PDA

View Full Version : News POW Bowe Bergdahl is freed!

Rain Man
06-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Five years held by the Taliban, and the only US POW in Afghanistan. The US traded five Guantanamo detainees for him.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/31/world/meast/afghanistan-bergdahl-aboard-helicopter/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- It was another day in nearly five years of captivity for U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, and he didn't know what the 18 Taliban fighters had in store for him Saturday.

There, in the rugged mountains of eastern Afghanistan near the Pakistan border, the heavily armed fighters turned Bergdahl over to U.S. military commandos.

The soldier's plight had come to an end.

Within minutes he was airborne. The helicopter's rotors whooped so loudly that Bergdahl couldn't communicate clearly with the men on board.

So he grabbed a paper plate and wrote three characters: "SF?"

The men understood: Special Forces?

The U.S. commandos didn't bother to write back.

"Yes!" shouted at least one over the roar of the flight. "We've been looking for you for a long time!"

The long road to freedom began for Bergdahl with his capture on June 30, 2009, in Afghanistan's Paktika province, where he was deployed with the 25th Infantry Division.

The soldier disappeared after finishing a guard shift at a combat outpost.
It was about 4:30 a.m. when he was first reported missing, and by 7 a.m. his comrades began an all-out search to find him, according to secret military reports made public by WikiLeaks in 2010.

But there was no sign of the soldier. According to the reports, radio conversations between suspected militants picked up by U.S. reconnaissance aircraft confirmed he had been captured.

Conflicting details have since emerged about how the militants managed to capture Bergdahl. Published accounts have varied widely, from claims he walked off the post to another that he was grabbed from a latrine.

U.S. officials believe he was captured by the Taliban, but may have been held by the Haqqani Network, a terror group that operates along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. The group is aligned with the Taliban and al Qaeda.

In the ensuing years, there were occasional video clips released by his captors. The so-called proof-of-life videos appeared to show the soldier gaunt and disheveled. Over time, he appeared with a beard

The U.S. government acknowledged in May 2012 that it had been engaged in direct talks with the Taliban to free Bergdahl. The Taliban, according to officials, broke off those talks.

For more than year, there was no word of the soldier.

Then, in November 2013, the Taliban signaled it was prepared to talk, according to senior administration officials.

In return, the United States asked for proof of life, they said.

That proof came in December in the form of a video of Bergdahl, the first in three years. And it showed the effects years of captivity had on the soldier, who appeared haggard and unwell.

With neither U.S. officials or the Taliban trusting each other, Qatari officials took on the role of intermediary.

The negotiations began in earnest last week, with Qatar ferrying messages back and forth between U.S. officials and the Taliban.

It culminated in Doha, with the agreement that called for the handover of Bergdahl in exchange for five detainees held at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, the administration officials said.

As Taliban fighters headed with Bergdahl toward an agreed upon meeting point in Afghanistan, on the other side of the world Qataris officials were waiting for the five detainees to be released.

According to senior administration officials, the Qatari officials met the detainees on a runway at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.

How the Qataris signaled to the Taliban that the detainees were in the custody is unclear, and administration officials have not detailed the communications.

It was late afternoon Saturday in Afghanistan, about 10:30 a.m. ET, when Bergdahl surrounded by 18 Taliban fighters was led to a meeting point.

There, waiting, were U.S. commandos, according to the officials. In the air above, helicopter gunships circled.

Slowly, Bergdahl walked toward the commandos.

It is believed the soldier was searched by the commandos, who as a matter of protocol would check to make sure the Taliban had not strapped explosives on him.

Within a matter of minutes, Bergdahl was aboard a helicopter bound for Bagram Air Base.

On the helicopter, with the knowledge he was in the hands of Special Forces, Bergdahl broke down and cried.

He was free.

Baby Lee
06-01-2014, 02:04 AM
No mention that the exchange was for 5 detainees officially designated high risk?

No mention that Congress was not consulted?

DTLB58
06-01-2014, 02:30 AM
No mention that the exchange was for 5 detainees officially designated high risk?

Yeah, I heard about both of those on the NBC news last night.
I guess the rule is congress is suppose to be notified 30 days in advance of anyone being released from GITMO. But Prez said this was a special opportunity and was all throw together in about a week. They didn't want to compromise the deal with this getting out.

I was taken aback when I read that it was a prisoner exchange.

Listen, I'm by no means one of the political pros in the D.C. Area here. All I know is, if it were one of my sons they were trying to get out. :thumb:

Baby Lee
06-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I heard about both of those on the NBC news last night.
I guess the rule is congress is suppose to be notified 30 days in advance of anyone being released from GITMO. But Prez said this was a special opportunity and was all throw together in about a week. They didn't want to compromise the deal with this getting out.

I was taken aback when I read that it was a prisoner exchange.

Listen, I'm by no means one of the political pros in the D.C. Area here. All I know is, if it were one of my sons they were trying to get out. :thumb:

Ironically, an actual exercise of the previously loathed signed statement.

Iconic
06-01-2014, 03:26 AM
Nice story. Glad to start my day off with something positive.

TambaBerry
06-01-2014, 03:58 AM
They will start taking more people hostage now that they know we will make deals with them. With that said good for that guy getting out of a shitty situation, I just hope it's not like the tv show homeland.

ChiliConCarnage
06-01-2014, 04:23 AM
They will start taking more people hostage now that they know we will make deals with them. With that said good for that guy getting out of a shitty situation, I just hope it's not like the tv show homeland.

I'm lost on the logic here. You think they've had tons of opportunities and it never occurred to them or you're worried instead of killing US soldiers they'll start capturing some? Wouldn't being alive be preferable?

I'm glad this kid is freed but I dislike the idea of negotiating with terrorists or their supporters.

nstygma
06-01-2014, 04:23 AM
Is there a way to implant a tracking device into these 5 detainees?
Swap them, track them, drone them?

TambaBerry
06-01-2014, 04:40 AM
I'm lost on the logic here. You think they've had tons of opportunities and it never occurred to them or you're worried instead of killing US soldiers they'll start capturing some? Wouldn't being alive be preferable?

I'm glad this kid is freed but I dislike the idea of negotiating with terrorists or their supporters.

I'm saying we never negotiated before, why start now? They will start capturing our guys so we can trade our guy for their guys.

ChiliConCarnage
06-01-2014, 05:10 AM
I'm saying we never negotiated before, why start now? They will start capturing our guys so we can trade our guy for their guys.

Congress passed changes that make it easier to move the prisoners out of the Guantanamo prisons. The president couldn't have done this at all a year ago... and obviously broke the rules now.

We're committed to closing the Guantanamo prisons this year. The detainees legally can't be transferred to the US. We're not going to have any of "their guys" to trade. They all have to be sent somewhere else.

If you have the ability to capture someone you easily had the ability to kill them. I'd rather see someone captured than shot to death. Capturing POWs is how a civilized war should work.

redshirt32
06-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Happy for him and his family, sure he is dam glad to be home and his family

No need to contact congress fuck you guys, might as well go home your not needed any more, I've got my red pen and red phone.
But you know I tried help the Vets but most vote Rep so fuck them too just some bone headed decisions that's all sorry we don't target the other side knowingly ........

Sad for the future deaths or torture that the five let go will reap on there own women and children and the next captive US solider, or US citizen or non citizen what ever....

Baby Lee
06-01-2014, 06:16 AM

Probably nothing that wouldn't be removed immediately. If they're awake, they know where it's planted, and if they're anesthetized they'd immediately order a body scan.

milkman
06-01-2014, 06:36 AM
"civilized war"

Oxymoron much?

KCUnited
06-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Carl spent his summers on vacation, Dorsey negotiates hostage trades.

Rausch
06-01-2014, 07:45 AM

1) Get our guy back.

2) Track each one of these fucks down and drone their asses...

BigRichard
06-01-2014, 07:54 AM
At the end of the day I am happy the guy is home but there is a reason we don't negotiate with terrorists. This does not help matters in the least.

Marcellus
06-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I am glad he is home but I find it hard to believe its a coincidence Obama OK'd this so soon after the head of the VA stepped down over all of the controversy and mismanagement.

Seems awfully timely to me. Good for Bo I guess.

Cheater5
06-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Yay, I guess.

Bergdahl deserted his unit and left his post while forward deployed to combat. He wasn't captured, he walked into the Taleban's arms. EVERYTHING STOPPED in Afghanistan looking for this moron, who also made traitorous remarks about the United States, our mission in Afghanistan, and his own actions which were filmed by our enemy.

Innumerable man-hours of people putting their lives at risk to find him over five years, millions upon millions of dollars wasted, and assets and attention focused on finding his ass which could/SHOULD have been used for other more useful purposes.

Again, yay- have a parade and call him a hero.:rolleyes:

Marcellus
06-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Yay, I guess.

Bergdahl deserted his unit and left his post while forward deployed to combat. He wasn't captured, he walked into the Taleban's arms. EVERYTHING STOPPED in Afghanistan looking for this moron, who also made traitorous remarks about the United States, our mission in Afghanistan, and his own actions which were filmed by our enemy.

Innumerable man-hours of people putting their lives at risk to find him over five years, millions upon millions of dollars wasted, and assets and attention focused on finding his ass which could/SHOULD have been used for other more useful purposes.

This is what I thought happened, I was kind of waiting to see what will come out of all of this. I am sure Obama will promote him again and give him a ton of back pay.

If he did desert he needs to be court martialed and dishonorably discharged. I would give him time served as the 5 years with the Taliban couldn't have been fun regardless of how he got there.

AndChiefs
06-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Ahh, the old one-fifth rule.

Cheater5
06-01-2014, 08:42 AM
For 30 straight days damn near every unit in AFG was actively looking for this guy. How many men died looking for Bergdahl is unknown...yes, the Taliban knew we'd come, and set ambush after ambush laden with IEDs along likely ingress routes. How many American deaths are on the hands of those five booger-eaters we released? Here's an interesting tweet from Bergdahl's father, who also delivered a message in Pashto to his son's captors yesterday on the White House lawn. Whatever it takes to free your traitorous son, I guess.

Baby Lee
06-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Yay, I guess.

I thought he was that nerd that was killing everyone in Kansas City in the 80s.

BigRedChief
06-01-2014, 08:54 AM
It's a 2014 version of an exchange of POW's. The Israeli's have been exchanging terrorists for their troops lost to the enemy. They have released hundreds just to retrieve the bodies of fallen soldiers. They are not exactly known as terrorists coddlers.:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Israeli_prisoner_exchanges

I think the principle of never leaving a soldier behind in war allows the soldiers to fight their hardest. Allows them to feel confident they will not be forgotten if they get caught behind enemy lines.

BigRedChief
06-01-2014, 09:00 AM
1) Get our guy back.

2) Track each one of these fucks down and drone their asses...Would anyone be surprised if they have tracking devices in them? We already have publicly published nano tech that can be place in food/water without the target's knowledge and then tracked.

WhawhaWhat
06-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Anyone that votes No is probably a terrible person.

TambaBerry
06-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Wrong

Cheater5
06-01-2014, 09:15 AM
It's a 2014 version of an exchange of POW's. The Israeli's have been exchanging terrorists for their troops lost to the enemy. They have released hundreds just to retrieve the bodies of fallen soldiers. They are not exactly known as terrorists coddlers.:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Israeli_prisoner_exchanges

I think the principle of never leaving a soldier behind in war allows the soldiers to fight their hardest. Allows them to feel confident they will not be forgotten if they get caught behind enemy lines.

How is that working out for the Israeli's? I do not care what Israel, UK, France or anyone else does when dealing with identified terrorist organizations. It's weak international policy. We should dictate terms.

Regarding your second point; I respect what you have done over the years supporting the troops downrange. However, don't speak for what you 'think' they feel. Check out the Army Times story on this and look at the comments from the Soldiers who were in Bergdahl's platoon; not so supportive.

This dumbass left of his own will- he was not captured or separated. His actions cost lives. He is NOT A VICTIM, so don't make him out to be.

Chief Roundup
06-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Our governments doctors should have given those worthless fucks a disease that would show up after they were back with their Taliban buddies that would have been contagious and killed them all.

hometeam
06-01-2014, 10:23 AM
they need to implant nano-gps things under these guys skins before they trade them. Problem solved~

You know they have that shit.

hometeam
06-01-2014, 10:26 AM

I think that the people voting no are looking at the fact that those 5 guys have not only cost American lives, but will almost certainly bolster operations which will continue to do the same.

1 living guy for 10 dead ones.

In that sense, no, I don't think that sentiment makes them a horrible person.

Chief_For_Life58
06-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Our governments doctors should have given those worthless ****s a disease that would show up after they were back with their Taliban buddies that would have been contagious and killed them all.

that would be way too awesome for our beta male president to do

beach tribe
06-01-2014, 11:25 AM

I would not doubt it that these killers did just that.

Mr. Laz
06-01-2014, 11:44 AM
flawed choices for poll

'good for both sides'?

i doubt anyone gives a fuck about what is good for the other side.

getting one of our own back is good

Chief Roundup
06-01-2014, 11:47 AM
I would not doubt it that these killers did just that.

Who are the killers you are referring to?

Mr. Laz
06-01-2014, 11:51 AM

fuck congress ... those worthless asshats would have argued about it for a month and then started taking bid from special interest groups about which what they should vote on it.

The whole lot is corrupt as hell.

FloridaMan88
06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
If this guy willingly walked away from his unit, as has been speculated then he should be charged with being AWOL.

Sorter
06-01-2014, 11:58 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e3/NicholasBrody.jpg/220px-NicholasBrody.jpg

Bowser
06-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Anybody else read the title as "POW! Bowe Bergdahl is freed!"?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e3/NicholasBrody.jpg/220px-NicholasBrody.jpg

Heh. Are you saying Bergdahl is a deep cover triple agent?

ping2000
06-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Injected with AIDS and bacon grease.

Moon§hiner
06-01-2014, 12:47 PM
For some reason, I'm reminded of a Gilligans Island episode where Mrs. Howell gets kidnapped by Don Rickles.

Sorter
06-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Anybody else read the title as "POW! Bowe Bergdahl is freed!"?

Heh. Are you saying Bergdahl is a deep cover triple agent?

Isn't there a rumor this POW was a deserter?

Cheater5
06-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Isn't there a rumor this POW was a deserter?

It's not a rumor. He removed his body armor, left his weapon and walked off the FOB with three Afghans seeking to smoke some hashish. They in turn introduced him to their Taleban friends.

Iowanian
06-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I can only hope we proided each of those detainees a new blanket with some pox fabric softener.

Sorter
06-01-2014, 01:09 PM
It's not a rumor. He removed his body armor, left his weapon and walked off the FOB with three Afghans seeking to smoke some hashish. They in turn introduced him to their Taleban friends.

Okay, the alarm bells are definitely ringing now.

Braincase
06-01-2014, 01:17 PM
No man left behind.

Unless it makes the Dem administration look like they did something right for a change... in that case, f* 'em.

Cheater5
06-01-2014, 01:44 PM
No man left behind.

Unless it makes the Dem administration look like they did something right for a change... in that case, f* 'em.

Of course everyone wants Bergdahl back, even though his stupidity cost lives and untold amounts of resources. But was this the best course of action to retrieve him?

I think along the spectrum of options utilizing our elements of national power- this was poorly executed for reasons highlighted in previous posts.

alnorth
06-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Whether or not I agree with the decision to do the exchange, I'm fine with the president basically ignoring the Gitmo rules and making this decision on his own, and political party has nothing to do with it.

This is basically a military matter. Either the president is commander in chief or he's not. I don't believe Congress should need to be consulted for this sort of thing.

alnorth
06-01-2014, 03:16 PM
At the end of the day I am happy the guy is home but there is a reason we don't negotiate with terrorists. This does not help matters in the least.

This wasn't a hostage situation. Our military was on the ground fighting another armed force which was, yes, not the army of a state but we were still fighting them on a battlefield. Prisoner capture and POW exchange between armies is an old and recognized practice.

If someone has a bomb and is making demands thats different, but our military was on the ground fighting them, we captured some of their guys, they captured one of ours, and after 5 years we finally traded.

mlyonsd
06-01-2014, 03:21 PM
This wasn't a hostage situation. Our military was on the ground fighting another armed force which was, yes, not the army of a state but we were still fighting them on a battlefield. Prisoner capture and exchange between armies is an old and recognized practice.

If someone has a bomb and is making demands thats different, but our military was on the ground fighting them, we captured some of their guys, they captured one of ours, and after 5 years we finally traded.We aren't fighting an army. We're fighting terrorists that want to kill us because of religious beliefs. They are animals, not an army.

jjjayb
06-01-2014, 03:25 PM
This wasn't a hostage situation. Our military was on the ground fighting another armed force which was, yes, not the army of a state but we were still fighting them on a battlefield. Prisoner capture and POW exchange between armies is an old and recognized practice.

If someone has a bomb and is making demands thats different, but our military was on the ground fighting them, we captured some of their guys, they captured one of ours, and after 5 years we finally traded.

It's never a good thing when a President can ignore existing law at will. There is a reason we have 3 branches of government. What other laws do you think it is ok for the president to ignore?

Mr. Laz
06-01-2014, 03:34 PM
U.S. definitely got ripped off in the trade ... 5 for 1?

Our negotiators must have gone to the same school as Dorsey.

jjjayb
06-01-2014, 04:01 PM

Even worse, we traded 5 prisoners for a deserter.

Valiant
06-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Good that he is back, but at what cost.

Obama just negotiated with terrorists for a prisoner exchange. Now the precedent is set that he will negotiate.

Dunerdr
06-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I'm not even going to give my input because I feel guilty that I think getting an American pow out if a crime against freedom.

Dunerdr
06-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Actually it looks like everyone else is pissed we turned loose 5 freedom haters as well. Thanks a lot Obama.PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA looking for this deserter.

Rain Man
06-01-2014, 05:18 PM

Well, there's a formula for media coverage of disasters that says something like 1 American = 5 Europeans = 20 Japanese = 100 Koreans = 10,000 Africans, South Americans, or Middle Easterners. So from that standpoint we got a screaming deal.

Rain Man
06-01-2014, 05:19 PM

That was a dumb move.

redshirt32
06-01-2014, 05:22 PM
30 more months of the ass clown

Eleazar
06-01-2014, 05:59 PM
One of our guys is worth 1000 of those goat humpers, irrespective of the process by which this came about

Eleazar
06-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Actually it looks like everyone else is pissed we turned loose 5 freedom haters as well. Thanks a lot Obama.PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA looking for this deserter.

I think it sends a positive message. Even though he did what he did, we still didn't give up, even for a deserter

Rain Man
06-01-2014, 06:16 PM
It seems like a roughly even split of those who approve of the trade versus those who disapprove.

Reading through the thread, it seems like the issue is how we define the six players who were traded. Were they POWs, in which case trades are common and accepted in most circles, or is this a case of negotiating with terrorists, which is condemned in most circles?

I think you can make a good argument for each side, but in my opinion Bergdahl was clearly a POW. He was a uniformed part of a military operation and he got captured while part of that operation (whether he deserted or not). I don't think you can argue that one side has POWs and the other side doesn't, so by default I would have to call the five Gitmorons POWs as well.

If you believe that they're terrorists, then you would have to call Bergdahl a hostage. While a reasonable person could make that argument, I think the POW argument is stronger. So I'm happy about a POW trade.

I'll be even happier if we're tracking those five guys and do a #6 on them as they rejoin their units.

Chief Roundup
06-01-2014, 06:29 PM

I would like to see a link to the story about this information.

MIAdragon
06-01-2014, 06:43 PM
this kid can die in a fire, we should have left his ass.

BigRedChief
06-01-2014, 06:47 PM
How is that working out for the Israeli's?They seem happy with the system because they keep making the exchanges.
However, don't speak for what you 'think' they feel.I was adresseing the feeling of troops in general. Not this specific individual or this war. I don't think its a stretch to say that troops will fight harder and longer if they feel their brothers in arms and their leaders will do everything to get them back if they fall into enemies hands.
This dumbass left of his own will- he was not captured or separated. His actions cost lives. He is NOT A VICTIM, so don't make him out to be.I walked past a picture of Bergdahl labeled "Don't Forget" twice a day for four years. I'm well aware of the details and the apathy among some troops about him as an individual. Some were pissed off about the poster by the entrance.

I have no idea what he was thinking. PTSD makes otherwise "normal" people make bad decisions and really harmful things to their self's and others. Again, I don't know if this is the case or not. Just a possibility and a benefit of doubt situation until we know otherwise. Just my two cents.

alnorth
06-01-2014, 07:24 PM
It's never a good thing when a President can ignore existing law at will. There is a reason we have 3 branches of government. What other laws do you think it is ok for the president to ignore?

He's the commander in chief. The law saying he has to ask permission from congress, other than declaring war, to handle a purely military matter is probably unconstitutional.

KCBOSS1
06-01-2014, 09:37 PM
have snipers ready, make exchange, get our boy, gun everybody else down.

alnorth
06-01-2014, 11:39 PM
have snipers ready, make exchange, get our boy, gun everybody else down.

You can't do that. Presumably we'll be in another war someday and have another enemy. If you do not negotiate in good faith on POW swaps, then there are no such thing as American POW's in future wars, only executed American soldiers who may or may not have been tortured first.

Saying "oh that was the Taliban, they were different, we'll totally let your guys go, promise" won't fly.

alnorth
06-01-2014, 11:44 PM
By the way, this is a consequence for that silly paranoid attitude from some about not bringing "Captured enemy combatants" into the states to face trial. If these guys were convicted under our laws in our court systems, the president would have to pardon them first, which is probably not politically possible, at least not with 2 years left.

Instead, whatever we all want to call them, they are basically POW's held by our military and outside of our criminal system, and so the president can almost do whatever the hell he or she wants with them.

Dunerdr
06-02-2014, 04:19 AM
Woke up and this isn't in dc. I got to get in on this action!

ChiliConCarnage
06-02-2014, 06:17 AM
It seems like a roughly even split of those who approve of the trade versus those who disapprove.

I'll be even happier if we're tracking those five guys and do a #6 on them as they rejoin their units.

I think some people disapprove due to misunderstanding. Several people have mentioned what you did in your last sentence. These guys aren't rejoining their units; They are not being freed. They're being transferred from being detainees at Guantanamo to being detainees in Qatar. They're receiving better accomodations than they likely would have got without the deal and I'm sure a huge perk is family being able to visit.

The only concern would be escape from Qatar but I don't think Qatar would have taken them if they had any worries about being able to detain them. 30 countries had servicemen or women die removing these ****heads from power. It's safe to say it would be incredibly unpopular if they escaped.

Dragonocho
06-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Apparently the Dad, after a photo op with Obama, tweeted that he was still working to get all the detainees released at Guantanamo. Son deserts his unit, is captured, 5+ Soldiers killed looking for him. Send the family to live with the Taliban.

http://twitchy.com/2014/05/31/working-to-free-all-guantanamo-prisoners-tweet-from-account-of-released-soldiers-father-deleted/

Bwana
06-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Apparently the Dad, after a photo op with Obama, tweeted that he was still working to get all the detainees released at Guantanamo. Son deserts his unit, is captured, 5+ Soldiers killed looking for him. Send the family to live with the Taliban.

http://twitchy.com/2014/05/31/working-to-free-all-guantanamo-prisoners-tweet-from-account-of-released-soldiers-father-deleted/

Is there something in the water in ID? What a messed up family.

gonefishin53
06-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Is there something in the water in ID? What a messed up family.

Hailey and Blaine County Idaho are a radical authoritarian leftist enclave. Blaine County is the only county in Idaho that Obama won a majority of votes.

As for Bowe Bergdahl, CNN interviewed the soldiers in his unit and they claim he deserted and may have aided the Taliban in their efforts to maim and kill members of the unit he deserted. According to surviving members of the unit(six died and many more were wounded in the search for deserter Bergdahl), the Taliban became much more adept at targeting and killing members of their unit immediately following Bergdahl's desertion. As a veteran, I hope Bergdahl is charged and tried for desertion and treason. The truth needs to be heard.

Cheater5
06-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Hailey and Blaine County Idaho are a radical authoritarian leftist enclave. Blaine County is the only county in Idaho that Obama won a majority of votes.

As for Bowe Bergdahl, CNN interviewed the soldiers in his unit and they claim he deserted and may have aided the Taliban in their efforts to maim and kill members of the unit he deserted. According to surviving members of the unit(six died and many more were wounded in the search for deserter Bergdahl), the Taliban became much more adept at targeting and killing members of their unit immediately following Bergdahl's desertion. As a veteran, I hope Bergdahl is charged and tried for desertion and treason. The truth needs to be heard.

Roger that. Dude is a turd x 10000.

ndws
06-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Our governments doctors should have given those worthless ****s a disease that would show up after they were back with their Taliban buddies that would have been contagious and killed them all.

Kinda like ant bait. I like it.

kepp
06-02-2014, 07:46 AM
He's the commander in chief. The law saying he has to ask permission from congress, other than declaring war, to handle a purely military matter is probably unconstitutional.

Then it should be challenged and struck down if found unconstitutional. Until then, it's law.

Eleazar
06-02-2014, 07:58 AM
The more I read about him the worse I feel for the families of the guys who gave their lives to get him back.

alnorth
06-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Then it should be challenged and struck down if found unconstitutional. Until then, it's law.

You do not have to strike down an unconstitutional law before you ignore it. (edit: presuming a court has never said anything about the law yet, of course) Believe it or not, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court said as much in a recent gay marriage case, when the president stopped defending the law but kept enforcing it, Roberts remarked that the president didn't have the courage of his convictions, meaning if you really don't think a law is constitutional, then don't enforce it until a court says you are wrong.

If the president thinks a law is unconstitutional, and ANY law which impairs his ability to negotiate a POW transfer clearly is unconstitutional, then he can just ignore it. Its up to whoever is harmed by that to take the president to court, win there, and get the court to force him to comply.

Cheater5
06-02-2014, 08:14 AM
The more I read about him the worse I feel for the families of the guys who gave their lives to get him back.

I believe Bergdahl to be at worst a traitorous dirtbag, and at the very least an incompetent deserter. However, I'd still risk my life to go get him and so would any professional Soldier. It's what is expected of us and is part of our creed.

But, that doesn't mean I support the exchange of five high value targets to get him back. And I also believe he should be held accountable for every single article under the UCMJ he might have violated. His five years in captivity do not wash this away.

He embarrassed the Army, his unit, and violated nearly every aspect of the Code of Conduct. He doesn't (shouldn't) get to go home and pick up his life where it left off.

ForeverChiefs58
06-02-2014, 08:26 AM
I think some people disapprove due to misunderstanding. Several people have mentioned what you did in your last sentence. These guys aren't rejoining their units; They are not being freed. They're being transferred from being detainees at Guantanamo to being detainees in Qatar. They're receiving better accomodations than they likely would have got without the deal and I'm sure a huge perk is family being able to visit.

The only concern would be escape from Qatar but I don't think Qatar would have taken them if they had any worries about being able to detain them. 30 countries had servicemen or women die removing these ****heads from power. It's safe to say it would be incredibly unpopular if they escaped.

Afghans say Taliban prisoners freed by U.S. will rejoin battle

KABUL (Reuters) - The release of five Taliban prisoners in exchange for a U.S. soldier has drawn criticism from some Afghans, who say the detainees are dangerous and will rekindle ties with terrorist networks to resume fighting, just as most foreign troops leave.

The men had been held at the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba since 2002 and were classed by the Pentagon as "high-risk" and "likely to pose a threat".

Two are also implicated in the murder of thousands of minority Shi'ite Muslims in Afghanistan, according to the U.S. military.

They were released in a swap with U.S. army sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, the sole American prisoner of war held in Afghanistan who was flown to a U.S. military hospital in Germany on Sunday.

"They will definitely go back to fight, if health-wise they are able to go," said a top official at Afghanistan's spy agency, who asked to remain anonymous because of the sensitivity of the topic.

"They will be very dangerous people, because they have connections with regional and international terror organizations around the world."

The Taliban denied the prisoners would return to battle but said the swap should not be regarded as a gesture of good will or a step towards the revival of peace talks between Islamist insurgents and the Afghan government.

"This is purely a negotiation between the Taliban and the Americans... It won't help the peace process in any way, because we don't believe in the peace process," said Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid.

The prisoners would return to their families and live in Qatar - the Gulf emirate that brokered the exchange - where they would lead normal lives, he added.

LOOSE ENDS

The prisoner swap comes just days after the United States announced plans to withdraw all but 9,800 troops from Afghanistan by the end of the year and the rest by 2016.

Many senior Afghan officials and diplomats say the drawdown will happen much faster than expected and reflects a U.S. desire to disengage from Afghanistan as quickly as possible.

The prisoner swap is further evidence of U.S. efforts to tie up as many loose ends as possible before leaving, diplomats say.

"They have made a mess of things," said one Western diplomat, frustrated with the pace of the drawdown.

In a further reflection of the rupture in relations between the two countries, the United States did not inform President Hamid Karzai's government about the swap in advance.

His palace declined to comment.

On the streets of the capital Kabul many expressed anger at the decision to release the five men, a contrast with scenes of celebration in Bergdahl's home town in Idaho.

"This decision showed that the region, Afghanistan and its people aren’t worth anything to American government," said Gul Mohammad, a high school teacher.

"Otherwise, why would they swap a useless army soldier who broke the law with the five most dangerous Taliban fighters?"

Some among Afghanistan's security forces also expressed unease about the release, which comes as the Taliban's summer offensive gathers pace ahead of a second round of voting in the presidential election on June 14.

"This act will boost the Taliban's morale and encourage them to fight harder to capture foreign soldiers. Now they are confident that their efforts won't be wasted," said army colonel Asadullah Samadi.

bdj23
06-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Well no shit?

jjjayb
06-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Interesting article in Rolling Stone magazine about this shitbag.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607?print=true

"The future is too good to waste on lies," Bowe wrote. "And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

The e-mail went on to list a series of complaints: Three good sergeants, Bowe said, had been forced to move to another company, and "one of the biggest shit bags is being put in charge of the team." His battalion commander was a "conceited old fool." The military system itself was broken: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing shit bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools." The soldiers he actually admired were planning on leaving: "The US army is the biggest joke the world has to laugh at. It is the army of liars, backstabbers, fools, and bullies. The few good SGTs are getting out as soon as they can, and they are telling us privates to do the same."

In the second-to-last paragraph of the e-mail, Bowe wrote about his broader disgust with America's approach to the war – an effort, on the ground, that seemed to represent the exact opposite of the kind of concerted campaign to win the "hearts and minds" of average Afghans envisioned by counterinsurgency strategists. "I am sorry for everything here," Bowe told his parents. "These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live." He then referred to what his parents believe may have been a formative, possibly traumatic event: seeing an Afghan child run over by an MRAP. "We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them."

Bowe concluded his e-mail with what, in another context, might read as a suicide note. "I am sorry for everything," he wrote. "The horror that is america is disgusting." Then he signed off with a final message to his mother and father. "There are a few more boxes coming to you guys," he said, referring to his uniform and books, which he had already packed up and shipped off. "Feel free to open them, and use them."

Bergdahl and Obama should get along great. They are both ashamed of America.

R8RFAN
06-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Yea we got ripped, 1 Deserter that wanted to be there for 5 hardened US Military killers that will kill again soon and the deserter will probably flee back there if he gets the chance.

R8RFAN
06-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Also this story was an offset to the late Friday media dump of the resignations Friday and the negative GDP numbers...

Rain Man
06-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Boy, reading this thread is an eye opener. I hadn't paid that much attention to the case and assumed that the guy had been captured. Apparently not.

This article is pretty interesting along the lines of "Bergdahl is an idiot and possibly worse": http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Given that his father seems quite weird, I figure the younger Bergdahl has been brought up to question and criticize everything. If you have that life philosophy, you probably shouldn't join the military.

I may request a mod to remove the exclamation point from my thread title.

R8RFAN
06-02-2014, 10:17 AM
6 soldiers killed searching for ‘deserter’ POW, fueling backlash
http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/six-soldiers-died-searching-for-deserter-pow-fueling-backlash/

Deberg_1990
06-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Has it been proven he was a deserter or just speculation? I haven't been following this closely.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
06-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Hope he gets brought back and put in Leavenworth for a long time.

R8RFAN
06-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Has it been proven he was a deserter or just speculation? I haven't been following this closely.
Posted via Mobile Device

“He left his guard post. Nobody knows if he defected or he’s a traitor or he was kidnapped. What I do know is he was there to protect us and instead he decided to defer from America and go and do his own thing. I don’t know why he decided to do that, but we spend so much of our resources and some of those resources were soldiers’ lives.”

according to the link I posted earlier

Donger
06-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Speculation with a large amount of corresponding evidence.

Deberg_1990
06-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Wow, interesting. well hopefully he's prosecuted under the UCMJ if they determine he deserted.

But I doubt it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
06-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Hope he gets brought back and put in Leavenworth for a long time.

To me it doesn't matter what he is.

1) We get him home.

2) We evaluate his mental state and decide what to do with him from there.

3) We do whatever we have to making sure those we released are as dead as disco.

BigBeauford
06-02-2014, 10:38 AM
The dude is hot garbage as a soldier, but he served his time, and aged 20 years in the process.

The Franchise
06-02-2014, 10:41 AM
The dude is hot garbage as a soldier, but he served his time, and aged 20 years in the process.

Served what time exactly? 5 years as a prisoner? Great. Now he can be tried for the fact that 6 people died trying to rescue him and we had to give up 5 high ranking officials to get him back. Fuck this dude.

Deberg_1990
06-02-2014, 10:44 AM

It still doesn't change the fact that he broke military law. (allegedly)

If a soldier deserts in the states they eventually track him down and prosecute.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigBeauford
06-02-2014, 10:50 AM
I understand what UCMJ dictates, I understand this guy sucks really really badly. But I am indifferent as to whether or not he gets punished. Neither route would shock me too badly, and there is no possible way to replicate what he had to endure for his idiotic mistake.

OmahaChief
06-02-2014, 10:51 AM

Got to admit it was the first thing I thought when I heard this story.

Rain Man
06-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I understand what UCMJ dictates, I understand this guy sucks really really badly. But I am indifferent as to whether or not he gets punished. Neither route would shock me too badly, and there is no possible way to replicate what he had to endure for his idiotic mistake.

Idiotic is a good word for it. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like he thought he could just start walking to China and stop at a Hardee's whenever he got hungry. It sounds like he probably lasted about an hour. It sounds like he's not so much a traitor as he is really ignorant and naive.

R8RFAN
06-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Idiotic is a good word for it. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like he thought he could just start walking to China and stop at a Hardee's whenever he got hungry. It sounds like he probably lasted about an hour. It sounds like he's not so much a traitor as he is really ignorant and naive.

The apple rarely falls far from the tree...

Go research his Dad

BigBeauford
06-02-2014, 10:57 AM
It still doesn't change the fact that he broke military law. (allegedly)

If a soldier deserts in the states they eventually track him down and prosecute.
Posted via Mobile Device

And in the United States, those guys are sucking down Cheeseburgers, booze, still can see their families, and have relationship. Having been to Afghanistan, I can tell you, 5 years as a captive out there, I would have offed myself. There is no way we won't be haunted the rest of his life for what he went through, and spending taxpayer dollars to try him would be a waste. He would probably benefit from being throw into the can tbh.

mikey23545
06-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Interesting article in Rolling Stone magazine about this shitbag.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/americas-last-prisoner-of-war-20120607?print=true

Bergdah, Alnorth, cosmo20002, Sully, KCnative, LoneIguana, etc, and Obama should get along great. They are all ashamed of America.

FYP.

hawkchief
06-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Just another anti-American move by our dictator in chief. No surprise here whatsoever.

LiveSteam
06-02-2014, 12:02 PM
LOL. reports are coming out, that this wanna be solder has converted to Islam & refuses to speak in English

Jimmya
06-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Tough situation, but glad he's out.

Discuss Thrower
06-02-2014, 12:07 PM
The guy indirectly (or directly) got 5 of his fellow soldiers killed, wasn't highly regarded by his unit and is thought to have deserted for all intents and purposes by many people in the know.

It doesn't matter if he intentionally went AWOL to join the Taliban or not. He's about to about to be white knighted and awarded solely because having him face a court-martial would reflect negatively upon the current administration.

We'll never find out the truth about this guy, and it seems to me the evidence points to the fact that an investigation needs to be launched to determine this fact but one will never happen.

ForeverChiefs58
06-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Couldn't they have gotten this poor guy thrown in?

http://youtu.be/3Bx8mH9_BTg

Mr. Laz
06-02-2014, 02:46 PM

http://109.imagebam.com/download/XhtjfCzwbWEC6fyyXnRJaA/33062/330619363/2_o.jpg

Xanathol
06-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Get him home, knock him out, plant an IED & GPS in his ass and end him back. When he meets his friends, send them all to meet their maker.

Easy 6
06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Well, the two conflicting stories need to be cleared up... did he a) lag behind on a patrol and get caught that way, or did he b) drop his armor and weapon to go get high like some say?

In the end, I think this is a good thing either way... if he's guilty of desertion, then how much punishment is enough, is not being in direct fear of your life for 5 years not enough punishment, bowing and scraping to those people every day for your life?

Either way, an American came home to his parents and can begin to rebuild his life... if he was guilty of dereliction of duty, then tell me how many other disillusioned soldiers almost suffered his same fate.

The 5 guys released, man who really knows what measures might've been taken on them... for all anyone knows, a night or two before the swap they were gassed out while they slept and chipped, with them in our custody up until the swap almost anything is possible.

All five will eventually be found and killed but atleast one American gets to come home... as for the men who might've died trying to find him, I just cant speak to that yet, Cheater5 made some strong accusations but I need more than that to feel terrible about this guys life being saved.

But yes, if soldiers died looking for a guy who left his post looking to get high... then its all tainted.

But of all the things to destroy the Obammy admin over, this is waaaaaay down the list IMO.

Fish
06-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Get him home, knock him out, plant an IED & GPS in his ass and end him back. When he meets his friends, send them all to meet their maker.

Yeah. Let's kill him! And other people!

:facepalm:

jjjayb
06-02-2014, 04:25 PM
In the end, I think this is a good thing either way... if he's guilty of desertion, then how much punishment is enough, is not being in direct fear of your life for 5 years not enough punishment, bowing and scraping to those people every day for your life?

If he not only deserted, but also gave info to the Taliban to help them kill United States soldiers, what punishment would be enough? Would the trade still be okay?

Bwana
06-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Wow this isn't looking good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-son-died.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2646345/EXCLUSIVE-Outraged-parents-officer-died-searching-deserter-Bergdahl-hit-Obama-cover-just-like-Benghazi-claiming-told-LIES-hero-son-died.html)

Easy 6
06-02-2014, 05:16 PM
If he not only deserted, but also gave info to the Taliban to help them kill United States soldiers, what punishment would be enough? Would the trade still be okay?

Right now, it pretty hard to say what info he might've given up that cost lives... he's an E-5, the most junior rank in leadership, the info he had was pretty limited.

Even then, and I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that laws were changed during Vietnam so that it isnt considered treason to give up info during torture.

But yeah, there are still some unresolved angles to this thing and who knows if we'll ever get the real answers... I dont want to trump up some idiot as a "hero", but at the same time, until all known facts are out I'm glad he didnt get beheaded or shuffled off into middle east slavery of some kind.

If some lost their lives in pursuit of him while he was sneaking out for a hash buzz, then yeah, it changes the picture. But it doesnt change that atleast the guys back home with his own... while I'm on the subject, think about Vietnam, how many stories have we all heard about this same guy during those days?

At any rate, I just hope for the best for every family involved over there, what a mess it was and is.

Marcellus
06-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Right now, it pretty hard to say what info he might've given up that cost lives... he's an E-5, the most junior rank in leadership, the info he had was pretty limited.

Even then, and I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that laws were changed during Vietnam so that it isnt considered treason to give up info during torture.

But yeah, there are still some unresolved angles to this thing and who knows if we'll ever get the real answers... I dont want to trump up some idiot as a "hero", but at the same time, until all known facts are out I'm glad he didnt get beheaded or shuffled off into middle east slavery of some kind.

If some lost their lives in pursuit of him while he was sneaking out for a hash buzz, then yeah, it changes the picture. But it doesnt change that atleast the guys back home with his own... while I'm on the subject, think about Vietnam, how many stories have we all heard about this same guy during those days?

At any rate, I just hope for the best for every family involved over there, what a mess it was and is.

He wasn't an E-5 when he deserted. The military gave him promotions while he was "missing".

Easy 6
06-02-2014, 05:22 PM
He wasn't an E-5 when he deserted. The military gave him promotions while he was "missing".

So what.

BigRedChief
06-02-2014, 05:33 PM
He wasn't an E-5 when he deserted. The military gave him promotions while he was "missing".There was grumblings about the poster and the promotions among the troops. There were some seriously pissed off troops over both decisions. They felt betrayed. On the other hand, at meetings when he was brought up the HOOAH's were loud.

jjjayb
06-02-2014, 05:39 PM

He didn't sneak out to smoke hash. He planned for a while to go awol. I'm curious if he meant to join the Taliban when he went Awol. Based on his letters home and state of mind, he very well may have. But we'll probably never know for sure.

Perineum Ripper
06-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Even as an E5 or E4 he is or could have been in some sort of leadership position..He could of had information for members of his squad or at least team..home address phone numbers social security numbers..stuff that could be very dangerous to the family back home..He could give detailed description of the base..of where they do patrols..how they conduct patrols..how they search houses during raids..All that information could of cost more men their lives when the search was being conducted for him..I know that the DOD spun up a lot of assets in search for him and increased patrols to double of what they were and made leaders push their men farther out into the mountains than normal causing the time for QRF or CAS to go up..even tho he couldn't give up huge amounts of information the little bit he could give up is priceless because it cost lives

Easy 6
06-02-2014, 05:54 PM
He didn't sneak out to smoke hash. He planned for a while to go awol. I'm curious if he meant to join the Taliban when he went Awol. Based on his letters home and state of mind, he very well may have. But we'll probably never know for sure.

Even as an E5 or E4 he is or could have been in some sort of leadership position..He could of had information for members of his squad or at least team..home address phone numbers social security numbers..stuff that could be very dangerous to the family back home..He could give detailed description of the base..of where they do patrols..how they conduct patrols..how they search houses during raids..All that information could of cost more men their lives when the search was being conducted for him..I know that the DOD spun up a lot of assets in search for him and increased patrols to double of what they were and made leaders push their men farther out into the mountains than normal causing the time for QRF or CAS to go up..even tho he couldn't give up huge amounts of information the little bit he could give up is priceless because it cost lives

Good points and questions every one, I dont claim to have any real anwers to them... but its certainly a great brain turner that asks a lot of important questions.

Those who've mentioned "Homeland", yeah wow, talk about crazy parallels... except that I highly doubt Bergdahl ends up running for office.

InChiefsHeaven
06-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Wow this isn't looking good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-son-died.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2646345/EXCLUSIVE-Outraged-parents-officer-died-searching-deserter-Bergdahl-hit-Obama-cover-just-like-Benghazi-claiming-told-LIES-hero-son-died.html)

From your link:

Furthermore, drones, planes, helicopters, soldiers and even food were diverted to the mission. CNN reports that the lack of resources led to a delay in the military closing Combat Outpost Keating. On October 3, Taliban insurgents overran the base and killed eight American soldiers.

So that's really 14 guys killed because of this dude...and let's face it, it's probably more...:shake:

Marcellus
06-02-2014, 06:43 PM
So what.

Eh, I was just adding another sordid detail to this entire CF of a situation.

Not going to blame anyone specifically but its all been handled very poorly.

Understandably when he disappeared they had to look for him because the Taliban kidnapping a US soldier would have looked really really bad.

Once they realized he walked off he should have been left to his own devices.

The problem is a US Soldier defecting to the Taliban has its own black eye and they didn't want that getting out either as it would be viewed as a victory for the Taliban.

Sometimes its best just to let the truth be the story and move on as nobody would give a shit about him by now.

Xanathol
06-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Yeah. Let's kill him! And other people!

:facepalm:

Damn right dumbass - that's the penalty for treason.

Dylan
06-03-2014, 12:39 AM
Mullah Zabihullah Mujahid, spokesman for the Taliban spokesman rejected the White House plea for peace talks between the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, U.S. and NATO.

"It won't help the peace process in any way, because we don't believe in the peace process..."

https://twitter.com/zabihmujahid

Statements released at the official website of Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (Taliban). Click on 'Statements' - do not download anything from this website:

http://shahamat-english.com/

Video of five ex-Guantanamo detainees handed over to the Leadership Shura and Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan members:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1426590480937482&set=vb.100007596302227&type=3&permPage=1

Mullah Zabiullah Mujahid tells Asharq Al-Awsat that Taliban will not give up "jihad" until all foreign forces leave Afghanistan"

http://www.aawsat.net/2014/06/article55332792

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-03-2014, 07:11 AM
What a dumb fucking war. Deaths are on Obama, not this dude.

redshirt32
06-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Yet people will follow and stand by every fucking decision this ass clown makes just to save face,
Where is the leadership and accountability to the people, we are the ones who pay for all this shit and are kids and there kids you work for us BO right......... hahaha
community organizer..................................................
30 more months BO keep rocking it,
Time is about over run this country to the ground with your pen and phone before you have to pack your shit an go........

Dylan
06-04-2014, 03:53 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eQKd7pYFx5Y?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taliban releases video of US soldier Bergdahl prisoner exchange -

redshirt32
06-04-2014, 05:20 AM
The sacrifice to capture these 5 by are armed forces went for not, how many died getting these 5 ?
How many died looking for the one solider who left his fucking duty ?

All for not makes me want to puke but keep standing up for this kind of shit nothing good is going to come from this.
So we can expect that these five will lay down the fight ........

Bet there are some kids boys and girls happy to see these fucks all over them as gifts from there fellow men.

Good job BO your the best fucking president of all time thanks for the change and hope to all who voted your ass into office.

They will stand by you as you take the US to new and great change, everyone is so fortunate to have you as CIC .

ILChief
06-04-2014, 06:03 AM
How is this not in DC?

Bwana
06-04-2014, 06:20 AM
How is this not in DC?

This is the tame one, the light each other on fire version is in the DC. People have managed to keep this one relatively civil and not douche it up too bad.

Bwana
06-04-2014, 06:27 AM
<IFRAME height=360 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eQKd7pYFx5Y?feature=player_detailpage" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

That has no danger of ever being mistaken for a Hollywood production. "don' come back."

InChiefsHeaven
06-04-2014, 07:03 AM
That has no danger of ever being mistaken for a Hollywood production. "don' come back."

Hit the road Jack, and doncha come back no mo no mo no mo no mo!

Bwana
06-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Hit the road Jack, and doncha come back no mo no mo no mo no mo!

There you go, get these guys a GoPro and lay a little Ray in the background and we're talking.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BU3ZjDrNKak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kepp
06-04-2014, 10:19 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eQKd7pYFx5Y?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr206/Lyn_ka/iconos/wellbye.gif

Deberg_1990
06-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Heh, Obama wasn't expecting this backlash I'm sure.

What a cluster. This administration is completely clueless at times.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dylan
06-04-2014, 11:34 AM
^The 17-minute video above was released by Al-Emara in its entirety.

Here is a shorter version:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H0_eMLM5DD8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

US Special Operations Forces in eastern Khost province.

In the video, while Bergdahl sits in the truck, an Afghan Taliban tells Bergdahl in Pashto "Don't come back to Afghanistan. Next time we catch you, you won't leave here alive," as other Taliban insurgents around the truck laugh.

Taliban insurgents begin to chant, "Long live all the holy warriors of Afghanistan. Long live our great warrior and the leader of believers, Mullah Mohammad Omar."

The armed Taliban are spread out all over the hill and at least of of them holds a rocket-propelled grenade launcher capable of taking down the US Special Operations Forces Black Hawk helicopter.

According to Al-Emara, "When the helicopter landed, we were expecting to speak to with the soldiers, but they were too nervous and in a hurry to leave. We shook hands with a few before they fled," says one of the Taliban in the video.

The five former Guantanamo detainees release was instrumental in holding various factions in the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) together. This group had splintered, thereby losing control and potency against Pakistan's military.

The quick release of the propaganda video was a major strategy for the Taliban, giving Pakistan less time in eliminating fringe Taliban groups. It also embarrasses the White House for not getting in front of the story.

Al-Emara, helped with Taliban translation

alnorth
06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Are people even reading the poll options? This isn't specific to Bergdahl, it was a question about POW's in general.

Anyone who voted for this option:

"No. Hold firm and never give up a POW, even if it means not getting your own back."

Either did not read it, or they are insane. Most POW's can't be tried for war crimes against humanity, they are just soldiers of the losing side of a conflict. When wars end, you always trade or release POW's of that war.

ModSocks
06-04-2014, 11:53 AM
LOL. reports are coming out, that this wanna be solder has converted to Islam & refuses to speak in English

Link?

LiveSteam
06-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Link?

just for your STUPID ASS I will post a link or three

http://www.biorust.com/tutorials/ps-chainlinks/chain_links.jpg

ModSocks
06-04-2014, 12:47 PM
just for your STUPID ASS I will post a link or three

http://www.biorust.com/tutorials/ps-chainlinks/chain_links.jpg

I asked you for a link so i can learn more about what you claimed, i never stated you were right or wrong, i simply wanted to read what you had apparently read.

This is your response? To name call and act like a jackass...?

Wow...i was way wrong about you.

Chief Roundup
06-05-2014, 12:11 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10258955_10154204103365084_6047863703622135140_o.png

Baby Lee
06-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

It is often shocking how racist we are.

Just Passin' By
06-05-2014, 12:22 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

The worst president in Modern U.S. history* wasn't expecting backlash from a blunder of epic proportions.

Seems about right.

*Jimmy Carter is thrilled that he no longer owns the title.

ILChief
06-06-2014, 08:48 PM
http://www.vox.com/2014/6/5/5780772/tweets-bergdahl-conservatives-politics-stupid

Kaepernick
06-06-2014, 08:56 PM
For my own Edumacation, why is this thread not in DC? I'm not saying it should be, just becoming confused what stays in the lounge and what goes to DC... :huh:

ILChief
06-06-2014, 09:06 PM
For my own Edumacation, why is this thread not in DC? I'm not saying it should be, just becoming confused what stays in the lounge and what goes to DC... :huh:

It should be. I have no idea why it isn't.

go bo
06-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Our governments doctors should have given those worthless fucks a disease that would show up after they were back with their Taliban buddies that would have been contagious and killed them all.

i LIKE the way you think!!!

BigRedChief
06-06-2014, 09:36 PM
It should be. I have no idea why it isn't.You think this is political?;)The worst president in Modern U.S. history* wasn't expecting backlash from a blunder of epic proportions.

Seems about right.

*Jimmy Carter is thrilled that he no longer owns the title.

Nightfyre
06-06-2014, 09:41 PM
The taliban are terrorists in my book. Since when do we negotiate with terrorists?

Just Passin' By
06-06-2014, 09:51 PM
You think this is political?;)

Ehh.... there have been bad presidents on both sides of the aisle, with the two Bush presidents being examples from among the Republican ranks. We're just currently stuck with the worst of the bunch. What you're calling political I consider a simple matter of fact.

Rain Man
06-06-2014, 09:57 PM
It should be. I have no idea why it isn't.

I just assumed it was news when it happened. It wasn't until about ten minutes later that the political stuff emerged.

BigRedChief
06-06-2014, 10:03 PM
I just assumed it was news when it happened. It wasn't until about ten minutes later that the political stuff emerged.Not your fault at all. It was a legitimate non-biased news story. For about 10 minutes. John Stewart did a bit on how fast it turned from a feel good we got one of our guys back to partisan hackery on cable tv.

LiveSteam
06-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Ehh.... there have been bad presidents on both sides of the aisle, with the two Bush presidents being examples from among the Republican ranks. We're just currently stuck with the worst of the bunch. What you're calling political I consider a simple matter of fact.

This

Sorter
06-07-2014, 12:56 AM
It is often shocking how racist we are.

LMAOLMAOLMAO

BigMeatballDave
06-07-2014, 01:48 AM
The taliban are terrorists in my book. Since when do we negotiate with terrorists?

Since always.