PDA

View Full Version : 15 "experts" and Marty is the only one predicting KC in the playoffs

htismaqe
08-22-2000, 02:42 PM
...and that's only as a wildcard.

<a href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview00/s/experts.html">So-called experts</a>

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 03:30 PM
Experts feel Broncos and Raiders look good. I have to admit, after watching all the pre season games, chiefs don't LOOK like playoff team. I know it is only pre-season, but pre-season is a great test of systems (the players change, but the system and the expectations stay the same). To me most NFL teams have the talent to compete at the superbowl level, but coaching systems keep most of them from being successfull. KC looks like Broncos looked last pre-season, like they are lost.

DIEHARDCHIEF
08-22-2000, 03:36 PM
As much as it kills me to say to, the Raiders, IMO, are the team to beat in the AFC West. The Broncos don't scare me a bit with their noodle-armed QB and their suspect secondary. Unfortunately, the Chiefs secondary is looking much better.

But, honestly, this division is up for grabs. Like most previews and so-called "experts" have said, anyone can win it.

GO CHIEFS!!!

DIEHARDCHIEF
08-22-2000, 03:36 PM
whoops . . . should say "to say so" not "to say to" . . . . . sorry

htismaqe
08-22-2000, 03:38 PM
You can edit your original, TBT.

redshirt32
08-22-2000, 03:42 PM
BroncoFan:

The Raiders will find a way to fall apart late in the season(I am sure Andre will help assure that). As for the Broncs, you still have too many what-if's to puff a chest out.

If I was FORCED to bet right now I might take the Broncs to win it only because any team with TD has a chance(as long as he can recover from that injury). Off-field distractions are something that could bite you in the haunches too.

mmaddog

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"

DIEHARDCHIEF
08-22-2000, 03:43 PM
Dole: Thanks for the heads-up, Senator.

(still hasn't totally grasped the new BB)

Dr. Red
08-22-2000, 03:48 PM
Raiders are not the team to beat. Last I saw, the Raiduhs were still run by Al Davis. Nuf' said! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 05:02 PM
I think the Raida's look like the toughest team in the AFC West right now. I saw the SD v. Minnesota game in SD and despite the score SD looked awful. They looked much bett the following week when Leaf got hot. I've only heard the Chief games ( http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif ) but it sounds like the D is giving up big plays and the offense isn't getting any. It also sounds like we're having trouble punchin' the ball in from the Gold Zone. Let's wait a few weeks and let things fall out. I think a 1-1 start would be really good considering the level of competition.

------------------
Remember Kansas City's hero, Joe Delaney #37.

FloridaChief
08-22-2000, 05:41 PM
Kiss of Death from Marty?

Not sure what to make of that one, but it does look to me as if the AFC West is up for grabs, lets hope the Chiefs can get off to a fast start, if so, maybe, just maybe, 11-5.

Then Oak, Den, Sea, SD, I hope.

WarPaint A/K/A J. Smitty

[This message has been edited by WarPaint (edited 08-22-2000).]

ColoradoChief
08-22-2000, 07:11 PM
The question becomes "Is Marty being realistic or has his association with the Chiefs clouded his thinking?"

Personally I feel like it might be a little bit of wishful thinking on his part. I believe the AFC in general, and especially the West is going to be really tough this year. We've got an awful schedule and we can't afford to give up too many games early. I'm not saying we will, it's just from looking at our schedule, we could find ourselves in the hole very quickly.<BR>

dnvrCHIEFSfn
08-22-2000, 07:25 PM
Marty's judgement could be somewhat clouded, however he should have a good idea of who has the personnel to win and who doesn't. Ecspecially in the AFC West.

chiefs2034
08-22-2000, 08:35 PM
I think the Chiefs (as stated in other posts, here and on the other BB) are packing an offense that nobody knows about.

Remember the movie "Big Hand for the Little Lady"? Play your cards close to the vest, madam, close to the vest!

Duck Dog
08-22-2000, 08:38 PM
I think the Chiefs will go all the way, however, I am not sure if it is total optimism or just wishful thinking. I tend to think of the glass as half full, and most of the time am disappointed.

Pam http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mi_chief_fan
08-22-2000, 08:39 PM
Tom,
You sir, stated what everyone is hoping. Call it wishful thinking, but we've got two extremes here: either the Chiefs are really weak, or they aren't showing their true hand. I certainly hope the latter is true.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 08:40 PM
Geez, Pam...you must be a positive thinker...I don't think the Chiefs are SB bound...YET...I'm excited because they're apparently building a young nucleus of players. If they can win 9 or 10 this year, they're going to be doing well.

------------------
Parker

[i]It is no coincidence that fascism is often referred to as a "reactionary movement".</I>

Duck Dog
08-22-2000, 09:09 PM
I am not sure why, call it woman's intuition or something (probably way out of wack) but I feel like this is going to be a special year. ??????????????????????

Pam
:!<BR>

Clint in Wichita
08-22-2000, 09:11 PM
Well, The hawks have the misfortune of being picked by Paul Mcguire http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------
"life is good"

Cannibal
08-22-2000, 09:45 PM
Sooner or later the Raiders are going to have to make the playoffs. They just happen to play one of the easiest schedules I've seen in a long time this year, so like I said before, if this team does not make it to the playoffs, Alice Davis needs to be taken out back and shot.

I do think it is important that a guy who actually pays attention to what goes on in KC picks us as a playoff team. Marty was the only one saying we had a shot at winning the divsision last year too. The rest of these guys don't give a **** about the Chiefs, because the Chiefs aren't what you would call, as Jim Harbaugh once put it, a "sexy" team. Basically they see RBBC, smashmouth offense, old corners, no DT, next...

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 10:10 PM
I think that Marty was the only one to choose us last year, too. That sentimental spot is showing.....

Now let's prove him right and have a laugh at the rest.

------------------
Puttin' on my game face!

ddpatterson
08-22-2000, 10:18 PM
I'm not a fan of Marty's, but this one time I hope he's got it figured out.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

ddpatterson
08-22-2000, 10:20 PM
I'd be surprised if a wild card team comes out of the AFC West, cause they'll be beating each other up.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

gh4chiefs
08-23-2000, 12:12 AM
If the Donks manage a winning record within the division they'll be hard to catch. Their schedule looks to be a notch easier than the Raiders'. If any other team is to win the AFC West, we probably have to hold them below 4-4 in the division.

Chiefs and Seahawks probably have to do better than 4-4 in the division because their schedules are pretty stiff. I have no idea what the Dolts will do. I can't figure that team out.

But its in everyone's best interest to Stomp the Donks. Lets get 'em, boys!

Clint in Wichita
08-23-2000, 12:29 AM
AGREED! KILL THE DONKS!

http://pionet.net/~k0brd/ani_gifs/donkey.gif

------------------
"life is good"

Cannibal
08-23-2000, 12:46 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/mm/images/fanfair/wolf1.gif

Donks suck...

Clint in Wichita
08-23-2000, 12:55 AM
Good one wolf!!

------------------
"life is good"

CHIEFSFANTX
08-23-2000, 06:11 AM
The Chiefs will NOT make the playoffs this year. They do have the talent, but IMHO NOT enough to overcome the bad coaching on BOTH ofense and defense. The schedule is tough, but the coaching is much harder to overcome!

AustinChief
08-23-2000, 06:41 AM
ChiefsFanTx - I won't predict whether we make it or not, but your concerns are mine as well.

Warrior5
08-23-2000, 06:49 AM
Steve M (presumably?)

I agree with your post. To get to the playoffs, the Chiefs probably have to win 5 or preferably 6 division games. I can already see the lack of a gameplan costing us both Seattle games (like last year; worst case scenario). I think it's up to the coaching staff to guide the players to the playoffs. The player personnel is there, I am convinced of that. If the Chiefs can make the playoffs with this schedule, I am ready to dish out the credit to the coaching staff.

[This message has been edited by Cormac (edited 08-23-2000).]

AZChief
08-23-2000, 07:06 AM
Donkey's have the 30th easiest schedule out of 31 per Denver Post. This BB moderators could coach it this year to 9-7. Shanahan will do better. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif If the Chiefs O does what Gun has set up: perimeter running/shotgun/multiple formations-5receiversets/Cloud getting 30+ carries a game/Cat starting beginning with Colts game- we could go 10-6 if everything falls into place. The NFL is expecting a good Chiefs defense. The offense must surprise and be dramatically different than last year.

ddpatterson
08-23-2000, 07:20 AM
dnvrChiefsfan,
I agree with most of what you've said, with 2 exceptions. I don't believe that Cloud could hold up for a complete season if he gets 30 carries a game. I'd like to see him get 17-20 carries, with T-Rich getting most of the other carries.
I also question whether the rest of the NFL expects the Chiefs D to be what it once was. It has sprung some serious leaks in the last couple years. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the Willie Shaw hiring is going to help it all that much. I think Gun will become more involved. That would be a big improvement.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

Baby Lee
08-23-2000, 07:32 AM
I hope that Marty knows what he's talking about. I think the problem with KC is that their in the midwest and in a small market media town. Plus they really have no big name players. Thus they don't draw any attention. I like it that way, It makes it easy to sneak up on everyone else.

DoktorSmith
08-23-2000, 07:51 AM
Bob Dole has made regular status...

My expert homer prediciton for the Chiefs is 11 and 5....losses against Titans, Denver, Seattle, NE, Oak(yes Oakland)...

This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

I know I'm a PC idiot but can someone tell me how I can add pictures and stuff...does it have something to do with the UBB?...

------------------
joe
"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." (j. handy)

Luzap
08-23-2000, 07:53 AM
When in the heck are they going to learn? Every stinking year they predict the Raiders and every year they are wrong. Don't they ever get tired of being wrong?

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Dev
~sorry jq...

------------------
IDAHO CHIEF FAN!!!

Warrior5
08-23-2000, 08:50 AM
joe,

I am no expert, but I have learned this much from this page.......

Click Here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/ubbcode.html)

CASHMAN
08-23-2000, 09:21 AM
I still think the AFC West will end up with Oakland and Denver winning playoff spots, while Seattle and KC fight for third place.

gh4chiefs
08-23-2000, 09:49 AM
The AFC West is such a meat-grinder. If we didn't beat each other to a pulp every year we'd have more wildcards. In 99, the division record was almost 4-4 across the board. If that happens this year, I see the Donks at 10 wins or better and the Raiders at 9 wins or better. Chiefs and Seahawks look like 7 or 8 wins to me.

KC and Seattle will have to kick *** in the division with those hefty schedules they face. Those teams can't even afford a split with one another. If one of those teams sweeps the other, they will be in position to challenge the Donks and Raiders for the division crown. The one that gets swept by the other is in a heap of trouble.

I think KC needs to sweep Seattle and the rest of us have to hold the Donks below 4-4 in the division for the Chiefs to advance. The KC-Seattle games will be monsters this year!

------------------
Lick Bush in 2000 !!!