PDA

View Full Version : General Politics I Oppose the Death Penalty in Principle and Here's Why

Amnorix
04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
An exchange in the thread regarding the penalty for the surviving marathon bomber prompted me to inquire as to the reasons the ChiefsPlanet anti-death penalty community hold that position. Please note that this will be a public poll, and since you can have multiple reasons for the position, you may vote for as many as you like.

Prison Bitch
04-23-2013, 03:05 PM
You can vote different ways? So I can "be for it, before I was against it"?

FD
04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm for it in principle, but I don't trust our government and all the government workers in the process to entrust them with the power to take a man's life. So I oppose the death penalty for that reason, competence essentially.

Amnorix
04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
You can vote different ways? So I can "be for it, before I was against it"?

You can vote different ways since there could be multiple reasons for holding that position.

mr. tegu
04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm for it in principle, but I don't trust our government and all the government workers in the process to entrust them with the power to take a man's life. So I oppose the death penalty for that reason.

That should be the answer for everyone who says the government is trying to take over and institute a police state. But is it? :hmmm:

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm for it in principle, but I don't trust our government and all the government workers in the process to entrust them with the power to take a man's life. So I oppose the death penalty for that reason, compeyence essentially.

This is where I sit. That said, I'm perfectly content with it being used in obvious slam dunk cases, such as the one in Boston, or students who plagiarize papers.

BucEyedPea
04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
That should be the answer for everyone who says the government is trying to take over and institute a police state. But is it? :hmmm:

Quit being a tard.

mr. tegu
04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Did you say something?

KChiefer
04-23-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm ultimately for it, but have reservations due to #2 and #4.

mnchiefsguy
04-23-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm for it in principle, but I don't trust our government and all the government workers in the process to entrust them with the power to take a man's life. So I oppose the death penalty for that reason, compeyence essentially.

I find myself agreeing with this. As a high schooler, I always debated against it, and then have become more for it as I have gotten older and more conservative. But then you read about states like Illinois that have executed people that may have been innocent, and that makes my stomach turn. Death is an absolute punishment, so I think those imposing that sentence need to be as absolutely sure about it when the sentence is imposed, and it should not be imposed lightly.

Brainiac
04-23-2013, 04:23 PM
The problem with the death penalty is that it has been applied unfairly far too often. If it is truly impossible to institute sufficient controls to "fix" that problem, then I would probably oppose it.

However, as Hamas put it, there are certain "slam dunk" cases for which the appropriate punishment is death. The threat of the death penalty is also a very effective tool that a prosecutor can use to get a guilty plea from a defendant and spare the family of the victim(s) from having to endure a long and protracted trial.

If supporting the death penalty makes me a bloodthirsty vengeance-seeking cretin, so be it.

theelusiveeightrop
04-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Other. For it. Quicker the better.

King_Chief_Fan
04-23-2013, 04:46 PM
An exchange in the thread regarding the penalty for the surviving marathon bomber prompted me to inquire as to the reasons the ChiefsPlanet anti-death penalty community hold that position. Please note that this will be a public poll, and since you can have multiple reasons for the position, you may vote for as many as you like.

I support death penalty

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm for it in principle, but I don't trust our government and all the government workers in the process to entrust them with the power to take a man's life. So I oppose the death penalty for that reason, competence essentially.

That's why it takes so long to execute someone. There are appeals and many of people in the process. Execution is not performed quickly or without rigor. I think its done correctly.

patteeu
04-23-2013, 05:43 PM
I support death penalty

Same. I voted "other" because I don't oppose it.

Sorter
04-23-2013, 08:35 PM
The second option is not valid, IMO due to use of the phrase "always a chance".

AussieChiefsFan
04-23-2013, 09:13 PM
If the person convicted is ALWAYS the person that actually committed the crime, then I'd be for it. But it simply isn't that easy.

ForeverChiefs58
04-23-2013, 09:30 PM
When I look around, I feel they should really do more executions...especially as I sit in traffic.

PunkinDrublic
04-24-2013, 06:04 AM
I honestly think spending the rest of ones life in a place like supermax in Colorado is a punishment worse than death.

DaveNull
04-24-2013, 06:37 AM
It's easy to support the death penalty where you have clear cut cases, or high profile cases with a well funded defense. Sadly, many death penalty cases involve overworked or outclassed defense counsel. Depending on the state, you might have a court appointed tax attorney handling your defense in a criminal death penalty case.

While I think that there is a case to be made for the specific and general deterrent effect of the death penalty, it's application is unfair in the cases you never hear about.

Amnorix
04-24-2013, 07:10 AM
I support death penalty

Same. I voted "other" because I don't oppose it.

Right. I didn't vote at all because this poll is only intended to find out the main reasons why those who oppose it hold that position.

siberian khatru
04-24-2013, 07:16 AM

This

FishingRod
04-24-2013, 07:35 AM
I am against in for reasons 2,3 and 4 and a few others. Now having said that, I find that on those rare high profile cases that when I hear about it, I don’t seem to get upset. If the remaining marathon killer gets put down, no tears will be shed. For the average Joe a fair trial is iffy and the verdict is certainly less than 100% accurate. Once the guy is dead there is no reversing that decision.

Honestly I find the fact that the government can snatch up a citizen “suspected” of something and stick them in Guantanamo or a place like it for years perhaps the rest of their lives with no due process far more disturbing than a person being executed after and conviction by a jury of their peers.

InChiefsHell
04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
I struggle with it. To me, the death penalty is really vengeance, more than anything else. you could put a killer in a hole for the rest of his life and virtually accomplish the same thing. I realize there are problems, like potential danger to prison staff, or the chance that he\she could get out some day in the future. But realistically, those are problems that can be overcome.

Execution is really a way to "satisfy" the victims and the public. Eye for an eye and all that. As long as you are OK with vengeance which is what the death penalty really is, then fine.

By the way, I'm also a fence rider on vengeance. My mind says no, my heart says yes. It's something that I struggle with.

patteeu
04-24-2013, 08:28 AM
I struggle with it. To me, the death penalty is really vengeance, more than anything else. you could put a killer in a hole for the rest of his life and virtually accomplish the same thing. I realize there are problems, like potential danger to prison staff, or the chance that he\she could get out some day in the future. But realistically, those are problems that can be overcome.

Execution is really a way to "satisfy" the victims and the public. Eye for an eye and all that. As long as you are OK with vengeance which is what the death penalty really is, then fine.

By the way, I'm also a fence rider on vengeance. My mind says no, my heart says yes. It's something that I struggle with.

To me it's not about vengeance at all (although that might change if I was close to the victim). It's about those problems you say we can overcome. I don't think we can overcome them. It's also about deterrence.

Dave Lane
04-24-2013, 08:31 AM
I support death penalty

Of course you do. You're a christian. Death for almost anything is what the bible truly values.

WilliamTheIrish
04-24-2013, 09:12 AM
...it is better and more satisfactory to acquit a thousand guilty persons than to put a single innocent one to death." Spoken by Maimonides, a 12th century legal theorist.

I've waffled back and forth on this issue through my life. Something about putting an innocent man to death is frightening to me.

However, we live in a free society. Inherently, in this society there are risks. I'm not a gun control person, but I do risk that I could be killed by a criminal holding an ill gotten firearm. It's not a huge risk, but it's there.

I suppose being accused, convicted and sentenced to death for a crime I didn't commit is also an inherent risk. It's not a huge risk, but it's there.

So I wonder: What's the difference? It's possible both things could happen. And both consequences are dangers of living in our society. So why should I care if it might happen to somebody else?

Of course I do care. I'd rather society imprisoned the criminals for life rather than killed them. But some people are just so cold blooded in their disregard of others lives, I want them killed immediately.

alnorth
04-24-2013, 09:36 AM

This is pretty much me. I supported the death penalty for most of my life, and still do in principle, but I can no longer trust the government.

The reason why is because we pretty much know for sure that an innocent man was executed in Texas recently, even though there was compelling evidence pointing to his innocence. (Cameron Todd Willingham)

One strike, and your out for me.

KC native
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
This I'm for it in principle, but I don't trust our government and all the government workers in the process to entrust them with the power to take a man's life. So I oppose the death penalty for that reason, competence essentially.

And also this

I honestly think spending the rest of ones life in a place like supermax in Colorado is a punishment worse than death.

And it's cheaper to just throw them in a box.

Donger
04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
I wonder how many people who oppose the death penalty also support abortion?

KC native
04-24-2013, 10:13 AM

That's not really a question. Why did you place a question mark at the end?

Donger
04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
That's not really a question. Why did you place a question mark at the end?

Because it is a question.

Rain Man
04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't mind the death penalty in theory, but I currently oppose it because it's become clear that the justice system doesn't always get it right, and in fact it's appearing that they often get it wrong. That's kind of scary on many accounts.

If a person confesses to a crime or if there's overwhelming evidence that is incontrovertible, the death penalty is fine. But if not, I think we shouldn't do it based on what we now know about the fallibility of jury trials.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Just wondering, is Gaz against it?

KC native
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Because it is a question.

No, it was a statement about your curiousities. If it was a question then it should have read something like "How many of the anti-death penalty people are pro-abortion?"

So the question remains. Why did you place a question mark at the end of your statement?

Donger
04-24-2013, 10:25 AM
No, it was a statement about your curiousities. If it was a question then it should have read something like "How many of the anti-death penalty people are pro-abortion?"

So the question remains. Why did you place a question mark at the end of your statement?

Because it was a question that come about based on my curiosity on the subject.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 10:26 AM

I wonder, too?

KC native
04-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Because it was a question that come about based on my curiosity on the subject.

It was a statement. Not a question.

Donger
04-24-2013, 10:29 AM
It was a statement. Not a question.

I think you are confused, but that's okay.

See, that was a statement.

ForeverChiefs58
04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Death penalty is for the worst of the worst. I don't understand how anyone could be against someone like the Carr brothers getting what they deserve.

ForeverChiefs58
04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
So, the ppl against the death penalty feel the Boston bomber should just get Prison? What about possibility of parole?

bevischief
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
The problem with the death penalty is that it has been applied unfairly far too often. If it is truly impossible to institute sufficient controls to "fix" that problem, then I would probably oppose it.

However, as Hamas put it, there are certain "slam dunk" cases for which the appropriate punishment is death. The threat of the death penalty is also a very effective tool that a prosecutor can use to get a guilty plea from a defendant and spare the family of the victim(s) from having to endure a long and protracted trial.

If supporting the death penalty makes me a bloodthirsty vengeance-seeking cretin, so be it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

DaveNull
04-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Obvious troll is obvious.

Donger
04-24-2013, 11:45 AM

I suppose you could call it that. But, I'd be curious as to why one would be fine with one and not the other?

tooge
04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
you didn't include my option.

"I don't oppose it. In fact, I think it should be carried out in public forums with Lions and shit"

ForeverChiefs58
04-24-2013, 11:54 AM
I suppose you could call it that. But, I'd be curious as to why one would be fine with one and not the other?

I can see the other way, someone being against abortion and for the death penalty. But like you, I cannot understand why anyone would be against the DP and for abortion.

Donger
04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
I can see the other way, someone being against abortion and for the death penalty.

The death PENALTY is something carried out as punishment for a crime. Is abortion?

DaveNull
04-24-2013, 11:58 AM
I think the logic behind arguments in favor or against are pretty different. You might see some folks that see an overlap between their justifications (being against intentional killing of any kind in all instances) but I think those people don't have very refined viewpoints.

Not to say they are wrong wine way or another.

ForeverChiefs58
04-24-2013, 12:04 PM
The death PENALTY is something carried out as punishment for a crime. Is abortion?

Nope. That is why I could see being for the DP and still against abortion.

RedNeckRaider
04-24-2013, 03:26 PM

How so? It is a valid question and I have often wondered how someone squares the circle regarding a contradiction~

Sannyasi
04-24-2013, 03:36 PM

But how can death be a penalty, when it is the one thing all of us, guilty and innocent alike, share in common?

Sorter
04-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Because a fetus isn't a human being, duh!!!!

:)