PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Glenn Dorsey staying?

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Add Glenn Dorsey to growing list of players likely to end up staying with their current teams. KC really trying to retain its own talent ...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Dorsey was as good as gone under old regime, like Bowe. KC already has reworked Tyson Jackson, extended Bowe and franchised Branden Albert

RunKC
03-10-2013, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't mind keeping him as a rotational DL for a cheap price.

He's a good run stuffer.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Maybe they think he'll be better in a 1 gap.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Give him Cullen Jenkins type money.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Maybe they think he'll be better in a 1 gap.

:p

Hog Farmer
03-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I hope so. He has a head like a PittBull.

The Bad Guy
Was just about to post this.

Yes, it does look like he's staying.

There was optimism earlier in the week that he would. They think he'd be a lot better in the 1-gap as opposed to just eating up blockers.

Pestilence
Next year is the year to get that 1 gap DE in the 1st round.

O.city
Any other word BG?

The Bad Guy
But what I was told is that he's absolutely NOT going to be asked to play NT. They are keeping Poe there.

Pestilence

There was optimism earlier in the week that he would. They think he'd be a lot better in the 1-gap as opposed to just eating up blockers.

Who the fuck are they going to draft? Jeez.

Direckshun
Holy shit.

The Chiefs REALLY do not want to go DL with their first pick.

This is pretty weird, though... it's been widely documented that the Chiefs pathetic passrush is because Dorsey and Jackson can't get to the passer. But maybe they think they have a special talent in Poe.

I do love me some Dorsey, though. Guy plays pissed off against the run.

If you had honestly told me the Chiefs could retain Albert, Bowe, AND Dorsey this offseason, I would have told you you're full of shit.

It just seemed less and less likely that the Chiefs could land Canty. Then they were making moves on DeVito, apparently that's not going anywhere?

I don't know what that says about Dorsey, though, that he'd prefer to stay in a 3-4 than in his more natural position of a 4-3 DT.

Maybe he just really loves KC.

Canofbier
Glad to hear it, honestly. He hasn't lived up to his draft slot, but he's been a solid contributor during his tenure here. Maybe we'll hear something within the next couple of days.

The Bad Guy
03-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Defensive coaches sent a video to Glenn about how they plan to use him. He wasn't staying if it was the old scheme and old regime.

Direckshun
But what I was told is that he's absolutely NOT going to be asked to play NT. They are keeping Poe there.

Thank god.

The Bad Guy
Who the **** are they going to draft? Jeez.

Whoever they determine is the best player available.

Dante84
03-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Hope he gets his shit together.

While making much less money.

Direckshun
03-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Defensive coaches sent a video to Glenn about how they plan to use him. He wasn't staying if it was the old scheme and old regime.

That is super cool.

You always get the best out of your players when they WANT to play your scheme.

From Day One Pioli arrived, Dorsey was forced into a scheme he apparently is fucking sick of playing.

Tells you all you need to know.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:14 PM
IIRC, one game against Denver in 11 he had a ridiculously good game when we changed up the front.

Superturtle
03-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Maybe we can give Dorsey those knee braces that Batman used in TDKR. Might be useful then.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
Jersery Shore: KC version, has left the building. YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh

The Bad Guy
That is super cool.

From Day One ***** arrived, Dorsey was forced into a scheme he apparently is ****ing sick of playing.

A beat writer that I've known for 15 years that covers the Jets said that Sutton told him he plans on using various fronts. Will be a base 3-4 but will have a lot of 4-3 packages as well. Put an emphasis about how they want pocket collapsing lineman and will give them the freedom to do that.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 07:16 PM
I know I'm gonna sound optimistic and don't want to turn this into another QB thread, but doesn't it seem like they are building this team to be playing without a first overall pick?

Like the guy they are might not play at all in year one.

RunKC
I hope they can get more of a pass rush in the 1 gap.

This read and react/holding blockers bullshit in the 2 gap pissed me off. Let them loose to attack up field every play.

The Bad Guy
I was also told that Dorsey did not attract the kind of attention he had hoped. So his price is likely very reasonable.

Direckshun
He's just a hard worker.

That said, this defense needs to get a lot meaner.

Jackson, Poe, and Dorsey are all promising players, but they're not very mean.

Really, the players on this defense that play with the most fire in their belly are Brandon Flowers and Dunta Robinson.

We need a tone setter in that front seven.

Hopefully they have somebody targeted in the draft to run Belcher's position that they feel can be that guy.

Hog Farmer
03-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I think we will see talent levels elevated to where they should be with this staff.

Direckshun
03-10-2013, 07:17 PM
A beat writer that I've known for 15 years that covers the Jets said that Sutton told him he plans on using various fronts. Will be a base 3-4 but will have a lot of 4-3 packages as well. Put an emphasis about how they want pocket collapsing lineman and will give them the freedom to do that.

Very, very interesting.

Canofbier
03-10-2013, 07:18 PM

That is super cool.

From Day One ***** arrived, Dorsey was forced into a scheme he apparently is ****ing sick of playing.

Cool indeed. The waters are awfully muddy about that first overall pick; Dorsey and Reid seem determined to go into the draft without any glaring needs. I think we may just have to wait until the draft to find out who we're taking, or if we've managed to find a trade partner.

Superturtle
He's just a hard worker.

That said, this defense needs to get a lot meaner.

Jackson, Poe, and Dorsey are all promising players, but they're not very mean.

Really, the players on this defense that play with the most fire in their belly are Brandon Flowers and Dunta Robinson.

We need a tone setter in that front seven.

Hopefully they have somebody targeted in the draft to run Belcher's position that they feel can be that guy.
Go resign Shawn Smith if you want a nasty attitude. Doesn't get much meaner than garbbing a guys nutsack

Direckshun
I know I'm gonna sound optimistic and don't want to turn this into another QB thread, but doesn't it seem like they are building this team to be playing without a first overall pick?

I'm 100% on the same page, BossChief.

With every move, this feels more and more like they are building to win now with Alex Smith, and store Geno away in the wings.

BossChief

I'm just glad to be seeing them want him back as a guy that might have a chance to live up to the hype that surrounded him as a draft prospect.

Ebolapox
03-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I was also told that Dorsey did not attract the kind of attention he had hoped. So his price is likely very reasonable.

you hearing any news on who we're interested at 1-1? I know it's kinda early, but anything would be appreciated.

The Bad Guy
Sad to say, I really think Joekel is going to be the pick unless they sign someone else.

O.city
I've come to terms with Joeckel, even if they want him to be the RT.

Count Zarth
03-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Fuck you, BossChief.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 07:21 PM

As expected. He hasn't even flashed top tier ability and comes with injury concerns, as well.

O.city
Setting ourselves up for a trade down looks like.

milkman
They've decided that Manti Teo is their guy./CoMo

Direckshun
Go resign Shawn Smith if you want a nasty attitude. Doesn't get much meaner than garbbing a guys nutsack

That was one of the reasons I love/loved having Smith on the team.

He has an attitude that REALLY needs to spread on this team.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Very nice news.

booger
03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
I keep envisioning some run stopping sets with Powe and Poe next to eachother here and there. Like the ravens use Ngata. Not for the base though.

Gonna be shit or get off the pot time for Allen Bailey

BossChief
**** you, BossChief.

Haha

Why?

RunKC
Sad to say, I really think Joekel is going to be the pick unless they sign someone else.

That's what I'm thinking.

We have to have a good OL for Alex Smith to succeed. It's crucial.

tredadda
Holy shit.

The Chiefs REALLY do not want to go DL with their first pick.

This is pretty weird, though... it's been widely documented that the Chiefs pathetic passrush is because Dorsey and Jackson can't get to the passer. But maybe they think they have a special talent in Poe.

I do love me some Dorsey, though. Guy plays pissed off against the run.

If you had honestly told me the Chiefs could retain Albert, Bowe, AND Dorsey this offseason, I would have told you you're full of shit.

It just seemed less and less likely that the Chiefs could land Canty. Then they were making moves on DeVito, apparently that's not going anywhere?

I don't know what that says about Dorsey, though, that he'd prefer to stay in a 3-4 than in his more natural position of a 4-3 DT.

Maybe he just really loves KC.

Considering this is a passing league, I kinda wish he played pissed against the pass.

Direckshun
03-10-2013, 07:23 PM

Oh man, that'll make me mad.

Cause a total meltdown on CP, too. I hope AustinChief is prepping the server.

BossChief
I think Jerrell Powe will be very effective in a 1 gap.

Everytime he got on the field, he got in there.

booger
with Farmer to the Browns are they looking to add Heckert? I saw the thread about the eagles scout but is there any more news on the FO? What about Childress?

Pestilence
03-10-2013, 07:24 PM
How big of a shit in Pioli's face would it be if this new regime actually got Dorsey and Jackson to perform?

ChiefsandO'sfan
Chiefs making progress on new deal for Dorsey
By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider
March 10, 2013 9:21 pm ET

The Kansas City Chiefs are still working hard to retain their own players and are making progress on a new deal for defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, according to league sources.

Dorsey is one of several talented high picks who had yet to reach their potential under the prior regime in Kansas City and it appeared he would be departing.

At the time Dorsey was placed on IR late in the season, both he and the team were bracing for a departure. But with Andy Reid and John Dorsey now running the club, an emphasis has been placed on keeping young talent and trying to better utilize it within a scheme and personnel fit.

Kansas City has reworked the deal of Tyson Jackson, extended Dwayne Bowe, franchised Branden Albert and, at this point, it would not be surprising if Dorsey ended up re-signing there prior to the market opening Tuesday afternoon.
Tags: Branden Albert, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Kansas City Chiefs, NFL

Count Zarth
Haha

Why?

Because you're going to spend the entire offseason pimping Dorsey as a penetrator.

candyman

I thought that too until they let Winston go. If we dont bring any OT's in soon I think its safe to say that pick isnt going to be Geno. :(

Jerm
03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh man, that'll make me mad.

Cause a total meltdown on CP, too. I hope AustinChief is prepping the server.

Wish we had a need at OLB...I want Dion Jordan to be the pick.

O.city
Seems our FO thinks he can/is a penetrator?

booger
I think Jerrell Powe will be very effective in a 1 gap.

Everytime he got in the field, he got in there.

they tweaked the scheme (Romeo's words) last preseason and Powe and others were really penetrating. Didn't carry over into the season though obviously.

BossChief
Because you're going to spend the entire offseason pimping Dorsey as a penetrator.

Why? I said that I thought he would be a good 1 gap nose.

I was wrong, if this info is true.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
You mean we are actually going to design a defense around the players strengths and not the other way around?

Huh, didn't know you could do that.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 07:27 PM
I thought that too until they let Winston go. If we dont bring any OT's in soon I think its safe to say that pick isnt going to be Geno. :(

I still think there is a less than 10% chance the pick is Geno, tbh. I'm just trying to keep hope alive in a hopeless situation.

Andy Reids Eagles threw it 616 times last year. I think Winston would struggle blocking that much....I also think Alex Smith will have trouble putting the ball in the air that much...but all of this is for another discussion in another thread.

This thread is for Dorsey, the penetrator.

Direckshun
03-10-2013, 07:30 PM
I still think there is a less than 10% chance the pick is Geno, tbh. I'm just trying to keep hope alive in a hopeless situation.

It really is hoping for too much, it seems.

The Bad Guy
03-10-2013, 07:31 PM
with Farmer to the Browns are they looking to add Heckert? I saw the thread about the eagles scout but is there any more news on the FO? What about Childress?

Browns have not released Childress from his contract yet.

Not real sure about the Player Personnel side. I think Joel Collier is running that and may shift into that role with Heckert coming in as assistant GM.

tredadda
03-10-2013, 07:34 PM

Andy Reids Eagles threw it 616 times last year. I think Winston would struggle blocking that much....I also think Alex Smith will have trouble putting the ball in the air that much...but all of this is for another discussion in another thread.

This thread is for Dorsey, the penetrator.

I actually could see us still going with him. I could see Dorsey viewing him much like ARod and could have him sit and learn a couple of seasons behind a serviceable starter (and at that point in his career, Favre was serviceable, not great).

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Rodgers wasn't the first overall pick. Sucks, but Geno dream ............dead and buried. Move on.

Bowser

Dorsey just needs to be cut loose so he can attack. I know he was a 4-3 DT monster at LSU, but have we ever just told him to go get after the quarterback/ball carrier since he's been here?

I hope we can sign him. I'd love to see what he can do in a 1-gap attack style 3-4.

BossChief
It really is hoping for too much, it seems.

Pro day and private workouts are very important with quarterbacks.

They have to be absolutely positive that if they pass on him that he won't go to Oakland and evicerate us for the next 15 years.

Count Zarth
03-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Reid and Dorsey are telling us Dorsey and Jackson are better than Jenkins and Canty in a 1-gap defense.

So we'll see how that works out.

I wouldn't be shocked to see us bottom 15 in run defense.

tredadda
03-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Rodgers wasn't the first overall pick. Sucks, but Geno dream ............dead and buried. Move on.

Still a first rounder and could very well have been the 1st overall had SF gone with him instead of Alex Smith considering both were neck and neck in the running for that spot.

The Bad Guy
Reid and Dorsey are telling us Dorsey and Jackson are better than Jenkins and Canty in a 1-gap defense.

Canty wants a lot from what I've heard.

Direckshun
It's too bad Andy Reid wasn't ushered in a year earlier.

Is there any doubt he would have given Brandon Carr every penny he wanted?

Count Zarth
03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
have we ever just told him to go get after the quarterback/ball carrier since he's been here?

Yes. He played in the nickel in 2009 and was terrible at it. His pass rush was terrible as a rookie the year before too.

tredadda
03-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Nope, he would have been paid and stayed here.

MotherfuckerJones
03-10-2013, 07:39 PM

I wouldn't be shocked to see us bottom 15 in run defense.

Or they didn't wana come here

Direckshun
03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
At the risk of turning this into another Geno thread, it really would be THE PERFECT situation for him here in Kansas City.

A team loaded with talent, Alex Smith proving himself for a year or two years.

Alex Smith, by the way, WHO WAS A FIRST OVERALL PICK.

He knows all the downfalls of it. He's struggled. He's succeeded. He knows how to handle it.

Would have been worth its weight in gold.

booger
03-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Browns have not released Childress from his contract yet.

Not real sure about the Player Personnel side. I think Joel Collier is running that and may shift into that role with Heckert coming in as assistant GM.

Maybe with Farmer being allowed to move now instead of after the draft it will let Childress out of his contract? Hard to tell with contract situations like that.

I noticed Collier was interviewed at the Combine on kcchiefs.com and thought it only showed well of him to stick around. Kind of suprising but he just seems to be the kind of guy who does his job quitely.

Director of College Scouting will be a key hire for them

MotherfuckerJones
03-10-2013, 07:41 PM
I know Dorsey isn't breaking the bank

Pestilence
03-10-2013, 07:42 PM
At the risk of turning this into another Geno thread, it really would be THE PERFECT situation for him here in Kansas City.

A team loaded with talent, Alex Smith proving himself for a year or two years.

Alex Smith, by the way, WHO WAS A FIRST OVERALL PICK.

He knows all the downfalls of it. He's struggled. He's succeeded. He knows how to handle it.

Would have been worth its weight in gold.

This.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:43 PM
The biggest hole on our team right now, is at RT. Couple need with BPA and voila, there is your likely draft pick.

Come to terms.

Bowser
03-10-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm 100% on the same page, BossChief.

With every move, this feels more and more like they are building to win now with Alex Smith, and store Geno away in the wings.It really has that feel, doesn't it? I'm not getting my hopes up, but any other year when the mouth breathers AREN'T proclaiming the draft class to be weak at QB....

Is there any doubt he would have given Brandon Carr every penny he wanted?Fuck no, especially considering we'd need as many good press corners as we could have gotten our hands on with the switch to an attack style defense.

Eat dicks, *****.

Pestilence
03-10-2013, 07:44 PM
The biggest hole on our team right now, is at RT. Couple need with BPA and voila, there is your likely draft pick.

Come to terms.

We don't know that. They could think that Allen or Stephenson can fill that spot at RT.

Bowser
03-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Come to terms.

Nope, not going to accept that at this point.

You just do not draft right tackle at 1.1, no matter how big the media's boner is for the guy.

Tribal Warfare
The biggest hole on our team right now, is at RT. Couple need with BPA and voila, there is your likely 4th round draft pick.

Come to terms.

FYP

BossChief
We don't know that. They could think that Allen or Stephenson can fill that spot at RT.

Or could sign Gosder Cherilus Tuesday...

KC Tattoo
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Hope his knee holds up.

Glenn Dorsey has been a big disapointment so far to me. I don't have any more expectations that he is going be any good. Hope we have a rotational guy this year and have someone ready for when he goes down with injury.

Bowser

My money is on Stephenson right now, with a swing tackle guy taken in the mid rounds.

Pestilence
Or could sign Gosder Cherilus Tuesday...

That as well.

booger
03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
what about the rumor of them targeting a G in FA? If Reid goes bigger for OL I could see it being Louis Vasquez rather than Andy Levitre

ChiefMojo
I like this news. Sure Dorsey has never lived up to his draft spot but then again he has made a career out of playing out of position. I love the fact he likes being a Chiefs. Sure if it was under the old regime, those feelings are definitely lesser. At least we have cohesion on this roster... just now time for everyone to step up.

DaFace

I honestly wonder if money wasn't even the biggest issue. We're keeping guys all over the place who everyone expected to walk, and we really haven't overpaid for anyone at all IMO. That says to me that it's more about convincing players that the coaches know WTF they're doing.

MotherfuckerJones
03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
God this team was gona continue to be dogshit under Pioli

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:49 PM

Or they could think that Joeckel and Albert give them bookends for the next 6 years cheap.

Bowser
03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
I honestly wonder if money wasn't even the biggest issue. We're keeping guys all over the place who everyone expected to walk, and we really haven't overpaid for anyone at all IMO. That says to me that it's more about convincing players that the coaches know WTF they're doing.

Absolutely.

Had Pioli stayed, I'm extremely confident the only holdover player we'd be talking about right now would have been Colquitt, and that would have been only because of the franchise tag Pioli most likely would have thrown on him.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I just think if we stay in that spot, they're dead set on BPA. Which would actually fill a need.

Pestilence
Or they could think that Joeckel and Albert give them bookends for the next 6 years cheap.

Cheap? Joeckel's contract will be fully guaranteed.

The Bad Guy

Come to terms.

Biggest hole on our team is at corner still. Then I would say WR, then I would say RT.

I think they have inhouse options at RT.

The Bad Guy
03-10-2013, 07:51 PM

It's still a cheap deal.

penbook

I like Fisher better.

tredadda
I do have to wonder though about Glenn Dorsey signing with us again though. He was a pass rushing beast as a 4-3 DT in college, but almost a non-factor with us in a 3-4. Why would he resign with us? Does he love the organization? Are we throwing more money at him than he is worth? Or is there no market for him in a 4-3 and he knows it?

BossChief
Loadholt, Vollmer, Cherilus, Smith....free agency is full of RTs.

Also, anyone watch the John Dorsey interview from the 6th? He mentions something about free agency not impacting the draft much and then says they don't need to pick "who everyone thinks they should".

Could it be?

The Bad Guy
I think it's a valid question that if Dorsey and Reid were here, would Peyton Manning have considered us more. Based on what I've heard, yes, absolutely yes.

Pioli was the top reason Peyton wanted nothing to do with this place.

Direckshun
Biggest hole on our team is at corner still. Then I would say WR, then I would say RT.

But that's clearly not how they see it.

God damn.

So depressing.

penbook
03-10-2013, 07:52 PM
TBG. What are you hearing about the wide reciever position and who they might target at WR

O.city

Well, biggest hole in regards to BPA filling that hole at 1.1.

booger
ILB is a mess with only DJ and Cory Greenwood.

I hope they resign Edgar Jones at OLB. Good special teamer and has some pass rush ability too

Direckshun
I think it's a valid question that if Dorsey and Reid were here, would Peyton Manning have considered us more. Based on what I've heard, yes, absolutely yes.

***** was the top reason Peyton wanted nothing to do with this place.

YOU ARE BREAKING MY GOD DAMN HEART

(dont stop)

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Loadholt, Vollmer, Cherilus, Smith....free agency is full of RTs.

Also, anyone watch the John Dorsey interview from the 6th? He mentions something about free agency not impacting the draft much and then says they don't need to pick "who everyone thinks they should".

Could it be?

Yeah, or you can draft a guy at 1 who could be better than all of them for cheaper.

Don't think we should, but I can see it happening.

Pestilence
03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Yeah, or you can draft a guy at 1 who could be better than all of them for cheaper.

Or he could bust.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Not just that, he will average 5.5-6 per year...that amount would easily get us one of the guys I listed that are proven to be quality right tackles at this level.

Joeckel gets beat inside, struggles with power and hasn't played on the right side where those qualities are more prevalent.

O.city
Or he could bust.

Sure. So could anyone we take there. They could pay 8 million per year to Andre Smith and he could be a POS and not do anything.

DaFace

***** was the top reason Peyton wanted nothing to do with this place.

I don't even want to think about that.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:57 PM
It's all going to depend on Albert, IMO. If they want/ can sign him, I don't see them taking Joeckel or Fisher at 1. If they don't think they can, I bet Joeckel is the pick.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:58 PM
I would rather not sign a free agent CB and just draft MIlliner and sign a FA RT though, I will say that.

O.city
03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Not just that, he will average 5.5-6 per year...that amount would easily get us one of the guys I listed that are proven to be quality right tackles at this level.

Joeckel gets beat inside, struggles with power and hasn't played on the right side where those qualities are more prevalent.

It they are going to take a guy at 1 to play RT, I bet it's Fisher.

Pestilence
I'd rather get a CB and RT in FA.

Direckshun
ALBERT FOR GODS SAKES

JUST SIGN A FUCKING DEAL

DO IT FOR THE FRANCHISE

Pestilence
03-10-2013, 08:00 PM
I still don't see Reid protecting his veteran QB with a rookie RT.

O.city
03-10-2013, 08:00 PM
I'd rather get a CB and RT in FA.

Atleast 1 of them for sure. Especially since we dont' have that 2nd rounder anymore.

Bowser
03-10-2013, 08:01 PM
I still don't see Reid protecting his veteran QB with a rookie RT.

Nope

BossChief
03-10-2013, 08:01 PM

We signed Eric Winston to a contract that was almost identical to what the first overall pick would get.

RunKC
03-10-2013, 08:02 PM

Where did you get this from?

O.city
03-10-2013, 08:02 PM

It's pretty well known.

O.city
03-10-2013, 08:03 PM
We signed Eric Winston to a contract that was almost identical to what the first overall pick would get.

Ok, not sure where you are going with this?

O.city
03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
We have heard they are targeting a G in FA, so maybe a G and a CB?

BossChief
03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I would rather not sign a free agent CB and just draft MIlliner and sign a FA RT though, I will say that.

Fuck no.

Corners need more time to adjust than most positions, even the talented ones.

I'd much rather go out and sign a corner like EJ Biggers from TB and a RT like Cherilus than waste a top overall pick on a guy like Joeckel or Fisher.

Direckshun
03-10-2013, 08:06 PM
We're probably done at CB.

I'm guessing we're pretty much done in FA, save a move at RB.

O.city
03-10-2013, 08:07 PM
**** no.

Corners need more time to adjust than most positions, even the talented ones.

I'd much rather go out and sign a corner like EJ Biggers from TB and a RT like Cherilus than waste a top overall pick on a guy like Joeckel or Fisher.

Corners? I don't see that , but ok.

They aren't going to draft a Qb at 1. Might as well move on from that, so there is obviously someone there they will draft.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 08:07 PM

My eyes and ears.

He was saved in a lot of those situations by the fact that Manziel was so mobile.

If that happens with Alex Smith back there, Von Miller might have 4 sacks in a game.

DaFace
03-10-2013, 08:08 PM

Which is a bit bizarre considering FA technically hasn't started yet.

O.city
03-10-2013, 08:08 PM

Robinson was brought in to be the FS. I don't think they're done at CB.

Direckshun
03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Robinson was brought in to be the FS. I don't think they're done at CB.

Link?

The Bad Guy

I don't think we are done at CB at all.

I'd be god damn shocked if Robinson is the #2 corner next year.

ChiefsandO'sfan
Link?

Will Dunta Robinson start at CB for Chiefs? His contract suggests no. Here are figures from a source: $4 million
guaranteed in 2012 with low cap number. The 3-year deal worth more than $15 million is backloaded. The numbers suggest he'll be a nickel or a safety since starting corners make at least $6 million a year.
Point is, Chiefs probably still seriously considering one of the top UFA corners

Sean Jensen ‏@seankjensen

Will Dunta Robinson start at CB for Chiefs? His contract suggests no. Here are figures from a source: $4 million http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/e4326a25-bc6a-40d6-9ab9-8f62aa7f7e9d/?source=twitter ….

BossChief
03-10-2013, 08:10 PM

They are a team in win now mode that has another 10-15 million to spend in FA once Cassel is cut.

I doubt very highly that we are done in a BEFORE ITS EVEN STARTED.

RunKC
03-10-2013, 08:11 PM

I agree with this.

I'm just wondering what G we could be going after? Surely Levitre will cost a fortune so he might be out.

penbook
03-10-2013, 08:13 PM

What have you heard about what the Chiefs will do with the #2 WR position.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
We should try to sign the center from Tennessee and move Hudson ack to LG.

Messier
03-10-2013, 08:18 PM
They are a team in win now mode that has another 10-15 million to spend in FA once Cassel is cut.

I doubt very highly that we are done in a BEFORE ITS EVEN STARTED.

This. Plus, even though Dorsey and Reid haven't shown too much favoritism with their old players, there are several they are familiar with at positions of need out there.

The Bad Guy
03-10-2013, 08:21 PM
What have you heard about what the Chiefs will do with the #2 WR position.

Nothing really substantial. I think it's a need, not sure they do.

milkman
03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
All these moves to retain our own players tell us one thing if nothing else about Dorsey and Reid's thought process.

They see a team that is more talented than a 2 win team.

Coogs
03-10-2013, 08:24 PM
From Day One ***** arrived, Dorsey was forced into a scheme he apparently is fucking sick of playing.

Well, Pioli did trade the 34th pick of the draft for an old washed up linebacker from the Patriots, so we pretty well had to tailor the defense around his skills.

You remember that trade don't you? The Patriot's also threw in some lousy backup QB to fuck our offense up too.

B14ckmon
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
All these moves to retain our own players tell us one thing if nothing else about Dorsey and Reid's thought process.

I think everyone on earth knows the Chiefs can make the playoffs now that they got a QB.

DeezNutz
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM

And hellbent on not wasting the last few remaining high-quality years of players like Hali, Charles, and Bowe.

MotherfuckerJones
03-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Maybe they think Baldwin can develop under culley

Superturtle
03-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Maybe they think Baldwin can develop under culley
Bowe and Baldwin with Mcbuster in the slot. Oh well.

MotherfuckerJones
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Theyve been aggressive so Im sure well see some more aggressiveness come tuesday afternoon/night

Fat Elvis
03-10-2013, 08:50 PM

I think everyone saw that; then again, I think everyone saw that these guys were coached by a bunch of nincompoops.

I remember last year that Scooter was really excited in the first preseason game because the units got out on the field fast.

I think Reid and Dorsey may have a novel idea: Run systems and schemes that enhance and accentuates the strengths of the players on the team.

Hoover
03-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Face it, this franchise was a mess under Pioli. Bad schemes, poor player personal dealings, everything sucked.

I think guys like Jackson and Dorsey have talent, but for one reason or another they have not been able to realize it under the previous administration. We could do a lot worse than retaining both plays so long as it doesn't break the bank now and in the future.

Those two big boys have something to play for this year.

MotherfuckerJones
03-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Intersted to see how Dorsey, Poe, Jackson play under this new scheme and under real coaching because clearly we havent had real coaching since 2010

silver5liter
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Intersted to see how Dorsey, Poe, Jackson play under this new scheme and under real coaching because clearly we havent had real coaching since 2010

They have seen real coaching on the D side of things. Sadly its an outdated scheme that we were running.

Fritz88
03-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I hope he will be the DJ of this new regime. Remember how DJ became all pro during the Pioli era, hopefully it's Dorsey's turn.

Speaking of defense, I just read that Romeo Crennel is working as (Senior Defense Advisor) at NE.

MotherfuckerJones
03-10-2013, 09:25 PM
They have seen real coaching on the D side of things. Sadly its an outdated scheme that we were running.

No real coaching would have gotten more than 2 wins.

DaKCMan AP
03-10-2013, 09:26 PM
The jersey lives!

Sorter
03-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Face it, this franchise was a mess under *****. Bad schemes, poor player personal dealings, everything sucked.

I think guys like Jackson and Dorsey have talent, but for one reason or another they have not been able to realize it under the previous administration. We could do a lot worse than retaining both plays so long as it doesn't break the bank now and in the future.

Those two big boys have something to play for this year.

The "schemes" philosophically speaking, aren't bad provided you have the correct personnel. For all of the Romeo hate (myself included, more specifically lack of agressivnes and creativity out of base fronts). I'm speaking more in terms of philosophy rather than playcalls (as Daboll was atrocious at the latter).

Schemes/philosophy are pretty similar with teams. All teams use similar route concepts and blocking schemes. What separates good from bad is playcalling, gameplanning/use of good statistical analysis in developing your gameplan/having competent QC coaches, and your personnel.

There are very rarely people (that last) that just blindly stick to their principles in the NFL and refuse to follow their gameplans and adjust. If it was just that Romeo's scheme was horrific, then he would have never had success. Example, he held a Peyton Manning team in Indy to 19 points with several limitations on his defense and offensively.

splatbass
03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Considering this is a passing league, I kinda wish he played pissed against the pass.

The "this is a passing league" thing is a little overblown. In 2012 the NFL passed 55.8% of the time. This is slightly more a passing league than a running league.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

Deberg_1990
03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Meh.....I'm so thrilled...yeaaaa

BossChief
03-10-2013, 09:32 PM
The jersey lives!

That's what I'm talking about. I have an authentic Bowe and a Dorsey.

NJChiefsFan
03-10-2013, 09:34 PM
The "this is a passing league" thing is a little overblown. In 2012 the NFL passed 55.8% of the time. This is slightly more a passing league than a running league.

It's not just about those stats. Its about the results of those plays and the rules that allow them to be more successful, especially in the playoffs. Not to mention that winning big games means your QB is making a clutch drive in the final 5 minutes, more likely than not. That last part is what I most think about when I think about what this league is about. It's not just about how many times the ball is passed vs. the run.

Sorter
03-10-2013, 09:34 PM

That statistic you provided shows no insight at all. It doesn't account for playoff teams, teams that ran the ball to run the clock, impact plays, gameplans, and more.

O.city
03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I would like to see Dorsey and Poe inside on some 4 man fronts. That could be interesting.

Dave Lane
03-10-2013, 10:06 PM
I've come to terms with Joeckel, even if they want him to be the RT.

I will never come to terms with that. I will hate the pick and the player the entire time he is with the team which I hope will be short and filled with horrific injuries.

Not that I'd be bitter or anything.

The Bad Guy
03-10-2013, 10:07 PM
I will never come to terms with that. I will hate the pick and the player the entire time he is with the team which I hope will be short and filled with horrific injuries.

Dear fucking Jesus.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Let's not go overboard.

unnecessary drama
03-10-2013, 10:11 PM
if it is fucking Joeckel he better be as good as Joe Thomas and it better make our line so fucking good that Alex fucking Smith gets sacked league average rather than 9 times per game like he usually does

Brock
03-10-2013, 10:13 PM

LMAO holy shit

Pitt Gorilla
03-10-2013, 10:15 PM
I would bet that they see Stephenson as the starter.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 10:20 PM
If we take Joeckel at 1, he better be able to handle Von Miller because he will be facing him on that side twice a year.

The guy is a damn good player...it's just a terrible waste of resources to take him that high when we already have Albert.

O.city
03-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Dunno if I'll wish that kind of hate on whoever we draft, but to each his own I guess.

O.city
03-10-2013, 10:22 PM
If we take Joeckel at 1, he better be able to handle Von Miller because he will be facing him on that side twice a year.

The guy is a damn good player...it's just a terrible waste of resources to take him that high when we already have Albert.

Well, maybe I'm just rationalizing this, but after some thought, in todays NFL I'm not sure there is much difference in RT and LT.

-King-
03-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Well, maybe I'm just rationalizing this, but after some thought, in todays NFL I'm not sure there is much difference in RT and LT.

There is a huge difference. 1 player protects the QBs blindside. 1 does not.

O.city
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM

In that aspect yeah, sure.

But it isn't like the old days where the best pass rusher is always on the LT. Now, teams have multiple pass rushers coming form both sides. RT was previously a road grader, now expected to block and with the increase in the TE in the passing game, is typically left on an island a decent amount of the time.

Sorter
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM

True. However, given the importance of having pass rushers from both ends (i.e. Cliff Avril, who plays LE), your right tackle can't be a plodder who just excells at run blocking anymore. Your RT absolutely needs to be adequate in ppro.

I think that is what O City was trying to say.

CoMoChief
03-10-2013, 10:28 PM

ROFL

ok so what if Smith was left handed?

does that "change" the value of RT? Would LT be much more different than RT?

They both protect the QB from the defense. The blind side tackle is more important obviously, but there isn't a difference between the 2 positions. Ones left and the other's right.

-King-
03-10-2013, 10:29 PM
In that aspect yeah, sure.

But it isn't like the old days where the best pass rusher is always on the LT. Now, teams have multiple pass rushers coming form both sides. RT was previously a road grader, now expected to block and with the increase in the TE in the passing game, is typically left on an island a decent amount of the time.

True. However, given the importance of having pass rushers from both ends (i.e. Cliff Avril, who plays LE), your right tackle can't be a plodder who just excells at run blocking anymore. Your RT absolutely needs to be adequate in ppro.

I think that is what O City was trying to say.
Eh. It's been like that for a while. Michael Strahan was a LDE.

-King-
03-10-2013, 10:30 PM
ROFL

ok so what if Smith was left handed?

does that "change" the value of RT? Would LT be much more different than RT?

They both protect the QB from the defense. The blind side tackle is more important obviously, but there isn't a difference between the 2 positions. Ones left and the other's right.
:spock: You're a fucking idiot.

If there's no difference, then why do LTs get paid more than RTs?

unnecessary drama
03-10-2013, 10:34 PM
LMAO

if Smith was left handed...then the more important tackle would be the RT...the reason LT is synonymous with importance and "blindside" is because 59 out of 60 QB's are right handed.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 10:34 PM

That's fine. Then spend some of our nearly 20 million in cap space on one of the many quality right tackles in free agency.

Cherilus
Smith
Loadholt
Vollmer

Just to name a few that are out there.

Sorter
03-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Eh. It's been like that for a while. Michael Strahan was a LDE.

True but personally, it seems like that PPDs are shifting towards having both RTs being able to PB in the last 4 years.

Additionally, more teams are utilizing PRDE/OLBs from both sides as opposed to having one great pass rusher from one side and another who was a great run stuffer/could set the edge/drop into coverage (34 Mike Vrabel says "Hey man, I'm still super valuable in teams that don't use fire zone concepts...well, kinda. Like, I guess if I just rush the passer."

-King-
03-10-2013, 10:36 PM
LMAO

if Smith was left handed...then the more important tackle would be the RT...the reason LT is synonymous with importance and "blindside" is because 59 out of 60 QB's are right handed.

This.

O.city
03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
That's fine. Then spend some of our nearly 20 million in cap space on one of the many quality right tackles in free agency.

Cherilus
Smith
Loadholt
Vollmer

Just to name a few that are out there.

Smith wants 9 mil per no thanks there. Others are ok,

BossChief
03-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Smith wants 9 mil per no thanks there. Others are ok,

It doesn't matter what he wants...I doubt we would sign him anyway.

We could get a quality RT for 5-6 million per year.

splatbass
03-10-2013, 10:43 PM
That statistic you provided shows no insight at all. It doesn't account for playoff teams, teams that ran the ball to run the clock, impact plays, gameplans, and more.

Ok, your turn then. Show some stats that prove it is a passing league.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 10:44 PM

LMAO

Sorter
03-10-2013, 10:46 PM

The burden of proof is on you. I just proved you posted a bland statistic. I'm not going to go crazy rummaging through stats right now (and I hope you don't either. JFC, Daylight Savings is kicking my ass).

I'll try to go through this week and do it but I'm going to be swamped as fuck. If you can provide more in-depth stats that make me look like a jackass, I'll definitely approve and sign off on them.

Pitt Gorilla
03-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Loadholt would be fine if it keeps us from tackle at 1.1.

CoMoChief
03-10-2013, 10:53 PM
:spock: You're a ****ing idiot.

If there's no difference, then why do LTs get paid more than RTs?

because most QB's are right handed.

which begs the point....if Alex Smith was left handed would a RT be paid higher?

My point is the position is the same....whether it's left or right.

-King-
03-10-2013, 10:55 PM
because most QB's are right handed.

which begs the point....if Alex Smith was left handed would a RT be paid higher?

My point is the position is the same....whether it's left or right.

Yes because RT would now be the most important position. If he was left handed, then Andre Smith would make sense.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 11:04 PM
The combined pass attempts of all teams comes to 17,788.
The combined rushing attempts of all teams comes to 13,895.

That's a combined total of 31,683 plays that were ran in the NFL last year.

If my math is right, that means 56.1436% of plays ran in 2012 were passing plays.

All of that came off www.espn.com

BossChief
03-10-2013, 11:06 PM
The burden of proof is on you. I just proved you posted a bland statistic. I'm not going to go crazy rummaging through stats right now (and I hope you don't either. JFC, Daylight Savings is kicking my ass).

I'll try to go through this week and do it but I'm going to be swamped as ****. If you can provide more in-depth stats that make me look like a jackass, I'll definitely approve and sign off on them.

Took all of 5 minutes.

splatbass
03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
LMAO

Still waiting.

splatbass
03-10-2013, 11:12 PM
The combined pass attempts of all teams comes to 17,788.
The combined rushing attempts of all teams comes to 13,895.

That's a combined total of 31,683 plays that were ran in the NFL last year.

If my math is right, that means 56.1436% of plays ran in 2012 were passing plays.

All of that came off www.espn.com

That is almost exactly what I posted. I added the percentage for each team and divided by 32. Still barely over half.

Ebolapox
03-10-2013, 11:19 PM
That is almost exactly what I posted. I added the percentage for each team and divided by 32. Still barely over half.

errrrr.... barely over half would be 50.2%. statistically speaking, when you're talking total plays in the tens of thousands, 6% is NOT insignificant.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Teams passed the ball 3893 times more than they rushed the ball.

That's significant.

Ebolapox
03-10-2013, 11:29 PM
if I really gave a shit, I'd break out the ol' statistics book and do a T-test. as it is, it clearly passes the eyeball test.

BossChief
03-10-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm a bit bored and decided to figure how much things have changed since 2002. Here's what I found.

The total amount of passing attempts that year was 16,206
The total amount of rushing attempts that year was 14,102

That's a total amount of 30,308 plays

That's a 53/47 split

BossChief
03-10-2013, 11:45 PM
So, in 2012 the NFL threw it almost 10% more times than in 2002.

That's pretty big.

Ebolapox
03-10-2013, 11:46 PM
So, in 2012 the NFL threw it almost 10% more times than in 2002.

That's pretty big.

yep... pretty sure that would fall under the guise of statistically significant.

Sorter
03-10-2013, 11:52 PM
yep... pretty sure that would fall under the guise of statistically significant.

Just like, a tiny little bit.

LMAO

mikey23545
03-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Yes. He played in the nickel in 2009 and was terrible at it. His pass rush was terrible as a rookie the year before too.

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/3433/eeyore.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/eeyore.jpg/)

Sorter
03-11-2013, 12:18 AM
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/3433/eeyore.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/eeyore.jpg/)

This is too far back in the thread for me too look. WTF is this about?

Superturtle
03-11-2013, 12:30 AM
This is too far back in the thread for me too look. WTF is this about?
GoChiefs incessant whining.

jimw51
03-11-2013, 12:40 AM
His deal needs to be redone his performence was not what we expected

mikey23545
03-11-2013, 12:41 AM
GoChiefs incessant whining.

Yep.

silver5liter
03-11-2013, 12:50 AM
His deal needs to be redone his performence was not what we expected

Uhh

SNR
03-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Loadholt would be fine if it keeps us from tackle at 1.1.

It's not going to be Loadholt. Dude's fantastic for Adrian Peterson, but fucking terrible for Christian Ponder.

Loadholt signing with a team that will pass the ball as much as the Chiefs is a bad bad idea.

MotherfuckerJones
03-11-2013, 02:37 AM
It's not going to be Loadholt. Dude's fantastic for Adrian Peterson, but ****ing terrible for Christian Ponder.

Loadholt signing with a team that will pass the ball as much as the Chiefs is a bad bad idea.

SNR will you play RT?

-King-
03-11-2013, 06:49 AM
It's not going to be Loadholt. Dude's fantastic for Adrian Peterson, but fucking terrible for Christian Ponder.

He only allowed 4.5 sacks last season.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefMojo
03-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Landholt is a very similar RT to Winston but even bigger. Good run blocker and meh pass blocker. We apparently need a RT that excels in pass blocking more than anything.

As for Dorsey we know what we will get. With that said, changing up the scheme some may be what the doctor ordered for Glenn.

Pestilence
03-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Cherilus or Vollmer

ChiefMojo
03-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Agree on those two RT's... strong pass blockers!

MotherfuckerJones
03-11-2013, 07:50 AM
I've heard vollmer wants paid like a LT though

penbook
03-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Just heard we are also working out Eric Fisher. He has a private workout same with Joeckel scheduled with us.

Canofbier
03-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Just heard we are also working out Eric Fisher. He has a private workout same with Joeckel scheduled with us.

As much as I dislike the idea of taking either of those players, it would be downright stupid for the team not to work them out. They're among the best players in the draft and they've got to have as much information as they can on the top guys.

penbook
03-11-2013, 08:55 AM
As much as I dislike the idea of taking either of those players, it would be downright stupid for the team not to work them out. They're among the best players in the draft and they've got to have as much information as they can on the top guys.

Im sure they will work out Geno too.