PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we...

kcred
10-15-2000, 04:23 PM
MAKE A F'ING TACKLE?! For gawd's sakes, we have got to be the worst tackling D in the league... for THREE YEARS running.

PLEASE Gunther, teach these guys how to wrap up! They're going for 'the hit' & ignoring the completion of the play. Fundamental football: Run, Hit, Throw, Catch, TACKLE.

IMHO, that is our biggest weakness(followed closely by an inability to run - but that's a different subject for another thread). If our guys would just wrap up & take the man down at the point of contact, our D would be vastly improved.

Buzzbait
10-15-2000, 04:26 PM
I agree it was frustrating watching Wheatley break through and Kaufman run around our defense all day. Some credit must go to those two and their offensive line. I thought we had spend the week off working on it.

I think Kurt S. called a really safe defense in an attempt to protect the young secondary. There was not nearly enough blitzing and/or attacking for my taste.

AZ

25or6to4
10-15-2000, 04:29 PM
HC:

Gunther is more concerned with emotionally charging these guys and giving them positive reinforcement than he is with teaching them and getting in their face once in a while. That's why this team needs a new head coach next season.

Gunther is a solid coach for a veteran team. The Chiefs are about 50/50 right now and next year they will get even younger. He is NOT the right coach for a team with mostly younger players, which is what we will be next season and the seasons after that.

ddpatterson
10-15-2000, 04:36 PM
One guy that DID tackle well for us today was Pat Dennis. He really impressed me.

Buzzbait
10-15-2000, 04:49 PM
Edwards was really good too. 16 unassisted tackles according to nfl.com.

TBT,
I'm surprised to see you don't feel Gun is right for KC. I really like his personel decisions...

AZ

25or6to4
10-15-2000, 05:01 PM
AZ:

Call it a difference in philosophy. If Gunther wants to go back to being Defensive Coordinator after this season, that's fine with me. But, IMO, Gunther is not the right head coach for a young team, which is what we are slowly going towards.

Yes, he has made some decent personnel decisions, but there's more to being a head coach than deciding on personnel.

Personally, I would rather let the GM and Director of Player Personnel make those decisions(which is part of the reason why I think Lamar should say bye bye to Carl after this season) and the head coach needs to concentrate on getting the players prepared to play. The head coach also needs to know how to deal with each player individually.

I realize that many people like Gunther and will probably disagree with me, but that's the way I see it.

[This message has been edited by Tom_Barndts_Twin (edited 10-15-2000).]

25or6to4
10-15-2000, 05:02 PM
Also, a coach needs to be able to make good decisions when the game is on the line. I think that is one of Gunther's biggest weaknesses. He seems to make to many decisions with his emotions at times.

Buzzbait
10-15-2000, 05:12 PM
TBT,

I agree about Gun making too many decisions with his emotions, especially during games. I think one of the reasons I like him so much is I feel he is the only person on the planet that wants the Chiefs to win as bad as I do.

I think is personel decisions have been great. I love the young kids that he's drafted and that he puts them on the field. I've got to credit someone for those picks and from what I've read 2000 was Gun's drafts not Carl's.

Obviously, there are many areas he needs to improve but for some reason I like him a lot.

I hope you don't think I'm attacking your opinion. I just didn't know he wasn't your favorite! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

AZ