PDA

View Full Version : Life White Elephant gift exchanges

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 08:00 AM
I am assuming that I am in the minority on this issue and conducting a poll to confirm it. I have a moral objection to the white elephant gifting that has become popular at Christmas parties over the years. In my mind it is in complete contrast to the spirit of Christmas, where giving is supposed to be just as important if not more so than receiving. But this system, game, whatever you want to call it plays upon mankind's greedy nature. "Oh, I want what they have so I'm just going to take it and stick them with this item I don't want."

To me this is a terrible way of doing this in any situation, but especially so at Christmas. I have abstained from this once before 3-4 years ago at a company Christmas party when a new gal came in and changed it from the secret Santa system we had been using for a long time. I am considering abstaining again at a friend's party here in a few weeks. Are my convictions on this wrong? Am I making too much of this? I honestly do not think so, but what does the brain trust at CP think? Poll forthcoming.

ptlyon
12-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I personally wouldn't like an elephant for a gift. I might be in the minority though.

BigMeatballDave
12-05-2014, 08:08 AM
White Elephant?

I don't think I've ever heard of this.

jiveturkey
12-05-2014, 08:10 AM
I just bought a 4 pack of VHS tapes for an upcoming white elephant party with friends. Good times are ahead.

bdj23
12-05-2014, 08:10 AM
You're over thinking it.

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 08:11 AM
White Elephant?

I don't think I've ever heard of this.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant_gift_exchange

Dartgod
12-05-2014, 08:14 AM

The goal of a white elephant party is usually to entertain rather than to gain.

I think they're a blast. Just have fun with it.

Pablo
12-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Remove the stick from your ass.

Buehler445
12-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Meh.

When I was in an office job I did a whole pile of shit that I didn't want to do. Most of it was worse than White Elephant.

Just put your time in and don't rock the boat.

EDIT: NM. Party. Just go, dick with people, have a good time, drink a lot. End.

The Christmas spirit is not sanctimonious. It's just a game you have to pay a nominal fee to pay for that occurs close to christmas. That's all.

Arrowhead Thunder
12-05-2014, 08:32 AM
they are fun, there are a bunch of crazy rules with dice in the one I do with my girl's family. Sometimes people want stuff, you can steal it from them and just give it to someone else. I got this gaudy "fancy" metal sleeve thing with a handle for bottles of wine. I guess it so you can drink that shit straight from the bottle.

KCUnited
12-05-2014, 08:34 AM
I got the last pick last xmas and just kept the 5 pounds of summer sausage I wound up with instead of trading for something better. Not everyone is a greedy douche about it.

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 08:39 AM
I do not expect to change anyone's mind on the subject. However, would it make any difference in my particular situation to those who are claiming it is all about having fun if the host said "NO GAG GIFTS. Pick out things that people actually want"?

Big Poppa Payne
12-05-2014, 08:39 AM
I got the last pick last xmas and just kept the 5 pounds of summer sausage I wound up with instead of trading for something better. Not everyone is a greedy douche about it.

Well if you got 5 pounds of summer sausage it sounds like you won anyway. That's the gift I would've wanted.

Our company Christmas party is tomorrow night and we're doing the stupid white elephant exchange too. Someone will be in for a big surprise because I'm bringing a stray cat from my neighborhood.

KCUnited
12-05-2014, 08:42 AM
I do not expect to change anyone's mind on the subject. However, would it make any difference in my particular situation to those who are claiming it is all about having fun if the host said "NO GAG GIFTS. Pick out things that people actually want"?

That is kind of dumb. If you're getting stuff people actually want, you may as well draw names.

Well if you got 5 pounds of summer sausage it sounds like you won anyway. That's the gift I would've wanted.

Our company Christmas party is tomorrow night and we're doing the white elephant exchange. Someone will be in for a big surprise because I'm bringing a stray cat from my neighborhood.
I wound up getting wasted and trying to hump everyone with it, so it worked out. I eventually threw it on the smoker and ate it.

Buehler445
12-05-2014, 08:45 AM

Meh. As long as it is an immaterial price range, don't worry about it.

(I have no idea what your income is)

NewChief
12-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Are you talking about White Elephant (gag gifts), or are you talking about Dirty Santa (where you steal other people's gifts)?

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Our company Christmas party is tomorrow night and we're doing the stupid white elephant exchange too. Someone will be in for a big surprise because I'm bringing a stray cat from my neighborhood.

LMAO

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 08:48 AM
That is kind of dumb. If you're getting stuff people actually want, you may as well draw names.

Honestly, if it were $5-10 gag gifts I'd probably have no objections.

NewChief
12-05-2014, 08:50 AM
We had a running Dirty Santa gag gift exchange with our group of friends. There was this awful couch that was notoriously disgusting that some of our friends had throughout college. After it became too disgusting even for them, it basically became their dogs' beds (they had two shedding labradors). After it became too torn up and disgusting for the dogs, they brought it to the Christmas as a "gift." (They hauled it in the back of their truck, and wrapped up a card that told the opener their gift awaited them outside).

Anyway, this thing got passed around from house to house for like 5 years as people would bring it every year as a gift. You know someone new was going home with it every year. By the end, it was just getting set in people's back yards and shit. One year, we finally just burnt the thing.

Raiderhater
Are you talking about White Elephant (gag gifts), or are you talking about Dirty Santa (where you steal other people's gifts)?
He called it a white elephant, but he said no gag gifts. So I guess it will technically be a Dirty Santa.

ptlyon
Honestly, if it were $5-10 gag gifts I'd probably have no objections.

Dildos are so expensive these days!

Dayze
12-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Remove the Ule Log from your ass.

FYP

Dayze
12-05-2014, 08:53 AM

LMAO
that's awesome.

NewChief
12-05-2014, 08:55 AM
He called it a white elephant, but he said no gag gifts. So I guess it will technically be a Dirty Santa.

Yeah. My extended family does Dirty Santa (there's like 30 adults who do it) for our Christmas party. I do see how it's against the "spirit" of Christmas, but it's a fun tradition as someone always brings something badass that everyone plots to get. I get how it's not really the Christmas Spirit, but it fits the personality of our family and is a competitive game.

We also do a full reeneactment of the nativity with costumes, speaking roles, singing parts, and reading of the scripture if that helps balance it out. ;)

We've been doing the Christmas story reenactment for over 40 years. I've played every role from baby Jesus (as a baby) to angel (part of the choir) to shepherd, to wise man, to Joseph (when my own child was a baby and could play Jesus) to the narrator. It's interesting, as we've had three generations of our family who have been able to play Jesus now.

We actually got written up in the newspaper for the tradition a few years back.

Mile High Mania
12-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Why does it have to be a white elephant and who says you're a minority, bro?

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah. My extended family does Dirty Santa (there's like 30 adults who do it) for our Christmas party. I do see how it's against the "spirit" of Christmas, but it's a fun tradition as someone always brings something badass that everyone plots to get. I get how it's not really the Christmas Spirit, but it fits the personality of our family and is a competitive game.

We also do a full reeneactment of the nativity with costumes, speaking roles, singing parts, and reading of the scripture if that helps balance it out. ;)

We've been doing the Christmas story reenactment for over 40 years. I've played every role from baby Jesus (as a baby) to angel (part of the choir) to shepherd, to wise man, to Joseph (when my own child was a baby and could play Jesus) to the narrator. It's interesting, as we've had three generations of our family who have been able to play Jesus now.

We actually got written up in the newspaper for the tradition a few years back.
Wow, that's pretty hard core on the nativity reenactment. And extremely neat. I've never heard of a family tradition like that before. :thumb:

FTR, I am by no means trying to suggest that those who participate in white elephant or dirty Santa gift exchanges are rotten people. I just think these things play to a selfish side of every human being's nature that we wouldn't want to promote. I don't know. I'm trying to reconcile it within myself, and am just unable to do so at this point.

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Why does it have to be a white elephant...

Clearly a racist invented the game.

...and who says you're a minority, bro?

I just assumed I would be given the popularity of these things.

Sorter
12-05-2014, 09:14 AM
1. Obtain Coelacanth
2. Use as White elephant gift
3. ?????
4. Profit

Earthling
12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
... I just think these things play to a selfish side of every human being's nature that we wouldn't want to promote. I don't know. I'm trying to reconcile it within myself, and am just unable to do so at this point.

Well the whole commercialization of X'mas does that pretty much.

BigMeatballDave
12-05-2014, 09:24 AM
I just bought a 4 pack of VHS tapes for an upcoming white elephant party with friends. Good times are ahead.

VHS? LMAO

BigMeatballDave
12-05-2014, 09:26 AM

Thanks. Sounds like office party stuff. A setting I've never worked in.

Dayze
12-05-2014, 09:29 AM
just walk in to the party and raise your hands and say "Hands Up No Gift"

ptlyon
12-05-2014, 09:32 AM

I prefer 'No gift, no peace'

Dayze
12-05-2014, 09:45 AM
give a gift of cigarellos and a novelty college degree, and go as Mike Brown.

Fairplay
12-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I think they're a blast. Just have fun with it.

I've seen many people take it way to seriously, big dummies.

Dayze
12-05-2014, 09:57 AM
my favorite white elephant exchange was probably a decade ago. our group at work, probably 8 of us, had one at a bowling alley for our party. everyone one of us brought alcohol - and we didn't even coordinate that effort.

holy balls, we got hammered. every one of us had to have our wives/husbands pick us up; and everyone one of us called in 'sick' the next day. LMAO. It was glorious.

Bearcat
12-05-2014, 10:26 AM
I think it works well for larger work groups where you might have newer people or people you simply don't know much about.

We've done a white elephant craft beer exchange (no shitty beer) for the past few years.

Fish
12-05-2014, 10:29 AM
We've been passing around the same package of bacon at our White Elephant party for 10 years now.

hometeam
12-05-2014, 10:30 AM
White elephant is a great way to do Christmas. My family has been doing it since I was about 10.

In fact, you could argue its a positive 'spirit of Christmas' thing rather than a negative. It's supposed to be fun. If your not having fun, its not the game, its you being a dick.

BigBeauford
12-05-2014, 10:58 AM
I have played a version where everything is already gift wrapped.

TimBone
12-05-2014, 11:25 AM

I prefer 'No gift, no peace'
Don't gift me bro!

Dayze
12-05-2014, 12:09 PM
LMAO

BigMeatballDave
12-05-2014, 12:15 PM
give a gift of cigarellos and a novelty college degree, and go as Mike Brown.

LMAO Awesome

Demonpenz
12-05-2014, 01:14 PM
There are better ways to use my time.

Rain Man
12-05-2014, 01:36 PM
I view these as a good way to get rid of things that my trash collector won't take. Last year I gave a bunch of half-full paint cans and dead batteries.

ptlyon
12-05-2014, 02:31 PM
I view these as a good way to get rid of things that my trash collector won't take. Last year I gave a bunch of half-full paint cans and dead batteries.

I bet there's a bunch of pissed women looking for you

ExtremeChief
12-05-2014, 02:46 PM
We do it for a non-family christmas party. Everything is wrapped. I prefer to never unwrap it until all of the stealing is completed. Some go ahead and unwrap it so you know what you are stealing. I think its a blast.

Rain Man
12-05-2014, 03:09 PM
I bet there's a bunch of pissed women looking for you

I've failed to satisfy more women than I can count.

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 03:20 PM
We do it for a non-family christmas party. Everything is wrapped. [B]I prefer to never unwrap it until all of the stealing is completed./B] Some go ahead and unwrap it so you know what you are stealing. I think its a blast.

Now that I can get behind. Someone having to choose to take from you not knowing what it is. I might do that just to fuck with everyone.

Dayze
12-05-2014, 03:23 PM
that's always how I've played it; keep everything wrapped until all swapping is done.

ptlyon
12-05-2014, 03:28 PM
that's always how I've played it; keep everything wrapped until all swapping is done.

Good advice for key parties too

Dayze
12-05-2014, 03:28 PM
obviously.

Raiderhater
12-05-2014, 03:29 PM
I've not seen anyone do that the few times I've been around it. It still doesn't change the way I feel about the activity, but at least you are throwing a twist in their to make people actually think before taking.

NewChief
12-05-2014, 03:29 PM
We do it for a non-family christmas party. Everything is wrapped. I prefer to never unwrap it until all of the stealing is completed. Some go ahead and unwrap it so you know what you are stealing. I think its a blast.

Yes. We unwrap then steal. The big controversial rule for us is whether to limit the number of times a gift can be stolen. Ours goes like this:

#1 gets gift and opens it.
#2 can open a gift from pile or steal #1's gift. Let's say he opens.
#3 can open a gift from pile or steal #1 or #2 gift. For this example, let's say he opens.
#4 can open a gift or steal from others. Let's say he steals from #2. That person can then go steal from #1. The second person MUST go to the pile. This keeps him from going back and stealing the gift (presumably something "good" that #4 just stole.

Now here's the controversial rule. One of our cousins likes to do it so that a given gift can only come into play 3 times. So assuming in the above example that the gift that #4 stole is a gold ring. #5 could steal it when his turn came up. Then #6 could steal from #5, and the gift would be "out of play" and belong to #6. I hate this rule. The drawback to not having this rule is that the very last person who has the highest number basically gets whatever gift they want.

Rain Man
12-05-2014, 03:33 PM

But isn't it just random then? You're only judging based off size and wrapping paper.

Dayze
12-05-2014, 03:35 PM
I suppose so. what made it fun was people would wrap things in pakcages other than what the gift came in. So you'd have a bunch of weird shaped boxes, OR, you'd have a box in the shape of something obvious - but then you weren't sure if it was an elaborate rouse. Sort of the "I know you think you know what this is.....and it might be. or maybe it's not"

I've played it both ways, opening and leaving things wrapped. both are fun. If you have creative people playing that enjoy tripping up people, the wrapped version is pretty fun.

Rain Man
12-05-2014, 03:37 PM
I would do a white elephant exchange like this:

1. Draw numbers for order.
2. Person #1 picks gift to open and draws from a deck of cards.
3. Person #2 picks gift to open and draws from a deck of cards.
4. If person #2 wants to exchange with someone (in this case #1 is the only candidate), they announce it and show their card. If person #2 wins, they trade gifts. If person #2 loses, they get the gift of the person who picked before Person #1. (In this case it would rotate around back to the last person. Minor technicality.)
5. Anyone who showed their cards then draws a new card.
6. Continue in the same vein with all other people.

El Jefe
12-05-2014, 04:05 PM

I wound up getting wasted and trying to hump everyone with it, so it worked out. I eventually threw it on the smoker and ate it.

I agree completely.

Sorce
12-05-2014, 04:11 PM
We are having one in the office this year, I purchased a copy of space jam on VHS.

Dayze
12-05-2014, 04:13 PM
we played a few years back in our office. some gal proposed the idea to my boss and he was excited about it. everyone brought in your typical white elephant gifts - not garbage, but just "WTF" type gifts. and my boss wraps up a bottle of Basil Haydens...

dude....uh, you're doing it wrong. Some lucky dude score a killer bottle of Bourbon because our boss was either too stupid to understand the game, or wanted to be Mr. Big Shot (or a combination of both)