PDA

View Full Version : Life How far would you be willing to drive to work?

El Jefe
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
If you found a house you loved? I have been debating this question as my wife and I will look at house shopping soon. I want to get some land with some outbuildings if possible. Looks like I am looking at driving an hour one way, with currently what is available. I may build, but if you have priced a concrete foundation barn, it is ridiculously expensive.

So, my question is how far would you be willing to drive (one way) if you found a house/property you loved.

DJ's left nut
03-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Nobody without a commute can seriously answer this question.

Everyone that says they don't really mind a long commute and the moves to a place closer to the office loves it.

Just don't be more eager to do it than you have to. I don't expect it will be more than a year or so that you'll realize that you're tired of putting in 10 hours for every 8 you get paid for or that you're !@#$ed if you get to the office and realize you've forgotten something, or even if you just want to make a quick run in to tidy some work up on a weekend.

I wouldn't ever live more than 1/2 an hour from where I work.

Inmem58
03-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Far enough to get away from 1 Arrowhead Drive

Pestilence
03-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Right now.....I drive 30 minutes each way for work. Even 30 minutes can be a little much sometimes because like DJ pointed out.......I can't make it home and back on my lunch hour. If I need to run home for something....I have to use vacation time at work.

DTLB58
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
I suppose it depends also on if they commute is in traffic or just easy Interstate driving.

If I really, really liked my job that might make a difference too.

I can currently get to work in about 12 minutes in the morning when there is no traffic, home in the afternoon in about 20. So I probably can't comment/complain to much.

I would never live in a city where I just sit in traffic going to and from work. Stupid.

mr. tegu
03-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Not an hour. Say you have to drive about 50 miles and get 25 mpg. That is $16 a day on gas. Drive to work 5 times a week and that will cost you $80 a week. Say you work about 48 full weeks and you are paying about $3,840 a year on gas just to get to and from work. Plus the time factor that was mentioned above. I don't know how people do that.

Dayze
03-12-2013, 03:49 PM
once had a 42 mile commute each way; took about 50 minutes each way. never again if I can help it.

and that was when gas went to $2.25 and it killed me on fuel even with a good MPG car.

X 2; My wife had a 38 mile commute each way.

bled to death on fuel costs.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
However far I can drive in 20 minutes. Suppose if I was making good enough money I might consider 30.

CoMoChief
03-12-2013, 03:52 PM
30-45min tops for REALLY good money

theelusiveeightrop
03-12-2013, 03:58 PM
My commute is 38 minutes, rural interstate. Not bad.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
My commute is about 35 minutes one way, and that's about as far as I'll go. I've done the hour-long commute before, and I won't do it again unless I have to.

mlyonsd
03-12-2013, 04:30 PM
My commute is 38 minutes, rural interstate. Not bad.

Mine about the same. Since it's rural traffic isn't an issue. If I had to drive 40 minutes in bumper to bumper I might go crazy.

WayneBowe
03-12-2013, 04:35 PM
I used to drive an hour and a half to work everyday. I made $53K that year. Figured out after gas I made $10k less. So $43k total. After working a 10 hour day and spending 3 hours in the car, it wasnt worth it. 30-45 minutes is the max unless making close to six figures or over. Unless you drive a Prius like a bitch.

DeezNutz
03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Hour? No chance.

Sounds like the surest way to turn your dream house into a fucking nightmare.

Sorter
03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
It would depend on the job rather than the housing.

DaFace
03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
My commute's about 45 minutes, and I can't imagine going any longer than that.

Pablo
03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
I do 35 now. And that's almost too much. I'd love to be at 15-20 tops.

oldman
03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
My last job was 38 miles each way. It wasn't too bad, but I was leaving the house at 5:15 AM and leaving work most days around 3:30 PM. Took about 45 min. in the morning and 50 in the afternoon. It was a booger when it snowed, though.

Ace Gunner
03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
grew up in NYC. got paid, bought a nice spread 45 miles out of the city. took 2 + hours each way except during summer months when I rode roadrace cycles -- that cut the drive by 1.25 hours :D Did that 8 years. Loved it. Of course, gas was under a buck back then.

Buck
03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Probably 20 miles. Depends on how well I get paid though.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
I drove the hour one way for awhile and liked the drive time to unwind.

"Bob" Dobbs
03-12-2013, 05:39 PM
15 years ago I had an 84 mile each way commute. You really do get used to it, but I could only stand it for a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
03-12-2013, 06:13 PM
I used to drive 30-45 minutes each way when I lived in kc.

Now it's two. Six ifI have to stop and drop off the little one.

Fuck driving any distance to work
Posted via Mobile Device

underEJ
03-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Twelve minutes. That is my limit in any city. I'm not confessing to being a road rager, but let's just say I understand them. If I could take light rail, I would go much farther, though, because I could read or get work done. Currently have a station near the house, but not work. I do take it to all events I go to downtown, or other well railed areas. It is so much better than driving and parking.

hometeam
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
I drive 20 miles or so.

It sucks ass, and I am currently in the market to buy a house closer to town so I don't have to do this shit anymore~

Pablo
03-12-2013, 07:14 PM
I spend about 70 minutes on the road every day. That breaks down to about six hours a week. If I could cut that down to half of that I could spend three more hours a week on CP.

Think about how important that time is.

Hydrae
03-12-2013, 07:15 PM
27 miles each way, one hour give or take. I changed my shift a little to reduce the time but it is still not fun most of the time.

Having a stick in stop and go traffic sucks too!

houstonwhodat
03-12-2013, 07:27 PM
It's not the mileage it's the traffic flow.

In Houston the traffic is horrible.

25 miles one way is nothing here and that is a good hour to work.

I used to drive 50.

BigRedChief
03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
I drove from Lee's Summit to the airport for a year and a half for a $25K raise.

I got a new job and bought a new house. This drive is not about a big raise, I'll drive 45 minutes to get back to this...
http://photos3.zillow.com/p_f/IS-18d7tgocunsd9.jpg

lazepoo
03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
I would agree with the half hour limit. Any longer than that, something like an accident on the highway can snarl traffic and make you late regardless of when you leave, and bad weather can double transit time in the winter. I did 45-50 mins one way for a year and hated life. Don't do it. Find a different house or a different job.
Posted via Mobile Device

AndChiefs
03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
It's not the mileage it's the traffic flow.

In Houston the traffic is horrible.

25 miles one way is nothing here and that is a good hour to work.

I used to drive 50.

I also live in Houston. Live about 35 miles from downtown where the office is. Talking over an hour back and forth...sometimes you run towards an hour and a half or 2 hours.

Awful.

HonestChieffan
03-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Do you have a functioning mirror on the passenger side? Bad mirrors would make me want to be closer.

tmax63
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
I've driven 47 miles each way (an hour) for the last 8-9 years. I like the time to prep/unwind. Weather is a bitch though as I stayed in a hotel 12 miles from home 10 days ago because I couldn't make it home. my 3 vehicles have a combined mileage of about 700K. I wouldn't want to live any further out but I lived in the city for 15 years and hated it worse.

lewdog
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
I drive 30 minutes each way and the girlfriend drives an hour each way! We live in Phoenix Metro and moved here for my job which originally was a 15 minute commute. She took the first job she could get accepted for, to get more money rolling in but I feel horrible that she has that commute each day. I then switched jobs for an increase in pay and added 15 minutes each way on to my commute. When our renting lease is up (june) we plan on relocating to an area that would make each of our commute 30 mins each way. Not much around driving that much as we work in opposite parts of the city. At least here you don't have to worry about weather messing up your commute times.

NewChief
03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I used to drive about 50 minutes each way, commuting from Ft. Collins, CO up to Cheyenne, WY. Luckily, I had a carpool of 4-5 people who worked at the same place. Those rides were sometimes a little hairy in the winter, though.

yeti
03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I've driven 47 miles each way (an hour) for the last 8-9 years. I like the time to prep/unwind. Weather is a bitch though as I stayed in a hotel 12 miles from home 10 days ago because I couldn't make it home. my 3 vehicles have a combined mileage of about 700K. I wouldn't want to live any further out but I lived in the city for 15 years and hated it worse.

You heading into denver for that? from the North or South? I'm considering a 58 mile one way but all easy rural driving. Only thing is the snow.

Cannibal
03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I haven't had more than a 15-20 min. to work in years and wouldn't want to exceed that.

Cannibal
03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I used to drive about 50 minutes each way, commuting from Ft. Collins, CO up to Cheyenne, WY. Luckily, I had a carpool of 4-5 people who worked at the same place. Those rides were sometimes a little hairy in the winter, though.

50 min carpool each way with 4-5 people? That sounds miserable and depressing.

Fruit Ninja
03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Not an hour. Say you have to drive about 50 miles and get 25 mpg. That is $16 a day on gas. Drive to work 5 times a week and that will cost you $80 a week. Say you work about 48 full weeks and you are paying about $3,840 a year on gas just to get to and from work. Plus the time factor that was mentioned above. I don't know how people do that.

My sister works for hospice n she drives all over. A lot of driving from little town to little town. But they pay for her gas lol

NewChief
03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
50 min carpool each way with 4-5 people? That sounds miserable and depressing.

We had a pretty good time. Four of us were young and either single or recently married. One of the ladies was a cool older hippie chick. We talked sometimes, slept others, and often did books on tape. We were pretty much the entire creative team for the company, so we were all kind of similar and got along.

Most of us hung out on the weekends some as well, whether at the bars or climbing, fishing, or snowboarding.

jjchieffan
03-12-2013, 08:10 PM
I found the place I love and make the thirty minutes drive from there to work every day. It's worth it. But any more would be too much

Molitoth
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
I did St. Joseph to Overland Park for 6 months and it wore on me quick.
Now I live 1 mile from work and I absolutely love it.
I save on gas and lunch money.

If you factor out sleeping... you spend more time at work and in your car than enjoying your actual home.

TribalElder
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Drove 1.5 hours each way for 5 years

200,000 + miles and weeks of my life

Recently went from 3 hours a day down to 1. I have already regained 7.5 full days of my life that I would have spent driving.

The time is what finally got me. I save 10 hours a week. 86 miles down to 14

Yeah buddy!

Craqhead
03-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Gladstone(home) to Lenexa(work)

From work could be anywhere in the state of Kansas and the western third of Missouri.
Driving too Goodland,Ks or Liberial, Ks is PITA

KcMizzou
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
An hour drive isn't so bad if it's not in heavy traffic. It's better in the morning... actually kind of gives you a chance to relax, drink some coffee, listen to the radio, prepare for the day. Heading home is a different story.

tmax63
03-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Yeti- I work at USAFA in the Co. Springs. I live about 90 miles from denver and 50 from the Springs. I have a couple of guys in the area that do work in Denver though. It's a solid 1.5 hour run to the SE side of Denver from here for them. I've only had to hotel it a few times though, good bosses who believe me when I say I gotta go now. If I had a job that a mandatory - no excuses - be there or be fired deal I would of been fired long ago.

Fairplay
03-12-2013, 08:58 PM
A couple weeks ago I had a job offer, but driving an hour to work doesn't appeal to me when I only drive fifteen minutes now.

It's a few more schillings, but by the time I pay for gas every week I lost most of it.
My previous job it was so close I use to walk there in under 10 minutes that was sweet.

KevB
03-12-2013, 09:02 PM
An hour drive isn't so bad if it's not in heavy traffic. It's better in the morning... actually kind of gives you a chance to relax, drink some coffee, listen to the radio, prepare for the day. Heading home is a different story.

I feel the same way. I do 30 minutes to and from. I'm ok with it in the morning (unless I have an early meeting), but in the afternoon I just want to get home.

Cannibal
03-12-2013, 09:08 PM
We had a pretty good time. Four of us were young and either single or recently married. One of the ladies was a cool older hippie chick. We talked sometimes, slept others, and often did books on tape. We were pretty much the entire creative team for the company, so we were all kind of similar and got along.

Most of us hung out on the weekends some as well, whether at the bars or climbing, fishing, or snowboarding.

Doesn't sound too bad. Although, I'm a bit grouchy in the morning :) Sounds like you're the type of person who can handle that sort of thing. The small talk in the morning would kill me.

Buehler445
03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Wife drives 44 miles each way. Makes it in about 40 minutes. She's looking to get a job in town.

Mine is 6 miles, and goes anywhere from 7-12 minutes depending how zombie-ish I am. Sometimes I get on a county road and mostly sleep on the way out. It can be up to 30 minutes if I'm going to a field in BFE.

Miles
03-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Commuting sucks. I used to have about around a 30-40 minute drive in the previous city I lived in. Many days its is not that bad but any minor wreck or bad weather can easily double the typical drive time. I moved cities and now live about a mile from the office and it is really great to have that time back and never deal with traffic.

MOhillbilly
03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't. It's great.

Demonpenz
03-12-2013, 10:17 PM
I hated it. I thank God that I don't do that now. Like I say out loud. I am so glad my drive isn't that anymore.

Phobia
03-12-2013, 11:25 PM
I used to make a lot of money commuting like that. It's not worth money. I wouldn't spend 2 hours a day driving to and from work for any amount.

BWillie
03-13-2013, 02:00 AM
grew up in NYC. got paid, bought a nice spread 45 miles out of the city. took 2 + hours each way except during summer months when I rode roadrace cycles -- that cut the drive by 1.25 hours :D Did that 8 years. Loved it. Of course, gas was under a buck back then.

Why would you love wasting 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week going to f*cking work?

RubberSponge
03-13-2013, 02:32 AM
10 mins to get to work. 6 if I get a green at every stoplight. That's a long enough commute for me.

Time is money.

RubberSponge
03-13-2013, 02:33 AM
Why would you love wasting 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week going to ****ing work?

Because don't have a damn thing to do otherwise.

Predarat
03-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Right now its 35-45 minutes, depending on when I leave and such. Around an hour if there are issues or I leave later then normal. Its usually not a bad or stressful drive. The most I would do is 45min to an hour. Wish I lived closer, but the kind of jobs I prefer are farther away from where I live, the houses close to where those jobs are are much more expensive then where I live now. If I can get a decent promotion my ass is moving closer to work.

KILLER_CLOWN
03-13-2013, 07:32 AM
I hate long drives to work, I live 5 minutes from it. ;)

NewChief
03-13-2013, 07:49 AM
I'll say this about my old hour long commute:

We went the opposite way as most traffic, heading north from Ft. Collins on I25. If I'd had to go south toward Denver, I couldn't have done it. Those that have ever driven I25 when people are heading in to Denver know what I'm talking about.

If I'm in start/stop or gridlock, I slowly go insane. Driving along at a steady pace is relaxing. Bumper to bumper traffic creates stress.

Braincase
03-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I live in SW Lawrence, work at 87th & Stateline.

Audiobooks are my friend.

mr. tegu
03-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Sometimes I have to feed the toilet really bad at the end of the work day and it is always better to go home to do that. I would hate having to either hold it an hour or go in the public bathroom which just means staying at work longer.

lcarus
03-13-2013, 09:18 AM
30-45min tops for REALLY good money

Yeah this. It really comes down to whether or not my income allows me to afford the gas comfortably.

It's one of those things where I think "Yeah that'd be fun. Crank some tunes and drive for 30 minutes each way." But after a while it would get old fast I think.

loochy
03-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Not far. I can pay gas - that's no big deal. However, I can't buy my time back and time spent commuting is absolutely worthless time.

Frazod
03-13-2013, 09:26 AM
I live 35 miles from my office in downtown Chicago. I take the train - I live a mile from the train station. 40 minute train ride, then a 5 minute bus ride or 20 minute walk to the office. If I drove, it would be anywhere from 1 to 2 hours (or worse) each way depending on traffic and weather conditions. Fuck that.

Earthling
03-13-2013, 10:34 AM
I had a job that was 75 miles from my driveway to the job-site. I ended up getting a cheap room that was only about 5 miles from work and then coming home for the weekends. I really didn't mind that because the hours were so long at the job that all I did at home was sleep and get up, eat, and head out to work again. I was glad when that job ended after a couple of years but I sure missed the great pay I was getting there.

frankotank
03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
I wanted to get my kids out of big city schools before they hit high school. we found the perfect house and perfect location. I drive, on a good day with no problems, 45 minutes one way. before the move my drive was 25 minutes one way.

it's been worth it.

Earthling
03-13-2013, 10:55 AM
I wanted to get my kids out of big city schools before they hit high school. we found the perfect house and perfect location. I drive, on a good day with no problems, 45 minutes one way. before the move my drive was 25 minutes one way.

it's been worth it.

My wife and I were concerned with the high school here and ended up homeschooling for those years. It worked out great but we were in a position to do that; not everyone is that fortunate.

Dayze
03-13-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm at 18 round trip now; work is right off of the highway; and my house is literally about 50 ' from a highway on-ramp lol. I'm usually at work in 15 minutes if that. Thank god.

FishingRod
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
30 miles each way 35-45 minutes now. Mostly highway not much traffic. I used to work 20 miles from work but in the thick of the traffic and I hated every second of it. My goal is to set it up so I can work from Home so it doesn’t matter where home is and I can live at the lake or out in the sticks. I could probably stand a commute of an hour maybe 1:15 if it was a great place away from everyone.