PDA

View Full Version : Computers Network

Boon
05-23-2014, 08:07 PM
I have a wireless router that several PCs in the house share.
My main PC runs Windows 7 and I have Linux Mint on another.

Can I set up a network between these two machines that would allow me to exchange files
back and forth?

htismaqe
05-23-2014, 08:59 PM
What kind of router do you have? Is it a newer router with a USB port?

bishop_74
05-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Samba works well for me

htismaqe
05-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Samba works well for a lot of people. We need to know more about his setup before we make that decision though.

Boon
05-24-2014, 02:06 AM
What kind of router do you have? Is it a newer router with a USB port?

No. It's an older model. No USB port. Linksys I think.

htismaqe
05-24-2014, 08:01 AM
No. It's an older model. No USB port. Linksys I think.

How comfortable are you with Linux?

Setting up your file share on the Linux box would probably be more stable and perform better - you could use Samba for Windows compatibility.

However, setting up a file share on the Windows box is just a couple of check marks. The Linux box should be able to see a CIFS/SMB share just fine but Windows workstation OS doesn't always make the best file share.

Boon
05-24-2014, 09:45 AM
How comfortable are you with Linux?

Setting up your file share on the Linux box would probably be more stable and perform better - you could use Samba for Windows compatibility.

However, setting up a file share on the Windows box is just a couple of check marks. The Linux box should be able to see a CIFS/SMB share just fine but Windows workstation OS doesn't always make the best file share.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately a lot of this doesn't make sense to me. Before I put Linux on the box, I had XP and I was able to move files from one to another. I think I had to make the workgroup setting "Workgroup" on both boxes. When I loook at network settings in Linux I can see the drives on the drives on the Win7 box. I tried to right click the icon and connect to one. It keeps asking for a password, I enter it and nothing. As I say, I know little about networking, etc.

htismaqe
05-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately a lot of this doesn't make sense to me. Before I put Linux on the box, I had XP and I was able to move files from one to another. I think I had to make the workgroup setting "Workgroup" on both boxes. When I loook at network settings in Linux I can see the drives on the drives on the Win7 box. I tried to right click the icon and connect to one. It keeps asking for a password, I enter it and nothing. As I say, I know little about networking, etc.

By default, Windows is going to use local authentication.

On your Linux box, open the drive like you did and when it prompts you for a username and password, type in your WINDOWS username and password (the one you use to login to the Windows machine) rather than the login you use on the Linux box itself.

Boon
05-24-2014, 01:02 PM

On your Linux box, open the drive like you did and when it prompts you for a username and password, type in your WINDOWS username and password (the one you use to login to the Windows machine) rather than the login you use on the Linux box itself.

I have done this in Linux and it just keeps throwing up the same dialog box.
Enter name and password.

I have double checked the name/password but it won't access the drive. I am lost???

htismaqe
05-24-2014, 01:22 PM
I have done this in Linux and it just keeps throwing up the same dialog box.
Enter name and password.

I have double checked the name/password but it won't access the drive. I am lost???

:hmmm:

Follow the instructions here:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-change-shared-folder-permissions-in-window0.navId-397922.html

Setup a unique user on that shared folder called "linux" or something similar and then try it again.

Windows can be kind of wonky.

carcosa
05-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Thought this was going to be about the Chayefsky film.

TribalElder
05-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Samba works well for me

This

If you are only copying files then use winscp over ssh

TheUte
05-27-2014, 11:13 AM

The User you should be using is actually "computername\Username".

It tells the machine you connecting to that you are using a local account.

htismaqe
05-27-2014, 12:03 PM
The User you should be using is actually "computername\Username".

It tells the machine you connecting to that you are using a local account.

Ah yes. It's been so long since I've actually used Windows.

Good catch!