PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Martial Arts?

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Any other martial artists on here? I do Gracie (or as some call it, Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu. I started to get into it, but my work schedule plus having a kid kind of derailed that.

ThaVirus
05-26-2014, 01:01 AM
Don't need them. I've watched enough action movies to know how to kick your ass.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-26-2014, 01:05 AM
Don't need them. I've watched enough action movies to know how to kick your ass.

Are you challenging me to a kumite?

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/bloodsportvan1.jpg

Tribal Warfare
Shorin Ryu here

TimBone

I watch Roadhouse once a month, so I'm pretty solid as well.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-26-2014, 01:08 AM

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50356_274456929973_6514198_n.jpg#peter%20griffin%20roadhouse%20200x150

ROADHOUSE.

New World Order
05-26-2014, 03:39 AM
You should grapple with Daniel Cormier.

Dave Lane
05-26-2014, 04:38 AM
Bushidokan, originally with KC's own Jim Harrison.

Dave Lane
05-26-2014, 04:40 AM

If you look at the book Patrick Swayze is reading in bed in roadhouse it's "the life and times of Jim Harrison"

Coyote
05-26-2014, 06:16 AM

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCRP%203-02B%20PT%201.pdf
Way back in the last century, before I joined the Corps, I worked out at the dojo on Shawnee mission pkwy. Many of Harrison's techniques were incorporated by us, hence the link. Though I used to lose more 30 plus year old aviators for MCMAP training injuries than anything else so questioned the logic of this program being applied to all at times.

TEX
05-26-2014, 06:27 AM
When I was growing up in the '70's there weren't many martial art disciplines to choose from, where I lived, so I started taking karate some 30+ years ago. At first it was to provide balance and coordination for team sports, but as I got older, I started to reach my max skill / suck level and one by one, started to adjust my participation level accordingly. My last full participation at top-level team competition was college baseball. After college, that turned to soft ball, which I still play. All other sports followed suit except karate, which increased. It has really strengthened my core and increased flexibility and kept me shape as I get older.

Bwana
05-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Yes

Fish
05-26-2014, 08:05 AM
I'm training with the maintenance guy at our apartment complex. Mostly washing cars and stuff so far.

Predarat
05-26-2014, 08:05 AM
If you look at the book Patrick Swayze is reading in bed in roadhouse it's "the life and times of Jim Harrison"

Wow I really missed that plot foul. In real life rent a cop security guards can't read.

SAUTO
05-26-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm training with the maintenance guy at our apartment complex. Mostly washing cars and stuff so far.

Is his name miyagi by chance?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
05-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Is his name miyagi by chance?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, his name is Larry.

SAUTO
05-26-2014, 08:20 AM
No, his name is Larry.

Damn miyagi sounds better for the big screen.

Let's us know how the little trees go
Posted via Mobile Device

Fairplay
05-26-2014, 08:24 AM
The guy training me calls me grasshopper.

TribalElder
05-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Show me paint the fence

Bwana
05-26-2014, 08:32 AM
No, his name is Larry.

This Larry?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yePWd2zmqn4/UUSQCC98bnI/AAAAAAAAIHI/jkE7fSzdWh4/s1600/larrydarryldarryl.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=5rpmG3gBgUF44M&tbnid=B2MkmxZVu5SPOM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Flazyspleen.blogspot.com%2F2013%2F03%2Frandomville-interesting-quotes-by.html&ei=RVCDU_PFMsz3oASXsYLYBw&bvm=bv.67720277,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNHYh7a5Obt-pemyKMdngFlw0jAMJA&ust=1401201082767173)

TribalElder
05-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Rolling with Daryl and Daryl

Chief_For_Life58
05-26-2014, 08:42 AM
I got my blue belt in bjj in college but I haven't trained in about a year now

SAUTO
05-26-2014, 09:00 AM
I thought this was about marital arts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog Rider
05-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Tae Kwon Do in the 70's. Black Belt: but have since forgotten more than I learned. My cup is not just empty - it has a hole in it.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-26-2014, 09:19 AM
I go to a Barbershop Quartet Fighting School

Bowser
05-26-2014, 10:05 AM
I took a version of tae-kwon-do (or take-your-dough, as my Akido buddy calls it) while I was stationed in Okinawa. It was ok, but didn't really have that WOW factor. I looked into a form called Uechi-Ryu. It really interested me and I had decided to get into it, but then I got orders to leave and never followed through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uechi_Ryu

If I were to ever get back into martial arts, I'd likely look into ju-jitsu or Akido.

NewChief
05-26-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm a ninja.

Bowser
05-26-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm a ninja.

Ninja, please

MrNightly
05-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Which school?

Jim Harrison was the man!

verbaljitsu
05-26-2014, 01:55 PM
BJJ blue belt under Dustin Denes. Trained Jeet Kune Do for 8 years or so.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-26-2014, 10:09 PM
BJJ blue belt under Dustin Denes. Trained Jeet Kune Do for 8 years or so.

Nice, I had a goal to get my blue before 40. I still have a year and some months I guess...I would probably already be one, the problem is my work schedule.

listopencil
05-26-2014, 10:13 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50356_274456929973_6514198_n.jpg#peter%20griffin%20roadhouse%20200x150

ROADHOUSE.

Oh, yeah?

http://blog.numbski.com/static/img/hado.gif

Groves
05-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Any other martial artists on here? I do Gracie (or as some call it, Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu. I started to get into it, but my work schedule plus having a kid kind of derailed that.

Are you entering that Springfield AGF tourney coming up? Think my boy will sign up.

verbaljitsu
05-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Nice, I had a goal to get my blue before 40. I still have a year and some months I guess...I would probably already be one, the problem is my work schedule.

took me a while. Moving, law school, injuries, work, injuries, wife, injuries. Felt pretty damn good to finally get it though.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Are you entering that Springfield AGF tourney coming up? Think my boy will sign up.Not sure what that is, but no.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-27-2014, 01:02 AM
took me a while. Moving, law school, injuries, work, injuries, wife, injuries. Felt pretty damn good to finally get it though.

I got two stripes a few years ago, which I felt was something because I am 6 ft 200+ lbs...and I was one of the smaller guys in the class. A lot of times, the smallest. I was in RGDA (Royler Gracie/David Adiv), and got to shake Royler's hand. Sounds silly, but I was so stoked to see the guy in person.

Fansy the Famous Bard
05-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Tae kwan do for many a year as a yoot.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f3fTVkavMVg/THhgn6AFd6I/AAAAAAAADjg/sIKW6vk4UZY/s320/my_cousin_vinny.JPG

Have done Ju-Jitsu and Muay Thai off and on as an adult. The Muay Thai was particularly difficult for me because of the experience in TKD. The concepts are extremely conflicting, so much that the kickboxing instructor told me its easier to teach someone with no experience than a black-belt in TKD.

Favorite of them all was easily BJJ, though. Full body workout far superior to just kicking and punching. I would be tired from the other two, BJJ worked me to another level.

Lonewolf Ed
05-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Back when I was 17, I started with Shinki Ryu Jitsu and was an assistant instructor from 18 to 20. An elbow injury derailed that. :(

MTG#10
05-27-2014, 06:48 AM
I took Goju Ryu as a wee lad for a couple years. Got to brown belt, then my mom could no longer afford it.

Chief_For_Life58
05-27-2014, 07:25 AM

I wouldn't even think there's an academy in Springfield. what belt is your instructor there

Jimmya
05-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Used to box, but cant imagine all the stretching involved with martial arts. It would be the death of me.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-27-2014, 07:43 AM
Goodbye my Coney Island Danielson...

Beef Supreme
05-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Sweep the leg!

warrior
05-27-2014, 08:56 AM

:hmmm:We have something in common / that was a long time ago.

SAUTO
05-27-2014, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't even think there's an academy in Springfield. what belt is your instructor there

BLUE

The Iron Chief
05-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Both my sons take TANG SOO DO and both started at a very young age.
My youngest son at age 10 is a Red belt and is give or take 6 months away from his Black belt test. He has been a Red belt now for closing in on 2 yrs.
I'm extremely proud of him he has won many medals at tournaments.
The one draw back if there is one at reaching this level at this young age is he will not be able to go for second degree Black belt until he is 14 I believe it is.
So I hope he can handle being stagnant for 2/3 yrs.

My oldest/14 takes 2 forms of karate, he just got his Red belt in Tang soo do so it'll be at least 18 months until he is close to his Black belt test.
He also takes Haidong Gumdo which focuses on various weapons.
He is extremely close to his Black belt test if all goes well we will be celebrating this before the summer ends.
In March at the Boston Tournament just by chance Grand Master Mitchel stepped in to help judge the ring my son was in.
He was doing a sword form and she gave him the Gold.
To get Gold sweet to have the head judge at your ring be the Grand Master..that much Sweeter.

I took karate for a short time as a punk kid between the ages of 15&18.
My parents thought it would do me some good and I suppose it did but as soon as I had to start deciding between a party or going to the gym..
well slowly going to a party or trying to get laid won out.

In no way did I ever expect my kids to come home from school one day and tell me there was a karate school presentation and they were both interested.
5/6 yrs later many many nights taking them to the gym here we are closing in on 3 Black belt tests.
Its a good healthy yr long activity that is life long unlike other sports.
Good for their bodies and also their minds.
When we go away to big tournaments and I watch them hold their own perform well get up in front of all these people and not lose their concentration ..
well all I can say is my allergies sniff begin to act up. ;)

tooge
05-27-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't know anyone named Martial, painter or not. I just know I kickass. Get him a bodybag!

loochy
05-27-2014, 12:07 PM
I TAKE KICKBOXING CLASS AT THE GYM SO I CAN FIGHT

/stupid suburban moms

Clyde Frog
05-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Im a one stripe purple belt in BJJ. Been training on and off since 2003.

Got my blue under Saulo and Xande Ribeiro.
Got my purple under Ariel Medina.

Both of those mean a lot to me and Ive respectfully turned down promotions because I want my belt lineage to be from instructors that I feel are well respected within the BJJ and MMA community.

Ive been fortunate enough to have trained under Amazing BJJ instructors in my time. Dean Lister, Tyrone Glover, Mike Fowler, Brandon Vera, Ribeiro Bros, Ariel Medina, Alfredo Barum and Kurt Osiander.

Ive also trained Judo under Tim Mount, Kick Boxing/Wrestling under Ryan Bixler and on the TQ MMA Team under Terry Sokoudjou.

Martial arts has turned from a hobby into a part of my life and I've made a lot of solid friendships that Ill have for the rest of my life because of it.

Tribal Warfare
05-27-2014, 05:51 PM
In no way did I ever expect my kids to come home from school one day and tell me there was a karate school presentation and they were both interested.
5/6 yrs later many many nights taking them to the gym here we are closing in on 3 Black belt tests.
Its a good healthy yr long activity that is life long unlike other sports.
Good for their bodies and also their minds.
When we go away to big tournaments and I watch them hold their own perform well get up in front of all these people and not lose their concentration ..
well all I can say is my allergies sniff begin to act up. ;)

LOL, they hooked them when they were/are young

Mine was the Karate Kid and found the exact style that Mr. Miyagi was teaching Daniel LaRusso

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-27-2014, 09:37 PM
BLUE

Springfield Fight Club is a Gracie Barra affiliate, taught by a black belt. Theres another group in Republic now taught by a Caio Terra black belt. I think there's yet another place in Marshfield taught by a brown belt.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Goodbye my Coney Island Danielson...

It's time to branch out, man. How about some Sweet Adeline?

SAUTO
05-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Springfield Fight Club is a Gracie Barra affiliate, taught by a black belt. Theres another group in Republic now taught by a Caio Terra black belt. I think there's yet another place in Marshfield taught by a brown belt.

Who is the black belt at springfield fight club?

Wymer isn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Who is the black belt at springfield fight club?

Wymer isn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gabe.

http://springfieldfightclub.com

rico
05-27-2014, 10:52 PM
I go to the Mike Tyson Would Brutally Kick Bruce Lee's Ass in a Street Fight Academy.

I am also a Sumo wrassler.

Fansy the Famous Bard
05-27-2014, 11:05 PM

Both of those mean a lot to me and Ive respectfully turned down promotions because I want my belt lineage to be from instructors that I feel are well respected within the BJJ and MMA community.

Ive been fortunate enough to have trained under Amazing BJJ instructors in my time. Dean Lister, Tyrone Glover, Mike Fowler, Brandon Vera, Ribeiro Bros, Ariel Medina, Alfredo Barum and Kurt Osiander.

Ive also trained Judo under Tim Mount, Kick Boxing/Wrestling under Ryan Bixler and on the TQ MMA Team under Terry Sokoudjou.

Martial arts has turned from a hobby into a part of my life and I've made a lot of solid friendships that Ill have for the rest of my life because of it.

Wow, at one time Dean Lister was considered the best grappler in the world. That's an honor!

Jiu Jitsu Jon
05-27-2014, 11:30 PM
I go to the Mike Tyson Would Brutally Kick Bruce Lee's Ass in a Street Fight Academy.

I am also a Sumo wrassler.

You are not a Sumo wrestler. You just have a severe case of TEH DIABEETUS.

Chief_For_Life58
05-28-2014, 02:25 AM

rebeiros academy in sd? I trained at victory under Dean and jeff Glover for about a year. got my blue belt from Amal Easton in co. Tyrone would train there all the time while he was getting his law degree at cu. bjj is a small world. I need to get my purple just haven't had the time to really commit to training now that i'm back in school at ku.

Chief_For_Life58
05-28-2014, 02:29 AM
Clyde - I know acouple guys that train under osiander at his sf academy. is that where you train now? sound like a really slick academy

Clyde Frog
05-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Wow, at one time Dean Lister was considered the best grappler in the world. That's an honor!

He is still one of the best. Leg locks for days.

rebeiros academy in sd? I trained at victory under Dean and jeff Glover for about a year. got my blue belt from Amal Easton in co. Tyrone would train there all the time while he was getting his law degree at cu. bjj is a small world. I need to get my purple just haven't had the time to really commit to training now that i'm back in school at ku.

Yes UNIJJ in SD right down the street from Victory. Victory is a great school lots of good black belts that have different styles: Jeff, Dean, Shannon, Elias...
T$ is a slick grappler one of the smartest guys Ive ever met and ridiculously strong for being so small.
Rudy the GM @ Victory is a really good friend of mine.
Congrats on the Blue. Since there are so few belt colors; each one is a big accomplishment. Took me 4 years to go from White to Blue and another 4 to go from Blue to Purple because I kept going on and off. It gets frustrating but you gotta keep at it. Almost everyone who starts BJJ never makes it past blue.

Clyde - I know a couple guys that train under osiander at his sf academy. is that where you train now? sound like a really slick academy

Ralph Gracie Academy (Kurt's gym) was the last place I trained BJJ. First "big" school I went to. There were so many good grapplers there that I felt like a white belt all over again. Nice, spacious gym and Kurt is an excellent instructor.

The company I work for is going IPO soon so the work days got extra long and I had to chose between BJJ or american boxing so I went with boxing because the class hours were more convenient for my work schedule. Definitely going back to Kurt's after we go public.

Fire Me Boy!
05-28-2014, 11:48 AM
I got my blue belt in bjj in college but I haven't trained in about a year now

How many bjs do you have to give to get your blue belt?

LiveSteam
05-28-2014, 01:14 PM
I have a black belt.
Inside that black belt, I carry a gun I call, me kill you long time

Chief_For_Life58
05-28-2014, 01:16 PM
How many bjs do you have to give to get your blue belt?

oohhhh burn

Dayze
05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/29336/afro-ninja-o.gif

Fire Me Boy!
05-28-2014, 01:25 PM
oohhhh burn

This is what you meant:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzexacqQA51qh4box.gif

Dayze
05-28-2014, 01:26 PM
so hot. JFC

King_Chief_Fan
05-28-2014, 01:43 PM
I have a seat belt....trained by Chuck Norris

Fish
05-28-2014, 03:47 PM
so hot. JFC

I don't know. His afro is all disheveled, and he can't use those nunchucks worth a shit..

Groves
05-29-2014, 11:46 PM

SpringfieldBJJ is where our kids have trained. It's a great no-ego place owned by a brown belt under Caio Terra. www.SpringfieldBJJ.net

AGF is the American Grappling Federation. They're hosting the tourney here in Sprngfield June 21st. http://www.americangrapplingfederation.com/ai1ec_event/2014-springfield-mid-america-open/?instance_id=162

Dayze
05-30-2014, 12:18 AM
I don't know. His afro is all disheveled, and he can't use those nunchucks worth a shit..

Good point. I want a man who can protect me.