PDA

View Full Version : Football San Diego Chargers, Eric Winston Meet

thabear04
03-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Shortly after being released by the Kansas City Chiefs, offensive tackle Eric Winston traveled across the division for a meeting with the San Diego Chargers.

The meeting between the Chargers and Winston went down over the weekend, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The veteran would be able to step right into the starting lineup of a rebuilding offensive line in San Diego that needs to find a way to keep Philip Rivers upright.

San Diego adding Winston would be the second straight offensive tackle taken from the Chiefs. At the end of the 2011 season, the Chargers claimed Jared Gaither off waivers and quickly put him to work.

Gaither ended up signing a four-year, $24.6 million deal in San Diego, but ended up playing in just four games last season. His injury issues — not to mention trouble with the front office and teammates — could send him back onto the market.

If the Chargers and up holding onto Gaither and adding Winston, Chiefs fans will have plenty of motivation to deliver some extra boos during the season

Maybe he can turn out like Gaither and be hurt all season.

gblowfish
03-12-2013, 09:33 AM
He'll play anywhere that has a beach....toodles!

alpha_omega
03-12-2013, 09:35 AM
pfft...he'll really be disgusted with them.

tooge
03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Houston will rape him

AdumbGuy
03-12-2013, 09:38 AM
yoda?

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-12-2013, 09:40 AM
So awesome we let a top 5 RT go to a division rival so we can piss away the number one overall pick on one.

Molitoth
03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
So awesome we let a top 5 RT go to a division rival so we can piss away the number one overall pick on one.

Yup.

Hog Farmer
03-12-2013, 10:13 AM

There had to be good reason. Has anybody heard actually why we cut him. 2 teams in 2 years. Somethings up.

Exoter175
03-12-2013, 10:30 AM
We love letting our tackles go so the chargers can pick them up apparently.

gblowfish
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Chargers like Chiefs ex tackles like we like SF Ex QBs....

rabblerouser
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
We love letting our tackles go so the chargers can pick them up apparently.

Well, if Winston this year plays anything like Gaither did last year...

then good.

royr17
03-12-2013, 10:36 AM

A top 5 RT that cant pass block worth a shit but is a great Run Blocker, I'd rather have a tackle that can do both really good.

Exoter175
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM

then good.

The chargers don't exactly have a solid run game right now, not like they used to, so I'm not really concerned with Eric Winston playing well over there. We let him go for reasons other than his talent, obviously. So either way, its a solid move for us, and another division rival is going to get our scraps because their entire organization has been in disarray since they let Marty go.

notorious

then good.

Thinking the same thing.

There is a reason Houston let him go. Now he gets cut by a horrible Chiefs team.

We are about to become a pass-first team and Winston is evidently below average in that department.

-King-
A top 5 RT that cant pass block worth a shit but is a great Run Blocker, I'd rather have a tackle that can do both really good.

He was a top 12 or even top 10 pass blocker.

-King-
03-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Thinking the same thing.

There is a reason Houston let him go. Now he gets cut by a horrible Chiefs team.

He must be horrible.

...Houston wants him back. He was a cap cut.

notorious
03-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Ahhhhh.

I really don't know Winston very well, so I will STFU now.

royr17
03-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Mhmm sure he was, didnt seem like it to me, and the way he dogged the fanbase, I dont want him anywhere near this team. Same is to be said bout any other players that talk bout the fanbase like that.

-King-
03-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Mhmm sure he was, didnt seem like it to me, and the way he dogged the fanbase, I dont want him anywhere near this team. Same is to be said bout any other players that talk bout the fanbase like that.

LMAO

rabblerouser
03-12-2013, 10:42 AM

you telling me that out of 32 teams in the league, that Eric Winston is better than 22 of the starting RTs in the NFL??

-King-
03-12-2013, 10:42 AM
you telling me that out of 32 teams in the league, that Eric Winston is better than 22 of the starting RTs in the NFL??

Yes. And the year before, he was better than atleast 27 of the starting RTs in the league.

rabblerouser
03-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Yes. And the year before, he was better than atleast 27 of the starting RTs in the league.

Hmmm...

I sure remember him getting beat at the point of attack this past year.

A LOT.

Especially on the plays where the QBs kept getting concussed.

Glad they sent his top-10 ass packing.

Ace Gunner
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
so if winston signs with SD does that officially make SD "KC Chiefs West" :D

CoMoChief
03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
he was an avg pass blocker at best last season.....he was pretty stout in the run game.

he never has been a "great" pass blocker though...as some here seem to think. Either way I think it was stupid to get rid of him.

Sorter
03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
The Chiefsification of SD continues.

BossChief
03-12-2013, 11:42 AM

He failed his physical.

King_Chief_Fan
03-12-2013, 11:44 AM
he was an avg pass blocker at best last season.....he was pretty stout in the run game.

he never has been a "great" pass blocker though...as some here seem to think. Either way I think it was stupid to get rid of him.

wasn't that hit that put Cassel out for a bit (the one where fans cheered) due to Winston's less than desired blocking

-King-
03-12-2013, 11:44 AM
He failed his physical.

There is an asterisk attached to the surprising release of long-time Houston Texans right tackle Eric Winston.

A source told FOXSports.com that Winston was cut under the “failed physical” designation by the Texans. Winston, though, told FOXSports.com that the billing stems from his having undergone arthroscopic ankle surgery in February.

In a text message, Winston said he will be medically cleared in two weeks. Winston also said he would be fully healed by now had he undergone the minor procedure in January.

At that time, Winston had no idea he wouldn’t be playing for the Texans in 2012. He had started every game for the past five seasons and was considered one of the league’s better right tackles. But with a $5.5 million base salary for 2012 and the Texans having salary-cap issues, Winston became expendable.

Winston was en route to South Florida on Tuesday night for a visit with the Miami Dolphins. Winston played at the University of Miami and his brother Matt is a Dolphins college scout.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Eric-Winston-Houston-Texans-waived-for-failed-physical-031312

Gadzooks
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
The Chiefsification of SD continues.

Please don't say things like that. I gives me the willies.
That would make 2 former Chiefs, (if Gaither isn't cut). I have a feeling Battle won't be back.

Rausch
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
wasn't that hit that put Cassel out for a bit (the one where fans cheered) due to Winston's less than desired blocking

Yes...

Rausch
03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
That would make 2 former Chiefs, (if Gaither isn't cut). I have a feeling Battle won't be back.

Might as well keep Battle. Matthews wasn't that impressive...

Chiefnj2
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Yes...

Sure it wasn't pressure up the middle?

Gadzooks
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Might as well keep Battle. Matthews wasn't that impressive...

Mathews can't stop breaking his Clavicles. The Chargers can probably pick up an RB better than Battle in the 3rd or 4th round.

Rausch
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Mathews can't stop breaking his Clavicles. The Chargers can probably pick up an RB better than Battle in the 3rd or 4th round.

Probably. Battle is a cheap physical runner that provide a decent change up...

rabblerouser
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Probably. Battle is a cheap physical runner that provide a decent change up...

the epitome of 'an average NFL RB'.

How many years does the average RB last in the NFL??

And how many years has J. Battle played??

by my calculations, it's 14:57 on his 15 min...

Sorter
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Only now with McCoy, you'll have the Donksification as well.