07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
racism

thats what she said

BlackHelicopters
07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
PIIHB

Frazod
07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I guess that's right. I'll bet the place is mobbed right now.

Chief_For_Life58
07-01-2013, 02:14 PM
has anyone ever been? id really like to check it out some day

siberian khatru
07-01-2013, 02:19 PM

Twice. Once as a teen, another as a married adult, where we stayed in a bed and breakfast on the battlefield. I loved it both times (but then, I'm a battlefield nut).

I have not been since they redid the visitor's center a few years ago. I really want to go back to see that, and to walk the battlefield again because it's so neat.

Walking Pickett's Charge in the summer is something else. You get the scale of the situation they faced.

Dayze
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Check out the grave of Colonel Angus.
true patriot.

Stewie
07-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Twice. Once as a teen, another as a married adult, where we stayed in a bed and breakfast on the battlefield. I loved it both times (but then, I'm a battlefield nut).

I have not been since they redid the visitor's center a few years ago. I really want to go back to see that, and to walk the battlefield again because it's so neat.

Walking Pickett's Charge in the summer is something else. You get the scale of the situation they faced.

I was 14 when I was there. I'm a history nut and so glad we went there as part of a vacation.

How Lee thought Pickett's men going that far in wide open spaces was a good idea is mind-boggling.

cosmo20002
07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Battle of Gettysburg

150 years ago today
:usa::usa::usa:

Meh.

/South

BlackHelicopters
07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
true patriot.

An inspiration to all men

Frazod
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM

It really helps to be there in person. I went to the Little Bighorn Battlefield several years ago - you really get a sense of how isolated Custer's men were from the rest of the troops, and just isolated in hostile territory in general. Seemingly takes forever to drive from place to place - can't imagine what it would have been like on a horse. It's a long, long way from Weir Point (the closest a rescue mission got before being turned back) to the spot he and his men were killed.

Sadly, I've never been to Gettysburg - made plans to go a couple of times, but they were always derailed by something. Someday.

siberian khatru
07-01-2013, 02:44 PM
It really helps to be there in person. I went to the Little Bighorn Battlefield several years ago - you really get a sense of how isolated Custer's men were from the rest of the troops, and just isolated in hostile territory in general. Seemingly takes forever to drive from place to place - can't imagine what it would have been like on a horse. It's a long, long way from Weir Point (the closest a rescue mission got before being turned back) to the spot he and his men were killed.

Sadly, I've never been to Gettysburg - made plans to go a couple of times, but they were always derailed by something. Someday.

Oh, man, as much as you are into military history, you would love it. You have to go. Bucket list.

crossbow
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Twelve thousand men killed in three hours near devil's den. Un-describable fear and yet they kept fighting. And the guys defending Little Round Top ran out of ammo so they fixed bayonets and charged... This after they had been assaulted all morning and all day.

Frazod
07-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Oh, man, as much as you are into military history, you would love it. You have to go. Bucket list.

Definitely. It's not lack of wanting to go that's kept me away.

tooge
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
pretty awesome.

Fairplay
07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Lee was going to wreck havoc and chaos to Harrisburg, PA and destroy one of the North's main railroad arteries of supply.

He was sidetracked, should have kept moving north by northeast and kept to the original plan, strategically the north had a superior location with their army he should've known to move on. The south was going to fail anyway just a matter of time for the beat down, Lee just hurried it along.

Easy 6
07-01-2013, 04:10 PM
true patriot.

That old carpetbagger?

Garcia Bronco
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Lee was going to wreck havoc and chaos to Harrisburg, PA and destroy one of the North's main railroad arteries of supply.

He was sidetracked, should have kept moving north by northeast and kept to the original plan, strategically the north had a superior location with their army he should've known to move on. The south was going to fail anyway just a matter of time for the beat down, Lee just hurried it along.

I don't think so. If not for the conscription act and a near unlimited supply of Irish Immigrants, I think it would have raged to a draw

Garcia Bronco
07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
That old carpetbagger?

A carpetbagger was from the North. A Scalawag was from the South. :thumb:

MOhillbilly
07-01-2013, 07:37 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Riccio

Sons of the South

PHOG
07-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Please, that was a 150 yrs. ago...it seems we may have another one on our hand's RIGHT NOW!

Big Chief Homer
07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Been there a few times but took the kids last July.

Took this pic of my favorite spot. The monument at the site of the Gettysburg address.

Raiderhater
07-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Once many years ago. I would consider it a must.

Dave Lane
07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Having played Terrible Swift Sword a few times I can attest to the very difficult position the Confederates are in in this battle.

Psyko Tek
07-02-2013, 09:41 PM
i was in reading ,PA on job, and we were gonna go in 2006, but they were taking the Chinese customer along

and I hated all those assholes
so I would not go
major regret , after I watched the ken burns civil war

I still don't like Chinese people who take our jobs
no problem with Chinese people being people

the stand in front of a tank guy is my favorite photo

I ended up drinking the "kgb" guy under the table with tequilla shots

I think I won he threw up, and passed out
I only fell down a flight of stairs