PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 16

Rain Man
01-01-2014, 10:29 PM
The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Csv1wXOr5tY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_4-FgMZ4pik?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ecfofTC3wdE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6
01-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Dang man... Batman or Bruce Lee, my brain is locking up as i type.

Might even have to go with option D, gonna have to ponder on this one for a bit...

Rain Man
01-01-2014, 10:35 PM
My votes:

#1 - Kelly's Hero. Runaway winner. It's got tension at the beginning, has a great setting, it poses an interesting situation, and I love the ending. Plus...Donald Sutherland is just way cool.

#2 - Enter the Dragon. Has some visual appeal, but goes on too long. And Bruce Lee takes nearly seven minutes to beat a guy who has only one hand? Weak.

#3 - The Dark Knight. It was an okay scene, but didn't really draw me in. It's kind of ridiculous in my eyes.

Rain Man
01-01-2014, 10:36 PM

Might even have to go with option D, gonna have to ponder on this one for a bit...

Did you watch the Kelly's Heroes clip? It's awesome.

WhawhaWhat
01-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Batman/Joker scene. It's the climax of the movie and the Joker sets in motion the downfall of Batman.

listopencil
01-02-2014, 02:22 AM

I know. It's not really a fair choice. I went with Lee.

whoman69
01-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Bruce Lee. Chuck Norris defers to Bruce Lee.

whoman69
01-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Did you watch the Kelly's Heroes clip? It's awesome.

Sorry Rain Man. Kelly's Heroes is not an iconic movie, the other two are.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2014, 09:47 AM
My votes:

#1 - Kelly's Hero. Runaway winner. It's got tension at the beginning, has a great setting, it poses an interesting situation, and I love the ending. Plus...Donald Sutherland is just way cool.

#2 - Enter the Dragon. Has some visual appeal, but goes on too long. And Bruce Lee takes nearly seven minutes to beat a guy who has only one hand? Weak.

#3 - The Dark Knight. It was an okay scene, but didn't really draw me in. It's kind of ridiculous in my eyes.

Whereas three soldiers strolling up to a German tank and having the turret trained on them without being turned into pink mist is believable?

TheUte
01-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Kelly's Heroes no question.

Buehler445
01-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Whereas three soldiers strolling up to a German tank and having the turret trained on them without being turned into pink mist is believable?

ROFL

This. All day.

Rain Man
01-02-2014, 10:54 AM

What? WHAT? Kelly's heroes is a cult classic. Donald Sutherland had one of the most memorable characters ever. Murray, who later went on to write news for Lou Grant and Ted Baxter, was driving a tank. You had Clint Eastwood, Kojak, Archie Bunker, everybody in that movie. You had Uncle Leo before he got shot by Josey Wales. You had that choir singing "Burning Bridges". But most of all, you had a really bizarre Donald Sutherland.

And Batman? There are like 800 Batman movies. You can watch Batman movies starring Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Michael Keaton, and based on the picture below I'm pretty sure there was one starring John Goodman. Batman is hokey.

And Bruce Lee is just singing in the rain with a sound effects guy punching a side of beef.

http://cdn.denofgeek.us/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/1-batman.jpg?itok=xcQygfOb

DJ's left nut
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Remember the rules, though - that's not the point of the voting.

It's not to pick the best scene from the best movies. It's merely picking your favorite scene.

Theoretically, the quality of the movie doesn't matter one bit. It's historical impact doesn't matter either. You're judging only a single clip and how entertaining that one clip is.

For me, I can't get past the fact that Clint Eastwood would've taken a tank round to the chest and then the top guns would've opened up on 'bizarre Donald Sutherland' and Kojak.

Rain Man
01-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Remember the rules, though - that's not the point of the voting.

It's not to pick the best scene from the best movies. It's merely picking your favorite scene.

Theoretically, the quality of the movie doesn't matter one bit. It's historical impact doesn't matter either. You're judging only a single clip and how entertaining that one clip is.

For me, I can't get past the fact that Clint Eastwood would've taken a tank round to the chest and then the top guns would've opened up on 'bizarre Donald Sutherland' and Kojak.

He's a German in a crippled tank with the allied army advancing. Lots of those Germans were looking for a way to surrender or at least escape. Did they take a risk? Certainly. But there was a lot of gold in that vault and they needed that tank to blow it open. These guys were hardened veterans who knew the German mindset.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2014, 11:07 AM
He's a German in a crippled tank with the allied army advancing. Lots of those Germans were looking for a way to surrender or at least escape. Did they take a risk? Certainly. But there was a lot of gold in that vault and they needed that tank to blow it open. These guys were hardened veterans who knew the German mindset.

Yeah - cornering a crippled animal is always a good idea.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get there. That tank would've blown those three to hell and gone and the soldiers in it would've jumped out and scrambled to safety. As far as anyone in that tank knew, those three were all that were standing between them and escape.

Rain Man
01-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Darn you, batophiles. The Dark Knight moves on.

Kaepernick
04-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Heath Ledger's Joker is one of the most honest, sincere, frightening and realistic antagonists in film. These comic book movies have comic book villains. His Joker is right out of some insane real nightmare that could walk the earth.

It was brilliant how he framed that character. Just brilliant.