PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you saw "defensive holding" called on a run?

AustinChief
09-24-2000, 10:25 PM
Bob Dole like to got thrown out of the bar on the defensive holding call (late) against Chet on the first Denver drive of the second half. Last Bob Dole knew, a defenswive tackle was allowed to use his hands against an offensive lineman.

There was no sound, so Bob Dole couldn't hear the lame explanation offered. Anyone have a clue?

spe725
09-24-2000, 10:30 PM
I think they felt that the Dline man held the Bronco Olineman in order to keep him from pulling and accomplishing his assignment. That's my best guess. <P>

AustinChief
09-24-2000, 10:32 PM
And why would that not be legal? The DLine is supposed to let the OLine do whatever they want?

Chieficus
09-24-2000, 10:44 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw that called. Mile High must be Linemen Bizarro World: no-calls when Schlereth divebombs the backs of our guys' knees and holding calls on our D-lineman fighting off blocks?

AustinChief
09-24-2000, 10:56 PM
And no call on Davis' first long run when the guy has Hasty's jersey twisted halway around his head holding him so he can't tackle Davis downfield.

Seriously--Bob Dole went ballistic on the Chet holding penalty, and thought it was strange that the flag didn't seem to appear until after the fumble...

Bob Dole has NEVER seen defensive holding called on a defensive tackle against an offensive lineman. Ever. And Bob Dole has watched a pretty significant number of football games.

spe725
09-25-2000, 09:29 AM
You guys whine like spoiled adolescent girls after a win, I'd hate to see you after a loss.

While your crying about the Denver Oline and such, try to not to forget the b.s. PI calls that wiped out a Denver interception, and, worse, the one against Jimmy Spencer on 3rd and eight that led to the Gonzales TD.

Crying after a win. It could only happen here.

DoktorSmith
09-25-2000, 09:34 AM
Drew...
Ours were LIGITAMATE calls... that's the difference.

AustinChief
09-25-2000, 09:35 AM
Call it whatever you will, it was simply a commentary on really bizarre call by the officials.

Glad you could find something to criticize after a solid week of spewing bullsh!t and a Sunday afternoon a$$ whoopin.

[This message has been edited by Robert_Dole (edited 09-25-2000).]

Frazod
09-25-2000, 09:38 AM
Maybe Bob Dole needs to lay off of the liquor... that was not an a$$ whoopin. It was a great win and a good win for KC, but it was far from a whoopin. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

spe725
09-25-2000, 09:44 AM
Yeah, that was a serious whoopin' Bob.

As for my spewing B.S., I was the only Bronco fan that didn't have Denver as a sure thing on this board.

I took exception to the idea that K.C. would come in a win by 17 points-- stuffing the ball down Denver's throat, and crushing Denver's running game, and all that ridiculous spew-- and geez, it seems like I was pretty much right. KC hardly dominated any aspect of that game.

Cry a little more for me.

AustinChief
09-25-2000, 09:56 AM
Perhaps you should pay more attention and stop talking out your a$$, since Bob Dole made no comment last week that resembled anything you mention in your post. Aim that flatulence somewhere else.

And your mighty O only managed one TD, in case you missed it.

DoktorSmith
09-25-2000, 10:10 AM
I think Mile High was the only one NOT talking trash. And as far as your high powered offense... I think our D faired pretty damned well against it. So if it comes down to it, your boys couldn't establish the running game against us nearly as well as you did against those other defensive lines.

spe725
09-25-2000, 10:34 AM
Yeah, they did do pretty well against it. Denver came in about 80 short of their overall offensive output yardage wise, and KC played great redzone D.

Offensively, KC got 90% of their offense on three drives. Denver held them to 70 yards on the other seven combined. Why the Denver D has these lapses is a mystery to me. If that's dominant, I'd hate to see you describe a blowout. I do know that two KC scoring drives were aided greatly by questionable PI calls. That's not an excuse, just a fact. Denver still should have found a way to win at home and they certainly shouldn't have let KC march down the field in three minutes to hang the game winner. KC gets all my props for that effort.

If being confident in your team is talking smack, I guess I'm guilty. I think some of you are just a little hypersensitive. I urge you to go back and read my posts and tell me how you'd react if I'm around here predicting Denver dominating KC in every aspect at Arrowhead. I think you'd react the same.

Luzap
09-25-2000, 10:44 AM
Drew: There was only 1 questionable PI call and it was offset by that defensive holding nonsense on Chester.

Both drives were extended, so we'll call it even. There were many non calls of PI, so consider yourself lucky.

I've been nice not re-posting your stuff because you did back down from some of your more shrill rhetoric on Friday. Please, dont ruin it now.

DoktorSmith
09-25-2000, 10:46 AM
Because they weren't lapses... our D is plain and simple BETTER!!! Get over it. We never did predict KC dominating Denver. THe whole time last week you were talking smack. The majority of us said it was going to be a close game. Bottom line, Chiefs are good, Broncos are good, but the Chiefs ARE a better team... DEAL WITH IT!!!

ColoradoChief
09-25-2000, 10:47 AM
Titus - Yeah, I did notice a great (illegal, supposbly automatic PI call) arm bar in the endzone that was not called on one of our drives, so it all worked out.

ansonsdad
09-25-2000, 10:53 AM
Morph - are you ref. the Crockett arm bar on Morris in the endzone? If so, I couldn't believe they missed that one as well, especially with the Referee standing in the corner of the endzone.

spe725
09-25-2000, 10:54 AM
Go ahead and post re-post my stuff. If I got shrill, I got shrill at those saying that K.C. would tear up Denver's 'soft' D on the ground and totally stop Denver's 'unproven' offense. Niether happened.

I would agree that D holding on a run play is pretty laughable, although I've seen it before. I was at the game, so didn't see what they might have been calling. I think that crew did an overall lousy job.

Luzap
09-25-2000, 11:00 AM
FWIW, Drew, overall both teams didnt play up to their potential. We capitalized on Denver miscues late in the game.

9 pts in 7 mintues. Almost Elway-esque wouldnt you say? http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif j/k http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

KCWolfman
09-25-2000, 11:03 AM
A win is a win is a win!!!!!!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

spe725
09-25-2000, 11:11 AM
Yeah, definately. I was sitting there thinking, 'everything is okay-- no way KC goes all the way in with 5:30 left. This is when the ghosts of Mile High take over'. But I didn't believe it myself. Gonzo was tearing the Broncos up and Grbac was on. Plus, when that KC dude caught that third down ball falling down a little earlier, you got the feeling that KC was primed to take over, which they did.

ColoradoChief
09-25-2000, 11:15 AM
Chitown - That would be the one, and then Crocket had the nerve to celebrate, loser.

BroncoFan
09-25-2000, 11:43 AM
It is a win and I will take it. Enough said.

kcmax
09-25-2000, 02:17 PM
I'm in complete agreement with Bob Dole. If that call hadn't been made, however, Alexander wouldn't have gotten to be a hero, IMO.

Chief Henry
09-25-2000, 02:30 PM
I have never seen that call made before. We would have forced another turnover had it not been for the call.

Chief Henry
09-25-2000, 02:32 PM
I've never seen that call made before. It worked against the Chiefs in the worst way because the it nullified the fumble recovery by the Chiefs - gave the Donx the ball at the spot of the fumble and added on an additional 10 yards for holding! Unbelieveble!

JOhn
09-25-2000, 03:13 PM
Drew,

KC would "stop Denver's 'unproven' offense"....

You guys scored ONE TD with your unproven offense. I'd say we stopped you. Remember the 7 Goal to Go plays that failed?

spe725
09-25-2000, 03:18 PM
Phobia:

You could look at that both ways, I suppose. Being a glass is half full type, I'd say that Denver moved the ball pretty dang well against a good KC D, and then got too conservative inside the 10. But the Chiefs deserve a ton of credit for bending but not breaking. Hopefully, Denver will improve their redzone offense as the season progresses.

ColoradoChief
09-25-2000, 03:21 PM
Drew - That is called, bend don't break defense. It might give up some yards, but get tough when you have to. With the youngsters on our D we should expect to see a lot of this.

JOhn
09-25-2000, 03:24 PM
I thought Denver's redzone offense was highly touted. CBS even had a graph prepared for their 100% scoring inside the redzone....

Drew, you've been very complimentary towards our team. I do appreciate it. I suppose we should stop smacking you around now.... or not.

Chiefaholic
09-25-2000, 03:26 PM
Did anyone else hear the TV announcers talk about the cutblocks that the Broncos offense was making? I thought those were suppose to be illegal.

Dan

[This message has been edited by The_Grand_Illusion (edited 09-25-2000).]

spe725
09-25-2000, 03:33 PM
No, that wouldn't be natural to stop smacking a rival fan around.

Cormac
09-25-2000, 04:02 PM
We had that call go against us three times in one game last year (high school) and each time I went beserk!
I always taught my guys to knock a pulling guard down to disrupt a play.... Apparently it is in the rule book someplace that you can't hold an offensive lineman to impede.... Have never seen it called in the NFL though...
The refs made it up to you with that rinky dink Pass Interference call on J Spencer though.

AustinChief
09-25-2000, 04:13 PM
Bob Dole was taught the same thing in high school. Grab him, shake him, slap the side of his head, run his a$$ over or whatever you need to do to disrupt the flow of the play.

Bob Dole kept waiting for the dreaded IS penalty (illegal socks) on the final drive.

G_Man
09-25-2000, 04:18 PM
I was surprised at the near total lack of pre-snap penalties by the offense...Denver's fans must be slipping!!

BroncoFan
09-25-2000, 05:13 PM
Overall, we had less penalties than we have had. I am pleased with most of the play.