PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Facebook study: Chiefs fans NFL's most optimistic, Chargers bring up rear

scho63
09-11-2015, 05:28 PM
This will not end well for most of our Facebook fans.....:facepalm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/facebook-study--chiefs-fans-nfl-s-most-optimistic--chargers-bring-up-rear-200052268.html

Social media is supposed to be an interactive experience involving the sharing of life and experiences. Who knew that it could also gauge an entire fanbase's expectation levels prior to the NFL season? Apparently it can via Facebook's newly unveiled "sentiment analysis for sports."

Facebook recently examined the posting habits of NFL fans via their postings on the site to determine their hopefulness or despair ahead of the upcoming season. They determined, utilizing several factors, that Kansas City Chiefs fans were the most optimistic ahead of the season, based off their social interactions.

Most glum about their team's prospects? San Diego Chargers fans — by a clear margin — who seem to be hitting the unlike button on their season despite the recent contract extension given to quarterback Philip Rivers. Perhaps rumors of the team possibly relocating to Los Angeles have something to do with it.

“The rankings reflect conversations among NFL fans on Facebook over the course of the preseason," Facebook data editor Robert D'Onofrio told Shutdown Corner. "We started the analysis shortly after the first summer training camp opened on July 22 and continued through September 7. The rankings are based on the posts and comments made during this time period by the nearly 50 million people who like an official NFL team page on Facebook.”

To analyze these emotions, Facebook used their platform to create a 'sentiment classification system' that keyed in on various word patterns that are associated with a certain emotion.

"This enabled us to classify new posts as either positive or negative sentiment, along with an accuracy probability estimate," D'Onofrio said.

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/8GTiJMxwozr1JLUvMiS1Dg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-09-11/07785580-58c0-11e5-8c1c-7d54fcc36510_lk4f_dIpelCX8bNn-X7olWhStC2RaaemdzDakFkSfHU.jpg

kcxiv
09-11-2015, 05:29 PM
truefans thats why! we all know how the true chiefs fans are. not a big shocker at all.

scho63
09-11-2015, 05:34 PM
truefans thats why! we all know how the true chiefs fans are. not a big shocker at all.

True. :thumb:

I'm shocked at how the Steelers fans are so pessimistic. I've never met any pessimistic Steeler fans before. They always think they can beat anyone.

mdchiefsfan
09-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Lil Chiefy Strikes Again!!!

Bearcat
09-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Alex Smith, Ryan Tannehill, and Teddy Bridgewater.... so exciting.

KCTitus
09-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Heh...21 years of playoff futility and the Chiefs fans are most hopeful? I have to think this thing is rigged. There is no way Chiefs fans 'hopefulness' comes within a light year of Bronco fans arrogance and homerism.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2015, 05:53 PM
homers

beach tribe
09-11-2015, 06:06 PM
I'd like to see a year by year of this graph, although it probably doesn't exist.

Plenty of reason to be excited right now.

GoChargers
09-11-2015, 06:10 PM
We're deservedly last. There's nothing optimistic about another 9-7 no-playoffs season followed by moving to LA.

frozenchief
09-11-2015, 06:16 PM
1) we have no idea of the sample size. KC is a smaller market team. A few homers could skew the results;

2) apparently nobody from CP is posting about the Chiefs on Facebook or we would be more pessimistic than the Chargers

Gadzooks
09-11-2015, 06:18 PM
To analyze these emotions, Facebook used their platform to create a 'sentiment classification system' that keyed in on various word patterns that are associated with a certain emotion.

"This enabled us to classify new posts as either positive or negative sentiment, along with an accuracy probability estimate," D'Onofrio said.

Bullshit article written by a stupid asshole. Fuck that guy to say Chargers fans are negative. He's a fuckin' loser.

Any of you morons that buy into this garbage can die in an Aids tree suckin' on antifreeze.

beach tribe
09-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Bullshit article written by a stupid asshole. **** that guy to say Chargers fans are negative. He's a ****in' loser.

Any of you morons that buy into this garbage can die in an Aids tree suckin' on antifreeze.

I'm sure some of this data was taken when the team's future was uncertain.

Chromatic
09-11-2015, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see a year by year of this graph, although it probably doesn't exist.

Plenty of reason to be excited right now.

Was there ever a season where optimism wasn't high? I recall quite a bit even going into 2012.

Bearcat
09-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Fans of shitty teams don't realize how hard it is to win... fans of successful teams realize how difficult it is to do it once, much less repeat it, and of course some become spoiled brats.

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Fans of shitty teams don't realize how hard it is to win... fans of successful teams realize how difficult it is to do it once, much less repeat it, and of course some become spoiled brats.

LMAO

No.

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Bullshit article written by a stupid asshole. Fuck that guy to say Chargers fans are negative. He's a fuckin' loser.

I have to disagree.

The Chargers fans suck. Every single time I've watched the Chiefs at The Murph, our fans have outnumbered the Chargers fans.

The city is disinterested, the "fans" are disinterested and only a small amount of people actually care.

Bearcat
09-11-2015, 07:16 PM
LMAO

No.

:)

I'm sure it's much more shallow than that, but I think there's some truth to it overall... and of course, I'm talking about the average fan, like the graph, and not the long term/die hard types who have seen it all. People love an underdog, speak to dumb cliches like 'any given Sunday' and after a couple decades it's hard to think the team simply isn't due for some success eventually.

Not to say that's why Chiefs fans specifically are optimistic this year or have no other reason to be, but this place is optimistic every preseason.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-11-2015, 08:36 PM
This is why the clear looking glass of CP is so important to humanity:

These morons need to be put in their place!

Brock
09-11-2015, 11:33 PM
4000 yards and 28 tds for as11. Yes, that is very optimistic

Gadzooks
09-11-2015, 11:46 PM
I have to disagree.

The Chargers fans suck. Every single time I've watched the Chiefs at The Murph, our fans have outnumbered the Chargers fans.

The city is disinterested, the "fans" are disinterested and only a small amount of people actually care.

You're referring to beautiful Qualcomm stadium as the "Murph". That clearly shows how long it's been since your last visit.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2015, 12:11 AM
You're referring to beautiful Qualcomm stadium as the "Murph". That clearly shows how long it's been since your last visit.

I call it "The Murph" because it's a gigantic piece of 1960's shit.

The toilet lines are insane, as are the shitty immenities, parking sucks and there is no vibe.

It's garbage.

Gadzooks
09-12-2015, 12:24 AM
Fair enough. (going against the theme of the thread)

GoChargers
09-12-2015, 12:56 AM
I have to disagree.

The reason for this is simple. The whole Spanos family is like the owner from Major League, but instead of watching in horror as a rag-tag team of misfits win it all and save the franchise, they've successfully alienated the fanbase and are now moving the team out of town.

San Diego isn't some east-coast shithole like Cleveland or Buffalo where there is literally nothing else to do during football season. When ownership consistently refuses to hire a real coach or GM, refuses to spend money on the team, fields a 9-7 team that is the NFL version of wallpaper, thumbs their nose at the fanbase with shit like "Take A Chill Pill" and pretty much everything that comes out of Fabiani's mouth, and spends 20+ years holding LA over our heads like the Sword of Damocles, people are going to find other ways to spend their time on Sundays.

Gadzooks
09-12-2015, 01:27 AM
San Diego isn't some east-coast shithole like Cleveland or Buffalo where there is literally nothing else to do during football season. people are going to find other ways to spend their time on Sundays.

Yeah, like fuckin' hot broads n' stuff.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2015, 01:39 AM

LMAO

MotherfuckerJones
09-12-2015, 01:54 AM
Yeah, like ****in' hot broads n' stuff.

Yeah I'm sure :rolleyes:

Psyko Tek
09-12-2015, 01:56 AM
pats fans are most pessimistic
are you sure this graph has anything to do with reality?
or is it just backwards

Mr. Flopnuts
09-12-2015, 04:47 AM

Gadzooks! ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 07:26 AM
If SD has ANYTHING going for it in life, it's hot bitches per capita.

Gadzooks is motherfucking correct-o.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2015, 10:02 AM
If SD has ANYTHING going for it in life, it's hot bitches per capita.

Gadzooks is motherfucking correct-o.
It's insane.

I was in Carlsbad for a weekend in June, which technically isn't even SD, and the ratio of smoking hot chicks from age 21 to 40, is higher than any city I've ever been in, including Hollywood.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2015, 10:04 AM
It's insane.

I was in Carlsbad for a weekend in June, which technically isn't even SD, and the ratio of smoking hot chicks from age 21 to 40, is higher than any city I've ever been in, including Hollywood.

I have a couple of Lawrence to SD transplant friends who have been there for about 5 years now. They are both banging hotties.

Detoxing
09-12-2015, 10:09 AM
It's insane.

I can assure you, Carlsbad is every bit of SD. From the border to the base. Just different flavors in South, Central, East and North parts of the county.

stevieray
09-12-2015, 10:12 AM
whew. good thing they don't have a disappointment chart.

Detoxing
09-12-2015, 10:18 AM
San Diego isn't some east-coast shithole like Cleveland or Buffalo where there is literally nothing else to do during football season. When ownership consistently refuses to hire a real coach or GM, refuses to spend money on the team, fields a 9-7 team that is the NFL version of wallpaper, thumbs their nose at the fanbase with shit like "Take A Chill Pill" and pretty much everything that comes out of Fabiani's mouth, and spends 20+ years holding LA over our heads like the Sword of Damocles, people are going to find other ways to spend their time on Sundays.

Also, what a lot of people who aren't from SoCal don't understand is how much San Diegans HAAAATE L.A. Those from L.A don't seem to notice, but down here, L.A is resented. It's the little brother effect. L.A gets all the attention & all the success in sports.

They also HAAATE the Raiders.

So when the Raiders and Chargers team up in a joint proposal to send both teams to L.A ( LMAO ) it's like your wife is getting gangbanged by those two assholes who kicked your ass in HS, and then telling you, "It's ok, i still love you. It might still work out!"

Detoxing
09-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Also, i think it's fair for Chiefs fans to optimistic. There's been nothing but positivity coming from this franchise this year. I can understand why it feels like a special year.

*4-0 Preseason start, along with the Superbowl superstition regarding those starts....

*Eric Berry's return from fighting cancer when most thought he'd never play a down again

*Derrick Johnson looking every bit as explosive as pre-injury

*The glowing reports about Marcus Peters

*The signing of Jeremy Maclin, and then seeing it actually fleshing out in the preseason

*What is believed to be an improved offensive line

*Chris Conley has people feeling like we might have a legit answer for the #2 WR

*Kelce a year removed from surgery and should be poised to improve on last season

*Locking up Justin Houston

*The early return of Poe

*The ending of the Broncos/Manning era, which means the division is REALLY up for grabs

*There's a growing faith in Dorsey's ability to evaluate talent. Being able to flip a 5th for a player that woulda been cut; a few other cuts making active rosters.

*The perceived depth

*I think there's a trust in the coaching staff to develop these players

There's a lot of good buzz there and some of them tug on the heart strings. I think it's pretty easy to understand why Chiefs fans are optimistic.