PDA

View Full Version : Misc Question for Department Managers

Mosbonian
03-28-2014, 12:31 PM
In a normal work day how much of your time is spent:

1) Performing managerial functions such as coaching, directing workflow, counseling. In other words managing your team

2) Performing tasks that only you are slated to handle....

Rain Man
03-28-2014, 01:53 PM
I spend about ...

20% on company management
20% on managing others' tasks
60% on tasks

The second one is lower than it has been in the past, and will likely rise again for various reasons. In the past the ratio has been as high as 20/60/20. I suspect in the next couple of years it'll go up again to more of a 20/50/30 split.

htismaqe
03-28-2014, 01:55 PM
50% stocking arrows, basketballs, and bicycle tires.

Oh, you weren't talking about THAT kind of department manager...

Garcia Bronco
03-28-2014, 01:58 PM
In a normal work day how much of your time is spent:

1) Performing managerial functions such as coaching, directing workflow, counseling. In other words managing your team

2) Performing tasks that only you are slated to handle....

1) 50-60 percent, my chief goal with employees is to make them better for another job where they can better themselves with more pay. this is also how I empire build. lol

2) 40-50 percent. But I limit things that only I can do. It's make the company and the TEAM weak to be the bottleneck

Deberg_1990
03-28-2014, 01:59 PM
I spend about ...

10% on company management
10% on managing others' tasks
20% Tasks
60% on CP

FYP...

Red Beans
03-28-2014, 02:00 PM
What is -
30% on managing others' task
50% on tasks

What it should be -
5% on managing others' task
75% on tasks

Cursed with inheriting a small staff for a grant project that has a limited time span. Cannot address issue with one of the staff. If this gig wasn't temporary she would get some serious reprimanding, as it stands it isn't worth the headache.

The Franchise
03-28-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm also interested. I'm up for a promotion right now where I'd be in charge of the entire office. I don't have any managerial experience and I tend to give employees leeway on working on their own stuff so that I can handle my workload.

kepp
03-28-2014, 02:01 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NisCkxU544c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
03-28-2014, 02:06 PM
I spend most of my time looking at TPS reports and fixing PC-Load Letter errors for my minions.

DJJasonp
03-28-2014, 02:12 PM
50% fires and unplanned requests or projects
40% tasks and project management
10% coaching/teaching

Technology department.

Small team and demand for our services keeps me from coaching and strategic planning S much as i would like

Rain Man
03-28-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm also interested. I'm up for a promotion right now where I'd be in charge of the entire office. I don't have any managerial experience and I tend to give employees leeway on working on their own stuff so that I can handle my workload.

The tough mindset to break is that your own workload as a manager should not include tasks, and it should just involve helping others do tasks. I have challenges with that even though I should know better, but sometimes I look around and say, "Y'know, I'm the best guy to do that." I really shouldn't.

saphojunkie
03-28-2014, 02:20 PM
40% POOPING
20% JERKING OFF
40% CP and/or POOPING and/or JERKING OFF

The Franchise
03-28-2014, 02:21 PM
The tough mindset to break is that your own workload as a manager should not include tasks, and it should just involve helping others do tasks. I have challenges with that even though I should know better, but sometimes I look around and say, "Y'know, I'm the best guy to do that." I really shouldn't.

I won't have that opportunity though. I'm having to keep some of my tasks because they'll be eliminating my position if/when I get promoted. So I'll still have a good majority of the work I do now....I'll just have running the office and supervising 7 people on top of it.

Mosbonian
04-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks all...I posted this just to get a read on how other Managers have to spend their time. There are days that my percentages vary for me.

I know there is a difference between a "managing" Manager and a "working" Manager.

Shaid
04-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Well, I haven't had a manager directly above me for around 9 months now and so I've been doing that job and my job. I was basically already told I would have that job but because they are expecting to reorganize the company in the next couple of years, I'm not going to be promoted because that job may not exist soon. I only add that tidbit because it directly influences how I spend my time since I'm essentially doing the work of two people.

90% tasks - project work, reports, leading cross dept. implementations.
10% managing my direct reports.

I was probably closer to a 70/30 ratio before. Basically this means I don't have enough time to develop staff like I used to. Fortunately I already have some strong ones in place that I've already developed, the new folks are the ones that don't get enough of my time.