PDA

View Full Version : Elections Congrats Mark Sanford!

Chocolate Hog
05-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Dems spent 5 mil against this guy and still got their asses kicked.

It's too bad he cheated on his wife he would have been a serious presidential contender.

Baby Lee
05-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Poor Stephen.

donkhater
05-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Meh.

Democrats will criticize and bemoan the dumb, redneck people who live in that state as the reason their candidate lost, but just think if this scenario played out in the opposite direction in a district like San Francisco. Do you think a Republican, regradless of how much he or she spends, could win against any Democrat even if they did the same things Sanford did? No.

I'm not a fan of the guy at all, but there are many districts that in the this country that are just going to fall into the D or R catagory regardless.

Hoover
05-08-2013, 06:55 AM
He already was a serious presidential contender. His affair put an end to a potential candidacy before he could ever give it much thoughts. The guy is a unique politician. I never doubted his ability to win that seat, and he's going to hold it for as long as he wants.

As for his future, I don't know. I doubt he can reemerge as a national candidate.

Amnorix
05-08-2013, 08:00 AM
He already was a serious presidential contender. His affair put an end to a potential candidacy before he could ever give it much thoughts. The guy is a unique politician. I never doubted his ability to win that seat, and he's going to hold it for as long as he wants.

As for his future, I don't know. I doubt he can reemerge as a national candidate.

If his own party can forgive him, so to speak, and nominate him, it's far more likely that the middle and left will not hold that against him. That doesn't mean he wins, of course, but just that the middle and left tend to care less about these moral transgressions if the person is contrite about it etc.

EDIT: actually, wait, this was the guy who disappeared for several days. Yeah, think he might be dead in terms of electability as POTUS. He didn't "just" cheat, he showed a pretty massive failure of judgment.

Prison Bitch
05-08-2013, 08:32 AM
I find it hard to imagine anyone from South Carolina being nationally viable for Pres

jjjayb
05-08-2013, 08:38 AM
I find it hard to imagine anyone from South Carolina being nationally viable for Pres

That would be like someone from Arkansas being president. No way!

Prison Bitch
05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Yeah, that's pretty typical isn't it?

BucEyedPea
05-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Dems spent 5 mil against this guy and still got their asses kicked.

It's too bad he cheated on his wife he would have been a serious presidential contender.

Yeah. I liked that he was mum on going into Iraq. I suspect he was not really pro....and I liked that about him.

loochy
05-08-2013, 08:59 AM
That would be like someone from Arkansas being president. No way!

or texus

fan4ever
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Are republicans becoming like democrats? Voting for their nominee no matter what kind of filthy past they have? And the moral decay continues...say it isn't so.

WhawhaWhat
05-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Are republicans becoming like democrats? Voting for their nominee no matter what kind of filthy past they have? And the moral decay continues...say it isn't so.

At least the lobbyists will know how to sway his vote. Hookers from Argentina.

Frazod
05-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Do you really think anybody can rise to political power in this country and not be morally bankrupt?

fan4ever
05-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Do you really think anybody can rise to political power in this country and not be morally bankrupt?

Well when we elect those already exposed as such, aren't we really giving them even more of a green light?

Graystoke
05-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I am pretty suprised by this result. There is no way I would have voted for him.

Frazod
05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Well when we elect those already exposed as such, aren't we really giving them even more of a green light?

What choice do we have? It's kind of like the Glen Campbell song. Nice guys get washed away like the snow and the rain.

And yes, I realize how completely cynical I am. :)

BucEyedPea
05-08-2013, 01:52 PM

The way I see it, and I said this long before Sanford's affair, is that I would forgive a politician for one affair in his marriage, if it was not recent. Say like years ago. That's enough time to see if he made one mistake, but then changed. People do. A repeat offender— that's a whole different ball game for me.

fan4ever
05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
The way I see it, and I said this long before Sanford's affair, is that I would forgive a politician for one affair in his marriage, if it was not recent. Say like years ago. That's enough time to see if he made one mistake, but then changed. People do. A repeat offender— that's a whole different ball game for me.

I believe in "forgiveness" but electing someone who's already betrayed the public trust (didn't he use tax payer's money to travel to Argentina) isn't being taught much of a lesson when he's elected to another post.

fan4ever
05-08-2013, 02:02 PM
What choice do we have? It's kind of like the Glen Campbell song. Nice guys get washed away like the snow and the rain.

I think we're thinking about this two different ways; are all politicians corrupt? Yes, all of them to some degree. Should we knowingly elect those who've been exposed to be corrupt? Why would you? It's not like there's an a**hole shortage or something.

BucEyedPea
05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I believe in "forgiveness" but electing someone who's already betrayed the public trust (didn't he use tax payer's money to travel to Argentina) isn't being taught much of a lesson when he's elected to another post.

I don't know all the details on the taxpayer money allegations. I thought he denied those charges.

According to what I could find was this:

The South Carolina Commerce Department said Mr. Sanford had spent most of the trade mission in Brazil, and an itinerary it provided showed that he had met with government officials and with executives of various biofuel companies.

There's more in there, where he meets the woman but he was already there for state business, but the schedule was just lighter in the second country.

To my knowledge, Sanford paid a $70,000 ethics fine, the largest in state history.

Whatever, it's really up to the people of that state, even if he's not the best choice. I mean what other Rs were gonna run?
Hope he doesn't run on a family values campaign. It's still a relatively recent affair. He divorced and now is engaged to the woman. I still like him on not being openly pro Iraq. I mean make love not war, right?

BucEyedPea
05-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Oops forgot the link for my last post:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/26/us/26sanford.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Prison Bitch
05-08-2013, 03:26 PM
The way I see it, and I said this long before Sanford's affair, is that I would forgive a politician for one affair in his marriage, if it was not recent. .

What about one rape, or one murder?

Aries Walker
05-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Those are felonies. An affair is not.

BucEyedPea
05-09-2013, 08:39 AM

What are felonies? Why wasn't he tried for them as felonies?

BucEyedPea
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Human Events has a good report on Sanford's win:

We gave it a heck of a fight,” Colbert Busch said in her concession speech. No, you didn’t. You were obliterated by the most beatable Republican in the House. Between campaign and independent spending, you blew upwards of $2 million, and got trounced by a candidate the National Republican Congressional Committee refused to support.

That and the mythical backlash against opponents of gun control didn’t materialize.

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/05/08/sanford-crushes-colbert-busch-in-south-carolina-special-election/

Baby Lee
05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
What about one rape, or one murder?

What are felonies? Why wasn't he tried for them as felonies?

Reading comprehension, enjoy some.

ChiefaRoo
05-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Ok, who's Glen Campbell?

cosmo20002
05-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Ok, who's Glen Campbell?

/Glen Campbell

Too soon?

cookster50
05-10-2013, 09:14 AM

And yes, I realize how completely ancient I am to be quoting Glen Campbell. :)

FYP

Dave Lane
05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
What a scum bag.

Frazod
05-10-2013, 09:56 AM
FYP

GET OFF MY LAWN