PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in Ghosts?

chiefs_freak
04-28-2002, 08:54 PM
well i have been thanking about this topic for a while now and im going to do a survey on it. Do you guys believe in ghost? are they real or fake? Have you ever incountered one? plus i thought this would be a fun post. please tell!

NaptownChief
04-28-2002, 08:59 PM
I have never had any encounter with haints but I am very open to the idea. Just too many stories by too many people to think that it isn't possible.

Bwana
04-28-2002, 09:01 PM
I don't believe ghosts, the tooth fairy, Santa or that Elvis is still alive hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa. :eek:

JOhn
04-28-2002, 09:10 PM
Not sure what to call them, but I have had an encounter?

We used to own a farm by Rayville, MO when I was a kid. There was an old abandoned house just down the road. Every once in awhile when we would drive past it on the way to the farm we would see "lights" on the side of the house. One night my dad and a buddy of his was with us, and we decided to check it out.

We knew there was no power to the house, not even lines to it. We thought maybe it was someone messing around. We got out of the truck to walk up to the house. When we did my mom & sister stayed with the truck, while dad, his friend my brother & I walked up to the house. When we got about 30feet from the house the lights would dissapear, yet reappearer when we moved back.

At this point we just thought they were reflections from somewere. But went ahead to walk on up just see see if maybe we could figure out were they were coming from. When we got up to the house, we could not see the lights at all or any source. But as we started to walk back towards the hiway, we heard a noise from the roof of the house.

When we looked up, we say what appeared to be a "ball" of light. it went the lenght of the house then in a window, and dissapperead. We started back to the house to see what it was. As we neared the front door, the light shot out of the window upstairs and back on the roof. It continued to float around above the house while we watched.

After about five minutes it went back in the window and dissapeared. We then went in the house, and found nothing after an extensive search. One curious thing is this happened in the summer. It was about 90 degrees out and very humid. Yet when we walked upstairs we all noticed it was very cold , cold enough that we all had goosebumbs.

We continued to see the lights on occasion, and had other tell us of similear experiances with that house. Have no idea what it was, but is was definatly wierd.

Mr. Christopher
04-28-2002, 09:16 PM
Nope.

NaptownChief
04-28-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by IAchiefsfan
Nope.

Curious as to why not?

Sure-Oz
04-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Anyone watch that FEAR show on MTV, go on that to see if you believe....I watch and say "Screw that sheeet!";)

Rain Man
04-28-2002, 09:26 PM
Did you guys ever see the movie "Beetlejuice" with Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, and Michael Keaton? Great flick about ghosts.

tk13
04-28-2002, 09:30 PM
I don't know whether I do/don't believe. But if they are real..I don't want any part of them. :D

I do know TONS of people who have ghosts stories and believe, which either means I know a lot of insane people or something fishy's going on. Some of those people I know aren't really the type to make up stories or make a big deal out of things, so I really don't know, maybe they are real. On Halloween one year in high school all we did was sit around and tell personal ghost stories during history class...and it seemed like half the class had one, including the teacher.

This paranormal stuff has always fascinated me though I guess. UFO stories, etc, etc...I guess I'm just weird. :D

morphius
04-28-2002, 09:31 PM
CF - My wife has had expiernces with a ghost, so I guess I have to say that I believe in them as I believe her. I don't want to go into the stories, but it freaks her out.

Of course there is someone on this BB that says that they are all Demons and not ghosts, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

chiefs_freak
04-28-2002, 09:34 PM
Well i have to admit i have never saw a ghost but i do believe in them for some reason, i think their is some kind of super natural spirit out their. but i have seen things be thrown and things happen like door open and close by their selfs now if that's not scary i dont know what is.

morphius
04-28-2002, 09:37 PM
CF - Try something touching you when nothing is there...

Mr Grimm
04-28-2002, 09:37 PM
HAHAAHAH....
Ask Brad_Caudle about his experiences...

Just remeber that not all ghosts are evil spirits...
Some could just be the aura or spirit of a loved one saying hi!
My Great Gramdmother used to "talk" to her passed on sister...when you told her no one was there..you recieved a crzy look...like "are you blind"??

ya their real enough for my taste!!:rolleyes:

Mr. Christopher
04-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by NaptownChief
Curious as to why not?

Well, as a Christian, I believe that the souls of individuals after they die are destined to go to Heaven or Hell, not to remain on earth to haunt the living. I've heard stories of ghosts that sound rather convincing, so I am not shutting the door on that possibility entirely, but I have never seen any real proof of their existence, either. I have never been haunted by ghosts or anything.

I don't know. Perhaps that's not the best of answers, but that's all I can think to say right now.

morphius
04-28-2002, 09:40 PM
IA - In all honesty, I think that is a pretty good answer.

chiefs_freak
04-28-2002, 09:42 PM
Well im cool with ghosts as long as they dont harm me, like say in my uncle's story who lives in KC, he says that there is about a 6yr girl and a 4 yr old boy that are spirits leaving there and they see them often they say, just walking around during the night and day they dont do any harm to them or anything but he says when he takes showers he can him them screaming or something yelling sometimes so the assume that they were killed in the bathroom. so anyway i have stayed their alot but have not seen them so i dont really no what to believe. but it freaks me out whenever i go to stay over there.

Mr Grimm
04-28-2002, 09:44 PM

Well, as a Christian, I believe that the souls of individuals after they die are destined to go to Heaven or Hell, not to remain on earth to haunt the living. I've heard stories of ghosts that sound rather convincing, so I am not shutting the door on that possibility entirely, but I have never seen any real proof of their existence, either. I have never been haunted by ghosts or anything.

I don't know. Perhaps that's not the best of answers, but that's all I can think to say right now.

well if you believe in heaven then you must believe in the bible..also saying that Jesus appeared after his death (spirit).
also that people who are not ready to fully enter heaven go to purgutory to clense themselves.... maybe some clensing happens here!? :huh:

morphius
04-28-2002, 09:46 PM
CF - Have you ever used the shower he does? Maybe try it in the dark with just some candle light. That should give you freak you out a bit.

splatbass
04-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Being a natural born skeptic, I never believed in ghosts until about ten years ago. I was living in Virginia, and I woke up and saw an old woman hovering over my bed. She was whitish colored and transparent, wearing clothing that looked Civil War era. I saw this dozens of times during the 2 years I lived there. I've never seen anything like it since I moved out of that apartment. It was right next to a Civil War battlefield, and I've always wondered if that had something to do with it.

chiefs_freak
04-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Now the movie 13 Ghosts that will make you hope and pray their are not any ghosts like that. good and scary movie

tk13
04-28-2002, 09:49 PM
Here's the famous picture from Three Men and a Baby...

*EDIT*-in following post

I'm looking for another picture that's pretty famous...it's this one of this girl who was 'haunted'...she wasn't more than 15 years old or so and bad things always seemed to happen around her. One day she was being interviewed by a newspaper reporter, who brought a photographer along. The ghost supposedly would always do things involving the girl when the photographer wasn't looking. Well according to him he outsmarted it..pointed the camera at the girl and looked away...and then it struck and he took a picture. The picture showed the girl sitting in her chair with the phone flying in mid-air in front of her...freaky stuff. If I find it I'll post it.

chiefs_freak
04-28-2002, 09:50 PM
yes, i have used his shower but i dont think im about too do that cause that would be alittle too freaky for me. hell im afraid to take a shower with the lights on!

JOhn
04-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by morphius
CF - Try something touching you when nothing is there...

My cousin back In MO had/has something like that happen to her. Her husband was killed in a car wreck, and shortly there after she would be lying in bed and feel the bed move and sag as if someone was getting in bed with her. Says she never felt scared by it for some reason. would also wake in the middle of the night feeling someone touch her, but no would would ever be there.

tk13
04-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Alright..angelfire blocked me from imaging that link, so I'll throw it out here... :D

Dartgod
04-28-2002, 09:53 PM
BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I believe it's possible. I've heard too many freaky stories.

Dartgod
04-28-2002, 09:55 PM
TK, what's the story behind that pic?

Sure-Oz
04-28-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Dartgod

BigOlChiefsfan
04-28-2002, 10:02 PM
When I was in college I lived in an old farm house that had been sub-divided into apartments. The old farmwife had passed on in that house, and when I moved in the first thing I heard from the other residents was 'don't worry if you think there's a ghost, it's just Mrs. F* and she likes us, cause we take good care of the place'. And if there was a ghost there, she/he WAS benign, we never had any troubles. A few times I heard footsteps upstairs when I KNEW that no one was around, water would turn on and off, lights would go on and off. Probably just old house nonsense. Not to worry, and I didn't.
The only really weird thing was that the dogs in the house could see *something* that we couldn't see. We'd be sitting around burning...uh...incense, yeah incense, and the dogs would all be looking at something in the middle of the room, their heads would all turn as they watched *something* walk past...who knows what they saw. Maybe the incense stunned *it* into submission. "Let's burn another one to keep it at bay".

We made sure that stories about our ghost got spread around among the seedier people we knew there in town, told 'em one guy kept a bunch of rattlesnakes, too, "for advanced biology class". FYI, nothing keeps the riffraff away like poisonous snakes, a pack of big dogs and 24 hour haints (no waiting.)

NaptownChief
04-28-2002, 10:07 PM

I respect that...I also expected that to be the reason as my parents have become very religious and I have watched them refuse to believe anything that can't be explained in the bible.

As a non-religious person I tend to find it funny that people on one hand will fight you over the existence of something in which there is no earthly proof of its existence and will then turn around and fight against something else that falls into a similar category. Hopefully you can respect that also...

I appreciate your honesty.

Bearcat
04-28-2002, 10:08 PM
I saw a poll on this question on netscape.net about a year ago, and couldn't believe it was 51-49% no, with something like 100,000 votes.

I've heard the stories, seen pictures, and have known people that have had "encounters", but I'm still very, very skeptical.

I guess my answer would be the same as how I respond to religious posts.... I don't believe in it, because I have no reason to. I'm sure if I had a first-hand encounter with one, and I hadn't been drinking that night, then I'd believe :)

tk13
04-28-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Dartgod

Go watch the movie 'Three Men and a Baby'... that's a photo out of a scene that's actually in the movie. During this scene toward the end, Ted Danson and the elderly woman are walking with the baby and as you pass by there's that figure in the window. There was a big deal made out of that when it was first noticed in the movie, everyone said it was the ghost of a boy who had died on that movie set I believe. The crew of the movie said it was a cardboard cutout of Ted Danson. Personally it doesn't look like it to me, but it's probably just some stunt to boost ticket sales. It's still creepy to see everytime I watch the movie though.

There's a link explaining it..

http://www.parascope.com/articles/0397/ghost13.htm

Sure-Oz
04-28-2002, 10:12 PM
I gotta rent that sometime just to see it, I may have never noticed before, is that the first movie? Any other flicks with stuff like that?

tk13
04-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by BerettaZ
I gotta rent that sometime just to see it, I may have never noticed before, is that the first movie? Any other flicks with stuff like that?

Yeah that's the first movie...'Three Men and a Baby'...

It's NOT 'Three Men and a Little Lady'...don't get them confused.

aturnis
04-28-2002, 10:25 PM
Little boy looks like a lifesize cardboard cutout of Ted Danson to me...

Valiant
04-28-2002, 10:27 PM
yes

i remember when i was in sthe sixth grade and living in liberty there was a old boarded up house... well i was snooping around it during the summer and knew nobody was in there..so i was peering thru a crack in the window...well there was a black figure move across the room...it didnt walk it just glided across the room..well i took off as fast as i could..never went back that summer...i moved to independence that winter...years later i went back and luckly it was tore down..so i didnt have a chance at second redemption..because im afraid i would have went in..

then my friend says her grandmother place is haunted...the story of this haunting is in a baby cradle...they say if something is in the baby cradle weird things happen...she said when she was younger she remembers seeing eyes in the darkness..and her aunt and grandmother have actually witnessed a adult woman in the house..it was paceing back in forth when one of there children went to get surgey done...supposeably it is a child, dad and mother ghost..a whole family around this baby cradle...well i asked her why they didnt get rid of it..she said it doesnt bother them so they dont get rid of it...they store it in the attack...but have to check on it every once in a while..because if something falls into it..they start hearing noises and footsteps upstairs and that is how they know something is in the cradle..so they go upstairs take it out and then go on about their buisness..i told her i want to come over and witness it.. im still waiting on her reply...i also asked if they have ever tried contacting or bringing somebody in to investigate...because im not sure if she is telling the truth or not...but if so, i want to witness it..then pee myself...

keg in kc
04-28-2002, 10:31 PM
I've never seen one (nor do I particularly want to) but I think it's entirely possible they exist. 'course, the existence of ghosts doesn't necessarily guarantee we know what they are -- instead of "spirits of the dead" they could be some kind of recording of events, a memory of sorts. Or they could be some type of entities that inhabit the same space as we do, but are other-dimensional or in some other way reside outside of the range of our senses. They might be static charges or some other form of energy. Or it could be a combination of all of those things. Who knows.

What I do know is that I've heard too many stories to completely discount the possibility that they're real.

Then again, what do I know...I think UFO's exist, too.

BigOlChiefsfan
04-28-2002, 10:32 PM
I went to The Myrtles Plantation (http://www.prairieghosts.com/myrtles.html) with Mrs. BOCF years ago. We had lunch there, and altho the crawfish salad came back to haunt me later, we didn't have any real other troubles. I will say it was a creepy place about sunset, what with the spanish moss and all that screaming from the big house....

tk13
04-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by aturnis
Little boy looks like a lifesize cardboard cutout of Ted Danson to me...

Ted Danson is 6'2"...that would make the bottom of that window about 5 feet off the ground and the top about 12 feet high...it just looks funny, doesn't it?

Frazod
04-28-2002, 10:44 PM
I do believe that ghosts, spirits, residual psychic energy, or whatever the hell they are, exist. Much like UFOs, there is just too much evidence to rule out existence of these things that we don't understand out of hand.

My personal experience is limited, but I've had a taste here and there of the unexplained.

One of my best friends is an officer in the Air Force, and was stationed at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne. This base was once an old cavalry post, Fort D. A. Russell, and is purported extremely haunted. I have a book about Wyoming hauntings that has an entire chapter dedicated to it. Anyway, my friend told me that there was a ghost in his house (officer's quarters, a old house well over 100 years old). Said there was a room the dog wouldn't go in, occasionally heard sounds, footsteps, what have you. I thought he was full of shit. He explained the story that an cavalry officer was having an affair with another officer's wife, in his house, and that the husband came home one day while the guy was there, and he tried to escape by means of a second story window. Unfortunately for him, though, he fell and died. Nice story, I thought. Well, the window in question was in a storage room on the second floor. Chris (my friend) took his dog in the room. The dog went nuts, whimpered and whined, and when he put the dog down it ran like hell out of that room. The dog didn't act this way anywhere else in the house, but it would never go in that room. This I saw with my own eyes.

Anyway, that night, I slept in a bedroom just a closed door away from that room. Now, it may have been my imagination, but I've spent nights in old houses before, and never have I heard a friggin sound coming from settling/old pipes/whatever that sounded like A SWORD RATTLING IN A SCABBARD! :eek: After a couple of sleepless, terrified hours, hearing this damned noise every few minutes, I went downstairs and slept on the couch. Slept fine down there, and that's where I slept for the remainder of my visit.

I bought this book the next day, and sure enough, the story about the fallen officer was in there.

:eek:

I've had some incidents in my new house as well. Sometimes the cats will sit and yowl down into the basement, for no apparent reason. There's nothing down there. My garage door also goes up and down on its own occasionally (although I realize this could be because a neighbor has a controller on the same frequency). One thing that wouldn't explain would be why my television went on right in front of me one night when I walked in the house - all the shades were drawn, and the remote was on the table with nothing near it. That was a bit odd, to say the least.

Personally, I've never felt a cold spot, or any sort of malevolent presence, so if there is something in here with us, I don't think I've got any issues with us. And besides, if it ever wanders into the bathroom, the sight of me naked is probably scarier to it that anything it could to do me! :eek:

Valiant
04-28-2002, 10:49 PM
the only thing that really freaks me about ghost is..

are they watching me when im having sex or jerking off...and i cant even charge em a fee...

keg in kc
04-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by frazod
I've had some incidents in my new house as well. Sometimes the cats will sit and yowl down into the basement, for no apparent reason. There's nothing down there. My garage door also goes up and down on its own occasionally (although I realize this could be because a neighbor has a controller on the same frequency). One thing that wouldn't explain would be why my television went on right in front of me one night when I walked in the house - all the shades were drawn, and the remote was on the table with nothing near it. That was a bit odd, to say the least.Hey, isn't that how the Amityville Horror started, or was that Poltergeist?

:D

Frazod
04-28-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Valiant

are they watching me when im having sex or jerking off...and i cant even charge em a fee...

This might explain why nothing's occurred recently.... the ghost probably fled in fear and digust. Who needs a priest to get rid of the damned things? :D

BigOlChiefsfan
04-28-2002, 10:58 PM
If you went to KU, you probably heard about The Stull Graveyard (http://www.prairieghosts.com/stull.html)

Oooooooooh, spooky stuff, kids! Count Floyd says wake me when it's over!

Mr Grimm
04-28-2002, 11:16 PM

This might explain why nothing's occurred recently.... the ghost probably fled in fear and digust. Who needs a priest to get rid of the damned things? :D

You know if anyone could scare the dead....it would be fraz!!ROFL :LOL:

Frazod
04-28-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by keg in kc
Hey, isn't that how the Amityville Horror started, or was that Poltergeist?

:D

We've been here almost a year now. I think I would have at least heard "GET OUT" by now.....

Plus, this house is new construction - there was nothing here prior to it being built. It was just open land, and unless there was some long since destroyed farm house on the site, was probably always open land.

Maybe some Indian pitched a teepee here once and died in it. Who knows?

Frazod
04-28-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Grimm

You know if anyone could scare the dead....it would be fraz!!ROFL :LOL:

Take it to heart, guys - Grimm's met me :D

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2002, 11:20 PM
This is a really bad thread to read at 11 PM. Now I'm not going to go to sleep until 5 or 6 AM. :D

I don't really know what to think on the issue, which is basically my position on UFO's, too. A lot is probably :BS: or a misunderstanding of some sort, but some of it's gotta be true, too. And that's just freaky.

Frazod
04-28-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Psicosis
This is a really bad thread to read at 11 PM. Now I'm not going to go to sleep until 5 or 6 AM. :D

I was thinking the same thing.

Hope my "entity" isn't reading this shit over my shoulder and thinking I need a lesson in respect tonight.... :eek:

BigOlChiefsfan
04-28-2002, 11:26 PM
The Johnson County Industrial Airport in Olathe is haunted by unexplained noises, strange sounds, whistling and phantom footsteps. They have plagued Hangar 43 for more than 50 years and employees and staff members have dubbed the elusive spirit who haunts the place the "Commander". They believe that he may have been one of the 54 men killed at the navy flight training base, which was located there in 1942.

(from ghosts of kansas (http://www.prairieghosts.com/ksstories.html))

I went to high school in Olathe 25 years ago and there was a railroad crossing a mile or 2 north of town (now part of the suburban sprawl) that we called 'Smokey Chains'. Guys would take their dates there late at night and tell about the "train wrecked car-on-a-crossing, chain-dragging ghost of 'smoky chains", knowing full well that the late freight train came thru town at 11:20 or whenever, blowing it's whistle as it came into town, and long before it got close the tracks at the crossing would start to jump and click...making the sound of chains clanking.
No idea why it happened, but I was as big of a dog as anybody. Get your date good and scared and she's likely to cling to ya all the rest of the night. Give 'em an excuse to get close and clinging and you're halfway home.

All's fair in love and war. Even chains, trains and automobiles.

Mr. Christopher
04-28-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by NaptownChief
As a non-religious person I tend to find it funny that people on one hand will fight you over the existence of something in which there is no earthly proof of its existence and will then turn around and fight against something else that falls into a similar category. Hopefully you can respect that also...

I wondered if that might have been your reason for asking. I can see the contradiction, but I can't really explain the difference. I think it is all in the definition of what a ghost is. Is it a spirit that seeks to wreak havoc on the earth? Or is it simply a glorified spirit (such as Mr. Grimm's example of the spirit of Christ walking the earth after his death)?

Anyway, I can understand where you are coming from, and I find it hard to explain the difference. Also, as I said, I am not shutting the door on the possibility of ghosts entirely, but I have had no personal experience which leads me to believe that there are.

And yes, I respect your view. :toast:

Valiant
04-28-2002, 11:33 PM
ahahhahaahha

maybe its some slutty indian whore who is a sexual freak...ya never know.......

BigOlChiefsfan
04-28-2002, 11:39 PM
One last bit of local lore, 'Sallie' the Heartland Ghost:

The Heartland Ghost from 'Sightings' (http://www.prairieghosts.com/sallie.html)

keg in kc
04-28-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Valiant

are they watching me when im having sex or jerking off...and i cant even charge em a fee... How about if they're jerking off or having sex...

Gives a whole new meaning to "ectoplasmic goo." :eek:

morphius
04-28-2002, 11:42 PM
BOCF - I wonder how close that is to where I live!!!

Morphius
Shouldn't be reading crap like this at this hour, dumby...

Frazod
04-28-2002, 11:43 PM
That book on the Ghosts of Wyoming was a very entertaining read, especially the part about the base I've been to. The house I stayed at was by no means the most haunted building, either.

The old hospital from the cavalry days was later converted into security headquarters for the base. All kinds of unexplained shit went on there, including actual sightings and the ghost of a doctor who would change the channel on the remote control to Lifetime Channel, which has lots of medical shows. The reports of these incidents were made by Air Force security personnel, not exactly your run-of-the-mill nutjobs. The security guys at F. E. Warren, among other things, guard nuclear missile silos. I would think mental and emotional stability would be sort of important for people who do that sort of thing (at least I hope so).

Anyway, my friend told me that several years ago the CO of the base decided he'd heard enough and decided to spend the night in the security building to proove once and for all that there was nothing going on there. Now, he never told any of his subordinates what he experienced that night, but he immediately ordered the security headquarters moved to another building and inquired about having the building DEMOLISHED. As this building is also over a century old and on the historic landmark registry, his request was denied. So instead he boarded it up, and it was still boarded up when I last saw it in 1996.

Probably a good thing. :eek:

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2002, 11:59 PM
:eek:

:shake:

RedNeckRaider
04-29-2002, 12:16 AM
I still have ghosts from Marty back in the 90s!:banghead:

Chieficus
04-29-2002, 12:16 AM
Believe in ghosts? No.

Why? Much the same reason as IA--you die and you're either in heaven or hell. (Someone made the comment earlier about how that relates to Jesus appearing after His death, saying it was a spiritual appearance. Well, Biblically, Jesus rose from the dead physically. His spirit just didn't leave the grave, His entire body did, but that's a completely different subject).

So what do I think "ghosts" are?

1) Psychological manipulations.

This can be brought on by hypnotic events caused by these people who claim to be in communication with the dead.

People who have a predisposition to believe will be more likely to have an "experience" based upon self-made psychological states. The mind decieves itself.

Then there are simply the issues of waking dreams. I have a friend who has seen all sorts of things at night. I myself have awoke to the room flashing various colors and figures walking around. In our discussions of this stuff, we've discovered a common link between our "seeing stuff" and going to bed extremely tired while not being able to get a good nights rest. The body wakes up, but the mind stays connected partially to it's dream patterns and things from the sub-conscious are merely super-imposed upon reality for a brief period of time.

Also, certain personality types have a characteristic of being able to easily manipulate a story into their reality and not realize it.

2) Natural phenomena

As a meteorology major, I well know that the weather does weird things (outside of our normal sense of weird--like snow in may). You get the lapse rates just right and it will bend light in such a way that head lights from a car will appear in the sky many miles away. That's been the cause of some UFO sightings. You take stuff like that, oddities in the magnetic or electric fields, things such as lightning effects (especially ball lightning) and you can get ghost-like appearances.

3) Out right lies.

Some people just want to tell a ghost story to get attention.

4) As a Christian, I cannot rule out the possibility of demons as well. According to my beliefs, demons are fallen angels. So if the angels can appear in various incarnations, then so can demons. Also, according to my beliefs, demons have access to the minds of unbelievers. Fabrication from that is entirely possible.

RedNeckRaider
04-29-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Chieficus
Believe in ghosts? No.

Why? Much the same reason as IA--you die and you're either in heaven or hell. (Someone made the comment earlier about how that relates to Jesus appearing after His death, saying it was a spiritual appearance. Well, Biblically, Jesus rose from the dead physically. His spirit just didn't leave the grave, His entire body did, but that's a completely different subject).

This can be brought on by hypnotic events caused by these people who claim to be in communication with the dead.

People who have a predisposition to believe will be more likely to have an "experience" based upon self-made psychological states. The mind decieves itself.

Then there are simply the issues of waking dreams. I have a friend who has seen all sorts of things at night. I myself have awoke to the room flashing various colors and figures walking around. In our discussions of this stuff, we've discovered a common link between our "seeing stuff" and going to bed extremely tired while not being able to get a good nights rest. The body wakes up, but the mind stays connected partially to it's dream patterns and things from the sub-conscious are merely super-imposed upon reality for a brief period of time.

Also, certain personality types have a characteristic of being able to easily manipulate a story into their reality and not realize it.

2) Natural phenomena

As a meteorology major, I well know that the weather does weird things (outside of our normal sense of weird--like snow in may). You get the lapse rates just right and it will bend light in such a way that head lights from a car will appear in the sky many miles away. That's been the cause of some UFO sightings. You take stuff like that, oddities in the magnetic or electric fields, things such as lightning effects (especially ball lightning) and you can get ghost-like appearances.

3) Out right lies.

4) As a Christian, I cannot rule out the possibility of demons as well. According to my beliefs, demons are fallen angels. So if the angels can appear in various incarnations, then so can demons. Also, according to my beliefs, demons have access to the minds of unbelievers. Fabrication from that is entirely possible. Your are right mine are not ghosts, they are scars!:banghead:

Mr. Christopher
04-29-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by RedNeckRaider
Your are right mine are not ghosts, they are scars!:banghead:

At least you have happy recent memories from Gruden...and THANK GOD he's GONE!!!

Hopefully DV will help create new scars ;)

Digital Takawira
04-29-2002, 12:44 AM
Believe in ghosts? No.

2) Natural phenomena

3) Out right lies.

4) As a Christian, I cannot rule out the possibility of demons as well. According to my beliefs, demons are fallen angels. So if the angels can appear in various incarnations, then so can demons. Also, according to my beliefs, demons have access to the minds of unbelievers. Fabrication from that is entirely possible.

you should work for the government.
"nothing to see here. move along now" "officially, it was just a weather balloon floating in swamp gas during the aurora borealis while venus and saturn were lined up on the autumnal equinox as hale bop passed through our stratosphere."

Rausch
04-29-2002, 04:47 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

Hope my "entity" isn't reading this shit over my shoulder and thinking I need a lesson in respect tonight.... :eek:

I have waaaaaaaay too much wierd $#it happen in my house to even touch this thread.......

Phobia
04-29-2002, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by BRAD_CAUDLE
I have waaaaaaaay too much wierd $#it happen in my house
to even touch this thread.......

Spill, Brad. Grimm already put it out there and we're dying of anticipation.... I'm guessing your spirit friends are pissed about the mac and want a wintel machine on which to surf the net while you're sleeping or schlepping pizza.

Rausch
04-29-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by KPhobia

Spill, Brad. Grimm already put it out there and we're dying of anticipation.... I'm guessing your spirit friends are pissed about the mac and want a wintel machine on which to surf the net while you're sleeping or schlepping pizza.

:LOL: ROFL

I'll give ya' credit, that's some pretty inventive $#it there...

But no, you PC love'n Neanderthal....:grr:

I've got a few stories.

Nothing that couldn't be explained for the most part by happenstance or common sense. But after the 1,000th time, or too many coincidences, one is left no other option than to let the imagination wander.

There's a few things though that Brad just don't reapeat without being 6 deep in a 12 pack amongst friends in a well lit room.....

Digital Takawira
04-29-2002, 05:29 AM

:LOL: ROFL

I'll give ya' credit, that's some pretty inventive $#it there...

But no, you PC love'n Neanderthal....:grr:

I've got a few stories.

Nothing that couldn't be explained for the most part by happenstance or common sense. But after the 1,000th time, or too many coincidences, one is left no other option than to let the imagination wander.

There's a few things though that Brad just don't reapeat without being 6 deep in a 12 pack amongst friends in a well lit room.....

c'mon, it can't be any worse than turning on the bathroom light and seeing the word "DIE" written in blood on the mirror, can it?

Rausch
04-29-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by KcRaiderHater

c'mon, it can't be any worse than turning on the bathroom light and seeing the word "DIE" written in blood on the mirror, can it?

Fug it.......let me get my beer......gotta' be 5PM somewhere......:grr:

mcan
04-29-2002, 06:17 AM
This thread rules!
Rarely do I get "scared" anymore, although it was one of my favorite things as a kid to sit around and tell stories like this untill it was tough to go to sleep. But, sure enough I got a little creeped out while doing my last round at this basically deserted Sprint building. Way to go guys.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?postid=497356

BTW-
I have the definitive answer behind the "Three Men and A Baby" story. So, I'll take you through it as I found out.

1. My grandmother read a blurb about it in the paper, and my aunt Karen and I and my brother found the shot that was posted. It looked to me like a kid in a flannel shirt standing in the doorway and leaning up against a shotgun. My grandmother said that the studio said it was actually a cardboard cutout of "Elliot" from ET, and that it was in Ted Danson's room because his character in the movie is an actor.

2. I told all my friends about it, and they went nuts. We all agreed that it was the ghost of a boy, whom we heard had accidentally shot his mother while playing with the gun, and jumped from that very window in the house where the movie was filmed.

3. My friend Ryan had heard that one of the first people to see the "ghost" was actually the boys' aunt whom didn't know untill she recognized the house, that it was used to film the movie. The story goes, that she screamed and crawled over people to get out of the theatre, and no one knew what she was talking about.

4. I told this story to my friend Joe, and he insisted we rent it and that he see it. He was amazed, and we decided to watch the whole movie very closely to see if they ever go by that window again. The window in question is in Ted Danson's room, right next to his bed that has a gold statue of Buddah above it.

5. If you remember the story, thier house gets robbed by people looking drugs hidden with the baby. During the scene where the "men" are going through the ransacked rooms, there is a brief shot of Ted's room and there are indeed several cardboard figures laying on the floor. None that looked, to me, like Elliot or the boy. Later, the mother shows up again and takes the baby with her and supposedly leaves. The men chase her down at the airport, but arrive after the flight leaves. Then, there is a shot of Ted Danson, sitting on his bed, sulking. He then gets up and goes to the window to look out over the city. You'll have to rent it to see what Joe and I saw, but let me tell you, there was a brief moment of utter horror that Ted Danson was so close to this thing!! :eek:

ROYC75
04-29-2002, 07:07 AM
if theirs something strange, in the neiborhood, who ya gonna call..

Ghost Busters !

I had to do this to all the believers out there.:p

Lightning Rod
04-29-2002, 08:09 AM
Anyone that has ever watched Scooby-Doo knows, they are just some guy in a rubber mask looking for the "Armored-type car" that they sunk in the swamp.

Sheesh! You people need to get off the net and watch some cartoons once in a while.

Warrior5
04-29-2002, 08:29 AM
"...and they would've gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for those meddlin' kids!"

Fat Elvis
04-29-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Bwana
I don't believe ghosts, the tooth fairy, Santa or that Elvis is still alive hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa. :eek:

Ahem...about the Elvis part there....

Fat Elvis
04-29-2002, 09:09 AM
Actually, I believe in ghosts.

After my little brother died, I saw him one night. I thought that maybe I was dreaming or was overcome by grief, but when I told my mother about it, she said that she saw him and talked to him that night as well.

I also used to live in a haunted house when I went to K-State in Manhattan. If any of you live in Manhattan, go to 502 Osage (odd, but that is really the only one of my old addresses that I remember off the top of my head) and ask the occupants if they have seen any ghosts. I don't mind; I don't live there so you won't be harrassing me.....;)

chiefs_freak
04-29-2002, 10:34 AM
Ghosts is a very hard subject to talk about cause of all the non-believers, but all the weird things that have happened over time and they have done alot of reports on them. so i say there is enough evidence to go ahead and say hey they are real. but just like my dad he could bet money on it that ghosts arent real so we was at my uncle's house and its haunted and i told him to say that he doesnt believe in ghost before he went to bed to see if anything would happen but guess what nothing happen thats because he was to scared to say it before he went to bed. my uncle said that if you say that in that house that you dont believe in ghosts that they will make you a real believe before you leave that house. so thats why i never dought them when im there, pretty freaky if you ask me.:rolleyes:

e_train69
04-29-2002, 11:14 AM
I grew up in an old farmhouse (built around 1900) and my mother grew up only a half mile from there. She knew the people that lived there when she was growing up. She always swore that she would see the old man rocking in a rocking chair at the bottom of the stairs. No one else saw the man, but she was at ease with seeing him and she said he would sit there and rock for hours, never saying a word.
I didn't know if I believed her until one night, I was about 17 yrs. old, I was sitting out in the entry room watching TV. I was by myself, it was late at night ( about 11 o'clock) and I was sitting there drinking a glass of tea watching TV and reading something, just enjoying the quiet. Well, I had finished drinking my glass of tea, and I had also sit there and ate all the ice out of my glass. I sit there for maybe another minute or two, waiting for a commercial or something, and I was going to go to the kitchen and get some more ice and tea. I reached over to pick my glass up off the table, and it was completely full of tea and ice. I almost spilled it. I didn't know how to react. My mother and father were sleeping and I went into their room to make sure they were still there and asleep, because I couldn't figure out what had just happened. They were still there and very much asleep and I was the only other person in the house. I told my mother about it the next morning, and she seemed pleased that the "spirit" as she called him, had made contact with someone else.
Now I didn't see a ghost, but to this day I can't explain how this occured. I had not been drinking, I was in a perfect state of mind and was not tired. I know for a fact that my glass was completely empty, and seconds later was full again, and I never left my seat.
A few years later my sister- in-law was spending the night at my mothers house and she was pregnant. She said she was awakened by a man, and he was offering her a bouqet of flowers. She discribed the man to my mother and she said that it was him. Dressed in the same attire that my mother saw him in.
I'm not saying there are ghosts, but there are things that happen that I can't explain. There have been a few other instances that things have happened, even in the house I currently live in and own. It is only a half mile from where I grew up and it is an old Farmhouse too that was built about 1915.

I believe in something, I don't know what though.

chiefs_freak
04-29-2002, 11:39 AM
My mom said once when she was about 15 yrs old her and her brothers would be out in their farm out in california and it would be pich dark out and then all the sudden they would hear as a train was approaching it got louder and louder untill it sounded like it was right there but then it disappeared like nothing was there. but thats pretty freaky to be in the middle of now where, where their is not a set of railroad tracks for miles and miles and then all the sudden hear a train approaching you and then right before it going come at you it disappeares.:eek:

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2002, 12:12 PM
I'm a believer. I had one very freaky experience when I was a teenager. I used to go to a friends house to party on weekends and would stay there because I didn't want to get pulled over. I slept on the couch and during the night I would hear the cubboards opening and closing. I talked to them the next morning thinking he was playing some kind of prank on me. He said the apartment was haunted and that the cubboard thing happened all the time. I had this happen several times and would jump up from the couch and go into the kitchen and get goosebumps. I still was not fully convinced until one time when I was setting up a stereo system for a party at his place later that night. He was at work and there was nobody there except me and a freind who had no idea about the place. We were in the bedroom when all of the sudden there was a click sound in the living room. He had a stereo receiver with one of those turntables on top. When you pulled down on that lever it would make a click sound and the turntable would come on and the needle would place itself on the album as well as turn on the receiver. We both took a couple steps from where we were standing to pop our heads into the living room just in time to hear Styx Grand Illusion come on. We were both stone sober and the system had been completely off. We both freaked. Later I confirmed with the guy that lived there that he had had the same thing happen several times. Freeeaakkky

marcus
04-29-2002, 12:49 PM
...you know those pricklies you feel on the back of your neck...

put on a scarf it's cold!:D

People who beleive in ghosts see ghosts, they hear a noise, feel a cold breeze, it's a ghost.
People who do not beleive in ghosts do not, they hear a noise, feel a breeze, it's the water pipes or a drafty window.

I do not.

Marcus

Clint in Wichita
04-29-2002, 12:59 PM
I can't imagine dying, becoming a "ghost", and hanging around my old house just so I can turn lights on and off and make the floorboards squeak.

If ghosts were real, there would millions of them all over the place, if not billions.

I think some people have watched "Poltergeist" a few too many times. Put down the remote and slowly back away from the light...err....the TV.

Clint in Wichita
04-29-2002, 01:01 PM
BTW, I went to high school with a guy that said he saw Captain Crunch hovering in his living room, laughing at him. Freaky, huh?

That was immediately after he finished sniffing rubber cement fumes.

chiefs_freak
04-29-2002, 01:48 PM
Well then for ghost not to be real what about all those people who said that they have seen a ghost. are they just lying or crazy? well i think that not every person when they die can come back as a ghost i think that they have something keeping them on this earth, it may be unfininshed business or some other reason cause why would they want to stick around after they are already dead? pointless if you ask me. so there is something that is keeping these spirits around after death.:rolleyes:

morphius
04-29-2002, 02:04 PM
CF - Clint's answer was pretty predictable. Of course I was expecting it to say something more degrading then watching to many scary movies. I would expect that he has to see something with his own two eyes and then he "might" believe.

Clint in Wichita
04-29-2002, 02:49 PM
Excuuuuuuse me! I guess I'm the dummy here, huh?

Maybe a ghost remains on Earth after death because he feels as if he has lights to turn on, or chains to rattle before going on to Heaven, or whatever.

Why ghost sightings are any more credible than alien abductions or bigfoot sightings, I have no idea.

Have I ever told you about the time I saw the tooth fairy....

morphius
04-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Clint in Wichita
Have I ever told you about the time I saw the tooth fairy....

She didn't beat you up and turn you into the bitter man that you are did she :D

Morphius
Yup a Monday.

Pitt Gorilla
04-29-2002, 03:24 PM
etrain,
Maybe the guy was alive and just a bit intrusive...:D

Rausch
04-29-2002, 03:27 PM
What I find interesting is that quite often someone who believes in God does not believe in Ghosts, and someone who doesn't believe in any form of religon DOES believe in ghosts.

However one would justify the existance of ghosts, if one does believe in them, it almost automatically leads to one believing in the existance of a "soul" and an afterlife.

To believe in ghosts would almost certainly mean one would have to believe in an afterlife, no?

BIG_DADDY
04-29-2002, 03:36 PM
Morphius,

Take it easy ol Clint. It's tuff being a mental giant amongst the mentally inferior weasels that must make up all these stories to get attention.

Iowanian
04-29-2002, 03:57 PM
What I find interesting is that quite often someone who believes in God does not believe in Ghosts, and someone who doesn't believe in any form of religon DOES believe in ghosts.

Brad, You took the thought right out of my typing fingers.

I've lived in the town I'm in now for about 3 years. When i moved here, the market was tough for housing...but one pretty nice old house was open....1 1/2 stories with an unfinished attic the landlord stored antiques in...(cool stuff....beveled glass frames with pics from the late 1800's....tin prints....cool stuff.

anywho,
There I was....living in the house, alone. I started noticing the cuppord doors open, drawers open, and the smell of cigarettes(don't smoke) in the house. MY first thought, was maybe some of the downsyndrome guys from the home up the road were messing in the house during the day.....even went home at strange hrs to check a few times....nothing....I'd close em, and once in a while, all open in the AM......no big deal......For some reason, I did get the "EEBY-Jeebies" in the basement.

One night I was sitting in my "man chair" watching the tv just before bed.....and i felt a slap in the back of my head....like if your wife caught you looking at porn on the net....open hand whap.....I turned.......I was just 3 bats hoovering around the room.......it was a fierce fight, and I'm sure the neighbors were confused by the door open in the winter, with a man in his underwear snapping a towel in the air, yelling like Geronimo........I did wake up a week later with a bite on my right hand palm....no biggie.

the wild part
One night, I half woke up to the sound like someone was vigorously ruffeling a plastic bag near my head....thought I saw a "shadow" standing over my bed........I woke up"angry".....and yelled at whatever it was "get the hell outta here"....and heard a huge "crash"....and nothing....went to sleep.

Next morning I got up for work, and when I left, noticed glass all over the yard......Two windows from my attic were completely blown from their frames, all outside and scattered along the entire lenth of my yard......not one piece of glass inside.

not one leaf down in the neighborhood, and no storms.

I tell the story at work....and the stories come out....People have moved in/out of that house for years because of a "boogie man".

don't know what it was......don't care now....I bought a house and moved.

DJay23
04-29-2002, 04:10 PM

If ghosts were real, there would millions of them all over the place, if not billions.

I agree with this completely and i will take it a step further. If there are ghosts of people why aren't there ghosts of anything else that has ever lived? Being a student of biology, I have learned that people are not different biologically than any other living thing. People aren't special in terms of the supernatural. THis is partly why i don't believe people have souls, or in ghosts, or afterlife or any of that stuff. If there were ghosts of everything ever people would report seeing ghost trees and ghost dinosaurs and ghost whales a lot more. you don't hear that too much.

That being said I can't explain ghost stories. i wasn't there, i don't know if someone was halucinating or what but i have a hypothesis that people get it in their head that there is a ghost and anything coincidental that matches the criteria is automatically a ghost, much as marcus said.

a lot of this comes from what i call the "conceit of man." to think that space aliens have to be humanoid, and that humans are the only ones with souls, and that we are the peak of evolution. its a product of our big conceited brains.

Ghost stories in my opinion are just a romantic way to remember the dead. i know i would never be scared walking into an old creaky attic at 2 in the morning.

Oh and MTV's Fear...................FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watch it closely and use some inductive reasoning. there is someone from MTV wandering around these "haunted sites" and banging doors and such. alot of what you see on that show isn't that scary its, the stories they feed them that scare the contestants.

Iowanian
04-29-2002, 04:11 PM
A buddy and his new wife bought a farm/house several years ago.....his brother/wife lived there for a year, and then he moved back[/preface]

They moved to a different area and sold the farm. At the "going away" bbq his wife starts telling a story.....

She said one(several later) night they were lieing in the bed, neked, she awoke to see a blond/blue eyed "figure" with a bowel cut, wool pants, henley shirt......bla blah blah....just standing there watching them.....said she woke my buddy up, and he saw it too.

I asked him later....he told the exact same story, down the the buttons on the shirt......his sister in law walked in at the end, had a caniption fit......said they saw the same thing and described it.

A month earlier, my buddy had a baby girl....the mama got up for the 5am feeding etc....fell asleep on the couch with the baby face down on her "large chest".....she said she felt a shake, heard her name....and saw him standing there....he'd woken her up....baby face down.

they felt it was a "casper the friendly ghost".

Clint in Wichita
04-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Those people on "Fear" are imbeciles. Typical MTV viewers, that is.

chiefs_freak
04-29-2002, 04:24 PM
I thought that MTV show "fear" was a pretty good show but you could tell that they had to be doing that stuff that was happing. hell let me on that show so i can win 5,000 easy bucks.

Iowanian
04-29-2002, 04:28 PM
how's this for a spooky story....supposedly true...but it scares the living shiite outta little kids around a campfire.....and weeks after according to the mothers who've called weeks later... :D

This guy, who is a complete dick, and deserves to be fisted personally by the debil......moved to Calirado about 10 years ago....right out of school.

moved into a furnished small house behind his boss'.

[the setup] small, quaint little brick house with a bedroom, with bed facing doorway looking directly down a hallway.......first night in the house [/end setup]

The guy is laying in bed, looks down the hall, and sees a little "troll/goblin/boogie man" at the end....it taunts him, points at him and laughs an evil laugh.....runs a few steps closer....does it again....saying personal things that no one would know....it gets to the end of the bed.....this 6'4" 19yr old guy ducks under the covers like a little kid..........The goblin lifts the blanket/sheets at the foot of the bed, crawls under the blanket, crawls up his body and is laying on his chest.....and gives him the "whatfor".....

the guy runs out of his house crying like a girl in his underwear....wakes the boss.....boss is bewildered...the last tennant moved quickly saying something similar....hence the furnishings left.

The next day, owner has priest come over to "bless the house" or something.....priest walks in, turns around and says "burn it"....and they did.

The story came from the guy's dad, whom I know very well and trust........No one call validate the story itself..but he paid alot of MON-AY for therapy for his son, and did drive to CO to bring him home.....

angel
04-29-2002, 04:33 PM

As much as I would love ghosts to be real, I don't believe in them.
The closest I've come to a 'haunting' experience is at my job. It's in a dead mall (no pun intended), and I work at one of the few stores that are left in it. I have been witness to two happenings, and I have co-workers that have experienced similar occurrances.
One day, I was talking with one of my co-workers, I had my back to the store facing her, she was facing towards the store. I heard the sound of footsteps behind me- running- and felt a presence. So naturally, I turned to help the customer, but there was nobody there. I turned back to my co-worker, and she had a look on her face that told me she had heard/felt it, too- but hadn't seen anyone. And I confirmed that by asking her.
Some time later, I was alone in the store sitting at the desk, and heard/felt someone running from the front of the store, right past me, and to the back of the store. That one still freaks me out.
And I have heard my co-workers tell of similar experiences.

I want to just write them off as 'mall sounds', but that one that happened right next to me, I am still unable to explain...

jiveturkey
04-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Angel,
Do you work at Metcalf South? I worked for the Jones Store when I was in high school and there was some freaky stuff happening in some of the stock rooms.

I believe in ghosts some of the time and it's only because my cats go into our second bathroom and they make the strangest sounds. When I go in there to see WTF is going on they are all puffed up and they have their ears back like they are ready to remove my scrodum with their claws. There's got to be something in there freaking them out.:rolleyes:

C-Mac
04-29-2002, 05:53 PM
However one would justify the existance of ghosts, if one does believe in them, it almost automatically leads to one believing in the existance of a "soul" and an afterlife.
To believe in ghosts would almost certainly mean one would have
to believe in an afterlife, no?

Man, I tried to stay away from this thread cause I know its a waste of time.......

Brad,
1:Yes, if you believe in the "Bible",then you would have to accept the existance of spirit creatures. If you dont, then throw the bible away. There are 2 types, only 1 type would appear in view of man today.(let the reader discern)
2:No, the soul and the afterlife have nothing in common according to the bible. The words "immortal soul" does not appear anywhere in the bible. You are a soul according to the bible and you are very mortal.
3:You would not have to believe in the afterlife if you actually seen a apparition, you just have to believe in what you saw.
Note: Words of wisdom- They are very real, stay as far away as you can from such activity for it can be very dangerous.

Clint in Wichita
04-29-2002, 06:19 PM
They are very real

and I'm soooooo scared. Please, please don't hurt me Mr. Ghost! I don't want to be one of the thousands of people that are murdered each year by...*GULP*...ghosts!!

C-Mac
04-29-2002, 10:55 PM
and I'm soooooo scared. Please, please don't hurt me Mr. Ghost! I don't want to be one of the thousands of people that are murdered each year by...*GULP*...ghosts!!

Explaination from an educated expert in the paranormal I would assume?

Clint,
It is obviously easy to mock what you do not understand. Not all things that people claim to see are apparitions(ghosts), the brain is capapable of being altered in to seeing things that acctually do not exist. But if 2 or more people have\seeing the same experience\apparition, then obviously an alternative conclusion would have to be made. All it takes is one first hand experience and a person could easily understand, but since your the expert, why dont you explain to me what their seeing\experiencing.

FYI-The definition of "dangerous" is not "murder", although such extreme occurances have been recorded.

mcan
04-30-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by jiveturkey
Angel,
Do you work at Metcalf South? I worked for the Jones Store when I was in high school and there was some freaky stuff happening in some of the stock rooms.

Jive,
I work with Angel in the Metcalf South Eyemasters. Funny that you mention it, because I have also heard the sound, and giggles, of a child running from the front of the store to the back room. What weird things have you seen/heard. We haven't had anything other than noises.

Rausch
04-30-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Iowanian

Brad, You took the thought right out of my typing fingers.

the wild part
One night, I half woke up to the sound like someone was vigorously ruffeling a plastic bag near my head....thought I saw a "shadow" standing over my bed........I woke up"angry".....and yelled at whatever it was "get the hell outta here"....and heard a huge "crash"....and nothing....went to sleep.

Ok, now I give...

This stuff freaks me out....

I live in my Great grandparents house, next door to my grandparents, in a 4 block radious where all of my family lived until their death. We literally owned the area, and were a very close family.

Anyway, after seeing some very questionable stuff in this house, I refused to live here even after my grandparents offered it to me, for over a year. Finally, having no where else TO live, I caved.

Plenty of wierd stuff has happened, but this takes the cake. Creeps me the fug out typing in now.

Ok, I'm laying on the floor (water bed bladder sprang a leak) with my girlfriend, heads pointed towards the bedroom door, perpendicular to it. I'm laying there, and suddenly wake up.

I look up and see a black figure. Shaped like a person, normal size and such, but 100% black. Not like a ghost, more like a 3 dimensional shadow. It was bent over me, looking right down at me, staring.....It tilted it's "head", exactly the way a dog does when it's confused, and stood there for about 5 or 6 seconds....

I wanted to $#it myself....

I muster the bravery to nudge the girlfriend, who wakes up, looks right at the thing and goes: "Oh........Just go back to sleep Brad."

And the wierdest thing?

I just say "Ok....." I roll back over(WITH THAT THING still looking at me, my BACK TO IT)and go back to sleep.

I woke up the next day and felt VERY wierded out. WTF would I say OK and even BE ABLE to go right to sleep? I'm an insomniac! I can't just go back to sleep without milling around the house for an hour or two FIRST. Not to mention seeing something that totally wierded me out, and then just TURNING MY BACK on it and going back to sleep.

Very bizzare.

Clint in Wichita
04-30-2002, 08:26 AM
Explaination from an educated expert in the paranormal I would assume?

No, of course not. Anyone who does claim to be an expert is full of crap, because neither they nor anyone else on Earth has ever seen a ghost, spirit, poltergeist, or any of that other nonsense. They don't exist.

Rausch
04-30-2002, 08:39 AM

No, of course not. Anyone who does claim to be an expert is full of crap, because neither they nor anyone else on Earth has ever seen a ghost, spirit, poltergeist, or any of that other nonsense. They don't exist.

That's true and untrue.....

Weather ghost sightings are hallucinations or whatever are still unknown.

One can not say that the existance of a God is fact, and provable, nor can one say the same about a ghost.

It would be like saying one is an expert on God and how he works.

And if one were to believe in God, I would think however he/she would choose to operate might be beyond our ability to comprehend. "Ghosts" may or may not be a part of the plan a God may have.

If said God exists.....;)

Clint in Wichita
04-30-2002, 08:42 AM
Some people may be an expert on the Bible, but no living human is an expert on God, even if he does exist.

Rausch
04-30-2002, 08:43 AM
Some people may be an expert on the Bible, but no living human is an expert on God, even if he does exist.

Exactly.......

It's early, and I'm tired.

You stated that a bit better...;)

C-Mac
04-30-2002, 09:30 AM

Obviously the non-answer I expected. I guess the posed question I presented you was a little bit too much for you. I was just wondering, as I am not allowed by you to state that its a fact that such things do exist, by what authority do you have to state that "They don't exist"? If one can be a bible expert, then why cant one be an expert on understanding the God of the bible?

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2002, 10:36 AM
Interesting link on the subject http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/

Chieficus
04-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Interesting link on the subject http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/

Had a look through a good deal of the pictures there... That was fun. Amazing how these people get all these "weird" things on film that they don't actually see until they get the film back.

I like to chase storms and therefore I go through a lot of film. (Also have a brother-in-law who has spent a good deal of his career life as a professional photographer).

I have pictures in my albums...

One is this beautiful shot of a storm--has a couple of these little "orbs" on them. Look exactly the same as those do in the pictures. Mine are drops of condensation on the lense.

Have another of a rainbow. It has a weird pattern in the upper-right hand corner. I left the camera in the glove box of my car in New Mexico. It got into the 20's in the night and the 70's in the day. The temperature change in combination with moisture levels inside my camera cause sweat on the film.

Have seen all sorts of pictures of streaks just appearing--both black and white. Bad film and/or light getting to the film when it shouldn't.

Have a friend who has all sorts of weird images back in the shadows of the "normal" pictures. His camera is 22 years old and is falling apart. Half the time it doesn't advance the film like it should and you get all sorts of super-imposed freakyness.

Not to mention the "ghost" pictures some other friends purposely made last year... they look like the real deal, unless you know they're fake from the get go.

Of course, we always have our face on mars to reassure us that aliens (and thus, we can conclude ghosts too--right?) exist. But oh wait, we've got better pictures now. The face is just a hill that has some funky lighting effects going on...except for those who still want to see the face.

Clint in Wichita
04-30-2002, 12:09 PM
why cant one be an expert on understanding the God of the bible?

Uh, maybe because the God in the Bible, if he exists, is all-knowing, all-powerful, and has the ability to create and destroy the entire universe at will. A human being an expert on God would be like a dog being an expert on nuclear-powered aircraft carriers.

Show me proof, not urban legends, doctored photos, or stories handed down from the friend of a friend of a great uncle.

If these "ghosts" so desperately want to contact us, why the hell do they usually appear to one person who's all alone? Why not appear at midfield during the Super Bowl?

Maybe these "ghosts", if they exist, aren't any more intelligent in the afterlife then they when they were alive.

steve_minor
04-30-2002, 03:05 PM
I play darts on Tuesday nights. A teammate and good friend of mine (Pete) has an aunt who subs for us once in awhile. She moved into a house in Winsted, MN about 10 months ago. Every since they have moved in they get woke up in the middle of the night by loud crashes and footsteps. They have plenty of convincing stories so me and a couple of buddies decided to stay there one night and see if any of it was true. Well to make this short, while we were there a hair dryer turned on when no one was in the bathroom. Silverware clanked in the kitchen, and that was about it. We were using a camera with night vision and going through the attic and basement in complete darkness. It was quite scary!! We all slept in the living room. I was on the coach by the steps going up to the attic. I awoke around 3:00 am with the door to the attic being opened and shut hard over and over again. Everything else that night could have been exused with science somehow, but this could not. I awoke my friends and it stopped after about 5 minutes. This confirmed my belief of ghosts being real.

Fast Forward a couple months...

I got engaged in November. I am getting married June 1st 2002. Well as the big day has drawn near we have been active in church classes and going to the church that we are getting married in. I have changed my beliefs. Ghost do exist, but they are not peoples souls hanging around. I now strongly believe that ghosts are the devil tricking people. Look at this thread...It has caught on fire since it was posted. Ghosts are interesting and question some peoples beliefs about God. The devil creates these diversions so we don't focus on God. Every moment we don't is an opportunity for him to pull us away. I don't want to sound like I am preaching but when you think about it, it makes sense!! IMO

Steve Minor

morphius
04-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Steve - I don't think it really has worked that way. As far as I can tell, the people here who believe in God have questioned ghosts. more then people questioning God because of ghosts. I'm not saying that it couldn't be demons, but I think it is unlikely that it would be the Devil's plan as I think in a however many thousands of years man has been on Earth he could come up with something better then that.

jiveturkey
04-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by mcan

Jive,
I work with Angel in the Metcalf South Eyemasters. Funny that you mention it, because I have also heard the sound, and giggles, of a child running from the front of the store to the back room. What weird things have you seen/heard. We haven't had anything other than noises.
We had abandoned stores as stock rooms on the upper floors and there weren't any voices or anything just lots of weird noises and sometimes it seemed like stuff had been moved over night.

You have to remember that I smoked a lot back then and I'm not talking about camels.;) So I just thought it was cool and never really took it seriously. It was definately some freaky chit though.

BTW you guys work right down the street from me, we should do lunch sometime.

Pitt Gorilla
04-30-2002, 03:26 PM
Today, my air-conditioning kicked on by itself THREE different times!

BigOlChiefsfan
04-30-2002, 04:13 PM
I believe The Ghost In The Shell was pretty cool.

Digital Takawira
04-30-2002, 04:58 PM
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/CMSIcons/N/000/06/64/Headshot.gif
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/CMSIcons/N/000/01/55/Headshot.gif

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

C-Mac
04-30-2002, 07:07 PM

Uh, maybe because the God in the Bible, if he exists, is all-knowing, all-powerful, and has the ability to create and destroy the entire universe at will. A human being an expert on God would be like a dog being an expert on nuclear-powered aircraft carriers.

Show me proof, not urban legends, doctored photos, or stories handed down from the friend of a friend of a great uncle.

If these "ghosts" so desperately want to contact us, why the hell do they usually appear to one person who's all alone? Why not appear at midfield during the Super Bowl?

Maybe these "ghosts", if they exist, aren't any more intelligent in the afterlife then they when they were alive.

I was speaking about the understanding of his will and purpose for mankind. Obviously no one is as powerful or knowledgable as the God of the bible, didnt think I would have to explain this to you. But one could obtain the understanding of his will, for that is the reason the bible was written. Within those writings you would find an answer to every question imaginable about Gods thoughts toward mankind. If ever someday you choose to read the bible, you'll see that "ghost" explainations are understandable and clearly explained. That is why I said in my first post that if you dont believe in "ghosts\spirits" yet claim to follow the bible....... just throw it away. Its either truth or its contraditory and inconsistent, therefore making it invalid. If you want the scriptures on this subject, let me know. There has been many occurances even by those here posting that more than "one" has seen or experienced the same paranormal phenomena.
But Im sure you'll dismiss them as quacks and physco's. Just remember to them it was very real and no matter what you say it will not change what they expierenced.

Mr Grimm
04-30-2002, 07:26 PM
I dont understand how ANYONE can believe in God and not in ghosts,Demons,Devil,Etc.

You ganna tell me that you believe in something that has always "been"! and one day he got bored and made US!???
Bullsh*t!!

If you can believe that a "higher Power" made us....how can you not believe that another type of "power" can keep a soul here on Earth.....or to appear at RANDOM!!

OK...so God just was, has been, and always will be......:rolleyes:
If you believe in god....then you should have to believe in anything!!!!!

........:banghead: :banghead:

Chieficus
04-30-2002, 08:44 PM

Talk about a logical fallacy...

Take the God of the Bible for instance... He is a God that is infinite and all power and the only reason anything exists is because He exists. In the way He formed His creation, there is an order to things that includes an either/or finality upon physical death (heven/hell).

Belief in a God like that would make a belief in ghosts less rational.

Mr Grimm
04-30-2002, 08:56 PM

Talk about a logical fallacy...

Take the God of the Bible for instance... He is a God that is infinite and all power and the only reason anything exists is because He exists. In the way He formed His creation, there is an order to things that includes an either/or finality upon physical death (heven/hell).

Belief in a God like that would make a belief in ghosts less rational.

SORRY...posted that a little wrong last time...
i meant if you believe in somthing that just "IS" how do you REALLY know that there arent "Other Powers" we cant explain!!?

TO just believe somthing BLINDLY is moronic...even Jesus questioned God.

Not to mention "Hell" wasnt created untill Lucifer started the "war of angels"

Angels being spirits.....it makes no sense to say you believe in a heaven and a hell but the soul cannot be "lost" to say...
if they fel that they cannot be fully happy in "heaven" why wouldnt an "all loving God" let them say a last good-bye for example.

mcan
05-01-2002, 01:58 AM

Had a look through a good deal of the pictures there... That was fun. Amazing how these people get all these "weird" things on film that they don't actually see until they get the film back.

...I have pictures in my albums...

One is this beautiful shot of a storm--has a couple of these little "orbs" on them. Look exactly the same as those do in the pictures. Mine are drops of condensation on the lense...

Have another of a rainbow...with moisture levels inside my camera cause sweat on the film.

Have seen all sorts of pictures of streaks just appearing--both black and white. Bad film and/or light getting to the film when it shouldn't.

OK, I left the Mars Face thing alone, because that is a differant argument. I completely agree with you about these "orbs" and most of the -if you look really close, and squint, you can see somebody's shoullder, and it's weird, because that's where my dad ALWAYS used to keep his shoulder- pics.

That said, I found about four or five pics on these pages that really freaked me out. How's about this one?

http://www.theshadowlands.net/storypic.htm
http://www.theshadowlands.net/story1a.jpg
http://www.theshadowlands.net/story1b.jpg

mcan
05-01-2002, 02:03 AM
How about these?
http://www.theshadowlands.net/allofus.jpg
http://www.theshadowlands.net/allofus-crop.jpg

Or THIS ONE!
http://www.theshadowlands.net/ghost_and_sunny.jpg

Logical
05-01-2002, 02:25 AM
Really do not believe in ghosts but of course I am willing to witness and validate any offerings of proof. An open mind is a good thing.:D

Digital Takawira
05-01-2002, 03:55 AM
that looks more like a zombie than a ghost in the first pic, mcan!
you better make sure your shotgun is loaded and you are carrying the key card to level 3.

yvettesvoice
05-01-2002, 08:17 AM
I've read through this whole thread; glad I didn't last night.

I grew up in a haunted house in KC, and my mom still lives there. My earliest memory of hauntings started around the age of 8. Of course, anyone would say I watched too much scary stuff or ate too much crap before bedtime. I thought so, too, but this stuff went on for about 10 years. My family thought I was nuts.

I used to hear a womans screams, almost every damn night. My bed was right next to a window, and I thought someone was outside. Can't tell you how many times I ran to my parents room and woke them up. I also used to feel a hand trying to push me up and out of the bed. That was creepy; took me years to get over my fear of sleeping on my back. Sometimes I would see a filmy figure going through various rooms in the house. That wasn't scary at all though, compared to those screams.

I think it was in 1981 that a reporter from the KC Magazine showed up at the front door, about 8 am. She said they were doing a story on KC's most infamous unsolved murder. It happened in the 40's, and the anniversary was coming up. We asked her what this had to do with our house, and she then told us it happened in our house... in the back bedroom, my room!!!

We all know that realtors are supposed to disclose stuff like that, but ours hadn't. To complicate matters, he was now a friend of the family. When questioned, he admitted that he knew about it, and that was the reason the house was such a steal. Guess a few other people had experiences while living there...

Anyway, the reporter asked if anyone had ever experienced anything strange, and my dingbat sister said that I had for years. The reporter wanted to bring a psychic over to talk to me, but my mom put a stop to that right away. My mother also declined any interviews, and would not allow the reporter any access to the house.

They did the story anyway, and if you are so inclined to dig, you will be able to find it. After reading the story, which if I remember right was a short series, my bed was in the exact same place that hers was, and that window was the entry point for the murderer.

It was a gruesome murder.

Chief Henry
05-01-2002, 08:38 AM
back when i participated in more "youthful discreation" activities
I woke up with a few "ghostly" figures!!!!! :eek:

I've really enjoyed reading this thread........let me put it this way in what I beleave. I hope thier is no Ghosts or extra oddities out thier, because i scare easily.

angel
05-01-2002, 09:39 AM

BTW you guys work right down the street from me, we should do lunch sometime.

;) ya buyin'?

I've decided that the footsteps, and apparently giggling that Matt hears, is this kid that got lost from his mom in the mall- now he runs around looking for her- and I guess, he moves stuff around, too :D

jiveturkey
05-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by angel

;) ya buyin'?

I've decided that the footsteps, and apparently giggling that Matt hears, is this kid that got lost from his mom in the mall- now he runs around looking for her- and I guess, he moves stuff around, too :D
That little bastard:cuss:

BTW the only people I buy lunch for are women and people who can make me money:D

And I like to eat at Hooters:toast:

angel
05-01-2002, 09:51 AM

That little bastard:cuss:

BTW the only people I buy lunch for are women and people who can make me money:D

And I like to eat at Hooters:toast:

my aunt used to work at Hooters... I hear they have good wings

where are you working now? is it haunted, too?

jiveturkey
05-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by angel

my aunt used to work at Hooters... I hear they have good wings

where are you working now? is it haunted, too?
I work off of College and Metcalf and no it's not haunted but it is deadROFL I kill myselfROFL

Hooters has the best wings IMO plus during lunch time you get to see all the skanky high school drop out waiteresess.

chiefs_freak
05-02-2002, 04:32 PM
My dad dont believe in ghost's so i need to get a way to scare the piss out of him so that he has a little trouble sleeping at night just like the rest of us sometimes. Its only fair........Right!

KCChiefsMan
03-02-2003, 06:44 PM
I do believe in ghosts, I never had an encounter or anything (at least I don't think I have), but there are too many stories and I believe that people have a soul which doesn't die, people go to heaven and hell? yes, but I do believe in ghosts. But I think that probably some of these stories could very well be false, schizophrenia......a lot of these stories sound like symptoms of this disease, but others are more believeable.

The only weird thing that I can think of happening to me is that my damn stereo turns on and plays loud music whenever it wants to, it's not on any kind of timer or anything and I wouldn't even know how to change the timer, but it turns on at totally different times each day. Its done this ever since I moved to Lawrence, but I doubt if its a ghost, just something that seems weird.

mcan
03-02-2003, 06:55 PM
This thread is a total blast from the past.

I got myself pretty worked up at night reading this thing while I was an overnight security guard at Sprint. Then, on Halloween, we had some strange sh!t happen on the fifth floor. We eventually found out that one of the doors wasn't latching and that the wind was actually causing the door to click open and shut just a fraction of an inch, which caused all the alarms to go berserk, and the silent alarm to trip. It made us think that someone or something was walking around upstairs... We got pretty spooked. Totally explainable, but it happened at exactly 12:00 midnight, and continued untill dawn... (when the wind stopped) :rolleyes:

SNR
03-02-2003, 07:05 PM
There's a couple urban legends up here in Grand Forks

Not sure how the whole this goes, but it's basically one hot humid summer day when they were filling in the pavement for the old Highway 81 for the first time, a man tripped and fell into the trench just as the asphalt came down. Nobody noticed until a hand came out. By the time they tried to help him, the man had already drowned.

It's said that every year on that same summer night, a man will be hitchhiking. Supposedly he'll get in your car, and wait until you drive away. When you turn your head back to check on him, he'll be gone. Also if there's any strangers wondering around the fields on that night, there will sometimes be an old man walking up to you and asking you for a light for his smoke. If you say yes and look for one, he'll disapper. If you say no, then supposedly he'll walk away and you'll be cursed with 5 years of bad luck.

There's also one about the airbase, that during the cold war, the GFAFB was one of the top 5 targets Russia had on their list to nuke, if it came to that. When things were very very tense, a man on guard duty there one night couldn't take it and hung himself on the water tower. Now whenever soldiers have guard duty by themselves at night, they'll look and see someone climbing up the water tower. Usually they send a party to check it out, and they always come up empty handed.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-02-2003, 07:08 PM
this thread died 5/2/02 and reappears exactly nine months later...

Frazod
03-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Yes, I do. I spent a few days in a house that had a documented ghost.

Several years ago I visited a friend of mine who lived in officer housing at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne. The base was originally an old cavalry outpost, Fort D. A. Russell. The house I stayed in was well over 100 years old and had always been used as officer's quarters.

Apparently, the wife of an officer was having an affair with another officer. The husband came home, and the other guy tried to escape out an upstairs window. According to the story, he slipped and fell to his death.

The first day I got to the house, my friend told me the story, and that I would hear things in the night. I told him he was full of shit. Then he took his dog and carried it upstairs to the room in question. The dog acted normally everywhere else, but in this room, went nuts. He whimpered and squirmed, and when my friend put him down, he bolted out of the room.

I did notice that the room was cold, but it was November, so I didn't think anything of it.

That night, I slept in a room separated from this back room by a short hallway. Now, I've slept in old houses before, and am aware of the sounds they make (pipes, creaking, etc.). But no house makes a sound like footsteps and a sword rattling in a scabbard! :eek:

I was scared shitless and barely slept. For the rest of the time I was there, I slept on a couch downstairs, and was fine.

There was something in that room. I know it.

conjureman
03-02-2003, 07:21 PM
if you see a ghost, cut him--that'll break that stuff up! Redd Foxx

LegitimusGrim
03-02-2003, 09:06 PM

Clint,

I have never seen you other than in cyberspace. Maybe you don't exist. I have seen some things that defy explanation, and the fact that you weren't there with me when I saw them doesn't make them any less real to me.

KcMizzou
03-02-2003, 09:14 PM
I haven't read this whole thread (yet) but I'll give my opinion anyway.

Frankly, I don't know. I think there's a hell of alot we don't understand. Things that can't be explained.

It's similar to askin' "do you believe in the afterlife?" I don't know, I haven't died yet. I sure as hell wanna believe in it, because otherwise the outlook is pretty bleak.

The paranormal makes for great movie material... and gets written of as superstition. I tend to think there's a little truth behind the mythology. I have a couple stories... (one from a personal friend... and one from a family member).... that give me pause. I can't just write it off as bunk anymore.

The Pedestrian
03-02-2003, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure if there are or aren't ghosts, but it sure would explain a lot. If I ever get a chance to live in the White House, I'll check to see if those "ghost stories" are real........if anything from the stories happens, I'll tell all y'all. So far it's been reported that Lincoln's ghost stands next to the Oval Office's window, one of the first ladies is in the laundry room (Mrs. Adams, I think), and a ghost is in the bedroom.

Raiderhader
03-02-2003, 09:37 PM
This is a cross post from the Stull thread. I decided it fit better here.

Just a few miles down the road from our house is a tiny town called Omen (the name says it all don't you think?). And there is an old shool there that was burned down by a kid who played on the basektball team. I'm not sure on the time period, but I think this was back in the 40s or 50s. Anyway the kids girlfriend broke up with him so he burned the place down. Now it is just the walls and the place is completely grown over inside and out. You can't even see it from the street. But the legend goes that some times when you are there you can hear the kid dribbling his basketball. And one of my brothers also heard that you can see a pair of red eyes in the gym when you hear the ball being dribbled. I've been there a couple of times and didn't see or hear anything. I was actually more concerned with whatever creepy crawlies might be around. But the place is creepy especially when you know the story and are looking for a pair of red eyes. I've always wanted to take a basketball up there when we go up and sneek off and start dribbling it, but there is never one around. :D

I heard another story about a school bus full of kids that got stuck on railroad tracks some where in Louisianna (I think that's the right state) and a train came along and killed them all. Legend has it that if you put powder or dust on the back of your car and park on the tracks in that same place you can get out and see hand prints where the kids where trying to push the car off the tracks. The girl who told us that said she'd seen it herself, but I still have a hard time buying it. Creepy none the less.

KcMizzou
03-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Goober
If I ever get a chance to live in the White House more frightening than any ghost story I ever heard :shake:

alanm
03-02-2003, 09:42 PM
I do believe in ghosts, I do believe in ghosts, I do, I do, I do I do, I do.
(Trying to mimic the cowardly lion:D )

The Pedestrian
03-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by KcMizzou
more frightening than any ghost story I ever heard :shake:

It's somewhat possible.......

bet that scared ya even more

Raiderhader
03-02-2003, 09:49 PM
I only read the first two or three pages of this and didn't feel like finishing it so I'm not sure if this was addressed or not. Sorry if it was.

Chris mentioned his reason for not believing in ghost was Biblical (I concur but will get to that) and some one brought up Jesus being seen after he was crusified as an example of ghost. But that is not accurate. The Bible says that Jesus was raised from the dead and there was no body in the grave. Plus the encounters he had with his disciples states that they were able to touch Him and feel his wounds. So Jesus was in human form not spiritual.

I do believe in a spirit world. I believe in God, satan, angles, and demons. I do not believe in ghost (except the Holy Ghost:D). The Bible says nothing about humans taking a spiritual form and hanging around earth. When in spiritual form they are either in heaven or hell. All spirits that roam the earth were created by God. And there are encounters in the Bible of these spirits, or angles and demons, of appearing before man. So I don't automatically dismiss anyone's story of seeing something from the "other world", but am skeptical of them being called ghost as ghost tends to refer to a human spirit. But that is just me.

The Pedestrian
03-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by raiderhader

Chris mentioned his reason for not believing in ghost was Biblical (I concur but will get to that) and some one brought up Jesus being seen after he was crusified as an example of ghost. But that is not accurate. The Bible says that Jesus was raised from the dead and there was no body in the grave. Plus the encounters he had with his disciples states that they were able to touch Him and feel his wounds. So Jesus was in human form not spiritual.

We can't exactly jump to the conclusion that there was such thing as the resurrection........ Say that there was a man named Jesus that was crucified (ya know, hypothetically)...so THREE days later, the grave is visited; the stone is rolled away and the guards unconcious or dead or in shock (depends which version you read). Mary M. finds the man and thinks he's the gardener, but he says he's Jesus. Now here's the part that they don't say in the bible that has a possibility of being real.........the guy could've killed the guards and found a way to move the stone. Upon moving the stone, he took the body out and gave it a more proper burial in an unknown location....he then lied about being Jesus for the next 80 days followed by committing suicide.

Frazod
03-02-2003, 10:06 PM
I only read the first two or three pages of this and didn't feel like finishing it so I'm not sure if this was addressed or not. Sorry if it was.

I do believe in a spirit world. I believe in God, satan, angles, and demons. I do not believe in ghost (except the Holy Ghost:D). The Bible says nothing about humans taking a spiritual form and hanging around earth. When in spiritual form they are either in heaven or hell. All spirits that roam the earth were created by God. And there are encounters in the Bible of these spirits, or angles and demons, of appearing before man. So I don't automatically dismiss anyone's story of seeing something from the "other world", but am skeptical of them being called ghost as ghost tends to refer to a human spirit. But that is just me.

Spend a night in that friggin house in Wyoming I posted about. After a fun-filled night of listening to the Major pace around rattling his saber, you'll be convinced. I guarantee it.

keg in kc
03-02-2003, 10:10 PM

I do believe in a spirit world. I believe in God, satan, angles, and demons. I do not believe in ghost (except the Holy Ghost:D). The Bible says nothing about humans taking a spiritual form and hanging around earth. How do you stand on cats?

Sorry. Couldn't resist... :evil:

LVNHACK
03-02-2003, 10:11 PM

Spend a night in that friggin house in Wyoming I posted about. After a fun-filled night of listening to the Major pace around rattling his saber, you'll be convinced. I guarantee it.

If that ghost had met you it'd gone back to where ever and told the other ghost's how much you scared him :D

LVNHACK
03-02-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by keg in kc
How do you stand on cats?

Sorry. Couldn't resist... :evil:

usually on the neck............ :evil: :evil: :fire:

keg in kc
03-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by LVNHACK

usually on the neck............ :evil: :evil: :fire: I just thought the same thing, myself, re-reading that.

Maybe I should'a said "what's your stance on cats?"

Ah well...

Hopefully the wife's ready to start the movie now.

Frazod
03-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by LVNHACK

If that ghost had met you it'd gone back to where ever and told the other ghost's how much you scared him :D

Sorry, but I was about to shit myself. Can't ever remember being that scared.

LVNHACK
03-02-2003, 10:22 PM
There are all kind of ghost stories at the prison.........We've got some staff that won't go certain places by themselves, some say they've seen ghosts........ I for one have never saw any.

stevieray
03-02-2003, 10:25 PM
I believe in the ghost of Len Dawson.

BIG K
03-02-2003, 11:09 PM
I believe..............

mcan
03-02-2003, 11:25 PM

I heard another story about a school bus full of kids that got stuck on railroad tracks some where in Louisianna (I think that's the right state) and a train came along and killed them all. Legend has it that if you put powder or dust on the back of your car and park on the tracks in that same place you can get out and see hand prints where the kids where trying to push the car off the tracks. The girl who told us that said she'd seen it herself, but I still have a hard time buying it. Creepy none the less.

This story was on Sightings back when I was in junior high. I didn't see it, but my friend told me about the story. I'm sure that I can find a web page about it though.

Quick internet search... Here's the spot.
Traintrack ghosts (http://www.chrisduartegroupfans.org/Ghosts.html)

mcan
03-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Here's a photo of the tracks. Wait, what is that mysterious figure?

http://paranormal.about.com/library/graphics/track_ghost1.jpg

Maybe adjust the brightness a bit... A little girl? She's transparent!

http://paranormal.about.com/library/graphics/track_ghost25.jpg

Blow this one up. See the reflection of the track lights on her head? What is that in front of her? Another ghost?

http://paranormal.about.com/library/graphics/track_ghost4.jpg

Gaz
03-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Ghosts are in the same bin with extraterrestrial buttprobers.

I will believe it when I see it.

Color me agnostic.

xoxo~
Gaz
Unbeleiver.

Ebolapox
03-03-2003, 06:57 AM
I know that I'm definately not certain... I used to live in a very old victorian house in springfield, and there were times when I was alone, and I felt a presence of sorts... like something was there that I couldn't see... maybe it was just a friend playing a prank on me, or maybe something else... I don't disbelieve, but I don't believe either... it does seem at times that there are obviously things that we can't explain... so, until it's proven to me, I don't have an opinion

-EBOLA-

bloomer88
03-03-2003, 01:44 PM
I've got a few stories.

Ok Brad, Me thinks you have some more stories to add about this house along with the one you told a few pages back. My question about the one that you did tell us is, what did your girlfriend have to say about it the next day? Did you even talk about it? It could of been a dream, which would explain your reaction of being like ok and turning over and going back to sleep, but I would be curious to find out if she remembered it, and if she did see what you saw, why she was so calm and told you what she did. Care to elaborate on the "But after the 1,000th time, or too many coincidences" part? Personally, I am somewhat of a believer and somewhat of a skeptic. I have never seen a ghost to honestly believe in them, but I am constantly ghost hunting in hopes of seeing one. I guess I want to believe! Any ways, it sounds like your house and relatives houses have quite a bit of history. I found your story quite spooky and was wondering if you would care to tell more stories about the house? I love this kind of stuff.

angel
10-29-2004, 11:53 AM
just thought I'd bring this back up in honor of the upcoming weekend

I remember liking some of the stories in here

Rain Man
10-29-2004, 11:55 AM
AH! AHHHH! IT'S A GHOST THREAD, RISEN FROM THE DEAD! RUNNNNNNN!

Kclee
03-29-2007, 08:58 AM
I did a search for the 'lost' thread and happened to see this one. Pretty interesting. Anyone have any new stories?

Redrum_69
03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
I could have sworn this thread died long ago...and now its come back to haunt us

Baconeater
03-29-2007, 09:24 AM
There was some strange stuff going on in my house when we first moved in. The former owner had lived here for about 30 years and he died in the house.

The most notable things to happen were:

The Mrs. swore that the door to the spare bedroom closed on its own once. Shortly after that, an 8' flourescent light fixture came crashing down on one of our cars in the garage at 4 in the morning, although I'm sure it was just improperly installed but the timing of it was weird.

My dog absolutely refused to go in the basement for a long time, also one of my friends crashed on the couch in the basement once and didn't sleep well because he felt like someone was watching him and said he'd never sleep down there again (not that I care).

The creepiest thing that ever occured to me was one day when I came home for lunch, I was at my desk in the basement and I heard the floorboards creaking upstairs like someone was walking around but I was the only one home. Nothing has happened for quite a few years now, but we do believe the old guy's spirit was still hanging around for a while.

Redrum_69
03-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I think if all the Jayhawks fans would get together and use a Ouaji board to summon Wilt Chamberlains spirit, they may have a shot at getting past UCLA....

crazycoffey
03-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I've had some ghost run - ins. Now in our new house, I swear there is one bugging me to check a certain area of the house, like that is where her body is. Mosty in dreams, but I think I see her in the closet by the attic entrance. I only think about it at night so my general answer is "tomorrow when it's light out".

tiptap
03-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Sure, first the Ghost Tale.

I was a graduate student in Norman, OK living in a house with other students. It was a small house that we were remodeling for our rent. I was trying to sleep down stairs on a cold February night when the wind started blowing. But it was as if the wind was focused on the front door. It seemed like it and it alone was under the force of the wind. It rattled and struggled to open and it was if someone wanted in from the outside. But I said something but of course no response. I had this gnawing feeling that still it was someone. Things settled down and I fell asleep. The next day my Dad called to tell me that my deaf/mute Grandfather had died during the night.

Mile High Mania
03-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I believe that we've seen enough movies and read plenty of scary tales to make us *think* that the things we hear or think that we see are ghosts.

My family used to own an old home that was built in the 1860s... it was put on the historical register back in the 1970s and my grandmother used to give tours of the home. My family sold the house in the 1990s to a couple that turned it into a B&B.

During the time that we had it and since it has become a B&B, there have been all sorts of comments about seeing faces in windows. Reports of hearing or seeing a flash of someone dressed in 1880 clothing leaving a room.

I personally think it's all bunk. You hear enough reports and stories about ghosts haunting old houses like this and then anything you see or hear that is "odd" to you... well, the easiest explanation has to be a ghost.

My wife and I are actually going to stay there in the fall one weekend. She likes B&B's and I think it would be cool to stay in my old family home. And, if great grandpa Elmer and my great aunt Sara would like to stop by and say hello... come on by.

Redrum_69
03-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Um...if he had died and was struggling with front door, dont you think he would have just went through the wall like other ghosts?

crazycoffey
03-29-2007, 09:46 AM
I believe that we've seen enough movies and read plenty of scary tales to make us *think* that the things we hear or think that we see are ghosts.

My family used to own an old home that was built in the 1860s... it was put on the historical register back in the 1970s and my grandmother used to give tours of the home. My family sold the house in the 1990s to a couple that turned it into a B&B.

During the time that we had it and since it has become a B&B, there have been all sorts of comments about seeing faces in windows. Reports of hearing or seeing a flash of someone dressed in 1880 clothing leaving a room.

I personally think it's all bunk. You hear enough reports and stories about ghosts haunting old houses like this and then anything you see or hear that is "odd" to you... well, the easiest explanation has to be a ghost.

My wife and I are actually going to stay there in the fall one weekend. She likes B&B's and I think it would be cool to stay in my old family home. And, if great grandpa Elmer and my great aunt Sara would like to stop by and say hello... come on by.

That's it, I'm haunting you when I die.......

tiptap
03-29-2007, 09:46 AM
But for the record, the incident was imbued with its providence by finding out about my Grandfather. And I have had other experiences with bizarre weather (tinkling winter evenings hearing the water crystallize in the air around me for example) yet these things carried no emotional attachments because no personal connection happened at those times. As such I want to say I love ghost stories, I use to visit haunted places but I am skeptical of a true physical effect arising from a ephemeral entity.

Redrum_69
03-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Everytime someone is either alone...or in a strange place...all the senses are heightened. YOu'll see things that you normally would just look over, you'll hear things like the tick-tock of the clock...or the settling of the house....you'll see shadows of furniture...and various other things.

Ghosts? No...

Energy from past lives that didnt want to go to hell or heaven? No....

Over the years generations have told their children ghost stories to keep them grounded at night. When I say grounded, I mean keep them in their rooms "dont get out of bed, the bogeyman will get you" "the monster in the closet eats kids, so dont go snooping at night" "the monster under your bed only comes out at night" etc. These pass on from generation to generation, becoming more exaggerated with time. Look at the Tooth Fairy for example.

Its all just a bunch of crap made up to scare people with weak minds.

The only thing that truly exists are guardian angels. THose arent ghosts, theres a big difference.

crazycoffey
03-29-2007, 09:59 AM
not always. I have a story from an old movie theatre in my home town, three of us were scouting around the storage areas and had a few creepy things happend, we all saw the flash of a ghost and the light switch changed a few times (we would turn on the light and a few moments the light went out, we turned the switch to the off position and the lights came back on. Weird stuff, but we weren't by ourselves.

MOhillbilly
03-29-2007, 10:00 AM
yes absolutely.

keg in kc
03-29-2007, 10:01 AM
I love that this:Over the years generations have told their children ghost stories to keep them grounded at night. When I say grounded, I mean keep them in their rooms "dont get out of bed, the bogeyman will get you" "the monster in the closet eats kids, so dont go snooping at night" "the monster under your bed only comes out at night" etc. These pass on from generation to generation, becoming more exaggerated with time. Look at the Tooth Fairy for example.

Its all just a bunch of crap made up to scare people with weak minds.is followed by thisThe only thing that truly exists are guardian angels. THose arent ghosts, theres a big difference.:LOL:

Iowanian
03-29-2007, 10:03 AM
I was pretty convinced by the North and East attic windows I replaced.

I must have channeled chuck Norris, because I yelled and that bastard huffed and puffed and blew the windows out.

BucEyedPea
03-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Yes! I do!
I've encountered one too.

boogblaster
03-29-2007, 11:10 AM
yes they are among us...heard and seen them....

kepp
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I respect that...I also expected that to be the reason as my parents have become very religious and I have watched them refuse to believe anything that can't be explained in the bible.

I'm a Christian and I'm open to the idea. The Bible talks a lot about spirits being around. Most of those mentioned are called "evil" spirits, but I'd be open to believing that there could be "good" ones too. Also, the Bible mentions that, at the moment when Jesus died on the cross, a bunch of dead people were seen walking all around Jerusalem - Matthew 27:50-53, in case anyone wanted to check it out.

Simply Red
01-29-2014, 09:51 PM

Chris616?

GloryDayz
01-29-2014, 09:57 PM
One haunts me, and I'm good with that...

Simply Red
01-29-2014, 09:58 PM
One haunts me, and I'm good with that...

srsly?

Dave Lane
01-29-2014, 10:01 PM
We need chris616 to return. Its been way longer than 3 days.

GloryDayz
01-29-2014, 10:03 PM
srsly?

I chose to see it that way.

Simply Red
01-31-2014, 10:04 PM
I chose to see it that way.

I need you to go on.

GloryDayz
01-31-2014, 10:07 PM
I need you to go on.

Over beers some time.

Simply Red
01-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Over beers some time.

I don't drink - can I hit a six foot bong or something?

GloryDayz
01-31-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't drink - can I hit a six foot bong or something?

Yes, yes you can... :thumb:

Easy 6
01-31-2014, 10:32 PM
While I'm not convinced they're human spirits, yes... I believe some people do sometimes experience/see the other dimensions that mainstream scientists believe exist.

Simply Red
01-31-2014, 11:18 PM
While I'm not convinced they're human spirits, yes... I believe some people do sometimes experience/see the other dimensions that mainstream scientists believe exist.

Scott, I get a really odd thing that happens, I'm pretty sure it's somewhat common/normal.

But right before actually crashing (trying to crash/sleep) - My mind is still barely awake, yet I've started to dream, so I process craziness for a couple of minutes as I drift. Do you ever experience the similar?

Simply Red
01-31-2014, 11:20 PM
Scott, I get a really odd thing that happens, I'm pretty sure it's somewhat common/normal.

But right before actually crashing (trying to crash/sleep) - My mind is still barely awake, yet I've started to dream, so I process craziness for a couple of minutes as I drift. Do you ever experience the similar?

craziness is too harsh - perhaps 'nonsense' would had been better.

J Diddy
01-31-2014, 11:24 PM
How the fuck is it that my son was born in 7-25-02 and that thread doesn't exist but some fucking thread by some 18 post doucher that was 3 months prior is here.

This is fucking bullshit and I'm fucking mad and shit. Motherfucker fucking fucks.

Simply Red
01-31-2014, 11:29 PM
How the **** is it that my son was born in 7-25-02 and that thread doesn't exist but some ****ing thread by some 18 post doucher that was 3 months prior is here.

This is ****ing bullshit and I'm ****ing mad and shit. Mother****er ****ing ****s.

I always fuck everything up - I'm sorry bro, I'm off.

J Diddy
01-31-2014, 11:30 PM
I always **** everything up - I'm sorry bro, I'm off.

LMAO

I took his green bud and now balance is restored to the force.

Easy 6
01-31-2014, 11:35 PM

That netherworld between consciousness and sleep is where some really true thought can occur.

If something jumps out at you during that time, pay it special mind.

Simply Red
01-31-2014, 11:36 PM
LMAO

I took his green bud and now balance is restored to the force.

I negged him also.

Simply Red
01-31-2014, 11:37 PM
That netherworld between consciousness and sleep is where some really true thought can occur.

If something jumps out at you during that time, pay it special mind.

dude it never makes sense, much like a dream, I'll try to work on it tonight.

Simply Red
01-31-2014, 11:39 PM
honestly it totally creeps me out - but I still am able to crash pretty quickly.

Valiant
02-01-2014, 12:43 AM
honestly it totally creeps me out - but I still am able to crash pretty quickly.

can you control it?

Simply Red
02-01-2014, 12:53 AM
can you control it?

I've never tried, I'd imagine that's how you could program your dreams, if you could figure that out. Many of the cerebral gifted can actual do that.

A Psych teacher in High School - Mr. Daley claimed he could program his dreams.

Pablo
02-01-2014, 01:44 AM
Do you believe in life after love?

Pablo
02-01-2014, 01:47 AM
As for the OP; nah. I also don't need a night light when I go to sleep.

Have a good buddy that recants his close encounters from time to time; but he's pretty animated to say the least.

Valiant
02-01-2014, 03:25 AM
I've never tried, I'd imagine that's how you could program your dreams, if you could figure that out. Many of the cerebral gifted can actual do that.

A Psych teacher in High School - Mr. Daley claimed he could program his dreams.

i forget what phase it is, but you can control. Something like your last rem before waking up. I have had some crazy shit.

It is also where I run through scenarios.

Simply Red
02-01-2014, 07:51 AM
i forget what phase it is, but you can control. Something like your last rem before waking up. I have had some crazy shit.

It is also where I run through scenarios.

I've shared this on here before, but when I drank on the days that I was hungover, afterward; I'd analyze everything and dissect each thought as they came. It was a living hell and a big contributor to why I quit drinking forever.

It's similar but not as taxing and I believe the drinking thing was more of a mania.

I go through scenarios and measurements when I'm almost asleep. Sometimes, I'm just awake enough to question why I just thought those/these things. Sounds very much like what you're describing.