PDA

View Full Version : Any Defensive Backfield Saviors Out There?

milkman
08-22-2000, 07:06 PM
Has anyone heard of any cuts from other teams we could use to shore up our secondary?

Hope we get some help in this area. I'm afraid our Achilles heel is an entire leg.

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-22-2000, 07:08 PM
Just that vet the Jets cut. I've forgotten his name right now. Other than that, I don't see anything.... I'm certain Carl is scanning the wire though. Everyone knows our weakness is in the secondary.

HankStram
08-22-2000, 07:09 PM
Nobody yet frazod. It comes as no surprise, the final cut is where we may find a serviceable player.

milkman
08-22-2000, 07:10 PM
Go, Carl. We need help.

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-22-2000, 07:13 PM
Hmmm, with Washington's CB talent, maybe they'll be forced to release a playa?!? I'd keep my eye on their releasee's.

HankStram
08-22-2000, 07:16 PM
I agree, I hope Wash releases one (then we can BOOT Carlton Grey)

milkman
08-22-2000, 07:23 PM
I just scanned KFFL - certainly no names I ever heard of, including the guy we cut (Wasswa Serwanga?).

I'm wondering how many kinds of a loser this poor SOB had to be to be cut by a team with a secondary as lame as ours. For his sake I hope he got a useful degree in college.

milkman
08-22-2000, 07:24 PM
HEY, I SHOOK THE LURKER!

I'm somebody now!

Mike
08-22-2000, 07:32 PM
The Jets guy, Otis Smith, isn't the kind of DB we're looking for (35, not looking good in preseason). And we can cut Gray anyway as we won't keep more than 5 CBs (Hasty, Dishman, Warfield, Bartee, and Dennis). I'd still be keeping an eye out for a potential replacement for Dishman.

Here's a question: Is our poor pass D due to a.) bad DBs; b.) bad coverage schemes (coaching); or c.) bad play from the rest of the team (pass rush)?

shakesthecat
08-22-2000, 07:35 PM
I heard someone say after Saturdays game, that Dishman was out of position on coverage, so it could be some new schemes we are working on, but that doesn't explain the flat burning that some of our guys have experienced.

DoubleWannaB
08-22-2000, 07:55 PM
What kind of a cap hit would we take if we cut Gray this year? Anybody know offhand...

Mike
08-22-2000, 07:57 PM
FloridaChief - Nothing substantial, he's reduced his salary (a few times, I think). I'd be surprised if he weren't cut.<BR>

DoubleWannaB
08-22-2000, 08:01 PM
G_Man, that is good news to me.

For some reason I was thinking we'd take a bath if Gray got the axe but I wasn't thinking about contract re-negotiations.

As far as I'm concerned, he's gone yesterday...

alanm
08-23-2000, 08:37 AM
If you’re going to play bump & run, you must have a strong pass rush from your front four. The current “pro-O” rules and flag-happy referees demand either a powerful pass rush or a zone D [unless you are willing to accept a flurry of flags]. So far, we have not shown an ability to crush the QB with our front four. That is what makes our secondary look bad.

The burning question is: will we show a pass rush in the regular season?

If so, we will have a fine pass D.
If not, we will watch our CBs get burned time and time again.

xoxo~
gaz
awaiting the answer to that question.<BR>

CASHMAN
08-23-2000, 08:38 AM
I think Denver cut Jeremy Linclon... he's all yours!

Luzap
08-23-2000, 08:46 AM
From KCChiefs.com:

Q: Your cornerbacks the last couple of games haven't been what you wanted them to be. Any concern there ?

CUNNINGHAM: "I'm juggling the roster; that (position) is not set. As I told the players, we're going to find out next week who the starters are for the Indianapolis game. I work on the roster all the time and I try to pressure the players that need to be pressured to step up. I don't think that's what the general fan and some of you understand. I'm going to find who can stand up under the pressure."

It doesn't look like Gun is too happy either. Could we be seeing a rookie start?

Dev

------------------
IDAHO CHIEF FAN!!!

[This message has been edited by Devin Vierth (edited 08-23-2000).]

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-23-2000, 09:02 AM
FWIW, Gray's surprisingly large initial contract was ALL backloaded. He was due a sizeable salary this year (1.5 mill+) but that was renegotiated. I can't imagine him making much more than $500-600k considering $440k is the vet minimum.

ddpatterson
08-23-2000, 09:02 AM
I'd rather see a rookie with potential, and the ability to learn from his mistakes get burned early, than see an aging vet on his last legs, with no hope for improvement get burned. With a rook, there's hope for improvement.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-23-2000, 09:14 AM
I 100% concur with that statement, milkman.

AustinChief
08-23-2000, 11:29 AM
That is EXACTLY my opinion on the subject.

PLAY THE ROOKS!!!

------------------
Parker

[i]It is no coincidence that fascism is often referred to as a "reactionary movement".</I>

Dr. Red
08-23-2000, 11:33 AM
If CP is secure with his position, since it is a foregone conclusion that Lamar has awarded an extension, then what does the braintrust have to lose in playing rookies? Gun would have to support it if it builds capability for the future.

I fail to understand where this team is going if they don''t play their younger guys now.

BIG_DADDY
08-23-2000, 11:38 AM
I doubt Gray will get cut now, it would only be a bitter cap pill for us to swallow this season. After June 1st 2001, we can cut him and spread the remainder of his signing bonus over 2001 and 2002. This is provided I remember the contract appropriately.

Warfield looked pretty good last season, I'd like to see him start over Dish.

shakesthecat
08-23-2000, 11:40 AM
We might just as well play the rooks against Indy, Manning is going to torch our *** anyway. At least they would learn from the best.

htismaqe
08-23-2000, 11:50 AM
Gun wants Warfield to start, but he's not going to just hand him the position.

Luz
the youth movement is on...

redbrian
08-23-2000, 12:29 PM
I'd like to see Dishman and Gray BOTH cut, Warfield as the nickel back, and Bartee thrown into the fire as a starter. I know it's risky, but IMO Dishman is done, and Warfield has progressed about as far as he's going to. Bartee had the best combine of all DBs...let's see if he can do it on the field!

sd4chiefs
08-23-2000, 01:43 PM
I still think Warfield is going to lineup as the starter against Indy and Dish will play nickel. I'd be really surprised if Bartee was able to break in to the lineup so quicly, it's just not KC's style. Warfield may get toasted a few times but i feel his upside is much greater than Dishman's. Bartee may improve and play in nickel situations as the year moves on but he won't be a starter on week 1.

------------------
AZChief

Remember Kansas City's hero, Joe Delaney #37.

AustinChief
08-23-2000, 01:56 PM
I want to see more of Bartee, Dennis, and Wesley. I really like Gunther's ideas about DBs and WRs. Height and speed, natural ability. That's what it's all about. Physical, go up and take the ball out of your hands or knock your head off, corners are what we need.

------------------
Parker

[i]What? You don't like my username? I thought all techies used randomly generated usernames...</I>

milkman
08-23-2000, 06:50 PM
With the exception of Hasty, I'm all for the youth movement in the defensive backfield. Their growing pains may be painful, but if our vets continue to play at the level demonstrated so far, it won't make any difference. Better to work toward a bright future than milk a useless past.

Is anyone else nauseated by the thought of Carlton Gray making $500-600,000 this year? I wish I could get paid half a mil for sucking at my job....