PDA

View Full Version : Life What's your busy time of the year at work?

Rain Man
05-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Do you have a job that has a "busy season"? Or is your work a smooth-flowing river of toil?

I'll put up a poll that contains the 12 months of the western calendar, and check off the months where you have to gird your loins and know that you're not going to take any time off. You can check more than one month if appropriate.

I'll then do the same for your "slow season". What's the time of year where you know it's going to slow down and you can get caught up on stuff.

As for me, my busy season is generally from June through August, and my slow season is December through February. It's not a massive swing by season, but it's noticeable.

If you are retired, you may answer for your former career.

Buehler445
05-12-2017, 10:58 PM
December - FYE/estimate
January - loan renewal
March - preemerge herbicide/fertilizer
April May - spring planting
July - wheat harvest
September/October - fall harvest/fall planting.

Third Eye
05-12-2017, 11:27 PM
I work in pension actuarial consulting. The vast majority of the plans are "calendar" plans, i.e. 1/1-12/31. As such our busy season is March-June. It takes a couple months for the data providers to get us the current year data, then we do our valuations and most clients want that done as quickly as possible. Busy season can get pretty hectic, but the rest of the year is reasonable. First couple weeks in January is also nuts as we prepare accounting valuations once the end of year yield rates are published.

Over Yonder
05-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Generally speaking, our busy time is from Labor Day to Easter. We are in the slow time now(yes:clap: ). It is kinda nice because the summer months I have time to do stuff. And winter, it's too cold to do anything much, might as well work right?

As far as time off, we earn time off for hours worked. I can get time off year round but it is first come- first serve on any particular day.

Hoover
05-13-2017, 03:50 AM
August-October in every even numbered year (election years) are busy as hell.
Then I don't do shit from Nov to December.

kc rush
05-13-2017, 04:52 AM
There is always something going on so I stay busy year-round. My busiest time is September through November followed by February through April. Late December and June/July tend to be my lightest time periods.

Coochie liquor
05-13-2017, 06:10 AM
I work in construction, and we have been ridiculously busy for over a year. I rarely take days off work and work as much as possible. Because I've been through the rough times and trying to find work, I always keep that in my mind when deciding to turn down work (which I seldom do). Been very blessed the past year as far as work goes.

KS Smitty
05-13-2017, 06:13 AM
Today and tomorrow are hands down out busiest days of the year. I work at a fresh produce market/garden center. "Mom loves out flowers" is not just an ad line and with over 100 varieties of tomatoes and peppers we also have vegetable gardeners pouring this time of year.

notorious
05-13-2017, 06:22 AM
Scheduled 2 months out through winter and 3-4 months out during the summer the past 5 years.

The other guys in my business complain about no work during the December- February months. They lack initiative.

Bugeater
05-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Memorial Day to Labor Day. That's when the pool is open, the ACs are running, and the kids are out of school so they're busy destroying the community.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-13-2017, 07:30 AM
The penis cares not about what Month it is.

BlackHelicopters
05-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Schedule is packed year round.

BucEyedPea
05-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Travel a lot starting at the end of January through April tapering off in May. That is every other weekend. Summers off. A bit of a pick-up in Sept travel and then one in November.

This past winter I opted out for once a month.

BucEyedPea
05-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Memorial Day to Labor Day. That's when the pool is open, the ACs are running, and the kids are out of school so they're busy destroying the community.

ROFL

ChiefsCountry
05-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Memorial Day to Labor Day

ChiTown
05-13-2017, 10:12 AM
No true busy season for me, but if I had to pick one, it would be late Q3 early Q4 of every year. That's typically when bids are due, and product testing is going on. But truly, it's a sprint to the finish all year long. But, I have absolutely no complaints. I dig what I do.

kccrow
05-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Usually between Feb and October... People start ordering homes late winter and then they get set through the spring/summer/fall... tails off for a few months heading into winter.

Frosty
05-13-2017, 10:42 AM
My busy season starts in late August when the potatoes start coming out of the ground and going into storage. Nobody seems to want to check that the electronics still work after sitting empty most of the summer so everything becomes an emergency and the phone never stops ringing.

Right now is the slow season for the dealers but I am still pretty busy with new product development. At least I can work in peace.

ModSocks
05-13-2017, 10:42 AM
January - spring/summer is good to us.

But the holiday season can be really slow.

The Franchise
05-13-2017, 11:14 AM
It honestly all depends. Now that our elections have moved from odd to even years, we only have upcoming elections in June and November of even years. That's the Gubenatorial Primary and General and then the Presidential Primary and General. But then you have to factor in any special elections that get called. This can happen anytime.

Each election takes months of planning and then a month of clean up afterwards.

Buehler445
05-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Usually between Feb and October... People start ordering homes late winter and then they get set through the spring/summer/fall... tails off for a few months heading into winter.

I thought you were a cpa? Are you not in public anymore?

Dunit35
05-13-2017, 07:42 PM
When it starts to get hot, we get busy. The heat makes people fight more.

The winter is usually slower. People must be too cold to fight.

I am a traffic officer, I write a lot of tickets. so, when it's bad weather I'm either bored as hell or working tons of accidents. People see a bit of snow or rain, and suddenly everyone freaks out and crashes.

kccrow
05-13-2017, 07:49 PM
I thought you were a cpa? Are you not in public anymore?

Never have been public. I hate public accounting. All you do is taxes, audits, and attestation. I like managerial accounting. I quit doing my business of going into places and doing their stuff and went back to working for a single private enterprise.

Easy 6
05-13-2017, 07:59 PM
If I stick with grain hauling, its definitely september and october... harvest clocks in at up to 18 hours a day 6-7 days a week

But I'm not so sure I'm staying with ag at this point, I've never worked for more cantankerous or picky people than farmers in my life, and that includes the Army... they can be very hard people to please

Pretty sure its time to move over to a dump truck on a construction outfit

Buehler445
05-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Never have been public. I hate public accounting. All you do is taxes, audits, and attestation. I like managerial accounting. I quit doing my business of going into places and doing their stuff and went back to working for a single private enterprise.

Agreed. Public is balls. Good for you, hopefully your life is simplified now.

Buehler445
05-13-2017, 08:03 PM
If I stick with grain hauling, its definitely september and october... harvest clocks in at up to 18 hours a day 6-7 days a week

But I'm not so sure I'm staying with ag at this point, I've never worked for more cantankerous or picky people than farmers in my life, and that includes the Army... they can be very hard people to please

Do you own your own truck? Do you want to haul for us for harvest? You can stay with us. We pay well.

Easy 6
05-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Do you own your own truck? Do you want to haul for us for harvest? You can stay with us. We pay well.

Nope, no truck just a driver

You're in Nebraska iirc?

Buehler445
05-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Nope, no truck just a driver

You're in Nebraska iirc?

Nah, Western Kansas. Take vacation and drive our truck?

EDIT: I was in Sidney when I worked for Cabelas.

Easy 6
05-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Nah, Western Kansas. Take vacation and drive our truck?

Would seriously consider it, you own tractors with hoppers or rent them for harvest? An adventure away from home sounds pretty cool actually, we can talk more through pm

I have some connections with construction outfits around here currently being looked in to, but I'm always willing to listen

Buehler445
05-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Would seriously consider it, you own tractors with hoppers or rent them for harvest? An adventure away from home sounds pretty cool actually, we can talk more through pm

I have some connections with construction outfits around here currently being looked in to, but I'm always willing to listen

I'll shoot you a smoke.

Iowanian
05-13-2017, 08:32 PM
I'm getting absolutely slammed right now.

If I want to turkey hunt or bow hunt...work is boiling.

ghak99
05-13-2017, 08:37 PM

LMAO

You're putting it nicely. I sure couldn't work for me.

Easy 6
05-13-2017, 08:59 PM
LMAO

Oh, I bet someone is already putting up with you :D

The guy I'm with now is a great person, we get along like old friends outside of the work... but my God is he ever a control freak, can hardly go take a piss without having to text him first

I was his first full time driver, he usually just contracted some outfit to do it for him and he just doesnt quite know how to handle having an actual employee run things without him being there

'check your oil this morning? what about your tires?'... yes, Dad... I didnt forget my ass this morning

Buehler445
05-13-2017, 09:09 PM
LMAO

ROFL

I try to be good to the employees. I really do. But sometimes I say horrible horrible things to my dog. :D

Seems as though I've had an incredible rash of stupid lately and my patience is wearing thin. I haven't lost my shit yet, but it's getting closer by the day.

ghak99
05-13-2017, 10:33 PM
ROFL

I try to be good to the employees. I really do. But sometimes I say horrible horrible things to my dog. :D

Seems as though I've had an incredible rash of stupid lately and my patience is wearing thin. I haven't lost my shit yet, but it's getting closer by the day.

Seems to be a trend.

The best guy I've ever worked for would seemingly go on random cussing rants. I think I was 13 the first time I saw one. We was moving a bull who wasn't cooperating the best but it really wasn't a big deal and all of a sudden I hear, Shit fuck you stupid cunt Herm fuck shit Edwards, on and on and suddenly see a brick fly by and smack the bull in the head royally pissing him off. Keep in mind, he's old enough he can't run and I'm looking at him like, did you really just chuck a brick that far? LMAO He stopped and looked right at me and all calmly was like, now you know I'm not talking to you, right? I was sure I nearly saw the devil try to crawl out of a human and eat a cow.

I still think about that day when I see him sometimes, but now I understand I just caught a glimpse of what happens when pushing massive amounts of money around while working way too many hours a day when your pecker no longer works catches up to you.