PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Fox Rebooting 'Predator' With Shane Black

Tribal Warfare
06-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Fox Rebooting 'Predator' With Shane Black (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-rebooting-predator-shane-black-714598)

The ’80s action classic Predator is getting the reboot treatment from 20th Century Fox.

But before some purists cry foul, they should know that this reboot comes with an interesting attachment: Shane Black, the venerable screenwriter behind Lethal Weapon and writer-director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3.

Black will write the treatment for the project, then will hand over scripting duties to Fred Dekker, his university chum with whom he wrote 1987’s Monster Squad. Black will oversee the writing and is also attached to direct.

John Davis, who produced the original with Joel Silver and Lawrence Gordon, is producing the reboot.

Predator is the muscle-bound action 1987 movie that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura as commandos being stalked in a jungle by a fearsome alien. John McTiernan directed the film, which was one of the movies that cemented Schwarzenegger’s star power.

Black actually appeared in a minor role in the original movie and how he became involved is part of Hollywood lore.

When Predator was being made in 1986, Black was already a screenwriting prodigy for his Lethal Weapon and Monster Squad scripts. The studio and producers wanted him to polish the script for Predator, which was then in pre-production. Black turned it down. A few weeks later, they approached him again. Once more, Black said no. Another few weeks went by, and then the studio called again. This time, however, he was told there was a small role in the movie and asked whether he would like to have it. Black said yes.

When he arrived to the South American set, the studio execs and producers greeted him and said, "By the way, would you mind taking a look at the script?" Black replied, "I’m still not rewriting it."

Fox has found ways to keep Predator alive since its initial outing. There was a Schwarzenegger-less sequel, Predators, in 1990. Robert Rodriguez produced an installment of the franchise in 2010. Fox also combined it with its Alien franchise for a couple of Alien vs. Predator movies released in 2004 and 2007, respectively.

Fox exec Matt Reilly is overseeing the reboot. Davis Entertainment's Ira Napoliello is also overseeing.

This is proving to be a busy time for Black. He is trying to put together a cast for The Nice Guys, a 1970s crime movie that was originally earmarked for television. Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe are circling the project, which is being produced by Silver but has no home just yet, and that could shoot this fall.

Black is also very actively developing Doc Savage, the adaptation of the 1930s pulp hero for Sony. He recently met with Chris Hemsworth for the title role, but it’s unclear when that project would shoot since it’s still grappling with budgetary issues. Sony, however, does consider Savage one of its priorities.

ThaVirus
06-25-2014, 05:24 PM
"Rabble rabble unoriginality rabble rabble"

MMXcalibur
06-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Yeah great and all, but how do the Alien movies tie-in?

hometeam
06-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeah great and all, but how do the Alien movies tie-in?

Alien and Predator have always taken same place in the same 'universe'

The predator species is all about honor via the hunt. Successfully hunting human or alien where the top trophy that predators could bring home.

The AvP movies may have been 04 and 07, but the lore tying them together goes back as far as I can remember, so at least 20ish years or so.

kcxiv
06-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Didnt they do a predator movie a few years ago? With Brody and Fishbourne? i thought it was pretty decent. At least i enjoyed it.

Deberg_1990
06-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Geez, you have a big P*ssy...

Sure-Oz
06-25-2014, 06:30 PM
I actually wouldn't mind if they did one if it was done well...

Hard to top Arnolds

Deberg_1990
06-25-2014, 06:37 PM
I actually wouldn't mind if they did one if it was done well...

Hard to top Arnolds

I thought the last one was pretty good.

But honestly, the only truly great one was the first one. Still holds up very well.

tk13
06-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Problem with this is you really need a Schwarzenegger-like action star to pull it off or it might feel undercooked. I'm not sure there's anyone out there who can pull it off. When Arnold is battling the Predator at the end of the first movie, you can buy it.

I haven't seen the recent sequel though, so I can't speak to that.

fairladyZ
06-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Tom Hardy gets my vote

tk13
06-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Actually that'd be a great choice. I'm on board.

Hammock Parties
06-25-2014, 07:18 PM
This is reportedly a sequel, not a reboot.

Gravedigger
06-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Tom Hardy gets my vote

Good call, if he got in Warrior shape he'd be pretty badass.

hometeam
06-25-2014, 08:13 PM
This is reportedly a sequel, not a reboot.

I like a sequel far more in this case. The story has been fleshed out so much between the predator and alien movies, the AvP movies and games, and all the things that surround them that a reboot doesnt make sense to me.

13and3
06-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Dwayne Johnson

fairladyZ
06-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Dwayne Johnson.

thats a good one too. He or Chris Hemsworth would be good too.

kcxiv
06-25-2014, 08:34 PM
need a huge motherfucker. Rock would be great in the role. You need to look no further.

hometeam
06-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Dwayne Johnson.

2005 or 2014?

http://www.workaroundlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/the-rock-before-and-after.jpg

kcxiv
06-25-2014, 08:36 PM
he posted what he eats for breakfast on twitter. Fucking insane. lol something like 2 dozen egg white and a whole lot more. haha

13and3
06-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Dwayne Johnson, Terry Crews, Matthew McConaughey from Reign of Fire and or Christian Bale

MahiMike
06-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Won't work today. Half the players in the NFL look like the predator.

Tribal Warfare
06-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Dwayne Johnson, Terry Crews, Matthew McConaughey from Reign of Fire and or Christian Bale

Gerard Butler and Michael Fassbender besides the above stated

13and3
06-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Terry Crews

L.A. Chieffan
06-26-2014, 12:03 AM
Ooh ya he was Hawkins...

unlurking
06-26-2014, 05:51 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma3bifFOUx1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

Wallcrawler
06-26-2014, 06:17 AM
After the steaming pile that Black dumped with Iron Man 3, he can stay far, FAR away from the Predator franchise.

Wonder what his bird to the fans will be? Halfway into the film, they corner the Predator and some dude runs out calling time out, saying he was just kidding, and its just a big Halloween costume, and the real thing that has been killing soldiers is some whackjob renegade commando who in his climactic scene shouts something completely stupid like "You were looking for the predator.......I AM THE PREDATOR!!!"

Seriously, Fuck Shane Black.

The guy that completely destroyed the Mandarin should be shaved, sterilized, and destroyed.

WhiteWhale
06-26-2014, 06:20 AM
Alien and Predator have always taken same place in the same 'universe'

The predator species is all about honor via the hunt. Successfully hunting human or alien where the top trophy that predators could bring home.

The AvP movies may have been 04 and 07, but the lore tying them together goes back as far as I can remember, so at least 20ish years or so.

Always been in the same universe?

They were created by different studios 8 years apart. They had nothing at all to do with each other. Comic books brought them together in the 90's. Predator 2 put an Alien head in the predator space ship as an easter egg. The comic that first tied them together came out around the time of Predator 2. They've been tied (loosely) longer than they've been separated... but basically all of the good movies (Predator, Alien, and Aliens) happened prior to the cross over.

Hammock Parties
06-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Iron Man 3 was fine.

L.A. Chieffan
06-26-2014, 10:55 AM
Predator is one of the greatest movies ever made. Not just Arnold movies or Action movies but MOVIES. There's no reason to remake it because there is no way it could equal it.

I'm waiting for the Casablanca and Godfather remakes...

hometeam
06-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Always been in the same universe?

They were created by different studios 8 years apart. They had nothing at all to do with each other. Comic books brought them together in the 90's. Predator 2 put an Alien head in the predator space ship as an easter egg. The comic that first tied them together came out around the time of Predator 2. They've been tied (loosely) longer than they've been separated... but basically all of the good movies (Predator, Alien, and Aliens) happened prior to the cross over.

Well 20+ years is always to me~

alpha_omega
06-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Predator is one of the greatest movies ever made. Not just Arnold movies or Action movies but MOVIES. There's no reason to remake it because there is no way it could equal it.

I'm waiting for the Casablanca and Godfather remakes...

I respect your opinion, but sorry...this is in no way one of the greatest movies ever.

Although i do agree a remake is a bad idea.

I dont know anything about it, but Willi Cicci says its a sequel, not a remake.

L.A. Chieffan
06-26-2014, 12:01 PM
I respect your opinion, but sorry...this is in no way one of the greatest movies ever.

Although i do agree a remake is a bad idea.

I dont know anything about it, but Willi Cicci says its a sequel, not a remake.

Very few movies have provided me with as much enjoyment or rewatchability as Predator. To me that is what matters

ThaVirus
06-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Predator was a great 80s action flick and it was fantastic for what it was. I wouldn't even think about it in terms of listing best movies ever but whatever floats your boat.

I will say it is probably the only 80s Arnie flick that isn't completely ridiculous in this day and age.

Fire Me Boy!
06-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Won't work today. Half the players in the NFL look like the predator.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/09/racist1.gif

unlurking
06-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Predator was a great 80s action flick and it was fantastic for what it was. I wouldn't even think about it in terms of listing best movies ever but whatever floats your boat.

I will say it is probably the only 80s Arnie flick that isn't completely ridiculous in this day and age.

:shake:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vXWKsfNgGE0/Uhn2pY7rpUI/AAAAAAAACjY/5LLsIe4wsh4/s1600/The+Terminator+%5B1984%5D+-+Acting+Madness.gif

http://freeyork.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/THE-TERMINATOR-1984.gif

Tribal Warfare
06-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Iron Man 3 was fine.

As an action movie with no relation to the source material it was decent, but as a comic book film it was complete shit.

Deberg_1990
06-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Loved IM3! Black basically took some old 80s action flick script he probably had laying around in his basement, and grafted Iron Man on to it. Pure brilliance.

Mennonite
07-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Eh, this will probably suck, but I'll go to see it anyway.

You know what would I would really like to see? A remake of Predator 2 directed by Paul Verhoeven.

Hammock Parties
07-15-2014, 10:57 PM
You know what would I would really like to see? A remake of Predator 2 directed by Paul Verhoeven.

The idea of a Predator running around in a city is a great concept.

Casting Danny Glover in the lead role was complete shit though.

I'd love to see it done properly.

ThaVirus
07-15-2014, 11:20 PM
The idea of Preds anywhere is pretty cool to me. Intergalactic big game hunters with dreads.. Cool concept.

I've actually enjoyed all of the Predator installments, including the shit that's known as AVP and AVP: Requiem. Predator 2 and Predators were even enjoyable, albeit probably not technically "good" movies..

fairladyZ
07-16-2014, 05:11 PM
i thought predators was a great reboot. I didn't care for lawerence fishburnes character. And adrien brody did ok i thought. I liked how it tied in with music and the feeling of the original.

ThaVirus
07-16-2014, 05:20 PM
The concept behind Predators was a 14 year old boy's wet dream and actually made sense given the Pred's society in the extended universe.

It really ****ed up by bringing in the different species of Predator or whatever the **** was happening there and casting Brody as the lead tough guy..

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Problem with this is you really need a Schwarzenegger-like action star to pull it off or it might feel undercooked. I'm not sure there's anyone out there who can pull it off. When Arnold is battling the Predator at the end of the first movie, you can buy it.

I haven't seen the recent sequel though, so I can't speak to that.

The Rock was born to fight Yautjas.

ThaVirus
07-16-2014, 05:41 PM

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2014616/rs_634x987-140716105224-634-the-rock-fanny-pack.ls.71614.jpg

Mennonite
07-16-2014, 07:00 PM
"Wearing a fanny pack will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Hammock Parties
07-16-2014, 07:15 PM

YES

Shit, he's already playing Hercules. :D

BigRedChief
07-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Geez, you have a big P*ssy...Echo?:thumb:

BigRedChief
07-16-2014, 09:03 PM
It really ****ed up by bringing in the different species of Predator or whatever the **** was happening there and casting Brody as the lead tough guy..The casting reboot needs the Rock. You want to do a reboot? First call has to go out to the Rock. They have to realistically have a chance against the bigger Predators if it gets physical. Your not going to get the mountain from GOT. They still have to act a little. At least good enough where its not distracting.

Valiant
07-16-2014, 11:37 PM
The casting reboot needs the Rock. You want to do a reboot? First call has to go out to the Rock. They have to realistically have a chance against the bigger Predators if it gets physical. Your not going to get the mountain from GOT. They still have to act a little. At least good enough where its not distracting.

Really? What great actors were in the Predator? It is an action movie, they need an ensemble of roided giant men for visuals. Maybe this time a couple hot women.

I would just go with sequel though, Predators was decent and introduced the tougher species of predators..

Predator: O'mazing
Predator 2: Okay, the introduction of the new tech is what sold me.
AvP: Horrible, pg13? gfy.
AvP 2: Bit better than horrible, twin shoulder cannons and predalien.
Predators: Ok, Morphious sucked in it, but the new predators.

This next one should be back in South America or the Middle East. Five or six normal predators, and a couple of the super predators versus the human squad in a mexican standoff. Certain group of humans know of the predators existence before hand, they track them to get tech and actually set up global conflicts to increase chances of the predators showing up, but outnumbered and the newer breed of predators throws up a cluster fuck. I do not even care about quality story, I want great battles and good visuals like the original Predator.