PDA

View Full Version : Poop The most irrelevant team in the NFL

a pp roach
08-09-2014, 10:25 AM
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

What a worthless franchise. Who even cares about them? They're probably happy I'm making a thread about them to remind you guys they exist.

Seriously, they were in the NFC Central because the NFL forgot about them when they were making the divisions and said fuck it let's throw them in with the division nobody really cares about (besides the NFC east, which was already filled by their lack of caring about the Cardinals).

Now look at them. None of the teams in the NFC South even consider them a worthy rival. They're just that other team they have to play twice.

They only won a super bowl because the NFL hates the Raiders, which is the same reason New England won that year they played them in the AFCCG.

You're welcome, Buccaneers.

Prison Bitch
08-09-2014, 10:30 AM
It's easily Jacksonville followed closely by Tennessee. Nobody would even notice if either left. Nobody would notice if Carolina folded or frankly, if the Bills never played another game.

Johnny Vegas
08-09-2014, 10:32 AM
It's easily Jacksonville followed closely by Tennessee. Nobody would even notice if either left. Nobody would notice if Carolina folded or frankly, if the Bills never played another game.

I would notice if the Bills never played another game. Its one of the teams not in our division we play almost every damn year.

Reerun_KC
08-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Chiefs are in the discussion. Outside of the KC metro area they are petty irrelevant.

BlackHelicopters
08-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Lions and Browns.

Bufkin
08-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Easily the Jaguars. They don't even have 500,000 likes on Facebook. ROFL

srvy
08-09-2014, 10:49 AM
I would notice if the Bills never played another game. Its one of the teams not in our division we play almost every damn year.

Yeah I would notice the Bills myself. In there glory years those fans and that place was brutal. This is the toughest NFL venue weather wise. Even when the Bills are bad we struggle with them it seems.

ChiefsCountry
08-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Nobody notices the Bills yet they are going to sell for over a billion dollars.

tk13
08-09-2014, 11:00 AM
I'd say the Jaguars, but it depends on where you live. For a lot of people the Chiefs would probably be up there. A team in the middle of the country that hasn't won anything in forever. The Jaguars have been to a couple conference championships and they've won a playoff game in the last decade.

GloucesterChief
08-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Nobody notices the Bills yet they are going to sell for over a billion dollars.

That is because along with Buffalo they get Toronto and Hamilton Ontario as their market.

Bowser
08-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Tampa is relevant due to Chris Berman's love for them. ESPN pimps them out pretty regularly. Buffalo has a pretty rabid following as well. I'd say the Jags, Tits, and then probably the Chiefs. Miami isn't "irrelevant", but they just seem to be sitting there, never really doing much.

Just Passin' By
08-09-2014, 11:15 AM
The next time someone bitches about a food thread, I'm going to point to this obscenity of a thread.

Rasputin
08-09-2014, 11:18 AM
I liked the Buccaneers when they fisted the Raiders 48 to 21 in the Super Bowl.

Rasputin
08-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Sorry but the Bucs have been more relevant than the Chiefs in the last 20 years.

fuck damn shit this thread makes me depressed.

lewdog
08-09-2014, 11:24 AM
The Bucs won a Superbowl in our lifetime. ESPN is covered with Gruden who you associate with the Bucs.

Name the last Chiefs coach or winning team that anyone remembers?

And the answer is the Jags. No question. So irrelevant.

CoMoChief
08-09-2014, 11:24 AM
I'd honestly say Jacksonville is the most irrelevant team in the NFL.

And if it weren't for the Greatest Show on Turf, I'd have to say St. Louis is right up there too. That town literally doesn't give a shit about football.

ChiefsCountry
08-09-2014, 11:26 AM
The Bucs won a Superbowl in our lifetime. ESPN is covered with Gruden who you associate with the Bucs.

Herm is on tv all the damn time.

Mav
08-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Lions and Browns.

ehhhhhh.

Before this years draft. YOU COULD OF SAID THAT.

The Browns are the most relevant team in football right now.

for all the wrong fucking reasons.

lewdog
08-09-2014, 11:27 AM

I should have clarified. A winning coach.

Rasputin
08-09-2014, 11:28 AM
"They only won a super bowl because the NFL hates the Raiders,"

The reason for the hate from the league is because the Raiders have the most stolen gear and merchandise in the league. No profit.

srvy
08-09-2014, 11:29 AM

And the answer is the Jags. No question. So irrelevant.

My lifetime I have seen the Chiefs in 2 Superbowls and win 1. So FU :D

Rasputin
08-09-2014, 11:30 AM

I hope he is more associated & remembered as a Jet than as a Chief.

hometeam
08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Jacksonville is lower than TB. The Bucs have won a superbowl since our last playoff win.

So we are lower than them too, when the rose colored glasses come off.

kysirsoze
08-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Can't say I'd love being a Bucs fan, but to say they're less relevant than the Chiefs is total denial. The Jags are the most irrelevant, I'd say, but the Chiefs are probably bottom 5 these days. The only thing that might keep us out of that range would be attention for Alex Smith and the awesomeness of Jamaal Charles.

SAUTO
08-09-2014, 11:38 AM
I should have clarified. A winning coach.

Dick, marty
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
08-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Can't say I'd love being a Bucs fan, but to say they're less relevant than the Chiefs is total denial. The Jags are the most irrelevant, I'd say, but the Chiefs are probably bottom 5 these days. The only thing that might keep us out of that range would be attention for Alex Smith and the awesomeness of Jamaal Charles.

We started out 9-0 last year and had an epic collapse in he playoffs, fans remember the chiefs
Posted via Mobile Device

hometeam
08-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Top 5 MOST irrelevant

#5 - Cincinnati Bengals
#4 - Buffalo Bills
#3 - Kansas City Chiefs
#2 - Cleveland Browns
#1 - Jacksonville Jaguars

Earthling
08-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Seriously, they were in the NFC Central because the NFL forgot about them when they were making the divisions and said **** it let's throw them in with the division nobody really cares about (besides the NFC east, which was already filled by their lack of caring about the Cardinals).

Now look at them. None of the teams in the NFC South even consider them a worthy rival. They're just that other team they have to play twice.

Yeah....Don't forget they were in our division once. 1st year AFC West.

GordonGekko
08-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Sorry but the Bucs have been more relevant than the Chiefs in the last 20 years.

**** damn shit this thread makes me depressed.

Yup... I'd say the Chiefs are pretty high up on this list (in the negative way). No playoff victories in decades, who the fuck are we to talk poorly about any other franchise?

MMXcalibur
Nobody would notice if the Broncos were gone.

Maybe ESPN.

Maybe.

kysirsoze
We started out 9-0 last year and had an epic collapse in he playoffs, fans remember the chiefs
Posted via Mobile Device

That was one year. I guess I assumed at least a ten year sample size. We are one missed playoffs away from total obscurity again.

Why Not?
08-09-2014, 11:44 AM
The next time someone bitches about a food thread, I'm going to point to this obscenity of a thread.

This. Nearly everyone on this thread is full of shit. All NFL teams are relevant. It's the NFL.

SAUTO
That was one year. I guess I assumed at least a ten year sample size. We are one missed playoffs away from total obscurity again.

Yeah you are probably right.
Posted via Mobile Device

salame
The chiefs didn't show up anywhere on the most hated teams map.....

kysirsoze
08-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Yeah you are probably right.
Posted via Mobile Device

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oabcM9SOF-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Discuss Thrower
08-09-2014, 11:52 AM
The Chiefs are largely irrelevant if you go 150+ miles in any direction away from Arrowhead.

Bufkin
08-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Do the Rams even have a message board? That's a good measure of defining legitimacy.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Chiefs are in the discussion. Outside of the KC metro area they are petty irrelevant.

Dumb.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-09-2014, 12:01 PM
The Chiefs are largely irrelevant if you go 150+ miles in any direction away from Arrowhead.

You guys are buffoons. KC is one of the original AFL teams so of course they are not irrelevant. Mentioning the Bills is dumb as fuck too.

Rasputin
08-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Top 5 MOST irrelevant

#5 - Cincinnati Bengals
#4 - Buffalo Bills
#3 - Kansas City Chiefs
#2 - Cleveland Browns
#1 - Jacksonville Jaguars

This year Bengals are going be a team to watch. I think they will win a playoff game even.

Marv Lewis is a better coach than given credit.

Bufkin
08-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Drafting Manziel has absolutely moved the Browns from top 5 most irrelevant teams to top 5 most relevant teams. (and how unfortunate that is)

John Dope
08-09-2014, 12:03 PM
I'd say it's Jacksonville. I hate to break it to you but KC or Buffalo are a close second. The Bucs aren't even close.

BucEyedPea
08-09-2014, 12:20 PM
They only won a super bowl because the NFL hates the Raiders, which is the same reason New England won that year they played them in the AFCCG.

:LOL:ROFL Green eyed monster got ya?

No Gruden knew the Raider's playbook, which wasn't changed after he left to coach the Bucs. How stupid was that? Might as well call it "Gruden Bowl" as Gruden knew the Raiser's audible calls. Why do you think some Raiders felt Callahan sabotaged the game for them? I remember one of the Buc's players even admitted that afterwards enabling them on those interceptions. I think it was Lynch. That's called losing due to a stupid coach.

Also, Gruden was hired to build a better offense but the Bucs were still more dominant defense team than a dominant offense— a fast and speedy defense more than a big burly one. I don't just credit the Hall of Famers members, potential Hall of Famers of the defense but others on the defense, Dungy and Monte Kiffen for this. It was also before the Glazers bought Manchester United. After that they weren't as committed to another strong team as they were the previous 5 years. Seemed that way to me anyway.

Regarding the Patriots, whether you agree or not with the Tuck Rule call, I don't think the call of referee Walter Coleman deciding against it being a fumble can be called the workings of some collective hate from the entire NFL. It was an individual referee's call.

Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2 of the NFL rule book, which states that "any intentional forward movement of [the thrower's] arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body

Even the NFL's supervisor of officiating, told the press afterwards it was an incomplete pass, and knew it would be reversed.

But the Pats still needed a few more miracles or brilliant playing which followed. The 45-yard game-tying field goal by Vinatieri in bad weather with the swirling snow, 27 seconds remaining, NO time to clear a spot to kick the ball while clock ticked down. The Pat's offense then moved right down the field with the kick-off without a hitch using a No Huddle offense as Brady completed all six of his passes. Then Vinatieri kicks another field goal. And you conclude this ALL due to NFL hate?

Yeah, obviously I'm biased but someone sounds like sour grapes.

Pepe Silvia
08-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Lions

a pp roach
08-09-2014, 12:36 PM
No more facts, guys.

GoChargers
08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
No NFL franchise is completely irrelevant thanks to social media, fantasy football, RedZone, and today's 24/7, NFL-obsessed sports media cycle.

Maybe the closest to irrelevance is Tennessee these days, but even they were one yard short of a championship and had the Music City Miracle not too long ago, not to mention McNair's MVP year, the Vince Young drama, Kerry Collins' resurgence in 2008, and CJ2K's career year. Charger fans remember them for generally being a dirty, bitchmade team when they were good that we consistently owned.

GoChargers
08-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I'd honestly say Jacksonville is the most irrelevant team in the NFL.

Hardly. They're constantly made fun of for their attendance (which is actually a pretty unfair and less-than-truthful talking point) and their horrible play in recent years. They're relevant, just for the wrong reasons.

John Dope
08-09-2014, 12:50 PM
No more facts, guys.

No more facts? You started this thread with the most baseless post of all. The Bucs are worthless? You understand they are owned by the same people who own the most popular franchise in the world in Manchester United? The Glazers don't waste their money pal.

Mav
08-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Drafting Manziel has absolutely moved the Browns from top 5 most irrelevant teams to top 5 most relevant teams. (and how unfortunate that is)
Yeah. I don't understand how people don't understand that. Oh and they have a top 3 fan base.

It's like someone saying the cubs are irrelevant

MotherfuckerJones
08-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Lol they're more relevant than us. We're irrelevant

Aries Walker
08-09-2014, 01:28 PM
It's the Jaguars. They have a short history, pathetic attendance, no rings, no impressive talked-about memories, they share a home state with two other teams, and their city is the one you drive through to get to someplace interesting. I'd bet most fans would have a hard time naming even one player on their team.

ThaVirus
08-09-2014, 01:40 PM
It's the Jaguars. They have a short history, pathetic attendance, no rings, no impressive talked-about memories, they share a home state with two other teams, and their city is the one you drive through to get to someplace interesting. I'd bet most fans would have a hard time naming even one player on their team.

Sums the Jags up rather nicely.

Jacksonville, the city, blows and they have absolutely no star power. Paul Posluzny (sp?) is probably their best player and the average Joe doesn't even know who he is.

Bufkin
08-09-2014, 01:41 PM
My friend is a Ram season ticket holder. Here is the Edward Jones dome at kickoff from yesterday's Saint game.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BujjC4IIUAAMNfd.jpg:large

BucEyedPea
08-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Sums the Jags up rather nicely.

Jacksonville, the city, blows and they have absolutely no star power. Paul Posluzny (sp?) is probably their best player and the average Joe doesn't even know who he is.

The city itself doesn't blow. Well, unless you mean downtown. Most of the social scene action isn't downtown but outside of it. It's a nice city. Florida's largest city.

GoChargers
08-09-2014, 01:52 PM
They have a short history
The Texans and new Browns have even shorter histories, why aren't they the most irrelevant?

pathetic attendance
Their stadium is way too big for the market because the redneck SEC demanded extra seats for a once-a-year event. They aren't the only team with attendance issues.

no rings
They aren't the only team with no rings.

no impressive talked-about memories
Making it to the AFC title game in their second year of existence and ending Marino's career with a blowout playoff win are fairly impressive memories.

they share a home state with two other teams
The Chargers, Faid, and Whiners also share a state. So do the Bills, Jets, and Giants.

Again, no NFL team is irrelevant. It's too easy to argue against it for any team.

BWillie
08-09-2014, 01:58 PM
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

What a worthless franchise. Who even cares about them? They're probably happy I'm making a thread about them to remind you guys they exist.

Seriously, they were in the NFC Central because the NFL forgot about them when they were making the divisions and said **** it let's throw them in with the division nobody really cares about (besides the NFC east, which was already filled by their lack of caring about the Cardinals).

You're welcome, Buccaneers.

Outside of South Florida, and NBA basketball. Florida shouldn't even have professional teams. They have the worst fans in the entire nation. Such fickle fan bases, and never have any fans compared to the amount of population of their cities. I guess too many old people in RVs?

If the pro teams in LA and NYC had the loyalty that Kansas City fans did, they'd have to build their stadiums twice as large.

Bufkin
08-09-2014, 01:58 PM
The Texans and new Browns have even shorter histories, why aren't they the most irrelevant?
It's hardly fair to classify the Browns as having a shorter history than the Jaguars. As for the Texans, Houston Texas is a much larger market than Jacksonville Florida.

kysirsoze
08-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Again, no NFL team is irrelevant. It's too easy to argue against it for any team.

The question is which is the MOST irrelevant. Not which ones are irrelevant. Of course all NFL teams are relevant. Some are clearly more so than others. The Jaguars are near or at the bottom of the list by nearly every measure. So are a few other loser franchises.

WakkaWakka
08-09-2014, 02:12 PM
My friend is a Ram season ticket holder. Here is the Edward Jones dome at kickoff.

LMAO St Louis sucks!

Bowser
08-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I completely forgot about St. Louis. That's how irrelevant they are - we forget to even put them on the irrelevant list.

Sorry, Rams Fan.

Setsuna
08-09-2014, 02:18 PM
The city itself doesn't blow. Well, unless you mean downtown. Most of the social scene action isn't downtown but outside of it. It's a nice city. Florida's largest city.

You've been here? Come here again and we can grab a beer. But yeah Riverside, Beaches, Ponte Vedra, Orange Park, etc.

Kidd Lex
08-09-2014, 02:51 PM
You've been here? Come here again and we can grab a beer. But yeah Riverside, Beaches, Ponte Vedra, Orange Park, etc.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/428ebe029cffd9a596df5ae5926c04b8/tumblr_mg8bgcGqC41r52bo2o1_400.gif

a pp roach
09-23-2014, 12:21 PM
bump.

Aries Walker
09-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Still Jacksonville.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 12:38 PM
I think the NFL would be better overall if it contracted by 2 teams.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-23-2014, 12:48 PM
ehhhhhh.

Before this years draft. YOU COULD OF SAID THAT.

The Browns are the most relevant team in football right now.

for all the wrong fucking reasons.

No, for the RIGHT reasons. :D

The_Hound
09-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Jags

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Titans.

At least the Jags have Bortles and http://i.imgur.com/JoobBb4.jpg

RunKC
09-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Bills and it's not close.

Jags had a very memorable playoff win over Elway and still made the playoffs this century.

Bills haven't done anything this century and nobody gives two fucks about their franchise selling.

Mile High Mania
09-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Interesting topic... I don't know that the Bucs are in what I would call a top 10 of irrelevant.

Jaguars, Browns, Raiders, Chiefs (sorry), Titans, Bills, Vikings, Rams, Lions, Cardinals, Dolphins, Bengals, Panthers

A couple of those teams are on the upswing, but none of them have put together any sort of great consistency towards winning in a long while. Hell, you can damn near put the Cowboys on that list - but, they're more marketing hype than anything right now and cannot be considered irrelevant.

I rattled off 13 teams that I believe most would say they instantly check off the 'contender's list' every year, that's a 1/3 of the teams - pretty telling. I think you could take your pick from that list. I didn't even list Tampa. I believe what it shows is that while the playing field is more level, you have a lot of teams stuck in the muck of the middle and under.

I pulled this info from another site.

3 longest NFL playoff droughts are:
Bills (1999, 15 seasons)
Browns (2002, 12 seasons)
Raiders (2002, 12seasons)

3 teams with the most time since their last playoff win?
Bengals (1990, 24 years)
Lions (1991, 23 years)
Chiefs (1993, 21 years)

Mile High Mania
09-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Bills and it's not close.

Jags had a very memorable playoff win over Elway and still made the playoffs this century.

Bills haven't done anything this century and nobody gives two ****s about their franchise selling.

I kicked a door off its hinges at a bar that afternoon... Damn you, Michael Dean Perry... Damn you.

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 01:33 PM
The Chiefs, Lions and Bengals may not have had any playoff wins, but their games are usually competitive. They actually have an impact on the NFL. How often do the Jags have important games? For them or for their opponents.

The Bills, Browns, and Raiders have been 10 year dumpster fires but they do have some hope with their young players. Even the Jags have Bortles.

The Bucs and Titans are in the worst shape imo. Poor ownership, retread coaches, not a ton of talent on their rosters. Between the two I have to go with the Titans as the least relevant. The Bucs have Doug Martin and a Giraffe - what have the Titans got?

srvy
09-23-2014, 01:47 PM
New England was pretty irrelevant IMO until they lucked out with Brady. Yeah and don't throw Drew Bledsoe at me.

The_Hound
09-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Denver fan on a chief board, calling our team irrelevant. What a troll.

Interesting topic... I don't know that the Bucs are in what I would call a top 10 of irrelevant.

Jaguars, Browns, Raiders, Chiefs (sorry), Titans, Bills, Vikings, Rams, Lions, Cardinals, Dolphins, Bengals, Panthers

A couple of those teams are on the upswing, but none of them have put together any sort of great consistency towards winning in a long while. Hell, you can damn near put the Cowboys on that list - but, they're more marketing hype than anything right now and cannot be considered irrelevant.

I rattled off 13 teams that I believe most would say they instantly check off the 'contender's list' every year, that's a 1/3 of the teams - pretty telling. I think you could take your pick from that list. I didn't even list Tampa. I believe what it shows is that while the playing field is more level, you have a lot of teams stuck in the muck of the middle and under.

Bills (1999, 15 seasons)

Bengals (1990, 24 years)
Lions (1991, 23 years)
Chiefs (1993, 21 years)

Mennonite
09-23-2014, 03:17 PM
New England was pretty irrelevant IMO until they lucked out with Brady. Yeah and don't throw Drew Bledsoe at me.

They went to the SB in 96 and made the playoffs in 94, 97, and 98.

Bearcat
09-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Denver fan on a chief board, calling our team irrelevant. What a troll.

Yeah, that dumbass, thinking relevance = playoff appearances and wins.... the most relevant teams set noise records. And what about that time we flew banners? That made the news, I bet.

The_Hound
09-23-2014, 03:26 PM
His team is a Manning concussion away from being irrelevant too. Father time is coming.

Dayze
09-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Yeah, that dumbass, thinking relevance = playoff appearances and wins.... the most relevant teams set noise records. And what about that time we flew banners? That made the news, I bet.
Exactly LMAO. The Chiefs are absolutely in the discussion along with teams like the Browns, Bills, etc. OutsidE KC no one would probably even notice if the Chiefs went away.

Bearcat
09-23-2014, 03:31 PM
His team is a Manning concussion away from being irrelevant too. Father time is coming.

Damn, that's rough. They probably wish they never traded for him.... I wonder how such an irrelevant team got him in the first place, and not the Chiefs. :shrug:

Bearcat
09-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Exactly LMAO. The Chiefs are absolutely in the discussion along with teams like the Browns, Bills, etc. OutsidE KC no one would probably even notice if the Chiefs went away.

'Hamas'' first two posts in the noise thread sums it up better than I ever could.

The_Hound
09-23-2014, 03:37 PM

You can say that for any team, don't listen to the hype. The seahawks were certainly the most irrelevant team in the afc, as was the Patriots before Brady.

TimBone
09-23-2014, 03:44 PM
I kicked a door off its hinges at a bar that afternoon... Damn you, Michael Dean Perry... Damn you.

You sound like a quality kind of guy.

The_Hound
09-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Damn, that's rough. They probably wish they never traded for him.... I wonder how such an irrelevant team got him in the first place, and not the Chiefs. :shrug:

I'm sure a lot of teams passed on him. After drafting Tebow, I'm pretty sure the donks were desperate.

Reerun_KC
09-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Chiefs
Raiders
Bills
Browns
Bengals

Top 5 franchises no one outside of their markets gives a shit about...

Reerun_KC
09-23-2014, 04:20 PM

Agree...

RealSNR
09-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Bills (1999, 15 seasons)

Bengals (1990, 24 years)
Lions (1991, 23 years)
Chiefs (1993, 21 years)
I've got a lot of problems with the "consistency towards winning" list. A team is either good or bad in any given year. Some teams are good season after season, but it takes years and years of winning and success to be considered one of those teams. Otherwise you're no better off than a team like the Falcons who apart from their Super Bowl loss in the 1998 season, sucked all throughout the 1990s and after that until 2009, where they made the playoffs in consecutive seasons and tanked in 2013.

So are the Falcons a team that consistently win? They didn't win shit last year, and they've only got ~5 good years to show for the last 20+ seasons. That's no more consistent than the Bengals, who you've listed as an irrelevant team, but have been in the playoffs for 3 straight seasons, and it appears they're about to go on their 4th. And the Giants have won 2 Super Bowls, but they're far from a team that CONSISTENTLY wins, since they're always good one year, then down the next. The only thing consistent about them is that they're consistently inconsistent.

Obviously the Seahawks are a model franchise right now. But going back to 2006, the year after they lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl, they've only had a winning record 2 times (the past two seasons). They were a very sudden good team that just sort of showed up one year and have been kicking ass ever since. They've been hot, red hot (a Super Bowl is pretty damn hot), but does that excuse that they've still only been good for a short period of recent football history?

That's what I mean. Good is good. Bad is bad. A good team that doesn't have a history of consistency shouldn't have to establish one just to become relevant.

jallmon
09-23-2014, 04:28 PM
My lifetime I have seen the Chiefs in 2 Superbowls and win 1. So FU :D

In my lifetime they won 3 AFL championships and one super bowl.

DeathByArrows
09-23-2014, 04:36 PM
My friend is a Ram season ticket holder. Here is the Edward Jones dome at kickoff from yesterday's Saint game.

What a dumpster, that place looks like a warehouse. The lighting is horrible.

KChiefs1
09-23-2014, 04:42 PM
#5 - Tampa
#4 - Buffalo
#3 - Tennessee
#2 - Arizona
#1 - Jacksonville

Baby Lee
09-23-2014, 04:44 PM

And I can attest it feels exactly as dark as it looks in the stands, even when the place is full. It's like watching TV in a dive bar.

Big part of why they're after a new stadium. EJD was a complete design fail.

Aries Walker
09-23-2014, 04:47 PM
They should think about moving back to LA.

Baby Lee
09-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Titans.

At least the Jags have Bortles and http://i.imgur.com/JoobBb4.jpg

It's like Ron Jeremy and Frederico Fellini had a gayby.

Baby Lee
09-23-2014, 04:53 PM
You can say that for any team, don't listen to the hype. The seahawks were certainly the most irrelevant team in the afc, as was the Patriots before Brady.

Yeah, it wasn't all that long ago that the ENTIRE NFCW was a dumpster fire. Didn't someone win the division at 8-8 one year?

Parity.

Baby Lee
09-23-2014, 04:55 PM
I've got a lot of problems with the "consistency towards winning" list. A team is either good or bad in any given year. Some teams are good season after season, but it takes years and years of winning and success to be considered one of those teams. Otherwise you're no better off than a team like the Falcons who apart from their Super Bowl loss in the 1998 season, sucked all throughout the 1990s and after that until 2009, where they made the playoffs in consecutive seasons and tanked in 2013.

So are the Falcons a team that consistently win? They didn't win shit last year, and they've only got ~5 good years to show for the last 20+ seasons. That's no more consistent than the Bengals, who you've listed as an irrelevant team, but have been in the playoffs for 3 straight seasons, and it appears they're about to go on their 4th. And the Giants have won 2 Super Bowls, but they're far from a team that CONSISTENTLY wins, since they're always good one year, then down the next. The only thing consistent about them is that they're consistently inconsistent.

Obviously the Seahawks are a model franchise right now. But going back to 2006, the year after they lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl, they've only had a winning record 2 times (the past two seasons). They were a very sudden good team that just sort of showed up one year and have been kicking ass ever since. They've been hot, red hot (a Super Bowl is pretty damn hot), but does that excuse that they've still only been good for a short period of recent football history?

That's what I mean. Good is good. Bad is bad. A good team that doesn't have a history of consistency shouldn't have to establish one just to become relevant.

Some teams win year after year, but you have to win year after year to be one of those teams?

Hot take. ;)

GoShox
09-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Yeah, it wasn't all that long ago that the ENTIRE NFCW was a dumpster fire. Didn't someone win the division at 8-8 one year?

Parity.

7-9 I believe, and then of course the Seahawks did what we haven't done in 20 years and won a playoff game that year.

srvy
09-23-2014, 05:05 PM
They went to the SB in 96 and made the playoffs in 94, 97, and 98.

Yeah so did Cincy so?

Mav
09-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Chiefs
Raiders
Bills
Browns
Bengals

Lol. The browns have a top 5 fan base. That's hilarious to me.

Mav
09-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Parity.
7-9

Eleazar
09-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Tampa is a good choice. They were only relevant for a brief period. They are a moribund franchise again. No extensive rivalries because they were irrelevant for so long.

It's popular to say Jacksonville because it's the smallest market, but fan engagement is a lot higher than it should be when you consider they haven't had a winning season in 7 or 8 years

Eleazar
09-23-2014, 05:15 PM

Not to mention, the Jaguars have won 5 playoff games since the Chiefs last won one, IIRC

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Chiefs
Raiders
Bills
Browns
Bengals

I can testify to this. The Chiefs had lost relevance as early as 1976 outside of their market. Probably sooner. I lived one state southwest of KC, and the Chiefs were never even brought in to the discussion as a kid. And this was back in the day when the school handed out "Jimmy The Greek" season preview books to us kids every year.

Kiimo
09-23-2014, 07:00 PM
It's weird you all think the Chiefs are irrelevant outside KC, I haven't lived in KC in ten years and people talk about the Chiefs all the time. A LOT more than other teams.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-23-2014, 07:07 PM
It's weird you all think the Chiefs are irrelevant outside KC, I haven't lived in KC in ten years and people talk about the Chiefs all the time. A LOT more than other teams.

The Chiefs were relevant in the 90's. The culture that was created in that era( noise / fear of Arrowhwead as an opponent ) has somehow managed to limp along though the franchise has been a largely useless bag of dicks since about Herm-o-clock.

srvy
09-23-2014, 07:21 PM

Yeah I dont get it either. I have worked projects all over the usa. People see Missouri or Kansas Tags on the trucks they will ask are the Chiefs gonna do anything this year. I run into Chiefs jerseys and bumper stickers all the time. The larger cities you can always find Chiefs sports bars to get the game.

RealSNR
09-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Some teams win year after year, but you have to win year after year to be one of those teams?

Hot take. ;)

Hey, talk to MHM about it. That's his wheelhouse, not mine.

Reerun_KC
09-23-2014, 08:16 PM
The Chiefs were relevant in the 90's. The culture that was created in that era( noise / fear of Arrowhwead as an opponent ) has somehow managed to limp along though the franchise has been a largely useless bag of dicks since about Herm-o-clock.
Well said.

TomBarndtsTwin
09-24-2014, 03:11 AM
I preset to you, Exhibit A:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2208441-jacksonville-jaguars-send-letter-asking-fans-to-sit-down-at-games

Case closed.

Eleazar
09-24-2014, 08:01 AM
I preset to you, Exhibit A:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2208441-jacksonville-jaguars-send-letter-asking-fans-to-sit-down-at-games

Case closed.

Not every stadium is full of people who want to stand up for 3 hours. It doesn't make much sense anyway if you think about it.

Mile High Mania
09-24-2014, 08:48 AM

Nothing says my list is without issue.

I stuck with the irrelevant word and yeah, the Bengals may be too good right now for that list - same with ATL.

I think you can look at 10-12 franchises pretty easily and say they've 'under performed' consistently for a decade. Is that better than saying they consistently win?

If a team sucks more often than not for an extended amount of time - they likely have a minimal fan base, can't sell tickets and nobody talks about them. That would be irrelevant to me.

That's why I was hesitant to put KC on there - you guys are diehards, I run into KC fans everywhere - it's like Packer fans.

I suppose it falls back to the definition of irrelevant.

SNR, you closed out your comment with "A good team that doesn't have a history of consistency shouldn't have to establish one just to become relevant."

So, if the Jags go on a tear and win 10 games - are they relevant? Possibly, for that year, but they'll likely suck again if history is an indicator.

I think there are a lot of teams that can contend for most irrelevant... and I think some teams carry higher expectations (right or wrong) that put them into that category.

Bears, Lions, Bengals, Falcons - sure they're all teams that have been relevant lately, to a degree - but they're just there... they look good, then look bad - they have great names... but they don't do anything great consistently at all. I think that's why there are low expectations for teams like that... people aren't shocked when they fail. Means they're borderline irrelevant, no?

Chiefshrink
09-24-2014, 08:57 AM
All small market teams are irrelevant regardless of record. What, about 25 teams ?:rolleyes:

Mile High Mania
09-24-2014, 08:58 AM
All small market teams are irrelevant regardless of record. What, about 25 teams ?:rolleyes:

Not true. I found this link - someone ranked the teams by nfl market.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/wt1sr/list_of_nfl_teams_by_media_market_size/

1) New York Giants / Jets 22421 New York, Hartford-New Haven1 , Wilkes-Barre--Scranton
2) Oakland Raiders / San Francisco 49ers 10645 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Monterey-Salinas
3) Chicago Bears 10606 Chicago, South Bend-Elkhart, Rockford
4) New England Patriots 9684 Boston (Manchester), Hartford-New Haven1 , Providence-New Bedford, Springfield-Holyoke
5) Philadelphia Eagles 8688 Philadelphia, Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York2
6) Carolina Panthers 8152 Charlotte, Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson, Greensboro--High Point--Wiston-Salem, Columbia
7) Dallas Cowboys 8071 Dallas-Fort Worth, Waco-Temple-Bryan, Sherman-Ada
8) Detroit Lions 8032 Detroit, Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, Toledo, Lansing, Windsor
9) Atlanta Falcons 6462 Atlanta, Macon
10) Houston Texans 6452 Houston, Beaumont-Port Arthur
11) Washington Redskins 5853 Washington (Hagerstown)
12) Miami Dolphins 5722 Miami-Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce
13) Minnesota Vikings 5073 Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Rochester-Mason City-Austin, Mankato
14) Cleveland Browns 4794 Cleveland-Akron (Canton), Youngstown
15) Denver Broncos 4727 Denver, Colorado Springs-Pueblo
16) Cincinnati Bengals 4666 Cincinnati, Dayton, Lexington
17) Seattle Seahawks4 4565 Seattle-Tacoma
18) Arizona Cardinals 4438 Phoenix (Prescott)
19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4417 Tampa-Saint Petersburg (Sarasota), Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne3
20) Pittsburgh Steelers 4396 Pittsburgh, Johnstown-Altoona-State College, Wheeling-Steubenville, Clarksburg-Weston
21) Baltimore Ravens 4248 Baltimore, Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York2 , Salisbury
22) Green Bay Packers5 4186 Milwaukee, Green Bay-Appleton, Madison
23) Saint Louis Rams 3986 Saint Louis, Champaign-Springfield-Decatur
24) Jacksonville Jaguars 3660 Jacksonville, Gainesville, Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne3
25) Indianapolis Colts 3266 Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Lafayette
26) Buffalo Bills6 2990 Buffalo, Rochester, Erie
27) Kansas City Chiefs 2903 Kansas City, Topeka, Saint Joseph
28) San Diego Chargers 2683 San Diego7
29) Tennessee Titans 2667 Nashville, Bowling Green
30) New Orleans Saints 2635 New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Biloxi-Gulfport

splatbass
09-24-2014, 09:03 AM
The Bucs won a Superbowl in our lifetime.

1. The Chiefs won a SB in my lifetime.

2. I don't live anywhere near KC, and I talk to people from all over the country every day (I work for the military), and everyone old enough remembers Vermiel and the Marty era. And the old farts my age remember Stram. No reason for you to be so insecure, the Chiefs aren't forgotten.

Chiefshrink
09-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Not true.

You watch. If the Chiefs beat Brady this Mon nite in Arrowhead it will all be about what's wrong with Tom and the Pats since they lost to a 2nd string of duct tape players holding the team together. As opposed to look at the upcoming young talent of the Chiefs and maybe they aren't as bad off as we thought.

Big markets and premier QBs of which is really your point of which KC does not have a premier QB.

Chiefshrink
09-24-2014, 09:07 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/wt1sr/list_of_nfl_teams_by_media_market_size/

1) New York Giants / Jets 22421 New York, Hartford-New Haven1 , Wilkes-Barre--Scranton
2) Oakland Raiders / San Francisco 49ers 10645 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Monterey-Salinas
4) New England Patriots 9684 Boston (Manchester), Hartford-New Haven1 , Providence-New Bedford, Springfield-Holyoke
6) Carolina Panthers 8152 Charlotte, Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson, Greensboro--High Point--Wiston-Salem, Columbia
13) Minnesota Vikings 5073 Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Rochester-Mason City-Austin, Mankato
19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4417 Tampa-Saint Petersburg (Sarasota), Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne3
20) Pittsburgh Steelers 4396 Pittsburgh, Johnstown-Altoona-State College, Wheeling-Steubenville, Clarksburg-Weston
21) Baltimore Ravens 4248 Baltimore, Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York2 , Salisbury
24) Jacksonville Jaguars 3660 Jacksonville, Gainesville, Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne3

Not talking population here. I am talking about Sports Media attention.

Mile High Mania
09-24-2014, 09:13 AM
You watch. If the Chiefs beat Brady this Mon nite in Arrowhead it will all be about what's wrong with Tom and the Pats since they lost to a 2nd string of duct tape players holding the team together. As opposed to look at the upcoming young talent of the Chiefs and maybe they aren't as bad off as we thought.

Big markets and premier QBs of which is really your point of which KC does not have a premier QB.

I guess it depends on how the game is won or lost. If KC dominates them and really looks good, I think you'll hear positive things. If Brady and the team limp through, making dumb mistakes and KC squeaks out a win... yeah, you'll be right.

Last year, KC was getting all sorts of love... until they finally lost their first game and the bottom fell out.

CapsLockKey
09-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Detroit. That franchise has been a joke for decades. I can't think of a more underachieving franchise. They had arguably the greatest RB of all time and did absolutely nothing. Now they have Megatron and big name talent all over the place and they continue to lay eggs. Chicago and Green Bay were practically handing the division to them on a platter last season and they still couldn't do anything of significance other than generate negative headlines.

Mile High Mania
09-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Detroit. That franchise has been a joke for decades. I can't think of a more underachieving franchise. They had the arguably the greatest RB of all time and did absolutely nothing. Now they have Megatron and big name talent all over the place and they continue to lay eggs. Chicago and Green Bay were practically handing the division to them on a platter last season and they still couldn't do anything of significance other than generate negative headlines.

Has anyone ever met someone that claimed to be a Lions' fan? I honestly think that may be the only team where I can't name someone I know that likes them.

splatbass
09-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Has anyone ever met someone that claimed to be a Lions' fan? I honestly think that may be the only team where I can't name someone I know that likes them.

A close friend of mine is a Lions fan. You must not get out much.

Strongside
09-24-2014, 10:46 AM
I'd have to go with either Carolina or Jacksonville, but Tampa is up there.

GloucesterChief
09-24-2014, 11:02 AM

I am guessing that only includes the US market. Buffalo has Toronto-Hamilton, New England has Montreal, and Seattle has Vancouver. All big cities in Canada.

They are also missing a lot of cities in the US. Seattle's market includes Portland and Boise. Washington includes Richmond and Norfolk, VA. New Orleans is basically all of Louisiana and central to western Mississippi. Philly has Trenton, Camden, and Cherry Hill NJ.

Pablo
09-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Jacksonville takes the cake.

We're somewhere in the Bottom 5 I'd guess.

Mile High Mania
09-24-2014, 11:09 AM
A close friend of mine is a Lions fan. You must not get out much.

Ah, you found one... you must be a jet setting global traveler.

srvy
09-24-2014, 11:38 AM
I pulled for the lions when Barry Sanders was there and chiefs weren't playing them.

TEX
09-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Yep, and it ALWAYS seems to be AT BUFFALO.

Easy 6
09-24-2014, 11:54 AM
I pulled for the lions when Barry Sanders was there and chiefs weren't playing them.

Ditto, and they also have the best looking throwback uni's by far.

Pablo
09-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Ditto, and they also have the best looking throwback uni's by far.I like the Bills throwbacks the best.

ChiefsCountry
09-24-2014, 12:27 PM

They have some weird media markets added together. The Chiefs should have Wichita and Omaha included if you use some of the same metrics across the board.

Jimmya
09-24-2014, 12:48 PM
I know that Jacksonville has been TERRIBLE so far. They are the worst team in the NFL. Who will they draft to help Bortles?

RealSNR
09-24-2014, 01:26 PM
I know that Jacksonville has been TERRIBLE so far. They are the worst team in the NFL. Who will they draft to help Bortles?

Gotta get him some offensive line help. Sounds like a LT may be in order /OldSchool

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Gotta get him some offensive line help. Sounds like a LT may be in order /OldSchool

Hey, at least they went in the right order if they do.

Baby Lee
09-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Detroit. That franchise has been a joke for decades. I can't think of a more underachieving franchise. They had arguably the greatest RB of all time and did absolutely nothing. Now they have Megatron and big name talent all over the place and they continue to lay eggs. Chicago and Green Bay were practically handing the division to them on a platter last season and they still couldn't do anything of significance other than generate negative headlines.

Lions were relevant throughout the Barry Sanders years.
Matt Millen ironically kept them relevant on the basis of what a horrid GM he was.
Megatron keeps them in the national conversation for being at times the dominant athlete in the league.
They don't have a record of achievement, but they have had aspects of their team that keep them in the national eye for good or bad for some time.

Marcellus
09-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Lions were relevant throughout the Barry Sanders years.
Matt Millen ironically kept them relevant on the basis of what a horrid GM he was.
Megatron keeps them in the national conversation for being at times the dominant athlete in the league.
They don't have a record of achievement, but they have had aspects of their team that keep them in the national eye for good or bad for some time.

I was going to post something similar to this. Its not all about winning the SB when it comes to NFL relevance.

Big time players can do the same thing. Big time coaches etc....

KC has not won a SB but we have had at least 1 HOF caliber player on the team fairly consistently the last 25 years.

rabblerouser
09-24-2014, 04:31 PM

Actually, you have it backwards :

If it weren't for the Chiefs, the majority of the country wouldn't know Kansas City exists.

Everywhere I go, when people find out I'm from Kansas City, they ask me about the Chiefs first and BBQ second.

It's all we're known for.

rabblerouser
09-24-2014, 04:33 PM
They have some weird media markets added together. The Chiefs should have Wichita and Omaha included if you use some of the same metrics across the board.
CoMo/Jeff City too

That's like 150000 people right there

Al Bundy
09-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Bucs aren't forgotten, the players that made the franchise a superbowl winner are still alive and in the media.

DaNewGuy
09-24-2014, 05:45 PM
My buddy who is only an occasional NFL fan, Knows who the Browns, Jags and raiders are, but he thought Kansas City was a college team

a pp roach
09-24-2014, 06:07 PM
My buddy who is only an occasional NFL fan, Knows who the Browns, Jags and raiders are, but he thought Kansas City was a college team

I just blame stuff like that on high level unfamiliarity with American cities.