PDA

View Full Version : Football Ray Lewis retiring at the end of the season

The Franchise
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Ray Lewis announced he is retiring at the end of the season.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

So Ray Lewis says he'll retire at end of the season. And as I've been reporting Ed Reed could be gone too. Sun could be last game for both

MotherfuckerJones
01-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Could be interesting for Ravens next year and that defense

Rain Man
Thank you for helping my morale after a tough season. Let's just hope that he fades away and doesn't get a job at a network. His ego makes Terrell Owens look like a trappist monk.

OnTheWarpath15
Damn.

Gonna miss watching that guy play. One of the best.

Dayze
Best LB of all time, IMO.
if not, definitely top 3.

I'd loved to have had a LB like that.

Mile High Mania
01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Good careers.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Crime Rates will rise if Ray Ray quits playing.....

MotherfuckerJones
01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Would not want to be the Colts this weekend. They will play all out

Bowser
01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Definitely the best linebacker of the last 15 years. It was fun watching him on the field.

Rain Man
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Crime Rates will rise if Ray Ray quits playing.....

In his retirement announcement, he said he hopes to spend more time working in the community and stabbing people.

Dayze
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
lol

Bump
01-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Best linebacker to ever play IMO. That man is gonna make one hell of a head coach someday.

MotherfuckerJones
I remember watching Chiefs v Ravens in 99 and be awed by Ray Ray

lcarus
I still remember him cryin like a bitch on MNF when Tony Richardson and the o-line kept targeting him with double teams and such lol. "ITS NOT POSSIBLE!"

morphius
01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I still remember him cryin like a bitch on MNF when Tony Richardson and the o-line kept targeting him with double teams and such lol. "ITS NOT POSSIBLE!"
No, the best part was him complaining about being double teamed when in fact it was normally either T Rich or one of the Guards taking him out of the play 1 on 1.

lcarus
01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
No, the best part was him complaining about being double teamed when in fact it was normally either T Rich or one of the Guards taking him out of the play 1 on 1.

Lol true. There were definitely a couple double teams in there too though. Good times.

gblowfish
01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Hire him as our next DC!

gblowfish
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM

The game he got stoned in, he was being owned by Will Shields. That's one reason Shields will be in the Pro Football HOF soon.

Hammock Parties
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I bet he'll be the next guy to do something horrible in retirement.

Chief Roundup
01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Ray and Ed will huge losses for the defense and team.

The Ravens might be headed into a retooling period after this season. The loss of a couple of 1st ballot HoF players.

rabblerouser
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM

well, he's gotta be the first NFL rookie to be investigated for double homicide...

adios, Killer.

lcarus
01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
The game he got stoned in, he was being owned by Will Shields. That's one reason Shields will be in the Pro Football HOF soon.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z6oRy0p5Byo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rabblerouser
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z6oRy0p5Byo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the good ol' days...

Chief Roundup
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM

Sure hope not. He is a very charismatic person. He is very passionate and has done a lot of traveling giving motivational speeches. Ray should be able to do whatever he would like to next whether that is a motivational speaker, coach or some other position within the world of football.

Simplicity
01-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Well I would hope Will Shields took him out on that play. The guy has how many pounds on Ray?

OmahaChief
01-02-2013, 11:31 AM

Highly doubt it. His son committed to play football at Miami so I think that will help keep him out of trouble.

lcarus
the good ol' days...

Yep. Now I'm off on a tangent...watching Priest Holmes and Dante Hall videos on youtube. God damn it.

suds79
Well I would hope Will Shields took him out on that play. The guy has how many pounds on Ray?

So what we learned is that a 320 lb man generally wins vs a 260 lb man? Got it.

lcarus
01-02-2013, 11:32 AM

It wasn't that he blocked him. It was Ray's reaction to us running down their throats that was funny. Couldn't find that though

morphius
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Highly doubt it. His son committed to play football at Miami so I think that will help keep him out of trouble.
I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up as a talking head on one of the NFL pregame shows, or some show on the NFL channel.

ChiefMojo
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
One has to remember that Ed Reed is likely to retire after this season also. The Ravens are going to look a lot different (they have already been playing without key guys from time to time anyways). Newsome is a awesome GM but he is going to have to strike gold again. At this moment the Ravens are who they are... a 10 win team that is aging fast.

Ray Lewis is arguably one of the top 3 greatest LB's of all-time!

The Franchise
01-02-2013, 11:34 AM
I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up as a talking head on one of the NFL pregame shows, or some show on the NFL channel.

I believe that he's stated before that he wants to coach at Miami.....the Hurricanes...not the Dolphins.

Chief Roundup
01-02-2013, 11:35 AM

He would be good on Inside the NFL if they still even produce that show anymore.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Sadface....

I loved watching the guy play. One of the best ever.

Simplicity

Considering Will Shields is a HOFer and his job is that.... Yes.

DaKCMan AP
Ray Lewis is one of the best to ever play LB (don't forget LT & Butkus).

Ed Reed is the 2nd best safety of all time, IMO (behind Ronnie Lott).

lcarus
This guy is fit to coach a fuckin defense. Talk about a good motivator

DJ's left nut
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
the good ol' days...

Damn.

Terrell Suggs has been around a lot longer than I thought. I would not have expected to see him in that clip.

ptlyon
01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Now watch, Clark will be flying to Baltimore to interview him for a head coaching position...

lcarus
01-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Come on Clark. Affter Balt loses throw the checkbook at this guy for DC or LB coach lol. I'd take Ray Ray motivating Hali, Houston, DJ and company

bobbything
01-02-2013, 11:43 AM
It wasn't that he blocked him. It was Ray's reaction to us running down their throats that was funny. Couldn't find that though
That game was great. We were 0-3 at that point in the season. Our offense just dominated their front 7 that game. They had Lewis mic'd up and he was constantly bitching about being dominated.

I remember one of the TD's we ran a play action and threw it to Jason Dunn (who caught all of like 10 passes the whole season). Lewis' response was something along the lines of, "Just takin' whatever they can get!"

That always made me laugh. As if somehow the TD wasn't worth as much because Dunn caught the pass.

Strongside
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Hire this guy as DC.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
That game was great. We were 0-3 at that point in the season.

If i remember right, we were 0-4 before that game? Overall, an extremely disappointing season.

chagrin
01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
sorry if repost

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8803174/ray-lewis-baltimore-ravens-says-retiring-season

Dante84
01-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Thread done.

Dayze
01-02-2013, 11:48 AM
on the front page holmes.

lcarus
01-02-2013, 11:49 AM
That game was great. We were 0-3 at that point in the season. Our offense just dominated their front 7 that game. They had Lewis mic'd up and he was constantly bitching about being dominated.

I remember one of the TD's we ran a play action and threw it to Jason Dunn (who caught all of like 10 passes the whole season). Lewis' response was something along the lines of, "Just takin' whatever they can get!"

That always made me laugh. As if somehow the TD wasn't worth as much because Dunn caught the pass.

Yeah lol. Great times. I remember that game well for some reason. Dante Hall winning it on his return. I recall feeling really high after that win. Even though, like you said, we were only 1-3

lcarus
01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Hire this guy as DC.

I'm with you lol. Nice sig btw. Can you send me a red cap and a speedo?

Deberg_1990
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM

If i remember right, we were 0-4 before that game? Overall, an extremely disappointing season.

Nope, you were right...we started 0-3, but were 1-4 at one point.

lcarus
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM

Didn't we end up 10-6 and missing out on the playoffs because we needed Pitt to lose to Detroit? Or was that a different season?

Deberg_1990
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Didn't we end up 10-6 and missing out on the playoffs because we needed Pitt to lose to Detroit? Or was that a different season?

The Ravens game mentioned was 2004. We finished 7-9. You are thinking of the next year 2005.

bobbything
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
We could have been, but I thought it was only 0-3; because I remember hearing some stat that said no team that started 0-4 had ever made the playoffs. Then we won that game and everyone thought we were golden.

That season was frustrating. Our defense was just as bad as it was the previous season. Our offense started off a little sputtery at the beginning too, which didn't help things. That Carolina game we could have easily won. We were on the one yard line going in to score, up 7, and, for whatever reason, we decided to pass. Green throws a pick-6 that was run back about 105 yards. Instead of being up by 14, the game was tied. It went to hell after that.

We followed up that Ravens performance with a bad loss at Jacksonville.

Green threw too many INTs early on. He snapped out of it but it was too little too late. We lost a lot of close games that year.

Iowanian
01-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Count me on the list who doesn't think he's a top LB.

He's good yes, but he's been part of a good system and surrounded by great talent.

I've always thought he was an asshole and haven't forgotten his being part of a murder. He shouldn't even be in the league IMO.

Won't miss him and I don't really like Baltimore, so I guess it's a bonus.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Just looked it up.....you were right Bobby.

We were actually 3-8 at one point in 2004. Ouch.......

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/2004.htm

listopencil
01-02-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm sure it will be a very intense retirement.

Simplicity
01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
bbQQQQQQQQQQ

Rain Man
01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
We could have been, but I thought it was only 0-3; because I remember hearing some stat that said no team that started 0-4 had ever made the playoffs. Then we won that game and everyone thought we were golden.

That season was frustrating. Our defense was just as bad as it was the previous season. Our offense started off a little sputtery at the beginning too, which didn't help things. That Carolina game we could have easily won. We were on the one yard line going in to score, up 7, and, for whatever reason, we decided to pass. Green throws a pick-6 that was run back about 105 yards. Instead of being up by 14, the game was tied. It went to hell after that.

Green threw too many INTs early on. He snapped out of it but it was too little too late. We lost a lot of close games that year.

Wow. I don't even remember all of the games from this season. I'm feeling a little inadequate right now.

jd1020
01-02-2013, 12:00 PM
I love the "sorry if repost."

I'm sorry for anyone that asks something of you, you lazy ****! It's only in the first few threads on the front fucking page!

Fire Me Boy!
01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Completely new news!

rabblerouser
01-02-2013, 12:07 PM

I remember Tynes missing a couple kicks that actually cost us a game or two.

Opening up in Denver that year on MNF was a bad omen. Eric Hicks biting on that that bootleg and Bartee giving up the sluggo...

That Jacksonville game just kind of...slipped away. It was so imminently winnable...

The Atlanta and Indy game were the highlights. And when we beat the sleeves off Denver @ Arrowhead, but we had already lost 9 games by then...

And I thought that season was just SO horrible. HA!

bobbything
01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Wow. I don't even remember all of the games from this season. I'm feeling a little inadequate right now.
I don't remember many of them, but I remember a few because they stung. I was at that Carolina game and in the end-zone when Green threw that pick. 14 point swing right there.

I remember the Atlanta game where we scored 50+ points and every single one of the TDs were rushing. Atlanta came in with the #1 rushing defense and we blew a nasty fart in their face by running for like 500 yards. That game got Blaylock a fat contract from New York.

I remember beating Indy too that year. That was fun.

Those Vermeil teams weren't great, but they were good. And that offense gave us every opportunity to win every single game. Many Vermeil bashers slam him because he never won anything. But even with that horrid defense, I felt like we had a chance every game.

I thought that 10-6 team in 2005 was very, very good. We missed the playoffs but I felt like we could beat just about anyone. The Philly game and the Dallas game we had no business losing. None. We could have very easily been 12-4 that year and we were playing very well at the end.

I would have taken us against anyone in the playoffs.

So sad to see us now; even if it wasn't ever "great".

Rain Man
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM

He's good yes, but he's been part of a good system and surrounded by great talent.

I've always thought he was an asshole and haven't forgotten his being part of a murder. He shouldn't even be in the league IMO.

This is more or less my opinion, too. I'll recognize that he was a very good linebacker, but I tend to back away from players who are attention whores, and with his little dances and all of his ego speeches, I found him quite annoying. I think he sold his "great linebacker" stuff by getting in front of the cameras a lot and by being the "leader" of some really strong defenses.

mcaj22
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
This is more or less my opinion, too. I'll recognize that he was a very good linebacker, but I tend to back away from players who are attention whores, and with his little dances and all of his ego speeches, I found him quite annoying. I think he sold his "great linebacker" stuff by getting in front of the cameras a lot and by being the "leader" of some really strong defenses.

so everyone that has a dance or a pre-game speech is annoying?

Drew Brees, Lebron James, etc?

If this guy was dancing and pre-game speech in a Chiefs uniform you'd have 10 inch boner for him and be in love with him. That's the difference.

FloridaMan88
01-02-2013, 12:16 PM

You could say the same thing about Derrick Thomas... including the murderer part (the passenger in Thomas' car who was killed), not to mention 7 kids with 7 mothers.

Rain Man
01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
so everyone that has a dance or a pre-game speech is annoying?

Drew Brees, Lebron James, etc?

If this guy was dancing and pre-game speech in a Chiefs uniform you'd have 10 inch boner for him and be in love with him. That's the difference.

Honestly, everyone with a dance is indeed annoying to me. I'm a low-key guy that way. Pre-game speeches are not a huge issue for me, but then again we don't see them very often.

If Lewis was a Chief I would be more patient with him, most likely, but I'd still probably reach for the chip and dip whenever the camera showed him flailing around before the game.

I appreciate the 10-inch comment, though I wonder how you knew that.

Iowanian
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Hire him as our next DC!

Don't miss a tackle or he'll have you stabbed.

I can't see him ever coaching. He sure doesn't seem to have that demeanor.

Iowanian
01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
You could say the same thing about Derrick Thomas... including the murderer part (the passenger in Thomas' car who was killed), not to mention 7 kids with 7 mothers.

I could say similar things about DT, however DT harmed a friend, in an accident. Much different than having your home boys stab someone to death with knives.
It's like Comparing Josh Brent of the Cowboys to Jovan Belcher. Not the same.

As for LB, DT was a great pass rusher, but he definitely was a liability in run defense.

FloridaMan88
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I could say similar things about DT, however DT harmed a friend, in an accident. Much different than having your home boys stab someone to death with knives.

As for LB, DT was a great pass rusher, but he definitely was a liability in run defense.

He killed a friend due to his wreckless driving.

Rain Man
01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Don't miss a tackle or he'll have you stabbed.

I can't see him ever coaching. He sure doesn't seem to have that demeanor.

I'm not sure that a top player is really a good fit as a coach. I think the top players have good instincts and/or exceptional natural skills, and it's hard for them to recognize that not every player has those. If you're going to hire a former player, I think you're better off hiring some guy who was a marginal player, but stayed in the league because he really, really, really understood the game and maximized his limited abilities. It's kind of a Jim Harbaugh/Marty Schottenheimer/Don Shula/Tom Landry model as opposed to a Mike Singletary/Forrest Gregg/Raymond Berry/Bart Starr model. Has a big star ever been a highly successful coach?

Rain Man
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
He killed a friend due to his wreckless driving.

Or sadly, his unwreckless driving.

Iowanian
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah. That's not the same thing as the other option.
A friend dying in an accident is not the same as Stabbing a stranger to death.

Ray Lewis has been a very good Linebacker, but I'm going to stick to my opinion that he's over-hyped and over-rated. He's played his entire career with good linebackers on both sides, an aggressive scheme, solid safety play behind him and a stout front 3 keeping blockers off of him.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Lewis will end up coaching at some point imo

big nasty kcnut
01-02-2013, 01:09 PM
So ray ray retiring hide yo kids hide yo wife because he going to be looking to stab someone.

whoman69
01-02-2013, 01:22 PM
The Chiefs should call Lewis as soon as his season is done and offer him the LB coaching job.

Rugby Thompson
01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
over rated, move on.

WV
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
I'll hate the Ravens a little less once he's gone.

Cmd'r&Chief
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
I call shenanigans. This whole shtick is a manipulation of the media in attempt to motivate Joe Falco to not choke in the 4th quarter

rabblerouser
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah lol. Great times. I remember that game well for some reason. Dante Hall winning it on his return. I recall feeling really high after that win. Even though, like you said, we were only 1-3

No, that's from '03.

The '04 game was the one on MNF.

lcarus
01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I call shenanigans. This whole shtick is a manipulation of the media in attempt to motivate Joe Falco to not choke in the 4th quarter

Like last year when he basically sent the Ravens to the Super Bowl if not for Lee Evans.

Red And Yellow
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Anyone think he should take a stab at coaching?

OmahaChief
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Anyone think he should take a stab at coaching?

Not sure on coaching but I always liked the way he knifed through an offensive line to get to the ballcarrier.

Amnorix
01-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Best linebacker to ever play IMO. That man is gonna make one hell of a head coach someday.

Two words: Mike Singletary.

Sorter
01-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Two words: Mike Singletary.

He seems to be doing a solid job as a LB coach. I think that is where Ray is probably best suited as well.

notorious
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Bye.

FlaChief58
01-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Good, I hate that F'n guy. Hell of a player though, you can't take that away

Rugby Thompson
01-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Media is sucking this guys dick hardcore especially NFL network, so fkn annoying i swear. He's a good leader, yeah but they act like he won 10 super bowls. Jesus christ...

GoChargers
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Media is sucking this guys dick hardcore especially NFL network, so fkn annoying i swear. He's a good leader, yeah but they act like he won 10 super bowls. Jesus christ...

The fact that he, as a defensive player, led his team to a title in today's anti-defense, pass-first NFL is pretty damn impressive.

BlackHelicopters
01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Did Lewis murder anyone at the Presser announcing this?

bowener
01-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Watch the Ravens trade up at take Manti Te'o

FlaChief58
01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Watch the Ravens trade up at take Manti Te'o

Yup Pioli will trade our #1 for 2 7th rounders

bowener
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
over rated, move on.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/f/f3/Fanserviceftw_7538_Obvious_troll_is_obvious.jpg

bowener
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Yup Pioli will trade our #1 for 2 7th rounders

and Tyrod Taylor!!!!121

Red And Yellow
01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Not sure on coaching but I always liked the way he knifed through an offensive line to get to the ballcarrier.

Puns are fun

Garcia Bronco
01-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Hey Ray,

A bunch of people are going to swoon over your LB abilities and what-not, but I remember that you were involved in a double murder and refused to give testimony to put the killers in jail. I will always remember you as a convicted criminal who would have been thrown out of the Ginger Hammer's NFL.