PDA

View Full Version : Priorities during the bye week

mikey23545
10-03-2000, 11:29 AM
What needs fixing the most? Run defense? Penalties?

wutamess
10-03-2000, 11:34 AM
I think you just hit on the two biggest problems Chiefnj.

I hope the Chiefs can take advantage of this bye-week now though. I would rather they didn't have it right now though because they have so much momentum. Let's hope Clemons is back also.....

47mack
10-03-2000, 11:34 AM
Sign a kicker now & dump Stoyanovich.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

seclark
10-03-2000, 11:49 AM
Getting Kimble the DAMN ball !!!

Baby Lee
10-03-2000, 11:51 AM
If Clemons comes back, I really feel sorry for OC having to face a team like ours with such a strong DL. That would force the teams to keep a RB or TE's in to block. That in turn would allow the secondary to cover the receivers better.... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
bk

Snapper
10-03-2000, 12:28 PM
I think the biggest *problem*? with the run defense is that they are being so aggressive with the pass rush...which i like. It looks like they are pinning their ears back every play, which is why the DL is overpersueing the run...

I don't even look when Stoygonamiss is kicking...don't even trust Xtra points.

I don't want Nedney either...he misses and a lefty is bound to make the snap/hold tougher.

I'm not sure yet on running back...Every week so far, some have been saying.."TRich and ______ should get all the carries" I've seen Cloud, Moreau, TRich, and now KA promoted for HB....A few days ago, most were saying cut kimble..he's washed up blah blah blah....

we are so fickle sometimes....I'm just glad for the "W" and hope the Chiefs CRUSH the jokeland faiders in 2 weeks.

RAGTOPRAIDER
10-03-2000, 12:39 PM
Iowanian - Glad you pointed out the over-pursuit by the D line. I was screaming myself hoarse every time their RBs blasted past our pass rush.
Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes - How do you fix them? I hope they figure it out, because if we spot the Rams 12 penalties, it'll look like a basketball score. We also found out last night how much the "taunting" microscope is going to be utilized. Thanks, Mr Owens.

Snapper
10-03-2000, 12:44 PM
Durt,

The pass rush is just going to be a double edged sword. I want them to keep blazing away with the front 4, and let the linebackers work in coverage...I just wish the backers and safeties did a little better to stop the run...

I'd alot rather see an opponent rush for 150 yards than pass for 350.

Luzap
10-03-2000, 12:50 PM
Give the players this week off...Gun get some sleep. Come back next Monday and start preparing for Oakland.

RAGTOPRAIDER
10-03-2000, 01:04 PM
Iowanian - I'm also getting the feeling that the linebackers are pulling more double duty than they'd like. Stuff the run and you risk hanging our two rookie D-backs out to dry. We all saw how effective playing off the line was against the Titans in OT. When you have running backs blowing through us like poop through a goose, I'm sorry, you gotta run some stunts at some point to give the clydesdales some backup.

Snapper
10-03-2000, 01:14 PM
Durt,

I'm definitely not disagreeing with your point. I cuss louder than anyone when the opponent is ripping off 15yrd runs like a cleptomaniac at a 1st down store....

I am just enjoying seeing the front 4 causing some mayhem.....I think the more experience the rookies get, the less help they'll need and things will fix themselves.

RAGTOPRAIDER
10-03-2000, 01:15 PM
Iowanian- Amen

Chief Henry
10-03-2000, 02:15 PM
How about working in a new/better place kicker??? Stoyo will cost us BIG TIME if given the chance!

TEX
10-03-2000, 03:58 PM
Settle on one LG to get some continuity there for the running game. What is the deal with Drayton/Dunn? I heard that Drayton was having trouble with his knee last night.

LD for KC
10-03-2000, 09:55 PM
I would like to see Elvis and Sly put in sme extra time to work on their timing. Sly has already shown that he can be a weapon, and if the two of them can get their timing down, the passing game will get that much better.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

[b]The SitCom must die!!</B>

One Arrowhead Dave
10-04-2000, 06:42 AM
1. Penalties. #1 with a bullet.
2. Disband the Committee. I no longer CARE if it is Moreau or Anders or Cloud. Just pick one guy to play HB and stick with him.
3. Stoyo. I donít know what we can DO, but it is looking like he needs a fork in him.
4. More diversity in the running game. I am fairly satisfied with Rayeís play calling in the passing game [yes, Hell has frozen over], but we still need some more creativity in where we run the ball. There is a middle ground between Grunhardís cheek and a pitch sweep.

I am not quite as concerned about the run Defense. As KC Jones pointed out, it is a trade off between an aggressive attack on the QB [crush him, CRUSH HIM!] and the enemy HB slipping past our pursuit. I will take the occasional over-pursuit and leave the HB to our LBs in exchange for creating chaos in the backfield. Our secondary is loaded with rookies and we must bring the hammer to the enemy QB and disrupt their passing game before it gets started.

xoxo~
gaz
countiní down the hits.<BR>

Yosef_Malkovitch
10-04-2000, 07:13 AM
Gaz:

By any chance do you have any bloodlines back to Patton(Gen. George, not Marcvus)?
Or Rommel? Or MacArthur?

Your "crush, kill, destroy" thought process seems a little like our plan of attack by our Armed Forces...

mmaddog
not sure he could follow a pony-tailed, earring-wearing, SQUABME/Engineer/General into battle though.

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"

One Arrowhead Dave
10-04-2000, 07:57 AM
mmaddog-

No problem. I would lead from the rear.

xoxo~
gaz
leading with his chin on this one.<BR>

One Arrowhead Dave
10-04-2000, 08:09 AM
I am an old Defensive Homer. I prefer that my D take the battle to the enemy, rather than passively react to what he does. How can you sow fear without attacking? One of my fondest football memories is watching Jeff George fall apart under a sustained QB-crushing administered by DT and his fellow savages.

I LOVE watching QB-crushing.

In addition, the NFL rules and referees [ritual curses upon their pointy little heads] have almost killed bump and run pass coverage. You cannot cover a WR man on man anymore without drawing the dreaded hanky. Some players [Oscar McCaffrey comes to mind] donít even require contact to draw a flag. They just have to flop on the ground and point at the CB.

The only way to defend against the pass in the modern NFL is to stop it before it starts. Disrupt the timing of the receivers [you get 5 yards to mug the crap out of them. Use it] and crush the QB. Hit him every play. Rough him up a bit and see if he gets happy feet. Do it with your front four, as we have done, and that leaves your LBs free to roam No Manís Land, smashing any HB or TE foolish enough to carry the ball into the killing fields. Blitz when you want to, just to see the delicious fear in the pencil neck QBís eyes.

Patton had the right idea. Hit Ďem hard, hit Ďem fast and kick their *** .

xoxo~
gaz
letting his Inner DE rant a bit.<BR>

Warrior5
10-04-2000, 08:21 AM
I think it will be best served as Gunther wants, rest, keep your feet up, etc. We have a long 11 weeks remaining. Time to heal for Clemons, and dare I say, Donnell, can't hurt us. When we return, penalties need to be addressed. But, one of the reasons for the penalties, is the same addressed earlier, agressiveness of the pass rush. I have witnessed a lot of football in my time, but have never seen a sack like Glock put on Kitna. Hell, even I thought, he must have been offside. We need that awesome rush to remain, a five yarder here and there can't hurt. We should also, be aware of down and distance, and back off on 3rd and less than 5. Stoyo will be here for the remainder of the year, like it or not, what amazes me, we did not bring any competition in, in training camp.

DoktorSmith
10-04-2000, 08:27 AM
As far as that sack that Glock had... HE GOT LUCKY. I really think he just happened to cross the LOS right as thr ball was being snapped. It might not have been offsides, but there is really no way to be able to predict when that ball is going to be snapped... unless your psycic. He moved way before Seattles front line did.

kcred
10-04-2000, 08:30 AM
#1 Priority(IMO): Tackling Drills! We have been weak fundamentally - this must change! We cannot afford to be surrendering 4+ y/p/c because of arm-tackling!

#2 - New kicker (preferably one that has the leg to kickoff as well)

#3 - Find a RB & stick with him. We have no rythmn in the running game - IMO, this is due to the fact that we are constantly rotating backs with completely different styles. The opposing D is NOT confused by this! They stck the line & run-blitz -- holding us to a paltry 2.6 y/p/c. When the winter winds whip up, we're going to need much better than that!

#4 - Analyse game film. Realize the PASSING GAME is what won our last three contests. Continue to gameplan using the passing game to set up the running game. DO NOT revert to 1950's style offense. In other words, coaches: be smart!

One Arrowhead Dave
10-04-2000, 08:30 AM
kcred-

I agree with all your points.

The occasional [though I must stress OCCASIONAL] off-sides penalty is an acceptable price to pay for a crushed QB. I would not be less aggressive as far as Defensive calls [stunts, blitz, so forth] on 3rd & 5 or less, but I would emphasize to my DL that off-sides yields a first down.

McGlocktonís sack was awesome. Williams made a similar sack in the San Diego game, if memory serves.

xoxo~
gaz
wants Clemons back after the bye.<BR>

Warrior5
10-04-2000, 08:56 AM
Yes he did Gaz, (Williams I mean), but I still thought he might have been a half a step behind Glock. And I agree, it was lucky, but hell, now and then everyone gets lucky, even me.

Yosef_Malkovitch
10-04-2000, 09:52 AM
HC Chief:

Re: #1

I like my idea from a couple of weeks back. Marcvus Patton is the best tackler the Chiefs have and should be used as the example. We should let him teach in a tackling drill using the person on the defense who did the poorest job of tackling as the "tackling dummy".

This drill should continue every week until such a time as the whole team can tackle as well as Patton. Each week the "tackling dummy" would change I bet!!!

I would bet within a short time that all of our tackling woes would go away.

mmaddog
"CKD" should be our new defensive motto

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"