PDA

View Full Version : Life Ancestry search help. Could use a couple of the site experts here

02-19-2017, 10:17 PM
OK, I've been dabbling in building the family tree again and hit a snag. My great grandmother on my mothers side has a brick wall after here. :)

Anyway, what I have found searching through the census reports and avaialble records is that she was born in Osage County Kansas but her parents were born in Scotland. I was able to find the family she was staying with in Topeka, she worked for them as a housemaid. (I also think here sister may have as well, listed on the census report at a servant) I tracked what I could of that family and it seems they all have died off.

Is there some way I can track records that might link her from Kansas back to Scotland? The family she worked for the parents were from Tennessee and Wisconsin but it appears that their two children were born in Kansas.

Based on what I have, I think her real parents from Scotland may have come here and passed away so the kids were taken in as servants for this Topeka family.

underEJ
02-20-2017, 03:56 AM
Do you know where she died? If you can find a death certificate, most of the time, they list the deceased along with names and birthplaces of both parents. If the ancestry site doesn't have the certificate, you may have to file a vital records request where she died.

underEJ
02-20-2017, 04:00 AM
After that, immigration records are next, but those are usually a go file a request type document. The family history centers have some, but that is mostly ship records. The actual immigration record is only available if they applied for citizenship and are located wherever the petition took place.

underEJ
02-20-2017, 04:17 AM
Scotland can be tough. My mom's grandfather was born in Scotland, but the church records were lost and apparently the 1901 census was not well done. It would have been the last shot before he immigrated a year later. He's married with kids in Illinois by 1910. Since he doesn't appear to have applied for citizenship, we've only had the birth place to work with over there. Hopefully, you are looking at someone with better records available in Scotland.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-20-2017, 06:42 AM
Or try, www.gimmeasammichNOWbitch.com

02-20-2017, 07:00 AM
Do you know where she died? If you can find a death certificate, most of the time, they list the deceased along with names and birthplaces of both parents. If the ancestry site doesn't have the certificate, you may have to file a vital records request where she died.
She died in Topeka but the records only show her husband. I've gone up and down Ancestry and nobody has been able to link her as far as I have.

After that, immigration records are next, but those are usually a go file a request type document. The family history centers have some, but that is mostly ship records. The actual immigration record is only available if they applied for citizenship and are located wherever the petition took place.

Thats where I'm concerned. The fact the 1910 census shows her living with this other family as an unpaid housemaid was surprising since I wouldn't think you would even report something like that. Seemed odd that her and her potential "sister" are listed as servant and housmaid on a census form. Since that family died off I don't really know how to approach this at all. The only documented information I have is that she was born in Kansas but her parents are from Scotland. I'm assuming the father from Tennessee is the one that filled out that 1910 census form.

scho63
02-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Sometimes online there are census records and/or immigration records from all the ships that arrived.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy
02-20-2017, 12:39 PM
I hit the same wall with my mother's ancestors. I can see that they were born in Russia and that's it. For my Scottish line it was the same thing until a relative up and went to Scotland. Spent like a month pouring through records. I actually found a decent amount of info by googling the family name and ship name. Then the family name and the town in Scotland. Found a FB group of distant relatives and some of them were able to help too.

underEJ
02-20-2017, 05:08 PM
My mom says Osage County has a genealogical research center. Topeka has one too. She said the fees are nominal for document searches and they might have newspaper clippings of obits or other stories related to how the sisters end up on their own. Do you have the parents names, even partial? Were they married here or in Scotland?

BWillie
02-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Okay so I just looked you up

Your family are Nazis. Your great great great father fell off the guard tour and had is left foot eaten by the zombie bear jew. The remainder of them fled with Hitler to the Moon where they still reside today.

Your welcome.

02-20-2017, 07:31 PM
I found the info I needed. She either ran away with her sister or they found employment at 15. Really odd