PDA

View Full Version : Misc Superpowers wouldn't solve anything in this world.

Direckshun
07-14-2013, 11:42 PM
That's the greatest lie told by superhero movies: that our society would be safer, and our world would be better, if only we had a select number of people with superpowers.

It's a lie, man. Superheroes excel at one thing: stopping local crime. That's about all they're capable of doing.

What about international humanitarian crises with no easy answers? Take Egypt for example.

Or even worse: Syria. Possibly the most complex puzzle the world has to offer right now, with absolutely no conceivable, workable solutions.

What's Superman going to do in Syria? Take Assad out? Let Assad stay in power? Any action he takes will allow one of those two options prevail, and both are incredibly ugly outcomes.

Let's assume Superman sides against Assad, since I think that's the more Superman option of the two. What then, as 1,000 different opposition groups, a number of them jihadist groups, start to grapple for political supremacy?

What happens when the Iraq-style ethnic cleansing of Assad's people begins? Is Superman capable of preventing ethnic cleansing?

Answers, people. I demand answers.

ThaVirus
07-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Superman could do some serious good in this world. Dude has the power to fight "crime" on a global scale.

Humans can't escape human nature though.

ThaVirus
07-14-2013, 11:45 PM
It would be really fucking cool to have a real-life Batman or Iron Man.

TLO
07-14-2013, 11:46 PM
then the midgets

Direckshun
07-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Superman could do some serious good in this world. Dude has the power to fight "crime" on a global scale.

Humans can't escape human nature though.

Here's what Superman can do that we can't, on a global scale:

We want to remove Saddam Hussein from power (for example). Boom, we just send Superman in, and he pulls out Saddam without a problem.

Except that just opens the doors to one of Saddam's subordinates to take over from where Saddam left off.

Valiant
07-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Superman would do one thing if real create a new religion. Countries would cower in fear to not piss him off. He would also reign in our government.

Now. Super villians is where it is at.

ThaVirus
07-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Well, the most powerful incarnations of Superman can fly at speeds near light speed, move planets, and is impervious to any man-made weapon.

He could literally stop a mugging in NYC, topple a military regime in Africa, then individually evacuate each member of a small Japanese city before a tsunami hit.. within a minute.

... That's why Superman is gay as hell.

Hammock Parties
07-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Superman could win a SB for the Chiefs though.

And we wouldn't even need to throw the ball.

CoMoChief
07-15-2013, 12:10 AM
I wish I could turn into the hulk

just for a day. just give me a few Gatorades and some Excedrin for the apparent hangover when I wake up.

Imon Yourside
07-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Superman could win a SB for the Chiefs though.

And we wouldn't even need to throw the ball.

Bring him in for a look?

KCSLC2008
07-15-2013, 01:00 AM
That's the greatest lie told by superhero movies: that our society would be safer, and our world would be better, if only we had a select number of people with superpowers.

It's a lie, man. Superheroes excel at one thing: stopping local crime. That's about all they're capable of doing.

What about international humanitarian crises with no easy answers? Take Egypt for example.

Or even worse: Syria. Possibly the most complex puzzle the world has to offer right now, with absolutely no conceivable, workable solutions.

What's Superman going to do in Syria? Take Assad out? Let Assad stay in power? Any action he takes will allow one of those two options prevail, and both are incredibly ugly outcomes.

Let's assume Superman sides against Assad, since I think that's the more Superman option of the two. What then, as 1,000 different opposition groups, a number of them jihadist groups, start to grapple for political supremacy?

What happens when the Iraq-style ethnic cleansing of Assad's people begins? Is Superman capable of preventing ethnic cleansing?

Answers, people. I demand answers.

Well, if Superman saved my local daughter, that would mean the world to me, therefore, to me, it would solve that. For other people, as all people are local somewhere, they'd feel the same. So just because a hero is limited in scope doesn't mean it wouldn't solve anything.

cosmo20002
07-15-2013, 01:02 AM

I think you are seriously underestimating the powers of Superman. If you can reverse the Earth's rotation in order to undo events, I think he could have a real impact.

And if you don't think just one could do much--how about the entire Justice League? You're talking Superman AND Batman AND Wonder Woman AND Flash AND the Green Lantern AND Aquaman AND a bunch of other more obscure ones I don't know. I assure you, they could get some shit done.

big nasty kcnut
07-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Well don't you think superman would go to syria and find people to lead that are good and then take care of the bad guys.

CrazyPhuD
07-15-2013, 02:05 AM
If everyone had Xray vision they couldn't turn off it would solve americas obesity problem!

OrtonsPiercedTaint
07-15-2013, 03:33 AM
I'd settle for someone with the ability to see right from wrong. Though I don't think people on the whole. Would be as happy with that as they think they would.

Lonewolf Ed
07-15-2013, 05:15 AM
Marvel had a Hulk mini-series many years ago, with Richard Corben as the artist, and the premise was the military used the Hulk as a weapon. They'd keep Banner doped up, then drop him out of a stealth bomber over a target area, say in Afghanistan, and when he hit the ground, he was one very upset Hulk. Whichever city they dropped him on was pretty much leveled by the time the Hulk chilled out. LMAO

-King-
07-15-2013, 06:04 AM
Marvel had a Hulk mini-series many years ago, with Richard Corben as the artist, and the premise was the military used the Hulk as a weapon. They'd keep Banner doped up, then drop him out of a stealth bomber over a target area, say in Afghanistan, and when he hit the ground, he was one very upset Hulk. Whichever city they dropped him on was pretty much leveled by the time the Hulk chilled out. LMAO

Hulk isn't a superhero though.
Posted via Mobile Device

J Diddy
07-15-2013, 06:19 AM
I think you are seriously underestimating the powers of Superman. If you can reverse the Earth's rotation in order to undo events, I think he could have a real impact.

And if you don't think just one could do much--how about the entire Justice League? You're talking Superman AND Batman AND Wonder Woman AND Flash AND the Green Lantern AND Aquaman AND a bunch of other more obscure ones I don't know. I assure you, they could get some shit done.

Superman-could single handedly negate the atomic threat
Batman-can clean up the streets
Aquaman-no more hurricanes or oil spills
Wonderman-can go around tying up all sexual deviants
flash-can save the post office billions of dollars by eliminating a ton of postal workers
Green lantern-meh, he can help batman and the others

blaise
07-15-2013, 06:30 AM
SNL did a bit on this with Jerry Seinfeld as Superman. He went on a radio talk show and fielded calls from people who asked him why he didn't solve various world and US issues.

Rasputin
07-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Superman didn't come to save the world Superman came to save 'Merica

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2013, 06:53 AM
Disagree. I'm a Superhero with world-wide impact.

DaKCMan AP: making the world more Awesome, one day at a time.

Rausch
07-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Prof Xavier could solve most of the world's problems by being a UN negotiator...

Valiant
07-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Prof Xavier could solve most of the world's problems by being a UN negotiator...

He is the worlds best villain that no one remembers.

houstonwhodat
07-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Undercover Brother would solve everything.

Sully
07-15-2013, 07:22 AM
I would think Superman could change a ton. Think of him as a sort of living Star Wars program. Once he chose a winner in a fight, he could, using his speed and strength, stop all incoming artillery. He could also use his X Ray vision to detect roadside bombs. Team him with professor X, who could use mind-entering and counseling techniques, and I think they'd accomplish a lot.

Rausch
07-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Team him with professor X, who could use mind-entering and counseling techniques, and I think they'd accomplish a lot.

"You will vote for me....you WILL vote for me.....YOU will vote for me..."

Prison Bitch
07-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Take it to the DC board please.

tooge
07-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Superman couldn't even stop Direction from starting ten threads a day.

Fish
07-15-2013, 08:54 AM
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2932/d1p2.jpg

loochy
07-15-2013, 08:56 AM
he could have swooped in and saved tayvon and delivered him to his true father, Barry O'B.

Rain Man
07-15-2013, 08:57 AM
It seems like Superman could dart around and listen to everyone's negotiations and use his x-ray vision to read their secret documents, and then figure out if a solution exists that is workable for everyone. If not, then he can point out where the irreconcilable differences lie and then listen to a debate about which side should win. Then he can enact regime change to the other side until he gets a regime that will resolve those differences.

But it points out the fundamental flaw with a Superman-run world. Superman has no need for democracy, and relying on Superman to resolve world problems is essentially a one-world government with a dictator. Maybe he's a benevolent dictator, but he's still a dictator. Even if Superman can indeed solve the world's problems, he would do so at the cost of our self-rule.

loochy
07-15-2013, 09:00 AM
But it points out the fundamental flaw with a Superman-run world. Superman has no need for democracy, and relying on Superman to resolve world problems is essentially a one-world government with a dictator. Maybe he's a benevolent dictator, but he's still a dictator. Even if Superman can indeed solve the world's problems, he would do so at the cost of our self-rule.

Maybe a benevolent dictator would be just what we need.

It would circumvent corruption and delusion that we actually have a say. What superman says is the final word, so just take it.

Molitoth
07-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Superman would be a god that people could actually see.

Lonewolf Ed
07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Hulk isn't a superhero though.
Posted via Mobile Device

He was a founding member of the Avengers and saved the Earth many times over, but that argument aside, he does have superPOWERS which is what the thread is about.

ChiefGator
07-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Maybe he's a benevolent dictator, but he's still a dictator. Even if Superman can indeed solve the world's problems, he would do so at the cost of our self-rule.

I, for one, welcome our new overlords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKbFb6TPVEA

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Dibs.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4468711&postcount=26
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5796272&postcount=53
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=8493936&postcount=93

loochy
07-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Dibs.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4468711&postcount=26
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5796272&postcount=53
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=8493936&postcount=93

Well I wouldn't want to be THE dictator. That's too much work. I just want to be a dictator crony.

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Well I wouldn't want to be THE dictator. That's too much work. I just want to be a dictator crony.

Excellent. Every dictator needs a loyal crony with no real aspirations to ever lead a coup to become dictator.

loochy
07-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Excellent. Every dictator needs a loyal crony with no real aspirations to ever lead a coup to become dictator.

Every Cheney needs a Bush?

DaKCMan AP
07-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Every Cheney needs a Bush?

That was more Pinky & the Brain...

Mr. Laz
07-15-2013, 10:20 AM

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2571756186/3cqhbpo6bsye04v4qnj8.jpeg

BlackHelicopters
07-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Superman loves wearing a cape. Nuff said.

Rain Man
07-15-2013, 10:31 AM

It would circumvent corruption and delusion that we actually have a say. What superman says is the final word, so just take it.

You just made Thomas Jefferson cry.

loochy
07-15-2013, 10:42 AM

No, the corrupt made Thomas Jefferson cry.

Mr. Laz
07-15-2013, 10:54 AM
If Thomas Jefferson saw congress of today SELLING their votes to the highest bidder he would do more than cry. Seppuku.

Earthling
07-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Would Gort count? World peace would never be so easy! Klaatu barada nicto !!

Contrarian
07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
God you got this totally wrong dude.
Superman would govern the total planet possibly the universe for peace and for the benefit of mankind on Earth. Do you honestly think that if Superman went to Syria that he would battle them? Don't you realize they would know who he was and cower to his demands and establish peace under his expectations? Superman never killed anyone except for two villains so he would do it without bloodshed. Do you also realize that the corruption within our global political system would end because he could tell if you were sincere and honest and looking out for the best interests of society? A lot of big money corporate interest republicans would be out of jobs and instantly become villains of which Superman would remove from our planet. LOL
Food, medicine, shelter and money would be shared and be the responsibility of all humans to do so under superman oversight. Discrimination wouldn't exist and equality would be global. Civilizations that still to this day don't see women as having the same rights as a man would have their religious believes abolished or Superman would remove them for noncompliance.
And of course Superman is capable of preventing ethnic cleansing. Do you think that humans would want to test him on that? I think you cloud your vision because there has been so many marvel movies recently that handle their business in a totally different way. DC however is much more unrealistic as Superman encompasses every power you are attempting to dismiss. Now Batman he's just a frickin retard with a belt, far from a superhero IMO.