PDA

View Full Version : Oh where, oh where has our running game gone?

Vortex Dweller
11-14-2000, 08:07 AM
Our running game sucks, and besides the defense, its the second biggest contributor of why we are losing games.

I don't think this problem exits because of a lack of talent, although that is a factor as well. It’s gotta be the scheme, offensive line, offensive coordinator, lack of heart or all our RBs suffering from a bad case of hemorrhoids. No NFL team with our talent should be so bad in the running game. I guess I’m just interested in what everybody thinks the problem is.

Also,
Its great to have this site back up.
Al Gore is gonna lose no matter how many recounts he gets.
Courtney Cox has great boobs.<BR>

Spott
11-14-2000, 08:26 AM
While we're not exactly swimming in pro-bowl RB talent, we do have some talent. Unfortunately that talent is being criminally misused.

It should be obvious to anyone that our traditional mano a mano style of run blocking isn't cutting it. We also have at least two RB's (Cloud, Anders) who can cut back. And Cloud is exceptional outside. The logical thing to do would be to employ trap blocking and counter runs. Also Blackshear is the replacement for Szott. Shields/Riley are intact. The logical thing would be to run to our right.

Do we see any of this? NO!!!! We have some talent but apparently we lack the brains to adapt and use it.

One Arrowhead Dave
11-14-2000, 08:27 AM
Our running game was successful for years because of a great interior three OL. Our scheme was predictable smashmouth and our HBs were mediocre at best, but those guys opened holes that even a mediocre HB could steamroll through.

Now Szott is out and Grunhard is injured [and perhaps Shields] and we have to rely on the scheme or the sheer talent of the HB to make yardage.

The scheme is one-dimensional and predictable. Up the middle or a draw on 3rd & forever. No misdirection, no motion, very few sweeps [and those were run with the slowest HBs on the planet]. No, our OC is not going to save our running game with an innovative scheme.

The HBs are all average. There is not a superstar in the bunch. Each HB has one, maybe two things he does well. No HB on our roster is versatile enough to be the every down back. We hoped that Anders could be The Man, but he has obviously lost a lot more than just "a step" to his injury. No, our HBs are not going to save our running game with physical talent.

Our ground game will not improve until we
1. redesign our OL
2. obtain an every down back
3. revise our scheme to include runs that do not go up the Center's butt.

xoxo~
gaz
sees no serious improvement [and no playoffs as a result] this season.<BR>

One Arrowhead Dave
11-14-2000, 08:28 AM
#1 is doable. We have a pair of good Tackles and some current OL starters who would provide good depth. Alford could pan out as a draft steal. We can rebuild our OL via the draft and find some cap-friendly depth in FA.

#2 is doable. It will take some capanomic maneuvering, but that is one of the areas in which Carl excels. Lose some aging players [Hasty, Szott, Grunhard, Anders], underachievers [Gray, Bennett, Cloud] and cap hogs [Shields, McGlockton, Williams] and obtain the services of an every down HB in FA.

#3 is questionable with our current OC. Yes, our passing game has exploded, but our ground game still stinks. Is Raye capable of opening up the rushing attack? I am a Raybasher, so I will leave this question up to you folks.

xoxo~
gaz
calculates a 67% chance of an improved ground game in '01.<BR>

Warrior5
11-14-2000, 08:54 AM
Gaz, the only reason I am not bashing Raye, is because I think we need to start with Gunther, then a new HC takes care of Raye, Kurt, Stock, Shaw and the rest. I think your plan for the most part is sound. I don't think getting a stud RB is doable, because of the cap. But as you pointed out, just getting one sturdy enough, probably is. If Shields is out for a week or two, we are going to find out about his replacement, either way, I believe he is gone after this year. But irregardless, if CP does not give Gun the Christmas present, he doesn't want, nothing, personnel changes will make no difference. Gun should be fired the day after the season, and CP should already be thinking of his replacement.

Vortex Dweller
11-14-2000, 09:15 AM
KCred,

I don't think giving Gun his walking papers is the answer. I would like to see him remain in the organization becauase: A: He has heart and that WILL take you to a super bowl. B: He would go somewhere else in the AFC west and kill us.

He needs to come to the same realization that every other succesfull business man has. That loayltiy in business goes to the man who can do the job and not to your amigos. <P>