PDA

View Full Version : Education Professor told students to stomp on paper with Jesus's name on it

Msmith
04-24-2013, 08:43 AM
A Florida Atlantic University student said he was suspended from class after he refused a professor’s directive to stomp on a piece of paper with the word “Jesus” written on it.

“I’m not going to be sitting in a class having my religious rights desecrated,” student Ryan Rotela told television station WPEC. “I truly see this as I’m being punished.”

Rotela, who is a devout Mormon, said the instructor in his Intercultural Communications class told the students to write the name “Jesus” on a sheet of paper. Then, they were told to put the paper on the floor.

“He had us all stand up and he said ‘Stomp on it,’” Rotela said. “I picked up the paper from the floor and put it right back on the table.

The young college student told the instructor, Deandre Poole, that the assignment was insulting and offensive.

“I said to the professor, ‘With all due respect to your authority as a professor, I do not believe what you told us to do was appropriate,’” Rotela said. ‘I believe it was unprofessional and I was deeply offended by what you told me to do...’”

Link:http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2013/03/22/professor-makes-students-stomp-on-jesus-n1545475/page/full/

I wonder what the media reaction will be, if the word is not "Jesus" but "Mohammed".

Prison Bitch
04-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Wonder what would happen if a prof told students to do that to Martin Luther King's photo.

FishingRod
04-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Good for the Student. Blindly following authority is not a good thing. I wonder what the landscaping supervisor did to piss off the professor?

blaise
04-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Isn't this a couple of weeks old? I think the professor might have even been fired.

I did read today though, that a professor at that same university is blogging that the Boston Bombing was fake. And it's the same guy that said Newtown was faked.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Just like the gun shirt story, there's always more to it than what these shitty reporters tell. It's unbelievable the amount of shit stories there are. It's frustrating.

People aren't suspended from a college course for refusing to step on a piece of paper with Jesus on it.

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Change the word Jesus to Allah

People get blown up

kaboom

Dave Lane
04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University professor accused of having students write the name "Jesus" in large letters on a piece of paper put it on the floor and step on it, is speaking out about the controversy.

Dr. Deandre Poole told insiderhighered.com , "I was doing my job." He said he was following directions from the instructor's guide.

He also disputes the notion that he told students to 'stomp on Jesus.'

In the article he said he only asked people to step on the paper and that only one student had an objection.

Professor Poole is "very religious" and that "Jesus is my lord and savior, it's how I identify myself as a Christian."

He told insidehighered.com that the he expected students to pause before stepping on the paper, with their discomfort setting off a discussion.

He says he has received hate mail and death threats and that people have called for his firing. "And it's all for doing my job. I was doing my job."
FAU put Poole on administrative leave for his safety.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/national/Dr-Deandre-Poole-FAU-professor-on-Jesus-stomping-controversy-I-was-doing-my-job#ixzz2ROVXvV7z

Prison Bitch
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Wonder what woulda happened had he asked students to stomp on a picture of Trayvon Martin.

WilliamTheIrish
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Is it not possible to set off the discussion in any other way?

I'm not very religious. I'm not a professor. But I'll bet I could guide students to a discussion of whatever it was supposed to be by.... you know.... ASKING THEM TO HAVE A DISCUSSION.

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:27 AM

I'm not very religious. I'm not a professor. But I'll bet I could guide students to a discussion of whatever it was supposed to be by.... you know.... ASKING THEM TO HAVE A DISCUSSION.

Silence

Lots of students just want to sit through class and be done with it.

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Wonder what woulda happened had he asked students to stomp on a picture of Trayvon Martin.

the picture might get dirty or torn

Dave Lane
04-24-2013, 09:28 AM

I agree with that completely but I think its interesting half the OP was crap and this prof is a christian.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 09:29 AM

I'm guessing Florida Atlantic University is for high school grads who want to do even less work than going to a community college.

WilliamTheIrish
04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Silence

Some professors / any professional know how to engage students of all ages in a discussion. I've never needed a trick to get people to talk. Just have to have a great capacity for friendship.

Saul Good
04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Just like the gun shirt story, there's always more to it than what these shitty reporters tell. It's unbelievable the amount of shit stories there are. It's frustrating.

People aren't suspended from a college course for refusing to step on a piece of paper with Jesus on it.

Sounds like there isn't more to the story.

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Some professors / any professional know how to engage students of all ages in a discussion. I've never needed a trick to get people to talk. Just have to have a great capacity for friendship.

SOME professors

apparently this guy needed a gimmick

Saul Good
04-24-2013, 09:32 AM

People without talent often try to make up for it by being shocking/outrageous. Reality television is making it's way into classrooms...not that surprising, really.

DJ's left nut
04-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Silence

Socratic method - you don't give them the option.

You don't generally see it put to practice until post-graduate work, but when they do, By God it's effective.

My Con-Law professor was the Dean at MU's Law School and he would set entire rows on blast and just roar through you. You'd have 75 students in a lecture hall sitting there in abject terror hoping that he didn't drop his finger on your name.

And Dean Dessem was a great guy, but if you didn't know your stuff he would absolutely tear you to ribbons. A few other guys there were exactly like that and man you came to class prepared. Professor Whitman was like a hilariously cutthroat version of the Paper Chase professor; he'd give you a wry grin and proceed to give you the best-natured, passive aggressive ass-kicking you'd ever receive. And I've never known anyone to say a cross word about him - he was an amazing teacher.

Then there were a few lazy ones where if you just stared at them long enough, they'd feed you the answers. That was the class where I caught up on my current events in the back row.

All you have to do to create discussion is not suck at your job. That's why I have very little empathy for the 'poor teachers that just can't engage a classroom.' I've seen it done and on subjects a hell of a lot more boring than religious studies or American history. You just have to be willing to work for it. You can't go from the "Professor's Guide" or the lesson plan you've used for the last 1/2 decade. You have stay on top of your field, just like the rest of the working world does.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Sounds like there isn't more to the story.

Yeah there is. Apparently security was called because the student pounded his fist and yelled at the instructor.

Msmith
04-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah there is. Apparently security was called because the student pounded his fist and yelled at the instructor.

If someone insults a person you deeply love and respect, what would your instant reaction be?

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
If someone insults a person you deeply love and respect, what would your instant reaction be?

give him money and say you understand his opinion because it insults Christians

Mojo Jojo
04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Dr. Deandre Poole told insiderhighered.com , "I was doing my job." He said he was following directions from the instructor's guide..."

WTH...he is using a book for his lesson plans. So much for even professors thinking for themselves...Lame

DJ's left nut
04-24-2013, 09:46 AM
WTH...he is using a book for his lesson plans. So much for even professors thinking for themselves...Lame

Like I said - sometimes you have to actually try.

Prison Bitch
04-24-2013, 09:47 AM
If someone stomped on a picture of Sandra Fluke, that would just be more proof of the "War On Women"

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:47 AM

yeah, heh. it's not even ORIGINAL stupidity

La literatura
04-24-2013, 09:49 AM

I'd be overly dramatic, call a newspaper, threaten to kill the person, and start a thread on chiefsplanet about it.

mikey23545
04-24-2013, 09:49 AM
BOCA RATON, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University professor accused of having students write the name "Jesus" in large letters on a piece of paper put it on the floor and step on it, is speaking out about the controversy.

Dr. Deandre Poole told insiderhighered.com , "I was doing my job." He said he was following directions from the instructor's guide.

In the article he said he only asked people to step on the paper and that only one student had an objection.

Professor Poole is "very religious" and that "Jesus is my lord and savior, it's how I identify myself as a Christian."

He told insidehighered.com that the he expected students to pause before stepping on the paper, with their discomfort setting off a discussion.

He says he has received hate mail and death threats and that people have called for his firing. "And it's all for doing my job. I was doing my job."

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/national/Dr-Deandre-Poole-FAU-professor-on-Jesus-stomping-controversy-I-was-doing-my-job#ixzz2ROVXvV7z

Wow, that sounds just like "I have a lot of friends who are black!"

Msmith
04-24-2013, 09:50 AM
give him money and say you understand his opinion because it insults Christians

:D

Why are you labeled "Banned"?

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:51 AM

neg rep them

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:52 AM
:D

Why are you labeled "Banned"?

i labeled myself that a few weeks ago when flopnuts was randomly banning people for fun

Msmith
04-24-2013, 09:54 AM
I'd be overly dramatic, call a newspaper, threaten to kill the person, and start a thread on chiefsplanet about it.

They may not do this (http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/016-insulters-islam.htm); however, the Mormon Sect is a very powerful force in America.

loochy
04-24-2013, 09:55 AM
They may not do this (http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/016-insulters-islam.htm); however, the Mormon Sect is a very powerful force in America.

So powerful, in fact, that they propelled their man all the way to victory in the last election...

...oh wait

listopencil
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Can someone write all these rules down for me? They are hard to keep track of. Let me see...can't draw pictures of Mohammed because that would be worshiping an idol, have to treat any depiction of Christ (or even a piece of paper with his name on it) as if it were Christ himself but that's not worshiping an idol...man. It's so much easier being a Buddhist. I've been told that if I were to meet Buddha I am expected to kill him, and that makes perfect sense to me.

jettio
04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
WWJD?

I kind of think Jesus might say that his name written on a piece of paper is not some kind of voodoo icon.

It might be more objectionable if he asked the students to desecrate prayer cards or a velvet Jesus painting or tore apart some rosary beads.

The Islamic people are overly senstive regarding desecrating depictions of Mohammed if you ask me. I don't think American Christians should show the same tendency over something that is not even a depiction.

So, was this student "suspended from class" like the lead post says?

listopencil
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
I kind of think Jesus might say that his name written on a piece of paper is not some kind of voodoo icon.

Bingo.

Msmith
04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
So, was this student "suspended from class" like the lead post says?

The student is back to the class which is now taught by another professor. Prof Poole is on leave with pay.

listopencil
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
The student is back to the class which is now taught by another professor. Prof Poole is on leave with pay.

For his safety because religious fundamentalists are dangerous.

NewChief
04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Huh. Not a cool assignment. That being said, I've done a similar assignment as a team building/advisory activity.

What you do:

Give people 8 pieces of paper. Have them write the word they identify with from the following categories. One category/word for each slip of paper:
1) Ethnicity
2) Gender
3) Religion
4) Hobby
5) Name
6) Favorite possession
7) Can't remember
8) Can't remember

Then you all stand in a circle and say, "We're on a life raft that is sinking. Unfortunately, we all have a lot of baggage that is weighing us down. We're going to all have to throw one of our cards off the life raft." So people have to pick something that they identify with, tear the card, and throw it off the raft. You then have them talk about what they chose to throw out. This goes all the way down until you get to one card, and you all talk about why you chose that one card.

Kids get really thoughtful about what they're discarding and having to choose between, and it opens up some awesome conversation about values and seeing what various people/cultures value over others.

It's a pretty powerful activity, but I can see how someone might be offended by it as well if I asked them to tear up the card that says ,"Christian" on it... or whatever religion they might be.

listopencil
04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Huh. Not a cool assignment. That being said, I've done a similar assignment as a team building/advisory activity.

What you do:

Give people 8 pieces of paper. Have them write the word they identify with from the following categories. One category/word for each slip of paper:
1) Ethnicity
2) Gender
3) Religion
4) Hobby
5) Name
6) Favorite possession
7) Can't remember
8) Can't remember

Then you all stand in a circle and say, "We're on a life raft that is sinking. Unfortunately, we all have a lot of baggage that is weighing us down. We're going to all have to throw one of our cards off the life raft." So people have to pick something that they identify with, tear the card, and throw it off the raft. You then have them talk about what they chose to throw out. This goes all the way down until you get to one card, and you all talk about why you chose that one card.

Kids get really thoughtful about what they're discarding and having to choose between, and it opens up some awesome conversation about values and seeing what various people/cultures value over others.

It's a pretty powerful activity, but I can see how someone might be offended by it as well if I asked them to tear up the card that says ,"Christian" on it... or whatever religion they might be.

The only one on that list I identify with is gender. I would imagine that nationality would be a good one to put on a card, and hobby could be a pretty good one depending on how it is defined.

jettio
04-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Good, this might just be the last minor outrage of 2013.

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2013, 10:53 AM

What you do:

1) Ethnicity
2) Gender
3) Religion
4) Hobby
5) Name
6) Favorite possession
7) Can't remember
8) Can't remember

It's a pretty powerful activity, but I can see how someone might be offended by it as well if I asked them to tear up the card that says ,"Christian" on it... or whatever religion they might be.You should probably be fired, as you might have made someone uncomfortable or caused them to think.

Chief Gump
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
You should probably be fired, as you might have made someone uncomfortable or caused them to think.

Exactly, the people in this thread bashing the teacher are ridiculous.

mnchiefsguy
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Exactly, the people in this thread bashing the teacher are ridiculous.

The teacher should not have made it a required exercise. If the student refuses, move on to the next one and let it be. It was only when the teacher forces the issue that things started getting crazy.

Like was said earlier in this thread...if it was Mohammad or Martin Luther King Jr. on that paper, what would the reaction have been? The teacher probably would have been fired outright, instead of being put on leave with pay.

mr. tegu
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
The teacher should not have made it a required exercise. If the student refuses, move on to the next one and let it be. It was only when the teacher forces the issue that things started getting crazy.

Like was said earlier in this thread...if it was Mohammad or Martin Luther King Jr. on that paper, what would the reaction have been? The teacher probably would have been fired outright, instead of being put on leave with pay.

After the student made it known he was offended, does it say anywhere the teacher's response? Did he really force him to continue and stomp on it? Or is this student just being overly sensitive and whiny?

mnchiefsguy
04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
After the student made it known he was offended, does it say anywhere the teacher's response? Did he really force him to continue and stomp on it? Or is this student just being overly sensitive and whiny?

Don't know. But religion is not supposed to be in education to begin with....if we are going to outlaw prayer in schools, then stomping on Jesus should be a no no as well. (I know that this is a college, so the separation of church and state is a great deal more blurred, but you get the gist of what I am saying.)

bevischief
04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I wonder what was the discussion was and what point the professor was trying to get across?

mr. tegu
04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Don't know. But religion is not supposed to be in education to begin with....if we are going to outlaw prayer in schools, then stomping on Jesus should be a no no as well. (I know that this is a college, so the separation of church and state is a great deal more blurred, but you get the gist of what I am saying.)

Addressing your second sentence, this is a class about cultures. Religion is a part of cultures. No reason to not be able to talk about religion in that class.

And in this case in particular, if a student wants to stomp on the paper let them. If not, they have that right as well. I have my questions as to what happened after he objected and I doubt the teacher forced or threatened him into stomping on it.

Prison Bitch
04-24-2013, 11:41 AM
You should probably be fired, as you might have made someone uncomfortable or caused them to think.

You should have unlimited job security then, seeing as how you've never caused anyone to think.

mnchiefsguy
04-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Addressing your second sentence, this is a class about cultures. Religion is a part of cultures. No reason to not be able to talk about religion in that class.

And in this case in particular, if a student wants to stomp on the paper let them. If not, they have that right as well. I have my questions as to what happened after he objected and I doubt the teacher forced or threatened him into stomping on it.

Talking about religion in class is one thing. Doing an activity that appears to be blatantly sacrilegious is something else. It does not take much common sense to see that stomping on a picture of Jesus is going to offend Christians. What educational goal is accomplished by this? It does positively contribute to a cultural discussion...(it might if they actually bashed more than just Christian figureheads...that can open the door to discussions about tolerance of other cultures, but that did not appear to happen in this case.)

It is a class about cultures that seems to focus on Jesus bashing. If the class had been required to stomp on Mohammad, I am sure it would have made the news, and made bigger headlines than this incident did.

loochy
04-24-2013, 11:45 AM

The student was clearly held to gunpoint while the professor told him "step on your precious God, do it, show him what you think of him"

mr. tegu
04-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Talking about religion in class is one thing. Doing an activity that appears to be blatantly sacrilegious is something else. It does not take much common sense to see that stomping on a picture of Jesus is going to offend Christians. What educational goal is accomplished by this? It does positively contribute to a cultural discussion...(it might if they actually bashed more than just Christian figureheads...that can open the door to discussions about tolerance of other cultures, but that did not appear to happen in this case.)

It is a class about cultures that seems to focus on Jesus bashing. If the class had been required to stomp on Mohammad, I am sure it would have made the news, and made bigger headlines than this incident did.

It wasn't a picture. That is a pretty big difference than just the written name. The goal as stated is pretty clear in that they are wanting to discuss symbols as stated in the text from the book. It was supposed to get an emotional response from students.

Also, what would writing Mohammad and stepping on that do for someone who has no positive emotional reaction to it? Nothing. That is not nearly as challenging and defeats the whole purpose. Maybe they should have been instructed to write the name of their own personal religious leader. That would be more effective since all students of all faiths would be challenged to step on the name of whom they have their faith in.

loochy
04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
That would be more effective since all students of all faiths would be challenged to step on the name of whom they have their faith in.

At a college? Probably most of then would write down OBAMA

WhiteWhale
04-24-2013, 08:01 PM
If the accusations are true, this is disgusting.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-24-2013, 09:45 PM
If the accusations are true, this is disgusting.

No worse than the GOD hating that goes on here 24/7.

listopencil
04-25-2013, 12:06 AM

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/pjsoldier/bigjesus-and-you-know-it2.jpg

theelusiveeightrop
04-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Gotta be a better way to engage 18-22 year olds.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-25-2013, 06:29 AM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/pjsoldier/bigjesus-and-you-know-it2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZaZEf.jpg

WhiteWhale
04-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Quit bitching.

You might be the most hateful person on here and have shown NO respect for the thoughts and beliefs of others.

blaise
04-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Quit bitching.

You might be the most hateful person on here and have shown NO respect for the thoughts and beliefs of others.

I don't really notice KC being hateful. Maybe it's in threads I don't read.

LOCOChief
04-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Too bad some people can't recognize that it shouldn't have been an assignment to begin with. It's completely inappropriate and in some places down here that professors new name would be "bait"

stevieray
04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
No worse than the GOD hating that goes on here 24/7.and yet, some of the same people will validate allah.

listopencil
04-25-2013, 09:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZaZEf.jpg

See? Buddhists know how to have fun and enjoy life.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 09:32 AM

It doesn't sound like the professor's plan was to have many people actually follow through with stepping on the paper. Evoking an emotion is a good way to start a conversation, as evidenced in this forum many times.

I am assuming most people in the class are, or at least were at some point, Christian, so using Jesus instead of Mohammed or Buddha or whoever would have been the best way to draw out the emotion the professor was looking for.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I wonder what was the discussion was and what point the professor was trying to get across?

Fox News obtained a synopsis of the lesson that got Rotela in trouble.

“Have the students write the name JESUS in big letters on a piece of paper,” the lesson reads. “Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can’t step on the paper. Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.”

The OP was dishonest and only pulled quotes to backup their opinion, not what actually happened.

Msmith
04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
“Have the students write the name MARTIN LUTHER KING in big letters on a piece of paper,” the lesson reads. “Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can’t step on the paper. Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.”

What do you think the African American community would react? What do you think Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton would say?

King_Chief_Fan
04-25-2013, 10:03 AM
The OP was dishonest and only pulled quotes to backup their opinion, not what actually happened.

so, what happened then? The professor did tell students to stomp on the paper with Jesus name on it.....what was dishonest about the post? The rest of the information (link) was posted in the post as well.

King_Chief_Fan
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM
“Have the students write the name MARTIN LUTHER KING in big letters on a piece of paper,” the lesson reads. “Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can’t step on the paper. Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.”

What do you think the African American community would react? What do you think Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharpton would say?
a freaking riot would have occured

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 10:08 AM
so, what happened then? The professor did tell students to stomp on the paper with Jesus name on it.....what was dishonest about the post? The rest of the information (link) was posted in the post as well.

It was taken completely out of context. The intention of the professor is explained in the lesson plan, which was that most people wouldn't actually step on the paper because of the symbol that was represented on it.

LOCOChief
04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Again it's too bad that there are so many that don't understand that the lesson is just wrong, but this dipshit professor had to push it. If his intent was to draw emotion then that's exactly what he got.
And whoever suggested that if the name was MLK is right, this would have gone viral.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Again it's too bad that there are so many that don't understand that the lesson is just wrong, but this dipshit professor had to push it. If his intent was to draw emotion then that's exactly what he got.

Why was it wrong? Please explain for those that don't get it.

listopencil
04-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Because it's apparently not idolatry to worship a piece of paper.

stevieray
04-25-2013, 10:55 AM
It doesn't sound like the professor's plan was to have many people actually follow through with stepping on the paper. Evoking an emotion is a good way to start a conversation, as evidenced in this forum many times.

I am assuming most people in the class are, or at least were at some point, Christian, so using Jesus instead of Mohammed or Buddha or whoever would have been the best way to draw out the emotion the professor was looking for.

then why was he suspended from the class?

blaise
04-25-2013, 10:57 AM

For his safety. The lesson that was intended to provoke an emotional reaction surprisingly provoked an emotional reaction.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 11:02 AM

The professor is on leave with pay. If you are referring to 'he' as the student, he claims it was because he refused to stomp on the piece of paper, which was the intended purpose of the lesson so I am not sure how valid that is.

bevischief
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM

This is what I thought happened.

LOCOChief
04-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Really? How do you “not get it”?
Its sacrilege and distasteful to suggest this “lesson” to those that whom might view Christ as Lord and Savior whether or not you believe this. It is the student’s right to have or not have a personal relationship with whomever they might choose to worship. To ask a person to dishonor that is wrong. The idea of writing the name, placing it on the ground and stepping on it is disrespectful of the student’s beliefs and serves no honorable purpose.

Example: If the student had a mother that he or she loved and respected very much that died a horrific death and the teacher asked that the student write the name of their deceased mother on a piece of paper, place it on the ground and step on it what reaction from the son / student would this most likely evoke and why?

Pitt Gorilla
04-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Too bad some people can't recognize that it shouldn't have been an assignment to begin with. It's completely inappropriate and in some places down here that professors new name would be "bait"it was a word on a piece of paper. FFS.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Really? How do you “not get it”?
Its sacrilege and distasteful to suggest this “lesson” to those that whom might view Christ as Lord and Savior whether or not you believe this. It is the student’s right to have or not have a personal relationship with whomever they might choose to worship. To ask a person to dishonor that is wrong. The idea of writing the name, placing it on the ground and stepping on it is disrespectful of the student’s beliefs and serves no honorable purpose.

If this is what he believes, I'm not sure a college setting is appropriate for this student. College courses are meant to teach critical thinking and understanding. No one asked him to turn in his Jesus card, and actually the purpose was to affirm what the name meant to him.

KC Dan
04-25-2013, 11:18 AM
If this is what he believes, I'm not sure a college setting is appropriate for this student. College courses are meant to teach critical thinking and understanding. No one asked him to turn in his Jesus card.Yeah, stepping on a piece of paper with the name Jesus on it initiates critical thinking? More like a waste of time and there are far better ways to inspire critical thinking than this dumb azz stunt. That's all this was, a Dave Lane clone making a point. That is it

blaise
04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
They should just say to write the name of the person you most admire or respect or something like that. Just stating that it should be Jesus makes it look like you have an agenda, even if that's not actually the case.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Yeah, stepping on a piece of paper with the name Jesus on it initiates critical thinking? More like a waste of time and there are far better ways to inspire critical thinking than this dumb azz stunt. That's all this was, a Dave Lane clone making a point. That is it

Yes, it initiates critical thinking about why they hesitated and helps them understand what caused the hesitation and the symbolism that the name represents. The class is Intercultural Communications and I am not sure the student is prepared for how other cultures live and communicate. Especially not when his first reaction is "Ermagerd we gun step on muh Jesus!" that he can't think beyond that level.

KC Dan
04-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, it initiates critical thinking about why they hesitated and helps them understand what caused the hesitation and the symbolism that the name represents. The class is Intercultural Communications and I am not sure the student is prepared for how other cultures live and communicate. Especially not when his first reaction is "Ermagerd we gun step on muh Jesus!" that he can't think beyond that level.Why didn't the professor have them write Allah on the paper? I think you know why in our wonderful PC world....This was completely stupid from the word go

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Why didn't the professor have them write Allah on the paper? I think you know why in our wonderful PC world....This was completely stupid from the word go

Are you saying that Allah and Jesus carry the same weight in our culture?

LOCOChief
04-25-2013, 11:42 AM
it was a word on a piece of paper. FFS.

Yes agreed it was a word that happens to be the name of someone that is loved by many.

And you don't get it either. This actually tells me a great deal about you as a person.

KC Dan
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Are you saying that Allah and Jesus carry the same weight in our culture?Obviously not, it seems to be ok with you and many others to desecrate the word Jesus but if you try the same thing with Allah, you are a bigot and instantly marked for death. But, of course university wackjob professors would never, ever do anything about Islam that may be frowned upon...You don't get it do you?

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Obviously not

Then why would it make sense to stomp on a piece of paper with Allah on it? Also, does it provide a better understanding of why people in other cultures react so strongly when they feel Islamic symbols are being desecrated?

HC_Chief
04-25-2013, 11:48 AM

He was effective in that aspect, as one student refused to stomp on the paper and reportedly communicated why to the professor. So why the suspension of the student? No controversy if the student was not suspended from class. Either the student is lying, or the professor is lying.

LOCOChief
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
If this is what he believes, I'm not sure a college setting is appropriate for this student. College courses are meant to teach critical thinking and understanding. No one asked him to turn in his Jesus card, and actually the purpose was to affirm what the name meant to him.

Oh ok jackass so what your saying is because he's a Christian college isn't the place for him. No he was asked to disrespect someone of importance to him. You don't let the American Flag touch the ground out of respect and it is also a symbol.

Where the fuck are your values, morals? I'll bet you didn't get the analogy with the mother either.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Oh ok jackass so what your saying is because he's a Christian college isn't the place for him. No he was asked to disrespect someone of importance to him. You don't let the American Flag touch the ground out of respect and it is also a symbol.

Where the **** are your values, morals? I'll bet you didn't get the analogy with the mother either.

I never said anything about a him being Christian, only his critical thinking ability.

The student would most likely have the same reaction in the analogy with the mother, however the difference is that the student's mother doesn't mean the same thing to another student. Jesus is a common symbol, especially one that would cause hesitation, that the discussion could be centered around.

LOCOChief
04-25-2013, 12:47 PM
I never said anything about a him being Christian, only his critical thinking ability.

The student would most likely have the same reaction in the analogy with the mother, however the difference is that the student's mother doesn't mean the same thing to another student. Jesus is a common symbol, especially one that would cause hesitation, that the discussion could be centered around.

So it is necessary to be disrespectful of someone’s beliefs to invoke discussion? The professor instructed the student, it says nothing of him asking if the student would be ok with writing the name Jesus on a piece of paper, placing it on the floor and stepping on it.

I don't care what anyone other than me believes in, you can worship at the altar of the flying spaghetti monster, I don't care. For an instructor, boss, professor, teacher to not ask but instruct a student or anyone in a subordinate position to stray from their values and beliefs is wrong and completely unnecessary.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 01:31 PM
So it is necessary to be disrespectful of someone’s beliefs to invoke discussion? The professor instructed the student, it says nothing of him asking if the student would be ok with writing the name Jesus on a piece of paper, placing it on the floor and stepping on it.

I don't care what anyone other than me believes in, you can worship at the altar of the flying spaghetti monster, I don't care. For an instructor, boss, professor, teacher to not ask but instruct a student or anyone in a subordinate position to stray from their values and beliefs is wrong and completely unnecessary.

College is supposed to be for higher level thinking, so yes it is appropriate for that setting. Blind faith is for Bible study groups.

I get that you don't care about other people's beliefs, but I have a feeling you also do not respect other's peoples beliefs that aren't the same as yours. A class that teaches multicultural communication is something that might be tough for you to understand in that case. Same goes with the student in the article.

J Diddy
04-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Yes agreed it was a word that happens to be the name of someone that is loved by many.

And you don't get it either. This actually tells me a great deal about you as a person.

That he doesn't get the reason for idolizing a name rather than embracing the spirit?

J Diddy
04-25-2013, 02:24 PM

For crying out loud. It is an intercultural communications class. Do you think if you went to another country with very different cultural and religious beliefs that they are going to necessarily be respectful of your beliefs and culture, especially when you are coming to them to do business.?

It's preparing kids for real life, and sometimes real life isn't nice. Quit fucking crying about it.

Chiefnj2
04-25-2013, 02:29 PM

JESUS, JESUS, JESUS.

Now, you aren't allowed to close this thread or window because you'd be closing and x'ing out Jesus and that would be disrespectful.

Chief Gump
04-25-2013, 02:37 PM
JESUS, JESUS, JESUS.

Now, you aren't allowed to close this thread or window because you'd be closing and x'ing out Jesus and that would be disrespectful.

Ha, I like it.

Chief Gump
04-25-2013, 02:40 PM
The best part of this entire story is the professor having them do it is a Christian as well. He wasn't making them do it, them not doing it was part of the exercise.

LOCOChief
04-25-2013, 03:18 PM
College is supposed to be for higher level thinking, so yes it is appropriate for that setting. Blind faith is for Bible study groups.

I get that you don't care about other people's beliefs, but I have a feeling you also do not respect other's peoples beliefs that aren't the same as yours. A class that teaches multicultural communication is something that might be tough for you to understand in that case. Same goes with the student in the article.

It is not difficult to see that you lack the intelligence to comprehend my response however it is difficult to accept the fact that people such as yourself lack the moral convictions and principals that make can a society great. My experiences as a parent of a college student (engineering major in his senior year) leaves me with the impression that the reason you don't poses sound principals, values and civility is a direct result of poor or inept parenting. Unlike your parents I chose not to deprive my son the understanding of the golden rule and to be respectful of others and their beliefs. He has been raised to think for himself and be humble in nature, but at the same time to stay true and loyal to his core beliefs always affording others the same.

I'm certainly not saying that "higher level thinking" or a college education strips people of these notions but your dumbass is trying to tell me it’s a substitute for them or that you’re above it.

All that boils down to the fact that in the real world outside your ivory towers of "higher level thinking" you are an absolute joke. :thumb:

LOCOChief
04-25-2013, 03:23 PM
For crying out loud. It is an intercultural communications class. Do you think if you went to another country with very different cultural and religious beliefs that they are going to necessarily be respectful of your beliefs and culture, especially when you are coming to them to do business.?

It's preparing kids for real life, and sometimes real life isn't nice. Quit ****ing crying about it.

I do business in the real world and telling a student to write Jesus on a piece of paper and step on it serves no purpose in preparing someone for life injustices you dumb fuck.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 03:35 PM
It is not difficult to see that you lack the intelligence to comprehend my response however it is difficult to accept the fact that people such as yourself lack the moral convictions and principals that make can a society great. My experiences as a parent of a college student (engineering major in his senior year) leaves me with the impression that the reason you don't poses sound principals, values and civility is a direct result of poor or inept parenting. Unlike your parents I chose not to deprive my son the understanding of the golden rule and to be respectful of others and their beliefs. He has been raised to think for himself and be humble in nature, but at the same time to stay true and loyal to his core beliefs always affording others the same.

I'm certainly not saying that "higher level thinking" or a college education strips people of these notions but your dumbass is trying to tell me it’s a substitute for them or that you’re above it.

All that boils down to the fact that in the real world outside your ivory towers of "higher level thinking" you are an absolute joke. :thumb:

Pretty much what I expected from you at this point. You can't handle the debate so you resort to name calling and attacking the way I was parented. If that is how you practice the golden rule, then so be it. You are being more disrespectful to your God than I or that professor ever was.

listopencil
04-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Pretty much what I expected from you at this point. You can't handle the debate so you resort to name calling and attacking the way I was parented. If that is how you practice the golden rule, then so be it. You are being more disrespectful to your God than I or that professor ever was.

Truth.

listopencil
04-25-2013, 03:50 PM

You should probably take the time right now to teach your son not to worship idols. It may not be too late for you to make up for that mistake on your part.

mnchiefsguy
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM

It's preparing kids for real life, and sometimes real life isn't nice. Quit ****ing crying about it.

Problem is, the class is not really intercultural when you are only stomping on Jessus, no? If it was truly intercultural, shouldn't the class be stomping on Mohammad and Buddha as well?

loochy
04-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Problem is, the class is not really intercultural when you are only stomping on Jessus, no? If it was truly intercultural, shouldn't the class be stomping on Mohammad and Buddha as well?

nope, those are off limits

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM

Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.

This is the last sentence in the lesson plan. Mohammad and Buddha do not have the same importance in this culture that Jesus does. In order to draw a parallel to other cultures that do value those symbols, the professor is drawing on feelings regarding one they do value.

J Diddy
04-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Which would be a valid point that I can only answer with the possible makeup of the class.
I do business in the real world and telling a student to write Jesus on a piece of paper and step on it serves no purpose in preparing someone for life injustices you dumb ****.

Maybe not to you. You appear to be so upset by it that perhaps you never learned sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. It's a piece of paper with a word on it. You act with the same sense of indignation that extremist Muslims do when someone draws a cartoon that paints Muhammed in a negative light.

Sully
04-25-2013, 05:15 PM
I hate stepping into this, and know better than to comment... But here I go.

I wonder what all the students, including the one in question, have done with said piece of paper at this point. Wild assumption here, but I'm gonna guess they are all in the trash.

Brock
04-25-2013, 05:48 PM

I wonder what all the students, including the one in question, have done with said piece of paper at this point. Wild assumption here, but I'm gonna guess they are all in the trash.

They have been carefully preserved for future generations, like the shroud of turin.

Dave Lane
04-25-2013, 09:25 PM

How dare they! I'm gonna post a thread on things to be outraged about!

Pitt Gorilla
04-25-2013, 11:02 PM
They have been carefully preserved for future generations, like the shroud of turin.We actually recycle our church bulletins. :eek: