PDA

View Full Version : I can't be what I'm not.

Pages : [1] 2

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Some people are jocks. Some people are preps. Some people are sluts. Some people are popular. Some people are all of the above, or a combination of one or more.

Some people are nerds.

I am a nerd.

Nerds don't go to parties. Those other people do.

I'm not those other people. I don't do what they do.

After covering my basketball games (which put the evening at 7pm) I went to the library and got on the computer until it closed at 8. Then I went to a mexican restaurant and ate dinner. It was then 9 pm. I was led to believe the party was starting at 9:30 or 10 pm. I drove over to her house and parked in a nearby lot. I waited. I felt sick. I went to the university center, and looked in the mirror. I looked like a nerd. I went back to the parking lot, ended up circling the house five times and parking again each time.

The last attempt I actually got out of the car. Guys I was so scared my entire body was screaming for me to get back in the car where it was safe. I got in there and left, and tried not to turn my head to look at that apartment building and the people outside it as I passed it.

Two songs played in the car as I began that trip home. Joe Walsh's "Life's been good to me" and AC/DC's "Hell's Bell's." Those are two of my favorite songs, and they are never played on the radio.

Those were my mp3s, calling me home.

I had a good cry on the way home, but I'm here now, where I belong. With you guys, my geforce 4 and no one else.

To thine own self be true. :thumb:

PunkinDrublic
01-18-2003, 10:09 PM
So what happened nobody was at the party or you just couldn't bring yourself to go?

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:10 PM
I could not bring myself to go.

Phobia
01-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Nerds have social lives. Nerds meet women. Nerds go to parties. Nerds get laid.

You need group therapy or something. You won't find THAT here.

I'm sorry you missed the party. Actually, it's still not too late. If a party starts at 9ish, people show up throughout the night unless it is a formal occassion celebrating something.

If it's just an informal party, you can arrive all the way up to 1:00 AM. I think you need to sack up and go. If you have the balls to pour your heart into posts on here every night in front of hundreds of people, you can go to a party with a few of your co-workers and fellow students. You were invited. You can't be as big a nerd as you believe.

When the boss invites you to a party, you go.

Average_Assclown
01-18-2003, 10:13 PM
If you get drunk, and the girl gets drunk, your chances of getting laid increase by about 75%. It's be proven scientifically, or something.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:13 PM
It takes me an hour to drive over there. F*ck that. I already wasted three f*cking hours tonight and have shit to show for it. I could have been playing with my new video card tonight instead.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:14 PM
The worst part of this is I ran into our photographer at the game and I asked her when it started. She then asked me if I was coming and I said "maybe."

Phobia
01-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by gochiefs
I could have been playing with my new video card tonight instead.

Speaking of wasting time.

PunkinDrublic
01-18-2003, 10:15 PM
You're doing this to yourself. Just because you see yourself as a nerd doesn't mean everyone else will. How do you think people would act towards you if you would have went inside?

Phobia
01-18-2003, 10:15 PM
The worst part of this is I ran into our photographer at the game and I asked her when it started. She then asked me if I was coming and I said "maybe."

Well, if you don't show up, you're really screwed. It isn't like you're going to a party where you don't know anybody. Suck it up.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:16 PM
I don't know, but I would have felt extremely out of place and very stupid. I would have ended up bored and left after an agonizing hour of embarrassment.

It's very simple guys. I bet the people at the party never play with geforce 4's either. Someone has to.

DaWolf
01-18-2003, 10:16 PM
http://www.internerd.com/frink.retired/frinkv.1/nerd2.gif
<EMBED SRC="http://math.ucsd.edu/~bbaumer/ftp/simpsons/homer/nerds.wav" AUTOSTART=FALSE LOOP=FALSE WIDTH=145 HEIGHT=55 ALIGN="CENTER">
</EMBED>

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by pHoBiA

Well, if you don't show up, you're really screwed. It isn't like you're going to a party where you don't know anybody. Suck it up.

Why am I screwed?

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by DaWolf
http://www.internerd.com/frink.retired/frinkv.1/nerd2.gif
<EMBED SRC="http://math.ucsd.edu/~bbaumer/ftp/simpsons/homer/nerds.wav" AUTOSTART=FALSE LOOP=FALSE WIDTH=145 HEIGHT=55 ALIGN="CENTER">
</EMBED>

DEAD on.

2bikemike
01-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Dude you gotta lighten up on yourself. I don't know you other than what I read here. But I think you owe it to yourself to come out of your shell. Life will get mighty lonely for you if you don't.

I am not saying you gotta go score on some chick or anything like that. I think you first need to learn how to interact with them. Talk to them. I am not sure of the whole episode here. But I think you were invited to a party by some Girl you are attracted to. Do you have other friends that were going to the party?

Man the guys on here will be ruthless to you. I hope for your sake you have a thick skin.

Phobia
01-18-2003, 10:18 PM
I would have ended up bored and left after an agonizing hour of embarrassment.

That's about 100x better than driving up to the door and hanging out in the car by yourself. Go. Get out of here.

CHIEF4EVER
01-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Holy mackerel dude. Unless you have a humpback or hair on your palms you need to go to this party and GET LAID. Look at it this way.....if "Slick Willie" Clinton can get his cigar smoked, you have to be a shoo in. Cmon dude, grab your nads and go bearded clam hunting.

ROBHONDA <---- Wishes he was a hundred years younger.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Yes I have thick skin don't worry. I'm just stupid.....I thought I could change...why should I change? I am what I am.

It's not like I'm a complete hermit. I enjoy going to the bar for Chiefs games more than anything else, and I know all the guys there. I know how to interact with women, I do it every day at work.

Phobia
Originally posted by 2bikemike
I am not saying you gotta go score on some chick or anything like that. I think you first need to learn how to interact with them. Talk to them. I am not sure of the whole episode here. But I think you were invited to a party by some Girl you are attracted to.

That's EXACTLY what I had hoped would happen. Dude - you aren't going to score tonight, but you ARE going to gain a little confidence in your social capabilities.

PunkinDrublic
What's wrong with going up and saying hi to the people you know and introduce yourself to the people you don't know? Do you think you're the only one that might feel uncomfortable? As long as you don't act beligerant to people and be relatively polite people wouldn't see you as being a nerd.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:21 PM

That's about 100x better than driving up to the door and hanging out in the car by yourself. Go. Get out of here.

No. I am where I should be. Where I have been every night for the past 11 years, for the most part.

BLUEGRASS MOUNTAIN MEDLEY!!! YEEEEEEEEEHAW!

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:22 PM

That's EXACTLY what I had hoped would happen. Dude - you aren't going to score tonight, but you ARE going to gain a little confidence in your social capabilities.

This isn't about scoring. This is about doing what I wanted to do, and I obviously didn't want to go to that party.

Phobia
01-18-2003, 10:23 PM
This isn't about scoring. This is about doing what I wanted to do, and I obviously didn't want to go to that party.

Stop lying to yourself. You WANTED to go. You just pussed out.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:24 PM
I wanted to go until I realized that I shouldn't go. I wasted three hours of my life tonight and I hate myself for it.

2bikemike
01-18-2003, 10:24 PM
You seem so down on yourself that I can't believe this is what you want. If your interact with these people at work you can do it at a party. Just be yourself. Not all guys are suave and smooth. You don't have to be. Get it out of your mind that you have to be something your not. Just be yourself and have fun. The rest will come naturally.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:26 PM
What the f*ck was I supposed to talk with them about? Certainly not work. Sitting around making small talk and drinking beer (which I wouldn't have done) is not my idea of a good time. Nor is dancing.

STAR TREK THEME! WOOOOHOOOO!

PunkinDrublic
01-18-2003, 10:29 PM
gochiefs I live in Plano which is pretty close to Carrollton. If you want next time you get invited to one of these parties I'd be willing to go with you so you don't feel so awkward going by yourself. I could probably get you in a good position to score with this chick you like. I'm a pretty good wingman.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:31 PM
How old are you.

2bikemike
01-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Just strike up a conversation and look for common ground. How do you know that you won't find someone at the party with the same interests. How well do you know these people? You come on this BB and tell us things about this party. Deep down I think you want the interaction with some of these people from the party but are just too shy and afraid to do it. You really seem to beat yourself up over it.

PunkinDrublic
01-18-2003, 10:32 PM
I just turned 26.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by PunkinDrublic
I just turned 26.

You're a little old to be hanging out with college students....wouldn't work.

Phobia
01-18-2003, 10:33 PM
You're a little old to be hanging out with college students....wouldn't work.

Another cop-out.

PunkinDrublic
01-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Not really my friends range from 19 all the way up to 26 and I go to college parties all the time.

DaWolf
01-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by PunkinDrublic
Not really my friends range from 19 all the way up to 26 and I go to college parties all the time.

Another reason why he's been disappointing his parents since 1976.

:D

2bikemike
Really introduce him as your cousin from Dallas. Hell when I was 26 I looked 20 got carded all the way to 30. Now I never get carded:cuss:

theultimatekcchiefsfan
Check out the poll results, pretty damn close to the truth:eek:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/poll.php?s=&action=showresults&pollid=1625

I for one consider myself a nerd. Guess what it doesn't matter.
There are alot of chicks out there who dig nerds. Thet get tired of the prettyboy, muscle bound boys. You can still be a nerd and score!

:p NERDS RULE :p

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Well....we'll see. I'll let you know if I decide to make another attempt.

TopJet2
01-18-2003, 10:38 PM
From one fellow nerd to another.........YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU DONT YOU WILL END UP HATING YOURSELF FOR NOT INTERACTING WITH PEOPLE trust me on this I look back on the days where I too felt sick to my stomach when I met new people and I feel like I wasted most of my High School years being afraid of rejection. I mean do you know how much pooty I missed out on because I didnt get the nads up to go to such parties till my junior year. I kick myself in the ass at least once a week just for that reason. One other thing your not as weird as you think. I would be willing to guess you are overly critical of yourself and you will be the person that judges you the harshest so go have a good time and if they dont like u F##K THEM:thumb:

MeatPeeker
Originally posted by theultimatekcchiefsfan
Check out the poll results, pretty damn close to the truth:eek:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/poll.php?s=&action=showresults&pollid=1625

I for one consider myself a nerd. Guess what it doesn't matter.
There are alot of chicks out there who dig nerds. Thet get tired of the prettyboy, muscle bound boys. You can still be a nerd and score!

:p NERDS RULE :p

Are you really a nerd? Do you own a pair of Boba Fett boots? Did you cry when Spock, Kirk and Data died? Do you own the soundtrack to every Star Trek movie? Do you ready science fiction novels? Do you own seven plastic lightsabers? Do you go to science fiction conventions? Do you have Jabba the Hutt sitting on top of your monitor, flanked by the Fetts?

THAT IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A NERD.

Phobia
Well....we'll see. I'll let you know if I decide to make another attempt.

The next time you have a party to attend, your ID will be disabled during the time you're supposed to be there. We're all trying to help, believe it or not.

PunkinDrublic
01-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Everybody feels uncomfortable in some social situations. If you continue to live in fear you're gonna have a lot of regrets.

MeatPeeker

The next time you have a party to attend, your ID will be disabled during the time you're supposed to be there. We're all trying to help, believe it or not.

I know you are, and I appreciate it. I really tried tonight. I drove past that house intending to leave twice and turned back twice......

KcMizzou
Your problem is you see "them" as the cool people, and don't see yourself that way.

I gave that up when I left highschool, and went to Warrensburg. I was in the so called Honors dorm... and was surrounded by what you might call nerds. It was coed, which was cool.... but it only meant you had both male and female nerds. ;) In that enviroment I was the partier of the group. My buddy Matt and I'd run up and down the halls, bangin' on doors... tryin' to get those bastards to go down to Pine street with us.

Sad thing is... we partied alot, but neither of us came back the next year. It was easy to predict, and I'd change it if I could. BUT... I learned how to have fun. That's a pretty good thing to learn, if you wanna lead a happy life.

Once you get outta highschool.... there is no "cool" anymore. If people like you, great! If they don't? F*ck 'em. Why should it matter to you? Get some balls and go out. Somethin' will happen.... you'll have a great time with the guys... get some good feedback from a girl... (god forbid) make out with some chick.... and then you'll be hooked. Star Wars and Chiefsplanet aint got chit on that. ;)

2bikemike
Something you might try is to take small steps into the social life. For instance tonights party. Just stop by for a short period of time say an hour. In that hour make it a goal to talk to 2 or 3 people and then leave. People will stop inviting you if you never show up.

Stop beating yourself up. Quit saying your a nerd or that your stupid for wasting your time.

Ugly Duck
01-18-2003, 10:42 PM
The bummer is..... there was a girl-nerd at that party. One that finally got the gutz to walk in or was dragged there by her friends. She just hung around the back of the room, not knowing how to make small talk and feeling uncomfortable. Wishing that some guy-nerd would show up and start talking to her. Someone just like her, someone that knows how it feels to be uncomfortable in a party situation. But you never showed up and she sat there alone.

You two will never hook up until you scope for for her like she's scoping for you. She's out there. Look for her - she needs you...

theultimatekcchiefsfan
Dude why don't you pick up a chick on-line. I personally don't chat,
but I know plenty of people who have met chicks and scored through yahoo chat.

MeatPeeker
It's just very hard for me guys....I spend so many nights alone that it seems like that's the only way to do things. :sulk:

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Dude why don't you pick up a chick on-line. I personally don't chat,
but I know plenty of people who have met chicks and scored through yahoo chat.

Uh, no.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Dude, how old are you?

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:44 PM

I will say this. If she lived a few blocks away I might have gone over there by now.

DaWolf
01-18-2003, 10:44 PM
I mean, if the Shermanator can bang Nadia, anything can happen, right?
<EMBED SRC="http://www.moviesounds.com/ampie/sherminator.wav" AUTOSTART=FALSE LOOP=FALSE WIDTH=145 HEIGHT=55 ALIGN="CENTER">
</EMBED>

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 10:45 PM
People will stop inviting you if you never show up.

very true

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by DaWolf
I mean, if the Shermanator can bang Nadia, anything can happen, right?
<EMBED SRC="http://www.moviesounds.com/ampie/sherminator.wav" AUTOSTART=FALSE LOOP=FALSE WIDTH=145 HEIGHT=55 ALIGN="CENTER">
</EMBED>

That guy had a lean body and friends. Makes alot of difference.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by KcMizzou

very true

This is the third party I've been invited to in two semesters.

htismaqe
01-18-2003, 10:48 PM
My college roomate was a GEEK...stereotypical Jim Henson-looking, computer-programming NERD. The dude never left the house, spent all his time on his computer, and was always lamenting that he couldn't get chicks.

Well, then I met this chick while I was tripping on acid, she was WAYYYYYY too freaky for me, so introduced her to my roomate.

They dated for like 8 months and he got laid HUNDREDS of times. Not only that, but he never had problems going out and meeting girls after that.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Well at least he had a friend. I don't.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Show up with your digital camera, take alot of photos (chicks like to be photographed) Tell everyone you will be posting the pictures on the web after the party for everyone who didn't show up to see what they missed. You'll call it "Girls and Guys gone wild 2003! Everyone will go out of their way to be on film. You'll be a smash!!:D

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 10:50 PM

This is the third party I've been invited to in two semesters.

well then get off your ass... stop feelin' sorry for yourself... and DO something.

I'm about ready to give up on ya. :shake: Maybe you'll meet a girl when you're 47, at a trekkie convention. :rolleyes:

htismaqe
01-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Nothing like peer pressure, but I can't help but say:

Go out, drink a couple shots of JW black label and smoke some bud, dude. You need to lose your inhibitions in a SERIOUS way.

Hang loose, be yourself, and the chicks will COME TO YOU.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Show up with your digital camera, take alot of photos (chicks like to be photographed) Tell everyone you will be posting the pictures on the web after the party for everyone who didn't show up to see what they missed. Everyone will go out of their way to be on film. You'll be a smash!!:D

I have nowhere near the level of balls needed to do something like that.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:52 PM
You know what else has contributed to f***ing me up? I used to be a Jehovah's Witness.

2bikemike
01-18-2003, 10:52 PM
I would be willing to bet in todays day and age that you have something in common with 90% of young people today and you don't even realize it. Computers you are into computers right? Aren't most young adults your age? Video games are another area. Music? Do you like music? I wish you the best of luck in climbing out of your shell. You can't relive your life so now is the time to enjoy life. Don't let the fear of rejection stop you in your tracks. Why did they invite you to this party if they didn't think you belonged.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:53 PM
They invited everyone to the party.......

Again, if it was two blocks away I would probably go. But it's not.....

PunkinDrublic
01-18-2003, 10:53 PM
You're only young once do you want to spend that time being agoraphopic (hope I spelled that right). You gotta learn to not care so much what others are going to think. Anyway I gotta go but I'm serious next time you get invited to a party send me a smoke signal we'll meet up and I'll go to the party with you. Worst case scenerio is you end up hanging out with someone who shares a common interest in the Chiefs and Chiefs planet.

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Man.. honestly... I think you're full of shit. I don't think meeting a girl is even on your list of priorities. I think you're an attention whore. You'd much rather have people on a web-site pandering to you than actually experience anything real. I'm bored with it. :rolleyes:

Jeremy Bulloch
01-18-2003, 10:54 PM
I know you don't have friends, gochiefs. May I call you gochiefs? Do you have a first name? Please call me Jeremy.

I used to be just like you until I went to a party. You'll do fine, chap. Your behaviour is not uncommon for youngsters such as yourself. I'd like for you to give yourself a little credit and move on to the next stage of your life.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Man.. honestly... I think you're full of shit. I don't think meeting a girl is even on your list of priorities. I think you're an attention whore. You'd much rather have people on a web-site pandering to you than actually experience anything real. I'm bored with it. :rolleyes:

You're wrong.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy Bulloch
I know you don't have friends, gochiefs. May I call you gochiefs? Do you have a first name? Please call me Jeremy.

I used to be just like you until I went to a party. You'll do fine, chap. Your behaviour is not uncommon for youngsters such as yourself. I'd like for you to give yourself a little credit and move on to the next stage of your life.

I highly doubt you are really the actor that played Boba Fett.

KcMizzou

You're wrong.

hope so

2bikemike
Dude I hope you take up Punkin Drublic on his offer. Nothing to lose there.

htismaqe
I have nowhere near the level of balls needed to do something like that.

That's why you need some "chemical augmentation"...

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Dude I hope you take up Punkin Drublic on his offer. Nothing to lose there.

I might.

InvinciBill
01-18-2003, 10:59 PM

ROFL

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:00 PM
It was pretty funny. I think someone was trying to appeal to my nerd side. They must have thought I am incredibly stupid as well. :rolleyes:

htismaqe
01-18-2003, 11:00 PM

Wow.

He IS a nerd.

siberian khatru
01-18-2003, 11:01 PM
How can somebody who's a sportswriter be afraid to talk to people? In your job, you're required to go up to complete strangers and ask them personal questions all the time ("What were your emotions?" "What were you thinking?" "Why did you do that?")

Yet, you can't hold a beer at a crowded party and talk sports or movies or computers or school with folks you at least kinda know?

If you can screw up your courage to do interviews, you can socialize on a college campus, where you already have much in common with everyone else -- you're all going to the same school, taking many of the same classes. A little conversation about that can reveal other common interests. You just have to take that first step and scratch the surface, after that it snowballs.

KcMizzou
Originally posted by htismaqe

Wow.

He IS a nerd.

lmao... maybe I should rethink this whole BS theory

2bikemike
Nothin to it but to do it! Any way I gotta go for now I hope you will lighten up on yourself and stop viewing yourself as someone who can't mingle with anyone you so choose.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:02 PM

Wow.

He IS a nerd.

Can you name the other character that Jeremy Bulloch played?

His name was Lieutenant Sheckil, an Imperial officer who is the unmasked Bulloch, seen here:

http://www.starwarsautographcollecting.com/Autographs/TrilogyAutographs/bullock2.jpg

RJ
01-18-2003, 11:02 PM
I never want to go to parties, and I'm a pretty sociable guy. Salesman by trade. But I always dread the small talk, thinking I'll be bored if there aren't people I know there. And I almost always end up having a great time.

Point being, it's too bad you didn't go as you'd likely have enjoyed yourself. The good news is that you're in college and there'll be plenty of parties and eventually something will happen that will get you to walk in the door. You'll be fine once you do.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:04 PM
I should host a Star Wars watching party when the new one comes out....too bad it's in 2005. :grr:

Jeremy Bulloch
01-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Believe what you wish, friend. I'll harbour no resentment if you choose to disbelieve me. A member of my fanclub emailed me 3 days ago about your situation and asked that I drop in on this site. I'll be going to Mass shortly, but I wanted to take a moment to offer a brief word of encouragement.

htismaqe
01-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Dude, if you ever want to have girls interested in you, you need to stop thinking about Star Wars and your video card.

The only thing making you appear like a geek is YOU.

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by rjintx
I never want to go to parties, and I'm a pretty sociable guy. Salesman by trade. But I always dread the small talk, thinking I'll be bored if there aren't people I know there. And I almost always end up having a great time.

Point being, it's too bad you didn't go as you'd likely have enjoyed yourself. The good news is that you're in college and there'll be plenty of parties and eventually something will happen that will get you to walk in the door. You'll be fine once you do.

heh... maybe he just needs a wing-man. I always know if nothin' else.... me and my boy are gonna have a good time... drink some beer... and have fun. Sometimes things work out, and we get hooked up..... sometimes we don't. We always have fun though.

I think GC just needs a bud to back him up. (btw... the best kind is a guy who makes an ass of himself.. and breaks the ice.... that way you swing in lookin' like the nice guy of the 2)

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:07 PM
I should host a Star Wars watching party when the new one comes out....too bad it's in 2005. :grr:

ya like Lord of the Rings? :D It's not nearly as far off

FRCDFED
01-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Take your a** to the party but just be "yourself." If you drink then just drink a couple. Go up to the few people you know just to say hey and tell them you can only stay for a few because you have to get up early. Tell you you were hanging out with some other friends and they caused you to be late. Anyway, that gives you a few minutes of face time, allows everyone to see your pretty cool because you don't show up, get **** faced, and break things. Then you're out of there and you were seen by others. The next time the other people are having a party and see you it will increase your chances of getting invited thus giving you a social life.

Go to the party but do it on your terms. A quick in and out and a few handshakes!

The Bad Guy
01-18-2003, 11:12 PM
GoChiefs,

You need someone in your family to give you a kick in the ass.

And Sib is right, if you are planning on becoming a sportswriter( I'm planning on becoming one as well, thats what I'm going to college for) then you have to have a set of balls on you. You have to be able to take criticism, ask tough questions and SOCIALIZE.

You are wasting years that people on this board would kill to get back. I'm sure you had friends in high school, everyone has a friend in high school I don't care how nerdy you are. Think about the ways you made those friends. People will go out of their way to offer friendship, but once you keep rejecting them (like not going to this party) they will stop.

This is what leads me to believe why you have no current friends. I think people make the effort, but you push them away for no reason.

You absolutely need to start spreading your wings. You will look back on these days you are pissing away sitting on a computer and regret them and there won't be a damn thing you can do about it.

My 17 year old brother in high school would rather sit online than socialize with people from school. I would give up just about everything I have to get my high school years back. You just don't appreciate things like high school and the time before you head out into the real world until you are in it.

Take Punkin up on his offer man. You have nothing to lose. To be a journalist you HAVE to make contacts with people. Consider him your contact to the outside world.

I've ragged on you pretty hard on this board, but I really do feel sorry for you. I enjoy sitting online, but I have a girlfriend and a life that I wouldn't trade for any modem, harddrive, or video card. Those things will always be there. Your youth won't.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:13 PM
Unbelievable. No WAY this is Jeremy Bulloch.

If this really IS Jeremy Bulloch, I met you....twice. Let's see if it's really you.

The second time I met you, I was wearing a green shirt with a logo on it. You commented on it. What logo was it?

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-18-2003, 11:13 PM

Are you really a nerd? Do you own a pair of Boba Fett boots? Did you cry when Spock, Kirk and Data died? Do you own the soundtrack to every Star Trek movie? Do you ready science fiction novels? Do you own seven plastic lightsabers? Do you go to science fiction conventions? Do you have Jabba the Hutt sitting on top of your monitor, flanked by the Fetts?

THAT IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A NERD.

Dude get to that party or you;ll end up like these Star Wars nerds

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/nerds.html

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by The Bad Guy
GoChiefs,

You need someone in your family to give you a kick in the ass.

And Sib is right, if you are planning on becoming a sportswriter( I'm planning on becoming one as well, thats what I'm going to college for) then you have to have a set of balls on you. You have to be able to take criticism, ask tough questions and SOCIALIZE.

You are wasting years that people on this board would kill to get back. I'm sure you had friends in high school, everyone has a friend in high school I don't care how nerdy you are. Think about the ways you made those friends. People will go out of their way to offer friendship, but once you keep rejecting them (like not going to this party) they will stop.

This is what leads me to believe why you have no current friends. I think people make the effort, but you push them away for no reason.

Hell, I didn't drink until I was 21. I never considered myself to be a party guy in high school because honestly I don't think I went to 10 parties in all 4 years.

You absolutely need to start spreading your wings. You will look back on these days you are pissing away sitting on a computer and regret them and there won't be a damn thing you can do about it.

My 17 year old brother in high school would rather sit online than socialize with people from school. I would give up just about everything I have to get my high school years back. You just don't appreciate things like high school and the time before you head out into the real world until you are in it.

Take Punkin up on his offer man. You have nothing to lose. To be a journalist you HAVE to make contacts with people. Consider him your contact to the outside world.

I've ragged on you pretty hard on this board, but I really do feel sorry for you. I enjoy sitting online, but I have a girlfriend and a life that I wouldn't trade for any modem, harddrive, or video card. Those things will always be there. Your youth won't.

what he said. nice post man

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Dude, if you ever want to have girls interested in you, you need to stop thinking about Star Wars and your video card.

And that AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

PastorMikH
01-18-2003, 11:16 PM
GoChiefs, I've read through a little over half the posts. I think you are too hard on yourself. Dude, lighten up on yourself a bit. I really doubt you are such a nerd that people are lining up to make fun of you. I used to struggle just as you do. (Well, maybe not that much, but I can sympathize:)) When I finally became content with who I was and quit trying to be what I thought everyone around me wanted me, a lot of these problems changed. Now, not everyone liked me, not everyone's going to, that's life. But I also started making some real freinds after that.

Really, it is no big deal to walk in, make an appearance, and after a couple of minutes, say goodbye to the hostess, tell her you have some stuff you gotta tend to but wanted to stop in for a moment, and head out. That way, she will remember that you are there. If you are afraid of acting stupid while there, definately don't drink - and you have a perfectly good excuse with having to drive an hour home. I would be suprised if you went to a large party and didn't find someone you had something in common with. Shoot, there may have been a serious gamer there that you could have talked sound cards with.

I have read a lot of your posts. You seem to be decent enough of a guy. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Hang in there man!

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:17 PM
I feel so stupid....I should have gone. I really would go if it was a few minutes away.

SHIT! :banghead: :banghead:

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-18-2003, 11:18 PM
The second time I met you, I was wearing a green shirt with a logo on it. You commented on it. What logo was it?

It was the letters N E R D :D

MeatPeeker

It was the letters N E R D :D

man I need a shirt like that...or at least a hat

Jeremy Bulloch
Friend,

One of my favourite activities is socializing. That is what has opened so many doors for me. I'm blessed. I make small talk about all sorts of interesting topics. Additionally, I've grown older. There is no way I would remember shirt logo you speak of. I'm sorry.

I'm off.

I wish you the best. Take these gentlemen's advice. They are providing their assistance free of charge.

Cheers,

Jeremy

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:20 PM
:LOL:

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-18-2003, 11:21 PM

man I need a shirt like that...or at least a hat

http://static.zoovy.com/img/nerdgear/-/greynerdhat1http://static.zoovy.com/img/nerdgear/-/routefood

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:22 PM

http://static.zoovy.com/img/nerdgear/-/greynerdhat1

THAT IS AWESOME!

I'm serious...I want that hat.

siberian khatru
01-18-2003, 11:24 PM
gochiefs, I hope you're appreciating all the terrific advice you're getting on this board, because we all very easily could be busting your balls over this. If a bunch of complete strangers with a penchant for smaque are willing to cut you some slack, why do you thinks folks who know you -- and invite you to their parties -- won't?

I didn't start socializing big time until I was a junior or senior in high school. I just started going to parties, would sit back with a friend or two, sometimes alone, with a beer and without fail somebody would come up and talk to me. Often it was a girl -- there are a lot of girls out there who are outgoing (and/or liquored up) and just like to talk to guys at parties. Doesn't mean you're going to get laid, but you gotta start somewhere.

When I hit college, I was a completely different person at 18 than I was at 16. College was awesome. I met a whole bunch of great people of all different backgrounds. I'd talk sports with guys who were jocks, or brains, or geeks. Didn't matter -- we had one thing in common. College wasn't clique-ish like high school. DO NOT WASTE WHAT'S LEFT OF YOUR COLLEGE DAYS. You will regret it for the rest of your life.

Get off your ass and go live some! :spank:

stevieray
"I can't be what I'm not..."

None of us end up like we thought we would. and not ONE of us hasn't felt like you did tonight at one time or another. It's safe not to take the risk and jump off the cliff and try new things. You'd might be surprised by the results, but will never know unless you go for it.

parties aren't a competiton, they are get togethers so you and everyone else dosen't have to hang out ALONE.

MeatPeeker
That shirt is cool, but not as cool as the hat!

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-18-2003, 11:25 PM

THAT IS AWESOME!

I'm serious...I want that hat.

Her you go. Maybe you can wear it to your next party.
http://nerdgear.zoovy.com/category/hats/

Otter
01-18-2003, 11:26 PM
Its gonna take a special kinda women to take her panties off in thar room. Maybe you should dress her in a white gown and velcro sticky buns to the sides of her head to stick with the theme. ROFL

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by stevieray
"I can't be what I'm not..."

None of us end up like we thought we would. and not ONE of us hasn't felt like you did tonight at one time or another. It's safe not to take the risk and jump off the cliff and try new things. You'd might be surprised by the results, but will never know unless you go for it.

parties aren't a competiton, they are get togethers so you and everyone else dosen't have to hang out ALONE.

lol... stevie, I don't think I've ever seen you be that serious before.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the link.

There's a Super Bowl party at David's house (guy who works on my paper) whenever the Super Bowl is. He said there would be beer...lol. I have a couple ideas:

Invite that chick.

Get this Raider fan at the paper to come (if Oakland makes it).

It would be soooooo much fun rooting against the Raiders if he was there. I'd wear my Green jersey. :D

Sound good guys?

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:31 PM
College wasn't clique-ish like high school

Sib said that...

He's right. And LIFE isn't like that. You think you're a "nerd" or whatever... nobody else cares. Sooner or later you'll realize that. You like people or ya don't.... ya don't think about wether he/she likes star wars or not. :rolleyes: (unless you're 14)

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Man I may not be able to go to that Super Bowl party....shit....I may have to go cover this STUPID GAME. :banghead:

Michael Michigan
01-18-2003, 11:33 PM
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

stevieray
01-18-2003, 11:33 PM

lol... stevie, I don't think I've ever seen you be that serious before.

interesting...I think I come across too serious most of the time.

except during your nuptials, of course...:D

I think that go chiefs really missed out tonight. not on getting laid...but even maybe a nice smile from a girl he doesn't know. that is a huge confidence builder for someone shy in the social dep't.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Michael Michigan
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Was that a compliment?

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the link.

There's a Super Bowl party at David's house (guy who works on my paper) whenever the Super Bowl is. He said there would be beer...lol. I have a couple ideas:

Invite that chick.

Get this Raider fan at the paper to come (if Oakland makes it).

It would be soooooo much fun rooting against the Raiders if he was there. I'd wear my Green jersey. :D

Sound good guys?

sounds great if you actually DO it. You have alot of bud's rootin' for ya.... if you can't do it now ya never will. Do you have a buddy that'd go along and play "wing man"? I think that'd help your confidence

Michael Michigan
01-18-2003, 11:36 PM

Was that a compliment?

Absolutely.

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:37 PM

interesting...I think I come across too serious most of the time.

except during your nuptials, of course...:D

I think that go chiefs really missed out tonight. not on getting laid...but even maybe a nice smile from a girl he doesn't know. that is a huge confidence builder for someone shy in the social dep't.

lol.. I guess what usually catches my attention in your posts.. is the humor.. (ie... smart ass one liners)

Taco and I are doin' fine though... but he's a little sore from the honeymoon. ;) :D

(and all the serious chit I agree with...lol)

FloridaChief
01-18-2003, 11:38 PM

Cool quote. That was Millhouse from The Simpson's, wasn't it?

:)

Michael Michigan
01-18-2003, 11:38 PM
And you can ignore all of this "sportswriters are cool" posts.

I've met more sportwriters than I've cared to, and they are not cool.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:39 PM

sounds great if you actually DO it. You have alot of bud's rootin' for ya.... if you can't do it now ya never will. Do you have a buddy that'd go along and play "wing man"? I think that'd help your confidence

Yeah, the Raider fan. ROFL

Although if they lose, I'm not riding home with him. :eek:

Michael Michigan
01-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by FloridaChief

Cool quote. That was Millhouse from The Simpson's, wasn't it?

:)

Lester Bangs---

Almost Famous 2000

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:41 PM

WTF? The two guys I sat with and went to the press room with were pretty cool.

siberian khatru
01-18-2003, 11:41 PM

Who said sportswriters are cool? I said they can't be afraid to talk to people.

I should know. I was one once. And I wasn't cool. :grr:

Now, editorial writers, those guys are da bomb! ;)

siberian khatru
01-18-2003, 11:43 PM

WTF? The two guys I sat with and went to the press room with were pretty cool.

Well, yeah, compared to YOU. :p

KcMizzou

Yeah, the Raider fan. ROFL

Although if they lose, I'm not riding home with him. :eek:

Raider fan? who cares.. there's ur boy. If nothin' else you guys'll party together and have some fun. It's not NEARLY as scary if ya have a wing man.

Michael Michigan
Originally posted by siberian khatru

I should know. I was one once. And I wasn't cool. :grr:

Now, editorial writers, those guys are da bomb! ;)

My mistake. I thought I had read it earlier.

stevieray

Lester Bangs---

Almost Famous 2000 I love Cameron Crowes stuff...coolest thing is he lived that story....

MeatPeeker

I'm not afraid to talk to anyone. When I have to talk to these people, I can do it.

But I don't HAVE to go to a party and talk to people. So I don't. There's nothing to fear from NOT going, but there is everything to fear from going.

Fear motivates me.

Michael Michigan
I love Cameron Crowes stuff...coolest thing is he lived that story....

It's all happening.

FloridaChief
01-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Lester Bangs---

Almost Famous 2000

Yep. Bangs was pretty cool for a nerd who wrote for RS. His insights are missed to this day.

Michael Michigan
01-18-2003, 11:45 PM

I'm not afraid to talk to anyone. When I have to talk to these people, I can do it.

But I don't HAVE to go to a party and talk to people. So I don't. There's nothing to fear from NOT going, but there is everything to fear from going.

Fear motivates me.

here is another for you gochiefs--

We are uncool.

Women will always be a problem for guys like us--most of the great art in the world is about that very problem.

Good looking people they got no spine--their art never lasts.

They get the girls--but we're smarter--

That's what great art is about.

Guilt and longing and love disguised as sex and sex disguised as love...

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:46 PM
someone to play "goose" to your "maverick"? don't tell me ya didn't like Top Gun.... I'll think ya don't like girls in the first place. ;)

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:47 PM

Guilt and longing and love disguised as sex and sex disguised as love...

I get everything but that part.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:48 PM
someone to play "goose" to your "maverick"? don't tell me ya didn't like Top Gun.... I'll think ya don't like girls in the first place. ;)

Man I LOVE Top Gun. The scene where Maverick sings to the chick in the bar is like my NUMBER ONE GOAL in life.

siberian khatru
01-18-2003, 11:49 PM

It's all happening.

"What, are you like the star of your school?"
"They hate me."
"You'll meet them all again on their long journey to the middle."

That movie instantly became one of my all-time favorites the first time I saw it. Have you seen the director's cut DVD with the commentary track by Cameron Crowe and his mother? Terrific stuff.

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:50 PM

Man I LOVE Top Gun. The scene where Maverick sings to the chick in the bar is like my NUMBER ONE GOAL in life.

Yeah see...? Ya just need a little swagger. Ya don't hafta sing..lol Just have that kinda confidence. And a bit of charm.

Michael Michigan
01-18-2003, 11:51 PM

"They hate me."

That movie instantly became one of my all-time favorites the first time I saw it. Have you seen the director's cut DVD with the commentary track by Cameron Crowe and his mother? Terrific stuff.

I haven't---I saw it came out a few months ago---thanks for the reminder.

MeatPeeker
01-18-2003, 11:51 PM
I think I could sing to a chick in a bar like that if I had two things going for me:

1. The rest of the bar singing.

2. I know the song.

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:52 PM

"They hate me."

damn... now I wanna get that DVD. I saw it on VHS... but that'd be cool.

Michael Michigan

I get everything but that part.

If you haven't seen Almost Famous and you plan on writing--it's worth your time.

MeatPeeker
I've seen bits of it....the movie with the rock band reporter kid, right?

Michael Michigan
01-18-2003, 11:54 PM
You have to make your reputation on being honest-----

and unmerciful.

KcMizzou
01-18-2003, 11:54 PM
I think I could sing to a chick in a bar like that if I had two things going for me:

1. The rest of the bar singing.

2. I know the song.

The singin' isn't the point. The guy had balls. He intentionally made a fool of himself.... to show her that he liked her. She knew he was bein' stupid... and he knew it too, but it didn't matter. He made his point.

Michael Michigan
01-18-2003, 11:55 PM
I've seen bits of it....the movie with the rock band reporter kid, right?

yes---

Loosely based on the life and times of a young Cameron Crowe.

Michael Michigan
01-19-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by FloridaChief

Yep. Bangs was pretty cool for a nerd who wrote for RS. His insights are missed to this day.

Beware, beware of Rolling stone magazine because they will change your story----

They'll re-write it. And turn it into swill.

Don't let those swill merchants re-write you.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 12:04 AM
So Michael... I know you're a sports writer (from readin' the board) Who are ya? If you dont mind me askin'

Michael Michigan
01-19-2003, 12:11 AM
So Michael... I know you're a sports writer (from readin' the board) Who are ya? If you dont mind me askin'

I started as a sportswriter years ago, but now sport writing is secondary--The news organization I write for (The Landmark) likes to give what I term "alternative" coverage on the Chiefs.

Both in print and on the web.

My passion is pop culture and politics.

www.plattecountylandmark.com

Michael Michigan
01-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Last week's entry--

http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/ckrairden.htm

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 12:15 AM
I think I just figured it out.

I know why I didn't go to the party.

There were girls there.

wazu
01-19-2003, 12:17 AM
gochiefs -

You seem to not realize the most important thing here:

YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU ARE A NERD!

Nerds who know they are nerds are the most dangerous nerds there are! They'll come running into a party with reckless abandon because, what's the worst that can happen? They're already a nerd. No matter how big a fool they make of themselves they can only go up!

Seriously though, reading this thread kind of makes me wonder about all those people I've known in my life that just never seemed to make it to the party, and nobody ever really got to know them. I wonder how many of them were as paralyzed by fear.

I'm usually fairly apprehensive about going to a social event with lots of people I don't really know. It's usually worth it though. You can't just let life pass you by.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 12:17 AM

There were girls there.

that kinda sums it up

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 12:18 AM
Yes, it was just the girls.

NEXT TIME, I CRASH THAT MOTHERF*CKER! REVENGE OF THE NERD! :cuss:

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Adam KC
gochiefs -

You seem to not realize the most important thing here:

YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU ARE A NERD!

Nerds who know they are nerds are the most dangerous nerds there are! They'll come running into a party with reckless abandon because, what's the worst that can happen? They're already a nerd. No matter how big a fool they make of themselves they can only go up!

Seriously though, reading this thread kind of makes me wonder about all those people I've known in my life that just never seemed to make it to the party, and nobody ever really got to know them. I wonder how many of them were as paralyzed by fear.

I'm usually fairly apprehensive about going to a social event with lots of people I don't really know. It's usually worth it though. You can't just let life pass you by.

He's right... plus he has a nice ass.

2bikemike
01-19-2003, 12:19 AM
Just remember to be that brave next time there is a party!

Phobia
01-19-2003, 12:24 AM

There were girls there.

Wrong. You didn't go because of YOU and your insecurities. Don't scapegoat the ladies. The sooner you stop lying to yourself, the sooner you "recover" from your anti-social behavior. Why don't you make a concious decision to bust down the door? Once you do that, everything else will be downhill.

When you go back to work, ask the lady how the party turned out. Explain how you wanted and even planned to go, but you felt shy (not because of her or women in general - that will scare her off). She might think that's sweet and make you a project. One thing leads to another.

The important thing is to acknowledge your absence, don't make excuses, be interested, and communicate with her. This could be a perfect opportunity.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 12:27 AM
This is a direct quote from left wing Senator Patty Murray from the state of Washington to a group of High School students earlier this month, “(Osama bin Laden has) been out in these countries for decades building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities and people are extremely grateful,” she said. “He’s made their lives better. We have not done that.”

Some of these mouth breathers never quit romanticizing Osama. Any road this terrorist may have built went directly in and out of a terrorist camp aimed at training terrorists to kill Americans. Any school he financed would have an agenda at brainwashing kids to hate anything non-Muslim. His health care facilities were meant for injured Jihad warriors, not for the general public. And day care centers? Under his idea of extreme Muslim faith women aren’t even people. What do you think, Ms. Murray, Muslim women hop in the SUV, drop the kids off at day care and head to work?

Why do you think those people danced in the streets and celebrated when Afghanistan was liberated by our military? Because they favored living under the tyranny of the Taliban, al-Qaeda and Osama? Do you really believe those people favored living in fear of execution if they strayed off the Osama bin Laden course? We made their lives better by giving themtheir freedom back.

Cue Carl Peterson—

Ms. Murray, sit the &*#@ down and shut the *&#@ up.

How sweet is that?

RJ
01-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Just remember to be that brave next time there is a party!

And hang out in the kitchen. I don't know why, but that's held true from 16 to 44. The kitchen is the place to meet the best people. And you're never left alone. There's always folks coming and going, lots of them stay. You'll make some friends and maybe meet some girls.....they gravitate to the kitchen later. I don't know why that is either.

Wait, I do know. It's cause in the kitchen you're not forced to mingle. The mingling comes to you. Anyway, just go, hang out in the kitchen. It works.

Logical
01-19-2003, 12:30 AM
I just read your thread post and all I can say is that I feel both sympathy and sadness for your situation.

I hope you overcome your paralyzing fear so you will one day be able to enjoy a more complete life. For now enjoy what you enjoy but work on improving your self-esteem.

2bikemike
01-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Damn good plan hanging out in the kitchen. I wonder why I never noticed that.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 12:31 AM

And hang out in the kitchen. I don't know why, but that's held true from 16 to 44. The kitchen is the place to meet the best people. And you're never left alone. There's always folks coming and going, lots of them stay. You'll make some friends and maybe meet some girls.....they gravitate to the kitchen later. I don't know why that is either.

Wait, I do know. It's cause in the kitchen you're not forced to mingle. The mingling comes to you. Anyway, just go, hang out in the kitchen. It works.

Dude.. the beer is in the fridge. The fridge is in the kitchen. ;)

RJ
01-19-2003, 12:35 AM

Dude.. the beer is in the fridge. The fridge is in the kitchen. ;)

The beer might be in the keg in the yard but things still come to the kitchen. The kitchen is somehow the center of every home. And the girls keep their wine coolers in the fridge.

FloridaChief
01-19-2003, 12:36 AM

True, true. For reasons I don't completely understand, hanging out in the kitchen at a party will always net positive results. I've found from my experiences that the 'Big K' is the revolving point for future interpersonal relationships...

Must be something about the food, drink and standing around the counter that fosters the most promising results....

Go for it next time, Lord Maul....

Logical
01-19-2003, 12:36 AM

Wrong. You didn't go because of YOU and your insecurities. Don't scapegoat the ladies. The sooner you stop lying to yourself, the sooner you "recover" from your anti-social behavior. Why don't you make a concious decision to bust down the door? Once you do that, everything else will be downhill.

When you go back to work, ask the lady how the party turned out. Explain how you wanted and even planned to go, but you felt shy (not because of her or women in general - that will scare her off). She might think that's sweet and make you a project. One thing leads to another.

The important thing is to acknowledge your absence, don't make excuses, be interested, and communicate with her. This could be a perfect opportunity.

Excellent, Exellent advice, pay attention Gochiefs.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 12:37 AM

The beer might be in the keg in the yard but things still come to the kitchen. The kitchen is somehow the center of every home. And the girls keep their wine coolers in the fridge.

good point. actually that might be even better.... drunk guys head outside... drunk girls come to you. works for me ;)

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Logical

Excellent, Exellent advice, pay attention Gochiefs.

yeah, he's not bad for a communist, nazi, satanic mod.

Phobia
01-19-2003, 12:47 AM
Hanging out in the kitchen is GREAT advice.

I'm gonna take it one step further:

I would surmise that less than 20% of women like beer. Many of them drink it in their youth for lack of a viable alternative. If you learn how to make chick drinks (and even provide ingredients), you'll become well known with the ladies. This is a GREAT way to meet women and become well liked.

I'm going to treat you to my own margarita secret recipe.
3 parts mix (any will do, I don't prefer any one over another)
2 part tequilla (More expensive is better, but again, any will do - my preference is Patron $$$)
1 part orange liqueur (Grand Marnier is my preference, but Contreau or comporable will suffice)
splash (1/2 part) lime juice
2-3 parts of the secret ingredient....

7-up, Sprite, Mountain Dew - any of those will work. If that's not handy, water will work. Essentially, EVERY mix is a tad too strong. Water or 7-up dillutes it just enough....

Pour over crushed ice, shake until frothy, serve.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 12:49 AM
:spock: I'm gonna save this lil recipe... not that I need it or anything ;)

Phobia
01-19-2003, 12:56 AM
:spock: I'm gonna save this lil recipe... not that I need it or anything ;)

Be advised; I rarely measure my ingredients. I approximate. You may need to adjust a little one way or another depending on how strong you like your drinks.

Cosmopolitan is another beverage that will bring the ladies flocking. I heisted this one off the web:

1 1/4 ounces vodka (Citron) (about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
1/4 ounce lime juice (about 3/4 tablespoon)
1/4 ounce triple sec or Cointreau (about 3/4 tablespoon)
1/4 cup cranberry juice
1 cup ice cubes

Garnish: lime twist

In a cocktail shaker combine all ingredients. Shake well and strain into a Martini glass.

Garnish drink with lime.

RJ
Phobia, that's funny. I laugh because I've spent many a party mixing drinks. Margueritas are always a winner. Another guaranteed success is any drink with grenadine. Any white liquor combined with a citrus juice or lemon/lime soft drink and a pretty swirl of the red grenadine is a guaranteed winner. And if you can top that off with a slice of fruit, well....

Logical

Pour over crushed ice, shake until frothy, serve.

Heathen, you do not need to dilute it with 7up or other. You do not pour it over crushed ice. You fill a blender with ice pour phobias mixture into it add two teaspoons of confectioners sugar and blend until you have a Margarita Slushee. The blending will melt just enough ice to take care of the dilution and the sugar takes the bite off which is great for the ladies.;)

wazu
01-19-2003, 01:00 AM
gochiefs -

Have you considered getting drunk before you go to a party? You'd have to get a cab, but I really think it would help.

Phobia
01-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Heathen, you do not need to dilute it with 7up or other. You do not pour it over crushed ice. You fill a blender with ice pour phobias mixture into it add two teaspoons of confectioners sugar and blend until you have a Margarita Slushee. The blending will melt just enough ice to take care of the dilution and the sugar takes the bite off which is great for the ladies.;)

Hehe - the idea is taking the bite off. Either method works for that, but mine adds a little bubbly dynamic to the 'rita. I will try the sugar someday. Probably not anytime soon 'cuz the wife has 6 months+ to go....

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:04 AM
and to think.... I always wondered why they didn't like my Mad Dog 20/20 :spock:

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:05 AM

Hehe - the idea is taking the bite off. Either method works for that, but mine adds a little bubbly dynamic to the 'rita. I will try the sugar someday. Probably not anytime soon 'cuz the wife has 6 months+ to go....

I see your point on the bubbles, why are women so impressed with simple carbonation. I am sure the delay will be well worth it.:thumb:

Phobia
01-19-2003, 01:05 AM
gochiefs -

Have you considered getting drunk before you go to a party? You'd have to get a cab, but I really think it would help.

Dude - he's been drunk ONCE. I don't think drunk is the answer to overcoming this situation. At least not the first few times. He doesn't yet know his limitations. Drunk, puking, and passing out is a recipe for digging further into his shell. I would advise against doing that with people who are essentially strangers.

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:07 AM
No way in HELL I tell her about this.

I'm serious about the girl thing. If it was all guys, I would have had no problem going. I certainly had no problems going to my first chiefs game at the bar.

2bikemike
01-19-2003, 01:08 AM
I agree Phobia. GoChiefs needs to stay sober. One or two drinks to lossen up though might not be bad. But don't get drunk.

RJ
01-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Unrelated to gochiefs plight, but a story about chick drinks.

I used to tend bar in Paducah, Ky., in a pretty nice restaurant. On the weekends we'd get lots of customers from the surrounding dry counties. One night an old rancher/farmer guy came in. Had on overalls and boots, brought his family in for dinner. He sat down and ordered a pink squirrel, which is an ultimate chick drink. And he ordered another, and another. And eventually he got all effed up on those pink squirrels. Eventually he came to the bar to let me know he wasn't happy with my efforts.

"You call this a pink squirrel??!!?? This pink squirrel ain't worth a s***. I make better at home!!"

Years later I still get a laugh thinking of this old farmer coming home from a hard day in the fields and slamming down a few pink squirrels.

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Man I knew as soon as she said the party was starting around 9:30 or 10 I was f*cked. That seemed kinda late to me.

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:10 AM
No way in HELL I tell her about this.

I'm serious about the girl thing. If it was all guys, I would have had no problem going. I certainly had no problems going to my first chiefs game at the bar.

Man something about this post begs to have statements about your orientation made. I won't go there but you have some sort of serious issues to be in college and feel that way.:eek:

KcMizzou
Phobia... you think GC is what he says he is? Doesn't some of this kinda make you think he's kinda beggin' for attention? I dunno.. I hope not. He doesn't seem to take any of the advice that's offered.... and he plays the "nerd" thing up WAY too much. I dunno, I have my doubts.

wazu
Dude - he's been drunk ONCE. I don't think drunk is the answer to overcoming this situation. At least not the first few times. He doesn't yet know his limitations. Drunk, puking, and passing out is a recipe for digging further into his shell. I would advise against doing that with people who are essentially strangers.

Okay maybe not drunk. But I definitely think doing a few shots to get a good buzz going beforehand could be a good thing.

Nothing will help somebody get past social apprehension like a little alcohol. It raises the "who gives a ****" factor a few notches and is probably his best shot at suddenly seeing himself as witty and likeable. (Which is often a self-fulfilling prophecy.)

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:11 AM
I swear to you all I am not just doing this for attention. I need help...bad.

And Logical. I'm not gay. I watch straight pr0n, ok? ROFL

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:11 AM
damn GC, I assumed you were asleep.

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Phobia... you think GC is what he says he is? Doesn't some of this kinda make you think he's kinda beggin' for attention? I dunno.. I hope not. He doesn't seem to take any of the advice that's offered.... and he plays the "nerd" thing up WAY too much. I dunno, I have my doubts.

I must admit it seems like he is creating a psychosis for all of us to create attention and get responses. You may have something.

MeatPeeker
No, I am still lamenting not going to that party. I hate myself big time right now.

I wish I could go back in time and drag my ass out of the car, through the parking lot, across the street, and into her apartment. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

KcMizzou

Okay maybe not drunk. But I definitely think doing a few shots to get a good buzz going beforehand could be a good thing.

Nothing will help somebody get past social apprehension like a little alcohol. It raises the "who gives a ****" factor a few notches and is probably his best shot at suddenly seeing himself as witty and likeable. (Which is often a self-fulfilling prophecy.)

I agree. It's one thing to be drunk.... but to take the "edge" off is something all together different.

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:14 AM

I agree. It's one thing to be drunk.... but to take the "edge" off is something all together different.

How many shots of whiskey would take the edge off? As you know I have some experience in taking shots of whiskey. ROFL

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:16 AM
I swear to you all I am not just doing this for attention. I need help...bad.

And Logical. I'm not gay. I watch straight pr0n, ok? ROFL

Depends on what you are paying attention to.;)

Seriously though how can you be college age and have this much problem relating to women if you do not have some sort of issue. I did not say the issue was that you wanted to sleep with men, heck you may be asexual for all I know. If you were 11 this might be understandable but as it is it seems you have a case of arrested maturity.

KcMizzou

How many shots of whiskey would take the edge off? As you know I have some experience in taking shots of whiskey. ROFL

none... if you ARE for real.... I'd say a beer or two.

wazu

Four should do it.

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:17 AM

it seems you have a case of arrested maturity.

No shit, really? I had NO IDEA! :rolleyes:

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:17 AM

none... if you ARE for real.... I'd say a beer or two.

I AM for real. Why do you doubt me?

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:18 AM

Four should do it.

man... four shots of jack would have the poor guy actin' like austin powers.... only not as attractive.

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:20 AM

man... four shots of jack would have the poor guy actin' like austin powers.... only not as attractive.

It took 10 shots last time...and I remembered every minute of it.

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:21 AM
Guys I'm going to bed unless anyone wants to ask me anything...

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:21 AM

I AM for real. Why do you doubt me?

Well... I've just never met anybody that had this problem. Actually.. that's not true.... EVERYONE has this problem, but I've never seen it this bad.

It's really not a big deal man... just go have fun. I don't know why that's so hard. (?)

MeatPeeker
01-19-2003, 01:22 AM

I don't know why that's so hard. (?)

Neither do I....that's the problem.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:23 AM

g'night man... keep hangin' in there

Chiefs Pantalones
Just do it.

MeatPeeker
K...I'm going to attempt to sleep this off.

GO TITANS!

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:25 AM

OK I will ask you something. Are you really as pathetic as you are pretending to be?

If not what is the point of this, research for some article?

wazu
01-19-2003, 01:26 AM
gochiefs -

My best friend has a similar problem to you. (Although a much more watered down version.)

He's 28 and a few months ago had his first real girlfriend. He's got no excuses either. There's nothing that wrong with him, but for some reason he just views himself as a goof and has a completely unreasonable fear of rejection when it comes to females.

I can remember in high school practically kicking his ass and ordering him to ask out the girl he took to the prom.

Anyway, I don't guess this has much relevance. I think the biggest thing is that people like my friend and you have no idea how much you sell yourselves short.

Trust me, somewhere out there is a guy twice as nerdy as you that is making friends, and going on dates.

KcMizzou
ah hell.... if ya ever wanna talk... look me up on yahoo... "brandon2674"... you'll be alright dude.... you wanna have fun... that's a start ;)

wazu

According to a previous thread, he claims to be a pretty big guy. I'm factoring in body weight.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-19-2003, 01:29 AM
GC,

It's not hard. Get out of the freakin' car...and walk (this involves moving one leg infront of the other, and so on...) to the freakin' door and freakin' walk in.

Just...do...it.

Don't be afraid of anything. Don't think. Don't worry. Do it, and who cares what happens after that. Big risks=big rewards.

Good luck to ya, next time.:toast:

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:30 AM

OK I will ask you something. Are you really as pathetic as you are pretending to be?

If not what is the point of this, research for some article?

exactly... how do you balance the two? On one hand... I think the guy is a f*ckin' farce... who's havin' alot of fun with this.... but on the other.... maybe he's legit (?) and I don't wanna be a insensitive bastard.

You're logical heheh.... you tell me.

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:30 AM

According to a previous thread, he claims to be a pretty big guy. I'm factoring in body weight.

Even if that is the case and if it is like I said long ago I do have sympathy for him. He should go to a party like this and hang with the guys he knows and if a woman talks to him just talk back. Do not imagine she is hitting on him and throw fear into, women are humans as well and could just want to be a friend. It does happen.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:32 AM

gotcha... he's portly... but not the "fat bastard" version of mike myers.... plus he's a light weight

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:33 AM

exactly... how do you balance the two? On one hand... I think the guy is a f*ckin' farce... who's havin' alot of fun with this.... but on the other.... maybe he's legit (?) and I don't wanna be a insensitive bastard.

You're logical heheh.... you tell me.

The advantage to being me on this BB is that to a certain extent people expect me to be harsh. I can ask the tough questions and usually people just think it is that same old arrogant SOB being himself.;)

You know Spock like unemotional, detached, just wants the answer.:LOL:

wazu
01-19-2003, 01:33 AM

Even if that is the case and if it is like I said long ago I do have sympathy for him. He should go to a party like this and hang with the guys he knows and if a woman talks to him just talk back. Do not imagine she is hitting on him and throw fear into, women are humans as well and could just want to be a friend. It does happen.

I was only factoring in the body weight to measure how many shots of whiskey he should throw down before the party.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:35 AM

The advantage to being me on this BB is that to a certain extent people expect me to be harsh. I can ask the tough questions and usually people just think it is that same old arrogant SOB being himself.;)

You know Spock like unemotional, detached, just wants the answer.:LOL:

cool... so wtf is the answer? :D it's on you baby :LOL:

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:37 AM

I was only factoring in the body weight to measure how many shots of whiskey he should throw down before the party.

Oops sorry, but if the guy did 10 whiskey shots in a row and did not pass out you can figure he doesn't weigh 150. 4 shots though would pretty much put a 350 pounder over the legal limit for driving.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:38 AM
Adam... you think hes legit?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-19-2003, 01:38 AM
Also, GC, it doesn't matter that you are a big nerd. Who cares? And don't say that you like the star wars crap and would rather do that stuff than go to one of those parties you mention. You can balance it out. You can still like the star wars crap, and have a social life.

I know you got it in you. If you are posing and this isn't real...oh well, we all look stupid, but if you aren't posing, good luck to you.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:39 AM

Oops sorry, but if the guy did 10 whiskey shots in a row and did not pass out you can figure he doesn't weigh 150. 4 shots though would pretty much put a 350 pounder over the legal limit for driving.

You're assuming that he was being honest in that thread.

wazu
01-19-2003, 01:40 AM
Adam... you think hes legit?

Yes.

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:41 AM

cool... so wtf is the answer? :D it's on you baby :LOL:

I don't know if it is research but if he is not someone suffering from manic depression I am pretty darn sure this is not for real. He gets far too negative about himself and just keeps it up. If it is for real maybe this is a cry for help and he should seek out counseling instead of just lobbing these thing over the net seeminly hoping someone will smash him in the face with their return. I guess he could be a masochist as well. Course look at me and the rest of us we are not poster children for having a life going along with this post after post.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:45 AM

Yes.

well... I hope you're right, cause I keep tryin' even though he doesn't seem to listen.

Phobia
01-19-2003, 01:46 AM
My former brother in law was JUST Like this - that's why I have no problem believing him. I'm not sure why I give a shit, but I think the kid just needs encouragement. I sense a breakthrough happening, but I'm about through wasting all my time typing advice when it's apparent he hasn't followed ANY.

Logical
01-19-2003, 01:48 AM

well... I hope you're right, cause I keep tryin' even though he doesn't seem to listen.

Actually the fact that he keeps saying he cannot try this or could not try that is part of what makes me think Adam is wrong. I do not recall him once saying he would really make an effort to try something someone suggested that might be the slightest bit difficult. He would occasionally say things like I will keep that in mind or I will try to remember that or even that might be a good thought. Never the actual will to take an action that I can recall.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:50 AM

I don't know if it is research but if he is not someone suffering from manic depression I am pretty darn sure this is not for real. He gets far too negative about himself and just keeps it up. If it is for real maybe this is a cry for help and he should seek out counseling instead of just lobbing these thing over the net seeminly hoping someone will smash him in the face with their return. I guess he could be a masochist as well. Course look at me and the rest of us we are not poster children for having a life going along with this post after post.

If he's NOT bullshitting us... then I agree, he needs to see someone about his issues. All I know is... damn near every night... he's got a crisis that calls everyone on the planet to him. I've used the term "attention whore" more than once.... and I think it fits.

If it's bullshit, it's working well. I just don't understand why. I think he's fake... just dunno why he's doin' it.

InvinciBill
01-19-2003, 01:52 AM

if for no other reason, this is why I think he is not a fake. refer to post #67.

:hmmm:

Phobia
01-19-2003, 01:55 AM
He obviously doesn't get the attention he craves at home. He didn't start these antics until recently. He's getting very helpful advice and encouragement. He just needs to go through with some of it.

He's become pretty defensive a time or two - he's not a complete pushover. I dunno. I'm not an incredibly patient man with these types of situations. Eventually I'll wash my hands of him.

He has NO idea how critical it is that he acknowledge his desire to attend to the lady. None. That pisses me off.

I'm through with it today. Catch you guys later.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by InvinciBill

if for no other reason, this is why I think he is not a fake. refer to post #67.

:hmmm:

I assume someone from the planet was ****in' with him. (Phob?).... or maybe you bill? lol

but yes... the fact that he knew the name is.... well.... disturbing

InvinciBill
01-19-2003, 02:00 AM

I assume someone from the planet was ****in' with him. (Phob?).... or maybe you bill? lol

but yes... the fact that he knew the name is.... well.... disturbing

yeeees. someone was trying to get a rise out of him. It wasn't me, though. I wish I were that clever... or knowledgeable about Star Wars.

wait... not the last one.

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Phob... I didn't mean to piss ya off. I'm just tryin' to figure out what makes the guy tick. I've been right there givin' the best advice I could give... right along with everyone else. I have my doubts... but maybe I shoulda kept them quiet. Sorry man.

AustinChief
01-19-2003, 02:07 AM
ok ok ok... I am in Dallas (or close enough)... I haven't read this entire thread... but I have seen ENOUGH... I am BY FAR NOT the coolest or most suave guy in the world... but I think it may be time that I take gochiefs under my wing...

If he is willing to take me up on it.. I will introduce him to TONS of slutty girls in DFW that can help him out... OR if he isn't ready for that... I can at least take him out ON THE TOWN and he can watch me act like a complete idiot... and see how easy it is to play the fool and not CARE...

I personally think it is FEAR that is keeping gochiefs from expanding his horizons... we all have been there... a little alcohol and some EXPERIENCE is all he needs...

so..here is the offer... if gochiefs is willing... I'll try to acclimate him to the shallow, fake breasted, money grubbing nightlife that is DALLAS...

--Kyle

AustinChief
01-19-2003, 02:09 AM
btw...gochiefs... if I knew you were skipping the party you could have joined me down in Deep Elum with a boatload of slutty Dallas girls ...

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by AustinChief
ok ok ok... I am in Dallas (or close enough)... I haven't read this entire thread... but I have seen ENOUGH... I am BY FAR NOT the coolest or most suave guy in the world... but I think it may be time that I take gochiefs under my wing...

If he is willing to take me up on it.. I will introduce him to TONS of slutty girls in DFW that can help him out... OR if he isn't ready for that... I can at least take him out ON THE TOWN and he can watch me act like a complete idiot... and see how easy it is to play the fool and not CARE...

I personally think it is FEAR that is keeping gochiefs from expanding his horizons... we all have been there... a little alcohol and some EXPERIENCE is all he needs...

so..here is the offer... if gochiefs is willing... I'll try to acclimate him to the shallow, fake breasted, money grubbing nightlife that is DALLAS...

--Kyle

amen brotha... (can I come too?) :D

AustinChief
01-19-2003, 02:12 AM

amen brotha... (can I come too?) :D

sure thing! actually I just noticed you are from St. Joe... that is my hometown! ALSO teh hoemtown of Eminim and Walter Cronkite...where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended ...

--Kyle
(was never a big fan of the Cherry Mash though)

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 02:16 AM

sure thing! actually I just noticed you are from St. Joe... that is my hometown! ALSO teh hoemtown of Eminim and Walter Cronkite...where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended ...

--Kyle
(was never a big fan of the Cherry Mash though)

Lmao... sweet! Actually I just moved up here a few months ago.... (for a girl) didn't work out... go figure :huh:

I love the town though... low rent... hell i'm high class up here :D

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 02:18 AM
gotta love Em too.. check the sig ;)

AustinChief
01-19-2003, 02:19 AM

Lmao... sweet! Actually I just moved up here a few months ago.... (for a girl) didn't work out... go figure :huh:

I love the town though... low rent... hell i'm high class up here :D

ouch.. I know the feeling...

I was actually born and raised there... what bars do you hang out? screw this... if you have time go to the chat room I'll give you the skinny on my favorite places...

KcMizzou
01-19-2003, 02:21 AM

ouch.. I know the feeling...

I was actually born and raised there... what bars do you hang out? screw this... if you have time go to the chat room I'll give you the skinny on my favorite places...

ummm this is sad.... but i dunno how to go to the chat room. I'm kinda new I guess :huh:

AustinChief
01-19-2003, 02:23 AM

ummm this is sad.... but i dunno how to go to the chat room. I'm kinda new I guess :huh:
click on CHAT in the upper right corner...or just click here (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=12)

Redcoats58
01-19-2003, 02:23 AM

ummm this is sad.... but i dunno how to go to the chat room. I'm kinda new I guess :huh: up at the top of the screen is the chat click it

Rausch
01-19-2003, 02:44 AM
Dude, you have no idea...

One of these days I'm going to find my photo album and give you a before(geek) and after comparison....

I had to escape uber-geek myself. I did it though. It really isn't that hard. And at one time I had a mullet.....THAT's some shit that's hard to live down....

Valiant
01-19-2003, 03:28 AM
you need to do yourself a favor and come up here to kansas city so i can kick your ****ing ass...bejesus man, quit coping out...you are all excuses...

but,but,but,but....

how do you know this girl does not like star trek...for ****s sake, just try...dont make excuses...if she asks you where you were saturday night...tell i was talking to some guys on the chiefs board because i am to much of a ****ing wimp to try and have fun and get to know people on a civic level...

or you are just lieing your ass off about everything, and just want attention, which i think is more plausible...

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-19-2003, 03:31 AM

Nothing will help somebody get past social apprehension like a little alcohol.

I agree with Adam. I use this method myself. It definitely works

2 beers beforehand gets you loosened up. Good advice.
:toast:

stumppy
01-19-2003, 04:24 AM
I think he already knows what a lot of his problem is, and he scratched the surface in post #60 on this thread.
He said something to the effect of " One thing that has contributed to him being f*cked is that he used to be a Jehova Witness".
I'll apologize in advance if I offend any fellow planeteers with what I'm going to say.
What this means is that he has been taught, well, taught is putting it lightly,more like programed that he should not associate socially with anyone who is not a J.W. And, if at some time he did anything that went against the J.W.'s beliefs he would have been disassociated (correct term?) by all of the J.W.'s. Including his own family. Basically a person could be socially ostracized for what GC was trying to get the courage up to do tonight.
If GC was raised as a J.W. he's probably had few, if any, oppurtunities to be around regular Joes that party, drink, and chase tang on a regular basis. That could certainly make the idea of going to a party and picking up on some chick seem like a scary proposition. He'd be going into uncharted waters. And, on at least a subconscious level, feeling that it is just wrong to do that sort of thing would not make it any easier.
All the advice in the world about how to hit on the girl, how to act , what to do and what not to do isn't going to help. It boils down to his fear of the unknown. He's just gonna have to decide to do it.

Well ????
Just thrownig it out there. What do ya'all think?

:D

Just realized it's 5:30 . I hope this makes sense after I get some sleep.

Fat Elvis
01-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by BRAD_CAUDLE
Dude, you have no idea...

One of these days I'm going to find my photo album and give you a before(geek) and after comparison....

I had to escape uber-geek myself. I did it though. It really isn't that hard. And at one time I had a mullet.....THAT's some shit that's hard to live down....

If you are trying to escape the specter of bad hairdos, just be glad you weren't in high school or college during the 80's.

I had an ode to rockabilly, but I also had friends who paid tribute to A Flock of Seagulls.

The horror...the horror.....

Bootlegged
01-19-2003, 08:33 AM
This is pathetic.

RedNeckRaider
01-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Lattimer
This is pathetic. You must be one of them popular jock types ;)

patteeu
01-19-2003, 09:30 AM

--Kyle

Can you introduce me to TONS of slutty girls in DFW? .... uh... my wife is reading over my shoulder and she says that's not a great idea, so forget I asked. ;)

JimNasium
01-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Fat Elvis

If you are trying to escape the specter of bad hairdos, just be glad you weren't in high school or college during the 80's.

I had an ode to rockabilly, but I also had friends who paid tribute to A Flock of Seagulls.

The horror...the horror.....

Amen to that!

patteeu
01-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by stumppy
I think he already knows what a lot of his problem is, and he scratched the surface in post #60 on this thread.
He said something to the effect of " One thing that has contributed to him being f*cked is that he used to be a Jehova Witness".
I'll apologize in advance if I offend any fellow planeteers with what I'm going to say.
What this means is that he has been taught, well, taught is putting it lightly,more like programed that he should not associate socially with anyone who is not a J.W. And, if at some time he did anything that went against the J.W.'s beliefs he would have been disassociated (correct term?) by all of the J.W.'s. Including his own family. Basically a person could be socially ostracized for what GC was trying to get the courage up to do tonight.
If GC was raised as a J.W. he's probably had few, if any, oppurtunities to be around regular Joes that party, drink, and chase tang on a regular basis. That could certainly make the idea of going to a party and picking up on some chick seem like a scary proposition. He'd be going into uncharted waters. And, on at least a subconscious level, feeling that it is just wrong to do that sort of thing would not make it any easier.
All the advice in the world about how to hit on the girl, how to act , what to do and what not to do isn't going to help. It boils down to his fear of the unknown. He's just gonna have to decide to do it.

I was a lot like GoChiefs when I was younger. I wasn't quite the uber-nerd that he is, but I suffered from paralysing fear when confronted with the prospect of talking to girls that I found attractive. I can only imagine what being a former JW on top of that shyness will do for you. I found out later that even some of my closest friends thought I was either gay or asexual. But, in reality, I was probably one of the horniest, hetero chicken-$#its around.

GoChiefs, you've gotten a lot of good advice during the past 24 hours. I hope you can take a chance because it really isn't as scary as you think it is (I eventually learned that lesson). Just don't go into it expecting to get laid. Start slowly by getting to know people on a friendly, non-sexual level. After you're more comfortable socializing, then you can worry about moving on to romance.

Get in touch with Drunkinpublic the next time you have a party to go to. Its always a lot easier to be at a party when you have someone who you know will talk to you. It gets pretty awkward standing around at a party by yourself because you don't know how to enter into a smalltalk conversation.

BUT DON'T WASTE YOUR OPPORTUNITIES TO SOCIALIZE DURING YOUR COLLEGE YEARS. IT WILL BE MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO LEARN HOW AFTER YOU LEAVE COLLEGE.

ENDelt260
01-19-2003, 11:07 AM
I see there's a ton of replies to this, and I don't really have time to read them (tho, I think I know where they're going). Anyway, gochiefs sorry things didn't work out for you last night. Hope it works out better next time. And the offer still stands, if you ever find yourself in Phoenix give me a holler. We'll take you out and force you to have a good time. :)

Brock
01-19-2003, 11:11 AM
I was hoping this wasn't the case, but you are in need of therapy.

LegitimusGrim
01-19-2003, 11:20 AM
It's just very hard for me guys....I spend so many nights alone that it seems like that's the only way to do things. :sulk:

There are plenty of single available women at Sci-Fi conventions. Wait til April and I'll take you over to the Star Trek convention at the Doubletree in KC.

duncan_idaho
01-19-2003, 11:30 AM
gochiefs,

I'm sure you've heard this advice in some form over the course of the thread... but here it is.

I too used to be the way you are... thankfully, I was able to stand up, find some courage, and break out of my shell by the time I was a senior in high school... I've never made a better decision than the first time I took a chance and went to a party, even though I knew I would be uncomfortable there... life has been a lot better, and a lot more fun, since then.

Trust me, not everyone at parties like the one you passed up are as cool as they act or appear to be... inside, a lot of them are probably as nervous as you are... they just force themselves to ignore it. You can do it too... you just have to believe in yourself, and remember that life is too short to worry about whether people think you're a nerd.

Now, don't take the next part the wrong way, ok?

We had a heated discussion on the values/dangers of homeschooling a while back... if I remember correctly, your main argument there was that homeschooling was bad because they didn't get the social interaction needed to be useful members of society...

Think about that, you're doing the same thing you accused homeschoolers of... I'm not trying to rub anything in, I just thought that might help you find some motivation...

If I can have a healthy social life (that includes girls, parties, and alcohol) even though I was a lowly homeschooler, you can too! :)

Rausch
01-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Well, feeling sorry for yourself gets you nowhere.

This "I CAN'T" line of bullshit is for people who WANT to spend a weekend alone. If you don't WANT to be that guy then DON'T BE HIM!

Yes, it is that easy. EVERYONE changes. EVERYONE. You can't help it. You aren't who you are when you were 8. You won't be the same guy in 5 more years. Whoever you become is completely up to you.

And don't say "I'M not you man." No, you're not. I got tired of being you, and changed. If you don't like you don't be this you anymore.

If you saw pictures of me in 7th grade, then pictures of me as a freshman, then pics of me as a senior, then pics of me now you wouldn't even BELIEVE they were all four me. You'd be amazed.

HC_Chief
01-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Get some Paxil already.

Seriously - it will help. Sounds like you have social anxiety disorder (SAD). A lot of people have it... including my wife. Paxil helps tremendously.

Talk to your doctor.