PDA

View Full Version : Football Peyton Manning's cry of 'Omaha' before snapping ball stirs Nebraska pride

Deberg_1990
01-13-2014, 10:33 PM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/01/peyton_mannings_cry_of_omaha_b.html

OMAHA, Neb. -- Peyton Manning can't stop shouting about Nebraska's largest city.

The Denver Broncos quarterback used the word "Omaha" loudly and often during Sunday's playoff victory over the San Diego Chargers.

According to an NFL.com video montage, Manning barked "Omaha" before the ball was snapped 44 times during the game.

The reason for the word choice, if there is one, is known only to Manning and the Broncos.

But it provided some unexpected publicity for the city of 427,000, perhaps best known as the home of both billionaire Warren Buffett and the Fortune 500 insurance company Mutual of Omaha (sponsor of the old TV show "Wild Kingdom").

"I think it shows Peyton Manning really loves Omaha," Mayor Jean Stothert said Monday. "I'll personally take him on a tour. He has an official invitation now."

Omaha was a trending topic on Twitter during the game, and the Greater Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau jumped aboard, tweeting: "We certainly appreciate all the love from Peyton Manning :)"

Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce President and CEO David Brown said he was watching the game, and he wondered how his agency could capitalize.

Brown said he wants to explore the possibility of hiring Manning, one of the sporting world's top pitchmen, to shoot a promotional ad for Omaha.

"We'd be foolish not to," Brown said, adding that he realizes Manning's fee probably would be prohibitive.

If anything, Omaha once conjured an image of a cow town on the banks of the Missouri River.

But Doug Parrott, executive vice president for the Nebraska-based Bailey Lauerman public relations and advertising firm, said that has changed over the years because of the prominence of Buffett and national media coverage of events such as the College World Series and U.S. Olympic Swim Trials.

Brown said the chamber of commerce has worked hard to woo corporations to locate to "the Big O," as locals call it.

Omaha is home to five Fortune 500 companies, including Union Pacific Railroad, and sells itself on, among other things, a reasonable cost of living and dependable workforce.

A chamber-commissioned study last year found that 100 million people had been exposed to the "Omaha message" in the past decade and that the city is generally viewed positively," Brown said.

"But when people are asked why they feel that way, they can't bring it to a single message," he said.

Quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots has been known to say "Omaha" during games and so has Peyton's brother, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning.

"Sally," ''Alpha," and "Kentucky" are among the many words that amount to gibberish to the typical fan, and sometimes they truly mean nothing.

But the words often are a signal to the rest of the offense to change a play or scheme -- and defenses sometimes try to crack the code.

It was apparent that the Chargers associated "Omaha" with Manning's snap count on Sunday because he lured five different San Diego players to jump offside, an unusually high number of penalties for the same infraction.

For the city of Omaha, the value of Manning's shout-outs is impossible to calculate, Parrott said.

Parrott noted, however, that air time for a 30-second Super Bowl ad is $4 million this year. If Manning leads the Broncos to the Super Bowl and yells "Omaha" as many times as he did Sunday, well, that's lots of free exposure.

"Commercials cost money to make, and you have to come up with the idea and hire a production company to make it. It could cost $4 million just for the production, and we get it for free," Parrott said.

"Everybody in Omaha really needs to root for Peyton to take down Tom Brady and the Patriots so we can hear 'Omaha' in the Super Bowl."

Shogun
01-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Matt Cassel was made famous around here for Omaha!

ping2000
01-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Matt Cassel was made famous around here for Omaha!

Omaha filed an injunction to get Cassel to stop saying Omaha.

CrazyPhuD
01-13-2014, 10:42 PM
I bet Peyton cries 'Omaha' for every push on the can too....

cosmo20002
01-13-2014, 10:46 PM
As a former Omahan I always like hearing QBs shout that. It's an underrated city, and it can use any positive publicity to overcome the taint of having Livesteam live there.

Demonpenz
01-13-2014, 10:50 PM
Counting crows had a song about omaha, it was about the time the white guy got his dreads pulled out or sumtin

cosmo20002
01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
On a long and lonesome highway
East of Omaha (whoo!)
You can listen to the engine
Moanin' out his one note song
You can think about the woman
Or the girl you knew the night before

Stad
01-13-2014, 11:09 PM
And Brady is famous for his "WHITE 80"

MMXcalibur
01-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Alex Smith: "SHEBOYGAN SHEBOYGAN!"

Deberg_1990
01-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Counting crows had a song about omaha, it was about the time the white guy got his dreads pulled out or sumtin

Great song!

KcMizzou
01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
"Omaha" has been a thing for years. Why is it a big deal now?

J Diddy
01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Omaha filed an injunction to get Cassel to stop saying Omaha.

:LOL:

KcMizzou
01-13-2014, 11:18 PM
I always wondered about why they chose it. Distinctive or something.

bevischief
01-13-2014, 11:23 PM

Have you every driven thru it? :fart:

listopencil
01-13-2014, 11:24 PM

Yes, it's for phonetic reasons.

KcMizzou
01-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Yes, it's for phonetic reasons.Yeah, you might be able to pick that word out of all of the noise. If you were listening for it.

listopencil
01-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Yeah, you might be able to pick that word out of all of the noise. If you were listening for it.

Occasionally it means an inside run. Occasionally it replaces "Hurry, hurry!" meaning that he is ready for the snap-so snap it when he stomps his foot. Occasionally it means flip the play. Occasionally it means hold your water because he's trying to get the D to jump, so pay attention to the snap count that he announced in the huddle. These things change not only every game but within games, and there are many of them.

listopencil
01-14-2014, 12:05 AM
He really does have tendencies and does get burned on them every once in a while.

01-14-2014, 12:57 AM
Thats funny because whenever I hear OMAHA I think of Matt Cassel.

"I think it shows Peyton Manning really loves Omaha," Mayor Jean Stothert said Monday. "I'll personally take him on a tour. He has an official invitation now."
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 12:58 AM
He really does have tendencies and does get burned on them every once in a while.

I remember earlier this season when the Donks played the Colts they asked Reggie Wayne if the Colts have an advantage because they know all Peyton's calls. He said that the ones that really mean anything he changes all the time. Other stuff is just thrown in as filler to cause confusion or run the clock. I've seen a lot of QBs do it, but no one as often and as long a Peyton does it.

I always think it's funny when he's been screaming for 20 seconds, the ball gets snapped, and he immediately throws a short screen for 2 yards. Quite a build-up for not much action.

Discuss Thrower
01-14-2014, 01:50 AM
I always think it's funny when he's been screaming for 20 seconds, the ball gets snapped, and he immediately throws a short screen for 2 yards. Quite a build-up for not much action.

It's a process.

01-14-2014, 02:13 AM
The people of Omaha obviously don't know that OMAHA is a pretty common thing for QBs these days. But OOOOOOOH Peyton said it. He must like us. LMAO

No offense to our CP residents of Omaha.

nierika
01-14-2014, 06:48 AM
QBs should do audibles in Navajo

Mr. Christopher
01-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Did anyone notice that when he used "Omaha," almost every time it was a single count snap? In fact, I think that's why he drew the Chargers offsides so many times. He lulled them into thinking it was a single count, and when they thought they'd get the jump on them, Manning changed it up and either delayed the count or he made it a two count snap.

I hate the Broncos, but watching Manning play is quite the experience.

modocsot
01-14-2014, 07:26 AM
He audible'd "Rhode Island" in the game. And he threw to where RI is if it were on a map on the field; far corner of the end zone.

InChiefsHeaven
01-14-2014, 07:35 AM
I heard about this on my way in to work this morning. Sheesh. Whatever I guess. I was yelling at my radio that Manning is NOT the only guy to say this, and it's not like he just said it this season or something. As someone else stated, hell, Cassel was famous for that shit.

But, it's a funny little thing I guess. It would be pretty epic if the city could somehow get him to scream Omaha Omaha! for a commercial or something, but it would cost an arm and a leg. All we got are a couple of cases of beer and a 78 Olds...not sure if he'd go for that.

Eleazar
01-14-2014, 07:42 AM
When Cassel did it, it seemed like "hey defense, we're audible-ing to an inside run, so make sure you stuff us!"

GloryDayz
01-14-2014, 07:56 AM
I still prefer "KILL, KILL, KILL"!!!!!! You'd think with this being "military appreciation year", they'd go with kill, kill, kill more often...

Dayze
01-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Omaha is the way Manning lets the officials that he's going to pass.

BlackHelicopters
01-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Seems like a snap count indicator most of the time.

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 09:21 AM
I heard about this on my way in to work this morning. Sheesh. Whatever I guess. I was yelling at my radio that Manning is NOT the only guy to say this, and it's not like he just said it this season or something. As someone else stated, hell, Cassel was famous for that shit.

But, it's a funny little thing I guess. It would be pretty epic if the city could somehow get him to scream Omaha Omaha! for a commercial or something, but it would cost an arm and a leg. All we got are a couple of cases of beer and a 78 Olds...not sure if he'd go for that.

I've heard him and other QBs say it, but I don't recall hearing it that loud and clear + so often. I think that's why it has become a thing. People who didn't notice before noticed this time.

stevieray
01-14-2014, 09:26 AM
this is important.

Dayze
01-14-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm waiting for a QB to belt out "Albuquerque" ; it means the run will be to the left.

Prison Bitch
01-14-2014, 09:35 AM
As a former Omahan I always like hearing QBs shout that. It's an underrated city, and it can use any positive publicity to overcome the taint of having Livesteam live there.

How many times you gonna spam us with this?

Aspengc8
01-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Seems like a snap count indicator most of the time.

It is. basically he is telling the line that he is done making adjustments, snap on count called in huddle.

LiveSteam
01-14-2014, 09:44 AM
As a former Omahan

Prostituting yourself on the street corners of Counciltucky dose not make one a Omahan.

Baby Lee
01-14-2014, 09:46 AM
And 'Fucking Julius' is the new 'God Damn It Donald'

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/hLmIYv6ULZh/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DttfyOeU3vw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
How many times you gonna spam us with this?

How long are you going to keep breathing?

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Prostituting yourself on the street corners of Counciltucky dose not make one a Omahan.

True, but I consider you an Omahan anyway.

LiveSteam
01-14-2014, 09:54 AM
True, but I consider you an Omahan anyway.

When ever someone brings up, the war on woman

I think of you

cosmo20002
01-14-2014, 10:00 AM
When ever someone brings up, the war on woman

I think of you

Just because I cracked on you doesn't mean I'm at war with women.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
It was "I'm a hee haw"
That's why the Charger D-line couldn't wait to ride him

ROYC75
01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
On a long and lonesome highway
East of Omaha (whoo!)
You can listen to the engine
Moanin' out his one note song
You can think about the woman
Or the girl you knew the night before

Nice, rep on it's way.

Maybe Peyton is ready to Turn the Page and Get Out of Denver ?

Donger
01-14-2014, 10:29 AM
I figured he uses it because it's a short, three syllable word and he can emphasis each syllable depending on the order.

Jimmya
01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Good thought.

Bowser
01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Nebraskans everywhere - THEY LOVE US! THEY REALLY REALLY LOVE US!!

Bob Dole
01-14-2014, 11:01 AM
I figured he uses it because it's a short, three syllable word and he can emphasis each syllable depending on the order.

Bob Dole assumed he was using it to honor Matt Cassel.

ping2000
01-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Omaha needs to send Manning some Haribo Gummy Bears as a thank you gift.

Dartgod
01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Omaha needs to send Manning some Haribo Gummy Bears as a thank you gift.

We don't need him gaining any unnecessary pounds before the AFC Championship game. Better make sure they are sugar-free.

Predarat
01-14-2014, 12:43 PM
I thought he was shouting Omaha to point out muscular and toothpick skinny girls he was noticing in the crowd.

ping2000
01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
We don't need him gaining any unnecessary pounds before the AFC Championship game. Better make sure they are sugar-free.

I was referring to the explosive diarrhea variety.

Garcia Bronco
01-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Omaha is okay. Their downtown area is a joke and I swear they roll-up the sidewalk when the street lights come on.

In58men
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Big Ben: RAPE RAPE

/SNR

Donger
01-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Manning explained Thursday what Omaha means.

"I've had a lot of people ask what Omaha means," Peyton Manning said. "It could be a run play, but it could also be a pass play or a play action pass depending on a couple things: The wind, which way we're going, the quarter and the jerseys that we're wearing."

Quesadilla Joe
01-16-2014, 12:21 PM
An advertising firm projected that if Manning were to sell the name of his audibles in the Super Bowl that he could get $400,000 just for saying a product name once.

Rausch
01-16-2014, 12:22 PM
An advertising firm projected that if Manning were to sell the name of his audibles in the Super Bowl that he could get $400,000 just for saying a product name once.

That would mean he'd have to win 3 postseason games in a row...

Dartgod
01-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Tampax, Tampax!

Summers Eve, Summers Eve!

Monistat!, Monistat!

BigMeatballDave
01-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Stay in your thread, Spamster.