PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The most shocking headline you'll see all year.

Direckshun
09-19-2017, 01:08 PM
http://deadspin.com/los-angeles-doesnt-care-about-the-chargers-1818503650

Los Angeles Doesn't Care About The Chargers
Barry Petchesky
Yesterday 9:07am

Sunday saw the return of the Los Angeles Chargers, their first home game since 1960, and no one’s very excited about it.

New and relocated teams usually get a first-year attendance bump, just from the novelty. The Chargers are a good team with an offense that’s fun to watch. Their temporary home, a soccer-specific stadium, is intimate and unique. There are plenty of reasons the Chargers might draw a good crowd. None of those reasons, apparently, are enough to overcome the hard realties of deep, deep disinterest:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Opening kickoff crowd for <a href="https://twitter.com/Chargers">@chargers</a> game today - this can&#39;t be blamed on the weather <a href="https://t.co/aKrXr9Bmiq">pic.twitter.com/aKrXr9Bmiq</a></p>&mdash; Matt Baylow (@MattBaylow) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattBaylow/status/909575488548376576">September 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A stadium that seats 27,000 couldn’t sell out, drawing an officially (generously) announced crowd of 25,381 for a 19-17 loss to the Dolphins. Making that attendance figure even sadder is that half of paying fans weren’t there to see the Chargers. “There were a lot of Miami fans out there,” Melvin Gordon said. “I think it was around 50-50.”

Including, perhaps, the person in charge of setting off the cannon after Chargers scores. Listen for the boom as Younghoe Koo missed a 44-yarder that would’ve won the game:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Younghoe Koo misses his try for the winning kick... Dolphins win.<br><br>Final:<br>LA - 17<br>Miami - 19<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash">#Chargers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dolphins?src=hash">#Dolphins</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Stubhub?src=hash">#Stubhub</a> <a href="https://t.co/fj0qepZJZW">pic.twitter.com/fj0qepZJZW</a></p>&mdash; Rich Ohrnberger (@ohrnberger) <a href="https://twitter.com/ohrnberger/status/909553023680110592">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

You’ll also hear a lot of cheers in that video. Those are the Dolphins fans, and they confused Philip Rivers all afternoon:

“I heard the roar before I saw the official’s signal,” Rivers said. “I wasn’t sure which roar it was.”

Well, and why not? The Chargers have done everything in their power to alienate their old fan base (a plane towed a banner over the stadium calling Dean Spanos the worst owner in sports), and little to cultivate a new fan base. They fled San Diego three full seasons before their new stadium will be ready, and in the meantime they’re charging $100 for parking. They’re already second fiddle in their new city, a subordination that will be even more marked once they move in with the Rams. Philip Rivers said the team needs to win and it’ll see better attendance, but Los Angeles isn’t exactly tabula rasa for fandom. There are a lot of people from all over, with their own rooting interests, and a strong strain of Raiders fandom runs through the city, and any fans excited for a new team probably jumped aboard with the Rams last year. In short, it is difficult to picture a combination of circumstances and sensibilities that would lead a person to becoming a Los Angeles Chargers fan.

Let’s be clear: None of this is an indictment of those Chargers fans that exist or of Angelenos. You’re under no obligations to go to games, and considering how much better television is than the live NFL experience, the incentives are already slim. The NFL is a business, and if people aren’t consuming a product, that’s a sign of a failure of the company to offer a product people want to consume. And, potentially, a fatal misread of the market. Could it be possible, after the NFL spent decades using Los Angeles as a threat to strong-arm cities into building stadiums to keep their teams, that Los Angeles didn’t actually want its own team, let alone two? It’s still very early, but:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Kickoff at the Coliseum between the Rams and Redskins. Not many here to see it. <a href="https://t.co/XAwandU2l6">pic.twitter.com/XAwandU2l6</a></p>&mdash; Lindsey Thiry (@LindseyThiry) <a href="https://twitter.com/LindseyThiry/status/909513998504124417">September 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

DaFace
09-19-2017, 01:10 PM
I kind of hope both the Rams and Chargers fail miserably and are looking for a new home in 5 years.

Beef Supreme
09-19-2017, 01:12 PM
I don't know how they didn't see this coming.

DaFace
09-19-2017, 01:14 PM
One thing to be clear about, though, the $100 parking thing is overblown. They have a more distant lot that is only $40, and they offer free shuttles from nearby where you can park for nothing.

Sassy Squatch
09-19-2017, 01:16 PM
LMAO even the mayor was like "meh, would have been cool with just 1 team."

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 01:16 PM
I kind of hope both the Rams and Chargers fail miserably and are looking for a new home in 5 years.

The Rams are locked in because Kroenke's spending $3 billion of his own money to build the new stadium (and home of the NFL Network), which won't be completed until 2020.

The Chargers should go back to San Diego immediately, if not sooner.

Reerun_KC
09-19-2017, 01:17 PM

The owner I fly for is seriously trying to buy an NFL franchise.

Would be interesting to see if he goes after the chargers, since we're in Napa and SoCal all the time anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Direckshun
09-19-2017, 01:22 PM
The Rams are locked in because Kroenke's spending $3 billion of his own money to build the new stadium (and home of the NFL Network), which won't be completed until 2020.

The Chargers should go back to San Diego immediately, if not sooner.

The Rams are the only team I think that's doing this right.

They left a city that was lukewarm about them to go to a huge market that has a history with them. Instead of begging for public funding, they're going to fork over their own money to build a stadium, and from the looks of it, it's going to be the nicest one in the league (until that Vegas one theoretically gets built). They've put a fair amount of effort into branding and messaging. And their team is pretty well coached and has the key pieces in place for a swift rebuild.

The Chargers didn't even think it through. All the way down to their logo this was just corporate and mindless. LA doesn't give two shits about this team and never has, and that's going to get even worse when the Chargers ask the public for money on a stadium. They may have to pay the Rams for rent.

Earthling
09-19-2017, 01:23 PM
I think they'll probably be fine in another twenty years or so.

Grim
09-19-2017, 01:26 PM
I thought that Los Angeles made it clear decades ago that they're not much of a football town.

Hoover
09-19-2017, 01:26 PM
In five years the Rams will be the only team in LA and who knows, maybe the Chargers will just return to San Diago under new ownership.

Hell the real problem in San Diago is that the owner not only wants a stadium, but a shopping complex attached. It's stupid. There are plenty of people in this world who would love to own an NFL team. Go find one and make SD work.

Simply Red
09-19-2017, 01:30 PM
we got this Sunday.

ChiefsCountry
09-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Chargers should consider a rebrand like the Oilers did when they moved to Nashville.

Reerun_KC
09-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Chargers should consider a rebrand like the Oilers did when they moved to Nashville.

They should do that and move to a more inviting city.

ChiefsCountry
09-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Spanos sell the team to someone with LA connections and rebrand it, it will work in LA just fine.

Eleazar
09-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Chargers drawing 20k, mostly road fans, and playing in a soccer stadium.

Rams can't fill their stadium to 50% giving tickets away.

49ers play in front of an empty stadium.

Raiders are leaving a dump of a city/stadium for another state entirely.

40 million people and "the world's 6th largest economy", we're always told... and CA can't support 1 NFL team.

Prison Bitch
09-19-2017, 01:45 PM

The KCK Rams

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Chargers drawing 20k, mostly road fans, and playing in a soccer stadium.

Rams can't fill their stadium to 50% giving tickets away.

49ers play in front of an empty stadium.

Raiders are leaving a dump of a city/stadium for another state entirely.

40 million people and "the world's 6th largest economy", we're always told... and CA can't support 1 NFL team.

People in Los Angeles don't want to waste their Sunday by sitting in a 95 year old stadium while watching shitty football.

Levi's Stadium is supposedly a joke. There's no shade and therefore, no protection from the sun and heat.

BlackOp
09-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Spanos should just sell the team...he's ruined it. There is no going back now...

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Spanos should just sell the team...he's ruined it. There is no going back now...

I think they moved to LA because they thought that the Franchise Value would rise significantly, making for a bigger sale.

Unfortunately for the Spanos family, the value only increased a few million dollars, according to Forbes, whereas the Rams value doubled.

BryanBusby
09-19-2017, 02:41 PM
No chance the Chargers move back without a change at ownership. The city wouldn't cut the Spanos any deal at all, the owners don't want to forego the relocation funds and they don't even have the money to build a stadium.

RunKC
09-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Salt Lake City
Memphis

Chargers should look at putting their NFL team in one of these cities. They would surely draw more fans than San Diego or LA.

O.city
09-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Memphis would be good but a lot of Arkansas is cowboys country and I doubt jerry would go for that

Reerun_KC
09-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Salt Lake City
Memphis

Chargers should look at putting their NFL team in one of these cities. They would surely draw more fans than San Diego or LA.

OKC wouldn't fly. NFL can't compete with OU/OSU. Not enough money to go around.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Memphis would be good but a lot of Arkansas is cowboys country and I doubt jerry would go for that

Jerry is definitely against San Antonio and I'm sure the Adams family would be against Memphis.

Jerry also might fight against Oklahoma City and claim that as his territory as well.

The best solution is for the Chargers to return to San Diego but if that can't happen, sharing a stadium with the 49ers makes more sense than staying in Los Angeles.

seaofred
09-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Salt Lake City
Memphis

Salt Lake City would be cool. I've also wondered what Portland, OR would do with an team.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Salt Lake City would be cool. I've also wondered what Portland, OR would do with an team.

Portland's too "hipster" to host an NFL team.

Plus, the Seahawks reign supreme up there.

BryanBusby
09-19-2017, 02:57 PM
STL had a pretty decent offer on the table for the Rams before they ran.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Salt Lake City would be cool.

The SLC metro population is 1.1 million.

I seriously doubt they could support an NFL team.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 02:59 PM
STL had a pretty decent offer on the table for the Rams before they ran.

Yeah but a move to St. Louis isn't going to increase the value of the franchise.

Most likely, it would plummet.

BryanBusby
09-19-2017, 03:00 PM

I don't think the region would be too keen on Sunday games, either.

Yeah but a move to St. Louis isn't going to increase the value of the franchise.

Most likely, it would plummet.
I don't know how they're going to avoid a plummet beyond selling it immediately.

notorious
09-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Who wants to play there?

It's a terrible idea.

RunKC
09-19-2017, 03:05 PM
OKC has done extremely well having some of the best attendance for an NBA team. They are also a football state through and through.

I think they would be the best bet.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 03:06 PM
I don't know how they're going to avoid a plummet beyond selling it immediately.

It's risen just $2 million since the move but it's still above $2 billion.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 03:07 PM
OKC has done extremely well having some of the best attendance for an NBA team. They are also a football state through and through.

I would be shocked if OKC built a $1 billion dollar plus stadium for a team like the Chargers.

Reerun_KC
09-19-2017, 03:08 PM

Nope. College football reigns supreme. People aren't going to give up a lifetime of family traditions to support an NFL team.

loochy
09-19-2017, 03:09 PM

Meh

Green Bay has a population of 105k and is still a full two hour drive from Milwaukee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
09-19-2017, 03:10 PM
I would be shocked if OKC built a $1 billion dollar plus stadium for a team like the Chargers.

OKC isn't big enough. There's only 3.5 m in the whole state.

underEJ
09-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Attendance is not good, but these kickoff pictures tell a slightly different story than the captions.

Should read: People in LA cannot get to any NFL event on time. --and then later on when they show up, whether supporting home or visiting team, the Chargers still can't quite fill a really really small stadium.

The rams will be fine eventually. No one wants to go to that stadium, but lots of people are talking about getting to the new one when it is finished.

Prison Bitch
09-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Jerry is definitely against San Antonio and I'm sure the Adams family would be against Memphis.

Jerry also might fight against Oklahoma City and claim that as his territory as well.

The best solution is for the Chargers to return to San Diego but if that can't happen, sharing a stadium with the 49ers makes more sense than staying in Los Angeles.

This^

It should've obv to everyone

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Meh

Green Bay has a population of 105k and is still a full two hour drive from Milwaukee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Come on, man. Really?

O.city
09-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Well, uncle fester can fuck off

Eureka
09-19-2017, 03:24 PM
It doesn't help that both teams lost yesterday lol.

I was at the Oakland game Sunday and it was packed.

LaDexter
09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Vanderbilt beats Alabama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RunKC
09-19-2017, 03:28 PM

They have some sneaky money there though. Oil guys like Harold Hamm, Clay Bennet is another billionaire, T Boone Pickens is there as well. I think if they got their resources together they would do it.

It's a long shot, but I guarantee attendance would be significantly better in OKC than SD and LA combined. That is a big football state.

O.city
09-19-2017, 03:38 PM
They have some sneaky money there though. Oil guys like Harold Hamm, Clay Bennet is another billionaire, T Boone Pickens is there as well. I think if they got their resources together they would do it.

It's a long shot, but I guarantee attendance would be significantly better in OKC than SD and LA combined. That is a big football state.

It's Dallas cowboy country. They aren't goin in there

Reerun_KC
09-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Huge college football state. NFL? Cowboys and Broncos.

JoeyChuckles
09-19-2017, 04:37 PM
We better have a good red contingent there on Sunday or I will be disappointed. I'm looking at you Dane.

Halfcan
09-19-2017, 05:35 PM
All those empty seats will be filled with Chief fans this weekend.

Cornstock
09-19-2017, 10:33 PM
A real tragedy that they had to move. I always enjoyed going to the games while on vacation there. The light rail drops you off right at the gate, and it was a fun SoCal and fish taco atmosphere. They could even get loud at times.

But with terrible city management, terrible franchise management, and a stadium in disrepair, all of the cards had been played.

Cornstock
09-19-2017, 10:41 PM

I felt confident that if the Raiders would've moved to San Antonio area they would have done well. The proposed stadium site was between Austin and San Antonio, near New Braunfels.

It would have been easily accessible for fans from both cities, around 45 min away for most people along I35. There's enough football passion there, and the Raiders culture would've meshes well with Spurs culture. Gerald Jones be damned, they would've been fine.

But I'm sure they'll do well in Las Vegas as well.

CaliforniaChief
09-19-2017, 10:50 PM
They should see if New Orleans wants another team so they can repurpose that "Fight for LA" thing.

Buns
09-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Raiders are already big in Vegas. Now, it seems like every other person is repping silver and black. They're going to flourish here.

BossChief
09-19-2017, 10:59 PM
There's too much to do in LA for people to go watch a boring game.

I guarantee you that if the Rams or Chargers become good, the city will support the teams that are worth watching.

If Mahomes went to LA they would probably sell the stadium out in no time.

redfan
09-20-2017, 07:13 AM
A real tragedy that they had to move. I always enjoyed going to the games while on vacation there. The light rail drops you off right at the gate, and it was a fun SoCal and fish taco atmosphere. They could even get loud at times.

But with terrible city management, terrible franchise management, and a stadium in disrepair, all of the cards had been played.

Neatest thing about the whole game was the trolley ride into the stadium.
A lovely little stadium, Qualcomm was.

Stinger
09-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Just throwing this out there...... London Chargers or Mexico City Chargers?

displacedinMN
09-20-2017, 08:32 AM

How many cities are there left that can support an NFL team?

Reerun_KC
09-20-2017, 09:28 AM
How many cities are there left that can support an NFL team?

None in Oklahoma. Just not enough fan interest with Dallas 2.5 hours down the road and most of western OK are broncos fans.

Boomer Sooner and Pistol Pete fans aren't going to give up their to support the NFL on a full time basis.

SuperChief
09-20-2017, 09:30 AM
What about Omaha? I know, I know, low population, blah blah. But there's a LOT of money in that town and a ton of football passion in the surrounding area. Would be interesting.

SuperChief
09-20-2017, 09:31 AM
None in Oklahoma. Just not enough fan interest with Dallas 2.5 hours down the road and most of western OK are broncos fans.

Boomer Sooner and Pistol Pete fans aren't going to give up their to support the NFL on a full time basis.

What if - and I know this sounds crazy - what if they supported both??

Reerun_KC
09-20-2017, 09:34 AM
What if - and I know this sounds crazy - what if they supported both??

Well the last time that was brought up around here there was a lot of push back from fans.

Plus college is affordable. Not enough disposable income out here to pay NFL pricing.

ping2000
09-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Salt Lake City would be cool. I've also wondered what Portland, OR would do with an team.Portland? Fucking fruit loops would demand a synthetic football and all vegan concessions.

Rasputin
09-20-2017, 02:02 PM
I'd like to see the Chargers go to St. Louis.

3rd&Long
09-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Here's a truism I happen to believe: All business success is sales-marketing success AND the opposite is true as well. So if that's the case, the LAC need to do a far better job of sales-marketing in LA.

Start with cutting the parking fee down to a reasonable sum of say $20. Encourage the players to make personal appearances at schools and other public functions. Cut ticket prices and include things like a 3 game family value pack that includes a tray of cheap to provide food such as 4 hot dogs, and soft drinks with every visit. Play up the intimate stadium where no extended post game traffic jams will happen.

There's far more moving parts to making the LAC a 'wanted' ticket but these would do for a start. Of course the best promotion of all is a winning team.

DJ's left nut
09-20-2017, 02:58 PM
The Rams are the only team I think that's doing this right.

They left a city that was lukewarm about them to go to a huge market that has a history with them. Instead of begging for public funding, they're going to fork over their own money to build a stadium, and from the looks of it, it's going to be the nicest one in the league (until that Vegas one theoretically gets built). They've put a fair amount of effort into branding and messaging. And their team is pretty well coached and has the key pieces in place for a swift rebuild.

The Chargers didn't even think it through. All the way down to their logo this was just corporate and mindless. LA doesn't give two shits about this team and never has, and that's going to get even worse when the Chargers ask the public for money on a stadium. They may have to pay the Rams for rent.

Spanos got called on a bluff, that's all there is to it.

Spanos: "If you don't build my new stadium, I'm going to L.A..."

SD: "Fuck off"

Spanos: "No seriously guys, I'm going to leave. I'll give you one more chance to build me a new stadium or I'm really going to go to L.A..."

SD: "Fuck. Off."

Spanos:.....{sheepishly packing his suitcase}...."well fine, I'm just gonna go then. You guys are mean." {stomps out of room like jilted toddler}

Everything - absolutely everything - about the SD conundrum had a really easy solution and one the NFL should've absolutely forced: Make Spanos build or sell. You don't give him his relocation. You don't let him fleece SD taxpayers. You tell him he can build his own goddamn stadium that ISN'T one of the ridiculous Jerrahdomes or Kroenke Palaces or he can sell the team to any number of arrogant billionaires that would love that feather in their cap.

This was a dumb idea approved by greedy, shortsighted owners who wanted a chunk of the relocation fee and all driven by a skinflit moron who wrote a check he never had any real interest in cashing.

I'm not sure quite how to turn this into a WWI analogue, but I'm sure that if given enough time you could make it happen. Somehow I'm confident that the Spanos clan would end up being Austria in the whole thing.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2017, 03:03 PM
Here's a truism I happen to believe: All business success is sales-marketing success AND the opposite is true as well. So if that's the case, the LAC need to do a far better job of sales-marketing in LA.

Start with cutting the parking fee down to a reasonable sum of say $20. Encourage the players to make personal appearances at schools and other public functions. Cut ticket prices and include things like a 3 game family value pack that includes a tray of cheap to provide food such as 4 hot dogs, and soft drinks with every visit. Play up the intimate stadium where no extended post game traffic jams will happen.

There's far more moving parts to making the LAC a 'wanted' ticket but these would do for a start. Of course the best promotion of all is a winning team.

None of this is reasonable because the Chargers would lose money. They're already on the hook for a $500 million dollar relocation fee and lowering parking and tickets won't help that issue, whatsoever.

As for "Meet & Greets", that's just not gonna happen, either. The city is Huge and traffic is absolutely insane on a daily basis. Other than that obstacle, where are you planning to have this "Meet & Greet"? Why would anyone living in the Valley or DTLA or Hollywood or Beverly Hills drive to Costa Mesa to meet some backup football player? Rivers isn't doing it because he's on the road for 3 hours minimum each day commuting from San Diego to Costa Mesa. Carson is even further.

The Chargers are fucked.

DJ's left nut
09-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Salt Lake City
Memphis

OKC doesn't have the money to support it and what money they do have fluctuates on oil prices; western OK is all oil-patch country and OKC can get real poor, real fast when that's not going well.

Memphis has a football team like, 2 hours away in Nashville. I mean I guess they could try to siphon off some Rams fans but they're already spoken for by and large. Additionally, Memphis is also a complete shithole for about 1/2 the city.

San Antonio might be interesting but you'd have to pry that out of Jerrah's cold, dead fingers, IMO. Nice per capita wealth and an increasing population. That could actually work.

Salt Lake City...I have no idea. Has anyone ever actually thought about this city? Are we sure it actually exists?

My 3 picks would be: Charlotte, Portland and my #1 completely batshit idea - Toronto fucking Canada.

Why the hell not? Toronto and the surrounding areas are quite wealthy. The CFL survives and in many cases thrives. Could we convince them that they want an NFL team up north? I suspect the CFL would have kittens and hell, it might actually be illegal (you'd have to think the Argonauts lease contains some exclusions but contracts exist to be broken).

But man, I really think a team in Toronto would work.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Spanos got called on a bluff, that's all there is to it.

Yep and they really got screwed when Clark Hunt led the majority of the owners in choosing the Inglewood site over the Carson site that would have hosted the Raiders and Chargers.

Carson wasn't going to build a $1.6 billion dollar stadium for the Chargers and Kroenke's been planning the move to Los Angeles for more than a decade, so his presentation blew away the other owners.

At that point, it was game over.

3rd&Long
09-20-2017, 03:20 PM
None of this is reasonable because the Chargers would lose money. They're already on the hook for a $500 million dollar relocation fee and lowering parking and tickets won't help that issue, whatsoever.

As for "Meet & Greets", that's just not gonna happen, either. The city is Huge and traffic is absolutely insane on a daily basis. Other than that obstacle, where are you planning to have this "Meet & Greet"? Why would anyone living in the Valley or DTLA or Hollywood or Beverly Hills drive to Costa Mesa to meet some backup football player? Rivers isn't doing it because he's on the road for 3 hours minimum each day commuting from San Diego to Costa Mesa. Carson is even further.

The Chargers are ****ed.

If all that's as you portray it, then the opposite of my statement will soon enough visit the LAC: All business failure is sales-marketing failure but I wouldn't give up without a fight for relevance in spite of what appears a poor business decision to go to LA in the first place.

tredadda
09-20-2017, 03:30 PM
OKC doesn't have the money to support it and what money they do have fluctuates on oil prices; western OK is all oil-patch country and OKC can get real poor, real fast when that's not going well.

Memphis has a football team like, 2 hours away in Nashville. I mean I guess they could try to siphon off some Rams fans but they're already spoken for by and large. Additionally, Memphis is also a complete shithole for about 1/2 the city.

San Antonio might be interesting but you'd have to pry that out of Jerrah's cold, dead fingers, IMO. Nice per capita wealth and an increasing population. That could actually work.

Salt Lake City...I have no idea. Has anyone ever actually thought about this city? Are we sure it actually exists?

My 3 picks would be: Charlotte, Portland and my #1 completely batshit idea - Toronto ****ing Canada.

Why the hell not? Toronto and the surrounding areas are quite wealthy. The CFL survives and in many cases thrives. Could we convince them that they want an NFL team up north? I suspect the CFL would have kittens and hell, it might actually be illegal (you'd have to think the Argonauts lease contains some exclusions but contracts exist to be broken).

But man, I really think a team in Toronto would work.

They already have a team that plays there.

Discuss Thrower
09-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Vegas getting the Chargers would have made more sense than LA.

DJ's left nut
09-20-2017, 03:33 PM
If all that's as you portray it, then the opposite of my statement will soon enough visit the LAC: All business failure is sales-marketing failure but I wouldn't give up without a fight for relevance in spite of what appears a poor business decision to go to LA in the first place.

Well that's just patently absurd.

Sometime's it's a product failure. You can shit in a box and call it a diamond all day; market it all you want. But if you're selling shit it's still just a box of shit.

It takes a lifelong (arrogant as fuck) salesman to believe that every failed business is because someone just didn't sell it well enough. Oh sure - many of them are. But sometimes you just aren't providing a product that a market wants, no matter how badly you try to convince them that they want it.

It's a quaint pitch that I'd expect to hear in Glengarry Glenn Ross, but it's wrong.

ModSocks
09-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Keep in mind too that a fair number of those Charger fans that still watch them on T.V and go to the games early on are hate-watching. Watching purely to see them fail. That too is a novelty that will quickly wear off.

Expect attendance and T.V viewership to decline ever further once the bitter hate-watchers stop giving a ****.

DJ's left nut
09-20-2017, 03:34 PM
They already have a team that plays there.

{facepalm}

That they do, sir. That they do. But hey - they get pretty good crowds right! So see, I've been proven right already!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll kindly go kick my own ass.

tredadda
09-20-2017, 03:35 PM
{facepalm}

That they do, sir. That they do. But hey - they get pretty good crowds right! So see, I've been proven right already!

ROFL

ModSocks
09-20-2017, 03:37 PM

You mean like free Chargers tattoo day? Gimicky shit like that? They had something like 12 people show up for that and half of them were from San Diego LMAO

ChiefsCountry
09-20-2017, 03:39 PM
NFL isn't done yet giving a fuck you to the Chargers. Wait till the Raiders will play their final season before going to Las Vegas in San Diego.

O.city
09-20-2017, 04:04 PM
They should have stayed in sd. It was fucking blatantly obvious to everyone.

I wonder if Little Rock could work? It'd be a tiny market and they're not about that so probably not.

The more this shit plays out the more I think Mark Cuban was right about the NFL

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2017, 04:13 PM

Have you ever been to Los Angeles?

Do you realize that it can take HOURS to travel short distances?

People aren't rushing out to meet NFL players on a historically shitty football team with zero ties to the area.

The Lakers, Clippers, USC Trojans, UCLA Bruins and Dodgers own this town.

The Chargers are an unwelcome entity.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2017, 06:12 PM
Hartford Connecticut
Richmond Virginia

O.city
09-20-2017, 06:45 PM
If I were a billionaire and the opportunity arose, I'd buy the chargers and move them to stl. Stl is itching to stick it to Kroenke and show him up about leaving so if you could put a decent product out there, it'd go over.

Only problem is the market size

notorious
09-20-2017, 07:08 PM
{facepalm}

And they've been to two Super Bowls the last 15 years.

Sigh.

notorious
09-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Mexico City.

That is the only city other than SD that can draw enough people.

ChiefsCountry
09-20-2017, 07:12 PM
If I were a billionaire and the opportunity arose, I'd buy the chargers and move them to stl. Stl is itching to stick it to Kroenke and show him up about leaving so if you could put a decent product out there, it'd go over.

Only problem is the market size

St. Louis market size is fine. Saints are a team that will be in play in the near future.

Bugeater
09-20-2017, 11:25 PM
What about Omaha? I know, I know, low population, blah blah. But there's a LOT of money in that town and a ton of football passion in the surrounding area. Would be interesting.
The loyalties of most NFL fans here already lie elsewhere, plus they would be competing with the Huskers, plus the taxpayers here wouldn't be willing to foot the bill for stadium since we are already paying for the $130M atrocity that Mike Fahey foisted onto us that is only used 2 weeks a year.

InChiefsHeaven
09-21-2017, 06:27 AM
The loyalties of most NFL fans here already lie elsewhere, plus they would be competing with the Huskers, plus the taxpayers here wouldn't be willing to foot the bill for stadium since we are already paying for the $130M atrocity that Mike Fahey foisted onto us that is only used 2 weeks a year.

Indeed. It's already been proven that the UFL couldn't survive here, no way an NFL team could with all the requirements that would come along with it. If you live in Omaha, you watch college, specifically the Huskers. Friday nights are dedicated to HS football. Ain't no room for a NFL team, we just aren't big enough.

That UFL deal was done so stupidly, I still think it could have worked but the owners were dumb as hell.

HemiEd
09-21-2017, 06:55 AM

That has been the history for the NFL in LA. I heard one time that those that don't learn history are destined to repeat it, or something like that.

Barret
09-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Mexico City.

That is the only city other than SD that can draw enough people.

This!!

They are still in a North American time zone and they are not that far away to fly to. It puts a check mark in the "We need to go international" check box.

For some reason, the NFL keeps trying to get into Europe just like they think LA wants a team. How is NFL Europe working out? Oh wait that tanked in 2008.

Mexico City has a stadium named Azteca that will seat 87,000 people. Currently it is a soccer stadium but still if you can make in roads into Mexico with a rabid fan base wouldn't that excitement spread to the rest of Latin America? 10 to 15 years have an NFL North America and NFL South America.

HemiEd
09-21-2017, 08:19 AM
This!!

They are still in a North American time zone and they are not that far away to fly to. It puts a check mark in the "We need to go international" check box.

For some reason, the NFL keeps trying to get into Europe just like they think LA wants a team. How is NFL Europe working out? Oh wait that tanked in 2008.

Mexico City has a stadium named Azteca that will seat 87,000 people. Currently it is a soccer stadium but still if you can make in roads into Mexico with a rabid fan base wouldn't that excitement spread to the rest of Latin America? 10 to 15 years have an NFL North America and NFL South America.

Rename them the "shakin quakes."

Ooops, too soon?

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2017, 10:21 AM
That has been the history for the NFL in LA. I heard one time that those that don't learn history are destined to repeat it, or something like that.

That's why Kroenke is building a $3 billion dollar complex that will not only house the NFL Network, host NFL drafts, Super Bowls, the Olympics, Final Fours and so much more but it will be a destination, with swimming pools and high end retailers and restaurants.

People will flock to the stadium, just for the experience and if the Rams happen to be good, they'll get plenty of support.

The Chargers? LMAO

O.city
09-21-2017, 10:30 AM
That's why Kroenke is building a $3 billion dollar complex that will not only house the NFL Network, host NFL drafts, Super Bowls, the Olympics, Final Fours and so much more but it will be a destination, with swimming pools and high end retailers and restaurants.

People will flock to the stadium, just for the experience and if the Rams happen to be good, they'll get plenty of support.

The Chargers? LMAO

Yeah if the rams are good the place will be packed

The chargers just never made sense.

I kind of agree with DJ that Canada makes sense

ModSocks
09-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Toronto makes sense for the Bills. Chargers not so much unless they completely re-brand.

Discuss Thrower
09-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Too bad Canada doesn't care about the NFL.

O.city
09-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Toronto makes sense for the Bills. Chargers not so much unless they completely re-brand.

Then what else are they gonna do?

Eleazar
09-21-2017, 11:32 AM

Will it? I mean, did the Rams pack the house before in LA when they were competitive?

Are people going to battle their way across LA through traffic and everything else, to pay prices to attend games that will surely be above Jerry's World prices, because there's a campus around it which hosts the NFL network? And this will need to support two teams?

I mean, call me crazy I suppose, but it seems like franchises are powered by fans who feel loyalty to a football team and support it through thick and thin. Not because the team is good but because it's a passion.

Are people going to be passionate about the "gameday experience"? Are they going to keep coming back over and over to pay (exorbitant prices) at the great bars and restaurants in the stadium?

Does the League think the fan base has infinite resources and will pay for anything they put out? Any add on, any upsell or upcharge?

Do they think rank and file fans care about uber-luxury experiences or do they just want to see good football at a price they think is fair?

I don't think history is going to bear this out.

I don't think amenities drive attendance, football does.

I don't think "gameday experience' means anything when the team is terrible or when the city has no attachment to it.

I don't think fans cheer for owners like Spanos or Kroenke who regard the fan base with contempt. I don't think these teams are going to have an easy time building attachment from football fans in the city, many of whom already have a team.

Maybe I am wrong - maybe just being in LA is enough to keep a team profitable. Maybe they will suck enough corporate dollars out of the city and sell enough suits and advertising that the gate receipts won't matter that much. You watch LA Kings games on TV and unless the team is near the top of the conference, the lower level looks about 2/3 full. Who knows.

I just don't buy into the idea that this "district" is going to drive attendance, especially for two teams, because the football fans that keep franchises going don't want to go to Disneyland. They just want to watch football.

Eleazar
09-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Too bad Canada doesn't care about the NFL.

Everyone I know there who's marginally a sports fan watches at least some NFL. There's just no team for them to unify behind, the way they do for the Blue Jays. (Even people out on the prairies see the Blue Jays as 'their' team.)

For the NFL, you have a smattering of random, usually northern teams, or just "I'm a fan of the NFL"

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Will it? I mean, did the Rams pack the house before in LA when they were competitive?

The Rams were soldout for nearly 30 years straight when they played at the Coliseum.

Georgia unexpectedly moved the team from Los Angeles to Anaheim, which is basically like moving the Chiefs to St. Louis.

Plus, a new Light Rail line will be available soon, which will have a station near Kroenke World and the home of the Clippers, which is slated to be across the street.

Rausch
09-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Los Angeles Doesn't Care About The Chargers

I'm guessing this was fucking Irony...

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2017, 12:02 PM
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/20/sis-lee-jenkins-spanos-family-chargers-couldnt-have-imagined-this-level-of-anger-ridicule/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=59c3788c19694a00071e8fe4&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

SI's Lee Jenkins: Spanos Family, Chargers Couldn't Have Imagined This Level Of Anger, Ridicule
By: Ryan Phillips

Lee Jenkins joined the Darren Smith Show on 1090 AM in San Diego on Wednesday and went off on the Los Angeles Chargers and their owner, Dean Spanos. Jenkins is Sports Illustrated’s senior NBA writer, but he’s a native of San Diego and has been a long-time critic of the Chargers. That didn’t change during this interview.

Jenkins claims the Spanos family did not expect this level of anger from San Diego fans or this level of national public humiliation from the Chargers move. He also discussed the NFL’s reaction and how he believes other owners will soon be throwing Spanos under the bus as things get worse in LA. The Spanoses did this to themselves. Absolutely no one outside of that family and its inner circle thought moving to Los Angeles was a wise decision. Now the franchise is a national laughingstock and it’s only getting worse.

In a city and surrounding area of 18.1 million people, the Chargers couldn’t find enough of their own fans to fill a tiny soccer stadium in their first week in a new home. At least half of the fans in the crowd in Week 2 were cheering for the Miami Dolphins, a team whose fanbase doesn’t travel particularly well. This weekend the Chargers welcome the Kansas City Chiefs to town. The Chiefs have a rabid fanbase who could wind up outnumbering Chargers fans in their own stadium. Expect to see a lot of red on Sunday in that crowd. And expect things to keep getting worse for Spanos and co. in Los Angeles.

O.city
09-21-2017, 12:04 PM

Are people going to battle their way across LA through traffic and everything else, to pay prices to attend games that will surely be above Jerry's World prices, because there's a campus around it which hosts the NFL network? And this will need to support two teams?

I mean, call me crazy I suppose, but it seems like franchises are powered by fans who feel loyalty to a football team and support it through thick and thin. Not because the team is good but because it's a passion.

Are people going to be passionate about the "gameday experience"? Are they going to keep coming back over and over to pay (exorbitant prices) at the great bars and restaurants in the stadium?

Does the League think the fan base has infinite resources and will pay for anything they put out? Any add on, any upsell or upcharge?

Do they think rank and file fans care about uber-luxury experiences or do they just want to see good football at a price they think is fair?

I don't think history is going to bear this out.

I don't think amenities drive attendance, football does.

I don't think "gameday experience' means anything when the team is terrible or when the city has no attachment to it.

I don't think fans cheer for owners like Spanos or Kroenke who regard the fan base with contempt. I don't think these teams are going to have an easy time building attachment from football fans in the city, many of whom already have a team.

Maybe I am wrong - maybe just being in LA is enough to keep a team profitable. Maybe they will suck enough corporate dollars out of the city and sell enough suits and advertising that the gate receipts won't matter that much. You watch LA Kings games on TV and unless the team is near the top of the conference, the lower level looks about 2/3 full. Who knows.

I just don't buy into the idea that this "district" is going to drive attendance, especially for two teams, because the football fans that keep franchises going don't want to go to Disneyland. They just want to watch football.

If they're winning and exciting, I think people will show up.

If they don't, they won't.

tredadda
09-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Everyone I know there who's marginally a sports fan watches at least some NFL. There's just no team for them to unify behind, the way they do for the Blue Jays. (Even people out on the prairies see the Blue Jays as 'their' team.)

For the NFL, you have a smattering of random, usually northern teams, or just "I'm a fan of the NFL"

The Blue Jays also get away with that because there is no professional baseball league in a Canada sans the one MLB team. Canada has the CFL and while it's a lesser product, its still their product.

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2017, 05:18 PM
https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/usatsi_10293950_153192880_lowres.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

DaneMcCloud
09-21-2017, 05:19 PM
The Athletic’s Don Banks joined the Darren Smith Show on 1090 AM in San Diego on Thursday to discuss the disastrous Los Angeles Chargers. This week, Banks wrote a piece about how quickly things have gone south for Dean Spanos and his team in LA and during the interview he went ever further. Banks even suggested the NFL is quietly talking about forcing the team back to San Diego. Banks has talked to a number of people inside the league and when asked what they think of Spanos, his response was telling:

“I have been painted a picture from people I’ve talked to that the league was sympathetic…to Dean Spanos’ plight. Feels like he had been a ‘league guy’ feels like he had waited kind of his turn on the relocation front, thought he had the votes the year before — Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke pretty much outmaneuvered Dean and Mark Davis with the Raiders to be the first in line for LA. So it was almost as if this was a bit of a make up.

“I can tell you this Darren, there are people in the league — including the commissioner — they did not want to see San Diego forsaken. They would rather there be a team in San Diego. If there’s anything viable that they could find to put the league back in to San Diego, I think they will be in that camp strongly.”

When discussing the optics of empty stadiums and the Chargers not being able to fill a 27,000-seat stadium with their own fans, Banks had this to say:

“They’re saying the right things now and they’re going to keep a stiff upper lip and say that ‘we knew that this was going to be a hard slog uphill.’ There’s a lot of concern already. And there’s a lot of people who are thinking, ‘How can we put up with these optics for the next three years if the Chargers can’t improve the situation in Carson?'”

When asked if he believed the league was possibly talking about forcing the Chargers back to San Diego if things don’t improve, Banks was blunt:

“I think they’re talking about it. I do. I think there’s already a level of concern at how far south it’s gone, that there are at least people talking about it…I don’t think a true tipping point has been reached, it’s too early for that. But I think there’s enough concern that people are saying, ‘What’s the best option perhaps among bad options?'”

The fact that we’re heading into Week 3 of the regular season and people around the league are already talking about moving the Chargers back to San Diego is simply incredible.