PDA

View Full Version : Life Was there bullying at your high school?

-King-
12-15-2012, 05:47 PM
There's obviously a lot of bully talk the past few months and it's only going to increase after yesterday. So I was trying to think back to my high school days to remember if there was bullying and I honestly don't remember any. Obviously there were fights and people called each other names, but as far as real bullying? Not that I can think of. There were no jocks who just ganged up on nerds. There weren't groups of people who beat up and constantly harassed one kid everyday. None of the stuff you always hear and read about in the media these days.

I can't even think how bullying would have happened at my school. During passing period, there would usually be a few teachers standing at their door just monitoring the hallway so kids wouldn't get picked on there. Hell, there was a gay guy who wore lipstick and lip gloss to school and as long as he didn't hit on any guys, no one gave 2 shits enough to bully him.

I don't know, I may have just been oblivious to it all but I just don't think it happened in my school.

Fruit Ninja
12-15-2012, 05:56 PM
i used to roll with the thugs back then, and to be honest, we wouldnt have let that happened, not to people who really cant defend themselves.

Hell, i beat the shit out of some guy once when i was young for kicking at cat. I wont stand for any kiind of bullying nonsense.

Otter
12-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Middle school was brutal. High school, no.

ZepSinger
12-15-2012, 06:02 PM
There was some at mine (early 70's in Britt IA), but retaliation on the scale seen all too often nowadays was absolutely unthinkable back then.

MichaelH
12-15-2012, 06:02 PM
In my high school, it was the football jocks. They participated in the majority of the bullying.

-King-
12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
In my high school, it was the football jocks. They participated in the majority of the bullying.

That's what I don't get. Were they thought of as cool when they did it?

At my school, there were no cool points to gain from beating up some nerd just because he was a nerd. People would look at you like "WTF are you doing?"

beach tribe
12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
I didn't do it to a huge extent but I did enough to the point of having a lot of guilt about it.
Don't even know if what I did was bullying or rather just being really cruel.
To my credit I apologized to 99% of the people I made fun of later in life and was forgiven for it.
Still feel bad about it though.
I was QB of the HS football team and kind of railed on what I thought were losers back then. I'm the loser for doing it.

Otter
12-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I didn't do it to a huge extent but I did enough to the point of having a lot of guilt about it.
Don't even know if what I did was bullying or rather just being really cruel.
To my credit I apologized to 99% of the people I made fun of later in life and was forgiven for it.
Still feel bad about it though.
I was QB of the HS football team and kind of railed on what I thought were losers back then. I'm the loser for doing it.

I was a twerp until high school and took my share of shit. Filled out one summer (is this getting gay?) and started wrestling and been a computer geek the whole time. I've always been very empathetic to the bully victims.

Count Alex's Wins
12-15-2012, 06:11 PM

This.

I got it pretty bad in grade school.

But I learned to stand up for myself one day when a swirly attempt was made on my head.

theelusiveeightrop
12-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Junior high was worse than high school.

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Hell, yes. Rampant bullying. We bullied each other constantly with whatever means were at our disposal. The strong bullied the weak. The cool bullied the uncool. The beautiful bullied the ugly. The big bullied the small. The smart bullied the dull. The well-off bullied the poor.

Strangely, no one ever got shot.

Brock
12-15-2012, 06:14 PM
It has never not existed. Not so much in hs, but jh for sure.

Easy 6
12-15-2012, 06:14 PM
There was, but nothing really like what we're seeing these days.

It seems that many kids today are very de-sensitized.

KChiefer
12-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Yeah, in middleschool I bullied and was bullied. Became buddies with some of these same people in HS.

There was a lot of Underclassmen hazing my HS though.

Bob Dole
12-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Of course there was, but people didn't whine about it and the media didn't mount a campaign. It was a part of growing up, and you learned to deal with it. But that was before the pussification of America.

BigCatDaddy
12-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Middle schools are horrible. Once the little jackasses get to HS they are small man on campus and don't mess with people. Then they typically drop out or mature and I think that's why bullying in HS's isn't quite a rampant.

unnecessary drama
12-15-2012, 06:18 PM
I went to a smaller high school...the worst that ever happened was seniors against freshmen. The seniors when we were freshmen tried so hard to "bully" us but it didn't really work.

When we were seniors we were nice to the freshmen...especially the girls!!!

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Of course there was, but people didn't whine about it and the media didn't mount a campaign. It was a part of growing up, and you learned to deal with it. But that was before the pussification of America.

Exactly.

Lumpy
12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
There was a group of girls that bullied me pretty much non-stop from 4th grade to 9th. The "leader" of their group was much bigger and was constantly trying to pick fights with me.

Finally, one day in 9th grade, I had enough of her crap and took her ass down. She was taunting me that morning, then at lunch, she walked up to me and started in again. I called her a hoe and told her to stfu then she slapped me. That was all it took. I gave her a right-hook, swept her leg, then pushed her down. When she hit the ground, I started pounding her with my fists. It took the principal and a few teachers to pull me off of her.

I believe she got 1 or 2 weeks suspension. I was back in a few days though because she threw the first punch, plus I had told teachers what was going on prior to the incident. After she returned, she followed me home one day and put a knife to my throat. When my parents heard about that, they pulled me out of that school. Never saw her or the other girls again. Problem was solved.

Planetman
12-15-2012, 06:21 PM
/thread

Count Alex's Wins
12-15-2012, 06:22 PM
After she returned, she followed me home one day and put a knife to my throat.

And today, that girl is Danica Patrick.

stevieray
12-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Dads: Do something about it or STFU.

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Dads: Do something about it or STFU.

Do what? And why?

Otter
12-15-2012, 06:26 PM

And having someone else save your ass as opposed to pulling yourself out and learning the system comes back to bite you in the sooner or later.

Braincase
12-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Yep. Bullying, hazing. Whatever you want to call it, it happened in my school. One kid got killed/hit by a car because it was pretty obvious he was gay. Assholes driving the car weren't aware that he was also blind in his left eye, just thought they were messing with him, and he's jump back/out of the way. Didn't see it coming.

stevieray
12-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Do what?

stick up for yourself?

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
stick up for yourself?

Ohhhhh. You were repeating what our dads said to us. Got it.

I thought you were advocating for dads to do something about the bullying situation.

stevieray
12-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Ohhhhh. You were repeating what our dads said to us. Got it.

I thought you were advocating for dads to do something about the bullying situation.

:thumb:

Otter
12-15-2012, 06:33 PM
There was a group of girls that bullied me pretty much non-stop from 4th grade to 9th. The "leader" of their group was much bigger and was constantly trying to pick fights with me.

Finally, one day in 9th grade, I had enough of her crap and took her ass down. She was taunting me that morning, then at lunch, she walked up to me and started in again. I called her a hoe and told her to stfu then she slapped me. That was all it took. I gave her a right-hook, swept her leg, then pushed her down. When she hit the ground, I started pounding her with my fists. It took the principal and a few teachers to pull me off of her.

I believe she got 1 or 2 weeks suspension. I was back in a few days though because she threw the first punch, plus I had told teachers what was going on prior to the incident. After she returned, she followed me home one day and put a knife to my throat. When my parents heard about that, they pulled me out of that school. Never saw her or the other girls again. Problem was solved.

Powerful! Lumpy layin' out lumps!

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Yep. Bullying, hazing. Whatever you want to call it, it happened in my school. One kid got killed/hit by a car because it was pretty obvious he was gay. Assholes driving the car weren't aware that he was also blind in his left eye, just thought they were messing with him, and he's jump back/out of the way. Didn't see it coming.

He may have been threatened with the car because he was gay, but he got hit by the car because he was blind.

Tough combo.

Lumpy
12-15-2012, 06:48 PM
And today, that girl is Danica Patrick.

LMAO Not hardly.

MOhillbilly
12-15-2012, 06:50 PM
No one has fucked with me past tenth grade.

Gonzo
12-15-2012, 06:50 PM

http://www.acceleratedonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sweep-the-leg-large.jpg

Otter
12-15-2012, 06:53 PM
No one has ****ed with me past tenth grade.

Give me your lunch money Mo or Lumpy is gonna break out the sorting stick on your sorry ass!

Lumpy
12-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Powerful! Lumpy layin' out lumps!

Truth be told, I had taken quite a few lumps over the years from her. She just caught me on a really bad day and I unleashed.

I'm really quite sweet. Honest. o:-)

MOhillbilly
12-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Give me your lunch money Mo or Lumpy is gonna break out the sorting stick on your sorry ass!

Sorting sticks are pretty sorry weapons. Hot shots are more effective.

Otter
12-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Truth be told, I had taken quite a few lumps over the years from her. She just caught me on a really bad day and I unleashed.

I'm really quite sweet. Honest. o:-)

Hell, it looks like even Mo took some shit if that puts things in perspective. Part of growing up.

Gonzo
12-15-2012, 07:05 PM
I grew up Air Force so I changed schools every 1-3 years. When I was in grade school, I dealt with a little bullying, nothing too bad. Then I started high school. I was a short, chubby freshman and I was the new kid. The bigger guys used to bully me a bit, nothing really severe but I got embarrassed quite a bit.
Well, then summer vacation came. I started running and lifting weights. I grew about 4 inches in 3 months too. Next thing you know, I'm 5'10 and 185. All muscle and I was a fast son bitch. My first day I went to gym class and behold, there's my bully.
I walked up to him and I towered over the dip shit. His eyes were like saucers.
"Hey, what's up?"
Next thing he knew, he's got a black eye and he's stuffed in his locker.
That was the only bullying I ever did. A few weeks later he came up to me and said he deserved it and we ended up friends.

I changed schools again and went to a school outside of East St. Louis. It was a predominantly black school so I made friends with the biggest, blackest dude I could find. I never got fucked with, especially after I made the Varsity FB team as a Full Back and back up ILB.

It was funny though, after I shot up in size and packed on some muscle, I made friends with some of the dorkiest nerds because I knew what they were going through. Nobody ever messed with them after that. I think I did that at three different High Schools.

unnecessary drama
12-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I wonder if bullying is more prominent in small schools as opposed to bigger schools?

Otter
12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
I grew up Air Force so I changed schools every 1-3 years. When I was in grade school, I dealt with a little bullying, nothing too bad. Then I started high school. I was a short, chubby freshman and I was the new kid. The bigger guys used to bully me a bit, nothing really severe but I got embarrassed quite a bit.
Well, then summer vacation came. I started running and lifting weights. I grew about 4 inches in 3 months too. Next thing you know, I'm 5'10 and 185. All muscle and I was a fast son bitch. My first day I went to gym class and behold, there's my bully.
"Hey, what's up?"
That was the only bullying I ever did. A few weeks later he came up to me and said he deserved it and we ended up friends.

I changed schools again and went to a school outside of East St. Louis. It was a predominantly black school so I made friends with the biggest, blackest dude I could find. I never got ****ed with, especially after I made the Varsity FB team as a Full Back and back up ILB.

It was funny though, after I shot up in size and packed on some muscle, I made friends with some of the dorkiest nerds because I knew what they were going through. Nobody ever messed with them after that. I think I did that at three different High Schools.

That's how it works out a lot.

I met up with one of the guys who used to torture me in middle school while pumping gas a couple years ago and he was a mean relentless prick. Looked him right in the eye and shook his hand. He looked like he just walked in on his grandma naked working over a vibrator.

Those little twerps from middle school grow up and learn to brawl. Probably partially at least due to being pushed around earlier in life.

Keep that in mind wanna be bullies.

lewdog
12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
"Hey, what's up?"

I changed schools again and went to a school outside of East St. Louis. It was a predominantly black school so I made friends with the biggest, blackest dude I could find. I never got ****ed with, especially after I made the Varsity FB team as a Full Back and back up ILB.

With stories like this it is no wonder why Lumpy fell for you!

All the girls want you.....all the boys want to be you.

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2012, 07:21 PM
All the girls want you.....all the boys want to be you.

Except for one really big black guy in East St. Louis who wanted to marry you.

lewdog
12-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I wonder if bullying is more prominent in small schools as opposed to bigger schools?

I went to the same school for elementary, middle and high school. Small Montana school, 30 kids in my graduating class. I was one of the popular kids and there really weren't clicks since the school was so small. My friends and I always stood up for any kids getting bullied. We even had lunch sometimes with the down syndrome kid or the highly autistic child. I grew up with kids who lived in houses made of mud and straw, poor as dirt. My friends and I always made sure these kids weren't being picked on. I am proud to say I went to school with many people with extremely big hearts. Middle and high school kids who seemed to get the bigger picture. If you didn't like someone you just didn't talk to them, you didn't have to say mean things to them.

scho63
12-15-2012, 07:26 PM
There was bullying in my elementary school

There was bullying in my intermediate school

There was bullying in my high school

We were 99% white kids but that is how school is. Sometimes I was the bully when I was at the older age and then there were times like when I was a freshman that I was bullied.

That is life.....seems like you can't yell at a kid today without a lawsuit, a bunch of detention, and someone like the ACLU jumping in.

Most kids today are big soft wimpy pussies and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

-King-
12-15-2012, 07:55 PM

Think so. My high school had averaged about 1200 students my 4 years.

Baconeater
12-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Of course there was. Kind of a stupid question.

unnecessary drama
12-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I wish I was a hell of a lot nicer from 7-12. I was way more mature from 11-12 when I dated a girl two years younger than me.

I was kind of an asshole. I was never mean to people who couldn't stick up for themselves, but I ridiculed a lot of morons for being morons. Which, in turn, made me a moron.

My best friend to this day was the opposite. He was always nice as can be to everyone. I hope I can teach my kids (if I have kids) to be like him.

I've learned you never really win anything by being an asshole. If you feel the need to be an asshole, just remove yourself from the situation.

I tell you what...if I knew then what I know now...I'd be Colonal Cute Cheeks rather than a Captain.

CoMoChief
12-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Hell I dunno. I was never bullied. Never witnessed any bullying from what I can remember.

DaneMcCloud
There was no bullying in my public elementary schools, none in junior high and definitely none in high school.

In my junior high and high school days, you were either a "Freak" or "Jock". But "Freaks" didn't really fight "Jocks" and vice versa. I can't recall a fight in high school but there were inter-district fights in junior high, like the "toughest kid" from our junior high versus the "toughest kid" in their junior high.

But bullying? No, none that I can recall.

Dayze
yep. I was bullied in middle school a bit. got tired of it aabout midway through the 8th grade; and next time I got bullied in gym class I just hauled off and dropped a dude with a punch.
same shit in HS; onlyt this time i beat the bejuses out of a black 'gangsta' that most were afiad of. He suker punched in completely out of the blue as i exited the cafeteria. I backed up and he was walking away. I yelled "Hey MF where you goin? Hit me with that cheap shot like a bitch....now I'm ready. Let's go'. fighting commenced. I got hit a good few times but ultimately ended up cutting his eye, and putting a bottom tooth through his bottom lip.
By all accounts, I had 'won'. MF never said a word to me ever again. and his locker was right next to mine lol

voila...no more bullying. My old man said it's better to fight to defend yourself and lose, than to do nothing. He's right. Be a victim as long as you let yourself be one.

unnecessary drama
12-15-2012, 08:05 PM
I've never been in a fight.

Can you believe that?

hometeam
12-15-2012, 08:05 PM
yup

KCrockaholic
12-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Not a ton of Bullying necessarily, but some people were completed ignored, and emotionally it probably hurt them quite a bit.

People usually just did their thang, tried to get pussy, and would just flat out ignore the kids they didn't like, or weren't part of the "cool" group.

I didn't bully kids, but I certainly took advantage of a couple of kids a tad smaller than me because they were being giant douchebags.

One time a kid was messing with my GF, so I let him meet the "farm hand". Took care of that real quick. I'm glad he didn't get a concussion though. Just passed out face down for a few seconds. Probably blacked out.

Another kid I trashed in the restroom. Was an annoying little prick. Just pick his Freshman ass up, and shoved him in there. It wasn't typical of me to do. But at some point enough is enough with annoying little pricks.

unnecessary drama
12-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I think we bullied the teachers more than anything...our class was full of pricks.

they called us the class from hell after we flooded the Indianapolis Children's Museum in 7th grade...and we were also the first class to ever force assigned seating in the lunch room in 8th grade (too many stories to even tell)

high school didn't get much better as we used to just torment some of the poor teachers...

I liked high school more than I liked college and I LOVED college. Most people hated high school, or at the very least liked college way more...but not me.

KCrockaholic
12-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I loved getting on a substitute teacher's nerves. I'd test them like none other. I'd always test my boundaries with subs.

T-Town
12-15-2012, 08:29 PM
There wasn't any bullying at my High School that I remember. It was a pretty small school (Graduating class size ~ 75) and everyone had their own little group of friends, but nobody really picked on anyone. I don't get the stuff that goes on now.

Spott
12-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Same here. The football team got away with that shit in my high school all the time. The baseball players were dicks, too. It's funny that I liked professional football growing up yet hated just about every person in my school that played it.

Gonzo
12-15-2012, 08:35 PM

Depends on the circumstances. In my experiences, smaller schools had much more bullying than the larger ones but I'd wager a bet that says the numbers per capita probably average out fairly close.

unnecessary drama
12-15-2012, 08:39 PM
yeah I was just saying so because in small schools everyone knows everyone

Fruit Ninja
12-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I think we bullied the teachers more than anything...our class was full of pricks.

they called us the class from hell after we flooded the Indianapolis Children's Museum in 7th grade...and we were also the first class to ever force assigned seating in the lunch room in 8th grade (too many stories to even tell)

high school didn't get much better as we used to just torment some of the poor teachers...

I liked high school more than I liked college and I LOVED college. Most people hated high school, or at the very least liked college way more...but not me.

Some teachers tried to bully. We couldnt really do much do them, my school back in the early/mid 90's had employed full time cops. They didnt fuck around either, they were loaded up.

Anyways, i had 2 run in with teachers trying to demean me, i didnt stand for that shit. One , ill admit i took it to far and went all racial slurs on her, but she provoked the fuck out of me, then i snapped and well, got suspended for 2 weeks. lol I never did have to go back to that class, they gave me some study hall bullshit after that where it was basically a free A.

Anyways, the 2nd time, i had to take a piss bad it was after lunch i had drank a super big gulp of some Mountain Dew. I told the teacher, n he was like no. i was like you either let me or imma piss in that plant right there. He got kinda mad, so i just walked to the restroom. lol was kinda towards the end of class. So the next day he got all mad tried to make me feel dumb in front of the class talking about how i should never direspect him again blah blah, i said fuck you and walked out of his class. Got changed to a new teacher after that, but what would anyone do if you had to piss and couldnt hold it any longer

KCrockaholic
12-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I went to Harrisonville HS for 2 years. Then moved to middle of nowhere Colorado. Hanover HS. My graduating class was 14 people. The middle school and high school are combined into one building. Much less bullying in that school I'd say. But you still had a couple cliches that did their own thing, and wouldn't talk to certain people.

Lonewolf Ed
12-15-2012, 08:52 PM
There were kids at my school, so yes, there was bullying.

LiveSteam
12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Meh. I have a girls name. Goes without saying,I took some shit over the years.
Lot of times I was my own worst enemy.
Their is still one dick that stands out the most in my mind. He was friends with Bugs older brother & 4 or 5 years older than me. He was runt & trouble maker. But he was 5 years older & way bigger than I. One day he caught me at Bugs house & my dad was there. Runt wouldn't STFU & my dad was there. So I had no choice. I hopped on my bike got a full head of steam & rammed myself & bike into him & his 10 speed.I mowed him over. He got up & kicked my ass pretty good. It still pisses me off to this day that I had to call uncle to a bully in front of my Pops.

FAX
12-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I grew up in a small, rural Kansas community. The school (from Jr. High on) was absolutely fraught with violence. Not everybody was a neanderthal, of course. But there were a select group of mainly farmer boys who dragged their knuckles around and derived joy out of breaking someone else's facial bones or making them bleed. There were fights every weekend (usually Saturday night) behind the bowling alley ... unless the guy who was being called out (typically by the biggest bullying asswipe in town) didn't show up, in which case he was hunted down and he got his butt kicked at some other location. Literally, some of the people I grew up around were basically animals.

It was unbelievably stupid. By the time I was a sophomore in high school, I began to realize that the town was simply awash in ignorance, alcohol, and domestic abuse. As an adult, I learned that practically every one of the most violent kids was physically abused at home. Their fathers were generally mean drunks and uneducated scum who thought that beating their wives and children made them more manly.

It taught me a lot, though. I learned how to avoid confrontation with insane morons who were bigger than me. I learned how to make friends with the biggest, meanest bastards in school. And I learned that it's always best to make love, not war.

When I went to college, I was amazed at how civilized the outside world (by comparison) could be. Then I found ChiefsPlanet and discovered that it may not be all that civilized after all. Sometimes life is like a big circle.

FAX

HonestChieffan
12-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Marsha Tapscott whipped the shit out of some of the irritating kids. Marsha could kick some serious ass. One time in welding class some nitwit welded pliars to the welding tables. We all got punished. He was bullied badly right after ag class. He never did stupid shit after that

Al Bundy
12-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Middle school, yes. High School, no. People would have gotten that ass kicked for fucking with my friends or I.

-King-
12-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Of course there was. Kind of a stupid question.

It's really not.

-King-
12-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Seems like most of you guys went to either small schools or country schools.

Baconeater
12-15-2012, 09:40 PM
It's really not.
I'm shocked there are people saying they never saw any. Although like many others have stated middle school was definitely worse than high school. And truth be told, I have more memories of "neighborhood" bullies than "school" bullies.

HonestChieffan
12-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Seems like most of you guys went to either small schools or country schools.

Small country school. Grade school was combined grades. 1st and second, 3rd and 4th, 5th and sixth. High school grad class was 27

Bump
12-15-2012, 09:58 PM
I remember back in JR high, a few bullies were beating this poor kid pretty badly, he was on the ground and I remember the 3 kicking him. The gym teacher looked, laughed and walked away. I said stop it! then they came for me, one punched me in the back of the neck because I was walking away and I looked at a different teacher like "aren't you gonna do something" and he laughed and I said, "fuck you teacher" and I'm the one who gets in trouble.

unnecessary drama
12-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Bump I feel like you tend to exaggerate.

TomSlash
12-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I've never been in a fight.

Can you believe that?

Boy,

Yes YES I can believe it Boy.

You never were even in the military - and if you were - chances are you're of the gay navy variety, boy.

Look KID! I was earning a purple heart back when your biggest goal was to buy a neon skateboard.

Pound pavement chump!

AussieChiefsFan
12-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Boy,

You never were even in the military - and if you were - chances are you're of the gay navy variety, boy.

Look KID! I was earning a purple heart back when your biggest goal was to buy a neon skateboard.

Pound pavement chump!:spock:

ClearmontChief
12-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I moved a bit growing up. Most of the schools were pretty nice. From the 7th grade thru Sophmore year I went to school at South Page in SW Iowa and it was absolutely GREAT! Small community, everyone treated everyone pretty well. There was some hazing on the football team, but it was very minor stuff...guys picking on the Freshmen. But, the same guys would stand shoulder to shoulder if you had trouble from another school. There was drinking, and everyone trying to cop a feel. Maybe, maybe 10% of the kids did some drugs...mostly maryjane, maybe a little more. Definately, nothing significant.

Then, in the middle of the 2nd quarter of my Sophmore year we moved again. Always to a bigger farming operation, getting bigger and bigger. Didn't move very far either, about 12-15 miles...just South of the Iowa/Missouri border. But, I had to change schools. So, I arrive at old West Nodaway. The very first day, I was surrounded in shop class by 6 or 7 guys. "Hey, let's so smoke one." "Smoke one what?"...I smoked cigs, but that's not what they meant. "Let's go smoke some pot". I'd never done that, never been around it, said "No, I'm not interested in doing that." "NARC!!" "you're an F'n NARC, aren't you?!" "No, I just don't want to do that." Turns out about 60-70% of the student body was stoned...and, the paranoid F'cks thought I was a Narc. They were relentless. I caught shoulders in my chest walking the halls. Pushed into lockers, slammed into them, pushed backwards over benches in the locker room. They were terrible with me.

Summer time came and I went and farmed and worked. Came back for the Junior year, went out for football. I'm still here, so they, most of them anyway, let up a bit. But, many of them still F'd with me nonstop. The longer I was there, the less they worried anymore about me being a Narc since they hadn't gotten busted. But, I still got shoved into lockers and treated miserably by so many of them. I had no friends, who wanted to be a friend with a Narc? Then, I got voted in to the National Honor Society, and now the smart kids didn't like me either...I'd been in school now about 8-9 months with a summer break in there and I'd managed to become hated by the druggies and the smart kids. (not nerds, clicky, smart kids...and I wasn't in there click.) "What did you do to deserve this?"

WOW, it was a terrible time. I never socialized with any of them. My non-school time I spent with my Iowa friends and worked my job. I had a couple girlfriends down there, but nothing serious. Looking back, it emboldened me...made me anti-drug. Half of those 6-7 guys were dead within 2 years of graduation. 2 of them 2 weeks after graduation...stoned, rolled their car into a creek on a curb, then too F'd up to get out. Drowned. I've never gone back. No alumni banquets or reunions. Terrible two and a half years.

Today, I've been pretty highly successful. 20-year Air Force Retired Veteran, Defense Contractor, good bank. Still drugfree, they gave me that strength. I want to go back there sometime, drive up in my really nice car, walk in with my trophy wife and just see how the losers turned out. Probably haven't changed a lick...still getting stoned on the couch.

Bullied, hell yes I was bullied. A weaker guy might have hurt themselves, or showed up at school with their Remington 870. It strengthened me, hardened me in ways...kept me from ever using drugs. I made the most of it...but, teenagers suck!

Bump
12-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Bump I feel like you tend to exaggerate.

not exaggerating. The 2 teachers laughed at that bullshit and they denied to the principal that they didn't see it even though I saw them witnessing it. That was small town kansas school, real cream of the crop people they hire.

Baconeater
12-15-2012, 10:08 PM
:spock:
Yeaahhh...just ignore that.

unnecessary drama
12-15-2012, 10:09 PM

I feel like I just got bullied :LOL:

AussieChiefsFan
12-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeaahhh...just ignore that.lol

Bump
12-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Now not all teachers/principals are pieces of shit like the one from my home town. My parents moved in my sophmore year of high school, had a good time at first but some all-state baseball player wanted to fight me all of the sudden, I busted out his teeth and after that all hell broke loose. He was popular, I was new, so they all bullied me pretty much constantly.

The principal however, was really cool. He didn't just start screaming at me, he actually realized what was happening and he looked at things through my perspective and actually helped me out. The first and only time a teacher tried to help. Encouraged me to join the baseball team, lol and I did and made the team but didn't start. Those jocks hated me even more for that but left me alone.

DaFace
12-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Boy,

Pound pavement chump!

WTF are you doing?

TomSlash
12-15-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm glad everyone in this thread seems to have life figured out.

Most of your toughest decisions consisted of things like:

A) How will I tote Dad's VHS player down the spiral staircase without waking my parents?

&

B) How will I bump the thermostat up to 70 without mommy finding out?

Gimme a break - half of you wear make up, and let's just say it's not the camo face paint kind - OK?!

GloryDayz
12-15-2012, 10:25 PM
I think there was a balance. Sure, we had our fair share, but there were those who countered it.

I remember a situation when they were moving towards integrating the MMR (Mildly Mentally Retarded) as they were called and the "heads" (bandanna-around-the-knee assholes) who would throw pennies on the floor and laugh as one particular MMR student would chase it down and pick it up. It went on for a week.....only a week.

I think in the days before so many of today's touchy-feely "Peta/ACLU" things, the world being totally PC, participation awards, a murder on TV every 7.6 seconds, violent games played in detail...etc etc etc (and those things are just the tip of the iceberg..), many of the checks and balances were in place.

LiveSteam
12-15-2012, 10:26 PM

A) How will I tote Dad's VHS player down the spiral staircase without waking my parents?

&

Gimme a break - half of you wear make up, and let's just say it's not the camo face paint kind - OK?!

:popcorn:

Al Bundy
12-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Boy,

Pound pavement chump!

Dumbshit

Bump
12-15-2012, 10:28 PM

&

are you the guy who was trying to sell a painting yesterday?

lewdog
12-15-2012, 10:29 PM

&

This is an A and B conversation so C your way out of it before D and E come and F you up.

TomSlash
12-15-2012, 10:37 PM
This is an A and B conversation so C your way out of it before D and E come and F you up.

ok ace, i'm at the george brett statue eating a chicken burrito. I'll be here till u show.

Bowser
12-15-2012, 10:39 PM
WTF are you doing?

Spill it, who's the mult? (not that it would be terribly hard to figure out, I'm just lazy)

Bowser
12-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeaahhh...just ignore that.

Ahhh....chiefbowe?

Baconeater
12-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Ahhh....chiefbowe?
Nah, not his M.O. But it's obviously a joke account.

Bowser
12-15-2012, 10:44 PM
ok ace, i'm at the george brett statue eating a chicken burrito. I'll be here till u show.

In a red bikini?

BigRedChief
12-15-2012, 10:49 PM
I've posted about my bullying before. I was 6 ft tall in the 6th grade in the 70's. I use to bully kids to get my way. I use to pitch a baseball faster than people had ever seen at my age. Problem was I didn't have very good control of where the pitch went.

I scared the other kids. They would get into the batters box crying. I found that if I hit one of the first batters that would scare then enough that all I had to do was get the ball over the plate. One day I hit a kid and broke his arm (this time I wasn't trying to hit him). It never entered my mind that someone could actually get hurt. Even though I wasn't trying to hit him that time, it changed me.

From that moment on 4th - 5th grade era I never bullied anyone ever again. I never allowed anyone else to bully anyone either. I kicked the ass of the new would be bullies at the first of the year and that was taken care of.

Later on in life I've met several people that were bullied and I had stopped it. I never remember any of it or these people. But they were very thankful.

I cant imagine the guilt I would have had as an adult if I had continued my bullying ways.

TomSlash
12-15-2012, 10:51 PM
I've posted about my bullying before. I was 6 ft tall in the 6th grade in the 70's. I use to bully kids to get my way. I use to pitch a baseball faster than people had ever seen at my age. Problem was I didn't have very good control of where the pitch went.

I scared the other kids. They would get into the batters box crying. I found that if I hit one of the first batters that would scare then enough that all I had to do was get the ball over the plate. One day I hit a kid and broke his arm (this time I wasn't trying to hit him). It never entered my mind that someone could actually get hurt. Even though I wasn't trying to hit him that time, it changed me.

From that moment on 4th - 5th grade era I never bullied anyone ever again. I never allowed anyone else to bully anyone either. I kicked the ass of the new would be bullies at the first of the year and that was taken care of.

Later on in life I've met several people that were bullied and I had stopped it. I never remember any of it or these people. But they were very thankful.

I cant imagine the guilt I would have had as an adult if I had continued my bullying ways.

I used to mosh pit dance in 4th - 5th grade - ever heard of 38 special - i was there, ace.

DaFace
12-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Spill it, who's the mult? (not that it would be terribly hard to figure out, I'm just lazy)

This one is probably up there in terms of irony. Or maybe he was just curious if we really can tell as fast as I say we can.

Baconeater
12-15-2012, 10:53 PM
This one is probably up there in terms of irony. Or maybe he was just curious if we really can tell as fast as I say we can.
My money is on Phobia.

BigRedChief
12-15-2012, 10:55 PM
I used to mosh pit dance in 4th - 5th grade - ever heard of 38 special - i was there, ace.I use to love .38 Special. Saw them in concert a couple of times.

Bowser
12-15-2012, 11:03 PM
My money is on Phobia.

Possibly, but that just seems too obvious.

Zach?

Baconeater
12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Possibly, but that just seems too obvious.

Zach?
Zach has no fucking sense of humor whatsoever, so no.

TomSlash
12-15-2012, 11:09 PM
I was in a bunker holding my CPL's arm while you all mostly gathered money from mom for the Skatin Rink. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Bowser
12-15-2012, 11:09 PM
The "ace" in his last post does sound pretty Phobia-ish.

TomSlash
12-15-2012, 11:15 PM
i used to roll with the thugs back then, and to be honest, we wouldnt have let that happened, not to people who really cant defend themselves.

Hell, i beat the shit out of some guy once when i was young for kicking at cat. I wont stand for any kiind of bullying nonsense.

you don't know tough, sissy - i will take you on in the steel cage anyday of the week other than Sunday, that's when we go to the potter's people meetings and that Cheeseburgers in Paradise they opened at the KC Speedway - but if you want to step up to the mic and roll - let's roll, slick

Easy 6
12-15-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm thinking i have a pretty good idea.

If memory serves, TS reads familiar somehow...

Al Bundy
12-15-2012, 11:24 PM

I agree.....

DaneMcCloud
12-15-2012, 11:33 PM

I think you're right.

It's just not mean enough to be someone else.

:)

ThaVirus
12-15-2012, 11:55 PM
I went to 4 different high schools in 3 different states.

2 in Richmond, VA with around 2000 students each. 1 in Orlando, Florida with about 3000 students. 1 in Ohio with probably less than 200 students (I moved in with my mom briefly during my senior year; lasted about 3 months).

When I started my freshman year I was about 4'11 95 pounds and never got bullied. Can't say I saw any amount of recurring bullying at any school, at any point in time..

Jiu Jitsu Jon
12-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Wish I had known Gracie Jiu Jitsu in high school. Things would have been a lot better. My son is going to learn Jiu Jitsu early. Send a kid to school without teaching him how to defend himself and you're putting him at the mercy of bullies.

I will never, ever punish my son for:

1. Defending himself.
2. Defending someone else being harassed.

FAX
12-16-2012, 12:55 AM

ROFL

Super Grinch The Paramilitary Silent Killer just checked in.

FAX

GoChargers
12-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Maybe it's because the high school I went to was fairly small, but my class was always really closeknit and there wasn't any bullying.

Buehler445
12-16-2012, 01:46 AM

This.

It's a precursor to real life. The longer it gets put off, the worse it will be.

If the elementary school can tamp it out, it will be worse in Middle School.

If the Middle School can keep a thumb on it, it will be worse in high school. Most notably outside of school, when the cruelty will be worse.

If it can miraculously be avoided in High School, it will be much much worse in adult life, whether it is at work, social engagements, random acts in the street.

The sooner people can learn to socialize, the better.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
12-16-2012, 01:53 AM
This.

It's a precursor to real life. The longer it gets put off, the worse it will be.

If the Middle School can keep a thumb on it, it will be worse in high school. Most notably outside of school, when the cruelty will be worse.

If it can miraculously be avoided in High School, it will be much much worse in adult life, whether it is at work, social engagements, random acts in the street.

So it sounds like you think bullying is a necessary part of life?

Once I got into college, there really wasn't any bullying. Of course, there was hazing when I pledged a fraternity, but I just laughed at it. I remember a pledge that had played high school in football, had probably been popular... and I thought he was going to cry when the actives were giving him a hard time. I guess he wasn't used to it. I should have said YOU P***Y M***** F*****, you're really going to cry about THIS?

But it's a little different, the pledge getting grief is there because he wants to be. There's a reward there when he sees it to the end. True, mean-spirited bullying is pointless. My "hazing" was fun. It pissed the guys off that I had no reaction to anything.

KC Tattoo
12-16-2012, 01:57 AM
I fealt bad for a kid in my class with the last name of Queerbach

something cooler
12-16-2012, 02:16 AM
In elementary and middle School I got fucked with a lot. but by high school I just started fighting back and I did not last long at all.

TomSlash
12-16-2012, 02:33 AM
In elementary and middle School I got ****ed with a lot. but by high school I just started fighting back and I did not last long at all.

you go girl.

I'll be over here serving our country, did you vote for Obama too?

TomSlash
12-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Maybe it's because the high school I went to was fairly small, but my class was always really closeknit and there wasn't any bullying.

more like - you went to school with a bunch of women.

TomSlash
12-16-2012, 02:46 AM
WTF are you doing?

Boy, If you'd like a piece, I'm at the georgebrett statue now eating cinnamon twists.

RunKC
12-16-2012, 03:10 AM
In Jr. High I was fortunate enough to have a principal who was in the Army in his younger days. Kids who were seen bullying were immediately snatched up by him and put in the middle hallway during the time kids went from recess back to class for the afternoon.

Our Principal would look at the bully and say "you think you're tough huh? I'll tell you what, put your feet on the ground and your hands on the bench with your feet spread back as far as you can. If you can do 100 diamond push-up's while touching your nose in the diamond each time, I'll let you go, but if you fail or do not care to do this, you get 2 weeks detention with the most strict teacher in the building."

Every single bully would fail. I think the most pushups any one bully did was 27 before they gave out.

What's awesome is that one day while a bully was doing this in front of all the kids coming in from recess, he failed and said "like you can do this old man. You're an ex-Army hack anyway."
I kid you not, that 60 year old man did 100 diamond push-up's in about 3 minutes in perfect form and that bully was owned in front of everybody.

The world needs more Principal's like this man.

TomSlash
12-16-2012, 03:13 AM
In Jr. High I was fortunate enough to have a principal who was in the Army in his younger days. Kids who were seen bullying were immediately snatched up by him and put in the middle hallway during the time kids went from recess back to class for the afternoon.

Our Principal would look at the bully and say "you think you're tough huh? I'll tell you what, put your feet on the ground and your hands on the bench with your feet spread back as far as you can. If you can do 100 diamond push-up's while touching your nose in the diamond each time, I'll let you go, but if you fail or do not care to do this, you get 2 weeks detention with the most strict teacher in the building."

Every single bully would fail. I think the most pushups any one bully did was 27 before they gave out.

What's awesome is that one day while a bully was doing this in front of all the kids coming in from recess, he failed and said "like you can do this old man. You're an ex-Army hack anyway."
I kid you not, that 60 year old man did 100 diamond push-up's in about 3 minutes in perfect form and that bully was owned in front of everybody.

The world needs more Principal's like this man.

not only am i older than that guy - i'm ex marine and i will crush him in a street fight i will spar him, let me know guy

WilliamTheIrish
12-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Went to a Catholic grade school and high school. Graduated in late 70's. In those days and in those particular schools bullying was common.

Corporal punishment was allowed and justice was swift. Especially in grade school. The nuns worked everybody over pretty good. I mean, they got into the faces of little kids and belittled them. They carried those long pointers used for pointing out things on a chalkboard. You got those things cracked over your head, over your knuckles, or drilled into your sternum. Seriously, I hated going to school. The lay staff (males especially) were equally rough. They would literally throw you out of class into the hallway before sending you down the hall to the principal. Who was also a nun. I was fortunate that I had multiple older siblings in the same school. My 7th grade teacher Sister Dorothy hit me over the head with a teacher's edition math book that I swear gave me a concussion.

High school was just as bad. The male lay teachers would today be brought up on battery charges if they did the shit I watched happen daily in my high school. They open handed us across the head. One day I saw him drag a kid into the raised bleachers by his hair. He never came back to school.

And that was just the teachers. The bullying done by the students was every bit as bad. Some of the shit that was done to kids was beyond the pale.

R8RFAN
12-16-2012, 09:54 AM

The "Nobody Loses" mentality of a certain group in America has given people the thought that they are justified in whatever they do nowadays...

Back in the day, all you had to do was bust a bully in his face hard and even if he whipped your ass they rarely continued to bully you because they still felt that pain.

ChiefButthurt
12-16-2012, 10:07 AM
not only am i older than that guy - i'm ex marine and i will crush him in a street fight i will spar him, let me know guy

I call BS.....you apparently didn't understand?

Brock
12-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Boy, If you'd like a piece, I'm at the georgebrett statue now eating cinnamon twists.

I'll meet you in the Tampa airport!

WhiteWhale
12-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Good lord yes.

Group bullying. The 'bully' like nelson muntz is a dinosaur. Bullies are not kids who steal lunch money. It's way worse now, in spite of people who think a punch in the gut is worse than 600 consecutive days of being told you are worthless by 50+ people every day. It emotionally destroys people. If they can't do that, they make it physical. It didn't turn me into a 'pussy'. I got suspended seven times in my first two years of high school for fighting against asshole bullies. Once I was fighting three ****ing people and I was the ONLY ONE who got suspended because the other kids played on the baseball team and were untouchable apparently.

Anyone who thinks bullying is the same as it was in the 70's is a moron who is totally detached from the times.

Think about it... kids are less respectful and far more ill behaved than they were. How can you think that only effects adults and not the peers? You really can't play both sides of this. Kids are far bigger assholes than they were 30 years ago. IT's not even close.

WhiteWhale
12-16-2012, 10:27 AM
This.

Sociopathic behavior in children should be discouraged.

Kids don't need to be beat up by 30 other kids and spend a week in intensive care on death's door to learn a life lesson... and all kids are not the target of bullies. In a school of two hundred there will be less than twenty kids targeted by the whole school because they are ugly, poor, or fat. Average bullying is just school yard socializing, but there's a lynch mob mentality towards a few kids at every school and they're the ones who keep going nuts.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Good lord yes.

Group bullying. The 'bully' like nelson muntz is a dinosaur. Bullies are not kids who steal lunch money. It's way worse now, in spite of people who think a punch in the gut is worse than 600 consecutive days of being told you are worthless by 50+ people every day. It emotionally destroys people. If they can't do that, they make it physical. It didn't turn me into a 'pussy'. I got suspended seven times in my first two years of high school for fighting against asshole bullies. Once I was fighting three ****ing people and I was the ONLY ONE who got suspended because the other kids played on the baseball team and were untouchable apparently.

Anyone who thinks bullying is the same as it was in the 70's is a moron who is totally detached from the times.

Think about it... kids are less respectful and far more ill behaved than they were. How can you think that only effects adults and not the peers? You really can't play both sides of this. Kids are far bigger assholes than they were 30 years ago. IT's not even close.

This board is the equivalent of bullying in schools. We get an up close look at it right here, and these are adults. The pile ons, the name calling, the deep personal attacks against posters who have revealed intimate details of their lives here by people hiding behind keyboards that have given nothing. This is the culture. This is our society. Eat, or be eaten. And it's not going to change anytime soon. Because no one gives a fuck about anything, or anyone but themselves and their immediate family. Fact.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 10:34 AM
And you're absolutely right about the emotional distress being far worse than a punch in the gut. When you're told you're nothing, and worthless by someone, you can disregard it and know better. When you're told that by numerous people, every day, for an extended period of time, it's hard to not start believing it. And let's face it, it's coming out in the form of multiple people getting shot up. And it's not going to stop. Because they model the adults in their lives.

We are the adults these children model, and look at us, and how we treat one another. We expect them to behave BETTER than we do? ROFL

bevischief
12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Grade school we beat the shit out of each other. Same with JH. Moved for HS and stead off the radar of everyone.

WhiteWhale
12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
This board is the equivalent of bullying in schools. We get an up close look at it right here, and these are adults. The pile ons, the name calling, the deep personal attacks against posters who have revealed intimate details of their lives here by people hiding behind keyboards that have given nothing. This is the culture. This is our society. Eat, or be eaten. And it's not going to change anytime soon. Because no one gives a **** about anything, or anyone but themselves and their immediate family. Fact.

I would agree that this forum has the atmosphere of a junior high locker room, but I won't agree that the world or society does.

I'm pretty cynical, but I'm not that cynical.

notorious
12-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Thank God I went to a small school where they squashed this bullshit within minutes.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 10:39 AM
I would agree that this forum has the atmosphere of a junior high locker room, but I won't agree that the world or society does.

I'm pretty cynical, but I'm not that cynical.

No, I don't mean it like that. The World is definitely not like that. But what you see adults posting here, they're also saying to some degree in front of their children. Those kids take it to school and make it real life. I dunno, I'm hungover. My communication skills go down exponentially when I'm in a fog.

WhiteWhale
12-16-2012, 10:41 AM
And you're absolutely right about the emotional distress being far worse than a punch in the gut. When you're told you're nothing, and worthless by someone, you can disregard it and know better. When you're told that by numerous people, every day, for an extended period of time, it's hard to not start believing it. And let's face it, it's coming out in the form of multiple people getting shot up. And it's not going to stop. Because they model the adults in their lives.

We are the adults these children model, and look at us, and how we treat one another. We expect them to behave BETTER than we do? ROFL

If the adults in their lives pay any attention to them.

BigRedChief
12-16-2012, 10:42 AM
This board is the equivalent of bullying in schools. We get an up close look at it right here, and these are adults. The pile ons, the name calling, the deep personal attacks against posters who have revealed intimate details of their lives here by people hiding behind keyboards that have given nothing. This is the culture. This is our society. Eat, or be eaten. And it's not going to change anytime soon. Because no one gives a fuck about anything, or anyone but themselves and their immediate family. Fact.There is a difference between this behavior from adult to adult and from kid to kid. I wouldn't want to see a major change in the board.

However, that being said, we certainty could be more respectful towards our fellow Planeteers when they disclose personal details.

Baconeater
12-16-2012, 10:43 AM
No, I don't mean it like that. The World is definitely not like that. But what you see adults posting here, they're also saying to some degree in front of their children. Those kids take it to school and make it real life. I dunno, I'm hungover. My communication skills go down exponentially when I'm in a fog.
Oh come on now, you really think I ever tell my son to die in a fire or kill himself? If you had kids, would you ever tell them to eat your asshole with a spoon?

BigRedChief
12-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Thank God I went to a small school where they squashed this bullshit within minutes.Or with peer pressure as was in my case.

WhiteWhale
12-16-2012, 10:44 AM

I get you. I'm also hung over. :doh!:

I also think the internet bullying (before my time) goes so much further because... well... something about anonymity behind a keyboard makes a lot of normal people act like sociopaths. I have serious doubts most of these people are as nasty or hateful IRL. It's just something about anonymity.

notorious
12-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Or with peer pressure as was in my case.

Positive or negative?

We looked out for each other. When there are only 90 students in the entire school it's pretty easy.

Lumpy
12-16-2012, 11:06 AM
The size of the school really didn't play a part in my bullying experience.

I grew up in a small, working-class town in S.E. Kansas. Up until about 6th grade, our classrooms were fairly small. But then developers moved in and built country clubs and high-priced homes in our town. The result was an influx of "rich kids" moving into the community and cliques formed.

Around 8th grade, I hung out with just about everyone, (that was when I "blossomed"). I had my old friends, (from working-class families like mine), then I made friends with some of the more popular kids, (from wealthy families). But, in 9th grade, I went into loaner/rebel mode. I hung out with other outcasts and didn't give a crap about what people thought of me. I wore dark make-up, ripped jeans, my hair was short and jet-black... I guess I was "grunge". I drank, smoked cigs/pot.

The group of girls that I mentioned before were just like me, (from the wrong side of the tracks). Yet they were too concerned about fitting in and gaining acceptance from others that they rebelled against those that kept to themselves. I wasn't the only one that got bullied, yet they targeted me more because of my previous "status". They also probably didn't like that I was popular with the guys, (mainly the stoners/wanna-be musicians... the "bad boys").

There were times where I got hit hard by depression, but I was able to find an outlet through writing and other hobbies. Not to mention, my family was always there for me when I needed support. My parents were there to give me hugs and my brothers taught me how to defend myself. Unfortunately, too many kids nowadays either don't have a support system or just want to keep everything bottled up. Support is the key to children overcoming a bully situation. Yet many don't realize this until it's too late.

Looking back though, I feel that my experience has made me a stronger person. Even in my adult life I have been a victim of bullying. The only difference now is I know how to handle people and, if need be, I'll just kick their asses. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Oh come on now, you really think I ever tell my son to die in a fire or kill himself? If you had kids, would you ever tell them to eat your asshole with a spoon?

Of course you don't say that to your kid. Have they ever heard you say it about someone else? And I might tell my kids to eat my asshole with a spoon if they pissed me off enough. :evil: No, not really, but all I'm saying is, they hear us. And they model it. No matter how much we all grow up and swear we'll never be anything like our parents, we generally are. Because that's all we had to model growing up. They're mini me's, and we are too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vX07j9SDFcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 11:11 AM
I get you. I'm also hung over. :doh!:

I also think the internet bullying (before my time) goes so much further because... well... something about anonymity behind a keyboard makes a lot of normal people act like sociopaths. I have serious doubts most of these people are as nasty or hateful IRL. It's just something about anonymity.

I'm optimistic enough to really hope you're right.

-King-
12-16-2012, 11:19 AM
This.

:spock: You....actually think that?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 11:23 AM
The size of the school really didn't play a part in my bullying experience.

I grew up in a small, working-class town in S.E. Kansas. Up until about 6th grade, our classrooms were fairly small. But then developers moved in and built country clubs and high-priced homes in our town. The result was an influx of "rich kids" moving into the community and cliques formed.

Around 8th grade, I hung out with just about everyone, (that was when I "blossomed"). I had my old friends, (from working-class families like mine), then I made friends with some of the more popular kids, (from wealthy families). But, in 9th grade, I went into loaner/rebel mode. I hung out with other outcasts and didn't give a crap about what people thought of me. I wore dark make-up, ripped jeans, my hair was short and jet-black... I guess I was "grunge". I drank, smoked cigs/pot.

The group of girls that I mentioned before were just like me, (from the wrong side of the tracks). Yet they were too concerned about fitting in and gaining acceptance from others that they rebelled against those that kept to themselves. I wasn't the only one that got bullied, yet they targeted me more because of my previous "status". They also probably didn't like that I was popular with the guys, (mainly the stoners/wanna-be musicians... the "bad boys").

There were times where I got hit hard by depression, but I was able to find an outlet through writing and other hobbies. Not to mention, my family was always there for me when I needed support. My parents were there to give me hugs and my brothers taught me how to defend myself. Unfortunately, too many kids nowadays either don't have a support system or just want to keep everything bottled up. Support is the key to children overcoming a bully situation. Yet many don't realize this until it's too late.

Looking back though, I feel that my experience has made me a stronger person. Even in my adult life I have been a victim of bullying. The only difference now is I know how to handle people and, if need be, I'll just kick their asses. :D

Reading this reminds me that we are in constant competition mode. And that's a big part of bullying. Trying to lift one self up, by stepping on the neck of someone weaker. It's really just a part of our culture. I don't see it ever really ending.

Lumpy
12-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Reading this reminds me that we are in constant competition mode. And that's a big part of bullying. Trying to lift one self up, by stepping on the neck of someone weaker. It's really just a part of our culture. I don't see it ever really ending.

Exactly.

Wait, "weaker"? :spock: I wasn't weak. Why you gotta bully me like that, Flops?

;)

notorious
12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Exactly.

Wait, "weaker"? :spock: I wasn't weak. Why you gotta bully me like that, Flops?

;)

It seems as if the shoe is on the other foot.......

Lay off, Floppy. JFC

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Oh yeah. Climbing higher. Every. Single. Day. BOOM!

Lumpy
It seems as if the shoe is on the other foot.......

Lay off, Floppy. JFC

Wanna bounce? :#

Baconeater
I think it's true when it comes to one-on-one bullying. You learn if you stand up to the bully, he'll generally move on and it sets the example for other potential bullies. They like to prey on who they perceive to be weak.

OTOH, if it's widespread "piling on"...well that's a different story.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 11:35 AM

Absolutely! :hump:

notorious

(Cowers in corner while going fetal)

Lumpy
Absolutely! :hump:

:facepalm:

I should learn to use a new phrase. LMAO

Lumpy
12-16-2012, 11:36 AM

I will not judge. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 11:40 AM

I will not judge. :D

(Walks over, stares at situation, and :hump: :shrug:)

Please don't judge me.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-16-2012, 11:41 AM
:facepalm:

I should learn to use a new phrase. LMAO

Move your hand. I'm ready to turn you around. :hump:

BOOM! I am NOT to be trifled with...

Lumpy
12-16-2012, 11:46 AM
:eek:

Okay, I think I'm going to leave this thread now.

something cooler
honestly I was always way too high to notice the bullies by high school

Mr. Flopnuts
Awk-ward.

Buehler445
12-16-2012, 11:48 AM

Sociopathic behavior in children should be discouraged.

Kids don't need to be beat up by 30 other kids and spend a week in intensive care on death's door to learn a life lesson... and all kids are not the target of bullies. In a school of two hundred there will be less than twenty kids targeted by the whole school because they are ugly, poor, or fat. Average bullying is just school yard socializing, but there's a lynch mob mentality towards a few kids at every school and they're the ones who keep going nuts.

Perhaps our definitions of bullying differ. The bullying I hear about is strictly a matter of one kid making fun of another or some extrapolation thereof.

I haven't had any exposure of any mob type behavior.

Look, kids making fun of each other will happen. Nobody will ever get along perfectly. It happens. It appears to me that bullying is a function of socialization.

If I'm off base, then I guess no, there wasn't bullying in my school.

something cooler
12-16-2012, 12:06 PM
I have some decent middle School stories.

One time at Bingham middle School, me and my friend were inside a classroom playing trading card games during a free period thing while everybody else including teachers were in the gym. Thus dude named nick rowlette who I had a history with came in with a few of his friends came in and shut off the light and shut the door. Then they shoved my face into my friends crotch and started yelling suck it suck it! I tried to fight back, but there was a bunch of them and they were pulling his pants down too so my face ended up all over his balls. Later that day, I was called into the principals office because during the struggle I gave nick a black eye. He and his friends told the principle that I attacked him in the bathroom and he didn't fight back. They all had the same story and the principle liked those kids. my friend Alex, whose balls I unintentionally gargled, didn't have my back either because he was threatened to not say anything. I was suspended for a week and got my ass beat at home badly.

-King-
12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Perhaps our definitions of bullying differ. The bullying I hear about is strictly a matter of one kid making fun of another or some extrapolation thereof.

I haven't had any exposure of any mob type behavior.

Look, kids making fun of each other will happen. Nobody will ever get along perfectly. It happens. It appears to me that bullying is a function of socialization.

If I'm off base, then I guess no, there wasn't bullying in my school.

We're not talking about kids just making fun of each other. That's not really "bullying" IMO.

Buehler445
12-16-2012, 12:17 PM
We're not talking about kids just making fun of each other. That's not really "bullying" IMO.

That seems to be the focus of schools now. At least at my wife's school.

ThaVirus
12-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Then they shoved my face into my friends crotch and started yelling suck it suck it! I tried to fight back, but there was a bunch of them and they were pulling his pants down too so my face ended up all over his balls

LMAO I'm sorry but that's hilarious.

JASONSAUTO
12-16-2012, 12:51 PM
JFC argo, you should have just shut the fuck up.
Posted via Mobile Device

something cooler
12-16-2012, 12:52 PM
JFC argo, you should have just shut the **** up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Huh?

BIG_DADDY
12-16-2012, 01:00 PM
my friend Alex, whose balls I unintentionally gargled, .

Why did you open your mouth?

JASONSAUTO
12-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Huh?

Yeah you don't tell people that story.
Posted via Mobile Device

BIG_DADDY
12-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Yes, there was bullying. I saw quite a bit actually. I remember a kid beating up on a handicap kid. I slowly walked up and the bully looked at me and asked me if I knew the kid he was pummeling. I said "hell no". He drew back his fist to punch the kid again and I dropped him. That bully never came back to our school. Never went to the principals office either. I wasn't always in a position to do that. Looking back I wish I had acted more than I did but my confidence level was never there at that level until 9th grade on.

Lumpy
12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Argo's post about trading cards reminded me of the kids at my school that were into D&D. There were no balls involved, but those guys were constantly bullied.