PDA

View Full Version : Football New PAT Rules: What happens if...

Amnorix
09-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Enlightening memo from the NFL on all the weird things that can happen with the new rules on PATs, including hte ability to return a failed effort for points

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/174752/inside-slant-everything-you-want-to-know-and-then-some-about-the-nfls-new-pat-rule

The list below, culled from an NFL memo circulated among teams, covers just about every scenario you can think of. It mimics an extra-point attempt by the Packers against the Chicago Bears.

Block/Turnover Scenarios

1. Try from the 15-yard line. Kick is blocked and returned by the Bears across the Packers' goal line.

Result: Two points for the Bears.

2. Try from the 15-yard line. Kick is blocked and recovered behind the line of scrimmage (LOS) by the Packers and advanced across the Bears' goal line.

Result: Two points for the Packers.

3. Try from the 15-yard line. Kick is blocked and recovered beyond the LOS by the Packers and advanced across the Bears' goal line.

Result: Try no good. Ball is dead when recovered by the Packers beyond the LOS.

4. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted and returned by the Bears across the Packers' goal line.

Result: Two points for the Bears.

5. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted by the Bears, then fumbled, and recovered by the Packers and advanced across the Bears' goal line.

Result: Two points for the Packers.

6. Try from the 2-yard line. Packers running back Eddie Lacy fumbles, and ball is recovered by Packers receiver Jordy Nelson and advanced across the Bears' goal line.

Result: Try no good. Ball is dead when recovered by Nelson.

7. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted by Bears linebacker Jared Allen, who then fumbles, and ball is recovered by Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller and advanced across the Packers' goal line.

Result: Try no good. Ball is dead when recovered by Fuller.

8. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted by Allen, who takes it out of his own end zone and then goes back into the end zone on his own where he is tackled.

Result: Safety, one point for the Packers.

9. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted by Allen and returned to the Packers' 3-yard line, where Allen fumbles. Lacy bats loose ball from field of play into Packers' end zone and out of bounds.

Result: Safety, one point for Bears. Bat is legal, but result of play is a safety.

Penalty Scenarios

1. Try from the 15-yard line. Packers line up for kick. Offside called on Bears. Kick is good.

Options:

(a) Try good, enforce offside penalty on kickoff.

(b) Re-try for two points from the 1-yard line.

2. Try from the 15-yard line. Packers line up for kick. Offside called on Bears. Kick is no good.

Options:

(a) Re-kick with snap at 10-yard line.

(b) Re-try for two points from the 1-yard line.

3. Try from the 2-yard line. Packers line up to go for two points. Offside called on defense. Try is no good.

Options:

(a) Re-try for two points from the 1-yard line.

(b) Attempt kick with snap at 10-yard line.

4. Try from the 2-yard line. Packers line up to go for two points. Holding called on offense. Try is good.

Options:

(a) Re-try for two points from the 12-yard line.

(b) Attempt kick with snap at 25-yard line.

5. Try from 15-yard line. Packers line up for kick. Holding called on offense. Try is good.

Options:

(a) Re-try kick with snap at 25-yard line.

(b) Attempt for two points from the 12-yard line.

Amnorix
09-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Hopefully not Q, btw...

Amnorix
09-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Christ, a ONE point safety?!? This is all pretty freaking weird.

AustinChief
09-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Christ, a ONE point safety?!? This is all pretty freaking weird.

Yeah that freaked me out a bit.

ThaVirus
09-10-2015, 02:20 PM

Amnorix
Yeah that freaked me out a bit.

Very weird.

The penalty stuff is perfectly sensible. But all the permutations on fumbles/interceptions, returns for points, etc.....definitely complex.

No doubt at least one game this year will be decided by some of this stuff -- either a miss on a regular PAT (from 15) or some weird fumble/return thing.

wazu
Gonna be a lot of bizarre plays. I suspect these rules will not represent an advantage for the Chiefs. The coaches who play the odds and are generally good at things like clock management will benefit the most.

ChiefGator
09-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Excellent.. thanks for posting. I had been wondering about these scenarios:

4. Try from the 2-yard line. Packers line up to go for two points. Holding called on offense. Try is good.

Options:

5. Try from 15-yard line. Packers line up for kick. Holding called on offense. Try is good.

Options:

CaliforniaChief
09-10-2015, 02:26 PM
If #6 happened, well...that would be pretty nuts.

Amnorix
09-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Excellent.. thanks for posting. I had been wondering about these scenarios:

Options:

Options:

Yeah, penalties are really easy and logical. BAsically, kicking team gets to retry, and they can ignore whatever they did before and either go for 2 or kick. Whichever one they do, you adjust for the foul per normal rules (either full distance, or half the distance to the goal, as applicable).

It's the fumble whackiness that is going to be harder to follow. One point safeties and such. :eek:

Frosty
09-10-2015, 02:33 PM
6. Try from the 2-yard line. Packers running back Eddie Lacy fumbles, and ball is recovered by Packers receiver Jordy Nelson and advanced across the Bears' goal line.

Result: Try no good. Ball is dead when recovered by Nelson.

7. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted by Bears linebacker Jared Allen, who then fumbles, and ball is recovered by Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller and advanced across the Packers' goal line.

Result: Try no good. Ball is dead when recovered by Fuller.

8. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted by Allen, who takes it out of his own end zone and then goes back into the end zone on his own where he is tackled.

Result: Safety, one point for the Packers.

9. Try from the 2-yard line. Pass is intercepted by Allen and returned to the Packers' 3-yard line, where Allen fumbles. Lacy bats loose ball from field of play into Packers' end zone and out of bounds.

Result: Safety, one point for Bears. Bat is legal, but result of play is a safety.

Hah! I just knew there was different rules for different players. :tinfoil:

Big Smoke
09-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Die

TribalElder
09-10-2015, 04:09 PM
New PAT rules kinda take the air out of the game

alnorth
09-10-2015, 04:38 PM
New PAT rules kinda take the air out of the game

This, except the exact opposite.

Rain Man
09-11-2015, 07:13 AM
I want to see a game end with a 1-0 score, but I guess it's still impossible if the one-point safety can only happen on an extra point.

Dave Lane
09-11-2015, 07:31 AM
I'm disappointed that I can't think of a way the Chiefs win 1-0 now that there is a 1 point safety. If this was true Herm would just have to come back to football, that has to be a dream of his.

BigMeatballDave
09-11-2015, 07:31 AM
I like the fact that the opposing D can score 2 on a return.

Rain Man
09-11-2015, 07:51 AM
Also, these rules don't seem fair to Jordy Nelson.

Pitt Gorilla
09-11-2015, 07:52 AM
I want to see a game end with a 1-0 score, but I guess it's still impossible if the one-point safety can only happen on an extra point.This. I was wondering what would happen with a forfeit, but I suppose that would remain a 2-0 score.

bricks
09-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Confusing, confusing. Idiots. Why do they have to make the game more complicated for the fans? Again, idiots.

alnorth
09-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Confusing, confusing. Idiots. Why do they have to make the game more complicated for the fans? Again, idiots.

You are talking about the most complicated popular sport in existence. I think we can handle it. (Seriously, it is. We take for granted how complex American football is because we grew up with it, but people who are new to the game struggle to understand it)

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-11-2015, 08:42 AM
I want to see a game end with a 1-0 score, but I guess it's still impossible if the one-point safety can only happen on an extra point.

Come to Canada, brotha!

Bearcat
09-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Is any of that really new, besides where you can attempt a 2 point conversion after a penalty and maybe the 1 point safety (don't remember that ever happening in the past to know if it's a thing).

Rain Man
09-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Come to Canada, brotha!

You can do it in Canada? How? Is this somehow related to the magnetic north pole?

Valiant
09-11-2015, 10:10 AM
I just want to see the supposed marquee teams lose a couple big games to crap teams because of a missed XP a few times and then see if the rules reverse.

alnorth
09-11-2015, 11:56 AM
I just want to see the supposed marquee teams lose a couple big games to crap teams because of a missed XP a few times and then see if the rules reverse.

Not a chance in hell. The old PAT rules were a pile of stupid shit that is defended by anyone at all ONLY because they are used to it. If the only other alternative is the old PAT rules, then we'd be better off without a PAT at all and just accept that TD's are worth 6.

65TPT
09-11-2015, 06:48 PM
They should add punting field goals.