PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Asshat Republican Wants First Graders to Work for Food

gblowfish
04-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Making Children -we're talking first grade to sixth grade- be forced to work to get a meal is the ultimate in "compassionate conservatism." JFC, is there no end to the idiocy?

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/WVa-Senate-Plan-Would-Give-Every-Kid-Free-Lunch--200267021.html

A West Virginia lawmaker floated the idea during floor debate in the state's House of Delegates of having school children work as janitors, the Associated Press reports.

The West Virginia House recently passed a school lunch bill on an overwhelmingly bipartisan basis, by a vote of 89-9, according to the Associated Press. The Feed to Achieve Act would establish nonprofits to solicit private donations to go toward providing every child with a breakfast and lunch at no cost.

But one Republican suggested that was a misguided notion.

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids work for their lunches: trash to be taken out, hallways to be swept, lawns to be mowed, make them earn it," Del. Ray Canterbury (R-Greenbrier) said during floor debate. "If they miss a lunch or they miss a meal they might not, in that class that afternoon, learn to add, they may not learn to diagram a sentence, but they'll learn a more important lesson."

Canterbury argued that providing students with free lunches would destroy their work ethic and show them "there's an easy way," the Charleston Gazette reported.

"I'm offended anybody in this body would dare say a child has to work for their meals," responded Del. Meshea Poore (D-Kanawha), according to the Gazette. "I can't believe someone would say a first-grader, a second-grader ... a fifth-grader has to labor before they eat. This isn't an entitlement bill."

According to a 2004 report from the Annie E. Casey Foundation, children in West Virginia [PDF] were almost twice as likely to live in neighborhoods with a high poverty rate, compared to the national average. The group also ranks West Virginia 47th nationally for education, with 79 percent of eighth graders not proficient in math and 73 percent of fourth graders not proficient in reading.

A national survey in 2012 from Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign found a majority of teachers report pupils coming to school hungry, which the group says makes it more difficult for students to concentrate.

Canterbury's suggestion was similar to a remark made by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich during a debate in the Republican presidential primary, when Gingrich suggested making poor students become janitors at their schools.

The Feed to Achieve Act now heads to the desk of West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin, who is expected to sign it.

HonestChieffan
04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
What on earth are we teaching our children!!!!!! OMG

King_Chief_Fan
04-24-2013, 09:53 AM
As a Republican, I am embarrassed by the asshat.

Human rights advocates should get all over this one.

NewChief
04-24-2013, 10:03 AM
The same dumbass, evidently, proposed a bill to make Science Fiction works compulsory reading, "to stimulate interest in math and science among students in the public schools of this state, the State Board of Education shall prescribe minimum standards by which samples of grade-appropriate science fiction literature are integrated into the curriculum of existing reading, literature or other required courses for middle school and high school students."

Note: I like science fiction, but I don't think it's necessary to make it compulsory reading for every grade.

Prison Bitch
04-24-2013, 10:04 AM
What kind of idiot kid would work for food when Tamerlan tTerrorist got free welfare, Iphone, Mercedes, and food? Look I understand teaching kids how to be responsible citizens who will one day pay their own freight (and Tamerlan's too). But this is a bit much.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
But one Republican suggested that was a misguided notion.

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids work for their lunches: trash to be taken out, hallways to be swept, lawns to be mowed, make them earn it," Del. Ray Canterbury (R-Greenbrier) said during floor debate. "If they miss a lunch or they miss a meal they might not, in that class that afternoon, learn to add, they may not learn to diagram a sentence, but they'll learn a more important lesson."

Canterbury argued that providing students with free lunches would destroy their work ethic and show them "there's an easy way," the Charleston Gazette reported.

Embarrassing. He should be shamed out of public office.

FishingRod
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Change this to

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids parents work for their lunches:

and I'll give it some thought.

loochy
04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Hire kids and you'll get crappy work

Prison Bitch
04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
My dad used to say: "There's no free lunch."

Obviously this was back in the 80s before Obama's time.

loochy
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM

Obviously this was back in the 80s before Obama's time.

No, there was free lunch in the 80s. Those kids had orange colored lunch tickets. The normal kids had blue lunch tickets, paid the standard exorbitant price of $1.65 for lunch, or the brought their lunch from home.

NewChief
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
These fucking dumbasses need to realize that school meals are the only meals some kids eat all day.

I live in an relatively affluent town with a low poverty rate, and we still have to do a homeless/impoverished outreach where we send kids home with "lunchboxes" on Friday because that's probably the only food they're going to get that weekend.

loochy
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
These fucking dumbasses need to realize that school meals are the only meals some kids eat all day.

I live in an relatively affluent town with a low poverty rate, and we still have to do a homeless/impoverished outreach where we send kids home with "lunchboxes" on Friday because that's probably the only food they're going to get that weekend.

I'll buy them a 50 lb bag of rice and a 50 lb bag of dry beans and a jar of vitamins

Radar Chief
04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
These ****ing dumbasses need to realize that school meals are the only meals some kids eat all day.

And that’s everybody else’s fault but the parents how exactly?

La literatura
04-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Are you serious?

Radar Chief
04-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Are you serious?

About parents taking care of their children? Absolutely.

Fairplay
04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
What kind of idiot kid would work for food when Tamerlan Terrorist got free welfare, Iphone, Mercedes, and food?

The Dem's give out free stuff all the time for doing nothing. Republicans suck.

HonestChieffan
04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Clearly this is a move to cut costs and allow the schools to impose a penalty on the children who refuse to put trash in trash containers or to help put books away. This could lead to parents asking kids to actually perform tasks at home and deprive them of simple pleasures they deserve.

Dave Lane
04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
What kind of idiot kid would work for food when Tamerlan tTerrorist got free welfare, Iphone, Mercedes, and food? Look I understand teaching kids how to be responsible citizens who will one day pay their own freight (and Tamerlan's too). But this is a bit much.

You maybe the stupidest man alive barring sr of course.

loochy
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Clearly this is a move to cut costs and allow the schools to impose a penalty on the children who refuse to put trash in trash containers or to help put books away. This could lead to parents asking kids to actually perform tasks at home and deprive them of simple pleasures they deserve.

No. We can't have that. They are poor.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM

No, about making kids clean up their school so they can eat lunch because their parents don't work.

Are you following this thread, or are you making up your own scenarios? Can you sum up the proposal for me?

HonestChieffan
04-24-2013, 10:29 AM
you know the rich kids would get the easy jobs and probably bigger portions at lunch

loochy
04-24-2013, 10:32 AM
you know the rich kids would get the easy jobs and probably bigger portions at lunch

or they'd pay off the poor kids to do their jobs for them because the rich kids know they can just get more food later

mikey23545
How in the world can they learn to function in Obama's America by doing a few chores for their lunches?

Rain Man
Did the change the article in the link? I was wanting to send it to someone, but it seems to be a different article.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 10:35 AM

A kid's "job" in school is to learn, not pick up trash after their students or wipe down the toilets. Many kids have a hard enough time with learning in school as it is. Taking away their lunch because they didn't wipe down the chalkboards or do some other manual labor would make afternoons even worse.

If kids are acting up in classes, have them go to detentions after or before school to do manual labor.

This Republican moron's proposal is a social engineering project designed on perverse incentives that is so divorced from decency and reality that only someone like you would think it's a good idea.

mikey23545
04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Did the change the article in the link? I was wanting to send it to someone, but it seems to be a different article.

The kid who manages the website got stiffed on his dessert yesterday and is playing games.

mikey23545
04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
A kid's "job" in school is to learn, not pick up trash after their students or wipe down the toilets. Many kids have a hard enough time with learning in school as it is. Taking away their lunch because they didn't wipe down the chalkboards or do some other manual labor would make afternoons even worse.

If kids are acting up in classes, have them go to detentions after or before school to do manual labor.

This Republican moron's proposal is a social engineering project designed on perverse incentives that is so divorced from decency and reality that only someone like you would think it's a good idea.

Spoiled Brat Syndrome is on display.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Spoiled Brat Syndrome is on display.

Getting school lunch without having to do manual labor isn't being a spoiled brat. It's fostering a better learning environment.

Prison Bitch
04-24-2013, 10:44 AM

It's so weird - I just got this PM within the hour:

you are an impressive poster...your takes and positioning are spot on in most cases...IMO

I'll let the poster identify himself/herself if they want to. But it is odd that you think I'm stupid but he thinks I'm smart. I mean, it's....so.....weird! ;)

gblowfish
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Sorry, my bad. I was reading this story from a couple of different sources and linked to the wrong page. Try this one:
http://tinyurl.com/d8wjxbs

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2013, 10:53 AM

Obviously this was back in the 80s before Obama's time.I had friends on free and reduced lunches in the 80s.

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
It's so weird - I just got this PM within the hour:

you are an impressive poster...your takes and positioning are spot on in most cases...IMO

I'll let the poster identify himself/herself if they want to. But it is odd that you think I'm stupid but he thinks I'm smart. I mean, it's....so.....weird! ;)ROFL

La literatura
04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I had friends on free and reduced lunches in the 80s.

You shouldn't associate with kids on free and reduced lunches. That way they'll be too lonely to have fun, and they will just work hard after school to pay their own way.

NewChief
04-24-2013, 11:05 AM

It's the parents fault, so let's punish the kids by making them clean up the affluent kid's shit. Awesome.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 11:13 AM
You shouldn't associate with kids on free and reduced lunches. That way they'll be too lonely to have fun, and they will just work hard after school to pay their own way.

I had to edit this because of how ridiculously worded it was.

listopencil
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
It's a mindless, heartless idea that I hope is born of ignorance rather than outright contempt.

Der Flöprer
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
It's the parents fault, so let's punish the kids by making them clean up the affluent kid's shit. Awesome.

And we wonder how bullying is born...

listopencil
04-24-2013, 11:18 AM
"The West Virginia House recently passed a school lunch bill on an overwhelmingly bipartisan basis, by a vote of 89-9, according to the Associated Press. The Feed to Achieve Act would establish nonprofits to solicit private donations to go toward providing every child with a breakfast and lunch at no cost."

This, however, is a great idea.

SNR
04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Wait, I'm misunderstanding this. It says kids have to work for their lunches. So doesn't that just mean ALL kids in the class have to do shit before they're allowed to go to lunch?

People are extracting only the kids on free and reduced lunches from the article, and I don't think that's what the guy was saying.

If it's means what I think it means, that's not all that different from what goes on right now in some schools. I remember in my elementary years that it was school policy to have teachers assign kids clean-up chores around the classroom before they could go home. They included wiping out the sinks, washing the chalkboard, picking up all the paper from the floor, etc. I did it something at the end of every school day from 1st through 5th grade.

NewChief
04-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Wait, I'm misunderstanding this. It says kids have to work for their lunches. So doesn't that just mean ALL kids in the class have to do shit before they're allowed to go to lunch?

People are extracting only the kids on free and reduced lunches from the article, and I don't think that's what the guy was saying.

If it's means what I think it means, that's not all that different from what goes on right now in some schools. I remember in my elementary years that it was school policy to have teachers assign kids clean-up chores around the classroom before they could go home. They included wiping out the sinks, washing the chalkboard, picking up all the paper from the floor, etc. I did it something at the end of every school day from 1st through 5th grade.

I will say that in Japan (I believe) the kids help with the food preparation. They do that at my son's private preschool (which does all the way up to Jr. High) as well, and it's freaking awesome. I do think there is something to be said for the kids taking ownership in food preparation and building upkeep... but it should be across the board.

It's also NEVER going to happen in the current environment because such holistic pursuits aren't measurable on test scores (similar to the ridiculousness of most elementary kids getting a single 15 minute recess per day because they need the time for test prep instead... even though the kids will learn better if they're getting more physical activity).

listopencil
04-24-2013, 12:03 PM

The problem I have with it is summed up in this quote from the article:

"If they miss a lunch or they miss a meal they might not, in that class that afternoon, learn to add, they may not learn to diagram a sentence, but they'll learn a more important lesson."

King_Chief_Fan
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM

you are way too far left to suit me most times, but this time I agree with parts of your post

alpha_omega
04-24-2013, 12:11 PM

Wait.....I must have missed that story....the Boston bomber was on welfare? The one who wasn't a citizen?

There must already be a thread for this story...ill go find it and post there also.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but this got my attention.

mnchiefsguy
04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Good Lord, there are enough problems in schools today already. Let the kids eat lunch. It is not the children's fault they are in the situation they are in, and showing some kindness to them in their formative years just might prevent them from become the assholes of the future, and encourage them to be kind to others when they become successful in life.

bevischief
04-24-2013, 12:19 PM

Same here.

stevieray
04-24-2013, 12:23 PM

what's up, coward?

I see I'm still living in your head.

stevieray
04-24-2013, 12:24 PM

cleaning erasers outside? who didn't want to do that?

bevischief
04-24-2013, 12:24 PM
I will say that in Japan (I believe) the kids help with the food preparation. They do that at my son's private preschool (which does all the way up to Jr. High) as well, and it's freaking awesome. I do think there is something to be said for the kids taking ownership in food preparation and building upkeep... but it should be across the board.

It's also NEVER going to happen in the current environment because such holistic pursuits aren't measurable on test scores (similar to the ridiculousness of most elementary kids getting a single 15 minute recess per day because they need the time for test prep instead... even though the kids will learn better if they're getting more physical activity).

I did this as well in school. It was fun.

KChiefer
04-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Canterbury has a kindred spirit in St. Sen. Stacey Campfield of Tenn. That clown proposed that if a kid is failing in school that their family's welfare should be cut. No pressure....

This was covered on The Daily Show so it was no surprise when they revealed that the innovative Campfield publicly stated that he believes the scourge of AIDS was created when a man had sex with a monkey. When is his salary going to be cut for failing at thought?!?!?

stonedstooge
04-24-2013, 12:29 PM
What do you do with the kids who are on free and reduced lunches whose parents lie about their income to get their kids lunches paid for?

KChiefer
04-24-2013, 12:30 PM
What do you do with the kids who are on free and reduced lunches whose parents lie about their income to get their kids lunches paid for?

I dunno, maybe go after the parents and NOT THE CHILD!?!?!?!?

NewChief
04-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Believe it or not, but we actually have a problem with under reporting at our high school. That's largely because the kids are responsible for taking the form home and getting parents to fill it out, and the kids are often too embarassed to go on Free and Reduced by High School, so they lose the forms.

stonedstooge
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Believe it or not, but we actually have a problem with under reporting at our high school. That's largely because the kids are responsible for taking the form home and getting parents to fill it out, and the kids are often too embarassed to go on Free and Reduced by High School, so they lose the forms.

I was a school administrator for 12 years and saw both sides of the spectrum. A school board member came up 1 year in my annual check (you had to have a certain percentage of incomes verified on the free/reduced lunch forms). I told my bookkeeper about it and told her it would be a hell of a lot easier to just pick someone else, but I couldn't do that and sleep at night. Naturally I never got a positive vote from her when my contract came up for renewal after that.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Wooden paddle the students?

WhawhaWhat
04-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Send them to the mines.

Cannibal
04-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Shitswallower is right up there with him.

Prison Bitch
04-24-2013, 12:48 PM
More proof republicans hate women and children and puppy dogs and rainbows and flowers.

loochy
04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
I dunno, maybe go after the parents and NOT THE CHILD!?!?!?!?

but then you have idiots that whine about how that will just cost more than giving the free lunches (see the DRUG TEST WELFARE thread http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272409)

KChiefer
04-24-2013, 01:14 PM
but then you have idiots that whine about how that will just cost more than giving the free lunches (see the DRUG TEST WELFARE thread http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272409)

Well, it's a valid argument if the person wanting the testing is saying it's "in order to save money."

With the whole drug testing to receive welfare, I think it's a decent idea but I think there should be an option for people that fail to enroll in counseling with still receiving benefits. As others have pointed out, that if you just kick them off, there's a good chance they'll just become a burden to society it other ways such as turning to theft and winding up in the prison system where they'll still just cost tax payers.

Back to this topic though. If the parents lie, sure kick the kid off of free lunches. And if that kid is still not getting enough food, you get DCFS involved. If parents want to tie chores to a child's pudding, fine, so long as it never enters the realm of child abuse. The state does not and should not have the authority to do that to a minor though.

Radar Chief
04-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Work is punishment? I think I’m seeing the problem.
Do you consider your work to be punishment? I would assume not.
Until such a time as I can earn a living for sitting around and looking hawt, not gonna happen in this lifetime, I consider my work to be a reasonable compromise and I receive fair compensation for it.
Now, I assume you know I like you and will seek out your opinion when I’ve seen you post in a topic so I apologize in advance if this seems a bit harsh but if you’re sitting around watching kids live in homeless squalor then shame on you. Get them in contact with your county health department. They’re a “non-reporting agency” so even if they’re here illegally they by law cannot report it. They will, however, give them free health screenings and get them setup on WIC.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic

This is also beginning the process to get their parents on welfare and/or disability and into affordable housing.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/affordablehousing/

The majority of the reason people live homeless is because they’re either mentally disabled or just don’t know that there are programs out there to help them.
If you really want to help those children the below link will get you started and do more good for them than sending them home with a pity lunch.

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/Pages/default.aspx

NewChief
04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Work is punishment? I think I’m seeing the problem.
Do you consider your work to be punishment? I would assume not.
Until such a time as I can earn a living for sitting around and looking hawt, not gonna happen in this lifetime, I consider my work to be a reasonable compromise and I receive fair compensation for it.

I don't think a meal is "fair compensation" for a kid picking up after his classmates and being treated as a second class citizen. There's already stigma attached to the "poor kids" who eat on the school lunch program. Let's make them clean toilets, pick up the garbage left by their more affluent classmates, and in general serve the upper class.

If you want to make all kids do it, that's great. If you want to make only poor kids do it because their parents can't afford to pay for school lunches, then that's bullshit.

LiveSteam
04-24-2013, 02:19 PM
I pay for all my kids meals. My lazy brat could use a dose of this.
This fucking money grows on trees bullshit has to end.

listopencil
04-24-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't think a meal is "fair compensation" for a kid picking up after his classmates and being treated as a second class citizen. There's already stigma attached to the "poor kids" who eat on the school lunch program. Let's make them clean toilets, pick up the garbage left by their more affluent classmates, and in general serve the upper class.

If you want to make all kids do it, that's great. If you want to make only poor kids do it because their parents can't afford to pay for school lunches, then that's bullshit.

There are two different concepts floating around in this thread:

1) make poor school children do labor for the school in order to receive food while they attend, if they don't do the labor then they go hungry

2) make all school children do labor for the school in order to receive food while they attend, if they don't do the labor then they go hungry

Both of these are ridiculous.

NewChief
04-24-2013, 02:23 PM

1) make poor school children do labor for the school in order to receive food while they attend, if they don't do the labor then they go hungry

2) make all school children do labor for the school in order to receive food while they attend, if they don't do the labor then they go hungry

Actually, I agree with you. I do think kids taking part in the upkeep of the school is a good thing and leads to ownership and pride in the building and school, but I don't like the idea of "if you don't do this, you don't eat." That part is ludicrous.

listopencil
04-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Actually, I agree with you. I do think kids taking part in the upkeep of the school is a good thing and leads to ownership and pride in the building and school, but I don't like the idea of "if you don't do this, you don't eat." That part is ludicrous.

Yes, exactly.

loochy
04-24-2013, 02:28 PM

We are also looking past the fact that the kids will most assuredly do a terrible job of cleaning, requiring the hiring of someone to do the cleaning anyway and therefore negating the cost benefit.

mr. tegu
04-24-2013, 02:35 PM
We are also looking past the fact that the kids will most assuredly do a terrible job of cleaning, requiring the hiring of someone to do the cleaning anyway and therefore negating the cost benefit.

LMAO

NewChief
04-24-2013, 02:36 PM

I don't know what you're talking about. My own children do an impeccable job of cleaning their rooms. :#

LiveSteam
04-24-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. My own children do an impeccable job of cleaning their rooms. :#

I forget what color the carpet is in her room. Blue IIRC.
She gets As in school. So I let it slide,even though I shouldn't.

NewChief
04-24-2013, 02:49 PM
I forget what color the carpet is in her room. Blue IIRC.
She gets As in school. So I let it slide,even though I shouldn't.

My little ****er untucked then piled up all his covers on his bed this morning for some reason. When I asked him why, he said because he felt like it. When I told him that I'd have to spend time out of my day making his bed for him (he's somewhat disabled, so he has issues with manual dexterity and tasks of that nature) he laughed at me (he's also got some sensory/processing issues that have made him start doing this bullshit laughter when he doesn't know how to react to a situation).

I went through the ****ing roof. Processing issues or no, I don't think he'll be laughing at daddy having to pick up after him for a while, nor will his little brother. When I left today, they were conspiring to "do all daddy's chores, so he can go fishing."

mr. tegu
04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
My little ****er untucked then piled up all his covers on his bed this morning for some reason. When I asked him why, he said because he felt like it. When I told him that I'd have to spend time out of my day making his bed for him (he's somewhat disabled, so he has issues with manual dexterity and tasks of that nature) he laughed at me (he's also got some sensory/processing issues that have made him start doing this bullshit laughter when he doesn't know how to react to a situation).

I went through the ****ing roof. Processing issues or no, I don't think he'll be laughing at daddy having to pick up after him for a while, nor will his little brother. When I left today, they were conspiring to "do all daddy's chores, so he can go fishing."

Only one more person to teach that lesson to...the wife.

KChiefer
04-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Hall monitors are a great example of this(and are voluntary to my knowledge). But no school should say you have to be a hall monitor b/c you are poor. That's just fucked up.

LiveSteam
04-24-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm not for taking food away from children. But a lil work at a young age. Cant be all bad.
Kids today have know idea about what its like to have a paper rout, picking beans, de-tasseling ect. My kid thinks money grows on trees. No concept at all what i do or how hard I work to give her the things she wants. Its just a different world now.

KChiefer
04-24-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm not for taking food away from children. But a lil work at a young age. Cant be all bad.

But that's why you distribute that work equally among ALL the kids and/or make that work voluntary which may come with rewards other than not hearing yourself digest your stomach lining.

Radar Chief
04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Let's make them clean toilets, pick up the garbage left by their more affluent classmates, and in general serve the upper class.

So you’re against teaching them what they’ll have to live with for the rest of their lives? :Poke:

LiveSteam
04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
But that's why you distribute that work equally among ALL the kids and/or make that work voluntary which may come with rewards other than not hearing yourself digest your stomach lining.

I'm ok with that.

KChiefer
04-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm ok with that.

:toast:

gblowfish
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM

And if they DO a good job, the Janitor gets laid off. Then HIS kids have to clean the school or go hungry.

loochy
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
And if they DO a good job, the Janitor gets laid off. Then HIS kids have to clean the school or go hungry.

its a vicious cycle

damn kids come in here and take our jobs

DEY TOOK R JOBZ

theelusiveeightrop
04-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Change this to

"I think it would be a good idea if perhaps we had the kids parents work for their lunches:

and I'll give it some thought.

Good idea.

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2013, 10:54 PM

Yep. That's what CPS is for. If you can't feed your kids, you probably shouldn't have any.

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2013, 11:25 PM
Kids today have know idea about what its like to have a paper rout, picking beans, de-tasseling ect. My kid thinks money grows on trees. No concept at all what i do or how hard I work to give her the things she wants. Its just a different world now.Your statement is ridiculous. Most kids around here have de-tasseled at some point in time. It's almost a rite of passage and it pays really well.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Your statement is ridiculous. Most kids around here have de-tasseled at some point in time. It's almost a rite of passage and it pays really well.

There's even a well known young liberal (a liberal no less) on this board who detassled for seven summers as well had a paper route in grade school.

Kids these days! Liberals these days! Damn it all to hell!

LiveSteam
04-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Your statement is ridiculous. Most kids around here have de-tasseled at some point in time. It's almost a rite of passage and it pays really well.

Where is here? My kid needs a splash of reality on where money & how you come by it is achieved

La literatura
04-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Where is here? My kid needs a splash of reality on where money & how you come by it is achieved

How old is kid?

LiveSteam
04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
How old is kid?

11 at the end of the month. & no appreciation for money. ZERO!

I'm thinking yard work & Skatedaze are gonna go hand in hand this summer.

ForeverChiefs58
04-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Maybe a program where the parents of the kids who can't afford lunch can volunteer to help the teacher out in the classroom for lunch credits?

A child shouldn't have to be starving though for any reason.

La literatura
04-24-2013, 11:55 PM
11 at the end of the month. & no appreciation for money. ZERO!

I'm thinking yard work & Skatedaze are gonna go hand in hand this summer.

One of the great things about money is that not only can it get you stuff, but it can also make more money. A dollar today can be put into work and end up being two dollars tomorrow. I would try to replicate that lesson on a small scale.

Suppose that for every dollar he earns on yard work, see if he would save a simple dime from it. Make it mandatory at first. Then say you will invest that dime, with a 50% return on investment per week. After a week, he would have $.15. Then after another week, and another dime, he would have $.38.

Do this for 6 weeks. He might appreciate the notable difference between $.60 and his "investments" and take that lesson to heart.

cosmo20002
04-25-2013, 12:55 AM
I pay for all my kids meals. My lazy brat could use a dose of this.
This ****ing money grows on trees bullshit has to end.

:bravo: Father of the Year

Pitt Gorilla
04-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Where is here? My kid needs a splash of reality on where money & how you come by it is achievedIowa.

Taco John
04-25-2013, 02:32 AM
One of the great things about money is that not only can it get you stuff, but it can also make more money. A dollar today can be put into work and end up being two dollars tomorrow. I would try to replicate that lesson on a small scale.

Suppose that for every dollar he earns on yard work, see if he would save a simple dime from it. Make it mandatory at first. Then say you will invest that dime, with a 50% return on investment per week. After a week, he would have $.15. Then after another week, and another dime, he would have $.38.

Do this for 6 weeks. He might appreciate the notable difference between $.60 and his "investments" and take that lesson to heart.

I've never met anybody who is a parent and has time or energy for this kind of system.

R8RFAN
04-25-2013, 05:31 AM

If you can't afford to feed them,don't have them

NewChief
04-25-2013, 06:19 AM

No shit. But I don't support singling out a five or six year old for the sins of the parents.

La literatura
04-25-2013, 06:40 AM
I've never met anybody who is a parent and has time or energy for this kind of system.

I'm not sure why that would be time consuming or take much energy for a parent. Just to be clear, the parent is not actually investing the dime into anything. Just pretending to.

NewChief
04-25-2013, 06:41 AM
We need some Jonathan Swift up in here.

InChiefsHell
04-25-2013, 06:45 AM

My dad used to teach us lessons in debt management. The first guitar amp I bought was second hand for like 200.00 or something. He fronted me the cash, then wrote up the terms for the loan, only charging me 10% interest as I recall. Back in the 80's this was not a bad rate. We worked out the payment plan, and he explained to me that if I got it done sooner (made more than the minimum payments) it would cost me much less. But the ultimate lesson was, it's better to just save the money and buy things you want in cash...not make payments.

My folks also gave us an allowance. We did a LOT of chores around the house for 5 bucks a week, but we learned the value of a dollar and that you have to work for stuff.

La literatura
04-25-2013, 06:51 AM
My dad used to teach us lessons in debt management. The first guitar amp I bought was second hand for like 200.00 or something. He fronted me the cash, then wrote up the terms for the loan, only charging me 10% interest as I recall. Back in the 80's this was not a bad rate. We worked out the payment plan, and he explained to me that if I got it done sooner (made more than the minimum payments) it would cost me much less. But the ultimate lesson was, it's better to just save the money and buy things you want in cash...not make payments.

My folks also gave us an allowance. We did a LOT of chores around the house for 5 bucks a week, but we learned the value of a dollar and that you have to work for stuff.

My dad used to let me borrow from him, but he charged interest rates around 30%, and if I missed a payment, he would send his cousin Jack Bob to rough me up. One time I paid early using my birthday money. But dad said there was a hidden penalty to early payoffs, and I had to forfeit over my Christmas gift that year.

R8RFAN
04-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Liberals are all about charity when they are using other peoples money

Radar Chief
04-25-2013, 08:02 AM
No shit. But I don't support singling out a five or six year old for the sins of the parents.

At one time such a thing was called neglect, deemed a type of abuse, and the law got involved.

WhawhaWhat
04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Liberals are all about charity when they are using other peoples money

Republicans are against charity until it's them that needs it. Once they get it, they are against it again.

jjjayb
04-26-2013, 11:26 AM

They need to learn that nothing comes free. Rather they learn it at a young age than have them grow up with entitlement issues like so many from your generation.

Fairplay
04-26-2013, 12:32 PM
My dad used to let me borrow from him, but he charged interest rates around 30%, and if I missed a payment, he would send his cousin Jack Bob to rough me up. One time I paid early using my birthday money. But dad said there was a hidden penalty to early payoffs, and I had to forfeit over my Christmas gift that year.

Your dad is awesome.

Lightrise
04-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Nope, there is no end to the stupidity. Governor Jindal got it so right when he coined the party as the Stupid party. I have never seen such a dysfunctional segment of society in my entire life as today's republicans.

R8RFAN
04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/524819_297533380379278_26956831_n.jpg

mikey23545
04-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Republicans are against charity until it's them that needs it. Once they get it, they are against it again.

Nah, Republicans are the people that pay the taxes that make welfare possible.

BigRedChief
04-26-2013, 04:49 PM
They need to learn that nothing comes free. Rather they learn it at a young age than have them grow up with entitlement issues like so many from your generation.A first grader doesn't need a lesson in entitlement or else the government says you need to go hungry. Learn your lesson little one.

Are you guys listening or reading your own posts? Since when do we as a society punish the children for the poor decisions of the parents? Your parents made poor decisions in life. Talk to them about your hunger. Is that really the America you want?

stevieray
04-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Since when do we as a society punish the children for the poor decisions of the parents? Your parents made poor decisions in life.

40 million times since 1973

loochy
04-26-2013, 04:56 PM
40 million times since 1973

BAZINGA!

NewChief
04-26-2013, 08:24 PM

So much bullshit.

ThatRaceCardGuy
04-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Republicans are so fucking stupid.

Fairplay
04-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Republicans are so ****ing stupid.

You have a point, they should take the free handouts and feed off
the government like everyone else.

Aries Walker
04-27-2013, 07:41 PM
I have no problem having kids doing chores around the school - cleaning off the tables, putting things away, little things like they (should) have to do at home. I have a problem with kids doing the work of janitors or groundskeepers, especially if it entails potential danger, like using chemical cleaners or (dear God) using a lawn mower. I have a huge problem with little children being denied their lunch, for any reason.

Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

Brock
04-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Agreed. Abort them.

R8RFAN
04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Agreed. Abort them.

Pro Choice before Conception, Pro Life after conception

Brock
04-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Pro Choice before Conception, Pro Life after conception

If ya can't afford em abort em

R8RFAN
04-27-2013, 09:38 PM
If ya can't afford em abort em

Nope..Buy a condom

Brock
04-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Nope..Buy a condom

Yep...when in doubt, hoover em out

InChiefsHell
04-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Yep...when in doubt, hoover em out

You are one sick puppy...

Comrade Crapski
04-29-2013, 09:30 AM
How about we make moms and baby daddy work, first? Then maybe all this white trash and Holders People™ can teach their brood of bastards a few life skills.

R8RFAN
04-29-2013, 09:48 AM
How about we make moms and baby daddy work, first? Then maybe all this white trash and Holders People™ can teach their brood of bastards a few life skills.

You will destroy those childrens character if you force their parents to work... WTF is wrong with you man?

Comrade Crapski
04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
You will destroy those childrens character if you force their parents to work... WTF is wrong with you man?

And who will vote for Obamugabe?

http://www.iaza.com/work/130501C/iaza13528176215400.jpg

R8RFAN
04-30-2013, 04:56 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/942380_10152206778765288_1352127789_n.jpg

Backwards Masking
05-02-2013, 07:51 AM
if his policy were "parents that can't afford to buy their kids lunch have to come to school and wipe down chairs and chalkboards to compensate the taxpayers" everyone would applaud him

Comrade Crapski
05-02-2013, 09:17 AM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/942380_10152206778765288_1352127789_n.jpg

ROFL

That was great.

aturnis
05-02-2013, 11:06 PM

Somebody's gotta pay... Maybe we can just give them lunches on loan, and if the parents don't pay up, just give the kids a good beating. Then, if that don't work, we'll bust a kneecap. Yeah....

Brock
05-02-2013, 11:09 PM
You are one sick puppy...

You support child molesters.

aturnis
05-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Nope..Buy a condom

What kind of sick **** are you? The lord frowns upon contraceptives!

Also love, "why should I pay fo' yo' birf control?". Would you rather pay to feed and clothe the child for 18 years?

R8RFAN
05-03-2013, 07:17 AM
What kind of sick **** are you? The lord frowns upon contraceptives!

Also love, "why should I pay fo' yo' birf control?". Would you rather pay to feed and clothe the child for 18 years?

I would much rather pay for a kid that was saved from abortion be clothed and fed than a current mouth breathing liberal.

Loneiguana
05-03-2013, 07:33 AM

I'll see you that, and raise you this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s80uc4ws0Gc/UQB7RLFvADI/AAAAAAAAPCY/g-ADQmI4vpU/s1600/Republicans-love-fetuses.jpg