PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL's Contingency Plan if a Team Suffers a Mass Casualty Situation (i.e. Plane Crash)

FloridaMan88
11-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Morbid yes, but interesting:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2016/11/29/brazilian-soccer-team-plan-crash-pro-sports-leagues-disaster-plans/94610148/

The NFL has had a disaster plan laid out for more than three decades.

"We do have a long-standing plan in the event NFL players are lost in a common accident," a league spokesman told USA TODAY Sports. "But today is not the day to discuss our plan out of respect for those who lost their lives."

According to ESPN, the league labels the loss fewer than 15 players killed a “Near Disaster,” which gives the impacted team the right to be the first to claim players off waivers for the remainder of the season. That team would continue the season. If the quarterback was among those lost, it would be allowed to select a third-stringer from another team,

The commissioner would decide whether a team would continue in a “Disaster” scenario where 15 or more players were killed. Along with the "Near Disaster" protocols if the team is able to finish the season, that team would get the first overall pick in the NFL Draft and there would be a dispersal draft where teams could protect as many as 32 players.

saphojunkie
11-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Oaklandhater furiously googling chiefs flight patterns and third string quarterbacks.

threebag
11-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Oaklandhater furiously googling chiefs flight patterns and third string quarterbacks.

LMAO

Tombstone RJ
11-29-2016, 04:41 PM
You want a disaster? Did you watch that Sunday Night Football game?

Chief_For_Life58
11-29-2016, 04:47 PM
"trying to keep horrible thoughts out of my brain of wanting alex to be in a near disaster"

cosmo20002
11-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Morbid yes, but interesting:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2016/11/29/brazilian-soccer-team-plan-crash-pro-sports-leagues-disaster-plans/94610148/

The NFL has had a disaster plan laid out for more than three decades.

"We do have a long-standing plan in the event NFL players are lost in a common accident," a league spokesman told USA TODAY Sports. "But today is not the day to discuss our plan out of respect for those who lost their lives."

According to ESPN, the league labels the loss fewer than 15 players killed a “Near Disaster,” which gives the impacted team the right to be the first to claim players off waivers for the remainder of the season. That team would continue the season. If the quarterback was among those lost, it would be allowed to select a third-stringer from another team,

The commissioner would decide whether a team would continue in a “Disaster” scenario where 15 or more players were killed. Along with the "Near Disaster" protocols if the team is able to finish the season, that team would get the first overall pick in the NFL Draft and there would be a dispersal draft where teams could protect as many as 32 players.

It's only a matter of time...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4vIZbDa__1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oaklandhater
11-29-2016, 04:55 PM

LMAO

Rain Man
11-29-2016, 05:40 PM
I always kind of figured that this was how we got Dorsey. (Disaster scenario, at least.)

CasselGotPeedOn
11-29-2016, 05:41 PM

Your conception was a real tragedy.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
11-29-2016, 05:42 PM
Clearly Tim Tebow wouldn't pass on the offer

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-29-2016, 06:35 PM
Chiefs have already exercised this plan. Pioli got us in a train wreck so we were given Andy Reid and a 3rd string QB.

notorious
11-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Chiefs have already exercised this plan. Pioli got us in a train wreck so we were given Andy Reid and a 3rd string QB.

Oh my.

mdchiefsfan
11-29-2016, 07:14 PM

LMAO

SAUTO
11-29-2016, 07:22 PM

ROFLROFL

ROFLROFLROFL

KChiefs1
11-29-2016, 08:39 PM
https://youtu.be/yms1CSfVmWE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 6
11-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Its an interesting, if horrible to contemplate, scenario that actually happens from time to time... the soccer team that crashed in the Andes and inspired the book "Alive", the Marshall football team, the soccer team in South America yesterday

Man, what a terrible thing that would be for the NFL

Danguardace
11-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Its an interesting, if horrible to contemplate, scenario that actually happens from time to time... the soccer team that crashed in the Andes and inspired the book "Alive", the Marshall football team, the soccer team in South America yesterday

Alive was based on a Uruguayan Rugby Team not Soccer.

This also happened to the Zambia soccer team in 1993.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-29-2016, 09:23 PM

Man, what a terrible thing that would be for the NFL unless it was a Donkey crash

Fixed

threebag
11-29-2016, 10:08 PM

Oklahoma State lost a plane
Wichita State lost a plane

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2016, 05:29 PM
I do disaster planning and tabletop exercises these days for my organization. Its tough. This year we did a scenario that had an active shooter in the building.

GayFrogs
11-30-2016, 06:48 PM
It's only a matter of time...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4vIZbDa__1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That resonated with me ever since I saw this for the first time...yep it was only a matter of time. I even borrowed it to try and help my girlfriend get over her fear of flying :)

HemiEd
11-30-2016, 07:00 PM

The Wichita State Football team was a tremendous tragedy in 1970.

lewdog
11-30-2016, 07:02 PM
If the entire Donkeys team went down in a plane crash, I wouldn't shed a tear......

unless I found out John Elway wasn't actually on that flight.

Jerm
11-30-2016, 07:08 PM
This would actually improve the Cleveland Browns....

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2016, 07:46 PM
If this happened to the Chiefs, well we know Christian Ponder is who they would take as the Chiefs QB.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-30-2016, 10:16 PM
If this happened to the Chiefs, well we know Blaine Gabbert is who they would take as the Chiefs QB.

FYP

rabblerouser
12-01-2016, 04:57 AM
Yeah. And if the refs had, they would've called holding on your Oline all night and the score would've never even been that close. ☺️

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-01-2016, 06:31 AM
I do disaster planning and tabletop exercises these days for my organization. Its tough. This year we did a scenario that had an active shooter in the building.

I wonder if Elway is working on his disaster plan because he ain't got no Peyton Manning 0.00 no more