PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Bill Maher slams Boston police

petegz28
04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Bill Maher called Boston police officers “unprofessional” on Friday for shooting at the boat where Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was hiding even though it turned out he was unarmed.

“I agree that we shouldn’t have given the kid his Miranda rights because he probably had information. We wanted to take him alive. We all agree with that.… there could’ve been bombs out there, there could’ve been an accomplice. So we wanted to take him alive. If you agree with that then what the cops did there was unprofessional. That’s called contagious fire,” Maher said on HBO’s “Real Time.”

According to reports, no gun was found inside the boat after Tsarnaev was captured, although the Boston Police commissioner had earlier said that cops had exchanged fire with the suspect.

Maher also said that America is becoming a “police state.”

“I want to talk about the police, who I am a supporter of… Look at this, I mean if this is what you have – why don’t you invade a country? …. I mean go up to Canada – take their oil… This country is becoming a police state. And it is very troubling to me,” Maher said, while showing pictures of police officers patrolling the city and searching for Tsarnaev.

Tsarnaev, 19, and his older brother Tamerlan, 26, are accused of being behind the bombings. Tamerlan was killed last week during a police pursuit of the two brothers.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/bill-maher-boston-police-90700.html#ixzz2RoKmwTrH

petegz28
04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Rarely do I agree with Maher but even he could see the obvious BS that went on in Boston. This isn't about R v. D, but about our country as a whole.

LiveSteam
04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Rarely do I agree with Maher but even he could see the obvious BS that went on in Boston. This isn't about R v. D, but about our country as a whole.

Yup. But Bostonian's seemed for the most part to be ok with Gestapo house to house removal & search process. I dnt see that going over well if it had happened in the heartland.

Prison Bitch
04-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Gonna comment but first what is Literatura's quote refer to?

LiveSteam
04-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Gonna comment but first what is Literatura's quote refer to?

It was a reference to his law school.
I took a jab at it & that was his response

jspchief
04-28-2013, 11:48 PM
I thought he had a self inflicted gunshot wound in his neck?

Anyong Bluth
04-29-2013, 12:33 AM
I thought he had a self inflicted gunshot wound in his neck?

Ya, they definitely talked about rushing him to the hospital due to a self-inflicted gunshot. The way it was described is the wound did damage to his neck, mouth and tongue - which was why he was writing his responses as he was unable to talk.

Now, they could have been wrong in the reporting, but this seems contradictory to all reports of their desire to take them alive so they could question the brothers. Plus, if the guy was alive and unarmed in the boat, then what caused them to open fire on the boat if he didn't start shooting or at least they heard an initial shot of him try to shoot himself- esp. when they already had him disoriented and likely unable to hear from the flash bang grenade?

Something isn't adding up...?

Earthling
04-29-2013, 02:22 AM
The people directly affected by this thronged the streets and cheered the police afterwards. Its not like this kind of police action is at all common in our country, and this was certainly an extraordinary event. The quick resolution and capture probably saved lives. I just can't fault the police here.

stonedstooge
04-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Oh the stories continually change. Guess that happens when you have the "authorities" giving out the information. I'm sure we will never know the truth.

theelusiveeightrop
04-29-2013, 06:32 AM
If the outpouring of resources had been used beforehand to keep radicals from acting instead of the gigantic search and capture response, we might be on to something.

LiveSteam
04-29-2013, 07:25 AM
The people directly affected by this thronged the streets and cheered the police afterwards. Its not like this kind of police action is at all common in our country, and this was certainly an extraordinary event. The quick resolution and capture probably saved lives. I just can't fault the police here.

Of course

BucEyedPea
04-29-2013, 08:34 AM

You mean a state already full of enraptured lovers of Big Brother govt?
It's one of the most leftist states in the nation.

Prison Bitch
04-29-2013, 08:53 AM
It was perfect for Bostonians: their beloved cops (who they treat as deities) got to "capture" the killer terrorist by heroically shooting him up. Had the homeowner blazed him while defending himself from a B&E, that would've terrified and depressed the libs up there. Cops have guns of course - but that doesn't mean homeowners should.

Comrade Crapski
04-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Yup. But Bostonian's seemed for the most part to be ok with Gestapo house to house removal & search process.

What do you expect from Massholes? They kept Kennedy and Barney Frank in power for 30+ years.

Those two pieces of obama did more damage to our country than muslims can only dream about accomplishing.

Amnorix
04-29-2013, 09:25 AM
So if this had all gone down in Dallas or St. Louis or Atlanta what do you think happens? All the citizens go out with their handguns and shotguns and join the cops in turning over every leaf of their neighborhood?

They stick scoped rifles out of their 2nd floor windows to shoot at the Tsarnaev brothers while they are involved in a gunfight with the cops?

I find it absolutely amazing that the right wing lunatic fringe has turned the events of that week into a way to bash the shit out of Boston and Massachusetts. Un-fucking-believable. You don't even seem to give a damn about the victims or the fact that the perps were throwing homemade bombs around. Completely ridiculous.

Garcia Bronco
04-29-2013, 09:34 AM
So if this had all gone down in Dallas or St. Louis or Atlanta what do you think happens? All the citizens go out with their handguns and shotguns and join the cops in turning over every leaf of their neighborhood?

They stick scoped rifles out of their 2nd floor windows to shoot at the Tsarnaev brothers while they are involved in a gunfight with the cops?

I find it absolutely amazing that the right wing lunatic fringe has turned the events of that week into a way to bash the shit out of Boston and Massachusetts. Un-****ing-believable. You don't even seem to give a damn about the victims or the fact that the perps were throwing homemade bombs around. Completely ridiculous.

I don't get it either. What are the police and the citizens supposed to do? All things considered and minus the injured police and victims I think this worked out well.

Amnorix
04-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I don't get it either. What are the police and the citizens supposed to do? All things considered and minus the injured police and victims I think this worked out well.

Seriously. Frankly it seems to me that the authorities and citizens of Boston etc. did a pretty darn good job post-bombing. The bombing was Monday and the perps were dead or caught by Friday evening. Instead, people want to focus on a stay-in-place order that lasted all of 10 or so hours. :spock:

Because, you know, if the surviving brother took a hostage or managed another carjacking, that clearly would've been better than telling everyone to sit tight for a few hours while they tried to find the bastard in the area that he was very much believed to be in.

Garcia Bronco
04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Seriously. Frankly it seems to me that the authorities and citizens of Boston etc. did a pretty darn good job post-bombing. The bombing was Monday and the perps were dead or caught by Friday evening. Instead, people want to focus on a stay-in-place order that lasted all of 10 or so hours. :spock:

Because, you know, if the surviving brother took a hostage or managed another carjacking, that clearly would've been better than telling everyone to sit tight for a few hours while they tried to find the bastard in the area that he was very much believed to be in.

Exactly, I think we're so desensitized from watching violent TV/Movies that people don't understand the seriousness of what was going on.

Amnorix
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Exactly, I think we're so desensitized from watching violent TV/Movies that people don't understand the seriousness of what was going on.

Actually, if the authorities had just stayed home and waited a few more hours, internet supersleuths on Reddit and such would've been able to solve the entire case and used Google Maps to tell them exactly where the perps were. If this whole thing were happening in a real state, like Texas, then the well-armed citizenry could've taken that information and gone and blown those bastards away. No need for a trial or lengthy appeals from a death penalty or anything of that stuff.

Fucking cops and this goddamn police state...

Garcia Bronco
04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Actually, if the authorities had just stayed home and waited a few more hours, internet supersleuths on Reddit and such would've been able to solve the entire case and used Google Maps to tell them exactly where the perps were. If this whole thing were happening in a real state, like Texas, then the well-armed citizenry could've taken that information and gone and blown those bastards away. No need for a trial or lengthy appeals from a death penalty or anything of that stuff.

****ing cops and this goddamn police state...

LOL

jjjayb
04-29-2013, 11:06 AM

****ing cops and this goddamn police state...

Funny, seing it wasn't the police who found him after locking down the city and doing door to door searches. It was a citizen. The lockdown and searches accomplished nothing.

Pawnmower
04-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Funny, seing it wasn't the police who found him after locking down the city and doing door to door searches. It was a citizen. The lockdown and searches accomplished nothing.

Except forcing the terrorist p o s to hide in a boat?

BucEyedPea
04-29-2013, 11:40 AM

Which may have happened with a routine police hunt too. Since the public was alerted and the public sent in photos and video surveillance, all those extra eyes could have spotted him too. This indicates private citizen cooperation which I think LE would have had should they need to search a home. Also, he and his brother made a lot of amateurish mistakes that got them caught. If anything, the general whereabouts was known. So why not narrow any lockdown more at the very least?

I know it all sounds like hindsight, but I just think our officials should consider ways that can still catch the guy without a massive violation of rights. Is that too much to ask in order to maintain a free society? This just conditions people to easily give up their rights out of fear.

InChiefsHell
04-29-2013, 11:57 AM
If it had been me out there, I can honestly say I'd have been on a self-imposed lockdown, guns loaded and at the ready. Posted at the highest window in the house and probably not moving until it was over...I honestly don't know how I'd feel with the cops doing what they did, but it's a new situation and quite unique. Easy to talk about in hindsight.

BucEyedPea
04-29-2013, 12:07 PM
If it had been me out there, I can honestly say I'd have been on a self-imposed lockdown, guns loaded and at the ready. Posted at the highest window in the house and probably not moving until it was over...I honestly don't know how I'd feel with the cops doing what they did, but it's a new situation and quite unique. Easy to talk about in hindsight.
It needs to be talked about in hindsight...if we're to be on guard about our liberties.

I would have consented to cops searching my home but I woulda' resented the frisking several times, arms-up and telling a civilian to not look out the window at gunpoint. Just tell them it's not safe...instead of threatening them with a gun. So unnecessary.

FishingRod
04-29-2013, 12:14 PM
There are some things that I’m not thrilled about regarding some of the searches and the police throwing lead into a boat that they were “pretty sure” had the right guy in it. Now having said, that these guys were murdering scumbags that killed innocent civilians as well as murdering a policeman. It is nothing short of a miracle brother number 2 was taken alive.

Mr. Maher while a cleaver and sometimes quite humorous man, has really gotten very full of himself and it must take a mighty big door for him to squeeze that big head of his through when he gets home at night. His likability has waned considerably in my book the last few years.

jjjayb
04-29-2013, 01:28 PM

Outside of their perimeter.

Loneiguana
04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't understand people who are worried America is becoming a police state, but than say things like this : “I agree that we shouldn’t have given the kid his Miranda rights because he probably had information"

Miranda rights don't exist only when you are told them. We always have them. Taking away Miranda rights is a step towards a police state.

Loneiguana
04-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Weak Constitution
Following the Boston bombing, the freedom lovers at Fox jettison Constitutional amendments like Han Solo dumping his cargo at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-24-2013/weak-constitution

cosmo20002
04-29-2013, 03:13 PM
It needs to be talked about in hindsight...if we're to be on guard about our liberties.

I would have consented to cops searching my home but I woulda' resented the frisking several times, arms-up and telling a civilian to not look out the window at gunpoint. Just tell them it's not safe...instead of threatening them with a gun. So unnecessary.

Way to fight the power, BEP!

blaise
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't understand people who are worried America is becoming a police state, but than say things like this : “I agree that we shouldn’t have given the kid his Miranda rights because he probably had information"

Miranda rights don't exist only when you are told them. We always have them. Taking away Miranda rights is a step towards a police state.

They didn't take away his Miranda rights if they don't use what he told them in court against him, did they?

Chiefnj2
04-29-2013, 03:47 PM

You don't have to talk.

Loneiguana
04-30-2013, 06:37 AM
They didn't take away his Miranda rights if they don't use what he told them in court against him, did they?

Yes, whatever information he said before the rights are spoken are not used in court. But as an American citizen he still has them, and by not saying them you don't take them away. And there should be no notion that he should be stripped of them.

Loneiguana
04-30-2013, 06:39 AM
You don't have to talk.

So, do you want constitutional protections against a police state to be stripped from American Citizens?

Amnorix
04-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Yes, whatever information he said before the rights are spoken are not used in court. But as an American citizen he still has them, and by not saying them you don't take them away. And there should be no notion that he should be stripped of them.

If memory serves, Miranda rights are a prophylactic in nature, and designed to ensure that actual Constitutional rights are not violated. Failure to give the Miranda warning does not mean anyone's Constitutional rights have been violated, but it does mean that statements made by the suspect may not be used against him because he may have been ignorant of his Constitutional rights.

Don't see how an American citizen can be stripped of his Constitutional rights, and I think some of the bozos in Congress who were saying the guy should be tried as an enemy combatant are out of their minds.

blaise
04-30-2013, 08:40 AM

Doesn't seem to me he was stripped of anything, really. Not unless they end up allowing his statements in court.

Frazod
04-30-2013, 09:02 AM
So, do you want constitutional protections against a police state to be stripped from American Citizens?

It's because of pussies like you that these vermin thrive here. Should our troops read Miranda rights to the Taliban they shoot in Afghanistan? If a North Korean spy had been caught bombing American targets, would you worry about his rights?

THESE PEOPLE ARE OUR ENEMIES, YOU IDIOT. CITIZENSHIP WAS NOTHING MORE THAN COVER. FUCK THEIR RIGHTS.

Baby Lee
04-30-2013, 10:57 AM

I find it absolutely amazing that the right wing lunatic fringe has turned the events of that week into a way to bash the shit out of Boston and Massachusetts. Un-fucking-believable. You don't even seem to give a damn about the victims or the fact that the perps were throwing homemade bombs around. Completely ridiculous.

Amno called Bill Maher and his panel the right wing lunatic fringe.

Congrats my friend, you have become a DC zombie. You're Merle from TWD, munching on roadkill and leaping menacingly at his weeping brother.

BTW, I think Maher had it pretty much wrong on this one.

BTBTW - just funnin' you bud. It just struck amusing how little anyone thinks about the big picture when extremist labels are thrown around..

Ron Paul: 'I was just talking to this gay gentleman who said . . .'

Rabble: "COMMIE!!!OMGWTFSmurfAnal!!!!"

Amnorix
04-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Amno called Bill Maher and his panel the right wing lunatic fringe.

Congrats my friend, you have become a DC zombie. You're Merle from TWD, munching on roadkill and leaping menacingly at his weeping brother.

BTW, I think Maher had it pretty much wrong on this one.

BTBTW - just funnin' you bud. It just struck amusing how little anyone thinks about the big picture when extremist labels are thrown around..

Ron Paul: 'I was just talking to this gay gentleman who said . . .'

Rabble: "COMMIE!!!OMGWTFSmurfAnal!!!!"

For the record, I'm commenting on the folks on here, not Maher, whose show I've never watched in my life.

Mostly I'm just trying to defend Boston because I really doubt that things would have been THAT much different in any big city in the "heartland".

Pawnmower
04-30-2013, 11:05 AM

You clearly have no idea what the Miranda warning is, or how it is used.

Radar Chief
04-30-2013, 11:19 AM
BTBTW - just funnin' you bud.

"heartland".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BEULVyg1O_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigChiefTablet
04-30-2013, 11:25 AM

I actually kinda got a chuckle out of them saying that they didn't read him his Miranda rights. I mean, doesn't he fucking know them? He could sit there and demand a lawyer and say absolutely nothing else until they gave him one. Just because they didn't read them to him doesn't mean they go away. And by not reading them to him they just make everything he says inadmissible in court.

ChiefaRoo
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
For the record, I'm commenting on the folks on here, not Maher, whose show I've never watched in my life.

Mostly I'm just trying to defend Boston because I really doubt that things would have been THAT much different in any big city in the "heartland".

I don't think too many people in this part of Texas would willingly allow cops to search their home. No way, forget it. That's one of the considerable cultural differences between Mass. and TX. Alex Jones lives like five miles from my house and thinks the movie Red is real and the helicopters are a coming.

I tend to agree with Maher as well. If the reports of the kid having the gun are false then all those gunshots that are on tape make no sense. Why would they shoot all those rounds at the boat when he's just laying there? I will tell you why. Payback. Very understandable and very human but also unprofessional.

Baby Lee
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM

Perhaps butthurt will soothe when one realizes that 'given him' can me 'recite to' instead of 'bestow upon.'

Loneiguana
04-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Doesn't seem to me he was stripped of anything, really. Not unless they end up allowing his statements in court.

“I agree that we shouldn’t have given the kid his Miranda rights because he probably had information."

-- that was the quote I responding too. Also, notice Frazod' response.

Loneiguana
04-30-2013, 12:48 PM
It's because of pussies like you that these vermin thrive here. Should our troops read Miranda rights to the Taliban they shoot in Afghanistan? If a North Korean spy had been caught bombing American targets, would you worry about his rights?

THESE PEOPLE ARE OUR ENEMIES, YOU IDIOT. CITIZENSHIP WAS NOTHING MORE THAN COVER. **** THEIR RIGHTS.

Your attitude represents all that is wrong with America and this attitude of yours does more to push this nation towards a police state than any action taken by the government.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2013, 12:51 PM
The way to solve this problem of enemy combatant vs criminal-with-Miranda rights is to officially declare war, which changes things legally. Yes, I realize it's a group that spans nationalities but there's nothing that says it has to be a country. Then such people would be taken as pows who could be interrogated. This no-where land designation of enemy combatant would have to go though. This would resolve the matter. Legally being in a state of war changes everything. Once over, it gets lifted and we return to normal.

As always, not following the Constitution just creates more arbitraries and problems.

Loneiguana
04-30-2013, 12:51 PM
You clearly have no idea what the Miranda warning is, or how it is used.

I know there shouldn't be any talk about whether or not an American citizen should be read their Miranda rights.

Comrade Crapski
04-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Your attitude represents all that is wrong with America and this attitude of yours does more to push this nation towards a police state than any action taken by the government.

ROFL

That ships already sailed, dope.

Frazod
04-30-2013, 07:06 PM

You mean being annoyed that liberal turds roll out the welcome mat for enemy agents? Yeah, how horrible of me. Cunt. 4321

blaise
04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
“I agree that we shouldn’t have given the kid his Miranda rights because he probably had information."

-- that was the quote I responding too. Also, notice Frazod' response.

Either way the fact that they didn't Mirandize him doesn't mean much to me. They asked him questions. He answered. So what?

Loneiguana
05-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Either way the fact that they didn't Mirandize him doesn't mean much to me. They asked him questions. He answered. So what?

It was more of a comment that I don't think someone can worry about a Police state while, in the same article, say that quote. Those two notions are completely different ideals.

Or to put it another way, I don't think this sentence makes sense: "I am worried about a police state and I don't think an American Citizen should be given his Miranda Rights."

Loneiguana
05-01-2013, 07:18 AM
You mean being annoyed that liberal turds roll out the welcome mat for enemy agents? Yeah, how horrible of me. ****. 4321

I know right, we should totally take away rights of American Citizens based on the crimes they committed within the U.S.

Let's hold him indefinitely and torture him for information. Let's drone strike his family living here in America. Let's wire tap all Mosques. Let's take away the right of trial.

The rest of the world will know how seriously we take attacks on our freedom when we take freedom away from American Citizens. I bet we won't get attacked again then.

Dayze
05-01-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm probably wrong, but, just because the cops mirandize you, doesn't mean anything you've said up to that point can't be used etc. I think people think that everything after you're mirandized can be used.

Frazod
05-01-2013, 10:16 AM
I know right, we should totally take away rights of American Citizens based on the crimes they committed within the U.S.

Let's hold him indefinitely and torture him for information. Let's drone strike his family living here in America. Let's wire tap all Mosques. Let's take away the right of trial.

The rest of the world will know how seriously we take attacks on our freedom when we take freedom away from American Citizens. I bet we won't get attacked again then.

So, that oath he took when they swore him in, does that include blowing up other American citizens as part of his civic responsibilities? No?

Perhaps if he didn't take his part of this bargain seriously, the United States shouldn't, either.

Idiot.

Inmem58
05-01-2013, 10:23 AM
@Boston_Police: Three additional suspects taken into custody in Marathon bombing case. Details to follow.

InChiefsHell
05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
@Boston_Police: Three additional suspects taken into custody in Marathon bombing case. Details to follow.

wow. This is gonna get crazy.

Baby Lee
05-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Are you under the impression that Miranda is the equivalent of Abracadabra?

Individuals HAVE rights, precedent set in the Miranda case establishes that the mere existence of those rights isn't always enough. If investigators and prosecutors want to use information a defendant provides against his/her own interest in a custodial/investigatory setting in a subsequent trial against that same individual, the individual need to be ADVISED what his/her rights are, rights that have existed from birth, but the individual may not be aware of.

Note that there's a little phrase 'want to use,' and it's qualified by 'at trial against the same individual.' If the pros/invest think they already have enough against this individual, but he may still have useful information that may lead to others with ill intent, Miranda is irrelevant. They won't get to use anything gleaned in a custodial setting against THAT GUY, but that doesn't mean they can't make the calculation that they can still get useful intel.

I mean, you also understand that [save some clearly enumerated exceptions, spouse, clergy, but those must be asserted, ie can be waived actively or passively] there is no right against incriminating others.

Iowanian
05-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Maher doesn't realize it but he's trying to become a republican.

Baby Lee
05-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Maher doesn't realize it but he's trying to become a republican.

This isn't a right left thing, but it amused me greatly last week when he tried to elicit from Jimmy Kimmel a specific and obvious assessment of why people hate Gwyneth Paltrow. I knew right away what he was fishing for, and Jimmy didn't bit, so he came back with his full statement and Jimmy still shrugged it off. It was an amusing bit of interviewing prowess.

Basically it was the sense that she suggests that everyone should be doing rich people stuff because it's sooooo easy. ie, 'Tuesday afternoons are perfect for brioche and fresh squeezed organic mangoes on the Lanai.'

Comrade Crapski
05-01-2013, 02:17 PM
http://www.iaza.com/work/130502C/iaza17673938086500.jpg

Pawnmower
05-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I know there shouldn't be any talk about whether or not an American citizen should be read their Miranda rights.

that is because you dont have a clue as to what you are talking about...he still HAS the rights...they won't be able to use things he said before he was mirandized in court...

you are a fucking moron

Loneiguana
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
that is because you dont have a clue as to what you are talking about...he still HAS the rights...they won't be able to use things he said before he was mirandized in court...

you are a ****ing moron

Yes, I already made post where I said exactly this.

The question has been over people who have said, as did Maher, that we should have never have mirandized him. I've said now a few times that is a stupid statement because not saying his rights does not infer he doesn't have them, among other reasons.

So, um, thanks for repeating what has already been said.