if i work harder.

the guys get one though. a weeks pay

ChiTown
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
We give them out to our key contributors. Guys that make $100-150K/YR in salary generally take home $25-35K X-Mas bonuses.

Sadly, as an Owner, I don't qualify. Shit, I (nor any of the other Partners) haven't taken any sort of bonus or dividend out of the company in the 8 years since I've started this thing.

mr. tegu
12-13-2012, 12:10 PM
We give them out to our key contributors. Guys that make $100-150K/YR in salary generally take home $25-35K X-Mas bonuses.

Sadly, as an Owner, I don't qualify. Shit, I (nor any of the other Partners) haven't taken any sort of bonus or dividend out of the company in the 8 years since I've started this thing.

Dang, what business are you in? That is a hefty bonus to be able to give out.

kc rush
12-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Don't know. This is my first year with this company. My last company didn't, but the one before that gave out $100 for every year of employment.

Bugeater
12-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I did get a fairly decent one considering I've only been with my current employer for a little over a month. What's funny is my former employer was far more financially better off but they didn't give out squat.

Rausch
12-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Back in the day when I worked the pizza place part time we'd get a glass of expensive scotch/whiskey if we worked Christmas (at the time we were 1 of 3 places open.)

seclark
12-13-2012, 12:19 PM
nope, but that's ok cause i'm a naughty bastard.
sec

KC_Lee
12-13-2012, 12:21 PM
When I worked for small family owned companies I did.

When I switched and started working for a larger corporation I did not.

Sucks.

Frosty
12-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I was the asshole in the room trying to dial them back a bit. For a small business, dropping $15K just for grins is a hell of a hit, especially when we also spend another 10K on the annual Christmas party.

If I worked for your company, I would rather have the bonus than the expensive Christmas party. In case you ever have to make that choice.

Oh well. It was over my objection, but I still get one. So by God, I'm getting my damn Beretta.

Um... ok.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/1990_Chevy_Beretta_Indy_Pace_Car_Replica.jpg/800px-1990_Chevy_Beretta_Indy_Pace_Car_Replica.jpg

:D

DaKCMan AP
12-13-2012, 12:48 PM
I've never received a Chanukah bonus.

Prison Bitch
12-13-2012, 01:12 PM
No. Frankly, I'm lucky to have a job this winter after losing mine earlier in the Fall. It's really hard out there to find good work. I feel for those still searching.

DJ's left nut
12-13-2012, 01:15 PM
If I worked for your company, I would rather have the bonus than the expensive Christmas party. In case you ever have to make that choice.

Yeah, but everyone gets to go to the party, not everybody gets a bonus. For the part time staff, the bonus would be fairly de minimis. If it's giving them $50 or having a party where we have raffles for a couple of nice televisions as well as a dessert competition where we'll have prizes, etc..., our part time staff has generally sided with the party.

And there's no way I could justify springing for the Pace Car edition. C'mon, man - that would just be extravagant.

gblowfish
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Hell No, we've never gotten Christmas bonuses. Our company has laid one employee off and made one go "independent contractor" in the last 60 days. We have less than 10 employees total. They didn't even have a Christmas party for us this year, we have to plan our own pot luck (which we did), and it will be better than some schmooze fest at Houlihan's or whatever anyway. I'm on vacation soon till after New Years. Can't wait to take off.

Rausch
12-13-2012, 01:17 PM

That's shady.

You should sue.

I'm sure you know a good lawyer...:evil:

KurtCobain
12-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I did get a fairly decent one considering I've only been with my current employer for a little over a month. What's funny is my former employer was far more financially better off but they didn't give out squat.

so does the Christmas bonus that finally made you make your mind up

Molitoth
12-13-2012, 01:22 PM
I get an excellent performance based bonus every year but it doesn't show up in my bank account until April.

For Christmas, the company typically gives out like $25 gift certs to Sam's Club/Walmart.

Frosty
12-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah, but everyone gets to go to the party, not everybody gets a bonus. For the part time staff, the bonus would be fairly de minimis. If it's giving them $50 or having a party where we have raffles for a couple of nice televisions as well as a dessert competition where we'll have prizes, etc..., our part time staff has generally sided with the party.

That makes sense. I forgot about the riff-raff, I mean - part time employees.

And there's no way I could justify springing for the Pace Car edition. C'mon, man - that would just be extravagant.

Yeah, but check out that hot teal paint with the pink accents. Pretty tough to pass up.

DJ's left nut
12-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Groundlings, Frosty.

They prefer to be called groundlings.

Frosty
12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Groundlings, Frosty.

They prefer to be called groundlings.

Because they've been ground under the heel of "the man"?

siberian khatru
12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
For the last few years we've received $50 gift cards to Publix, which buys my traditional prime rib Christmas dinner.

CrazyPhuD
12-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Does a Christmas hummer count?

Hammock Parties
12-13-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure. Last year I got an extra few hundred bucks that I wasn't expecting. So maybe. I don't look gift horses in the mouth so...I didn't ask about it. :D

Rasputin
12-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I got a coupon for $10.00 off for a ham or turkey.

Rausch
12-13-2012, 04:12 PM

Been there...

Iowanian
12-13-2012, 04:18 PM

I give my guys a Chanukah bonus.....but it has to last 7 years.

Rausch
12-13-2012, 04:23 PM
I give my guys a Chanukah bonus.....but it has to last 7 years.

Is it propane or heating oil?...

Iowanian
12-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Do you send your company/boss a thank you note in return?

oldman
12-13-2012, 04:26 PM
The company I spent most of my career with never gave a Christmas bonus to anyone. I guess they thought retaining you for the next pay period was enough. Before they got all PC, we did have some hellish Christmas parties, however :)

1ChiefsDan
12-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Since I was laid off in May, I don't even get a paycheck. :banghead:

ChiTown
12-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Heh, nope.

The coolest gift I got was last year. We gave the GM of Sales (who busted his ass all year long), a 50% bonus, which amounted to about $65K. He did an amazing job for us. After getting the news, the guy took a vacation day, drove from STL to Wichita to thank me in person. He showed up at my office, told me that they had just found out his wife had Breast Cancer, and that the money would go a long way helping out in their process. Not kidding you, we both started crying throughout the conversation. Just a neat experience, and I was glad that we were in a position to reward him for his success, and subsequently help him and his Family out. He earned it, and I got to share in the emotional part of the reward.

Rausch
12-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Since I was laid off in May, I don't even get a paycheck. :banghead:

Sure you do...:evil:

ChiTown
12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Dang, what business are you in? That is a hefty bonus to be able to give out.

We sell products and Services that go in to the Oil & Gas Industry

Demonpenz
12-13-2012, 05:10 PM
giftcard to service merchidise.

loochy
No. Giant corporations don't do that sort of thing.

Demonpenz

basically sells donger semen

ChiTown
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
basically sells donger semen

This:D

Bugeater
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
so does the Christmas bonus that finally made you make your mind up
Huh?

displacedinMN
12-13-2012, 05:15 PM
No and I never will. I teach. No bonuses, no perks like phones,
Yes, I get summers off-but I need it after trying to get kids interested in school and breaking up fights with 8th graders that are bigger than me.

Chiefaholic
12-13-2012, 05:24 PM
I thought we would with the larger than projected increase in sales. Unfortunately we were told today that none of the blue collar employees will get a Christmas bonus. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have a job. But, it sucks when you're expecting a little something extra this time of the year.

TribalElder
12-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Nope, no bonus. One of those 65k bonuses would be nice though :).

mr. tegu
12-13-2012, 10:01 PM

You guys need a counselor? I could use a 100k salary and a 25k bonus. I will be your best salesperson...selling mental health!

memyselfI
12-14-2012, 09:40 AM
WTF is that?

RockChalk
12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
giftcard to service merchidise.

This made me laugh. Remember going to Service Merch off of Metcalf as a kid

RockChalk
12-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Heh, nope.

The coolest gift I got was last year. We gave the GM of Sales (who busted his ass all year long), a 50% bonus, which amounted to about $65K. He did an amazing job for us. After getting the news, the guy took a vacation day, drove from STL to Wichita to thank me in person. He showed up at my office, told me that they had just found out his wife had Breast Cancer, and that the money would go a long way helping out in their process. Not kidding you, we both started crying throughout the conversation. Just a neat experience, and I was glad that we were in a position to reward him for his success, and subsequently help him and his Family out. He earned it, and I got to share in the emotional part of the reward.

That is a cool story. Although money is nice, having that guy drive down, thank you and share that emotional experience with you was probably just as good as any bonus you might have received.

ChiTown
12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
That is a cool story. Although money is nice, having that guy drive down, thank you and share that emotional experience with you was probably just as good as any bonus you might have received.

It was better.

I've made my money in life. Now, I'm just looking for things that can make a difference and make me happy. That experience certainly fits the bill.

CaliforniaChief
12-14-2012, 09:59 AM
I do get one, and it should be arriving soon. Only time all year I enjoy checking the mailbox.

okoye35chiefs
12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
I get stocks in Sept and Bonus in April so technically no x-mas bonus... BUT..

at the annual gag me with a spoon x-mas party we get a new fleece with the company's logo on it!

Nzoner
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I own my own business,my only bonus is that I do get an extended holiday leave but the taxes due by December 31st always put a damper on the time off.

Bwana
12-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Heh, I do the same thing and had a great year. I also learned the owner is giving out the usual $50 bonus again this year. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/images/smilies/emot-jerkit.gif

Oh well, like I said, I had one hell of a year, so it's not a big deal.

I think I'll also going to explore some new opportunities in the same industry around here next year. It doesn't matter who you're working for as long as you have to relationships within the industries.

I get offered jobs all the time out there from refineries, mines and coal fire power plants, but I love to sell and solve problems. I don't like the direction my company is heading and there are some signs I don't like.

There is talk of having me do some inside sales as well as outside, not my thing. One of the inside guys is a complete fuck up. Sad story, fire him get someone else in there. Im not a desk jockey, not my style. I also think the owner is going to shut the doors one of these days and just retire out of the blue.

Bottom line it's time to be proactive.

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I pay myself so no. Have a good friend who is waving her 92k Christmas bonus in my face though. Pretty cool, for her.

DJ's left nut
12-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Oh FFS...that is not a Christmas bonus. Nor are those 15% of your annual salary numbers.

Those are deferred compensation and/or performance bonuses. If a business can afford to drop another 1/6 of it's annual payroll on bonuses every December, then shouldn't it just be parsing that out to the employees over the course of the year in the form of increased pay?

I think that takes the bonus concept way too far. A Christmas bonus is designed as a gift, something to help your employees through an expensive time of the year. When it's 15% of your take home, that's not a gift - those employees absolutely counted on that. It's therefore not a bonus, but rather flat out compensation.

I know, that's probably too 'humbug' for a Christmas bonus thread. My bad.

DJ's left nut
12-14-2012, 11:22 AM

I didn't prior to this year. Now that I'm kinda responsible for giving them out, I've noticed that many people do and I feel like a bit of a dick.

So yeah, if you get a Christmas bonus, I'd pretty highly recommend sending the thank you card. As I've gotten to see more and more of the other side of the desk, I've learned that the folks that are giving those out really do appreciate the thank you notes in return.

ndws
12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
We get $300 + $10 for every year served...err, I mean employed. The wages aren't bad, so I can't complain.

BigCatDaddy
12-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Enrolled in the jelly of the month club!

Iowanian
12-14-2012, 11:31 AM
I didn't prior to this year. Now that I'm kinda responsible for giving them out, I've noticed that many people do and I feel like a bit of a dick.

So yeah, if you get a Christmas bonus, I'd pretty highly recommend sending the thank you card. As I've gotten to see more and more of the other side of the desk, I've learned that the folks that are giving those out really do appreciate the thank you notes in return.

I went most of my career without anything more than a Christmas card. So I guess that puts me into a mind frame to not expect anything other than my salary by nature and to be thankful for anything I get, even if it's a $50 gift card.

When I started my company, I gave myself the first bonus I'd ever had.....but I worked multiple part time jobs and ridiculous hours the first year while paying myself a small salary so the company could fund itself and grow. The first employees I took on, including some High School and college kids, I gave a couple of hundred bucks.

Today my circumstances aren't the same and I see both sides. Personally, I am thankful for anything I get that recognizes my contributions and I take that opportunity to remind partners that I work hard for them and appreciate what I do get. I see other employees act butt hurt over the size of their bonus, and I think that plays right into the attitude that is wrong today.

Be thankful if you have a good job and a decent salary. Bonuses are great but should never be expected.

If anyone is upset with anything about bonus'.....it should be at the amount the govt takes.

ndws
12-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Enrolled in the jelly of the month club!

Thats the gift that keeps on giving the whole year

Dayze
12-14-2012, 11:45 AM
nope; but in April I was laid off from a job I hated; now have a great job I love, and got a 42% increase in pay with the new one.

...so I'm not bitching lol.

Lumpy
12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I get a decent cash bonus every year. Plus, Mrs. Boss makes homemade chocolates for me. I haven't seen a salary increase in 4 years though. I can thank the Obamalama economy for that one.

(No D.C.)

bevischief
12-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I get a decent cash bonus every year. Plus, Mrs. Boss makes homemade chocolates for me. I haven't seen a salary increase in 4 years though. I can thank the Obamalama economy for that one.

(No D.C.)

What about the full beer fridge?

Lumpy
12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
What about the full beer fridge?

I'm usually the designated beer bitch, so that doesn't count as a bonus.

hometeam
12-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Got mine today, about 700 after taxes. They take a couple bucks from every car you sell throughout the year and match it.

stevieray
12-14-2012, 07:32 PM
yup, it's called just having work.

I'm painting a Boulevard logo at a new sportsbar in Lenexa, and they just hired me to paint their logo on the brick behind the bar...

so, ya, I guess I actually did get a Christmas bonus!

:rockon:

lewdog
12-14-2012, 07:37 PM
No bonus here that I am aware of. However, I am happy to have a good paying job and one that I enjoy. My boss cooked a potluck for all of us therapists on Wednesday, which was a very nice gesture and the food was awesome.

Psyko Tek
12-15-2012, 12:11 AM
my bonus was 2 weeks pay
would have been great for christmas if my car hadn't shelled out the rear end

crazycoffey
12-15-2012, 12:17 AM
whats a bonus? I'd be happy with the day off

12-15-2012, 12:21 AM
What is this Christmas bonus you speak of?