PDA

View Full Version : Mock (3/31)

Direckshun
03-31-2014, 03:38 PM
I did this format earlier, and it was popular. So I'm going with it again.

1. The Chiefs extend QB Alex Smith 6 years, $90m (when you break the numbers down, it will actually break down to 4 years, $60m, with something like $35m guaranteed), and S Eric Berry 6 years, $45m ($23m guaranteed). They will extend Justin Houston at some point during the 2015 season.

2. The Chiefs sign WR/KR Jacoby Ford (Raiders) to a 1 year, $1m deal, OT Jason Fox (Lions) to a 1 year, $1.5m deal.

On with the show:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-qmSZAkDg74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The board:

WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
OT/G Zack Martin, Notre Dame
OT/G Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
OG David Yankey, Stanford
DE Kony Ealy, Missouri
OLB Dee Ford, Auburn
CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
CB Jason Verrett, TCU
CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

Of these ten players, the Chiefs are clearly hurting for a WR and OL this season, and a CB and passrusher in 2015. That means this board is damn near ideal for the Chiefs, as they have their pick of the litter.

That said, because of the great unresolved issue at WR and OL, they can't take the luxury of bringing on Ealy or Gilbert, and have to plug a hole in the here and now. Of the available players, the Chiefs think Zack Martin is the smartest bet. You guys will hate that, but get used to it. It's OL and WR from here out, and the Chiefs love investing at OL.

That said, Martin is a pretty good fit. He isn't ideal at tackle, but can play the position extremely well. He's best as a fast, physical guard. But in the event that Eric Fisher simply can't cut it, Martin does give them another option to potentially man LT. It sucks, but that's where the team is at.

QB Zach Mettenberger, LSU
QB Brett Smith, Wyoming
RB Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona
RB Jeremy Hill, LSU
WR Bruce Ellington, South Carolina
WR Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin
TE C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa
OT Jack Mewhort, Ohio State
OT JaWuan James, Tennessee
OT/G Billy Turner, North Dakota State
DT Justin Ellis, Louisiana Tech
DT Daniel McCullers, Tennessee
S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois

And this is why I hate OL in the 1st round. We have three starter-quality players available in Mewhort, James, and Turner, who can handle the RG responsibilities either in the short-term (Mewhort & James) or long-term (Turner).

Nonetheless, here we are. And again, the options are really juicy for the Chiefs, OL notwithstanding. They aren't shopping QB or RB this early, but they probably love Fiedorowicz and Ward, and they really need NT help for Poe, and both Ellis and McCullers are big-time talents at the position. But Ellington and Abbrederis are probably the prime talents.

Since the Chiefs love Berry, Commings, and Abdullah, the choice here comes down to Fiedorowicz or either of those receivers. And while I'm sure the Chiefs adore Fiedorowicz, Jared Abbrederis is the smart route-running slot magician that Andy Reid loves.

WR Mike Davis, Texas
WR Devin Street, Pittsburgh
TE Marcel Jensen, Fresno State
OT Cameron Fleming, Stanford
C Tyler Larsen, Utah State
DT Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State
DT Will Sutton, Arizona State
DE/DT Dominique Easley, Florida
DE/DT Brent Urban, Virginia
DE/DT Ego Ferguson, LSU
DE/OLB Michael Sam, Missouri
ILB/OLB Lamin Barrow, LSU
ILB/OLB Jonathan Brown, Illinois
CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood
CB Terrance Mitchell, Oregon
S Ahmad Dixon, Baylor

Tons of defensive options right here, particularly at DL. Easley has fallen due to injury concerns, but the Chiefs will probably pass -- they lost a playoff game a few months ago purely because they suffered too many injuries, and injuries sidelined all of their TEs, both of their starting passrushers, and a rookie at safety that they love -- they need to get away from the injury drama.

Urban is a prototypical 3-4 DE, and Carrethers can be a stout project at NT. Desir and Mitchell are both prime candidates to excel at the next level at CB, as well. The Chiefs would love to spend a pick on any of these players, but they choose to bolster their defensive line with Ego Ferguson, a stud defensive tackle from LSU who plays with good athleticism and fantastic power. Ego is athletic enough to play DE, and stout enough to man the NT in select situations. Mostly, he will provide quality downs so that Poe can rest.

WR Shaq Evans, UCLA
WR Jalen Saunders, Oklahoma
OT James Hurst, North Carolina
OG Trai Turner, LSU
C Corey Linsley, Ohio State
DT Anthony Johnson, LSU
DT Caraun Reid, Princeton
DT Ricky Havili-Heimuli, Oregon
DE/OLB Carl Bradford, Arizona State
OLB Tyler Starr, South Dakota
ILB Jack Tyler, Virginia Tech
CB Deion Belue, Alabama
CB Rashaad Reynolds, Oregon State
S Kenny Ladler, Vanderbilt

The Chiefs have effectively bolstered both lines, while adding a playmaker in Abbrederis who should be contributing right away. At this point, they can further bolster either line if they wanted -- both Turner and Hurst would be great fits in KC, and Starr would be a fascinating project at rushbacker.

However, the Chiefs need to add more muscle to their backfield, and Kenny Ladler is the playmaker they need. Reynolds would be a solid get as well, but the Chiefs are currently deeper at CB than they are at S, where one injury would totally screw their depth chart. Ladler is an inconsistent player, but he is a playmaking FS. If the Chiefs can reign in some of his errors, he does have starter potential in the NFL.

6.193. & 6.200.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
QB Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
RB Devonta Freeman, Florida State
WR Eric Ward, Texas Tech
WR T.J. Jones, Notre Dame
TE Xavier Grimble, USC
TE Rob Blanchflower, Massachusetts
OT Matt Patchan, Boston College
OT Cornelius Lucas, Kansas State
OG John Urschel, Penn State
C Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma
DT Beau Allen, Wisconsin
DE/DT George Uko, USC
DE/DT Ben Gardner, Stanford
DE/DT Deandre Coleman, California
DE/OLB Prince Shembo, Notre Dame
OLB Devon Kennard, USC
OLB Shaquil Barrett, Colorado State
OLB Marquis Spruill, Syracuse
CB Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida
CB Ricardo Allen, Purdue
CB Bene Benwikere, San Jose State

At this point, it's all about just finding the best player and stacking the roster as much as possible.

Highest players on my big board of these choices, in order: Garoppalo, Thomas, Uko, Grimble, and Freeman.

Of those, the players at the positions of biggest need are Xavier Grimble and Devonte Freeman.

Direckshun
03-31-2014, 03:42 PM
QB: Smith, Daniel, Bray
RB: Charles, Davis, Freeman, Gray
FB: Sherman

WR: Bowe, Avery, Abbrederis, Jenkins, Hemingway, Ford
TE: Kelce, Fasano, Grimble

LT: Fisher, Stephenson
LG: Allen, Johnson
C: Hudson, Kush
RG: Martin, Johnson
RT: Stephenson, Fox

DE: DeVito, Bailey
NT: Poe, Ferguson, DeVito
DE: Walker, Catapano, Ferguson

OLB: Hali, Moses
ILB: Mays, Johnson
ILB: Johnson, Johnson
OLB: Houston, Zombo

CB: Flowers, Smith, Cooper, Owens, Parker
S: Berry, Commings, Abdullah, Ladler, Parker

The Pest
03-31-2014, 03:58 PM
So we signed Linkenbach to cut him? Fucking doubtful. I don't think they're going OL early if they sign Fox and Linkenbach this offseason.

O.city
03-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Early would be my choice

Direckshun
03-31-2014, 04:05 PM
So we signed Linkenbach to cut him? ****ing doubtful. I don't think they're going OL early if they sign Fox and Linkenbach this offseason.

Who gives a shit about Linkenbach. They signed him to roughly $1m. They could cut him and nobody cares.

The Pest
03-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Who gives a shit about Linkenbach. They signed him to roughly $1m. They could cut him and nobody cares.

Yeah....and we should totally fucking take an OG who's entire contract is fucking guaranteed. Oh....that and he played OT in college. Great fucking plan. I'm picking Manziel for you tomorrow.

The Pest
03-31-2014, 04:44 PM
Oh...and Jimmy Garoppolo lasting until the 6th? ROFL

The Pest
03-31-2014, 04:46 PM
1. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
3. S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
4. WR Mike Davis, Texas
5. OG Trai Turner, LSU
6. TE Xavier Grimble, USC
6. DE/OLB Prince Shembo, Notre Dame

planetdoc
03-31-2014, 04:49 PM
hate OP's draft

The Pest
03-31-2014, 04:57 PM
In fact...Prince Shembo has almost identical combine numbers to Hali....except he benched more, ran a faster 40 and weighed about 15 lbs less.

planetdoc
03-31-2014, 05:30 PM
In fact...Prince Shembo has almost identical combine numbers to Hali....except he benched more, ran a faster 40 and weighed about 15 lbs less.

that just means he is slow. I give more credit to hali for running that speed with an extra 15lbs.

His 3 cone time (a test of change of direction) is among the slowest among the 36 linebackers at the combine. His short shuttle is also below average (another test of ability to change direction).

The Pest
03-31-2014, 05:35 PM
that just means he is slow. I give more credit to hali for running that speed with an extra 15lbs.

His 3 cone time (a test of change of direction) is among the slowest among the 36 linebackers at the combine. His short shuttle is also below average (another test of ability to change direction).

I'm not advocating drafting the guy in the 1st round. He'll be lucky to go sooner than the 6th/7th round.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-31-2014, 06:29 PM
1. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
3. S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
4. WR Mike Davis, Texas
5. OG Trai Turner, LSU
6. TE Xavier Grimble, USC
6. DE/OLB Prince Shembo, Notre Dame

OP sucks.

This wins.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Early would be my choice

This

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-31-2014, 06:50 PM
Direckshun , you have absolutely lost your mind !

Direckshun
03-31-2014, 07:46 PM
LMAO

O.city
03-31-2014, 07:48 PM
If we take a fucking guard over cooks and ealy, I'll lose my shit

Direckshun
03-31-2014, 07:52 PM
It's time to start mocking OL in the 1st. We've out it off all offseason.

It's by far the most likely position selected by the Chiefs.

O.city
03-31-2014, 08:00 PM
Why is ol more likely than a wr or a safety?

RunKC
03-31-2014, 08:34 PM
I think the Chiefs would take Will Sutton. We've had multiple meetings with him and he's a good pass rusher with solid mechanics.

He just weighed a shit load his last year because they told him to get bigger and now he's back to his regular size.

Direckshun
03-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Because we have a need at guard and, eventually, tackle. We have start-quality people at both of those other positions.

It ain't great. But that's what it is.

O.city
03-31-2014, 08:44 PM
Because we have a need at guard and, eventually, tackle. We have start-quality people at both of those other positions.

We have the same start quality players at guard as those spots.

Saccopoo
03-31-2014, 09:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VfKHr.gif

The Pest
04-01-2014, 09:30 AM

The fuck we do. Linkenbach and Fox would be quality depth at both the OT and OG positions. I fully expect this team to make Rishaw Johnson the starting RG this season.

jctexan
04-01-2014, 09:50 AM
I don't mean to derail anyone's thread, but I wanted to get some input on a mock draft I participated in as the Chiefs on a Texans forum:

1.23: Marqise Lee - WR - USC

Alex Smith is a classic game-manager who needs complementary playmakers around him to be at his best. Marqise Lee has explosive straight-line speed, is savvy as a route-runner and should give the Chiefs a solid #2 WR opposite Dwayne Bowe.

3.87: Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman

Dozier exhibits light feet, a fluid kick-slide, and is a natural bender. Gets good arm extension to keep defenders out of his chest, and utilizes his lower half well to establish leverage on contact and absorb the power rush.. The Chiefs have a huge need at both Guard spots and Dozier is the top OG available here.

4.124: Justin Ellis - DT - Louisiana Tech

Sitting at a squatty 6'1", 350 lbs, Ellis looks every single pound of that on tape. He looks like Vince Wilfork against La Tech's lesser competition: constant push in the passing game and absolute domination between the tackles. He looked outstanding at the East/West game, as well. Ellis has definite starter potential, and if the Chiefs were serious about either giving Poe a blow, or moving him to DE, Ellis is definitely worth a look if he lasts to this pick..

5.163: Ross Cockrell - CB Duke

Cockrell is much more physical than he looks. He has a lean, wiry build but doesn't shy from getting physical at the line of scrimmage, wasting little time in pursuit or attacking blocks. His awareness is an asset as Cockrell locates the ball and shows burst to close. Characterized as a coach on the field. He possesses quick hands and good timing to rip at the ball as it arrives, as indicated by the number of passes he's broken up (53) and intercepted (12) over his career.

6.193: Andre Williams - RB - Boston College

Williams is thickly-built with terrific balance to pick up yards after contact, lowering his pads and driving forward for every yard he can get. Shows good build up speed and enough quickness to pick his way through the crowd. Was a workhorse for Boston College, to the tune of 2,177 yards last year.

6.200: Nat Berhe - SS - San Diego State

Good awareness. Reads the quarterback and steps towards the plays as it unfolds. Light feet and fluid hips allowing him to change directions quickly showing natural coverage skills. Breaks on the ball well. Avoids blockers, showing good flexibility to slip past them and make physical tackles in the open field.

Thoughts?

Direckshun
04-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Pretty good, if you believe that Cockrell can play man.

He was 100% zone at Duke.

Sorter
04-01-2014, 08:37 PM

This seems a bit high to me.

Av bet?

Direckshun
04-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Heh.

It is high. But Duke's primary defensive scheme is zone in the backfield. I know what I've seen.

Sorter
04-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Heh.

It is high. But Duke's primary defensive scheme is zone in the backfield. I know what I've seen.

So, you wanna take the bet at 100%?

I'm feeling a bit jittery and my av has been stagnant for quite a while.

MotherfuckerJones
04-01-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping we can trade down, pick up picks. I'd like Beckham Jr. My first dream choice is Ebron. But that ain't happening. I haven't watched Moncrief (however it's spelled) but I've heard he's pretty good. What u guys know about him?

jctexan
04-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I honestly don't know if he can play man in the NFL, but he was one of the top corners available in the fifth in this mock draft and I liked how he was described as being a coach on the field. I thought, with a fifth rounder, it would be at least worth the gamble to find out if he could play man.

Saccopoo
04-01-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't mean to derail anyone's thread, but I wanted to get some input on a mock draft I participated in as the Chiefs on a Texans forum:

Thoughts?

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag156/excursionist1/A0424-Christmas-tree-fires_leader_zps757fcb00.jpeg

+

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/67/06/63441964676570/0/hiv-aids-symptoms.w654.jpg

+

http://images.sportsworldnews.com/data/images/full/1944/antifreeze.jpg

+

http://img3.targetimg3.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/13/79/13793819.jpg

=

Your mock.

Saccopoo
04-01-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm hoping we can trade down, pick up picks. I'd like Beckham Jr. My first dream choice is Ebron. But that ain't happening. I haven't watched Moncrief (however it's spelled) but I've heard he's pretty good. What u guys know about him?

He's fast as shit (4.40 40), gets immediate separation from defensive backs (turns upfield and really is a long strider at that point - just accelerates past dudes), is big (6'2", 220 lb.), has a 40" vertical, runs solid routes and plays hard.

I think he's a stud.

I was reading one NFL scout's take on him and he thought that when it's all said and done, Moncrief could be the best receiver out of this draft.

OldSchool
04-01-2014, 10:34 PM
He's fast as shit (4.40 40), gets immediate separation from defensive backs (turns upfield and really is a long strider at that point - just accelerates past dudes), is big (6'2", 220 lb.), has a 40" vertical, runs solid routes and plays hard.

I think he's a stud.

I was reading one NFL scout's take on him and he thought that when it's all said and done, Moncrief could be the best receiver out of this draft.

If he ever learns to attack the ball away from his body, there's no reason why he couldn't be. Definitely has the best blend of size and speed. Need to see more from him in terms of the nuances in playing the position, what separates the great players from the average guys. Didn't see enough of that for him to warrant a 1st round pick, not in a draft that's this deep. Right now he's pretty much all potential, IMO. I would take him ahead of Kelvin Benjamin though. Benjamin really scares me, screams Baldwin all over again.

htismaqe
04-02-2014, 08:28 AM
If he ever learns to attack the ball away from his body, there's no reason why he couldn't be. Definitely has the best blend of size and speed. Need to see more from him in terms of the nuances in playing the position, what separates the great players from the average guys. Didn't see enough of that for him to warrant a 1st round pick, not in a draft that's this deep. Right now he's pretty much all potential, IMO. I would take him ahead of Kelvin Benjamin though. Benjamin really scares me, screams Baldwin all over again.

This.

Moncrief has all the measurables. But he's a body catcher far, far too often.

I think he could end up being a lot like Dwayne Bowe if he doesn't get it corrected. Magical one minute, dropping everything the next...

RunKC
04-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Zack Martin over Justin Gilbert and Brandin Cooks?

What is this madness?