PDA

View Full Version : Life Where you live vs. Where you grew up

La literatura
12-18-2012, 02:12 PM
How many here live as independent adults in the same town that they grew up in? Do you like this sort of stability and sense of community? Do you want to get away?

Poll on the way . . .

loochy
12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
nope.

moved with my parents elsewhere

went to college elsewhere elsewhere

got a job elsewhere elsewhere elsewhere

bevischief
12-18-2012, 02:14 PM
In before poll.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Also in before poll.

Dayze
12-18-2012, 02:15 PM
grew up in lenexa; lived in CA for 4 years; came back; moved to MIssouri; now back in the house I grew up in.

Grim
12-18-2012, 02:17 PM
If my home town (Ottumwa, IA) had any "real" jobs to offer I might have stayed. It would have been nice to stay close to my extended family.

La literatura
12-18-2012, 02:17 PM
grew up in lenexa; lived in CA for 4 years; came back; moved to MIssouri; now back in the house I grew up in.

I've thought about doing that. It's kind of a British, like landed aristocracy. Do you call your home the Dayze Manor?

Dayze
12-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I've thought about doing that. It's kind of a British, like landed aristocracy. Do you call your home the Dayze Manor?

no. but I probably should call it that. what, with the moat and all.

CaliforniaChief
12-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Grew up in Iowa, have lived in California a total of 13 years now. I don't plan on living in California forever, but I'm not going back to Iowa.

Would consider Texas (again), Colorado, Missouri/Kansas, North/South Carolina, Georgia, or Virginia.

Dayze
12-18-2012, 02:30 PM
move to Olathe; it's always sunny and 75 degrees there.

ptlyon
12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Half a mile as the crow flies

HemiEd
12-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Grew up in Wichita, the true Mid-West. Moved to Chicago for a job 17 years ago, and I don't consider it the Mid-West even though they all call it that.

We are going to retire in Missouri in a couple years.

Frosty
12-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I marked "same region" since we moved all over Washington and Oregon when I was a kid. I went to high school in Silverton and Salem, OR, so I consider that "where I grew up" but I'm 500 miles away in a different state and don't really think I would ever want to move back.

If I had to move and could get a job there, I would love to live in the Bend/Redmond area of eastern Oregon..

keg in kc
12-18-2012, 02:47 PM
I live far away from where I grew up and I will never go back.

kc rush
12-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Born and raised in KCMO. Lived in Kirksville MO for a while, Des Moines, back to Kirksville. Moved to Prairie Village for a couple of years, then to Olathe for several years. To Lincoln NE for a few years and now back to Olathe (I came back for the weather).

seclark
12-18-2012, 03:22 PM
grew up all over missouri. went to 13 different schools before i graduated hs. since then, i've lived within 20 miles from where i graduated.
sec

theelusiveeightrop
12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Same state, but 200 miles away.

Dayze
12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Omaha grew up in Nebraska, but lives at a Bally's.

:Poke::D

2bikemike
12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Born in KCK. Lived in Nebraska, South Dakota, Missouri, Arizona, California and Kansas while my father served in the Airforce.

I joined the Navy after high school while living in KCK. While in the Navy I lived in Illinois, Pennsylvania, and California.

After the Navy I Iived exclusively in California.

The two.places I claim to have grown up are KCK and the Mojave desert in Calif.

KC native
12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Born and raised right next to the stadiums and went to Raytown High (KCMO address though).

I left to go to school and I won't be moving back to KC until I'm an old man if at all. Every time I go back another friend I grew up with has either died or been sent to prison.

Fort Worth is easy to live in (especially compared to KC). I would consider moving to Boston, NYC, or Cali.

JASONSAUTO
12-18-2012, 03:38 PM
grew up in armourdale, kcks. lived there until i was 21. moved a couple hours away and have lived here ever since. i fucking love it here and wont ever live anywhere but the country again.

but talk about a culture shock.

Guru
12-18-2012, 03:39 PM
I tried to get out but am still stuck here.

Ceej
12-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Born and raised in Wichita.

Currently reside in Topeka.

Talk about a step backward.

But, I wouldn't change things.

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Let's see, grew up in KC, went to college in Pittsburg, graduated and moved back to KC for 2 years, moved to Denver for a year, got married and moved to San Francisco for 2 years, moved to Las Vegas for 8 years and am in Denver for the past 9 years.

No plans on moving back to KC, but will go wherever my career takes me (as soon as I get a new job)

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I've never lived more than 10 miles away from where I grew up. I think about living elsewhere every once in a while, but I have no real reason to leave here.

Ceej
12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I would love to live around the Las Vegas area.

SomeRandomGirl
12-18-2012, 04:24 PM
From KCK. Currently in Iowa. We'd go back to KC in a heartbeat, but unfortunately the railroad won't allow it without losing all seniority.

Stanley Nickels
12-18-2012, 04:24 PM
My wife and I were both born in KC; she lived primarily in northern JoCo; I lived in a number of places around the metro. Went to Mizzou, moved back. I'd like to move away (I think the wife would, too) but I'm still working on getting over the shit my parents would give me. The joy of being an only child.

alanm
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Grew up in Wichita, the true Mid-West. Moved to Chicago for a job 17 years ago, and I don't consider it the Mid-West even though they all call it that.

We are going to retire in Missouri in a couple years.Anything East of the Mississippi I call the Mideast.

Rain Man
12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't see myself ever leaving the West. I was born in the Midwest, but I'm supposed to be here.

I'm sure there are other places that I would really like. I was just in New Orleans this weekend and really liked it, and I've enjoyed jaunts in other places, but I'm a western guy now.

I don't know if I could live there forever, but I was in Moab last month and really liked that place.

headsnap
12-18-2012, 04:45 PM
growing up we moved all over the place west of the Mississippi... Phoenix, El Paso, Denver, Dallas, KC, etc... I spent the most time in the KC area(OP and Leawood).

Put roots down in Louisville, KY and we are here to stay!

scott free
12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
I live far away from where I grew up and I will never go back.

Thats exactly what i said, and it stuck for a good twenty years... then, my long lost pappy moved back and i decided to start up with him again.

Moved back and he died a month later, now i'm kinda stuck in this turdburg.

listopencil
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Born in Newport News, Virginia. Live near Redding, California.

sd4chiefs
12-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Born and raised in KC. Lived there for over 40 years. Moved to San Diego 16 years ago and I am not moving back.

GloryDayz
12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Born in Norfolk VA, moved to Yokohama Japan, moved to Charleston SC, moved to Rome Italy, moved to Va. Beach VA (for a long time - call it home), moved to Annapolis MD, moved to San Diego CA, moved to Vallejo CA, moved to Va. Beach VA (again), moved to Groton CT, moved to Charleston SC, moved to Va. Beach VA, moved to Overland Park KS, moved to Lee's Summit.

The end...

lewdog
12-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Born and raised in small town Montana, lived in Spokane, Washington for 2 years while in graduate school. Now living in Phoenix Metro.

If I do go back to live in Montana it would actually be for retirement or do the snowbird thing if possible. I want to live in the KC area at some point in my life too, something like Overland Park.

ROYC75
12-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Grew up in Louisburg,Ks, lived in Derby,Ks, Aransas Pass,Tx, LaCygne,Ks,KCK, Beechmont,Ky & Greenville,Ky.

Always have had plans to move back to the KC area, just awaiting the right time.

listopencil
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Born in Norfolk VA, moved to Yokohama Japan, moved to Charleston SC, moved to Rome Italy, moved to Va. Beach VA (for a long time - call it home), moved to Annapolis MD, moved to San Diego CA, moved to Vallejo CA, moved to Va. Beach VA (again), moved to Groton CT, moved to Charleston SC, moved to Va. Beach VA, moved to Overland Park KS, moved to Lee's Summit.

The end...

I've got you beat.

BigRedChief
12-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I would love to live around the Las Vegas area.Why?

splatbass
12-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Grew up in Missouri, have lived in Hawaii for 20 years, about as far from MO as you can get and still be in the US. I have no plans to go back.

Hog Farmer
12-18-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking seriously about moving to Alaska. My hands are cramping and I'm gonna have to call it quits.

Fruit Ninja
12-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Born in Los Angeles (Torrance to be exact) moved to Merced when i was ab out 6, been here every since.

I actually love living here. Its in the middle of california, 2-3 hours to the bay 4-5 hours to L.A Middle of everything.

Aries Walker
12-18-2012, 08:30 PM
I was born in Kansas City, but moved to Delaware, then to Aspen Hill, Maryland - a suburb of Washington DC - when I was four. Between then and now, 41 years, I've moved a net total of a little less than two miles.

What can I say, I like it here.

Rain Man
12-18-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm thinking seriously about moving to Alaska. My hands are cramping and I'm gonna have to call it quits.

I think I'd move to Kodiak, or maybe Juneau. They're nice places.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Born and raised in small town Montana, lived in Spokane, Washington for 2 years while in graduate school. Now living in Phoenix Metro.

If I do go back to live in Montana it would actually be for retirement or do the snowbird thing if possible. I want to live in the KC area at some point in my life too, something like Overland Park.
Everywhere you've lived so far is better than OP.

lewdog
12-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Everywhere you've lived so far is better than OP.

haha why is that?

WV
12-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Love where I was born, no plans on moving away.

ClevelandBronco
12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
You might be able to get me to move back to Cleveland if you had a really large gun and a young, crazy white guy to give it to.

On second thought, no, you couldn't.

La literatura
12-18-2012, 09:10 PM

You ever use your mouth?

GloryDayz
12-18-2012, 09:11 PM
I've got you beat.

With "Born in Newport News, Virginia. Live near Redding, California"?

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-18-2012, 09:12 PM
haha why is that?
No people in Montana, no winter in Phoenix, and the PNW is awesome. KC is just a big city in the midwest.

SLAG
12-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Grew up in Newton Kansas - Moved to Prairie Village (1yr) - Moved back to Newton(1yr) - Moved to Olathe - Moved to Lawrence(1yr) - Moved to lenexa (2yr)- moved to Olathe - Moved to Hanover Park (Chicago Suburb) IL (18mo)- Moved back to Olathe

lewdog
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
No people in Montana, no winter in Phoenix, and the PNW is awesome. KC is just a big city in the midwest.

Overland Park in continually rated as one of the best places to raise a family and for me is relatively close to two teams I give way too many ****s
about. :D

But yea, I am digging this whole no winter thing!

NewChief
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Born in Conway, AR.

Move to Fayetteville for college and graduate school.

Moved to Ft. Collins, CO for a few years with wife while she finished graduate school.

Returned to Fayetteville, and I really wouldn't want to live too many other places.... certainly not in my home town.

oldman
12-18-2012, 09:52 PM
We moved a few times when I was growing up, but I'll use where I graduated from high school as a base. I'm within 20 miles. When I retired the first time, I couldn't get out of Topeka fast enough.

SCTrojan
12-19-2012, 03:14 AM
Born in Hawaii. Grew up in Kansas. Went to school at USC. Spent 20+ years in the Army living all over the world. Now live in DC. Will go back to KC area eventually

Pushead2
12-19-2012, 03:24 AM
no need to leave NYC.