PDA

View Full Version : What we think, and what we know

Dr. Red
08-23-2000, 08:40 AM
We think there is a possibility that our OL can spring a back like Cloud for 1200 yds+. We know Cloud lacks the experience and overall size, and the Chiefs have not committed to one back since the Nightmare.

We think that Elvis can be consistent and spread the ball to our various receivers. We know he is myopic with TG vision.

We think our D can rebound with the loss of DT as our leader. We know that vocal leaders are easy to come by, but leading by example is tough.

We think we have solved our ST's kickoff problems with the addition of Sauerbrun. We know we have ST's problems with Stoyo's leg strength and kickoff/punt coverage.

Unfortunately, in this case, we know more than we think. The reality of this team is that we have a lot of uncertainty with this various positions/players. I haven't even touched the coaches or our defensive backfield, as I think we all know the issues there. This adds up to a potentially very long season for our boys in red and gold. I'm thinking 7-9.

Am I wrong?

CASHMAN
08-23-2000, 08:43 AM
No, I think you've hit the nail on the head.
http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Raiderhader
08-23-2000, 08:45 AM
What I know:

We still have the same OC, DC and ST coach that failed us last year.

Last year we heard about opening the offense if the defense stacked the line only to go back to 1950's football.

Our schedule, on paper is much tougher than last year.

What I think:

Our coaches will do the same things they have done before. Run 3 n outs with a lead, get burned on the blitz.

Our schedule strength vs. our coaching strength will probably put us under 500 this year.<P>

ddpatterson
08-23-2000, 08:46 AM
"Chiefs have not committed to one back since The Nighmare"
Since then, our RB situation has become a SitCom nightmare.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

ddpatterson
08-23-2000, 08:48 AM
Let me add, this is a nightmare that I hope and pray to wake from soon!

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

Dr. Red
08-23-2000, 09:00 AM
Anyone with a differing opinion have a take as to why the Chiefs will finish above .500 and/or make the playoffs?

By the way, I don't have a problem with losing, as long as we are getting our younger guys some experience and building a program for the future. But, if Carl/Gun do nothing more than 7-9/8-8 and have the same old crew in there, that will be most disappointing.

alanm
08-23-2000, 09:30 AM
THE BAD STUFF:
1. Same inept coaches
2. Tough schedule
3. No featured HB
4. Penalties
THE GOOD STUFF:
1. Great OL
2. Great TE
3. Great FB
4. Great LBs
THE QUESTIONABLE STUFF:
1. Pass rush
2. Secondary [see #1]
3. Stated intention to open up the Offense.
4. QBs mental game

Whether the GOOD outweighs the BAD depends entirely on the QUESTIONABLE stuff. The primary question is the pass rush. A strong, QB-crushing rush from the front four solidifies our D. If our D is dominating, our O does not have to be [as it most certainly will not be]. If our D is dominating, we do not have to open up the Offense to succeed, nor does Grbac have to elevate the team with his play.

Within the first couple of games, you will have a very good idea how the season will turn out. If the pencil neck is covered in grass stains, it will be a good year. If not, .500 will be a lofty goal.

xoxo~
gaz
knows he has too many questions.<BR>

Warrior5
08-23-2000, 09:40 AM
Excellent analysis Gaz.

I think the two biggest things are:

The playcalling If the offense is opened up, Gonzo finds himself in mismatches, Grbac finds Gonzo at those times, and receivers at other times.....we will have a potent offense. We lack a go-to RB, but teams are going to have difficulty stacking the line against us when Gonzo is going to demand such double team attention. Cloud going off-tackle is hopefully good enough to carry a strong running attack.

Pass-rush for reasons described elsewhere.

One Arrowhead Dave
08-23-2000, 10:20 AM
One saving grace we have on offense is the passing game. Two things need to happen for this to work, 1)play calling, if you run it every down all the WR's in the world won't help. 2)Grbac, he has a tendency to watch one receiver the whole time, then, go figure, he throws to that receiver. If we can get around these two problems, there is no team that can cover our receivers well enough, and still protect against a run.

Fat Homer
08-23-2000, 10:26 AM
What we absolutely need: Alexander, Lockett and Morris to step up! That means no more dropped passes DA! No more falling down after barely making contact, Kevin! That means getting the separation deep, Sylvester.

If our WRs step up, Grbac won't have to rely on Gonzo for everything. Just think, if we had ONE other receiving threat as dangerous as Tony, our O could be, dare I say, explosive!?

------------------
This space for rent!

[This message has been edited by HC_Chief (edited 08-23-2000).]

redbrian
08-23-2000, 12:34 PM
IMO Morris will be the best WR on this team before the season is over...IF the coaches use him properly (no 5 yard outs), and IF Grbac can bring himself to look Sly's way before Gonzo's every now and then!

redshirt32
08-23-2000, 12:36 PM
IN my case, very little on both accounts! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"