View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger | Chiefs’ level of incompetence reaches new heights

the Talking Can
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/16/3969257/sam-mellinger-chiefs-level-of.html

OAKLAND, Calif. The lasting images from the Chiefs’ football failures are incomplete passes hitting receivers smack in the facemask, fumbles at the goal line and choreographed celebrations for touchdowns that didn’t happen. As professional football teams go, they are worse than wet socks, rotten milk and bedbugs. They are a season-long blooper reel, their soundtrack a sad country music song.

We know this.

And we’ve known this.

So losing 15-0 to the Raiders on Sunday isn’t a new low as much as it is a rearranging of the stank ashes from what’s long been a colossal flop by men paid to be much better.

But gaining 119 yards and making seven first downs against the NFL’s No. 30 defense is a new flavor of uselessness that deserves its own special spotlight today.

The Chiefs’ offense is less imposing than a pillow. Let’s explore.

So, which was it?

Which glimpse of incompetence is your favorite? Mine came in the first quarter, when Brady Quinn’s pass hit Devon Wylie flush in the helmet, bouncing to the grass incomplete. But reasonable minds can disagree on this.

Maybe you prefer Jon Asamoah getting beat like a percussion instrument on a sack, and being called for a blatant facemask penalty on the play. Or maybe it’s Jamaal Charles busting through for a 42-yard gain, only to come on back on a holding penalty (also on Asamoah — he really had a rough day).

Or maybe it’s gaining a total of 10 yards rushing against a team that’s given up an average of 165 to its last six opponents. Or it could be that the Chiefs finished the first half with 17 yards of offense and 40 yards of penalties. They had as many punts as first downs.

This isn’t the 1985 Bears the Chiefs just played. The Raiders had given up the most points in the NFL before the slump-busting Chiefs came along. The last three teams the Raiders have held under 20 points are all the Chiefs.

This is the fewest yards gained against a losing team in six years of the NFL.

“If there’s a bright spot in the game, it was the punter,” coach Romeo Crennel says.

This was Crennel’s 81st game as a head coach, and he says it’s the worst offensive performance he’s seen. This is Ryan Lilja’s ninth year, and he can’t think of a worse game. When I asked Quinn, he sort of mumbled something that sounded like I don’t know before waiting for the next question.

A breakdown of the Chiefs’ possessions: punt, punt, interception, punt, punt, punt, turnover on downs (after a delay-of-game penalty before fourth down), punt, turnover on downs, turnover on downs.

The Chiefs failed because receivers weren’t open, and they failed because the quarterback threw the ball into the ground in front of an open receiver. They failed when running backs got stuffed in the backfield, and they failed when the running back’s long gain got called back on a penalty. They failed when balls bounced off receivers’ hands, and they failed when Jon Baldwin tried another ridiculous one-handed catch.

The idea that the Chiefs are just a few key changes — a general manager here, head coach there, throw in a new quarterback — from being competitive is drowning in a monsoon of ineptitude.

This isn’t a small problem, either. Five teams have won 10 games this season, and here are their rankings in points scored: first, second, third, eighth and eleventh. The Chiefs, you probably would’ve guessed, are dead last, and what we’ve seen the last two weeks could easily bleed into the future.

Consider that Dwayne Bowe may not be back next year and that the Chiefs have had 18 possessions since his season-ending injury last week: 12 punts, four turnovers on downs, and two interceptions. They’ve managed 249 yards, 14 first downs and zero points.

In other words, the Chiefs are doodling with crayons in a league won by real artists.

When Quinn is the Chiefs’ quarterback and Dexter McCluster their leading active receiver, it’s fair to say this team is like a car with a flat tire and busted transmission. And with Crennel and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll in charge, it’s also fair to say that car’s been driven into a ditch.

Last month, Crennel fired himself as defensive coordinator because he wanted to spend more time and attention on the offense. The Chiefs were averaging 357.5 yards and 16.6 points then. They’re averaging 270.3 yards and 10.3 points since.

But it’s about to get interesting. One of the team’s most important decisions this offseason — after the front office, coach and quarterback, of course — is what to do with Bowe. He is making $9.5 million this year with the franchise tag, and that price goes up significantly if the Chiefs decide to hang the franchise tag on him again.

But seeing this offense without him, the Chiefs may have no choice.

Major changes are all but a certainty now, and how the (presumably) new decision-makers handle the offensive personnel will tell us plenty about whether they think it was the roster or coaches that ruined this season.

Then again, maybe they’ll see it the way most of us do and blame both.

Bugeater
12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Fucker stole the crayon blast from here.

Brock
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
The culmination of Pioli's 4 year plan.

Messier
12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't think it's as massive a fix as Melinger is saying.

Deberg_1990
12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
heh, doesnt Mellinger basically write the same thing every week?

Not his fault really......

Fairplay
12-16-2012, 10:20 PM
The idea that the Chiefs are just a few key changes — a general manager here, head coach there, throw in a new quarterback — from being competitive is drowning in a monsoon of ineptitude.

Yep, let's start fresh and add new blood to start the 3013 Chiefs. We need serious change here.

bishop_74
12-16-2012, 10:21 PM
http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/87773/funny-pictures-oh-no-you-di-idnt.jpg

HoneyBadger
12-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Yep, let's start fresh and add new blood to start the 3013 Chiefs. We need serious change here.

No way I'm waiting over 1000 years. But I will probably have to....

mcaj22
12-16-2012, 10:24 PM
i mean there does need to be an massive overall

but yo, if you hit on ONE DRAFT, at least half the picks or even 2 of the picks in one draft for that matter. And spend some ****ing money in FA, then you cover it one year.

The fact that this team evaluates awful players in the draft and doesnt spend in FA other than bargin bin turds is why there is no talent/massive setbacks. If there was any sort of system in place for talent evaluation and talent acquisition there would not be a ****ing problem

Cosmos
12-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't think it's as massive a fix as Melinger is saying.

Saying that the leadership is managing this to lose at this point would be giving them too much credit. If this was something they were trying, they would fail at that too.

This organization is a wreck...

Messier
12-16-2012, 10:27 PM
There are a lot of good players on this team, that, coached well, and given something to play for, could be important parts of a winning team.

Frankly, even the good players are lost on this team.

Discuss Thrower
12-16-2012, 10:32 PM
i mean there does need to be an massive overall

but yo, if you hit on ONE DRAFT, at least half the picks or even 2 of the picks in one draft for that matter. And spend some ****ing money in FA, then you cover it one year.

The fact that this team evaluates awful players in the draft and doesnt spend in FA other than bargin bin turds is why there is no talent/massive setbacks. If there was any sort of system in place for talent evaluation and talent acquisition there would not be a ****ing problem

KC needs a 3 year rebuild. At best.

To think they'll compete for a SB by the next presidential election is naively optimistic.

mcaj22
12-16-2012, 10:35 PM
KC needs a 3 year rebuild. At best.

To think they'll compete for a SB by the next presidential election is naively optimistic.

I am on board with a 3 year rebuild if its like the Colts rebuild where a new regime comes in and completely cuts/purges 3/4s of the roster no matter who it is.

gblowfish
12-16-2012, 10:37 PM
heh, doesnt Mellinger basically write the same thing every week?

Not his fault really......

Heh...I know the feeling...

O.city
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
You know what else you could do? Trade a draft pick for a fucking player. The Falcons got a good CB for a 7th round pick FFS.

Trade a mid to late round to Philly for DRC.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
stank ashes

LMAO

O.city
12-16-2012, 10:40 PM
The Pats got Talib for fucking peanuts.

Be a player in free agency. You don't have to get the top of the line guys per say at every spot, but fuck.

Go sign Byrd, grab a QB first overall, trade a pick to the Eagles for a CB, and have a decent draft and lets see what happens.

Discuss Thrower
12-16-2012, 10:42 PM
The Pats got Talib for fucking peanuts.

Be a player in free agency. You don't have to get the top of the line guys per say at every spot, but fuck.

Go sign Byrd, grab a QB first overall, trade a pick to the Eagles for a CB, and have a decent draft and lets see what happens.

Insert the stats on most teams only hitting on 25% or so of picks per draft.

KC is fucked for a few years. Proper fucked.

Messier
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
The Chiefs need to take a lead from the Royals and make some gutsy moves. I say, after the GM and coach are gone, hire a coach first, and let him be the one with the power, and hire a GM who goes and gets who the coach wants.

mcaj22
12-16-2012, 10:45 PM
ill take hitting 25 percent per draft. thats like 1 or 2 guys

we have hit on 0 percent in 3 of the 4 Pioli drafts.

0. Not one fucking guy in 3 drafts can do shit on this garbage dump of team

O.city
12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Insert the stats on most teams only hitting on 25% or so of picks per draft.

KC is ****ed for a few years. Proper ****ed.

With the draft and free agency, paired with what the Chiefs already have, it shouldn't take a whole hell of alot of time.

To build an NFL team you absolutely must have

A QB
A LT
A pass rusher.

The Chiefs have 2 of those, with an extra pass rusher. But we suck at QB and the other surrounding spots have been filled with absolute shit.

Saccopoo
12-16-2012, 10:48 PM
There are a lot of good players on this team, that, coached well, and given something to play for, could be important parts of a winning team.

Frankly, even the good players are lost on this team.

You've got very high level players in Johnson, Hali, Bowe, Winston, Flowers, and Charles.

You've got huge potential in guys like Berry, Houston, Hudson, Moeaki and Poe.

You've got solid players in Albert, Boss, Jackson, Breaston, et al.

This is not a team devoid of talent. This is why a lot of media picked them as a dark horse this year.

This is a team devoid of leadership and coaching. On both sides of the ball.

This is a team with perhaps the worst quarterback situation in the NFL.

This is a team with a GM who has created an environment of fear and loathing inside and outside of the organization.

Those problems are going to get fixed in 2013.

The team will rise up and rise up quickly with a new QB, a new coaching staff and a new GM.

This isn't a long term fix. This team is the Colts and Broncos of 2012. There are pieces in place to make this team competitive right out of the gate in 2013, especially considering the division they play in.

Draft Geno and do your due diligence and find a competent GM and coaching staff and this team, in 2013, is a better team than anything we've seen in nearly a decade.

chiefzilla1501
I am on board with a 3 year rebuild if its like the Colts rebuild where a new regime comes in and completely cuts/purges 3/4s of the roster no matter who it is.

I don't see any reason why this team can't be very competitive by 2013 if Geno plays very well and the coaching staff is very good. The idea that the Chiefs need an overhaul is an overreaction, probably from people who think a team needs to have 53 pro bowlers on the roster.

The Chiefs have ability to get a new coaching staff, draft an elite QB, and cap space and draft position to add a few upgrades in key positions. This is not a 3 year project.

Hammock Parties
Would have been nice if Sam had included the full stat line on NoBowe:

9 quarters, 320 yards, 0 points in the last two seasons without him.

He is better than anyone knows.

mcaj22
12-16-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't see any reason why this team can't be very competitive by 2013 if Geno plays very well and the coaching staff is very good. The idea that the Chiefs need an overhaul is an overreaction, probably from people who think a team needs to have 53 pro bowlers on the roster.

The Chiefs have ability to get a new coaching staff, draft an elite QB, and cap space and draft position to add a few upgrades in key positions. This is not a 3 year project.

even if they draft Geno and the current roster you still win maybe 6 games at best next season.

O.city
12-16-2012, 10:50 PM
I do think that this team has pretty much given up. Hell I think they did that a while ago.

I will say I'm a little more optimistic about some of the players here than others, but I understand where others are coming from.

For instance, Berry. I think he's finally getting healthy, same with Moeaki. I also think some of the guys that actually are talented are being misused. Look at Houston. Dude doesnt' need to be in coverage as much as he is.

But, like mcaj22 has been saying, on the offensive side, we have shit at alot of places.

Dexter is shit. Baldwin is shit. Newsome etc.

Discuss Thrower
12-16-2012, 10:51 PM

We don't need 53 pro bowlers. We need at least 33 NFL caliber players.

KC has maybe 13.

milkman
12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Would have been nice if Sam had included the full stat line on NoBowe:

9 quarters, 320 yards, 0 points in the last two seasons without him.

He is better than anyone knows.

But....But...he's a selfish overrated player.

Dave Lane
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM

Thats serious long term planning. Maybe we will have even won a Superbowl by then.

Demonpenz
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Reminds me of this cow that we had on the farm. It got stick in the ice on the pond and it was dead as fuck. We could have wasted a day trying to get a bobcat to get the dead ass cow out of there, but we were like fuck it, I just rented streets of rage. Lets beat that shit.

Dave Lane
12-16-2012, 10:54 PM
But....But...he's a selfish overrated player.

Yeah I know, I heard it directly from Black Boob.

RealSNR
12-16-2012, 10:56 PM
I wish Mellinger would stop obsessing over meaningless things like 2012 Chiefs games.

He should start writing about important matters like Geno Smith. Or SOC. Or firing Pioli. Or head coaches. Or the #1 overall pick and what it means in a battle of suck. ANYTHING but the worthless details of a Chiefs loss.

O.city
12-16-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm also assuming that with a normal coaching staff, Breaston is activated. Bowe and Breaston would be a solid group of WR's to start with. We need some speed at the position though.

Saccopoo
12-16-2012, 11:01 PM
I wish Mellinger would stop obsessing over meaningless things like 2012 Chiefs games.

He should start writing about important matters like Geno Smith. Or SOC. Or firing Pioli. Or head coaches. Or the #1 overall pick and what it means in a battle of suck. ANYTHING but the worthless details of a Chiefs loss.

Seriously.

Like anyone would be happy with a win today. Fucking Mellinger should be writing how fantastic these guys were in a tankfest, out tanking the uber-tanking Raiders.

You think any of these players like Pioli or playing under Crennel and Daboll?

These guys should be given medals and keys to the city after this epic level tankery. All of them should be considered for Chiefs Ring of Fame if Pioli ends up fired and we draft Geno.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2012, 11:03 PM
What's amazing is that the team really was trying.

Quinn bitching at Lilja for not snapping the ball was hilarious.

These guys were trying to win. And their best effort against the 32nd defense was 119 total yards.

How foolish we were to ever be scared of them winning.

-King-
12-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Last month, Crennel fired himself as defensive coordinator because he wanted to spend more time and attention on the offense. The Chiefs were averaging 357.5 yards and 16.6 points then. They’re averaging 270.3 yards and 10.3 points since.

ROFL

MMXcalibur
12-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Jesus Christ, what a mess this team has become.

jspchief
12-17-2012, 12:29 AM
I don't think Mellinger is going to get a christmas card from the Chiefs.

Bob Dole
12-17-2012, 04:35 AM
How foolish we were to ever be scared of them winning.

And how funny is it that this isn't the first time this has been said this season.

AussieChiefsFan
12-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Whole new level of suck.

NJChiefsFan
12-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Yeah I know, I heard it directly from Black Boob.

And an alarmingly high amount of others as well.

Exactly. To me its a massive waste of time to even talk about what Romeo does unless its just to make a joke. He isn't going to be here, so who cares what decisions he is making. It goes to show that even when the media tries to act like they know what the team needs, they just don't really understand.

I don't really feel like searching, but didn't he use this exact title for his article last week? Not that it isn't accurate.

Rausch
12-17-2012, 05:04 AM
The culmination of Pioli's 4 year plan.

When he's fired I'll feel like a 10 year old on Christmas...

AussieChiefsFan
12-17-2012, 05:08 AM
When he's fired I'll feel like a 10 year old on Christmas...http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj239/Wynautgirl/Gifs/omgscreamnoway.gifhttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6US_8PQc7W8/UKZSsbG6ZqI/AAAAAAAAKzk/gPAgNbiPh6E/s400/tumblr_m1e56tgYui1rqnz7wo1_500.gif
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GJUe6SZjxQQ/UKZT5TpDqjI/AAAAAAAAKz0/f2Nm8nteQSQ/s400/41j7c8kndu6cveez8zc8hg2.gif
all of these

RunKC
12-17-2012, 05:09 AM

Be patient SNR.

Those article will be here within 2 weeks and the Geno articles will be here this Spring.

FAX
12-17-2012, 06:14 AM

It's all part of Pioli's 5 millennium plan.

FAX

Marcellus
12-17-2012, 07:27 AM
My favorite part -

Major changes are all but a certainty now, and how the (presumably) new decision-makers handle the offensive personnel will tell us plenty about whether they think it was the roster or coaches that ruined this season.

Then again, maybe they’ll see it the way most of us do and blame both.