PDA

View Full Version : Life Skipping out on jury duty

cdcox
12-20-2012, 12:21 AM
So tomorrow is the last day of a two week stint on jury duty. Our instructions are to call a certain number every day after 5 PM to see if we are needed for the following day. So far court has been in session 5 of the 8 days for which we were called to serve. There is a pool of about 40 jurors and no more than 12 are hearing a case at any given time.

Tonight I called the number and the same message as yesterday has been playing: "Today is Tuesday. All jurors serving in the ongoing case please report for duty on Wednesday. All other jurors do not need to report. However call this number again after 5:00 PM on Wednesday to get instructions for Thursday."

Well it is way past 5:00 PM and we still don't have instructions about whether to report for Thursday. Do you show up considering both the oncoming holidays and zombie apocalypse, and considering the judge seems really nice?

Bump
12-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Show up. Here in Boston, I got selected but luckily I called and it got cancelled. I believe it's jail time and a $2,000 fine for not showing up. Prosecutors probably salivate thinking about that.

cdcox
12-20-2012, 12:48 AM
Yeah, obviously I will show up. I was wondering if most folks would do the same. So far they have run a pretty tight ship. I just wish they had not broken protocol.

SPchief
12-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Yeah, obviously I will show up. I was wondering if most folks would do the same. So far they have run a pretty tight ship. I just wish they had not broken protocol.

Obviously show up and hope they send you home early

cdcox
12-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Obviously show up and hope they send you home early

Out of 8 days I have served a total of 6 hours. I doubt anyone on our panel has served more than 15 so far.

rabblerouser
12-20-2012, 01:20 AM
I would show up like an hour early, chomping at the bit, acting all eager-beaver : 'When are we gonna get to see the guy who did it!!?? I can spot a guilty person just like THAT!!' And snap your fingers a lot for emphasis when you talk.

DaneMcCloud
12-20-2012, 01:21 AM
LMAO

This forum never ceases to amaze

12-20-2012, 01:23 AM
nah

listopencil
12-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Show up naked, covered in blood. It'll be a hoot.

listopencil
12-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey guyz I lit up my oil lantern and set it on top of my dog, who is sleeping on the couch. I am getting sleepy and want to go to bed. Should I put the lantern out first?

Noes ◘
Yeah ◙

Demonpenz
12-20-2012, 06:34 AM
Do I do the right thing. Or the Wrong thing.

Fire Me Boy!
12-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Do I do the right thing. Or the Wrong thing.

Or capitalize Random words.

Deberg_1990
12-20-2012, 07:45 AM
DOnt show up and lets see what happens...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-20-2012, 07:49 AM
I hope to avoid jury duty by never voting.

Predarat
12-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Someday I want to be on a jury for a person shooting an intruder/home invader so I can let them free. They shouldn't be in court anyways. Luckily our state does not usually drag people to court for shit like that.

Amnorix
12-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Show up. Here in Boston, I got selected but luckily I called and it got cancelled. I believe it's jail time and a $2,000 fine for not showing up. Prosecutors probably salivate thinking about that.

Failure to show up here will get you a bench warrant for your arrest so you can have an "audience" with the judge and explain why you "choose poorly."

BlackHelicopters
12-20-2012, 08:07 AM
I send the notice back stating that I worked on and donated heavily to the prosecuting attorneys campaign. Never hear from the county again.

Bwana
12-20-2012, 08:24 AM
I hope to avoid jury duty by never voting.

I have some bad news for you, if you drive a car. It would seem that's how your name gets put into the pool these days in a lot of places, including here, not if you're signed up to vote.

As far as the question, in most case I would indeed show up. I have done the jury trial gig three times. At one point, I was called in and was about to go to Hawaii with my wife. I had paid for everything and there was no way the court was going to refund my 7-8k I had tied up into the trip. I talked to the judge about it and he said he would "think about it, but didn't think he was going to let me off."

His response really pissed me off so I told he I would not be showing up and if he didn't like it, he chould have Johnny law come and pick me up when I got back from Hawaii.

I went to Hawaii and didn't hear a word.

WV
12-20-2012, 08:47 AM
All we have to do is write a letter with a decent excuse and we can get out of it.

A Salt Weapon
12-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey guyz I lit up my oil lantern and set it on top of my dog, who is sleeping on the couch. I am getting sleepy and want to go to bed. Should I put the lantern out first?

Noes ?
Yeah ?

:lmao:
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
So I called again this morning at 7:00. Finally the recording had been up dated and we have all been dismissed.

Funny thing is that my jury duty was initially scheduled for July. I miss read the letter and somehow thought it said September. I completely missed it. At the beginning of August my wife found the summons among the bills and told me that I had missed it. So I called the court and was all apologetic. The clerk was going to schedule me foe Oct, but I told her that was a very busy month for me and asked if she had anything in Dec, which she agreed to.

Our jury group had only two civil trials to hear. the judge just read the names alphabetically from the pool. I was called to the jury box on the first, but was removed by one of the lawyers, which was fine by me. In the second trial I never made it to the box'

sd4chiefs
12-20-2012, 10:23 AM
My SIL got stuck on Federal Grand Jury Duty and she has to report once a week for 18 months.

CoMoChief
12-20-2012, 10:24 AM
If the defendant is black....play the racist card everytime...all the time. You'll get out of it.

luv
12-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I have some bad news for you, if you drive a car. It would seem that's how your name gets put into the pool these days in a lot of places, including here, not if you're signed up to vote.

Same in Missouri.

On a side note, I don't get why everyone always tries to get out of their civic duty.

Rain Man
12-20-2012, 11:28 AM
So I called again this morning at 7:00. Finally the recording had been up dated and we have all been dismissed.

Funny thing is that my jury duty was initially scheduled for July. I miss read the letter and somehow thought it said September. I completely missed it. At the beginning of August my wife found the summons among the bills and told me that I had missed it. So I called the court and was all apologetic. The clerk was going to schedule me foe Oct, but I told her that was a very busy month for me and asked if she had anything in Dec, which she agreed to.

Our jury group had only two civil trials to hear. the judge just read the names alphabetically from the pool. I was called to the jury box on the first, but was removed by one of the lawyers, which was fine by me. In the second trial I never made it to the box'

If you got arrested for skipping out on jury duty and your case went to trial, could you argue that any jury would be biased against you since they actually showed up?

Dayze
12-20-2012, 11:38 AM
"I'd make a great jurror. I can spot a guilty mother fucker a mile away"

Lzen
12-20-2012, 01:10 PM
DOnt show up and lets see what happens...

I like this idea.

Wait, do they let you post to CP from jail?

Dayze
12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
tell them you have a raging case of herpes.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Same in Missouri.

On a side note, I don't get why everyone always tries to get out of their civic duty.

LMAO

frankotank
12-20-2012, 03:41 PM
If the defendant is black....play the racist card everytime...all the time. You'll get out of it.

nah. just tell them you're pretty sure the jews did it.
VIOLA!
NO JURY DUTY FOR YOU!

http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/larry-thomas-soup-nazi-autographed-photograph-soup-inscription-3367076.jpg

frankotank
12-20-2012, 03:45 PM
that's gold bitches! GOLD!

12-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Same in Missouri.

Because people think the courts are pointless theses days. People getting off on technicalities and all that bullshit. I have absolutely no desire to serve on a jury these days because I will never feel like justice can truly ever be served.