PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay cuts DT Brad Culpepper

kcred
08-22-2000, 12:47 AM
Tampa let him go due to salary cap reasons and because they want last years #1 pick, Anthony McFarland to start.
I like Culpepper and am curious to see where he lands. I'm shocked they would cut a starter that has performed so well especially at a position so vital to their defense. He's a high energy guy that is going to be a heck of a pick up for someone. I would love to see him in a Raider uniform even though DT is not a need position.

------------------

Kiss My A_s_s I'm A Raiders Fan !!

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 12:50 AM
Pineapple, I'm totally shocked that Tampa would let him go! He always plays so hard and seemed to have a great working relationship with Warren Sapp ("Would Howie Long missed a play for that"). I just watched the Bucs play and I thought he played really well. Man, I wish KC could ditch Dan Williams and get Culpepper. I know there is no way but Williams may have the talent but Culpepper plays with heart.

shakesthecat
08-22-2000, 06:49 AM
He will land somewhere in the next week. Don't think it will be in KC, though, surely we would hear his named called more than Williams. Did you see where Gun said of Williams sore knees, "It seems his knees are sore every Monday morning".

Dr. Red
08-22-2000, 07:26 AM
Kcred - I have a feeling that the $4mm+ that we spent to keep DW will be some of the worst money ever spent on a Chiefs player since........Carlton Gray????? Holy cow, seems we have a history of doing this sort of thing. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

Warrior5
08-22-2000, 07:43 AM
Williams is the biggest waste of money IMO also. Can you imagine Culpepper with Chet in the middle. That combo would have to work. It would allow for fewer blitzes, more LBs staying at home or dropping into coverage. That would be nice for our young/old secondary.

Dr. Red
08-22-2000, 07:53 AM
Cormac - my biggest problem with Williams is that he's slow. I'm sure he has a lot of talent http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif, but this guy misses a lot of plays that should be common for a Tackle. I throw-up everytime I see him in the line-up. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

DaKCMan AP
08-22-2000, 08:01 AM
chitown - I had really hoped that Martin would pressure Williams for his starting spot, but that doesn't appear to have happened.

Warrior5
08-22-2000, 08:10 AM
ChiTown,

Couldn't agree more. It's kind of disappointing when Gun says he's too slow to go around the tackles, so he has to be moved inside.
The only thing more annoying than seeing him in the line-up is seeing him earn $4m/year to ride the bench with "sore knees".

Morph, I haven't heard mention of Steve Martin since mini-camp. I guess he's not exactly lighting it up. I wonder if that's why Browning was moved inside. Another guy who has dropped off the face of the earth is Mark Word.

DaKCMan AP
08-22-2000, 08:13 AM
Cormac - We have not heard much about the DL lately. You would think that any tackle could succeed next to Chester when he is getting double teamed almost every play. Your right about Martin and Word, not much about either of them. I think Word was a long shot that Gun liked, he just wasn't able to take it to the next level.

Dr. Red
08-22-2000, 08:20 AM
I like our DE's with Clemons and Hicks, but we are vulnerable at DT. It's evident when you watch the preseason games with the first unit, that they are not getting the penetration. I keep waiting for one of the young guns to step up, but it doesn't appear they have the ammunition for this league.

I guess, finding a Hicks in a haystack isn't as easy as it would appear.

redbrian
08-22-2000, 08:21 AM
IMO Glock and DW are both monumental wastes of cap dollars.

$60 million between the two?!

DaKCMan AP
08-22-2000, 08:23 AM
Clint - Is that their original money, or their updated contracts where they both gave up money to get us under the cap?

Warrior5
08-22-2000, 08:36 AM
Morph,

Word could get cut IMO. It's disappointing he hasn't turned out to be the pass-rusher Gun was suggesting he was.
Like you said, you would think anyone next to Chester would be able to find a gap. The first things I had heard about Martin were really good, now nothing.

ChiTown,

I couldn't see the last game. But Browning had 2 sacks. Were they from a DT position? Can he get that kind of penetration on a regular basis do you think?

Dr. Red
08-22-2000, 08:41 AM
Cormac - I can't remember if Browning was lining up at DE or DT, I want to say DE. I think Browning has the speed to get the penetration, I just don't know if he's got the ability to be an everydown player. I know the coaches were very high on him at one point last season, but I can't pass judgement on him yet. I'd like to see him work with the first unit of Friday against TBay to get a better look. Don't know if that will happen though.

Warrior5
08-22-2000, 08:44 AM
It's sad to have to depend on him, as injury prone as he is, but he might be just what we need. Here's hoping he stays healthy. I know Gun was moving him inside in TC, I just didn't know if he played there on Saturday. Thanks.

Joe Seahawk
08-22-2000, 08:54 AM
i wish we could get someone great to play next to chester. just imagine what he could do without being double teamed on almost every play. i like the play in the last game where he took on the whole right side of the ol on a running play.

shakesthecat
08-22-2000, 08:59 AM
I heard Ransom's name called a couple times Saturday night, but overall we are weak at Williams spot. I think Glock is doing great at the other tackle, remember they are double teaming him. Also, has anyone else noticed with DT passing, no one is leaving a back in to protect their QB. This is going to hurt us more than the sacks we will lose from him. RIP Derrick, we love you.

ansonsdad
08-22-2000, 09:03 AM
KC RED,
I agree, we really need Edwards to step up to the plate this year.

shakesthecat
08-22-2000, 09:07 AM
Big Daddy, I have been looking for him also, I wonder, if we are in some new defensive schemes, or something, he has made some good plays, but most have tackles on the backs. In fact, I have only seen him blitz, about 5 or 6 times. I could be wrong on that though.

Fat Homer
08-22-2000, 09:25 AM
It's times like these that I wish I had mind-control over Carl Peterson! Dan Williams would be one cut S.O.B.!

hey jq - you need to put your boy CFIA in check on our 'playground' BB. He's making you guys look bad. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
[i]This space for rent!</I>

DoubleWannaB
08-22-2000, 12:00 PM
The word down here is that Culpepper was cut so that Booger McFarland could start at DT. The Bucs have a lot of time and energy invested in McFarland and feel that Culpepper was impeding McFarland's learning curve. Culpepper is/was a very popular player and well-liked by fans and the Organzation. They offered to let him stay but with the understanding that by Game 6 or so, he would no longer be starting. Naturally, he was not enthusiastic.

I like Culpepper--He's a great tackle who can still get the job done and as someone mentioned before, he would look very nice next to Chet on the line. I know we have bigger needs but I still wouldn't mind if KC makes a play to get him.

Dr. Red
08-22-2000, 12:05 PM
Can someone give me Culpepper's age?
What type of cap hit do we have if we release D. Williams???

Warrior5
08-22-2000, 12:07 PM
There might be a little cap room available to make a run at him? I just doubt it would be enough, and that he would be a real priority given that we are stocked with personnel on the D-line. The way I look at it is we are going to get as far this season as our secondary will take us. Defending 3rd and long will have me more on the edge of my seat than a 45 yd Stoyo FG attempt (if such a thing exists anymore http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif). If we got Culpepper, we wouldn't probably have to blitz so much on obvious passing downs. It could make a big difference, but I am probably only dreaming.

Dr. Red
08-22-2000, 12:13 PM
Cormac - the only way to take pressure off a weak secondary is to get pressure on the QB. Culpepper could upgrade that DL and get the needed QB pressures, especially if we cut D. Williams.

Warrior5
08-22-2000, 01:25 PM
ChiTown,

That's kind of what I was trying to say. That with Culpepper, we could get more pressure on the QB without blitzing, leaving the LBs and DBs at home. I'd be amazed to see this happen though.

[This message has been edited by Cormac (edited 08-22-2000).]

Mike
08-22-2000, 01:37 PM
ChiTown - Culpepper's 31, I believe, and has 9 years of experience. He's the same age as Williams, but with two more years of experience. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing us cut Williams and sign Culpepper. Everyone was speculating as to what we were creating cap space for (free agent signing?), I think it would be a good idea to use it to absorb an accelerated cap hit (spread over this year and next year, since we're past June 1st) on some of our big money/little production players (ie. Dan Williams). I'd take a 100% effort guy like Culpepper (who's also shown the ability to get 8.5 and 9 sack years) over an often injured, over-paid Dan Williams-type player.

Stats of each player last year:

Culpepper: 54tkl, 6sks
Williams: 28tkl, 5sks

kcred
08-22-2000, 01:56 PM
Culpepper's biggest contribution to the Chiefs may be that he pushes Chester to be the player he should be....
That crock about Chester being double teamed and getting QB pressures is an excuse.... Every halfway decent DT sees double teams because the O lineman have inside out responsibilities...
Culpepper was one who would get in Sapps face when he felt Sapp wasn't playing like he should.... maybe it's time someone got up in Chesters face....just my opinion...

Mike
08-22-2000, 02:04 PM
I agree, jq. It's not like Sapp was never double or triple teamed.

Coogs
08-22-2000, 02:31 PM
From what I can gather, may be outdated if there was a contract rework I don't know about, Dan Williams contract runs through 2005(ouch!). Current season base salary is 500K, bonus hit of 933K.

So, cutting him now means 933K hit in 2000, 4x that next year? Is that right?

Holy **** that would HURT!!

Surely I didn't get that right...

------------------
[b]ct</B>

Coogs
08-22-2000, 02:32 PM
Hey BBA!! What's with the bleep, man?

------------------
[b]ct</B>

Coogs
08-22-2000, 02:34 PM
TA DA!!!

Sorry..I had to do it. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
[b]ct</B>

DaKCMan AP
08-22-2000, 02:36 PM
jq - I was wondering when someone was gonig to bring up the fact that he played next to Sapp, it can't be all that hard to look pretty good playing next to him. Their D used more stunts then we did, it looks like we are starting to do that this year.

Mike
08-22-2000, 02:47 PM
If his contract runs through 2005, that means he has his bonus spread over 6 seasons (counting this one) right? If so, I believe the accelerated cap hit would be huge. Minus his base salary, if I'm doing this correctly, we'd take a 2.2 million cap hit, and next year something similar, depending on his base salary for that year. It might still save us, however, in the long run.

Mike
08-22-2000, 02:49 PM
Morphius - Shouldn't DW look good next to Chester? I know Chester's no Sapp (some might argue, but he's definitely not), but you'd think with everyone talking about how many men it took to block McGlockton that DW would have benefitted more.

Coogs
08-22-2000, 02:51 PM
GMan,

How do they calculate the acceleration?
I thought the current year is all that counted current year, everything else counting against next year's cap. That would be $3.7Million!!

I REALLY hope that ain't right!

------------------
[b]ct</B>

Mike
08-22-2000, 02:54 PM
I beleive if someone is cut, their entire signing bonus is accelarated to the year they are cut. However, if it's done after June 1st, it's spread out over the year of the cut, and the following year.

[This message has been edited by G_Man (edited 08-22-2000).]

DaKCMan AP
08-22-2000, 02:55 PM
Gman - Yes we should have heard more about DW, appearntly he has not stepped up top to the plate. I'm not saying that Culpepper would be a bad move, it is a shame we can't afford to dump DW the way he has underachieved so far.

Mike
08-22-2000, 02:56 PM
I'm liking this editing feature. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mike
08-22-2000, 03:47 PM
According to kffl, the Bears are showing some interest in Culpepper. I think we're definitely outgunned in the scenario that we should go after him.

HankStram
08-22-2000, 06:02 PM
As I live in Tampa and have no choice but to see some of the Bucs players in the media, I can say that I would welcome Brad into the KC fold with open arms. He IS a quality DT and we could always use the depth.

HankStram
08-22-2000, 06:05 PM
BTW, the entire city here is TOTALLY bummed out by his being cut. The Bucs fans LOVED this guy.

ddpatterson
08-22-2000, 08:54 PM
Culpepper would look good in Red'n'Gold. Like someone else said, I'd rather have a hard worker with less talent. I think the guy would really improve our line. How much cap room coud the Chiefs make by cutting the likes of Dishman, Gray and Shehee?

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

Clint in Wichita
08-22-2000, 08:57 PM
Seahawks will snatch him.....I hope http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

One thing that concerns me though...Why would T.B. cut him?

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 08:58 PM
nfltalk.com is reporting that Culpepper signed with the Bears. It's amazing how players often stay in there own division...

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 09:02 PM
Joe, Tampa cut him because they felt he was impeding the development of McFarland who they really want to become the starter of the future next to Sapp. Sound familiar?

AZ

Mike
08-22-2000, 09:12 PM
Joe - It was also reportedly to do with his cap #, I believe. According to nfltalk, his contract with the Bears is for veteran minimum plus incentives. What a deal.

ddpatterson
08-22-2000, 09:37 PM
Well, they say that Ransom has really improved, and he has looked better to me. Maybe he can step it up for the Chiefs. Or Browning, if he can stay healthy. I now have serious doubts about Williams.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up

[This message has been edited by milkman (edited 08-22-2000).]

WarPaint
08-22-2000, 09:39 PM
For minimum and incentives the Chiefs should have made a move for him. Oh well...

HankStram
08-22-2000, 09:41 PM
GMAN, Is that ALL he signed for? GEEZ! We could have topped that deal and gotten a good DT cheap.

------------------
Some days you eat the Bear...some days the Bear eats you....

Dr. Red
08-23-2000, 07:02 AM
The Bears cut Chris Mims yesterday to make room for Culpepper. What a trade-off. Sheesh!<BR>

ddpatterson
08-23-2000, 07:28 AM
Chris Mims early in his carreer showed real promise. How these guys can waste their talent is a sad mystery to me.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>